Type keyword(s) to search

All Episodes Talk: All Rise

Message added by Meredith Quill

Community Manager Note

Official notice that the topic of Sean DeMarco is off limits. If you have 1-on-1 thoughts to complete please take it to PM with each other.

If you have questions, contact the forum moderator @PrincessPurrsALot.  Do not discuss this limit to this discussion in here. Doing so will result in a warning. 

• Start Topic

3 minutes ago, bad things are bad said:

I missed the case, was this person an actual "nurse" or one of those $10/hour assistants? 

She was a nurse. She did not actually get fired from what she said she resigned. I wonder if it was in lieu of being terminated.

• Love 2
21 hours ago, Cobalt Stargazer said:

My mother is a retired LPN who worked for the Red Cross, and she says that a competent nurse can draw blood if its drawable in one or two tries, without hurting the patient. Sometimes the veins simply won't cooperate even if you're able to find one, and while she went to nursing school before I was born and went back to work later in life, I can't believe that standards have been lowered that much.

In Massachusetts there's the three strikes and you're out law.  After three tries they send in another nurse and let him/her have a whack at your veins.  I find whenever I have to have blood drawn I'm apologizing like a crazy person for my hidden veins.  The nurses seem more upset that they're letting me down rather than not being able to find a vein.

Good nurses are worth a million bucks.

Edited by PsychoKlown
Don't want to be sexist

Today's case was Much Ado About Kayak. Those two loons deserve each other. Did defendant get hit in the mouth with a paddle? 

What is up with yet another to be continued case? Both of those guys are, indeed, wackadoodle asses (thanks, @Cobalt Stargazer!) I know I'm going to get dog piled on, but the cyclists in my neighborhood think they own the road and the walking trail. One looked right at my sister who was walking her dog on her side of the walking trail and smashed right into her. The cyclist went topsyturvy head over heels and got the worst of that collision. Sis is a competitive power lifter and she kept her balance!

• Love 16

Apparently it's Comedy Night tonight.

A young woman is suing her ex-boyfriend for money she loaned him after he came back from California to Nebraska, and he says he sent her six hundred dollars a month as child support since he's the father of her kid. JJ asked her how much he'd been sending, and she says it was more like three hundred a month. She's trying to get the guy to tell her where he was living in June, and he said he was living with his mom, but it turns out they were pretty much still sleeping together.

JJ: "Where were you living in June?"
"With my mom."
"If I call you mom, will she say that you were living with her?"
"No."
"Because you know that I can do that, and you don't want to be embarrassed, right?"
"Right."
"Now, where were you living in June?"
"At my mom's."

ARGH.

Also, there's a black woman sitting in the second row of the gallery, and she keeps leaning around the woman in front of her to smile into the camera., I first saw her last night during the ridiculous kayak case, and she's here again tonight. She must think this is her audition.

• Love 5

Rerun also had an "If I make this call, will you be embarrassed?" from JJ: for car insurance that was on def's car, but in her husband's name, and they have a no-contact order. So... why do you have to talk to the ex? When you have to make an insurance claim, you call the insurance company. JJ is having none of it (other than a side-eye at def's being all dismissive about not being insured) and judges for the plaintiff.

In the halterview she's all "I was hoping we could just put this behind us" - sweetie, you made a $2000 dent in their new truck. Plantiff's response: though they've been neighbors for years, she never talks to def, and she's going to keep it that way. Just like def's ex :)

• Love 3
40 minutes ago, Jamoche said:

for car insurance that was on def's car, but in her husband's name, and they have a no-contact order.

It was her ex-fiance, as IF. God, that woman was annoying. She's being shown up as a complete liar and fool and she stands there braying like a jackass. Ugh.  The testimony from Carissa's betrothed, Grandpa, sealed Ms.Argo's fate.

On ‎10‎/‎30‎/‎2017 at 8:06 PM, Spunkygal said:

Today's case was Much Ado About Kayak. Those two loons deserve each other. Did defendant get hit in the mouth with a paddle? 

I finally saw Carl, the Kayak Kasanova and he did not disappoint.  He needs to keep his options open so backs of his upcoming nuptials with the LooneyTunes Jennifer, who must at one time have studied to be a mime, considering her wild expressions. JJ had to correct her horrible grammar more than once: "You came, or you had come." I guess she can't take the "had came" anymore either.  Her daughter huddled there with what I hope was mortification at Mom's behavior, deviousness and lying. Oh, Carl - I get it. Don't tie yourself down. I'm sure there are lots of women clamouring for the favours of an Uncle Festerish, snaggletoothed trailer dweller, who tries to speak without opening his mouth. Understandable when you see the yucky trainwreck inside it.

• Love 4
17 minutes ago, snarts said:

So what happened with the To Be Continued bicyclist vs. driver?  JJ was pre-empted here (Detroit) for coverage of the situation in NYC.  Thx.

The bicyclist got 5K, as he was thrown into traffic by the defendant and had to have surgery on his elbow tendons.

• Love 6
11 minutes ago, Brattinella said:

The bicyclist got 5K, as he was thrown into traffic by the defendant and had to have surgery on his elbow tendons.

Thanks for the update.  We haven't had JJ on any day with a World Series game this season, due to time conflicts.

• Love 2
4 minutes ago, Brattinella said:

Yes, that's true, but when JJ read the police report before the ruling, she noted that an off duty officer was at Starbucks and he was interviewed by police as a witness at the time of the incident. His statement supported the crazy cyclist (who JJ once referred to as a "bike-list"). JJ asked plaintiff if he knew the off duty officer and plaintiff admitted he has known him for 30 years and that plaintiff was/had been in the gang division. So crazy cyclist is or was a cop. Defendant also brought a witness who was at Starbucks, who he had never met before the incident, but she elaborated too much and seemed to favor defendant so she was screamed at in a shrewlike manner and told to SIT DOWN!! In conclusion, both litigants were wackadoodle asses as noted yesterday and walking examples of why you should bite the crap out of your tongue and never engage assholes.

• Love 10
3 minutes ago, Spunkygal said:

Defendant also brought a witness who was at Starbucks, who he had never met before the incident, but she elaborated too much and seemed to favor defendant so she was screamed at in a shrewlike manner and told to SIT DOWN!! In conclusion, both litigants were wackadoodle asses as noted yesterday and walking examples of why you should bite the crap out of your tongue and never engage assholes.

In Her Honor's defense, I did wonder why the defendant's witness was behaving as if she was on a telenovela, what with all the elaborating she was doing. Not saying both litigants weren't way too aggro to even be on the road among other people, but JJ does prefer it when people get to the point quickly. That's why she's always shushing people and saying 'Just a second' five thousand times in a half hour program.

• Love 5

"He was close to proximity".

What is it about court that causes people to try to use words just outside their vocabulary comfort zone?

The thing about the side mirrors that fold in when they're hit is that the whole point of the folding-in is to keep them from being damaged by minor collisions. 

2 hours ago, AngelaHunter said:

It was her ex-fiance, as IF.

*eyeroll* Oh, of course it was. Bullet dodged, ex-fiance.

• Love 6

JJ was beyond fired up for the cyclists. She was seriously hilarious. I wish we got more wacky cases like this.

And I'd love to know how the defendant and his witness were really related. She was far too invested to be a stranger like they said.

Edited by WhoaWhoKnew
  • Love 7
3 hours ago, Jamoche said:

Rerun also had an "If I make this call, will you be embarrassed?" from JJ: for car insurance that was on def's car, but in her husband's name, and they have a no-contact order. So... why do you have to talk to the ex? When you have to make an insurance claim, you call the insurance company. JJ is having none of it (other than a side-eye at def's being all dismissive about not being insured) and judges for the plaintiff.

In the halterview she's all "I was hoping we could just put this behind us" - sweetie, you made a $2000 dent in their new truck. Plantiff's response: though they've been neighbors for years, she never talks to def, and she's going to keep it that way. Just like def's ex :)

But the plaintiffs said they were still moving in when it happened, so I got very confused as to whether they were previously known or not.

In a rerun this morning, JJ said that a 19-year-old should be working 80 hours a week.

• Love 5
1 hour ago, Silver Raven said:

In a rerun this morning, JJ said that a 19-year-old should be working 80 hours a week.

Haha! Well, the 19-year olds we see on this show should be working 100 hrs a week. Maybe then they wouldn't have time or energy to go joy riding all night and smash up cars, get drunk and/or stoned and get into fights at bars, spend their time getting knocked up and spitting out babies like gumball machines, taking dirty pics on their phones then crying and suing about it, etc etc. But come to think of it, most of the middle-aged and older people we see here act the same way, or worse. Send them all out with teaspoons to dig graves for elephants.

• Love 12
On 10/30/2017 at 8:06 PM, Spunkygal said:

but the cyclists in my neighborhood think they own the road and the walking trail.

Co-sign here. Here, on the weekends, they travel in packs of 10-20 tying up traffic for miles. And this is after the township built them a special bike path on the major route. They don't care -- they prefer biking on the two-lane highway instead. Every one I've ever met has been insufferable. 

My neighborhood has bike lanes on the streets throughout and we also have an extensive walking trail. The signs on the trails clearly state that pedestrians have ROW but do cyclists care? Hell no. There are people walking and running for fitness, people accompanying kids on trikes and little bikes, dog walkers and the cyclists just blow past everyone like they're trying to catch up with Lance Armstrong. Once in a while a cyclist will ring a bell or announce they are passing and when they do, I always say thank you! But usually, they don't give a flip. I usually walk my dog during a less busy time on the trail just so I can avoid them and enjoy the walk. On the streets, they are supposed to travel in the same direction as traffic and observe the same traffic laws, but they are above that. As @Giant Misfitsays, they are insufferable.

• Love 7

We have a road here called Gates Pass. It is a VERY small two lane road on a mountain. Bike riders ride in huge packs and there is no way to get around them most of the time as the road is so narrow and curvy. Then when you do get a chance to pass some of them intentionally move over so you have to be completely on the other side of the road to get around them. Then they yell at you for not giving them 5 feet. Fun times! I agree completely insufferable.

• Love 10
15 hours ago, AngelaHunter said:

Oh, Carl - I get it. Don't tie yourself down. I'm sure there are lots of women clamouring for the favours of an Uncle Festerish, snaggletoothed trailer dweller, who tries to speak without opening his mouth. Understandable when you see the yucky trainwreck inside it.

The tooth that was missing appeared to be an important one.

21 hours ago, Cobalt Stargazer said:

Apparently it's Comedy Night tonight.

A young woman is suing her ex-boyfriend for money she loaned him after he came back from California to Nebraska, and he says he sent her six hundred dollars a month as child support since he's the father of her kid. JJ asked her how much he'd been sending, and she says it was more like three hundred a month. She's trying to get the guy to tell her where he was living in June, and he said he was living with his mom, but it turns out they were pretty much still sleeping together.

JJ: "Where were you living in June?"
"With my mom."
"If I call you mom, will she say that you were living with her?"
"No."
"Because you know that I can do that, and you don't want to be embarrassed, right?"
"Right."
"Now, where were you living in June?"
"At my mom's."

That's his story, and he's sticking to it! I guess he knows JJ will toss them if he admits they shared a bed after the loan. And what's with that, anyway? Doesn't JJ realize that you don't have to be a couple to have sex and/or conversate? Just cuz yayhoo admits he sleeps over at her house doesn't mean he lives there... he lives with Mom! Besides, gf isn't being exclusion, she's "talkin'" to other guys! (Actually, I'd rather claim I live with gf/mother of my child than that I'm unemployed, broke, live with unemployed momma, and instead of helping support my gf and son I borrow from her to help support momma.

Edited by SRTouch
  • Love 7
17 hours ago, Cobalt Stargazer said:

Also, there's a black woman sitting in the second row of the gallery, and she keeps leaning around the woman in front of her to smile into the camera., I first saw her last night during the ridiculous kayak case, and she's here again tonight. She must think this is her audition.

I always get nervous seeing the same faces in the gallery. Not sure if any of you recall the rat faced lady who sat center every show for what seemed like a decade. She was so distracting! I can't handle another.

• Love 4
On 31/10/2017 at 5:34 AM, arejay said:

The way biker guy sneered "drivers" told me all I needed to know about him.

His attitude is probably informed by a history of having to deal with car drivers, who generally think they don't have to share the road, either with cyclists or pedestrians. The defendant was a perfect specimen of that behaviour and his attitude in court said it all.

Just as pedestrians cross the street without looking first or some cyclists can hog the road.

The real lesson here being that anyone who takes to public roadways, whether on foot, on two wheels or on four of them, can easily turn into a public nuisance.

I wonder who in the production company felt that this case warranted taking up two episodes, especially with the red herrings that led nowhere like that witness who was practically foaming at the mouth so eager was she to come to the microphone, or the fact that the other absent witness and the plaintiff knew each other from their professional lives; probably not very closely, but for a second or two it was implied that this was significant and could impugne his credibility. The basic facts were simple, and JJ even summarised them a few times over: they exchanged words, the driver turned back his car and he pushed the cylcist into oncoming traffic, apparently convinced he was justified to do so. It should not have taken so long to wade through that in the final edit, after cutting out much of the bluster and winding testimony from each litigant.

1 hour ago, SRTouch said:

I guess he knows JJ will toss them if he admits they shared a bed after the loan. And what's with that, anyway? Doesn't JJ realize that you don't have to be a couple to have sex and/ conversate?

JJ often displays an almost Victorian outlook in such situations: if you slept together, then it nullifies any obligations under a loan or other claim. As if spouses or partners can't develop binding financial liabilities towards each other. Perhaps she believes that abstention if the only way to preserve the sanctity of a contract.

• Love 4
31 minutes ago, Florinaldo said:

JJ often displays an almost Victorian outlook in such situations: if you slept together, then it nullifies any obligations under a loan or other claim. As if spouses or partners can't develop binding financial liabilities towards each other. Perhaps she believes that abstention if the only way to preserve the sanctity of a contract.

May I suggest that after watching these jack-straw litigants for ten plus years - I'm not so sure she isn't exactly right.

4 hours ago, Spunkygal said:

My neighborhood has bike lanes on the streets throughout and we also have an extensive walking trail. The signs on the trails clearly state that pedestrians have ROW but do cyclists care? Hell no. There are people walking and running for fitness, people accompanying kids on trikes and little bikes, dog walkers and the cyclists just blow past everyone like they're trying to catch up with Lance Armstrong. Once in a while a cyclist will ring a bell or announce they are passing and when they do, I always say thank you! But usually, they don't give a flip. I usually walk my dog during a less busy time on the trail just so I can avoid them and enjoy the walk. On the streets, they are supposed to travel in the same direction as traffic and observe the same traffic laws, but they are above that. As @Giant Misfitsays, they are insufferable.

We have a nature trail several miles long for walkers, runners, people & pets and bicyclists. It is very wide in some spots (a car would easily fit) and others are single file through bushes/tall weeds.  When my daughter and I run or walk on it we make sure to stay to the right and we only run side-by-side for the very wide stretches. We don't wear headphones and we don't talk unless it's to comment on the flora & fauna we pass, so when a bicyclist comes ripping by with not a bit of warning it scares the daylights out of you. I've had to yell at people ahead of us, especially with those with leashed pets who may be easily startled to look out, not a peep from the bicyclists, as if others should not be there anyway. Unless your training to be an Olympic trail cyclist, why do you have to ride so fast??? It's a nature trail, not the tour de France!

• Love 5

In defense of cyclists, the bike trails here in NC often end up cluttered with various and sundry crap; bottles and cans, garbage bags that fall off the trucks, broken glass, you name it. I've had to replace more than one tire on my Honda scooter because of a puncture, and it usually ends up running me a couple of hundred dollars between the tire, cost of labor and the tow charge since twice its happened when I'm halfway across town and have to call someone to pick up the bike and take it in to be repaired. And while I can't speak for anyone other than myself, people behind the wheel of cars do not always respect the rules of the road. Some jackass pulled out in front of me from the Harris Teeter parking lot over the weekend, and I actually used my horn because I was so startled.

• Love 1
38 minutes ago, Cobalt Stargazer said:

In defense of cyclists, the bike trails here in NC often end up cluttered with various and sundry crap; bottles and cans, garbage bags that fall off the trucks, broken glass, you name it. I've had to replace more than one tire on my Honda scooter because of a puncture, and it usually ends up running me a couple of hundred dollars between the tire, cost of labor and the tow charge since twice its happened when I'm halfway across town and have to call someone to pick up the bike and take it in to be repaired. And while I can't speak for anyone other than myself, people behind the wheel of cars do not always respect the rules of the road. Some jackass pulled out in front of me from the Harris Teeter parking lot over the weekend, and I actually used my horn because I was so startled.

Tsk tsk ? so you're a horn blower, are you?  I grew up riding motorcycles, on and off road, and let me tell you, I swear 75% of car drivers just don't see bikers (motor or pedal). Not that they ignore you, or are aiming at the rider, they don't even realise a cyclist is on the road with them (even with today's motorcycles that have a headlight that comes on when you turn the key). Not saying it is all the 4 wheeled drivers fault, because a lot of riders (and walkers) act like they're above such mundane things as laws or even common courtesy. I mean, if I'm crossing the street in a crosswalk and I see a car approaching, it's just common courtesy for me to hurry up a little.... but, noooooo, how many countless idiots just mosey along... heck, how many don't even change direction so they head directly across. 

• Love 7

JJ really had it wrong on the "driver shot through the car window" case.  The accident was NOT his fault, he is not legally liable. There was nothing he could have done to prevent it.   Similarly with her heart attack analogy, unless you have been having symptoms that made you aware you shouldn't be driving, or a doctor told you not to drive, you are not legally liable if you have a heart attack and hit another vehicle. "Liability has to rest somewhere."  No, it doesn't.  It's called inevitable accident. 

• Love 7
1 minute ago, Quof said:

JJ really had it wrong on the "driver shot through the car window" case.  The accident was NOT his fault, he is not legally liable. There was nothing he could have done to prevent it.   Similarly with her heart attack analogy, unless you have been having symptoms that made you aware you shouldn't be driving, or a doctor told you not to drive, you are not legally liable if you have a heart attack and hit another vehicle. "Liability has to rest somewhere."  No, it doesn't.  It's called inevitable accident. 

The most incredible part of that case to me is that a 1996 Nissan truck is valued at $7950! Wow!

In the neighbor dinging other neighbor's car door, given the anger and assholeness displayed by defendant and friends, the plaintiff should move when her lease is up. I wouldn't trust them to not retaliate.

• Love 7
31 minutes ago, Spunkygal said:

The most incredible part of that case to me is that a 1996 Nissan truck is valued at $7950! Wow!

I can believe a well-maintained 90s car could be worth that much - I've got a 95 Miata and yes, they go that high.

I just won't believe JJ accepted a value like that until I see it :)

• Love 2

Regarding the 2 part road rage case:  yes, the cyclist was probably mouthing off most foully, however, when you are in a car and using it as a weapon, you are most likely in the wrong.  That driver did not learn a thing, and I doubt the cyclist did either.  They irritated the crap out of me. 

• Love 10
6 hours ago, PsychoKlown said:

May I suggest that after watching these jack-straw litigants for ten plus years - I'm not so sure she isn't exactly right.

I am not sure that the poor quality of litigants on a personal level is a sufficient basis to buttress a judicial decision or to apply case law (unless one makes it up as you go along, as JJ often does) by equating having sexual congress to forgiving debts or any other obligation.

3 hours ago, Spunkygal said:

In the neighbor dinging other neighbor's car door, given the anger and assholeness displayed by defendant and friends, the plaintiff should move when her lease is up. I wouldn't trust them to not retaliate.

He did look like he is capable of holding a very hard grudge, while in their demeanor his witnesses came across as compliant followers who could easily help him carry it out.

5 hours ago, GoodieGirl said:

We have a nature trail several miles long for walkers, runners, people & pets and bicyclists.

Shared paths are perhaps even worse than streets, especially for the number of pedestrians who insist on walking 4 or 5 abreast because the universe would certainly cease to function if their scintillating conversation were deferred for even a second. They even block other walkers.

I would say however that overall car drivers are usually the wackadoodliest on any kind of road, driveway or parking lot. They also are the ones who can cause the most damage with much less danger for themselves, as many pedestrians, motorcyclists and bikers have found out. So the duty of restraint is even heavier on motorists; defendant in the 2-part case certainly did not live up to that standard. 

• Love 2

Liberty Mutual Insurance? Well, it's most or ALL insurance companies actually. We hate them but must deal with them. Pay them for 25 years, sure, they'll take the money. Make a claim? They will jump through any hoops, use magnifying glasses to find loopholes and to avoid paying a dime. I just have to say that Mr. Travis Boone was one well-dressed, well-behaved and very fine looking gentleman. Very fine indeed.

So, my 18-year old shit-head kid is flunking out of school and stays out all night doing who knows what. I wonder what I should do? Oh, I know - I'll buy him a car! That'll teach him a lesson. Then he can hang out in the park in January, smoke weed and let his little rosy-cheeked sociopath farm hand friend drive it and wreck it.

Mr. Rivera - holy shit. I thought he was a freak, but then we got a look at his friends. The three mutant misfits had me in hysterics. Pitiful they were, but I agree that if I were the plaintiff, I'd move before those ridiculous little shits do something else worse to her or her property.

• Love 11
46 minutes ago, Quof said:

The legal principle is condonation.  Yes, it's a thing.

I see it's a principle that exists in the common law tradition, whereas I am more familiar with a civil law judicial system where it does not exist. It also appears that this principle has been the object of much criticism and is now applied narrowly, except where it has been repealed of course, not necessarily as broadly as JJ does.

The law certainly can exhibit curious and arcane variations. Thanks for that info.

Edited by Florinaldo
6 hours ago, Quof said:

You might be right, but I don't like the concept.  There are too many no-fault accidents.  When a deer ran in front of my truck, the insurance company paid even though the damage was nobody's fault.  If lightning hits a tree and the tree falls on my car, the insurance company will pay.  

• Love 2

Ah, talk about entitled a$$holes! Talking about the idiot who bangs anybody foolish enough to park next to him, and his equally entitled friend who drives around drunk in his BMW, then gets into a shouting match with friend's neighbor because she has the audacity to ask him to park between the lines so she can get into her assigned spot.  Loved it when JJ heard he wouldn't give her his name so she could sue him, and JJ HAS Byrd loan her his pen so she can write his name, employer, and SSN. Swear all three of those idiots look like they're either still drunk or hung over.

• Love 9

There are too many no-fault accidents.  When a deer ran in front of my truck, the insurance company paid even though the damage was nobody's fault.  If lightning hits a tree and the tree falls on my car, the insurance company will p

That's collision, not liability.  If plaintiff had collision coverage, his own insurance would have paid.   In order for the other driver's liability insurer to pay, it had to have been his fault. 

• Love 2
11 hours ago, Florinaldo said:

Shared paths are perhaps even worse than streets, especially for the number of pedestrians who insist on walking 4 or 5 abreast because the universe would certainly cease to function if their scintillating conversation were deferred for even a second. They even block other walkers.

If I'm at the mall or out walking and a group of people are walking abreast towards me (taking up the whole sidewalk), I absolutely refuse to step off the sidewalk or out of my line of travel for them.  I just stop.  And stand there.  On MY spot.  If they want to keep going, they have to walk around me.  I refuse to get out of their way.

I do, however, refrain from yelling "Get off my lawn" as they are going past.

• Love 10

I just stop.  And stand there.  On MY spot.  

In basketball, that is known as "drawing the charge".  Offensive foul for hitting a stationary player. My coach used to buy lunch for anyone who drew a charge.

• Love 4

I would not give my SSN in front of a group of strangers (matter how loud JJ yelled).  She's demanded this of litigants before and they all complied.  I don't give out personal info to random people and certainly not in front of an audience.  Is it even legal for her to do this?  It's probably for show, but still.

• Love 6
4 minutes ago, momtoall said:

I would not give my SSN in front of a group of strangers (matter how loud JJ yelled).  She's demanded this of litigants before and they all complied.  I don't give out personal info to random people and certainly not in front of an audience.  

I agree!  Even though they mute it out for the 10,000,000 viewers, there are about 70 people sitting in that room.  And we here often talk about how weird some of the audience regulars look, so I'm not about to give any of them my SSN.

We recently moved into a senior adult community and were asked to fill out a form for the HOA.  I can understand their wanting to know what our hobbies are, so they could inform us of appropriate activities we might like to join.  But there was a space for our drivers license numbers.  Hey, I'm NOT driving one of their vehicles, so THAT is none of their business.  "Decline to provide" is what we put in that space.

• Love 7