Type keyword(s) to search

Detective and Mystery Shows

zxy556575
  • Start Topic

Just finished New Tricks. After watching eps quickly, I tried to slow down towards the end so it wouldn't end. I enjoyed it. Interestingly, it seemed that both this show and Shakespeare & Hathaway 

Spoiler

got a bit darker/more serious than the shows started, though New Tricks definitely had it's darker moments early on, too. It just seemed to also have more lightness and humor mixed in. I will say the final season seemed to try to bring some of it back. The newer retirees slowly grew on me, but I also missed the original team. 

With Shakespeare & Hathaway, there were some episodes in the first two seasons that involved mysteries without murder, or ended up having surprising happy endings. That seemed to change this last season, although the characters stayed silly. Even Hathaway started dressing all professionally instead of like his usual self. 

I tried the first episode of the French crime-comedy series Capitaine Marleau but was disappointed. The lead character was just too aggressively quirky for my taste and the story didn't hold my interest despite the presence of Gérard Depardieu.

On a more positive note, I was excited to see that the first 5 seasons of Law & Order: UK are on Amazon Prime's IMDBtv.

• Love 1

BTW, I noticed The Mallorca Files has started to air on my PBS station and my parents' PBS station (they live in a different state) so you might want to check your local PBS station to see if it's airing where you live.

• Love 1

I was pretty bummed to see that Keeping Faith didn't have a dedicated forum. I'm anxiously awaiting the third/final season. I'd watch the Welsh version with subtitles but I can't even get that to stream properly for me. I think it's geoblocked.

On 1/28/2021 at 4:34 PM, mledawn said:

I was pretty bummed to see that Keeping Faith didn't have a dedicated forum. I'm anxiously awaiting the third/final season. I'd watch the Welsh version with subtitles but I can't even get that to stream properly for me. I think it's geoblocked.

Anyone can start a thread for a show in the appropriate forum.  For Keeping Faith, it'd go here.  

• Love 1
16 hours ago, Door County Cherry said:

Anyone can start a thread for a show in the appropriate forum.  For Keeping Faith, it'd go here.  

Oh thank you! I just don't seem to have the wit on demand to come up with thread names, somehow.

On 1/30/2021 at 4:34 PM, mledawn said:

I just don't seem to have the wit on demand to come up with thread names, somehow.

You don't need thread names, it would just be the name of the show. Less popular shows just get one big thread, rather than their own forum with (cleverly named) sub-forums.

• Useful 2

Really looking forward to Season 7 of Brokenwood Mysteries.  Such a charming series.  Recently watched Queens of Mystery on dvd thanks to the public library.  The productions values and cast were great, although the narration was a bit twee for my taste.

Amazon Prime has a couple seasons of Murder Call, an Australian series I used to watch when MHz Networks was still an over the air station, so I've worked my way through the available episodes, but I think there are 3 more seasons that Amazon Prime doesn't have.  It's a nice straightforward police procedural.

I've been enjoying Frankie Drake, although I don't think it's as good as Murdoch Mysteries. I think the morality officer is a hoot.  I need to put a hold on the series 3 dvds at the library.

• Love 3

It looks like things are finally ramping up with Acorn.  Balthazar Season 3 was released a few weeks ago and I liked it better than Season 2. 

Agatha Raisin is back in production.  As is My Life Is Murder

The new season of Brokenwood Mysteries is coming out in March.

Edited by Irlandesa
  • Love 3
On 2/22/2021 at 9:07 PM, Irlandesa said:

It looks like things are finally ramping up with Acorn.  Balthazar Season 3 was released a few weeks ago and I liked it better than Season 2. 

Agatha Raisin is back in production.  As is My Life Is Murder

The new season of Brokenwood Mysteries is coming out in March.

I'm not that fond of Agatha Raisin, but I'm thrilled for the return of My Life Is Murder and Brokenwood Mysteries(Although why any woman would want to date or marry Mike is beyond me.) I love the supporting cast. 

• Love 2

Great news about more Brokenwood Mysteries!

I have just in the last week discovered Endeavour.   I don't want to go on the thread for it here because I'm only on Season 2 and I'm not sure if it will reveal too much, but it is great having a new-to-me show to watch.  The cast is excellent.

• Love 3

I am finally about to finish my binge of Murdoch Mysteries on Acorn. I've been mostly staying away from the Murdoch forum so that I am not accidentally spoiled and the posts about earlier episodes were unfortunately lost. I've really enjoyed it and watching the episodes back to back has really helped in terms of continuity. I'm just about finished with Season 13. Season 14 is starting to be released with individual episodes on Ovation. 

Looking forward to watching Balthazar Season 3 next. Thrilled to hear the news about Brokenwood Mysteries. These are two of my top shows. I also saw a trailer for Season 2 of The Mallorca Files which I believe is dropping on Britbox on March 1. 

• Love 1
On 2/24/2021 at 11:08 PM, roseha said:

I have just in the last week discovered Endeavour.   I don't want to go on the thread for it here because I'm only on Season 2 and I'm not sure if it will reveal too much, but it is great having a new-to-me show to watch.  The cast is excellent.

I discovered Endeavour last year, and love it. I would definitely avoid the current thread till you're all caught up, but it used to have an actual forum (now vaulted) with individual episode threads for season two onward that you might want to check out: https://forums.primetimer.com/forum/1006-endeavour-v/

• Love 2
1 hour ago, dargosmydaddy said:

I discovered Endeavour last year, and love it. I would definitely avoid the current thread till you're all caught up, but it used to have an actual forum (now vaulted) with individual episode threads for season two onward that you might want to check out: https://forums.primetimer.com/forum/1006-endeavour-v/

Thanks very much @dargosmydaddy.  I see the threads from Season 2, thanks. I am loving the show too!  I do wonder sometimes about certain details since so much can happen in a single episode, so that will be useful!

Edited by roseha
Corrected earlier post

I am finishing a binge of My Life is Murder. I had previously watched the first episode and decided that I had zero interest. This weekend, I decided to give it a second chance and found that the next episodes are quite better. I am now up to the last episode in Season 1 and have definitely enjoyed it. Looking forward to Season 2. 

ETA: Just watched first episode of Season 3 of Balthazar. So glad that this show is back! 

Edited by LisaM
  • Love 4
8 hours ago, Irlandesa said:

I didn't like it when I first started to watch it but liked it more when I went back again.  It's pretty weird that they're recasting the lead. 

I like the aunts a lot. Wasn't cracked on the lead actress but agree that it is weird that they are recasting. 

• Love 1

I'm two episodes into Bloodlands (well only two have dropped so far) and I'm enjoying it so far.  Moody Irish scenery and some twisty storytelling.

Episode 2 is 😲. I did not see that coming! Dang. Is it Monday yet?

Only 4 episodes total, so it should move quickly. FYI: Just found out it was renewed last week for a second season.

Edited by Ms Lark
  • Love 2

I am really looking forward to Bloodlands but I am going to wait for all Season1 episodes to drop before watching any. I'm too addicted to binge watching. 

Season 7 of Brokenwood Mysteries - one of my favorites - drops on March 29. Cannot wait. 

• Useful 1
  • Love 2
1 hour ago, BlackberryJam said:

Looking forward to Brokenwood. #JusticeforGina though.

That's dropping weekly which is both good and bad.  It'll spread out the fun but I do like a binge.

And no Justice for Gina cuz Gina hasn't been wronged.  Mike has deflected enough times that any idiot should have realized he hasn't been interested in her romantically.  That'll probably change because shows like to reward that kind of behavior. 

BTW, if you enjoy mystery shows and don't mind subtitles, you might want to bookmark this site: EuroTV Place.  They list all the European shows, mostly foreign language, that are coming out and do an overview post of the next month usually on the last day of the current month. 

I like it because they also advertise the "promos" Amazon Prime runs where Prime members can watch part of a show (usually a season's worth) that airs on one of the subscription channels you can get through them to see if you'd like to subscribe to the channel. 

That's how I'm watching Capitaine Marleau right now.  Usually it's an MHZ show but Prime has the first season until March 31.  I'm kind of liking it.  It's one woman who travels around France solving mysteries so she's mostly the only regular character. 

• Useful 1
  • Love 1

That's dropping weekly which is both good and bad.  It'll spread out the fun but I do like a binge.

And no Justice for Gina cuz Gina hasn't been wronged.  Mike has deflected enough times that any idiot should have realized he hasn't been interested in her romantically.  That'll probably change because shows like to reward that kind of behavior. 

I wasn't clear. The writers have done Gina wrong. She deserves better than to debase herself for Mike, the most mediocre of white dudes. There is not one thing romantically attractive about him. Gina deserves a worthwhile love interest.

• Useful 1
9 hours ago, Irlandesa said:

BTW, if you enjoy mystery shows and don't mind subtitles, you might want to bookmark this site: EuroTV Place.  They list all the European shows, mostly foreign language, that are coming out and do an overview post of the next month usually on the last day of the current month. 

I like it because they also advertise the "promos" Amazon Prime runs where Prime members can watch part of a show (usually a season's worth) that airs on one of the subscription channels you can get through them to see if you'd like to subscribe to the channel. 

That's how I'm watching Capitaine Marleau right now.  Usually it's an MHZ show but Prime has the first season until March 31.  I'm kind of liking it.  It's one woman who travels around France solving mysteries so she's mostly the only regular character. 

Thanks so much for the link! 

• Love 1

I struggled with Capitaine Marleau, which is a shame because I like the premise but the execution didn't work for me. I enjoyed The Paris Murders (aka Profilage) on Amazon Prime, though. As a police procedural, it doesn't really break the mold, but the plots are interesting enough, the cast is likable, and the setting is a nice change from the US & UK crime dramas I usually watch.

• Love 1

I have started watching Agathe Koltes on Amazon Prime. French police drama with an interesting female lead character. So far, so good. 

UPDATE: I finished Agathe Koltes (Season 1) and can highly recommend it. Main premise is that a well-respected police commander transfers to her hometown police force where her estranged daughter is the police commissioner. Nobody else knows their connection. There is a Season 2 but it is not yet available anywhere on a streaming platform. 

Edited by LisaM
  • Useful 3
(edited)

Now watching The Paris Murders on Amazon Prime. They have "seasons 1 and 2" which are actually seasons 4 and 5 of the show when broadcast in France. Interesting police drama with a forensic psychologist in the lead role. 

ETA: Watched first episode of Season 7 of Brokenwood Mysteries last night. So nice to see the whole gang back together again. 

Edited by LisaM

Could not edit my above post so apologies for two posts in a row. 

Watched Bloodlands yesterday -- thought it was quite poor. I really expected more given all of the build up. The last episode, in particular, was lousy. In contrast, just finished the three episodes of The Pembrokeshire Murders  (Britbox) - which was excellent. It told the story of the solving of a series of related real-life cold cases. 

• Love 2

I just saw the third episode of Season 7 of Brokenwood Mysteries.   I don't want to give too much away yet, but for those who are keeping score, of the usual semi-regulars, we've had Frodo, Mrs. Marlowe, Ray and Trudy (formerly at the pub, now at a pizza parlor), and the hilariously awful attorney Dennis Buchanan.

The first episode wasn't a favorite of mine, much of that had to do with the murder which was pretty gruesome, but it had a couple of good subplots that were more entertaining.  The second and third were both very good I thought.

Edited by roseha
  • Love 2

I'm now watching Luna and Sophie - German police detectives who are childhood best friends. The cases are not particularly heavy and the banter between the two leads is fun. It's on Amazon from Walter Presents. 

• Love 2
12 hours ago, LisaM said:

I'm now watching Luna and Sophie - German police detectives who are childhood best friends. The cases are not particularly heavy and the banter between the two leads is fun. It's on Amazon from Walter Presents. 

I gave this one a try. I enjoy the characters and its a light police mystery which I always like to have in my rotation of shows. 

• Love 2

New Jane Seymour Irish mystery series coming on Acorn:

https://deadline.com/2021/04/jane-seymour-harry-wild-amc-acorn-tv-1234733983/

ETA:

New mystery coming to Acorn on May 24 called Whitstable Pearl. It's about a restaurant owner who investigates crime together with a DCI in the English town of Whitstable. Looks interesting. 

https://thebritishtvplace.com/2021/04/whitstable-pearl-acorn-tv-sets-us-canada-premiere-date-for-new-mystery-series/?utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=feed&utm_campaign=Feed%3A+TheBritishTvPlace+(The+British+TV+Place)

Edited by LisaM
  • Love 3

Argh, Bloodlands was a frustrating finish, but apparently it's been re-upped for a second series, which will be interesting. 

Just binged Jack Irish and was so happy with Guy Pearce AND Aaron Pedersen in the same series. I saw on the actress who plays Linda's Instagram that they've finished filming the final series and that should be out this year.

Now bingeing Brokenwood Mysteries and it's been a nice filler.

The first episodes of the last season of Keeping Faith were slightly annoying and having that week to week is going to be agony, but I was glad to see Arthur included in the show again.

• Love 1
On 4/16/2021 at 8:16 PM, mledawn said:

Just binged Jack Irish and was so happy with Guy Pearce AND Aaron Pedersen in the same series. I saw on the actress who plays Linda's Instagram that they've finished filming the final series and that should be out this year.

Thanks for the heads up on Jack Irish. I'm a big fan of both of the actors you mentioned. I see that Acorn also has the Jack Irish movies which predate the series. Have you seen them? Is it best to see them and then the Series?

8 hours ago, khyber said:

Thanks for the heads up on Jack Irish. I'm a big fan of both of the actors you mentioned. I see that Acorn also has the Jack Irish movies which predate the series. Have you seen them? Is it best to see them and then the Series?

Acorn presents the whole thing in order, I've found. Based on the Wikipedia article for the show, yes the movies first, then the series. 

Watched the fourth episode of Brokenwood Mysteries. Nice to see Craig Hall, who played the police captain on Doctor Blake Mysteries. 

This show remains one of my top favorites. I miss Breen but the new detective is fitting in nicely. 

• Love 2

Now watching Money Heist on Netflix. I apparently missed the period in which this show became a phenomenon. It's good but not as entertaining as Brokenwood Mysteries, Vera, Shetland, and others. 

• Love 1
21 minutes ago, MargeGunderson said:

@LisaM, have you tried Lupin on Netflix? Less intense than Money Heist, great scenery (it’s set in Paris) and interesting story. The first 5 episodes are on Netflix now and there are 6 more (I think) coming this summer.

No - but I will now. Thank you! 

• Love 2

So I recently watched season 1 of the old show MANNIX(1967) starring Mike Connors. A detective show taking off of the 60s spy craze he original premise has the main character where works at a big detective agency "Intertect" that uses the latest "state of the art" computers:

MannixCap1.thumb.jpg.ebe279f2d7bcc57c585da0b5ce0a5ace.jpg

Mannix of course was an "old school" guy who preferred to rely on his instincts than a machine, much to the chagrin of his  boss, the agency head played by Joseph Campanella.The ratings were low so Desilu studios head Lucille Ball thought all this fancy technology baffled the average viewer so she ordered a retooling in season 2 where Mannix had quit "Intersect" and was now just a regular private eye working from his house with a secretary played by Gail Fisher and the show was a hit.

f2512e4bebbfeab416a97ccf5c14ccfa.jpg.67a1d29beea1cc2e1e474ae3387fa98d.jpg

IMO I don't think it was the computer stuff that put off viewers. If your spending 8 hours working in a big office building, getting in fights with your boss, you don't want to come home after a hard day to watch a show about a detective going through the same thing. One of the big appeals of a private detective character is theyre their own boss. They make their own hours and don't take orders from anybody.

Edited by VCRTracking
  • Love 3

I just finished “You Cannot Hide” on Netflix and got surprisingly invested.  It was one of those that, after an episode where I usually quit until the next day...I would stay engaged.  I would intend to watch about five minutes of the next episode but would get absorbed ... and then...I had completed the whole episode.

I love my “British, Scandi and Australian mysteries” on Acorn (not all that many of them on Netflix anymore).  Love Midsomer, Brokenwood, Vera, etc.  But this Telemundo series really grabbed me.  I figured out who The Bad Guy was right toward the end.  But there were quite a few to pick from.

• Love 1

I started Backstrom last night (Acorn). Brilliant homicide cop faced with a victim who supposedly died years ago. Swedish with subtitles. Apparently will be facing internal department issues. 

Interested enough to watch the next episode. 

UPDATE: Finished the 6 episode first series. It was pretty good - but not nearly as good as many other Acorn or Britbox shows discussed here. I did like the friendship between Backstrom and his young neighbor sidekick. 

Edited by LisaM
  • Love 1