Type keyword(s) to search

All Episodes Talk: All Rise

Message added by Meredith Quill

Community Manager Note

Official notice that the topic of Sean DeMarco is off limits. If you have 1-on-1 thoughts to complete please take it to PM with each other.

If you have questions, contact the forum moderator @PrincessPurrsALot.  Do not discuss this limit to this discussion in here. Doing so will result in a warning. 

• Start Topic

14 minutes ago, PsychoKlown said:

I do find it sad that he had his first child at 17 years of age.

Nothing unusual about that on this show! 16 - 19 seems to be the most popular age range for litigants to start pumping them out. I'm sure a lot of them do it because they think they can catch some worthless guy that way or they just want a baby to play with because it seems like fun, but lots aren't even doing it on purpose, I don't think. Using birth control just never occurs to them. Duh, why would it?

• Love 5

We also watch Paternity Court.  Very eye-opening, that show.  Truly, using birth control never occurs to them.  The judge never even asks!  I just find it ludicrous, in this day and age, that unprotected sex with multiple partners is still being practiced, and it seems these people don't even know how the babies happen!  Isn't the Pill free from Planned Parenthood?  Also condoms.  SMDH.

• Love 7
7 hours ago, Brattinella said:

Isn't the Pill free from Planned Parenthood?  Also condoms.  SMDH.

These items are also available at any college health center.

Oh, that's right...all the numerous college students on JJ and PC go to "online" college. 

Maybe that's the hook - when the online college sends co-eds the obligatory free computer perhaps they should tuck in a box (or three) of condoms into the postal box.  Come to think of it since you, me and Byrd are paying for it send a few extra boxes just in case.

Nomesayin? (Last one, I promise)

9 hours ago, Brattinella said:

Truly, using birth control never occurs to them.  The judge never even asks!

I've never seen that show, but whenever JJ has axed some "I found out I was pregnant!" girl about birth control or mentioned there are ways of preventing !surprise! blessed events, she got only a blank stare, a shrug or a foolish giggle, as though having a baby is just a minor oopsy.

2 hours ago, PsychoKlown said:

when the online college sends co-eds the obligatory free computer perhaps they should tuck in a box (or three) of condoms into the postal box.

As if they would use them. We saw a 42-year old woman let a goofy teenager knock her up and some other old broad who was gravid with twins (never forget JJ: "I don't care if you were pregnant with sextuplets!") when she couldn't even pay her rent.

• Love 3
3 minutes ago, AngelaHunter said:

she got only a blank stare, a shrug or a foolish giggle, as though having a baby is just a minor oopsy.

Ha! Pretty funny!

And condoms are available at every high school as well. My son came home one day with a handful. They gave each boy a supply in Health Class. I knew they were going to teach human sexuality. It was just jarring to see my baby with condoms in his pocket. His girlfriend goes to a different school. They, too, can stop by the nurse anytime - no questions asked - and grab protection.

• Love 5
12 hours ago, PsychoKlown said:

And by my calculations (using a top-of-the-line calculator recently purchased at BJ's) I am going to conservatively estimate that he will be the happy pappy to another eight or nine little munchkins.  I do find it sad that he had his first child at 17 years of age.  Poor mom better get used to a swinging door of grandchildren parading in and out of her life.  Unfortunately her useless son will always be just a "handout away".

Nomesayin?  (Ha, I speak jive too Sandy Toes, not as well as Brattinella or June Cleaver but I know enough to just get by). 

I noticed when I was in high school (late 80's/early 90's) there was this shift in attitudes.  I don't believe young mothers should be hidden away, like in my mom's days (she graduated in the mid 60's, and she lost her 3 good friends in her senior year because they all got pregnant and they were forced to leave school), but by the same token, it seems to be celebrated now, and I'm not sure we should be doing that either.  A relative of mine got pregnant in high school (we are the same age) and I got an invite to her shower, complete with list of things she wanted.  I refused to go on principal.  I didn't see the point of rewarding her.  A co-worker's son got his girlfriend pregnant in high school.  He picked out a prom dress for her that "showed off her big belly", as if it's a sign of his manhood.  I've seen combo grad parties/baby showers on FB, and a senior photo shoot with a guy and his baby.  A friend in college had a brother who seemed to be a perpetual screw-up.  Worked for family for cash under the table.  He was in his late 20's.  There was a news story about a woman who had a boyfriend who murdered her son (it wasn't the boyfriend's kid).  Came to find out it was this guy's brother's kid.  I saw his brother and said how sorry I was that his son died.  He said thanks, and thankfully he had more kids.  None of these kids were ever around.  I said "Oh", rather stunned.  Turns out he had TWELVE more kids.  So that's 13 total.  He had to have been sleeping with legions of women, and I wondered how many of these kids were the same age, and how many had the same moms.  He didn't support any of them.  He grinned and beat his chest every time someone mentioned how many kids he had.  I wanted to puke.  I just don't get this mentality.  I'm sorry his son was murdered - it's horrible - but he only seemed sad that it took one away from his count.  I hate people sometimes.....

Edited by funky-rat
Continuity
  • Love 7
28 minutes ago, funky-rat said:

A relative of mine got pregnant in high school (we are the same age) and I got an invite to her shower, complete with list of things she wanted.  I refused to go on principal.  I didn't see the point of rewarding her. 

Eh, I'm kinda torn on this. On the one hand, I see your point. She should have been studying, not sleeping around. On the other hand, she was about to be a teenage mother. She paid the price for her poor decisions. Even with help, her world would never be the same. Sure, the party and gifts seem like a reward, but really, I'm sure it was a shock to all concerned. She probably needed everything.

• Love 2
37 minutes ago, funky-rat said:

, (Teenaged pregnancy)seems to be celebrated now, and I'm not sure we should be doing that either. 

There are lots of things that are praised and celebrated today and I guess I'm just not getting it. Most teenagers, and many adults (remember Stepford Wife - mother of six and pregnant again on this show who had all the kids taken away?), cannot be trusted not to let a goldfish or other pet starve once the novelty wears off. A crying, needy, totally dependant baby? Imagine how quickly the pleasure of the constant care wears off. Then it's "Here, Mom  - you take over. I've got better things to do. Par-taaay!"

• Love 5
1 hour ago, Hockeymom said:

Eh, I'm kinda torn on this. On the one hand, I see your point. She should have been studying, not sleeping around. On the other hand, she was about to be a teenage mother. She paid the price for her poor decisions. Even with help, her world would never be the same. Sure, the party and gifts seem like a reward, but really, I'm sure it was a shock to all concerned. She probably needed everything.

But she WILL have help, tons of it, paid by you and me and Byrd.  WIC and Welfare and Sec 8 housing etc etc.  She hasn't and won't pay the price, ever.

• Love 7

Poor Byrd.

With all the money he shells out for unplanned pregnancies, housing, food, hooptys (or is it hoopties?), tattoos, piercings, car notes, rims, and on-line college tuition how in the world does he afford the crossword puzzle books.

It's a puzzle to me.

7 minutes ago, PsychoKlown said:

With all the money he shells out for unplanned pregnancies, housing, food, hooptys (or is it hoopties?), tattoos, piercings, car notes, rims, and on-line college tuition how in the world does he afford the crossword puzzle books.

This is true. I"m redoing my bathroom and was hoping to somehow get Byrd to pay for it, but I guess he's tapped out.

7 minutes ago, stewedsquash said:

No comments on the guy was drinking the water like he was at a backyard cookout? Has anyone just held on to the glass of water, like he was holding a can of beer?

To me, he seemed to be quite stoned, half-drunk or maybe severely hung over.

8 minutes ago, stewedsquash said:

. I wanted Byrd to go over on his own and say Listen, stop drinking the water like you are hanging with the Judge, she ain't your friend, this ain't a back yard get together and take the glass and the water and give it to a person off camera. 

Remember once JJ told Byrd to go take some silly nitwit's water away? He wasn't too happy about it, but he did it.

• Love 5
3 hours ago, Hockeymom said:

I would agree, but she went on to have more before she was done with school.  Poor example set by her siblings (one had 4 by the time she was 19 - all different dads - the other one had one kid but denied him until he got married, and his adopted son wanted a brother for Christmas - then he cared enough to search him out).  I sometimes forget not everyone knows my family.  Yes, she needed stuff, but it was the party aspect that bothered me.  YMMV.

• Love 8
18 minutes ago, stewedsquash said:

No comments on the guy was drinking the water like he was at a backyard cookout? Has anyone just held on to the glass of water, like he was holding a can of beer? And moving the pitcher to right in front of him for ease of many, many refills? I expected it to become empty and for him to raise the pitcher up, with a head tilt to Byrd, as in Yo, can I get a refill on this? Seriously, dude was so damn laid back, and smirky, and just so damn casual about the whole process.

I thought maybe he was auditioning for all the parts Johnny Depp had to turn down because he was too tall for them.  Surprised he didn't pull a cigarette from behind his ear and light up.

I felt a little bad for the older guy until the hallterview, when he said, "No good deed goes unpunished."  Seriously, dude?  What good deed was that?  Rear-ending Mini-Depp or not paying for the damage?  Seriously.

• Love 3

but this woman single handedly (now that helper hubby has a job) manages to care for a dozen, and does such a good job strangers are willing to pay her money to watch their precious babies.

Only answer is that she's a cheap provider. I think she charged $20 a day per kid IIRC and that is a massive bargain.

I had a neighbor some years back who did "day care" and she would pester me to leave my kid with her. She was cheap. And her idea of taking care of kids entailed penning them up in a very small bedroom and turning the TV to the Disney Channel while she did her daily chores. She even proudly highlighted the Disney Channel as a feature to be proud of in her flyers. 

Decent day care is expensive. 

But she WILL have help, tons of it, paid by you and me and Byrd.  WIC and Welfare and Sec 8 housing etc etc.  She hasn't and won't pay the price, ever.

I respectfully disagree . She will pay a price, although she might not realize it until she's old enough to realize what she missed.

Living in Sec 8 housing isn't all that attractive. Having a kid means being tied down and missing out on the things that make being a young adult so much fun.  Long term, her life will be diminished by this. 

• Love 2
22 minutes ago, Mondrianyone said:

I felt a little bad for the older guy until the hallterview, when he said, "No good deed goes unpunished."  Seriously, dude?  What good deed was that?  Rear-ending Mini-Depp or not paying for the damage?  Seriously.

Yep, a real puzzler, what good deed? Ah well, it is what it is. ?

• Love 4
1 hour ago, bad things are bad said:

She will pay a price, although she might not realize it until she's old enough to realize what she missed.

Really, I don't care about her. She made her own choices. It's the kid(s) who will suffer for what she does, probably subjected to a string of different men coming and going, being shunted one place to another, living in substandard housing, and that's the damned shame of it because they didn't get to choose.

• Love 3
6 hours ago, funky-rat said:

I noticed when I was in high school (late 80's/early 90's) there was this shift in attitudes.

I was also in high school in the 80s, and for lack of a better way to put it, at some point shame went out of style. I don't think teenaged mothers should be shut away or sent into exile either - kids are dumb, and because they're dumb they make a lot of dumb decisions before they mature and start to think before they act. But there's a big dividing line between sending a pregnant sixteen year old off "to her aunt's for the summer" and seeing a woman who couldn't be much more than 23 with a baby on her hip and a couple of five or six years olds in the grocery store. And when the female litigants who talk about "finding out" that they were pregnant as if its a Scooby Doo mystery they're trying to solve, it isn't just depressing, its rage-making.

*hops off soapbox*

• Love 12
1 hour ago, AngelaHunter said:

Really, I don't care about her. She made her own choices. It's the kid(s) who will suffer for what she does, probably subjected to a string of different men coming and going, being shunted one place to another, living in substandard housing, and that's the damned shame of it because they didn't get to choose.

The only thing we know about her is what Funky-rat told us. It looks like she didn't make poor choices in a vacuum. Her other siblings were having multiple teenage pregnancies as well. So I think we do need to care about her, or the cycle continues. 

And this is a whole lot of speculation. Not all teenage mothers end up this way. Many finish school, get jobs, and have happy lives. 

It's a mind set. Those who want to do better, do better. Those who are tied to a cycle of failure and apathy don't. People who live that way are expecting to fail - because no cared enough about them to demonstrate a better way. Apologies to Funky-rat, but if two girls in one family had six pregnancies in high school, and the brother had one child he denied, that looks like a cycle of failure. 

So yes, we need to care about teenage parents so they can care enough about themselves to want more for themselves. To show them the possibility beyond their limited beliefs - so they can create a healthy reality for their kids to embrace.

*hopping off my soapbox as well*

Edited by Hockeymom
Realized I was pontificating
  • Love 5

Def: "I have a video of the accident"

JJ: "Well. I'd love to see it."

Shot of car driving through parking garage with nobody else around. Obviously from a cell phone, not security vid.

JJ: "You're showing me what you think is a re-creation of the accident."

Def: "Yes."

• Love 5

So I'm visiting with my 80-ish aunt today while she's in town.  We talked insurance at one point and she mentions in an aside, that "Sometimes, when there's nothing else on...." she watches Judge Judy, and is surprised how seldom people have car insurance.  Ha!  Cracked me up.  Welcome to the Fun Table, Auntie!   Embrace the Judyness! No apologies for watching here!  It was so funny.  I showed her the clip of the two dumbest defendants ever. (Yeah, you know the ones. )   I made sure she knew that JJ comes on two times a day, on two different channels, for four times the fun.  She also agreed that our favorite judge does seem a little crankier these days.  

• Love 8

They had a case today where a young man said he was walking in a parking garage and a guy in a BMW hit him in the leg with his tire.  Plaintiff said defendant didn't have insurance, defendant said he did.  He showed his ID card from Geico as proof.  What a crock.  There are a LOT of people who get a 1-year policy, setting it up for monthly payments.  They get their ID card when they make the down payment, and they never make another payment . . . but they still have the ID card.  I think if the issue of whether there was insurance AT THE TIME OF THE ACCIDENT is challenged, somebody needs to call the insurance company to confirm it is uninterrupted coverage from the beginning of the term to the current date.  

• Love 7
32 minutes ago, AZChristian said:

They had a case today where a young man said he was walking in a parking garage and a guy in a BMW hit him in the leg with his tire.  Plaintiff said defendant didn't have insurance, defendant said he did.  He showed his ID card from Geico as proof.  What a crock.  There are a LOT of people who get a 1-year policy, setting it up for monthly payments.  They get their ID card when they make the down payment, and they never make another payment . . . but they still have the ID card.  I think if the issue of whether there was insurance AT THE TIME OF THE ACCIDENT is challenged, somebody needs to call the insurance company to confirm it is uninterrupted coverage from the beginning of the term to the current date.  

That's the guy with the video. His "defense" was he didn't think he needed to call the insurance because he didn't see any injury. JJ is usually pretty good at ferreting out people who let it lapse and her final words to him were that he should've let insurance deal with it, so it's possible he did have it and just didn't want an incident on his record.

• Love 2
On ‎8‎/‎4‎/‎2017 at 10:12 PM, AZChristian said:

They had a case today where a young man said he was walking in a parking garage and a guy in a BMW hit him in the leg with his tire.   

While watching the plaintiff and his girlfriend in that case I thought that whoever has him as a son (or her as a daughter) is quite lucky.  The plaintiff struck me as someone who is honest and hardworking.  His demeanor was quite respectful even when the jackass defendant was lying through his teeth.  His girlfriend appeared the same way. 

A rarity on the court shows I watch.

Is it just me, or is Judge Judy getting crankier?  I taped about 40 episodes and have been binge-watching.  I've watched JJ off and on for years, but wow, she is getting worse.  A few times she told the person, "You're lying" when quite frankly it didn't seem like they were lying.  I'm sure JJ has seen and heard a lot but in recent episodes it appears that she pretty much makes up her mind without letting the person speak.

• Love 6
4 hours ago, Phoebe70 said:

Is it just me, or is Judge Judy getting crankier?  I taped about 40 episodes and have been binge-watching.  I've watched JJ off and on for years, but wow, she is getting worse.  A few times she told the person, "You're lying" when quite frankly it didn't seem like they were lying.  I'm sure JJ has seen and heard a lot but in recent episodes it appears that she pretty much makes up her mind without letting the person speak.

Yes!

I've noticed it too. She'll decide how it happened, and then get upset if the facts deviate from that narrative. Don't get me wrong, I LOVE JJ. She has a spot on bullshit detector. I just think that sometimes she believes that everyone behaves in a certain way and won't hear otherwise. 

There was one case, and admittedly, I don't remember all the details, but she absolutely would not believe that someone would leave groceries in the car while they ran errands. The litigant explained that it was below freezing that day so the milk was just fine for a few minutes in the car. She was having none of it. 

Another time someone said they left money in the glove compartment of their car. Again, I don't remember specifics, but she gave the whole, if it doesn't make sense it didn't happen speech. She couldn't believe that someone would leave cash in the glove box.

Well, unless I have ice cream, I will totally run errands with groceries in the car. I used to go shopping while my son was at practice. Instead of sitting in a freezing ice rink just waiting, I would try to knock out some errands. Groceries are not going to go bad after a short time in a parked car -  in the middle of winter, especially with the window cracked. 

And I always have money in the glove box! If my son has the car, I don't want him to be stuck. I have some cash, a few WaWa gift cards, and a AAA card in case he has an emergency. 

Is this a risk? Maybe. But if our locked car gets vandalized, we have a bigger problem than a few gift cards.

Edited by Hockeymom
Darn autocorrect
  • Love 6

I noticed when I was in high school (late 80's/early 90's) there was this shift in attitudes.  I don't believe young mothers should be hidden away, like in my mom's days (she graduated in the mid 60's, and she lost her 3 good friends in her senior year because they all got pregnant and they were forced to leave school), but by the same token, it seems to be celebrated now, and I'm not sure we should be doing that either. 

In the late 1970s in my high school, several girls just disappeared.  No explanation offered, no one knew why.  If their friends knew, they weren't talking. They didn't move out of town, or drop out.  I mean, Cheryl G- was sitting next to me one day in journalism class, and the next day she was gone.  Never seen again.  Now, of course, I realize that they probably had abortions and then their parents transferred them to other high schools in the area.  But at the time, it was a mystery.

• Love 2
On ‎8‎/‎4‎/‎2017 at 4:45 PM, Hockeymom said:

The only thing we know about her is what Funky-rat told us. It looks like she didn't make poor choices in a vacuum. Her other siblings were having multiple teenage pregnancies as well. So I think we do need to care about her, or the cycle continues. 

And this is a whole lot of speculation. Not all teenage mothers end up this way. Many finish school, get jobs, and have happy lives. 

It's a mind set. Those who want to do better, do better. Those who are tied to a cycle of failure and apathy don't. People who live that way are expecting to fail - because no cared enough about them to demonstrate a better way. Apologies to Funky-rat, but if two girls in one family had six pregnancies in high school, and the brother had one child he denied, that looks like a cycle of failure. 

So yes, we need to care about teenage parents so they can care enough about themselves to want more for themselves. To show them the possibility beyond their limited beliefs - so they can create a healthy reality for their kids to embrace.

*hopping off my soapbox as well*

No need to apologize.  That part of the family is all kinds of effed up.  I was merely using her as an example of the first time I recall being invited to a baby shower for a high school student, and that I thought it was ballsy to demand we only buy certain branded things, etc.  In actuality, both of her kids had the same dad (can't say the same for her siblings), and then she suffered a tragedy (it was bad) and she was forced to grow up in a hurry.  Out of the 3, she's the most successful - runs her own business, settled down with a nice man who adopted her kids and has a great job, etc.  I have no use for the other two.  They're a waste of space.  Now I see it all over social media, etc, about baby showers for 16 year olds - big fancy ones with expensive stuff, and I just shake my head because you're sending a message that it's a good way to get attention, and get stuff, but no one is thinking of the kids through all of this.  When the aforementioned cousin ended up being a fairly young grandmother, she didn't celebrate, or have a shower, or demand things, like when she found out she was pregnant.  It was handled quietly, but with dignity and class, and support.  And both of her kids are doing very well now too, but they had a better example.

1 hour ago, Sarcastico said:

In the late 1970s in my high school, several girls just disappeared.  No explanation offered, no one knew why.  If their friends knew, they weren't talking. They didn't move out of town, or drop out.  I mean, Cheryl G- was sitting next to me one day in journalism class, and the next day she was gone.  Never seen again.  Now, of course, I realize that they probably had abortions and then their parents transferred them to other high schools in the area.  But at the time, it was a mystery.

Or she got sent to a home for unwed mothers where the baby would be put up for adoption.  We had a few go to one of those - usually disappeared when they started to have to wear baggy clothes, but they generally came back and used boarding school or something as an excuse, but people talked, and it would get around.  I went to an affluent school district (but we were middle class), and people's families really cared about their reputations.  There was a girl who was a year ahead of me who had 3 by the time she graduated, but she kept hers.  Not sure why her family wasn't more involved.  They weren't one of the "big names", but still.....  I remember some of the snottier families complaining because the girl was a cheerleader, and she'd have strollers on the sidelines, and they felt that was scandalous and setting a poor example.  We always knew because she'd disappear for a few months, but after the first one, she made no effort to hide why, because it was pointless.  We always assumed she was sent to a special school for unwed mothers where she could keep up with her classes.

• Love 3

Question, because I don't know - is the Attorney General the person to inform because you've been sold a dog you wanted to breed but then couldn't because of health issues, and then the previous owner says she'll give you a full refund if you give the dog back? Only you don't want to give the dog back because you love the dog, you just want the money back and the dog?

My head hurts.

• Love 8
20 minutes ago, Cobalt Stargazer said:

Question, because I don't know - is the Attorney General the person to inform because you've been sold a dog you wanted to breed but then couldn't because of health issues, and then the previous owner says she'll give you a full refund if you give the dog back? Only you don't want to give the dog back because you love the dog, you just want the money back and the dog?

My head hurts.

My only idea about the Attorney General stuff is: was this an interstate sale?  What really impressed me was that she was SO RIGHTEOUS.  She just really figured she should have the dog and the money.  Yeesh.

• Love 4
13 minutes ago, Brattinella said:

is the Attorney General the person to inform because you've been sold a dog you wanted to breed

I think that the plaintiff was one of those vexatious litigants who will appeal to any and all possible levels of government and agencies, and will do it repeatedly even after being told their complaints are either absurd or not under the purview of the judicial or administrative tribunals they complained to (sometimes simultaneously).

Righteousness makes them blind and deaf to reason, logic and common sense.

I am sure I am not the only one on this board who has crossed paths with people like that.

Edited by Florinaldo
  • Love 7
15 hours ago, Cobalt Stargazer said:

My head hurts.

I was surprised that JJ thought it was crazy that the defendant filed a restraining order on the plaintiff.  The defendant mentioned that she lived in a rural area and that several people were coming onto her property.  It sounded like there was more to that story but JJ didn't want to hear it.  I didn't get the impression that the defendant was doing it out of retaliation.

• Love 9
9 hours ago, Phoebe70 said:

I was surprised that JJ thought it was crazy that the defendant filed a restraining order on the plaintiff.  The defendant mentioned that she lived in a rural area and that several people were coming onto her property.  It sounded like there was more to that story but JJ didn't want to hear it.  I didn't get the impression that the defendant was doing it out of retaliation.

I really wanted to hear more about that, because the defendant seemed very honest, and I believe the plaintiff DID post nasty things on the internet to get people to go provoke the def.  Living in a rural area and having a very detached home usually does not mean lots of strangers visiting.

• Love 6
On ‎8‎/‎7‎/‎2017 at 7:44 PM, Cobalt Stargazer said:

My head hurts.

On ‎8‎/‎7‎/‎2017 at 8:07 PM, Brattinella said:

My only idea about the Attorney General stuff is: was this an interstate sale?  What really impressed me was that she was SO RIGHTEOUS.  She just really figured she should have the dog and the money.  Yeesh.

We didn't get this ep (we had bad storms pre-empt stuff) but depending on what state they're in, it may be the way they had to go.  In our state, the AG office is the one that handles consumer protection.  If you want to complain about a business, you go through them.  I've had to do it twice over the years, sadly.

• Love 1

We need to petition for another change in the dictionary. We managed to get "conversated" legitimized, and "currently" is in urgent need of updating:

cur·rent·ly

ˈkərəntlē/

adverb

adverb: currently

at the present time.    at some past time

"I was currently working there/incarcerated/drunk/pregnant at that time."

• Love 10
On ‎8‎/‎4‎/‎2017 at 1:41 PM, stewedsquash said:

No comments on the guy was drinking the water like he was at a backyard cookout? Has anyone just held on to the glass of water, like he was holding a can of beer? And moving the pitcher to right in front of him for ease of many, many refills? I expected it to become empty and for him to raise the pitcher up, with a head tilt to Byrd, as in Yo, can I get a refill on this? Seriously, dude was so damn laid back, and smirky, and just so damn casual about the whole process. He was sneaky as hell, with his interactions with JJ, and with his testimony about what happened, what he expected money wise. I am putting him at the top of my most hated list of litigants. Above even Carleonitisous (seriously trying to remember how to spell his long stupid name), shown in the next case (sued by his Defense working mother for a car and furniture payments, multiple kids). I mean, yeah, sure he was kind of entitled acting also, but water drinking dude? I just can't get over how relaxed he was with the damn water!! And that JJ didn't go all over him about it. I wanted Byrd to go over on his own and say Listen, stop drinking the water like you are hanging with the Judge, she ain't your friend, this ain't a back yard get together and take the glass and the water and give it to a person off camera. 

Thank you Stewed!! I had the same reaction, and I was waiting for JJ to go ballistic. I am an attorney and in 30 years of practice have NEVER poured a glass of the water in the courtroom. Ever.

• Love 3

I am an attorney and in 30 years of practice have NEVER poured a glass of the water in the courtroom. Ever.

Well, another view is that for you a courtroom is a normal part of everyday life, for many people it is a strange and stressful environment. It is inappropriate to stop in the middle of a statement as a delaying action by drinking water, but if you are not in the middle of anything, this should not be a problem. My opinion may be influenced by the fact that a side effect of my prescription medication  is pretty severe dry mouth. Of course, if I was foolish to go in front of JJ, I can just imagine the dialog:

Do you take any medication?

Yes, I ...

Aha, you take drugs! Are you under the influence of any medication now?

Well yes, ...

AHA! You are under the influence of drugs.

No chance to say that yes, due to the medication my mouth is dry and my blood pressure is 15 mm lower than it would be without.

Edited by DoctorK
clarification of intent
  • Love 4

I am an attorney and in 30 years of practice have NEVER poured a glass of the water in the courtroom. Ever.

We don't use the water glasses because one local lawyer pokes holes in all of the (styrofoam) cups.  It's fun to watch out of town counsel learn that lesson. 

• Love 6
1 hour ago, Quof said:

We don't use the water glasses because one local lawyer pokes holes in all of the (styrofoam) cups.

Too bad JJ uses plastic cups. I could see Byrd using his crossword pencil for some nefarious purposes should he ever get bored between cases. 

3 hours ago, Quof said:

We don't use the water glasses because one local lawyer pokes holes in all of the (styrofoam) cups.  It's fun to watch out of town counsel learn that lesson. 

That is hilarious. That's what they need on JJ - Dribble Glasses. Hilarity would ensue.

• Love 5
2 hours ago, basiltherat said:

You lose a case -- pie in the face!

I've always favoured the trap door - JJ turns to Byrd - "Hit it" , Byrd pulls the handle,  trap door opens under litigants as their cries of, "What about my pain and suffering/computer/cell phone bill??" echo around the room.

• Love 15
14 minutes ago, AngelaHunter said:

I've always favoured the trap door - JJ turns to Byrd - "Hit it" , Byrd pulls the handle,  trap door opens under litigants as their cries of, "What about my pain and suffering/computer/cell phone bill??" echo around the room.

It's official.  I love you.

• Love 8
45 minutes ago, Spunkygal said:

In one of today's new episodes, was that Angelina Jolie's blonde twin sitting behind Luke, the car boyfriend who had the world's smallest manbun?

She's been there periodically since last November.  I posted about it then, but nobody else commented on the resemblance, so I started thinking it was just my imagination.  I guess not!

• Love 6
1 hour ago, Spunkygal said:

In one of today's new episodes, was that Angelina Jolie's blonde twin sitting behind Luke, the car boyfriend who had the world's smallest manbun?

I'd never seen her until today, but yeah, she looks a lot like Angelina. Also, Melysa (gah) called the cops and said the car had been stolen because her on-again off-again boyfriend didn't make the February payment. I'm not sure Luke has a manbun, though, I think its a pathetic attempt at a topknot.

JJ to Melysa's (gah) new boyfriend, I guess - "Do I look like I need help from you?"

• Love 8

JFC, like, holy shit - WTF? In the rent case (they got a 3-bedroom place for 99$/mth) I thought I was watching a long-lost episode of "Tripping the Rift." Total freak show populated with unemployed mutants who do nothing all day, all of them being fed, clothed and housed by the long-suffering Byrd.  Well, okay - bizarre little hobbit def peddles t-shirts on EBay or whatever, and for damned sure pays no taxes. The sad part is that he was the best of them.

In the "Mysterious Case of the Blown BMW Engine" ep., it seems Mrs. Silva couldn't appear because she had a slight "misunderstanding" with the authorities at the airport.  By this time, I was laughing so much I couldn't watch the next case. Oh, god, here I go again.

• Love 6
45 minutes ago, Mondrianyone said:

She's been there periodically since last November.  I posted about it then, but nobody else commented on the resemblance, so I started thinking it was just my imagination.  I guess not!

I had not noticed her before....I don't usually pay that much attention to the audience but Angelina Jr. was sitting right behind manbun. Some time ago I did notice someone else who looked like she was napping. I'm sure I read your comment when you posted but I quickly delete the carnage off my DVR before coming here, so missed her. She should hook up with Brad!

• Love 4