Type keyword(s) to search

S01.E03: Thy Will Be Done

• Start Topic

I liked that they showed Violet thinking more about her own mortality in the wake of Ernest's death. She and Hollywood continue to be adorable.

Ralph Angel and Blue's teacher  (Reyna) sure didn't waste any time getting intimate. I'm guessing that will get thorny down the road.

I can't say enough about how much I adore the Bordelon siblings together. Whether they're squabbling about what to do with the farm or talking about working together, I love how the dynamic between those three crackles.

I kind of need Davis to get gone, but I did feel bad for Micah being caught in the middle of his parents.

Edited by Gillian Rosh
  • Love 5

Auntie Vi is a Shade Queen. I love it.

After all the discussion of Charley and Nova's relationship last week, it was really refreshing to see them so unequivocally supportive of each other.

Nova is all heart. The scene with her visiting kid in prison was awesome. Fortify yourself, indeed.

I get that Micah loves his Dad but his 360 from last week was still a total drag. Seeing how reticent his mom was, to have anything to do with Davis, should've been enough for Micah to get that she wasn't making arbitrary decisions about taking her time to return to their life in LA.

Vi & Hollywood remain great. However, Vi's insistent misgivings about their age difference and Roberta's incessant flirting, portends future drama for them.

Charley smoothly shutting down Sam Landry was the best part of the episode. Girl didn't build a sports entertainment dynasty, by being nobody's fool.

• Love 14
1 hour ago, Gillian Rosh said:

Ralph Angel and Blue's teacher  (Reyna) sure didn't waste any time getting intimate. I'm guessing that will get thorny down the road.

That was Blue's mom, not his teacher, that Ralph Angel hooked up with.

• Love 11
23 hours ago, Dee said:

I get that Micah loves his Dad but his 360 from last week was still a total drag. Seeing how reticent his mom was, to have anything to do with Davis, should've been enough for Micah to get that she wasn't making arbitrary decisions about taking her time to return to their life in LA.

Same here. Micah's seen the video; he knows that even if his father didn't actually rape anyone, he certainly did engage in some really inappropriate behavior for a married man.  So all of a sudden, he's giving his mother a hard time about not rushing back to stand by his father's side? That does seem very different from the Micah we've been shown up to now.

• Love 9

The sibling relationship patterns are beginning to reveal themselves.  No wonder Ralph Angel and Nova went full speed ahead without Charley last week re: the arrangements.  Charley only lived with them in the summers and went to live somewhere else, presumably with her mother during the school year when they were growing up.  So the question still remains remains what is the mother dynamic?  Did Earnest cheat on True (Nova and Ralph Angel's mother) with Charley's mother and some arrangement was made when they were younger to keep her included in his/their life or did Earnest and True divorce and then remarry later?

Ralph Angel is the baby and the only boy.  So of course that also explains the bossiness and that sometimes dismissive/sometimes over protective way that Nova and Charley  treat him.  Also him being the only boy means that he probably got some special treatment.

Which brings me to Nova.  Given that Charley only came to live with them in the summer, she probably got some special attention from Earnest.  And given that RA is the baby and only boy he probably got spoiled.  So that leaves Nova. She fights for people outside her family almost relentlessy.  Is it because she needs to be needed?  As the oldest who lived through whatever went down with her father and his wives, did she feel pushed aside first by the new daughter and then the baby boy? 

I did like how in the end they came together and they all seemed happy about it.  I mean how could they not after witnessing RA's despair and then the insulting offer (850 an acre?  Fuck that noise! My family has 300 acres in upstate NY, and it isn't even a working farm and even we wouldn't sell for that-- waaay insulting) and finally the reality of the plight of black farmers.  I don't know if I could easily part with land ( even tho land taxes in NYS are a bitch) .  Real Estate & land possession is so rare for black folks that I cringed when Charley and Nova immediately talked about selling.

Absolutely loved how Not Having It Aunt Vi was with Davis.  He does not deserve basic Southern hospitality.  No sweet tea for you!   And I kinda get Micah's headspace.  He was in shock last week but now his basic 15 year old selfishness is re-asserting itself.  He wants to go home, ergo, Mom needs to support dad.  He's not thinking logically about what his mother is dealing with, he is thinking about himself and his stupid ass girlfriend.  I loved Charley's response to him where she basically said "ok you think you grown then?  Go be grown."  With a silent, "We'll just see how that works out for you."

And still the music is perfect. I do love Brittany Howard and Alabama Shakes!

• Love 13

It was telling how the Bordelon men, reacted to Davis vs. the Bordelon women.

Davis could've ran over a box of puppies and the men would be scrambling to fix him a glass of sweet tea.

• Love 10
12 hours ago, Dee said:

Auntie Vi is a Shade Queen. I love it.

After all the discussion of Charley and Nova's relationship last week, it was really refreshing to see them so unequivocally supportive of each other.

Nova is all heart. The scene with her visiting kid in prison was awesome. Fortify yourself, indeed.

Vi & Hollywood remain great. However, Vi's insistent misgivings about their age difference and Roberta's incessant flirting, portends future drama for them.

Charley smoothly shutting down Sam Landry was the best part of the episode. Girl didn't build a sports entertainment dynasty, by being nobody's fool.

I love Vi. "We out." No coffee or sweet tea for you! And that look she gave Davis when he showed up, like " ... Hmph" was gold.

Blue is SO CUTE. "What you and Kenya doing'?" "Playing!" "What y'all playing, can I play?" LORD, my ovaries.

Nova and Charley were indeed refreshingly supportive of each other. Nova's "if you say you got this, you got this" and her "He what?" look when Charley told her Davis slept with a prostitute were great. Nova strikes me as fiercely loyal. The scene at the table with all three siblings was so beautiful - Ralph Angel was beaming.

I like the pace of the show. We now have a plan for the land, we know more about the relationship between the siblings, more about Ralph Angel's background, and more about the Davis situation. Things are moving at a good clip.

Edited by Empress1
  • Love 10
11 hours ago, DearEvette said:

The sibling relationship patterns are beginning to reveal themselves.  No wonder Ralph Angel and Nova went full speed ahead without Charley last week re: the arrangements.  Charley only lived with them in the summers and went to live somewhere else, presumably with her mother during the school year when they were growing up.  So the question still remains remains what is the mother dynamic?  Did Earnest cheat on True (Nova and Ralph Angel's mother) with Charley's mother and some arrangement was made when they were younger to keep her included in his/their life or did Earnest and True divorce and then remarry later?

Are we sure Nova is the oldest? With the reveal about Charlie having a different mom and not living with them, I just assumed she was oldest and Nova and Ralph Angel were the result of a second marriage. Though there certainly is potential for a more complicated story.

The dynamic between the three siblings is so spot on, and reminds me exactly of me and my two closest siblings. Two sisters coddling their younger brother and leaving him out of major decisions. It's kind of a reflex.

• Love 1
12 minutes ago, stagmania said:

Are we sure Nova is the oldest? With the reveal about Charlie having a different mom and not living with them, I just assumed she was oldest and Nova and Ralph Angel were the result of a second marriage. Though there certainly is potential for a more complicated story.

Somehow Nova just feels older than Charley.  And I believe Rutina Wesley is older than Dawn Lyen-Gardner IRL. But you could be right, Nova could be the middle child. 

• Love 1
8 hours ago, Dee said:

Nova's definitely the oldest.

Ava says so in Nova's character profile.

Thanks, but I hope the show makes it more clear in future episodes. When the creator/director has to explain family dynamics, that means the script isn't do it well enough. 

21 hours ago, Empress1 said:

Nova and Charley were indeed refreshingly supportive of each other. Nova's "if you say you got this, you got this" and her "He what?" look when Charley told her Davis slept with a prostitute were great. Nova strikes me as fiercely loyal. The scene at the table with all three siblings was so beautiful - Ralph Angel was beaming.

I was pleasantly surprised to see Nova and Charley on the same page for once. But I'm glad they're not going to sell the farm after all. 

On 9/14/2016 at 11:33 PM, Gillian Rosh said:

I liked that they showed Violet thinking more about her own mortality in the wake of Ernest's death. She and Hollywood continue to be adorable.

I agree, but as they had this conversation, I kept thinking, "If you're so worried, what are you doing about it? Do you have an appointment to see your doctor? How's your blood pressure? Your cholesterol? Do you have diabetes?" There are practical things Vi needs to do help her chances of living a long, healthy life. 

Slightly off topic: A comedian (Neal Brennan) once said to David Alan Grier that he knows black don't crack, but if does crack, how does it crack? And DAG answered, "On the inside." I found that so profound. I work in healthcare, and I see far too many people of color walking around with undiagnosed and untreated medical conditions that shorten their lives and make them sick and disabled even when they are alive. 

• Love 3

I literally yelled "WHAT?!?!" when Ralph Angel pulled a gun on those transport guys. I mean, damn, that escalated quickly. And then the other guy pulls a shotgun! Seriously, everyone take a breath and put away the firearms. 

I still really liked the episode, but I found it to be a bit of a step down. Mainly because I was disappointed in Micah and how he has completely changed into the typical TV Teen for no reason. I mean, I get that he is going through a lot, and I am sure he loves his dead, but last week, he couldn't be in the same room as the guy, and now its all "Why wont you support dad? We need to stay with dad! Dad is totally in the right, why do you suck Mom"? Micah, sure your dad might not have raped someone, but he did DEFINITELY sleep with at least one hooker, and lied to your mom about it, to her face, several times. Give her a few days to process at least. Why change his characterization like this? Poor Charley hardly needs more drama in her life. And Micah better get used to two Christmases, because Charlie is already shooting heart eyes at Remy, who is hotter, probably does NOT sleep with hookers, and looks great in a cowboy hat. The music even ships them!

I cheered when Aunt Vi was giving Davis the cold shoulder. No coffee OR sweet tea for you, asshole! She might be my favorite, other than Blue, the cutest kid on television. 

Edited by tennisgurl
  • Love 6
2 hours ago, topanga said:

Thanks, but I hope the show makes it more clear in future episodes. When the creator/director has to explain family dynamics, that means the script isn't do it well enough. 

i wonder if this is because the show is unfolding like a book would instead of like a tv show normally would?  Unless it is a matter of suspense or a spoiler, visual media tends to 'data dump' these sorts of things right away.  In theatre you normally get the Dramatis personae list and it explains characters & relationships for you so you immediately go into the play armed with that knowledge.  Tv and movies do the same thing but in a quick exposition.  But books tend to roll out revelations a bit slower.  I am finding this show to be like that, they are revealing out this sort of information in drips.  Like with Blue's mother, and then Charley's mother etc.  each episode we are getting a little more back story.

• Love 6

As much as I love Auntie Vi, I found it highly ironic that she lectured Ralph Angel about the consequences from Ernest's spoiling his youngest son last week, then she turns around and does the same thing, herself, this week.

• Love 1
34 minutes ago, tennisgurl said:

I still really liked the episode, but I found it to be a bit of a step down. Mainly because I was disappointed in Micah and how he has completely changed into the typical TV Teen for no reason. I mean, I get that he is going through a lot, and I am sure he loves his dead, but last week, he couldn't be in the same room as the guy, and now its all "Why wont you support dad? We need to stay with dad! Dad is totally in the right, why do you suck Mom"? Micah, sure your dad might not have raped someone, but he did DEFINITELY sleep with at least one hooker, and lied to your mom about it, to her face, several times. Give her a few days to process at least. Why change his characterization like this? Poor Charley hardly needs more drama in her life. And Micah better get used to two Christmases, because Charlie is already shooting heart eyes at Remy, who is hotter, probably does NOT sleep with hookers, and looks great in a cowboy hat. The music even ships them!

I didn't see him as a typical TV teen.  His mother told him they'd be leaving and then changed the plans.  I didn't like Charley when she got mad at Micah, I mean  Micah is a child and she rolled her eyes at him like he was a grown man.  The argument is between Charley and her husband, you don't put kids in the middle of it.  If he wants to be with his father, then let him. Maybe he just doesn't want to stay on the farm. 

Edited by Neurochick
  • Love 1
1 hour ago, Neurochick said:

The argument is between Charley and her husband, you don't put kids in the middle of it.  If he wants to be with his father, then let him. Maybe he just doesn't want to stay on the farm. 

I agree with you that Charley could have handled things better with Micah, and I can understand that he would want to go home to his friends and his girlfriend and his life. My issue is that his change came from nowhere, and he went from not even wanting to take his dads phone calls, to wanting to go home with dad right away, and to stand by him. I just wish they had explained more of his thought process, and why he was suddenly siding with dad.

• Love 2

I feel for Charley, because she's bearing the brunt of Micah's by being the mature parent. A less considerate parent would inform Micah all about his father's indiscretions, to level their son's misguided hero worship.

Meanwhile, Davis doesn't care about anyone but himself. He's the one putting Micah in the middle of everything by refusing to allow his family space.

I get that he considers Ernest family and that he's embroiled in a huge scandal, but Charley's entire world has been rocked several times in the past couple of weeks and she's still managing to function, which makes Davis look like a huge baby in contrast.

Edited by Dee
  • Love 6
3 hours ago, tennisgurl said:

I agree with you that Charley could have handled things better with Micah, and I can understand that he would want to go home to his friends and his girlfriend and his life. My issue is that his change came from nowhere, and he went from not even wanting to take his dads phone calls, to wanting to go home with dad right away, and to stand by him. I just wish they had explained more of his thought process, and why he was suddenly siding with dad.

There were two establishing scenes, though. Probably the most important was the call with the GF. I doubt Micah's as upset about his mother not having his Dad's back as he is about being stuck on a farm with family when he's used to a different life, but that's the accusation that would cause his mother to cave, and he knew it. There was also the scene when Davis showed up and how the males all remained on good terms with him. I don't really get it, but I've seen family dynamics that work that way.

I love the show. Never read the book (s?), so have no idea where things are going, but the cast is awesome and the storytelling is wonderful. I cried when the siblings tried to save their Dad's tractor. I assume Charley could probably have paid for it, but it was just such a last straw for RA what with his father's stuff being packed away, and all three of them still in mourning. The repo guys were repo guys. They weren't going anywhere. It was an awful standoff, but I like how it ended, with no shots fired. I have a feeling, though, that like Checkov's gun, RA's gun will play a role later. He IS on parole/probation?

I should look and see when the books were written. The Government is demonizing sugar now the way they did tobacco, and I fear for farmers with that crop.

• Love 5

I loved the small detail of Nova having no problem with Charley paying the outstanding debt for Ernest's tractor. Charley's wealth may be a recurring issue between the Bordelon sibs, but it sure comes in handy at times.

I also appreciated Ralph Angel sincerely apologizing to his sisters. For all his bluster, he really is the baby of the family.

Given the way the familial dynamics have been going, Charley and Ralph Angel are due to team up against Nova in the next couple of weeks.

• Love 3
On September 15, 2016 at 8:48 AM, DearEvette said:

Which brings me to Nova.  Given that Charley only came to live with them in the summer, she probably got some special attention from Earnest.  And given that RA is the baby and only boy he probably got spoiled.  So that leaves Nova. She fights for people outside her family almost relentlessy.  Is it because she needs to be needed?  As the oldest who lived through whatever went down with her father and his wives, did she feel pushed aside first by the new daughter and then the baby boy? !

This is what I suspect happened.  I'm also sure that as the oldest, the father pressured her to defend Charley as the inevitable comments were made. Nova undoubtedly had to witness her mother's pain over whatever Ernest's relationship with Charley's mother was and watching her mother having to endure Charley's yearly presence.  I can see her deciding to use those skills to defend those truly in need, not sister who is the constant (possibly favored reminder of her mother's pain) and the clearly favored son.  

Aside from finding out that backstory, the issue of the colorism that is so much a part of what we have seen thus far needs to be addressed. Some of that internalized self-hatred had to have shaped who these characters are.  

At this point, Aunt Vi and Hollywood are the couple, perhaps even the characters I am rooting for the most. However, his failure to shut skankalicious down especially knowing that they were outside of Vi's workplace and that Vi was arriving soon makes me question him and his intentions.  Hollywood is talking a good game, but actions speak louder than words.

I'm on the fence about Ralph Angel (still think Aunt Vi's assessment of him both last week and this week is dead on).  I have yet to see him make a sensible, well-thought out decision: leaving the kid in the park to rob the store (that's so going to come back); getting the gun and threatening people when he is on parole; getting drunk; hooking up with the ex.  How is he going to swing the mandate of working a full time job for his parole and running the farm.

Charley, like Ralph Angel has me on the fence.  I need to see more of her character to formulate an opinion.  I do think Davis's long history of cheating on her will be revealed, I also think it is entirely possible that he and his teammates did rape the hooker.  If he didn't actively participate in the act, did he organize what happened, perhaps even filming it?

Nova is the sibling I like the most at this point, but the affair with the married man has me side-eyeing her as well.

Edited by Happytobehere
Typo
  • Love 3

What I like about this show is that there's no one really to "root" for, which is as it should be.  I don't think in TV there needs to be anybody to root for because in real life people are messy.  I like Nova, but she is having an affair with a married man; Ralph Angel makes dumb decisions; Charley had that faux pas regarding the repass; their father probably had an affair when he was married.  None of these people are perfect, because no one is perfect.  Davis maybe has been cheating on Charley for a long time, but he loves his son.  People aren't behaviors on DSM3, nothing in real life is that clear cut most of the time.  

• Love 7

I think it's easy to root for Blue given what a tenuous situation he's in. His father is one bad decision from violating his parole and getting sent back to prison, and his mother is one stumble away from falling off the wagon and returning to her drug use. (Which could easily cost her that good job.) Plus he's an adorable and amazingly perceptive child. Excellent casting.

• Love 1

On the flip side, I feel like I'm rooting for all of them. To get it together, to stick together, to keep it together, all of that.

Now if they can put the farm into some kind of corporation that can give RA a paystub, we'll be good to go. 

• Love 3

Yeah, when watching tv I need a couple of characters I actually enjoy and a story that is well written and acted.  I don't need to root for them necessarily. But I want to watch their journey and have them not piss me off too bad or hate them too much.  A bonus of I just love a character or two flat out.

But I must say with this show I am like @Jesse i am kinda  rooting for them all.  Well, maybe not Davis too much.  But I want the farm to succeed for the siblings' sake and I want Ralph Angel to come to come out ok, mainly for Blue's sake.  I want Charley to kick butt.  And I want Nova to be happy.  I think she's my favorite.  So yeah I am kinda rooting for them all.

On September 16, 2016 at 0:44 PM, tennisgurl said:

I think Charley's also trying to shield Micah from the media sh*tstorm that's dropped on Davis back in  L.A. It's hard enough suffering a family crisis without it playing out in public. Besides, Charley's got some actual family business in Louisiana that needs her attention. Charley's outburst at Micah seemed to be out of frustration more than anything.

• Love 2

I'm rooting for them all as well, but aunt Vi is right, this sheltering of Blue is what apparently occurred in the raising of Ralph Angel and it isn't good. I also think being the only boy, carrying the family name, he was his father's pride maybe and had huge expectations put on him because of it, and he when he felt he couldn't live up to them, he started going in the wrong direction.  Ralph Angel has a ton of growing up to do. I still can't get over that robbing of the store, it was just so stupid. I can't get it because he didn't do it because he and his child were genuinely starving and they had no home, nor food. It really pissed me off after I found out what kind of family he has. He's so immature; can he really take pride in offering his father, who is full of pride, stolen money? I mean think about it Ralph Angel, start thinking about some things. 

I was glad to see him get that job and the pride in his face when he clocked out, I hope he can keep it going and not fly off the handle every time things go off course or they turn out to be hard.  Farming that land is going to be real hard, that's why their father stopped doing it, he was old, he didn't have the help or the money to pay for it and even though RA is young...it's going to hard. Is he going to get down on himself and just resort to old habits?

By the way, is RA the youngest? Because if he is and Nova is the eldest and he and Nova have the same mother, then the father cheated maybe? Maybe that's the reason Nova said, "mother" in that tone when referring the Charlie's mother having sent the flowers.  Who's the middle child Charlie or RA?

Anyway, this is a beautiful work of art, this show, absolutely rich and beautiful.

Edited by represent
  • Love 2
On 9/15/2016 at 8:17 AM, Gillian Rosh said:

This is why I need to pay closer attention when I am watching.

I thought the same as you until I read a recap and it mentioned it was Blue's mom.  It was so dark the women kind of look alike.  However, I was surprised to think that the teacher lived in a mobile home (I refuse to say trailer.  It just doesn't sound as nice as mobile home), and I was surprised that she would give in to RA so easily.  Now it makes sense.  Thank goodness for blogs and recaps!

• Love 1
On ‎9‎/‎15‎/‎2016 at 0:58 AM, Dee said:

On ‎9‎/‎16‎/‎2016 at 10:42 AM, tennisgurl said:

Even though it made me a little sad, I thought Mica's behavior was spot on.  Aside from the obvious desire to go home - because it is HOME, all of his actions ring true to me.  His knee jerk, gut reaction to his father's very public, on court shame, was to rally behind his mother.  In his straddling the line between child and man, the man showed up. Protect her, even against that very large man who is your father and who has equal claim to her.  But he is still a child and this is a messy situation.  He is not used to, or inclined to, view his father as a bad guy.  This is a man who his entire life was good to him and his mother.  They have an exemplary, almost perfect family.  He himself takes pride on representing, as the only child of these two amazing people.  On a deep, childlike level, he wants the trouble to blow away and they go back to what they always had.  He is not ready to see his father as a liar - perhaps habitual as we start to learn how deep this rabbit hole goes.  He is not ready to side with one parent over the other, when they both so clearly love him.  He is at an age when boys really, really need their fathers and decide whether or not to fashion themselves like their fathers - he's not ready to discard his lifelong role model.  But most of all, he is not ready for his family to dissolve.  On a deep level he knows that something irreparable has occurred.  He knows that his mother is smart enough, wealthy enough, young enough and pretty enough to do without his father should she choose to - and she has every right and motivation to choose to.  He knows all this but is not yet ready, so soon after, to accept this.  He fought with his mother because he wanted to see if she would simply forgive his father and that she would return to being the backbone she's always been in their little family during hard times.  His face when she walked away from him, telling him to just go, showed that he knows that she won't. 

On ‎9‎/‎16‎/‎2016 at 10:51 AM, Dee said:

As much as I love Auntie Vi, I found it highly ironic that she lectured Ralph Angel about the consequences from Ernest's spoiling his youngest son last week, then she turns around and does the same thing, herself, this week.

I think that Vi blames herself as much as she blames Ernest.  She was as complicit (maybe even more) for the spoiling rotten of Ralph Angel.   She doesn't have children of her own, so she loved her brother's children as if they were her own.  Even Micah receives her like a grandmother.  But she sees that this was a mistake.  With her brother now dead, Ralph Angel is not even in the same solar system as ready to step up to the throne and take his position as the male head of this family.  He is a man who is nearly helpless.  This is why she asked those two headstrong gals (as my grandmother would say) to back off a bit and let that man have a chance to experience manhood.  It wasn't taught to him, he's going to have to learn it on his own.

• Love 2
On ‎9‎/‎17‎/‎2016 at 9:55 AM, Happytobehere said:

I'm on the fence about Ralph Angel (still think Aunt Vi's assessment of him both last week and this week is dead on).  I have yet to see him make a sensible, well-thought out decision: leaving the kid in the park to rob the store (that's so going to come back); getting the gun and threatening people when he is on parole; getting drunk; hooking up with the ex.  How is he going to swing the mandate of working a full time job for his parole and running the farm.

[...] I also think it is entirely possible that he and his teammates did rape the hooker.

I'm having trouble even finding a fence to straddle for Ralph Angel.  He leaves his young child alone in a public park to rob a store, for money he doesn't even strictly need.  He can't exercise the first molecule of impulse control when he's pissed off and frustrated about the repo, even though Blue is RIGHT THERE.  Not only does he put Blue at risk of getting shot, but he bought an instant ticket back to prison--people tend to report a gun to the face.  Bye, Daddy.  Unless he was going to pull the trigger, bury the bodies, burn the tow truck and swear everyone to secrecy.  But probably not; he didn't think past Step One: Gun.  Not even Step One: Blue.

So he's yearning to be big-time farm owner/operator.  (800 acres is big-time.)  Well that's very sad because a)you don't have enough money for one starter piece of cane or the first spoonful of fertilizer, b)if you did manage to get going, you wouldn't see a penny of income for months and the kid needs to eat before then, c)the State requires you to show a regular pay stub.  Gee, maybe everyone can get organized and pull together to front you a huge amount of start-up money, feed and clothe your son and give you a pass on rules for parole.

OR, they could lease the farmland for five years, build up some bank from the rent check and give Ralph Angel some much-needed time to mature.  He can be a sugarcane farm owner/operator in five years.

Exactly.  Hooker versus rape isn't an either/or situation.  Davis slung a semi-conscious woman over his shoulder and carried her into a hotel room with multiple drunk horny guys.  Charley might want to think bigger picture than "My husband hired a pro."

@Timetoread, that was a beautiful analysis of Micah's emotional situation. I think it's spot on.

On 9/25/2016 at 7:29 AM, candall said:

Exactly.  Hooker versus rape isn't an either/or situation.  Davis slung a semi-conscious woman over his shoulder and carried her into a hotel room with multiple drunk horny guys.  Charley might want to think bigger picture than "My husband hired a pro."

I agree. That "defense" bothered me from the get-go.

• Love 1

Vi is clearly wary of Darla and Ralph Angel treats her as an emotional crutch (when he's not sneering at her), but Nova and Charley have yet to register an opinion about Blue's mom, however I bet things will get real interesting, for all of them, if/when Ralph Angel starts dating Blue's teacher.

On 9/16/2016 at 5:20 AM, topanga said:

They listed them Nova, Charles and Ralph Angel in that order in the will which like with obituaries when listing surviving children it is fairly standard to list in order of age, especially on group bequests.

Edited by biakbiak
  • Love 1

So...how is Ralph-Angel still wandering around a free man at the end of this episode?  It seems like those repo men would have reported his threatening them with a gun as soon as they were out of sight, which you'd think would lead to the police showing up to arrest him.  Unless those are some really jaded repo men.

• Love 1
On 2016-09-17 at 9:55 AM, Happytobehere said:

This is what I suspect happened.  I'm also sure that as the oldest, the father pressured her to defend Charley as the inevitable comments were made. Nova undoubtedly had to witness her mother's pain over whatever Ernest's relationship with Charley's mother was and watching her mother having to endure Charley's yearly presence.  I can see her deciding to use those skills to defend those truly in need, not sister who is the constant (possibly favored reminder of her mother's pain) and the clearly favored son.  

Aside from finding out that backstory, the issue of the colorism that is so much a part of what we have seen thus far needs to be addressed. Some of that internalized self-hatred had to have shaped who these characters are.  

At this point, Aunt Vi and Hollywood are the couple, perhaps even the characters I am rooting for the most. However, his failure to shut skankalicious down especially knowing that they were outside of Vi's workplace and that Vi was arriving soon makes me question him and his intentions.  Hollywood is talking a good game, but actions speak louder than words.

Charley, like Ralph Angel has me on the fence.  I need to see more of her character to formulate an opinion.  I do think Davis's long history of cheating on her will be revealed, I also think it is entirely possible that he and his teammates did rape the hooker.  If he didn't actively participate in the act, did he organize what happened, perhaps even filming it?

Nova is the sibling I like the most at this point, but the affair with the married man has me side-eyeing her as well.

I'm not sure if the show needs to get too explicit when addressing the colourism. I actually feel like the show is addressing it as is. The fact that Charley stands out from her siblings shows the weight of that. A few comments about "good hair" and light skin might cover it. Especially since colourism is such an unspoken issue. The show has been great about dealing race by showing (the scene with Nova and the prisoner was wonderfully restrained) I'm not sure how they would get in colourism without telling. Its something that usually takes some explaining since the show probably at least wants to pretend it has a white audience. There are definitely some different degrees of colourism in and around New Orleans that I would find interesting to get into but the Treme fan in me worries about a broader audience being as interested. Its always a balance for a show like this between drawing an audience into a new world and educating them about it without making them feel like they are being told to eat broccoli .

Hollywood is still a type to me. (If he was a few shades lighter and had Native hair he could be one of my cousins from back on the Rez. This does not endear him to me. ) He talks a good game but time will tell if he actually sticks it out with Vi.

Yeah Ralph Angel clearly wants to be a good man like his Pops. He just also has the potential to be a massive fuck up. He better hope that repo man never figures out who his sister is or his pulling gun will be all over TMZ.

I like Charley she has dignity, a rare virtue these days. Especially from a ballers wife.

I feel like there is more to the story with Nova and her cop at least I hope so. Although part of me just likes Greg Vaughn he was my second favourite Lucky.

All in all I like this show the tonal issues are clearing up and this show actually worked on almost all levels. There are still a few issues with pacing and giving each characters story it due. (Micah and Ralph Angel were both more than a little all over the place this episode). I can see how it all might come together though and I know I will enjoy watching it.

Edited by Emily Thrace
On 9/15/2016 at 0:58 AM, Dee said:

She needs to have "American Violet" played for the DA and put him (almost certainly a white him) that that won't play with her (it's the story of an innocent woman who was piled with charges and coerced to take a plea.)

On 9/16/2016 at 4:50 PM, NorthstarATL said:

I assume Charley could probably have paid for it

She tried but the repo men can't take money like that (there's several "reality" shows about repo men.)

On 9/17/2016 at 10:55 AM, Happytobehere said:

From Vi's words and actions, she knew he was just playing with the skank.  Indeed he didn't say or do anything to lead skank on.

On 10/12/2016 at 10:19 PM, SeanC said:

Unless those are some really jaded repo men.

Repo man #2 was awfully quick with the shot-gun!

• Love 1