Type keyword(s) to search

Detective and Mystery Shows

zxy556575
  • Start Topic

I've been watching Season 2 of Astrid on Prime Video. It is just as awesome as Season One. The protagonist is an autistic savant who works in the Criminal Records division. She uses her unique talents to assist the police in solving crimes. Unusual and very well done. 

ETA: Season 12 of Vera premieres on January 29 on Britbox. Not sure if it is a complete drop or one episode per week. 

Edited by LisaM
  • Like 1
  • Useful 2

It's old (2016) and only has one season, but I enjoyed 'New Blood' on Britbox. Not too violent or deep, but some clever plot twists and engaging leads. The only thing I didn't like was the way the show is shot, with the 'change of location or time' being signalled by loud, flash-frame shots that give it a rather dated feel.

• Love 1
On 1/22/2023 at 8:16 PM, SunnyBeBe said:

I’ve been watching a British detective series on Netflix called Paranoid.  It’s sort of old.  Well, I would not recommend it.  The premise has potential, but the writing and characters are terrible.  It’s difficult to determine which character is the most unlikable.  It’s almost laughable how the detectives behave and how they conduct the investigation.  It’s definitely the worst British drama I’ve ever seen.  Lol They do have some good actors in the cast like Lesley Sharp and Kevin Doyle.  

I love Lesley Sharp, but man has she been in some stinkers lol.  Last year, I watched a show with her called Before We Die and it was terrible, and I also tried to get through a sitcom she was in (with amazing folks like Leslie Jordan and Kim Fields) that was also bad.  We just need a resurrection of Scott & Bailey.

• Like 1
  • Useful 1
  • Love 1
4 hours ago, TaraS1 said:

I love Lesley Sharp, but man has she been in some stinkers lol.  Last year, I watched a show with her called Before We Die and it was terrible, and I also tried to get through a sitcom she was in (with amazing folks like Leslie Jordan and Kim Fields) that was also bad.  We just need a resurrection of Scott & Bailey.

Sharp was the only bright spot in Paranoid.  Her character was rather odd, but likable.  Of course, she fell for a very unlikable character.  I didn’t get it. 

• Like 1

I too really enjoyed New Blood - too bad they didn't get a second season.  Not sure why it didn't get a second season.  It has a rating of 7.3 on IDMB and most of reviews give it a 9 or 10 and the creator was Anthony Horowitz who created Foyle's War and Magpie Murders.  The leads were quite engaging and there was a bit of humor.

• Love 1

Since I subbed Paramount+ for Mayor of Kingstown, I checked out the first 3 episodes of The Chemistry of Death. It is based on a book by Simon Beckett and has the usual cluster if H!ITG! British actors. Just Watch says there are 6 episodes but both IMDB and Wikipedia only showed the 3 that have aired. It’s very similar to Hinterland imo but worth a watch if that is your thing.

If you’re looking for it on Paramount+ and having troubles, I had to search “Die Chemie Des Todes” as the English wouldn’t bring it up. Seems odd as this is a UK production and completely in English.

Edited by mledawn
  • Like 1
On 2/4/2023 at 11:48 AM, mledawn said:

If you’re looking for it on Paramount+ and having troubles, I had to search “Die Chemie Des Todes” as the English wouldn’t bring it up. Seems odd as this is a UK production and completely in English.

Interesting. I saw an advertisement for that but couldn't find it on the service. I figured it was being released in the UK and it would eventually come to the US.

On 1/24/2023 at 11:36 AM, sempervivum said:

It's old (2016) and only has one season, but I enjoyed 'New Blood' on Britbox. Not too violent or deep, but some clever plot twists and engaging leads. The only thing I didn't like was the way the show is shot, with the 'change of location or time' being signalled by loud, flash-frame shots that give it a rather dated feel.

I really liked New Blood and am bummed it didn't last longer! 

• Like 1
On 2/17/2023 at 4:32 PM, LisaM said:

Looking forward to DI Ray on Amazon Prime (PBS Masterpiece) starting next week. It stars Parminder Nagra, who I have liked since Bend it Like Beckham. 

DI Ray

The whole season will also debut on PBS Passport.

Speaking of Jed Mercurio, the second season of Bloodlands is on Acorn right now and I think it's better than the first season.

• Like 1

I am 2/3 of the way done with DI Ray on Amazon Prime (PBS Masterpiece). It's not bad (and a quick binge) although I guessed the big twist which just occurred. Filled with familiar faces: Gemma Whelan, Jamie Bamber and, of course, Parminder Nagra. It was just renewed for Season 2. 

Edited by LisaM
  • Love 1

Didn't realize that Unforgotten filmed a fifth season which ITV started showing yesterday.  Nicola Walker's replacement will take some getting used to for me and for her co-workers.

I subscribed to PBS just to watch DI Ray and was so disappointed. I remember loving Parminder Nagra in Bend it Like Beckham, but she seemed so stiff here. There were also too many things that didn't make sense.

On a more positive note, I finally checked out and enjoyed The Chelsea Detective which someone posted about here a while ago. It's just a shame that Sonita Henry apparently isn't returning as the co-lead for season 2. The relationship between her and Adrian Scarborough's character was so refreshing.

• Like 1
22 hours ago, krankydoodle said:

I subscribed to PBS just to watch DI Ray and was so disappointed. I remember loving Parminder Nagra in Bend it Like Beckham, but she seemed so stiff here. There were also too many things that didn't make sense.

On a more positive note, I finally checked out and enjoyed The Chelsea Detective which someone posted about here a while ago. It's just a shame that Sonita Henry apparently isn't returning as the co-lead for season 2. The relationship between her and Adrian Scarborough's character was so refreshing.

Agree completely on both topics.

• Like 1

I binged all 4 episodes of Holding last night on Acorn. It is set in a small Irish town near Cork. The protagonist is a local police sergeant who is confronted with the discovery of bones - likely the first murder in the town in a long time. Some of the acting was great and the story was interesting. 

Brokenwood Mysteries returns in early April as does Season 6 of Candice Renoir on Acorn. The next season of The Bay starts today or tomorrow on Britbox. I also saw that the next season of Sister Boniface is listed on Britbox as "Coming Soon". 

• Useful 1

Holding is fairly entertaining, especially the first 2 eps. It falls into soap opera territory later. 

Although I appreciate these shows with 'mature' protagonists, I had trouble telling the 2 sisters apart- why would they cast 2 overweight actors with very short grey hair? I finally figured out who was who when I realized the lesbian had the longer hair 🙂

My favorite thing was PJ's imitation of Benny Hill. Hard to believe that 37 year old Evelyn would have no idea who he was, though.

Watched the latest Grace episode - I think it's Season 3 episode 1.  I thought it was much better than the previous episodes.  This is one show where I think the books are better than the tv show.

Does anybody watch Bloodlands? I was disappointed with the ending of Season 2. Where does DCI Brannick go from there? Maybe S2 was supposed to be the conclusion of the series. I thought it was very good and I love James Nesbitt. Victoria Smurfit was also excellent as the villainess. I had never seen her in anything before and was impressed. She's also an heiress to one of the wealthiest families in Ireland.

• Like 2
On 3/28/2023 at 3:15 PM, CharlizeCat said:

Does anybody watch Bloodlands? I was disappointed with the ending of Season 2. Where does DCI Brannick go from there? Maybe S2 was supposed to be the conclusion of the series. I thought it was very good and I love James Nesbitt. Victoria Smurfit was also excellent as the villainess. I had never seen her in anything before and was impressed. She's also an heiress to one of the wealthiest families in Ireland.

I watched Season 1 and really did not like the ending. I recall that it was one of the few British shows that I did not like. 

• Like 1

I'm watching season four of The Bay and I do really like this show. However, this and other detective shows from Britain which portray the job of family liaison does make me uncomfortable. Does anyone else think that, although well intentioned, these family liaisons as portrayed are just way too intrusive and patronizing to the victims/families who have been the subject of crimes?  I mean these people are grieving and trying to process a loss or a victimization and everytime they turn around there's a cop asking them how they feel, who might have done it, does your dad always lose his temper like that?, who is your boyfriend?, do you get along with your mother? etc etc. It's just way too much. I'd go insane if, on top of everything else, I had someone from law enforcement breathing down my neck.  In the current season they have armed guards surrounding the family and basically put them on house arrest in order to 'protect them' from some nebulous kinda maybe could be a threat who really knows? but we are locking you down anyway. I think a little compassion and help is nice. A cop sitting in your house staring at you and prying into every corner of your lives in the guise of 'helping' is just over the top. I'd refuse that kind of 'help' in a heartbeat.

ETA: Also, the cops vs firemen thing was really jarring. The policemen verbally abusing and taunting the firemen on the scene was so bizarre to my ears. Who hates firemen?  Seriously. One cop told a fireman on scene to go make a calendar or words to that effect. It was so uncalled for and I found it offensive. This is the first time I've seen any firemen on a British detective show and it was just so weird, the attitude towards them. 

This show features the family liaison position but I've seen them in at least a dozen detective shows and their role seems to be exactly the same.  I was raped by a stranger and was very grateful for the detectives assigned to my case, they were amazing. But if a detective showed up and settled down on the sofa for the day, day after day, I would be 'You can go now' pretty damn fast. I'm just sayin'.

Edited by Andyourlittledog2
  • Applause 1
On 3/30/2023 at 7:44 PM, Andyourlittledog2 said:

ETA: Also, the cops vs firemen thing was really jarring. The policemen verbally abusing and taunting the firemen on the scene was so bizarre to my ears. Who hates firemen? 

It is an ongoing thing between various emergency response workers.

Police and paramedics chirp firefighters that all they do is rescue cats and sit around, and thus are overpaid for 7 days of work a month.

Paramedics and firefighters chirp that cops are crooked, domestic abusers.

Where I live in Canada there are provincial police and regional/city police. The regional/city police chirp the provincial police that all they do all day is sit around write speeding tickets. 

I don’t actually know what the chirps are about paramedics… Ambulance drivers?

I’m so sorry about your rape but I am glad you received support from the police. 

On 3/28/2023 at 2:15 PM, CharlizeCat said:

Does anybody watch Bloodlands? I was disappointed with the ending of Season 2.

I thought Season 2 was better and more tense than Season 1 but you ask good questions.  I almost think the second should have been the end or the third should be.

Second season of Sister Boniface premiered on Britbox. It was just okay.

I read that another season of Mallorca Files is in the works. Looking forward to that. 

I'm watching the new season of The Bay but the continuing nature of the storyline is done no favors by having only one episode each week. It's difficult to remember all of the threads when there is a week in between shows (or perhaps I am getting old!). 

• Like 1
3 hours ago, LisaM said:

I read that another season of Mallorca Files is in the works. Looking forward to that. 

Oh I thought that had been canceled since it had been so long since there were new episodes.  I didn't love the first season but I really enjoyed the second and was looking forward to more.

Just watched the last episode of The Spencer Sisters.  I'd put it in the vain of Madame Blanc - fairly lighthearted and an interesting cast of secondary characters.  The first episode was the least interesting one. I found the mother a bit annoying but not enough to make me stop watching.  The show does have its own forum under "other dramas"

• Useful 1

While waiting for the new episodes of some of my current "regulars" to show up, I went back and started watching "Murder City" (2004; two seasons) starring Kris Marshall ("Death in Paradise") and Amanda Donohoe ("LA Law.") It also features a young Laura Main ("Call the Midwife" as a regular.

Anyway, I enjoyed the first episode, but apparently it's only available via Filmrise on ad-supported platforms like the Roku Channel, Crackle, Plex, etc. And there are SO many commercials! Usually in blocks of SEVEN. Does anyone know if there's another way to watch this with fewer (or NO) commercials? I was hoping it might show up on Hoopla or Kanopy, but no such luck.

Edited by J-Man

Watched the first two episodes of this season of Dalgleish. I really like the relationship between Dalgleish and his DS, Kate. This was a good two-part episode but, for me, the killer was evident from the start due to the actor who was cast. 

• Like 1
On 4/25/2023 at 9:03 PM, J-Man said:

While waiting for the new episodes of some of my current "regulars" to show up, I went back and started watching "Murder City" (2004; two seasons) starring Kris Marshall ("Death in Paradise") and Amanda Donohoe ("LA Law.") It also features a young Laura Main ("Call the Midwife" as a regular.

Anyway, I enjoyed the first episode, but apparently it's only available via Filmrise on ad-supported platforms like the Roku Channel, Crackle, Plex, etc. And there are SO many commercials! Usually in blocks of SEVEN. Does anyone know if there's another way to watch this with fewer (or NO) commercials? I was hoping it might show up on Hoopla or Kanopy, but no such luck.

https://www.justwatch.com/us/tv-show/murder-city

Doesn't look like any commercial-free options, but maybe try Freevee instead of Roku? Their ads tend to be quicker.

• Like 1

Don't know if these have been mentioned, but our love for Shetland has sent us over the last few months into our own Doug Henshall Festival. We've watched In Plain Sight (also featuring a fantastic performance by Martin Compson), Collision, and The Silence, and all of them have been awesome (and he's been awesome in them).

In all of them he's played a detective but his performances have been anything but cookie-cutter. We just finished The Silence last night and were blown away by his sensitivity.

He must be drawn to detective roles, or show runners are drawn to him when they're casting a detective. Has he done dramas in which he's not a detective?  Or comedies?

Finished latest season of The Bay. It was okay but suffered by having Britbox drop only one episode per week. 

I think there is too much focus on the children of the lead character. If there is another season, I hope that they tone that part down. 

• Like 1
On 4/27/2023 at 8:09 AM, Milburn Stone said:

He must be drawn to detective roles, or show runners are drawn to him when they're casting a detective. Has he done dramas in which he's not a detective?  Or comedies?

I remember Henshall being on the sci-fi action show Primeval where he was a professor investigating strange phenomena or something, so still in the same vein I guess.

I'm enjoying Dalgleish more this season, but wish they spent more time fleshing out the title character. 

I also liked this season of The Bay, but it seemed like too much was going on and some developments that would've been interesting to see play out happened off screen.

Grace is still just ok. The ongoing drama about his missing wife is tedious. And while the season 2 actor is fine, I would've preferred to have James D'Arcy return as the new boss.

• Useful 1

Add me to the list of people who really dig/dug Sherwood. The first episode was a bit confusing, with a lot of characters, and two different mining unions, and trying to figure out who was retired from one and who was retired from the other, but sure enough when we watched the second episode we could not stop and had to "mini-binge" right to the third.

• Like 1

I'm sure I read the books but so long ago I don't remember. I didn't recall the romantic longing of Miskin, but I kind of liked it here. I felt so sorry for her in the immediate aftermath of her shooting someone. 

• Like 1

Two episodes into Magpie Murders because we're on a Lesley Manville jag. (And also because writer Anthony Horowitz can usually be counted on.) So far, liking all the stuff in the present day significantly more than the parallel stuff happening in the Atticus Pünd novel. Hoping the present day comes to predominate.