Type keyword(s) to search

All Episodes Talk: All Rise

Message added by Meredith Quill

Community Manager Note

Official notice that the topic of Sean DeMarco is off limits. If you have 1-on-1 thoughts to complete please take it to PM with each other.

If you have questions, contact the forum moderator @PrincessPurrsALot.  Do not discuss this limit to this discussion in here. Doing so will result in a warning. 

• Start Topic

Oh, man! I am catching up on my DVR JJ reruns and there's a Plaintiff on there named "Kokka Coleman."

What a refreshingly awful name.

Did anyone see the repeat with the father who had given his 8-year-old son a pellet gun?  JJ was livid and I had to agree.  Who does that?  I am rabidly anti-gun and the very thought of a child getting one to PLAY with just "creams my corn". (Penney on Big Bang Theory)

• Love 1
(edited)

I am pro-gun, but the guy was an embarrassing loser. In the hallterview he says " It was an accident, and you can't be held responsible for an accident". Whaaatt......?

Edited by zillabreeze

I am a gun owner, and I 100% agree that the father was an idiot.

But..........................................

For Judge Judy to go off on him and continue to scream "YOU'RE A MORON" until the 8-year-old son was sobbing just didn't sit well with me.  She usually has children leave the room if she's going to tear into their parents, and I wish she had done so with this case.  The father definitely needed to be dressed down, but the child didn't have to be there to see it.

• Love 2

I am a gun owner, and I 100% agree that the father was an idiot.

But..........................................

For Judge Judy to go off on him and continue to scream "YOU'RE A MORON" until the 8-year-old son was sobbing just didn't sit well with me.  She usually has children leave the room if she's going to tear into their parents, and I wish she had done so with this case.  The father definitely needed to be dressed down, but the child didn't have to be there to see it.

I think she was so blinded by rage she totally forgot the kid, or felt the father was such a moron the son needed to hear it. Especially because of the dangers involved with a gun.

• Love 3

Today's was a rerun here, with plaintiff Chiranan Pounds suing Bobby Sensitive from Arkansas who actually stretched his eyes mockingly when JJ asked if he was Thai. She met him via Bangkok Craigslist, spoke to him on the telephone twice, and then moved from Milwaukee to Arkansas to get an apartment with him. And she was shocked when he took money from  her and dumped. her. What I don't understand is what the heck was she thinking?! She didn't seem that naive, and she's intelligent enough to have co-authored a paper on remaining pinch grip sensation in stroke survivors. Was she looking for money or a green card or what?

• Love 1

Today's was a rerun here, with plaintiff Chiranan Pounds suing Bobby Sensitive from Arkansas who actually stretched his eyes mockingly when JJ asked if he was Thai. She met him via Bangkok Craigslist, spoke to him on the telephone twice, and then moved from Milwaukee to Arkansas to get an apartment with him. And she was shocked when he took money from  her and dumped. her. What I don't understand is what the heck was she thinking?! She didn't seem that naive, and she's intelligent enough to have co-authored a paper on remaining pinch grip sensation in stroke survivors. Was she looking for money or a green card or what?

Trying to understand the thinking of someone who is crazy in love is a useless endeavor.

Some people are so desperate to have love they often act irrationally to get or keep it. We often see people who seem otherwise perfectly rational and intelligent do ridiculously stupid things under the guise of love. Remember the NASA astronaut who drove from Houston to Orlando to try and kidnap a woman who was involved with her ex-boyfriend? If you looked at her credentials and her position you'd never think her capable of doing something totally insane which, in turn, ended the career she'd worked so hard to have. It's wicked hard to become an astronaut, and she was so crazy in love she threw it all away.

• Love 1

I was surprised that JJ didn't make the grifter loser pay for half of the lease that he signed.  Judge Judy was so upset with Chiranan that she didn't consider the entire case.  She granted the money for tickets but nothing for the apartment, and she even asked him why he signed the lease if he didn't have any money.  I think there may have been some cultural pressures that Chiranan was feeling about her age and marriage.  However, I also think that while she may be very intelligent, she really doesn't have common sense.  This case bothered me on so many levels.

• Love 2

Maybe JJ was following her theory that you shouldn't enter into a contract with someone who you know can't perform their side of it. We've seen her rule that way multiple times, and then sometimes she doesn't. That's what's so maddening for me about JJ. 

• Love 2

Bitchy dog owner who lost her dog out of state and is pissed that the guy who adopted it, had it "spayed" right away. First it was a male dog, they get neutered not spayed, and it's usually a requirement of the shelter. Yeah the guy acted quickly, but that was a nice Australian Shepard pup, I'd have grabbed it from the shelter fast myself. Original owner said she paid 250 for it(a bargain!). The new owner asked for 500 to return it to her. She paid it by check and then stopped payment. He sues. Bitchy owner is pissed now cause the dog won't work cattle, it just lays around with her daughter. I doubt the neutering caused the dog to forget its herding instinct. If she doesn't want the dog, give it to the guy who adopted it. He shelled out 250 bucks for shots and fees and neutering. JJ wouldn't give him the 5oo, saying he couldn't make a profit. But now he has no dog and she has one that she says is "worthless" I feel for the dog.

• Love 3

Any one see the episode today of the pos mother who sued her daughter for money for babysitting the grandchild?  Seems daughter did not feel out voucher paper work correctly so grandma didn't get paid.  In hallterview, mother said daughter was fake crying even though there were huge tears rolling down the daughter's cheeks.  I wouldn't let that woman near my child ever again!

• Love 3

Any one see the episode today of the pos mother who sued her daughter for money for babysitting the grandchild?  Seems daughter did not feel out voucher paper work correctly so grandma didn't get paid.  In hallterview, mother said daughter was fake crying even though there were huge tears rolling down the daughter's cheeks.  I wouldn't let that woman near my child ever again!

I didn't see it. My DVR decided I only needed two of the four JJ episodes yesterday. But she sounds horrible. When did the government start doing this? We've seen cases in which relatives are paid to take care of sick or young members of their family. When I was growing up, you did this out of a sense of family, not in order to get paid by the government. Maybe it's always been around and I just didn't know.

I didn't know this, either.  Maybe it's when someone is actually disabled and gets gov't aid, they will get paid for assisting.  Ah, NOW I understand why my cousin was so concerned about taking care of a relative (that she didn't previously give a shit for). :(

(edited)

As someone who recently had to quit a good paying job to be caregiver for my 89 year old father, I can relate to the grandmother and her frustration. She was a nurse who'd never collected any sort of assistance and she'd passed on accepting a good position in order to care for her grandchild, thinking she'd get some degree of compensation via whatever benefits her daughter was eligible for. The benefits never came to pass, and Grandma was now feeling the financial pinch. Yes, it was her choice (as it was mine), and no, it may not be actionable. However, it's good that benefits like this exist (though I'm currently getting nothing) because there are people who are willing to sacrifice and could use a bit of help (compensation is minimal) in return. Not everyone is "horrible", or a scammer.

Edited by designing1
  • Love 1

Yeah, these particular programs aren't really scams.  The theory is that the participant is eligible for assistance with child care and the money has to go to someone.  As long as the person is approved to being a child care provider it is all legal. Family members aren't excluded.  My mom ended up doing this for some family friends back in the day.  She found herself working mostly nights and weekends and had her days free so she applied to be a daycare provider and was paid by the state for some family friends who qualified for assistance.  It certainly wasn't a lucrative endeavor but it allowed my mom to make some extra money and help out some friends who were more than happy that she was watching their children why they worked as opposed to someone they didn't know. 

Yeah, these particular programs aren't really scams.  The theory is that the participant is eligible for assistance with child care and the money has to go to someone.  As long as the person is approved to being a child care provider it is all legal. Family members aren't excluded.  My mom ended up doing this for some family friends back in the day.  She found herself working mostly nights and weekends and had her days free so she applied to be a daycare provider and was paid by the state for some family friends who qualified for assistance.  It certainly wasn't a lucrative endeavor but it allowed my mom to make some extra money and help out some friends who were more than happy that she was watching their children why they worked as opposed to someone they didn't know.

Like so many government programs that have good intentions, many of JJ's litigants have found a way to work the system in such a way that they have multiple government checks coming in. No one check is enough to support them but cobbled together along with welfare, food stamps, aid to disabled kids ( my kid is autistic!!! Cha Ching!! And the second and third one too!!!! $$$$$) they eke out a living without ever having a real job.

• Love 2
(edited)

I'm going to re-visit the episode repeated a few days ago...the one with the eight-year-old boy whose father allowed him to have a pellet gun because the child was "properly trained".  I'm probably going to get a lot of crap from gun advocates but there is no way to "properly train" an eight-year-old in the use of a gun.  I have personal experience with dealing with relatives who thought they could "train" their young boys...and they did train them.  They trained them so well, the boys (in two separate incidents) found the guns, loaded the guns and shot themselves intentionally.  One boy was eight, the other was nine.  Properly trained, my ass. Two funerals in less than four months.  Our family has never recovered.

Edited by ub40fan
  • Love 2

ub40fan, what a tragic story.  I'm personally not anti-gun but the idea of an underage child having a gun and being "properly trained" just seems like an oxymoron.  How can you properly train someone who is still developing cognitively? 

• Love 1

How can you properly train someone who is still developing cognitively?

A lot of it is expectations. I was raised with guns. I had a pellet gun at age eight. When I was given the gun, I was told it was not a toy, it was not to be touched if Mom or Dad weren't home, and it didn't leave it's storage spot unless I expressly asked to use it and someone was willing to watch me. It was never to be pointed at a person. And if I broke those rules, I would get my butt paddled, the pellet gun would get hammered to bits in front of me and I sure as hell would not be allowed on any hunting trips with the family.

The end result? Because it had to supervised, it wasn't fun or convenient to "play" with the gun. I was always reminded when I target shot that the holes in the cans could and WOULD put someone's eye out and real guns killed and killing wasn't a game, and hunting wasn't a game, it was putting food on the dinner table.

The dumbass on JJ with the eight year old "properly trained" was just wanting to feel like his dick was big. He's lucky it wasn't more tragic.

• Love 1

A lot of it is expectations. I was raised with guns. I had a pellet gun at age eight. When I was given the gun, I was told it was not a toy, it was not to be touched if Mom or Dad weren't home, and it didn't leave it's storage spot unless I expressly asked to use it and someone was willing to watch me. It was never to be pointed at a person. And if I broke those rules, I would get my butt paddled, the pellet gun would get hammered to bits in front of me and I sure as hell would not be allowed on any hunting trips with the family.

The end result? Because it had to supervised, it wasn't fun or convenient to "play" with the gun. I was always reminded when I target shot that the holes in the cans could and WOULD put someone's eye out and real guns killed and killing wasn't a game, and hunting wasn't a game, it was putting food on the dinner table.

The dumbass on JJ with the eight year old "properly trained" was just wanting to feel like his dick was big. He's lucky it wasn't more tragic.

It's quite possible the 8 yr old was trained similarly to the way you were, but because he's only 8 and some 8 yr olds take what they are told and abide by it ( like you ) and others ( like him ) can't resist the temptation. Sadly by the time any of the punishments for disregarding the rules can be put in practice, there has to be some kind of accident or tragedy. And it's too late then. That father was just an idiot, a moron and his son needs to know it.

• Love 1

As someone who recently had to quit a good paying job to be caregiver for my 89 year old father, I can relate to the grandmother and her frustration. She was a nurse who'd never collected any sort of assistance and she'd passed on accepting a good position in order to care for her grandchild, thinking she'd get some degree of compensation via whatever benefits her daughter was eligible for. The benefits never came to pass, and Grandma was now feeling the financial pinch. Yes, it was her choice (as it was mine), and no, it may not be actionable. However, it's good that benefits like this exist (though I'm currently getting nothing) because there are people who are willing to sacrifice and could use a bit of help (compensation is minimal) in return. Not everyone is "horrible", or a scammer.

I don't think anyone called you horrible or a scammer. As always with JJ discussions, we are talking about a certain type of litigant, not everyone who benefits from a government program. I collected unemployment for two months five years ago. Does that make me the same as people who work just long enough to qualify for more unemployment and then find a way to collect it again? Of course not.

My post was asking a question about something I didn't know existed. When JJ probes further and finds out that these caregivers weren't doing anything productive before they became a caregiver, we are clearly not dealing with someone who left a job to take care of a sick relative. As was posted above, most government programs have great intentions. And most of JJ's litigants have found a way to abuse the hell out of those programs.

• Love 3
(edited)

teebax, I didn't take the use of the word "horrible" personally. It did, however, seem directed at the grandmother in this particular case -- and she didn't seem (to me, anyway) to fit in at all with JJ's usual crop of good-for-nothings -- hence my post regarding the existence, and necessity of, such programs.

Edited by designing1

teebax, I didn't take the use of the word "horrible" personally. It did, however, seem directed at the grandmother in this particular case -- and she didn't seem (to me, anyway) to fit in at all with JJ's usual crop of good-for-nothings -- hence my post regarding the existence, and necessity of, such programs.

Oh, it was directed at the grandmother. But I also said I did not get to see the episode, so I was going by another's description of her. That's why I said, "She sounds horrible."

But I'm glad you didn't take it personally. I don't come on forums to insult other posters. I think JJ's litigants are fair game, and they often do fall into the horrible scammer category. I mean, she had a litigant who sold a cell phone on Ebay and sent the winner of the auction a picture of the cell phone! Anyone else remember that case? And the litigant didn't even seem embarrassed by it. That's the type of litigant we're used to getting on JJ.

sold a cell phone on Ebay and sent the winner of the auction a picture of the cell phone

Back in TWOP days, this scammer was referred to as EBay of Pigs, Kelly something or the other as I recall. Not only not embarrassed, but in the halterview, she manitained that she had done nothing wrong because the ebay listing was a picture of a phone so sending a picture of the phone was completely legitimate.

• Love 1

Just saw the rerun of the mother who was suing her son (who had had a kidney transplant) for rent and a portion of his living expenses.  JJ grilled the mother on her sources of income, and automatically got her back up when she found out that her husband was collecting disability and a pension at 52.  He had had 3 back surgeries, so probably wasn't a scammer, but as soon as JJ heard that she clearly became hostile toward the mother.  I agreed with her that there wasn't a contract, just a loose agreement that he would start helping out with some money, but that woman had a target on her from the get go.

As someone what cannot make up their mind about guns once and for all, UB40Fan, please accept my sincere sympathies.

On a good day, I don't think guns are so bad.  Then I read the paper, watch the news, and I think every gun in existence should be destroyed.  I like to think people will be smart with them, then,,, Sandy Hook, Columbine, Ny City streets...

But the father in question was a raging asshole.

• Love 1

Thank you, One more Time.  You know, when I think of those babies at Sandy Hook, I am filled with such pain and sadness.  And weren't those guns legal?               Those two young boys I spoke of earlier were cousins of mine...their fathers were married to my aunts and two more stupid and careless men I have never seen before or since.  Obviously, they are no longer in our family but we will be forever dealing with the damage their ignorance fomented.

Kelli Filkins! And it seems her life turned out just as we all had expected.

Thanks for sharing the link. My only complaint is that they feel a need to call her fat. Yes, she is fat. But her issues are because she's a lying scam artist, which has nothing to do with her weight. Heavy people seem to be the last group it's socially acceptable to discriminate against. I wish that would stop, and I say that as an athletic woman who's never had issues with weight. I have female friends who are fat, and they're treated like shit. They're either picked on or ignored completely. It sucks. Okay, I'm getting off my soapbox.

There was a case I saw last night in which a woman was suing to get a PT Cruiser back from her former step-mother. There was something about a fraudulent lien on the car. First JJ said the plaintiff gets the car, then she said the plaintiff doesn't get the car. The plaintiff had run up a credit card and filed bankruptcy. But the credit card was in the step-mother's name. I don't disagree with JJ's ruling, but I was confused in the end. The plaintiff said she paid off the card, then she said she filed bankruptcy. Were any of you able to decipher what was going on? It seemed like JJ dismissed the claim without hearing all of the evidence, but I could be wrong.

• Love 1

A divorce agreement is binding only on the parties to the agreement, it has no effect on creditors.  The credit card company can continue to pursue the person whose name is on the card, and then that person has to go after the one who was supposed to pay it under the divorce agreement.

• Love 1

It doesn't matter how many times I see it, I will never stop being astounded at pathetic women like "Anette" who took out a personal loan for 5,000$ to buy the pin-headed "Dustin" a motorcyle. I guess he really, really needed it and I'm sure she has a really good heart.

That wasn't ridiculous enough so then we had the wailing, idiotic "I'm a single mom!" who thought a good way to get rid of money ( I guess her unfortunate child doesn't need anything) was to order a bunch of electronics and cell phones for some loser she "hooked up" with on Facebook.

But, hey - who hasn't done just that?

It was somewhat satisfying that both fools got the boot without a nickel.

• Love 3

Really, but I can't stand it when JJ whispers at the end, and  the case is a few  minutes long. Just mean of her. And a waste of time. Guess I prefer Peoples Court more since those hopeless cases are not prominent, as they seem to be on JJ.

• Love 1

That wasn't ridiculous enough so then we had the wailing, idiotic "I'm a single mom!" who thought a good way to get rid of money ( I guess her unfortunate child doesn't need anything) was to order a bunch of electronics and cell phones for some loser she "hooked up" with on Facebook.

The best part was her hallterview: "I had to get a JOB to pay for this!" Imagine that!

• Love 4

The best part was her hallterview: "I had to get a JOB to pay for this!" Imagine that!The best part was her hallterview: "I had to get a JOB to pay for this!" Imagine that!

How did I forget that? How dastardly, this poor sainted single mother being forced to get a J-O-B. Brought a crocodile tear to my eye.

• Love 2

I think the ~20-year-old female plaintiff on the episode I saw today has to be one of the most inarticulate JJ litigants ever, and that's really saying something.  I couldn't even understand what she was trying to say because her sentences were just so oddly constructed.  She was suing her former roommate, who left the apartment several months before the co-signed lease was up.

She gave me a new word to put on my list of Judge Judy litigant-isms:  "Beginningly."  Speaking out of how her brother had at one point lived in the apartment with her but left, she said, "My brother left with me," instead of just, "My brother left me."  After the defendant complained that the plaintiff had a strange man sleeping on the floor in the living room, the plaintiff insisted that the defendant "was joined in it," by which I think she meant that the defendant was the one who brought in the strange man.  Every time she tried to tell JJ her side of the story, she launched into a rambling, nonsensical jumble of speech and then, when JJ appeared disinclined to rule in her favor and told her she was too young to be living on her own, the girl turned on the waterworks and said she had no one to help her.  If that is true that is too bad because she needs someone to live with so she can attend remedial education and maybe learn some life skills.

• Love 3

Today was a repeat in Judge Judy's America. I didn't understand it the first time and I didn't get it the second time. Guy on a bike is in a collision with a kid going the wrong way on his skateboard. Plaintiff wanted to be compensated for the bike that was damaged in the crash.

In a Judy's America the guy was at fault even though the kid was going the wrong way. It seems she felt it was the guy's fault because he was 33? And the kid was 11? So even though the guy had the right if way, it was his fault because he was 33 and he should have anticipated a kid coming at him against the flow of traffic?

Another one of those times when Judy has her feathers ruffled and the ruling makes no sense.

• Love 4

Eh, I thought the 33 year old was being kind of a dick to sue a kid over an accident. I mean, the kid was eleven. I thought, although she didn't explain it well because she went off on a rant, that sometimes you have to remember that not every event is a take em to court event. Suing an 11 year old over what was clearly a accident - it wasn't like the kid vandalized the bike, for several thousand dollars is the punishment being way overblown.

• Love 5

Anyone going to check out "Hot Bench" when it comes on?  The ads on my TV station make it sound like JJ is behind it.  Could it be that she's planning on retiring?  Anyway, from the previews the viewers will see a few minutes of the case, then a few more minutes of the three judges arguing with each other over the case, and finally a verdict.

Eh, I thought the 33 year old was being kind of a dick to sue a kid over an accident. I mean, the kid was eleven. I thought, although she didn't explain it well because she went off on a rant, that sometimes you have to remember that not every event is a take em to court event. Suing an 11 year old over what was clearly a accident - it wasn't like the kid vandalized the bike, for several thousand dollars is the punishment being way overblown.

His defense was that the kid willfully aimed his skateboard at him in order to intentionally harm him.............