Type keyword(s) to search

Detective and Mystery Shows

zxy556575
  • Start Topic

(edited)

I was so excited to watch the French version of And Then There Were None on PBS titled They Were Ten or Ils étaient dix, but I'm on the fourth of six episodes and it's so disappointing. They've changed the time period (modern day), setting (tropical island), and the characters' occupations and backstories. That would be fine except the characters are unbearably stupid and the killer is obvious from the first episode even before we know who's who. The action on the island is also clumsily interrupted by flashbacks to the characters' past misdeeds and--even worse--scenes of two bickering cops on the mainland trying to figure out what's going on. I'll still watch to the end to see if they change that too, but this is making me appreciate the 2015 miniseries even more than I already did.

ETA: To balance out the negativity, after being lukewarm on the first episode, I'm really enjoying season 2 of Grace on Britbox. It helps that Craig Parkinson is a regular now, that guest stars include people like James D'Arcy and Arthur Darvill, and that the relationship between Grace and his second in command is genuinely very sweet. I could do without the missing wife subplot, though.

Edited by krankydoodle
On 7/6/2022 at 1:35 PM, krankydoodle said:

I was so excited to watch the French version of And Then There Were None on PBS titled They Were Ten or Ils étaient dix, but I'm on the fourth of six episodes and it's so disappointing. They've changed the time period (modern day), setting (tropical island), and the characters' occupations and backstories. That would be fine except the characters are unbearably stupid and the killer is obvious from the first episode even before we know who's who. The action on the island is also clumsily interrupted by flashbacks to the characters' past misdeeds and--even worse--scenes of two bickering cops on the mainland trying to figure out what's going on. I'll still watch to the end to see if they change that too, but this is making me appreciate the 2015 miniseries even more than I already did.

ETA: To balance out the negativity, after being lukewarm on the first episode, I'm really enjoying season 2 of Grace on Britbox. It helps that Craig Parkinson is a regular now, that guest stars include people like James D'Arcy and Arthur Darvill, and that the relationship between Grace and his second in command is genuinely very sweet. I could do without the missing wife subplot, though.

Yep, I agree. I called the killer in the first episode as well, and I continued watching in the hope that I was wrong. Sadly I was not. I now mourn the 8 hours of my life I’ll never get back.

I was on a long plane flight recently and I watched the Amazon Prime version of “Death on the Nile” with Kenneth Branagh as Poirot. I thought he’d be terrible, but he really wasn’t bad. He brought the humor a bit more than David Suchet, which I liked because in the books Poirot is supposed to be a bit ridiculous. 

I’m having a hard time figuring out what to watch next. I’ve got so many shows on deck… Annika, S25 of Silent Witness, the new season of Brokenwood, the new series of Hidden, Signora Volpe, The Sinner… can anyone help me prioritize? Or suggest shows I’m missing? 

• Like 1

I finished my binge of Trigger Point last night. It starts Vicky McClure from Line of Duty as a bomb disposal expert. It was pretty good and has already been renewed for Season 2. My main complaint is that it is on Peacock and, even with my subscription, there are tons of commercials which really interrupt the suspense of the overall story. 

Mynextmistake: of the shows you mentioned above, I've seen Annika, which I really enjoyed and remember as a pretty quick binge. I am currently watching the new season of Brokenwood as well. I also liked Murder in Provence (3 episode binge on Britbox), The Chelsea Detective (on Acorn) and Beck (on MHz Choice). 

On 7/6/2022 at 4:35 PM, krankydoodle said:

I was so excited to watch the French version of And Then There Were None on PBS titled They Were Ten or Ils étaient dix, but I'm on the fourth of six episodes and it's so disappointing. They've changed the time period (modern day), setting (tropical island), and the characters' occupations and backstories.

Several of the versions I've seen change the time period and setting. I've seen a mountain top (1965 also changed to modern day), a jungle (1989), and a desert (1974 also updated).

I really like Vicky McClure, so I'm always going to watch whatever she's in, but I think one season of Trigger Point was plenty for me.  The writing and a lot of the acting was subpar, IMO.  Always great to see Adrian Lester, though.

I just started Vigil with Suranne Jones last night.  It's okay so far.

• Love 1
On 8/9/2022 at 3:15 PM, TaraS1 said:

I really like Vicky McClure, so I'm always going to watch whatever she's in, but I think one season of Trigger Point was plenty for me.  The writing and a lot of the acting was subpar, IMO.  Always great to see Adrian Lester, though.

I just started Vigil with Suranne Jones last night.  It's okay so far.

Agree about Trigger Point. I thought the writing was just so-so. Plus - the constant commercials on Peacock broke all tension and drove me nuts. It's a shame because I was really looking forward to it. 

Really enjoyed Vigil and am looking forward to Season 2. 

ETA: Harry Wild renewed for Season 2 - per Jane Seymour on Instagram.

Edited by LisaM
  • Love 4

I just watched The Chestnut Man…..oh my, that was bizarre.  And, I’m just starting Stay Close.  Trailer looks good.  

I watched the first episode of Annika.  Why does she talk to the camera as if she’s doing a documentary?  That doesn’t seem to fit in, imo.  

I just watched River and while I liked it, I kept thinking she was Cassie character and that she got killed in car crash, not shot.  

• Like 1
3 hours ago, LisaM said:

FYI - The 3rd series of the Icelandic show, Trapped, will be on Netflix in early September. It is called Entrapped.

Finally!  I've been waiting for it. 

And the first season of Cherif is on Prime until Aug. 31. I've been wanting to watch that, was going to get a 6 month MHZ special but I waited too long and it's gone now.  So I'll wait until it comes again. But until then, I can get a head start.

Mynextmistake, have you seen Darby and Joan?  Great new series on Acorn.  4 episodes so far, and 4 more to go.  Premiered a couple of weeks ago & new episodes are aired on Mondays.  Check it out if you have not already done so.

• Like 1
  • Love 1

Just watched the first two episodes of Season 3 of McDonald and Dodds. Brilliant and eccentric Sergeant teamed up with ambitious DCI solving mysteries in Bath. Well done. 

• Like 1
  • Love 2
11 hours ago, Trudilu said:

I'm not sure how to post here; I looked up 'Chestnut Man' - I wanted to see what others thought of it! I LOVED the series.  I am looking for a similar type series to watch!  Anyone?

Let me think about it.  I have watched a lot.  Have you tried River, Happy Valley and Unforgotten? 

I just watched this one, but I can’t give it glowing praise.  I ff through some of it.  I’m now on Season 2.  This trailer is not in English, but the series on Netflix IS in English.  It’s kind of weird hearing English that doesn’t fit with their lips. Lol.  It’s about the investigation of a 15 year-old girl’s death and drug dealings.  It’s ok if you have a lot of time on your hands. It’s sort of a relaxing series, though there is action on the show.  
There are a lot of characters and at times, it’s confusing. It’s set in Luxumberg. 

Edited by SunnyBeBe
10 minutes ago, SunnyBeBe said:

This trailer is not in English, but the series on Netflix IS in English.  

It's because your Netflix is set to default to English audio.  You can change that if you'd prefer to watch in the original language with subtitles.  That's typically what I do unless it's background noise (which is how I watched).

11 hours ago, Trudilu said:

I'm not sure how to post here; I looked up 'Chestnut Man' - I wanted to see what others thought of it! I LOVED the series.  I am looking for a similar type series to watch!  Anyone?

I enjoyed it but what did you enjoy about it?  Serial killers? Nordic noir? 

I highly recommend Trapped from Iceland.  The first two seasons are on Amazon.  And "spinoff" (or third season) called Entrapped is coming out on Netflix in September.

There's also the Valhalla Murders on Netflix. Bordertown and Borderliner are also on Netflix.

Edited by Irlandesa
  • Love 2
1 hour ago, Irlandesa said:

highly recommend Trapped from Iceland. 

I enjoyed that one as well; though I started with the second season and couldn't figure out what on earth "Trapped" was supposed to refer to. Then I watched the first season where the name made a lot more sense LOL. 

On 8/30/2022 at 1:18 AM, Trudilu said:

If I remember correctly, Chestnut Man was pretty scary with some gruesome scenes. Try Bordertown (Netflix), Bron/Broen, The Killing (original version), The Valhalla Murders (Netflix), Beck. All are foreign, police dramas with good writing, good mysteries and some scary/graphic scenes. 

• Love 2
On 4/14/2022 at 2:38 PM, mledawn said:

@mynextmistake I was absolutely thrown that Neil had a wife - and then that Sarah did!? I didn't remember those key bits of info from S1 and I was like "why is she upset he's married - SO ARE YOU!?" after the first ep or two in S2. 

I'm watching DCI Banks just now and Annie drives me up the wall.

I recently watched both these shows.

I thought there was something going on between Neil and Sarah in the first season and was shocked to discover that they were both married to other people, so in the end their getting together felt a bit tainted.

I hated Annie, didn't understand what she saw in Banks and why they were allowed to work together while dating with him being her boss.

On 8/21/2022 at 10:52 PM, LisaM said:

Just watched the first two episodes of Season 3 of McDonald and Dodds. Brilliant and eccentric Sergeant teamed up with ambitious DCI solving mysteries in Bath. Well done. 

I loved this show and hope there's another season.

I liked it but it's been awhile since I watched it and don't remember too much about it.

I watched The Chestnut Man and liked it pretty well.  I’m trying to watch a 4 episode British series called Collateral.  Nicole Walker is in It, but she doesn’t play a detective. The character she does play is quite disturbing, considering her actions as a clergy in this series.    It looks quite interesting, however, there’s something unusual about the sound of the voices.  This is an English production done with mainly English speaking actors who are speaking English, however, their voices often sound dubbed in, like many of the foreign productions do.  The voice over sounds like Siri or Alexi with a flat inflection and British accent.  Lol  Have you ever seen anything like that before.  Collateral came out in 2018, but I’m not sure how long it’s been on Netflix.  I haven’t seen any other comments on it.  

Edited by SunnyBeBe

I will vouch for Bordertown. I really enjoyed Ville Virtanen as Kari, but I thought Season 3 spent way too much time on Janina. I didn't like her character at all and she was even worse in the last series. I understand she was suffering the effects of her mother's death and her father's obsession/escapism into his work, but the actress played it more like just a spoiled brat, rebellious teenager acting out in the most dangerous, extreme ways. Lena was also a difficult one to get my head around; at the end of the series, I was waiting to see if she would hook up with Kari. It seemed like she was developing feelings for him and to me, it seemed forced and out of nowhere. You can't soften up such a hard-boiled character in a couple of episodes. 

I am eager to watch the new Bordertown movie sequel on Netflix.

I just finished Trigger Point on Peacock.  I didn't care for it and was surprised that the showrunner for Line of Duty created it. It took me almost the entire series to not refer to Vicky Fleming's character as "Kate," instead of "Lana." I felt like the characters were too similar. I would really like to see Vicky in another type of role other than a cop.

As I also love Scandinavian shows, I looked and looked for Trapped on Amazon and only find a show with an Egyptian theme. 

And, "Mother of God," can we please get a Season 7 of Line of Duty!

• Love 1

Have you watched The Stranger?  That’s pretty good.  There’s actually a thread for it under Drama here.  Be careful though, cause there are a lot of spoilers.  Lots of secrets, twists, turns on that one.  

• Love 1

I just finished all eight episodes of Darby & Joan on Acorn. As some have mentioned, it's very reminiscent of Death in Paradise in terms of the types of mysteries and the scenery (although it's Australia vs. the Caribbean.) But there's definitely more emphasis on a story line that runs through the entire series, although there are separate unrelated (or tangentially related) mysteries in each episode.

• Love 1

I'm watching an older French show called Magellan on MHz Choice. Reminiscent of Midsomer Murders with a middle aged detective and his partner using brains to solve crimes in a very nice setting. Also deals with his role as single parent to two teenagers. Pleasant enough. 

Looking forward to Shetland Season 7 which should be starting very soon on Britbox. 

On 9/4/2022 at 1:03 AM, J-Man said:

The two most recent seasons/series of Silent Witness (24 and 25) are now on Britbox. S25 features the return of Amanda Burton as Sam Ryan. 

I’ve gotten into Silent Witness on Freevie, which I get due to Prime membership. The commercials are crazy though.  I think I may pay more to escape them.  Is Britbox ad free?  

I really like Silent Witness.  There are some plot holes and other issues, but overall it’s well done and really keeps my attention.  Plus, there are 20 seasons!  Lots to catch up on.  

18 hours ago, SunnyBeBe said:

Is Britbox ad free?  

Yes, and I'll tell you my little trick. I get Britbox through Prime, and if you order a lot of stuff from Amazon, and aren't in a hurry to get it, they will often give you the option of having your orders delivered at a later date in exchange for a credit (usually $1-$3) for digital purchases. And you can apply that credit to your Britbox (or any other) subscription through Amazon Prime.

• Like 1
  • Mind Blown 1
  • Applause 1
  • Useful 3
  • Love 2
34 minutes ago, J-Man said:

Yes, and I'll tell you my little trick.

That's a great tip! I should use it more.

And in my experience, things often come sooner anyway if Amazon isn't overly busy.

Edited by Irlandesa
  • Love 1
On 9/17/2022 at 9:26 PM, SunnyBeBe said:

I’ve gotten into Silent Witness on Freevie, which I get due to Prime membership. The commercials are crazy though.  I think I may pay more to escape them.  Is Britbox ad free?  

Britbox doesn't have ads. Also, some British shows on Hulu or Prime/Freevee have a few minutes cut from the episodes while Britbox has the full versions.

• Useful 1

I'm not sure if this belongs in another forum (or if it already exists elsewhere--the search function is not exactly efficient), but has anyone watched The Stranger, a limited series on Netflix bases on a Harlan Coben novel? Although it's based on an American author's book, it's strictly a British series, and stars Richard Armitage, Siobhan Finneran, and Jennifer Saunders. I'm only up to episode 2 (of 8) so far but it's got me hooked.

• Love 3
8 hours ago, J-Man said:

I'm not sure if this belongs in another forum (or if it already exists elsewhere--the search function is not exactly efficient), but has anyone watched The Stranger, a limited series on Netflix bases on a Harlan Coben novel?

There's a forum for it here: https://forums.primetimer.com/forum/4636-the-stranger/

I enjoyed the show even though there were things about it I found frustrating.

I just started watching The Light in the Hall (aka Y Golau) on AMC+ starring Joanna Scanlan, Alexandra Roach (both of No Offence fame), and Iwan Rheon. Rheon plays a man released from prison 18 years after being convicted of killing Scanlan's daughter. Roach was the victim's best friend and returns to town to write up a story about the case. I don't love the use of voiceover but it's been minimal so far and the show looks promising otherwise.

Edited by krankydoodle
  • Love 1

I enjoyed it too but that's because I think Coben's Netflix adaptions are pretty addictive.  There are a few clunkers but they're definitely "pop" mysteries propelled by twists, sudden revelations more than satisfying conclusions. Sometimes that's exactly what I'm looking for--the TV version of a page turner.  His adaptions fit the bill.  If you end up liking it, let us know.  There are other adaptions of his I'd recommend.

• Love 2

(I did a search for previous discussion about it, but nothing came up ....)

Anyone ever watch the Arne Dahl [Swedish] series?  Its over a decade old - 1.5 months from 11 years old - at least when it first debuted.   Its based off a book series by the author's nom-de-plume Arne Dahl.  Its called a TV series, but its more like a TV movie series, seeing as how each full story is about 3 hours in the first season and 2 hours in the second (& final) season.

I've watched the first full 'case' [two 1.5 hour episodes].  It was just good enough to make me wanna check out the next case to see where some things started in the first 3 hours go, but there were some things that just left me shaking my head.  Most of which was the lack of intellect that was on display.  I was honestly left wondering "these are really Sweden's six (of the) best law enforcement officers, at least in the judgement of one woman!?".

There is quite a bit of looks into the personal lives of each, but its just tiny tidbits.  This case's 'main' lead gets quite a bit of light shed on his personal life, but the rest are allowed just enough to wonder.

Like I said, I'll give it at least one more case to see where things go, but its got some improvements to make.

Edited by iRarelyWatchTV36
  • Like 1

Since it seems to be impossible to search a specific forum to see if this has been discussed already, I'm posting this here in case it hasn't already been discussed. I just finished watching Suspect, an 8-episode Britbox series starring James Nesbitt. (Not to be confused with The Suspect, another new British series starring Aidan Turner.)

It's an unusual format for this type of show: each episode is under 30 minutes and focuses on one (or two, infrequently) characters in addition to Nesbitt's. I gather that it's adapted from a Danish series.

• Like 2

Just finished Karen Pirie.  It's a Scottish detective show, 3 episodes focusing on an unsolved murder 25 years ago which received recent publicity due to a podcast so the case was reopened.  I enjoyed the mystery, there were enough suspects to keep you guessing, and of course beautiful Scottish scenery (it takes place in St. Andrews.

Watching the new season of My life is Murder.  Although I like this show, mainly due to the lead who just seems like a calming force, I don't like that too often there is only 1 or possibly 2 people who could have done it.  Someone above asked about why Madison was missing but couldn't find anything on the internet about that but she finally showed up in person in the 4th episode.

• Love 2
On 7/13/2022 at 6:25 AM, LisaM said:

I've seen Annika, which I really enjoyed

Count me as an Annika fan also. Nicola Walker does her patented subtle comedic schtick to camera and somehow does it so well that it stays fresh; I'm never saying to myself "one trick pony," I'm going "I'm here for it, baby." Even in the grimmest of all the different series I've seen her in, there's that spark of humor, her character's way of being sad without surrendering to her sadness. I'm thinking she deserves the sobriquet "comic actress," which in no way is lesser than "actress."

This show itself is self-referentially parodic; its gimmick (marine homicide) is weird and they keep acknowledging that. ("Every detective show needs a gimmick; this one is ours, deal with it.") Yet the stories are just sincere enough that you take them seriously, and the recipe of Plot A (solving the murder) plus Plot B (Annika trying to solve her life) is as finely judged as always in a Nicola Walker vehicle. Also, at 47 minutes, the episodes are just long enough. I hope it comes back for another season.

Edited by Milburn Stone
  • Like 1
7 hours ago, Milburn Stone said:

Count me as an Annika fan also. Nicola Walker does her patented subtle comedic schtick to camera and somehow does it so well that it stays fresh; I'm never saying to myself "one trick pony," I'm going "I'm here for it, baby." Even in the grimmest of all the different series I've seen her in, there's that spark of humor, her character's way of being sad without surrendering to her sadness. I'm thinking she deserves the sobriquet "comic actress," which in no way is lesser than "actress."

This show itself is self-referentially parodic; its gimmick (marine homicide) is weird and they keep acknowledging that. ("Every detective show needs a gimmick; this one is ours, deal with it.") Yet the stories are just sincere enough that you take them seriously, and the recipe of Plot A (solving the murder) plus Plot B (Annika trying to solve her life) is as finely judged as always in a Nicola Walker vehicle. Also, at 47 minutes, the episodes are just long enough. I hope it comes back for another season.

They just finished filming Season 2.

• Love 2

I finished a couple of Britbox shows this weekend - Redemption with Paula Malcomson and Sherwood with David Morrissey and a bunch of other familiar British faces. 

Redemption was pretty predictable and nothing groundbreaking, but I still enjoyed it.  I think it's the first thing I've ever seen Paula Malcomson in where I actually liked her character.  She's a fantastic actress, but I usually always hate the people she's playing.

Sherwood was great, and very different to most British crime shows.  I was really impressed with the writing, and the cast is absolutely top notch.  It's about murders in a former coal town, which is still dealing with the effects of a miner's strike from back in the 80's.  I grew up in a coal town here in the US where there was also a strike, so maybe that's why it resonated with me so much.  I'd highly recommend it.

• Like 2

Our main Chicago PBS channel just started showing both Annika and Magpie Murders last night back to back and based on just the first episodes, they look like they're both worth sticking with. Fortunately we have 4 PBS channels in our viewing area so we can do multiple viewings every week if we miss something important.

And I agree about Nicola Walker, she's always fascinating to watch. An internet friend who lives on the Caithness coast also strongly recommended the series. Looking forward to it!

Any comments or recommendations about Magpie Murders, anyone? Has that already been shown in the UK?

Edited by Hyacinth B
  • Like 1

Magpie Murders has been shown.  Highly recommend it - quite clever the way if floats between the current and the book story.  The actual book was written by the man that created Foyle's War (another show I highly recommend).  There is a forum for it under Dramas - it was started for the PBS showing so no spoilers.