Type keyword(s) to search

Detective and Mystery Shows

zxy556575
  • Start Topic

(edited)

Amazon Prime has been giving me more worthwhile mystery and detective shows to watch than Netflix, Hulu, Britbox, and Acorn TV put together. I just finished watching season 1 of a British/French show starring Stephen Dillane called The Tunnel. Now onto season 2.

Edited by Enigma X

I recently started watching Hidden on Amazon Prime, it's Welsh and from the production team for Hinterland.  When I discover a new series I tend to ration out episodes to one per day and so far I'm really enjoying this one.

On 7/3/2020 at 9:48 PM, LisaM said:

Just finished Season 3 of Bordertown. Hoping for Season 4. Quite an interesting main character. 

Going to start Season 2 of Deadwind and then move on to Marcella, which came highly recommended. 

The third season of Bordertown was announced to be its last so it sounds like it ended as it planned to. 

I liked season 1 of Marcella but at the same time, it didn't feel quite in control of its crazy and I was afraid that the second and third series would go off the rails so I've been hesitating on it. 

I'm watching Giri/Haji on Netflix (not really a mystery show--more about a Japanese gang war taking place in Tokyo and London but it has an intriguing style so I do recommend it) but Deadwind is my next plan.  For more light hearted fare, I started watching a show called The Sommerdahl Murders from Denmark on Acorn.  It's Scandanavian but without the noir elementy.  It takes place in a sunny seaside town. 

On 7/4/2020 at 12:37 PM, Enigma X said:

Amazon Prime has been giving me more worthwhile mystery and detective shows to watch than Netflix, Hulu, Britbox, and Acorn TV put together. I just finished watching season 1 of a British/French show starring Stephen Dillane called Trust. Now onto season 2.

Do you mean The Tunnel?  It's the British/French version of The Bridge and I enjoyed it as well. 

• Love 1
1 minute ago, Irlandesa said:

Do you mean The Tunnel?  It's the British/French version of The Bridge and I enjoyed it as well. 

In the middle of the night I woke up thinking I need to fix that post. Thanks for the reminder. I do mean The Tunnel.

I've been trying to find Forbrydelsen (the original Danish version of The Killing) as well as Bron/Broen (The Bridge) for free on any of the streaming services. No luck. Anyone been able to find them? 

21 hours ago, LisaM said:

I've been trying to find Forbrydelsen (the original Danish version of The Killing) as well as Bron/Broen (The Bridge) for free on any of the streaming services. No luck. Anyone been able to find them? 

Has Forbrydelsen ever been available to stream in the US? I kept an eye out for it, but I don't remember it showing up anywhere.

I wanted to do a rewatch of Bron/Broen just last week, then was disappointed to find that it's no longer available on Hulu. It's definitely worth tracking down, but unfortunately I don't see it anywhere now except to buy.

I started watching seasons 1 and 2 of  Frankie Drake Mysteries which are available now on Amazon Prime for free until 7/31. (Previously they were only for purchase on Amazon. I had found season 3 on Ovation for free but wanted to start at the beginning.) 

I had been watching Vera on Acorn from the beginning; then life took a turn and I hadn't watched in quite (a few months); I also know that Brit Box has the latest in the series.  But last night seemed to skip from Season 2 to Season 6.  I couldn't get any season in-between; maybe it was a quirk with Roku or Acorn; I will try again this evening.  Does anyone know what season Brit Box takes the series over?

5 hours ago, Kemper said:

Does anyone know what season Brit Box takes the series over?

In the US at least, I believe Acorn has seasons 1, 2, 6, and 7 while Britbox has the rest through season 10. It's really frustrating that the show has been split between the two services.

• Useful 1
  • Love 1
14 hours ago, krankydoodle said:

In the US at least, I believe Acorn has seasons 1, 2, 6, and 7 while Britbox has the rest through season 10. It's really frustrating that the show has been split between the two services.

PBS is showing Season 6, I think, in preparation for the introduction of Season 10 this fall.

The seasons are getting shorter, and with the pandemic this year, I can't help but think that Vera's days may be numbered.

Shannon

• Love 1
2 hours ago, IrishPirate said:

PBS is showing Season 6, I think, in preparation for the introduction of Season 10 this fall.

I don't think anyone's mentioned it in the Vera topic, but I wonder if PBS cuts scenes from episodes like they have with Endeavour. That's also incredibly frustrating, especially when it's on streaming where they're not limited by time slots. New Tricks and Silent Witness on Hulu have had scenes cut that make the episodes seem choppy and the story lines harder to follow.

3 hours ago, krankydoodle said:

I don't think anyone's mentioned it in the Vera topic, but I wonder if PBS cuts scenes from episodes like they have with Endeavour. That's also incredibly frustrating, especially when it's on streaming where they're not limited by time slots. New Tricks and Silent Witness on Hulu have had scenes cut that make the episodes seem choppy and the story lines harder to follow.

I recently watched New Tricks on Hulu, even thought I own the dvd's, never again. There were scenes I remembered, especially the 'off duty' scenes with Gerry and his daughters or Brian and Esther that they cut out. Hated it.

• Love 1
2 hours ago, Writing Wrongs said:

Has anyone watched An Inspector Calls?

Yes, it was baffling, engaging & very well done. I too had to search thru the net to better understand the ending.  It delivers a powerful social message about humanity & moral fragility.  Would strongly recommend, & the viewer to come up with your own theories about the ending.

• Love 1
(edited)
On 7/21/2020 at 4:12 PM, Writing Wrongs said:

I watched Mallorca Files. It's a fun detective show.

I liked it too. I think that there is a Season 2 coming soon.

I finished 3 seasons of Frankie Drake Mysteries last night. Fun, easy show which is perfect for the current world craziness.

ETA: Finished Season 1 of Marcella last night. It was okay - the resolution of the mystery was good but the heroine (Marcella) is a bit too unlikable for me. I think I will skip the next two seasons and find another mystery to binge.

ETA: Started Shetland last night. Watched the first 2-part mystery and am all in. 

Edited by LisaM
  • Love 2

Finished Shetland - excellent! Looking forward to Season 6. Very similar to Vera in a lot of ways. I'd like to find another series similar to these two. 

Watched first episode of Grantchester. It was a bit slow. Watched first episode of Fortitude - not for me. 

Going to try the new Harlan Coben mystery, The Woods, as well as The Doctor Blake Mysteries. 

ETA: did not like The Woods. I quit midway thru the first episode. Now starting The Tunnel. Binged The Tunnel all weekend. Quite good. Now starting the sequel The Tunnel Sabotage. 

Edited by LisaM
On 8/3/2020 at 10:09 AM, dleighg said:

I watch all British shows with closed captions

Hell, I watch all TV with closed captions these days and I'm not hard of hearing.  With all the whispering for effect (and for affect), background music swelling to a point that it overwhelms the dialogue and accents, which I'm usually okay with but don't want to rewind in case I miss something, I've just embraced the caption. 

It makes watching things with subtitles no big deal.

• Love 6

I just finished the second season of Rebecka Martinsson and I really was sad it was over. I cried and then laughed. I had traveled to Sweden twice, to Goteborg (joke in the series) and up to Umea but never made it to Kiruna. I was outvoted by my travel mates on that one.

Coroner, the Canadian series, premieres tonight on the CW. 

ETA:  Finished Season 3 (final one) of The Tunnel. Not as good as Seasons 1 and 2. 

Now looking for the next binge. 

ETA: Have now watched first episode of Hinterland (which I liked and will continue), the first few episodes of Sommerdahl (which I also liked but had a bit too much focus on their marital issues), and the first two episodes of Murdoch Mysteries (which reminds me a bit of Frankie Drake Mysteries perhaps because it is also set in Toronto). I can see binge watching Murdoch while also continuing with the other two shows. I was disappointed in the first episode of Coroner. 

Edited by LisaM
  • Useful 1

Netflix has just released Season 3 of High Seas.  I really enjoyed this Spanish mystery show set aboard an ocean liner in the 1940s.  Sad to hear that they aren't moving forward with Season 4, so I will savor this last season.

Just started watching the first episode, and it appears that this season's plot involves a mysterious illness that sickens many aboard the ship.  I would imagine this season was filmed prior to the pandemic, but this is very eerie considering real-life events.   There's even a depiction of what looks to be a coronavirus in the opening credits.

Edited by blackwing

I liked the first season of Alta Mar but haven't watched the second or third yet.  I hope the third doesn't end on a cliffhanger since they were anticipating a season 4.

I just binged The Capture on Peacock the other day.  It's probably more of a thriller although there are mystery elements.  The mystery part is a detective starts to suspect all is not what it seems when CCTV captures a man attacking his lawyer who disappears.  The thriller/conspiracy? is why things look different on tape compared to what he claims happened.

Edited by Irlandesa

Started watching Mystery Road on Acorn. Set in the Outback. 2 missing teen boys. Judy Davis as the Senior police officer.

ETA: Finished Mystery Road. Quite good. Looking forward to Season 2 which should be out on Acorn this year.

Am in the middle of Season 1 of Unforgotten on Amazon Prime. I'm not sure how I missed this one before. It is excellent so far. Male/female detectives on the trail of a 40 year old cold case. Highly recommended so far. 

Edited by LisaM
  • Love 1
On 8/9/2020 at 1:20 PM, Irlandesa said:

I liked the first season of Alta Mar but haven't watched the second or third yet.  I hope the third doesn't end on a cliffhanger since they were anticipating a season 4.

I just finished the third season.  The first season was definitely my favorite.  There's a couple new characters in the third season that I couldn't stand, and some familiar faces have reduced roles.  I still enjoyed it overall, was sad that at 6 episodes it was so short.

I'm still curious as to when this season was filmed... I think I read that it got greenlit in November,  But I think the pandemic was already in high swing in China in December.  And then the Diamond Princess event was in January.  Just so eerie to have a plot involving a virus on a cruise ship.

There's no cliffhanger at the end of Season 3, so no worries on that end.

• Useful 1
  • Love 1

I haven't been watching much Netflix lately, but was excited to see that Criminal: UK is coming back for another season in September. I'll probably check out Young Wallander, too. It's a little odd that though it's set in Sweden, everyone's speaking English with a variety of accents, but that type of thing generally doesn't bother me.

I'm enjoying a rewatch of Cadfael on Amazon Prime, but wish Sean Pertwee had been able to stay on as the Sheriff for the whole run.

• Love 1
On 8/19/2020 at 1:35 PM, krankydoodle said:

I haven't been watching much Netflix lately, but was excited to see that Criminal: UK is coming back for another season in September. I'll probably check out Young Wallander, too. It's a little odd that though it's set in Sweden, everyone's speaking English with a variety of accents, but that type of thing generally doesn't bother me.

I'm enjoying a rewatch of Cadfael on Amazon Prime, but wish Sean Pertwee had been able to stay on as the Sheriff for the whole run.

I didn't realise Cadfael is now on Amazon Prime, is that recent?  I remember looking for it on both Netflix and Amazon some time ago and couldn't find it.  I'll have to check it out again.  I agree that Sean Pertwee was the perfect Hugh Beringar, just the way I pictured him when I read the whole series.  It was quite jarring to have three different actors portray Hugh over four seasons.

I remember greatly despising Brother Jerome... he was way more annoying on TV than he ever was in the books.

• Love 1

I'm not sure when it was added to Prime. I just noticed that it kept coming up in my recommendations over the past month or so.

Yes, Brother Jerome was the worst! I know he was supposed to be an unlikable character, but he was almost too successful at it.

• Love 1
On 5/30/2020 at 8:13 PM, LisaM said:

I'm watching Loch Ness on AcornTV - one season with 6-8 episodes. It centers around 2 female cops trying to solve multiple murders by a serial killer. The scenery is beautiful - but not quite as gorgeous as Cornwall from Doc Martin, which I just finished binge watching. So far, this is not bad. 

I watch most of the shows you guys talk about and I just watched this one. It was just the most quintessential small town, top cop is a middle aged mom, town has apparently gone bar shit, dark yet absurd plot, show. W I think 6 episodes it really defines that whole plot genre 

• Love 1

Finished Season 3 of Unforgotten. Excellent series. For me, ranks up there with No Offence, Vera, Balthazar, Shetland and Trapped as my favorite foreign mystery shows. The acting and story were great. I particularly liked that, unlike so many other shows, there was almost no depiction of violence. I did not have to cover my eyes during any gory stuff. 

ETA: Started watching River last night on Amazon Prime. Unusual British police drama - 1 season, 6 episodes. Well done so far. 

Edited by LisaM
  • Love 1

I’ve watched most of the shows discussed here and I am surprised no one has mentioned George Gently. I had caught episodes here and there before but just watched the whole series straight thru. Really great character writing without the characters taking over the mysteries and police work plots. Great show 

• Love 3
18 hours ago, Writing Wrongs said:

Started another new show on Britbox, McDonald & Dodds. I like it so far.

I watched Episode 1 as well. I thought it was worth coming back for more - especially since this was only the first episode. DCI McDonald was a bit too strident and annoying for me; hopefully she will tone down a bit. Loved Dodds. Looking forward to them building a relationship. 

• Love 2

Yes, Acorn and Britbox have been a godsend during this lockdown. I like the usual dark moody mysteries..Vera, Shetland, Line of Duty...but the softer ones, too. I have enjoyed Wild Bill, the new McDonald and Dodds, Shakespeare and Hathaway. I usually find comedies a little too slapstick and the sacrifice of character traits to make a joke really irks, so I try so very few. But I really enjoyed Finding Joy. Really, hope there are more series!

On 9/12/2020 at 8:47 AM, laredhead said:

Someone recommended High Seas, and I began watching it a couple of nights ago.  I love the beautiful period fashion and decor.  Lots of plot twists and turns. Great addition to my love of mystery shows. 

I was one of them... I loved this show, especially the first season.  I really love the music too, particularly that suspenseful and fast theme that plays almost always at the end of the episode when something shocking has happened.

• Love 2

Came here looking for something else - there was a page where someone wrote about English mystery shows.  Anyway reading these comments reminded me of so many good shows.

Not sure if these have ever been mentioned but I recommend Murder Is My Life (Australian w/ the Lucy Lawless) - it's on the lighter side.

I'm currently watching The Sounds.  It's from New Zeland with amazing scenery.  I'm hooked on the mystery although the lead actress isn't that good.

Two of my all time favorite mystery shows:  The Eagle and Unit 1.  Both are Danish.

• Love 2