Type keyword(s) to search

Detective and Mystery Shows

zxy556575
  • Start Topic

On 11/27/2023 at 7:34 PM, Milburn Stone said:

I'm being blown away by S1 of Endeavour. Just saw the one with the clever serial homicidal maniac. Wow!

Oh, to view this series for the first time again would be wonderful. The journey through the storylines, the character arcs, the mastery of the film makers ended on such a perfect note. I still have the finale saved on my dvr. I could not have hoped for better. Enjoy the journey, Take your time. It is so worth it.

• Love 2
On 11/27/2023 at 10:34 PM, Milburn Stone said:

I'm being blown away by S1 of Endeavour. Just saw the one with the clever serial homicidal maniac. Wow!

I just watched the first episode (on PBS/Masterpiece Passport). So great! (I've never seen the series this is a prequel to. i gather it is beloved.)

• Like 1
21 hours ago, dleighg said:

I just watched the first episode (on PBS/Masterpiece Passport). So great! (I've never seen the series this is a prequel to. i gather it is beloved.)

I've never seen the beloved Inspector Morse either. Thanks for clearing up for me that Endeavour is a prequel! For some reason, I thought Endeavour was a sequel, i.e., Endeavour Morse is the son of Inspector Morse. (But since he never has mentioned having a detective father in the episodes I've seen, I guess that doesn't make much sense.) I like knowing that he's going to grow up to be a beloved detective. :)

• Like 2
1 hour ago, dleighg said:

tangent: can anyone tell me how to find this forum since it's not a "show" so it doesn't show up on my home page?)

I had this problem too, I finally just bookmarked the page so I could always find it if needed. But beyond that, if you look at the top of the page it gives you the order you need to find it:

Home

Beyond TV Shows

Other TV Talk

Genre Talk

Detective and Mystery Shows

• Like 1

Huge news...Astrid Season 3 premieres on PBS Masterpiece Walter Presents (Amazon Prime) on January 5th. Astrid is a tremendous show about a brilliant autistic woman who works in the Criminal Records division and assists the police. My favorite show in recent years. Highly recommended. 

Astrid Season 3

• Like 1
  • Useful 1
13 hours ago, dleighg said:

(tangent: can anyone tell me how to find this forum since it's not a "show" so it doesn't show up on my home page?)

I click on my name in the top right and from the drop down, select Manage Followed Content. Then on the left, click on Topics, and then Detective and Mystery Shows. For some reason it never takes me to the last unread post anymore, which is frustrating.

Edited by mledawn
Left and right are different
16 hours ago, dleighg said:

(tangent: can anyone tell me how to find this forum since it's not a "show" so it doesn't show up on my home page?)

I just follow Genre Talk which will show up on your home page.  Keep in mind though, that doing it this way will have Genre Talk showing with new content for anything new in the forums & subforums.

The above won't take you directly here but will get you close.

20 hours ago, dleighg said:

My form of surrender was to, against my will, allow email notifications for the threads I follow. I get one email a day listing new content in these threads, including Detective and Mystery Shows.

31 minutes ago, Milburn Stone said:

My form of surrender was to, against my will, allow email notifications for the threads I follow. I get one email a day listing new content in these threads, including Detective and Mystery Shows.

21 minutes ago, dleighg said:

I do get notifications (in the app); In my case I wanted to make a comment on the thread, but it hadn't been commented on in awhile. So it was a little hard to find.

Yes, I was going to say this, if you want to just make a comment, like pointing out when a show gets a new season or to rec a new show you like, it really isn't enough to just follow the thread. You need to get to the thread w/o a comment to follow or reply to.

• Like 1

I started watching The House Across the Street starring Shirley Henderson on Britbox, but didn't make it very far. The lead character and the show's whole vibe made me so uncomfortable, which I know is the point, but I just couldn't--not even for Craig Parkinson. If anyone makes it through all 4 episodes, I'd be curious to know what you think. The reviews I saw didn't seem very positive.

Finished Candice Renoir Season 8 last night. I thought this was a strong season which, of course, ended on a cliffhanger. 

On 1/2/2024 at 9:59 AM, krankydoodle said:

I started watching The House Across the Street starring Shirley Henderson on Britbox, but didn't make it very far. The lead character and the show's whole vibe made me so uncomfortable, which I know is the point, but I just couldn't--not even for Craig Parkinson. If anyone makes it through all 4 episodes, I'd be curious to know what you think. The reviews I saw didn't seem very positive.

I watched all four episodes because it was so bizarre, I was fascinated. The ending was a huge letdown. I couldn't figure out if the Shirley Henderson character was in love with the father of the murdered girl or if she was just downright crazy. Overall, I enjoyed watching it. 

• Like 1

I've been watching Miss Scarlet and the Duke on PBS and have been enjoying it. I don't usually like period pieces but there is tremendous chemistry between the leads and the production is top-notch. It revolves around the first female private detective in London and her relationship with an inspector at Scotland Yard. 

On 5/2/2023 at 7:56 PM, krankydoodle said:

I also liked this season of The Bay, but it seemed like too much was going on and some developments that would've been interesting to see play out happened off screen.

I binged all 4 seasons of The Bay so I did not run into 'a week between episodes' problem. I liked that it wasn't as drawn out as say Broadchurch, and so didn't get too far afield but I did think that the solutions involved some characters that were 'on screen' for almost literally seconds! I like trying to guess who did it but how can you even start when the person is never shown and hardly talked about? It took me a bit to recognize Joe Armstrong in the last series which was weird because it looks like his nose is starting to look more like his dad's!

I usually don't like storylines involving the lead's children but I thought both seasons 3 and 4 did a good enough job of reasons for it. (hate the ones where an adorable child of 'cop' grows up to be a depressed/druggie/runaway/troubled teen out of nowhere)

Agree with someone upthread? who said they'd refuse to let these so called Liaison officers in the house, these people feel more like/act more like spies than someone who should be helping you.

• Like 2

Acorn recently announced season renewals for several shows including My Life is Murder, Recipes for Love and Murder, and Whitstable Pearl.

Harry Wild season 3 will premieers  on May 13

• Like 1
  • Useful 2

I couldn't find anything about a release date, just that it was happening. The most recent article I saw was dated Jan 2024 and said that they were currently filming the new season, so maybe we'll get it in the fall?

• Like 1
On 3/25/2024 at 12:15 PM, abbyzenn said:

Acorn recently announced season renewals for several shows including My Life is Murder, Recipes for Love and Murder, and Whitstable Pearl.

Harry Wild season 3 will premieers  on May 13

I hope they decide to renew Mrs. Sidhu investigates.  That was my favorite Acorn series in a long time.

• Like 2

Believe it or not, just starting Morse now! As a result of seeing Endeavour, which was incredible.

Not quite as character-driven as its prequel, but the mysteries are pretty interesting, based on the first two of Series 1 that I've seen. And I love how smart Morse is. (Which is consistent with the prequel.)

I should probably try it. I absolutely loved Endeavour. I started watching episode 1 of Morse and had trouble connecting him to Endeavour. I should give it more time I guess.

On 4/14/2024 at 4:50 PM, dleighg said:

I should probably try it. I absolutely loved Endeavour. I started watching episode 1 of Morse and had trouble connecting him to Endeavour. I should give it more time I guess.

My opinion based on the first two is that trying to connect it to Endeavour will be in vain. (Except for the Oxford scenery.) I enjoyed these episodes on their own terms, though.

• Like 1
  • Useful 1
2 minutes ago, Milburn Stone said:
On 4/14/2024 at 4:50 PM, dleighg said:

My opinion based on the first two is that trying to connect it to Endeavour will be in vain. (Except for the Oxford scenery.) I enjoyed these episodes on their own terms, though.

I agree. I haven't watched the last season of Endeavour but I would say other than getting a bit of explanations for his love of opera, his car, his house and his attitude toward the Masons, they are completely different series in characterizations, plots and atmosphere. Both good in their way but, I feel, mainly disconnected.

On 8/9/2022 at 12:15 PM, TaraS1 said:

I really like Vicky McClure, so I'm always going to watch whatever she's in, but I think one season of Trigger Point was plenty for me.  The writing and a lot of the acting was subpar, IMO.  Always great to see Adrian Lester, though.

I just started Vigil with Suranne Jones last night.  It's okay so far.

Of the two I am going with the EXPO's of Trigger Point with only the first season on Peacock over the NCIS of the Scottish Police. With one episode of the first season left those cliffhangers want me to binge but the tension of bomb disposal, while not at the best of Danger UXB levels makes me want to stop and decompress.

Meanwhile I have put aside the RAF story of Vigil's second series after doing a weekly watch on the Royal Navy first season..

3 hours ago, Raja said:

Of the two I am going with the EXPO's of Trigger Point with only the first season on Peacock over the NCIS of the Scottish Police. With one episode of the first season left those cliffhangers want me to binge but the tension of bomb disposal, while not at the best of Danger UXB levels makes me want to stop and decompress.

Meanwhile I have put aside the RAF story of Vigil's second series after doing a weekly watch on the Royal Navy first season..

I watched both seasons of Vigil and hope that they make a season 3. I like Suranne Jones a lot and she has good chemistry with Rose Leslie. Conversely, I thought that Trigger Point was very mundane. I wasn't keen on it at all. However, I think that part of the problem with each show was that it was aired on Peacock. My Peacock subscription has a ton of ads so the constant interruptions really spoiled the air of suspense. 

7 hours ago, LisaM said:

Brokenwood Mysteries Season 10 returns on April 29! 

This is terrible news! Because Mrs. Stone likes the show, and that means I'll have to watch it. 😂

8 hours ago, abbyzenn said:

I can't get into Elsbeth and only watched the first episode.  I hate when you know who committed the murder and it's just a matter of the detective figuring it out.  Plus Elsbeth really got on my nerves - she's beyond quirky.

I didn't like the first episode at all and didn't watch the next one.  But surprisingly it has grown on me.  I have no idea why.