Type keyword(s) to search

Detective and Mystery Shows

zxy556575
  • Start Topic

I signed up for a free trial of PBS Masterpiece just so I could binge Annika. I'm not sure breaking the fourth wall really added anything to the show, but I love Nicola Walker, so it didn't bother me. 

It was all fairly predictable, including the end of the final episode, but still enjoyable.  Plus I thought the cast around Nicola was good, particularly the other officers on her team.  (But I will never, ever be able to see Kate Dickie as anyone except the very creepy Lysa Arryn from Game of Thrones lol.) I hope it gets picked up for S2.

I just started Before We Die (also on PBS Masterpiece) with Lesley Sharp and liked the first episode enough to continue.  I adored her on Scott & Bailey, so I'm sure I'll finish it.

• Love 2
(edited)
On 5/4/2022 at 1:30 PM, J-Man said:

Have we ever discussed Silent Witness?

Silent Witness, like New Tricks, is one of those shows that inexplicably has scenes cut on some platforms. BritBox seems to have the full episodes. I read that Amanda Burton is coming back as Sam Ryan for the newest season, which I'm not excited about since I often find her kind of irritating.

Edited by krankydoodle

I watched the first two episodes of Harry wild today.  So far, I think I like it.  Each episode is a self-contained mystery so far.  The mysteries have been rather meh because they're not traditional whodunnits where we get tons of suspects and guess who committed the crime.  It's mostly the deduction that there has been a crime. 

But Jane Seymour is awesome as the retiree who dates younger men, drinks a bit and is kind of brazen.  There was something she said to her son and daughter-in-law in the second episode that made me gasp.

I really enjoyed it. Jane Seymour and Rohan Nedd have great chemistry. And Kevin Ryan is also fun as her exasperated detective son. Jane is clearly having a great time with the role. Hope it gets renewed.

• Love 3

I've also subscribed to the pay version of MHZ, and my new nightly show is The Art of Crime.  I really  enjoy having a show that deals with art every week, and I get to see how much of my high school French I can still remember.  I like all the characters/actors though my favorite is Florence's eccentric and cranky art-expert father.  I hope they keep finding reasons to keep him around.

The stories have been decent I think in that I don't generally guess what's going to happen ahead of time.  I have to say though that the first 2-parter of Season 2 with its subplot with the beautiful, compulsive thief - felt at one point like something out of Leverage.   She even was blonde like Parker!

15 hours ago, roseha said:

I've also subscribed to the pay version of MHZ, and my new nightly show is The Art of Crime.  I really  enjoy having a show that deals with art every week, and I get to see how much of my high school French I can still remember.  I like all the characters/actors though my favorite is Florence's eccentric and cranky art-expert father.  I hope they keep finding reasons to keep him around.

The stories have been decent I think in that I don't generally guess what's going to happen ahead of time.  I have to say though that the first 2-parter of Season 2 with its subplot with the beautiful, compulsive thief - felt at one point like something out of Leverage.   She even was blonde like Parker!

I watched the first episode of The Art of Crime and really liked it. I'll pick up the rest of it once I am finished with Tandem and Beck. 

• Love 1
On 5/10/2022 at 10:59 AM, krankydoodle said:

Silent Witness, like New Tricks, is one of those shows that inexplicably has scenes cut on some platforms. BritBox seems to have the full episodes. I read that Amanda Burton is coming back as Sam Ryan for the newest season, which I'm not excited about since I often find her kind of irritating.

When I first started watching Silent Witness, I did not enjoy it, due to the Sam Ryan character. Someone suggested I start with a later season, with the new team. I did, and I've enjoyed the show, for the most part, since then. It will be interesting to see what happens when Sam Ryan returns.

• Love 1

Update on The Art of Crime, I just watched Season 2's Two Parter A Wounded Man.  Excellent episode but -- warning, don't turn it off until you see the credits.

I watched the first episode of Alexandra Ehle on MHz Choice: quirky genius pathologist surrounded by a team of colorful sidekicks. I'd watch a second episode. 

In the middle of second season of Beck, which I am enjoying a lot. A bit dark for me but not terribly gruesome. Lots of interesting relationships among the team members. Season 8 is about to premiere. 

I watched the first series of London Kills on Acorn and...it passed the time. I'm not sure what wasn't wholly appealing but it didn't rope me in like others have. I plan on watching the second series just because. 

I liked seeing Sharon Small, and it took me a while to figure out where I knew her from but of course she was Barbara Havers in the Inspector Lynley series. Obviously she's been in tonnes, but that's what stuck out in my mind anyway.

A new third series of London Kills is apparently being released in June in the US.

• Love 1

I got my Acorn back to catch up on new shows and seasons. I really liked The Chelsea Detective. Not feeling Harry Wild.

I watch a lot of British and US cop/detective shows. I find it interesting how they deal with crime scenes. The Brit detectives are fully covered from head to toe in protective suits while you're lucky to see a detective over here wearing a pair of gloves before touching stuff. And the no guns thing is really interesting.

• Love 4
(edited)

On a whim I googled "Dalgeish Season 2" and saw that Acorn had confirmed a renewal and filming is to start in June. 
https://premieredate.news/tv-series/7839-dalgliesh.html

That website is incredibly informative, also - you can see shows by network/service. I checked Acorn and Britbox and learned about this gem with Damian Lewis and Guy Pierce called A Spy Among Friends.
https://premieredate.news/tv-series/8048-a-spy-among-friends.html

Edited by mledawn
  • Useful 1
  • Love 2

I finished The Art of Crime on MHZ, at any rate the 5 seasons they are showing.  Apparently there is at least another season planned.  Those who can't stand "will they or won't they" may get turned off, but I enjoyed the episodes with their artist based themes overall (however the Egyptian episode was pretty weak to me, though it did somewhat address the story of Florence's mother).  The final episode of Season 5 was really excellent, involving a victim who left clues based on color codes corresponding to parts of paintings of Delacroix, and a young boy with an amazing memory.

I've gone on to Capitaine Marleau, an MHZ series also from France about an eccentric woman detective.   I've seen the first two episodes and they were good 90 minute stories with fine casts including some well known French stars.

• Love 1

I've been watching Beck on MHz Choice. It is a dark Swedish police drama which has had 8 seasons so far - over the course of 25 years. There have been cast changes throughout the years but the quality of the series has not faltered. Quite addicting. It is dark - which I do not usually like - but the characters have been so compelling that I keep watching. Highly recommended. It may be available on other streaming services too. 

• Love 1

Seeing the posts about MHZ choice remind me of how much I used to watch that station back when MHZ was free and it had International Mystery every night at 9.    Overall I liked the Swedish shows the best but my very favorite show was a French one (about the only French one I liked actually) called Blood on the Vine.  The lead guy is a wine expert and goes to different vineyards around France to help the owners with their growing problems (bugs, soil issues, etc) so it's beautiful scenery and good mysteries (every vineyard he goes to ends up having a murder).  

• Love 2
6 minutes ago, LGraves65 said:

I watch London Kills because ... why not ... but it is so weird.  Dude's wife is found after being missing and in the 3rd season, not one mention?  Not even in passing?  

Totally forgot about that.

4 hours ago, LGraves65 said:

I watch London Kills because ... why not ... but it is so weird.  Dude's wife is found after being missing and in the 3rd season, not one mention?  Not even in passing?  

I started watching Season 3 tonight. I remember it being ... better? It's okay but nothing special. 

• Love 1
On 6/1/2022 at 2:09 PM, Irlandesa said:

Another season of Paris Murders comes out on Friday.

I just started watching this and find the Chloe character (maybe it is the actress) irritating. 

• Love 1
3 hours ago, Enigma X said:

I just started watching this and find the Chloe character (maybe it is the actress) irritating. 

She kind of can be.  The French seem to like their brilliant female detectives a bit flighty.  I found Candice Renoir to be a bit much too. 

Season 4 has a new female lead detective--although some of the cases feel a bit darker than previous seasons even though they are keeping the more light hearted tone.

• Love 1

I have only seen a few episodes of Candace Renoir, but I don't think it was because I hated it. I don't remember what I felt. I will try it again after finishing the Paris Murders.

I like the Paris Murders, but it seems to me that they've made the Chloe character overly "precious." I am not sure if that makes sense, but it is the best that I can describe it.

• Love 1

It makes sense but I do like her fashion sense.

Don't get me wrong, I do love Candice Renoir.  It's that she can be a bit cutesy as well.

On 6/9/2022 at 6:23 PM, LisaM said:

I started watching Season 3 tonight. I remember it being ... better? It's okay but nothing special. 

I haven't started watching Season 3 yet.  Season 1 was kind of meh for me.  I liked Season 2 of London Kills more. 

But I do find it hilarious that it seems like they didn't follow up on where they left off last season--not that I loved that twist but still.  Amusing.

• Love 1

Started Season 3 of London Kills and yeah...not sure where the DI’s wife has gone? 

I just saw an ad on Acorn that the new Brokenwood Mysteries series airs July 1. I think they go week to week on this show if I recall correctly (and I may not).

Just started the Martin Freeman show on Britbox The Responder. So far so good - Martin’s accent is slightly distracting but I am willing to set that aside. It has only done a bit of place setting so far so I reserve judgement at this point.

• Useful 1
  • Love 1

So much frustration with S3 London Kills but one more ep to go.

Spoiler

Why did they not further question the police officer who just happened to be on scene when the brother with learning difficulties died?

Why did they not check CCTV for where Vivian and Mulgrave went on their walk. They could have traced which police vehicle stopped at the end of the walkway and who was assigned to it. 

• Love 1
On 6/15/2022 at 1:37 PM, mledawn said:

I just saw an ad on Acorn that the new Brokenwood Mysteries series airs July 1. I think they go week to week on this show if I recall correctly (and I may not).

Great news, thanks!

• Like 1
  • Love 1
(edited)
On 6/17/2022 at 12:57 PM, mledawn said:

My reaction to the final episode of London Kills S3: Oh, FFS

I could not get past episode 1 of S3. 

ETA: Started Tatort: Weimar on MHz Choice. Rather light-hearted cop show with male and female detective leads. Part of the very long-running German Tatort series. (There are numerous other ones on this streamer.) 

Cannot wait for the return of Brokenwood. 

Edited by LisaM
  • Useful 1

Haven't seen anything about this series, but I'm enjoying 'Redemption' on Britbox. Excellent acting, notably Paula Malcomson, and nicely twisty plot so far. Accents (set in Dublin) aren't totally impenetrable. I normally detest the 'family drama' stuff, but this one keeps it pretty restrained.

• Like 1
  • Love 4
Just now, sempervivum said:

Haven't seen anything about this series, but I'm enjoying 'Redemption' on Britbox. Excellent acting, notably Paula Malcomson, and nicely twisty plot so far. Accents (set in Dublin) aren't totally impenetrable. I normally detest the 'family drama' stuff, but this one keeps it pretty restrained.

I started watching last night and really like it.

• Like 1

Just finished watching three seasons of London Kills but it just doesn't do anything for me. Something about it is just missing.

I will say the first season I found the blonde detective's hair a tragedy. What was that? Messy fried bleach blonde updo on a London detective? It just seemed so completely out of sync.

I also didn't like the lighting for the series. It was too bright, like tons of natural sunlight and no television lighting outdoors. It was just weird. 

I love Hidden, a Welsh detective show. But season three, just released, has no closed caption for those of us who find Welsh accents problematic and/or having hearing issues anyway. I had to stop trying after episode two. I don't know if they are fixing it (they did with the last season of Shetland after a short while) but it had the cc option yesterday and after lots of review complaints they seem to have taken the cc option off the menu. Hopefully that means they are fixing it and not that they are simply removing it as an option forever.

• Like 2
4 hours ago, Andyourlittledog2 said:

I love Hidden, a Welsh detective show. But season three, just released, has no closed caption for those of us who find Welsh accents problematic and/or having hearing issues anyway.

Thanks for the heads up. I watch everything (especially British stuff) with CC and that's really important to me. I hope they fix it.

• Like 1
  • Love 3

I just started season 3 of Hidden and the closed captions are working ok.

Can anyone remind me of why Cady and Beth are selling their house? I'm terrible at remembering once time has passed. Are they sisters and this is an inherited home?

• Like 1
3 hours ago, dleighg said:

I just started season 3 of Hidden and the closed captions are working ok.

Can anyone remind me of why Cady and Beth are selling their house? I'm terrible at remembering once time has passed. Are they sisters and this is an inherited home?

I'll have to try it again today.  Like I said, they fixed Shetland so fingers crossed.

Yes, they are sisters and their father died. They were living in the home (or one of them was, maybe Cady?, and they had issues about Cady not being there to help with dad, etc. So now in season three he's passed and they are packing things up. And as usual Cady is not around to help much so there's rancor. That's what I remember from season one and two anyway and what I could glean from the first two episodes of season three before I gave up with no CC.

• Love 2
(edited)

It is Sunday and I checked and they have fixed the subtitles on Hidden. For those of you who care about these things. Apparently complaining in reviews works. Thank goodness.

I started watching Redemption on Britbox. So far (ep 3) I like it. It's kinda complicated, a detective/family drama from Ireland.

And I finished watching Barking Murders (also on Britbox) and found it definitely worth the watch. This one is a true case (scripted for TV) about a serial killer in London who targeted young gay men and how he got away with it because the Metro police based in Barking (a section of London I presume) completely botched investigating from start to finish and simply didn't seem to care about the victims or their families.  It's a three episode limited series. The killer is very odd looking and acting, (like something out of Dickens) so don't let the picture they use for the 'cover' put you off. It looks weird and cheap but the actual series is not. The killer though is super weird.

Edited by Andyourlittledog2
  • Love 1

Watching Season 2 of Capitaine Marleau on MHZ, there was an entertaining episode (Sang et lumière or Blood and Light) guest starring David Suchet as a retired Scotland Yard detective who offers to help Marleau when the journalist wife of a small town mayor goes missing.

Marleau seems to get reassigned to a different town in every episode!  I am not sure if this was ever explained in the beginning but I guess it keeps the variety in the scenery and the guest casts going.

• Useful 1

I'm watching Tatort Weimar on MHz. 2 German married detectives - some good comedic overtones and decent mysteries. Also watching Imma Tataranni, an Italian series whose main character is a deputy prosecutor. She is a force of nature who solves crimes while dealing with her teenage daughter and husband. 

• Useful 1
15 hours ago, LisaM said:

Also watching Imma Tataranni, an Italian series whose main character is a deputy prosecutor. She is a force of nature who solves crimes while dealing with her teenage daughter and husband. 

I've watched the first two episodes of Imma Tataranni on Amazon Prime Video and hope to see a few more before the show leaves that platform.  I may have to try MHz later, as it also carries the Montalbano series that I've wanted to see.

The actress who plays Imma, Vanessa Scalera, reminds me of Frances McDormand: strong and no-nonsense, not conventionally beautiful but she commands your attention. I also like that the series is set in the far south of Italy, a region (Basilicata) that is lesser known to tourists, though I'd definitely like to visit one day.  This article provides a nice overview of the series and of the area.  

• Love 1

Whew! I just finished watching 23 seasons of Silent Witness. (Seasons 24 and beyond are not yet available on Britbox--only for purchase on Amazon Prime.) Now I can finally catch up on some of the other shows I've been letting slide during this marathon.

• Love 2
22 hours ago, Andyourlittledog2 said:

It is Sunday and I checked and they have fixed the subtitles on Hidden. For those of you who care about these things. Apparently complaining in reviews works. Thank goodness.

I started watching Redemption on Britbox. So far (ep 3) I like it. It's kinda complicated, a detective/family drama from Ireland.

And I finished watching Barking Murders (also on Britbox) and found it definitely worth the watch. This one is a true case (scripted for TV) about a serial killer in London who targeted young gay men and how he got away with it because the Metro police based in Barking (a section of London I presume) completely botched investigating from start to finish and simply didn't seem to care about the victims or their families.  It's a three episode limited series. The killer is very odd looking and acting, (like something out of Dickens) so don't let the picture they use for the 'cover' put you off. It looks weird and cheap but the actual series is not. The killer though is super weird.

I very much enjoyed Redemption. I haven't been ready to watch Barking Murders. 

• Love 1
(edited)
1 hour ago, MMEButterfly said:

I very much enjoyed Redemption. I haven't been ready to watch Barking Murders. 

Barking Murders sounds terrible but you don't actually see any murders or anything gross or bad. The worst thing you actually see is the killer himself - he is seriously strange looking and talking. I loved the victims and their families overall. The police were impossible.

I did have to laugh. The same woman walking her dog discovered two of the victims during her walk.  Two different victims on two different days in the same exact place. If it was me I think finding one body would make me rethink my dog-walking route. Two of them?  Nope.

Edited by Andyourlittledog2
  • Love 1
19 minutes ago, Andyourlittledog2 said:

Barking Murders sounds terrible but you don't actually see any murders or anything gross or bad. The worst thing you actually see is the killer himself - he is seriously strange looking and talking. I loved the victims and their families overall. The police were impossible.

I did have to laugh. The same woman walking her dog discovered two of the victims during her walk.  Two different victims on two different days in the same exact place. If it was me I think finding one body would make me rethink my dog-walking route. Two of them?  Nope.

Okay, now I'll watch it. 

• Love 1
On 6/26/2022 at 9:38 PM, Andyourlittledog2 said:

I believe captions are a requirement by the CRTC (in Canada) and the ADA (in the US), so these services know when they’re non-compliant. It’s too bad it seems the complaints are what have sorted things.

• Like 1
  • Love 1
(edited)

With respect to The Barking Murders, which I just finished--it's somewhat challenging to research it since it appears the title of the series has been changed to Four Lives. Some of the tracking services cannot locate it under the original title. IMDB also has it under the new title. 

Also, as of right now the credits on IMDB are incomplete. Watching the last episode, I was POSITIVE that one of the minor roles in episode 3 was being played by James Bradshaw (the medical examiner on Endeavour.) But he was not listed in the IMDB credits. My identification was validated when the closing credits of Four Lives were displayed. 

Edited by J-Man
  • Useful 1
On 6/15/2022 at 12:37 PM, mledawn said:

10 hours ago, Irlandesa said:

Ooh, a new episode of Brokenwood Mysteries came out today.  They must have dropped it early because of the 4th of July.

Not early, on time according to ad.

• Useful 1

On July 8, Trigger Point, starring Vicky McClure from Line of Duty, premieres on Peacock. Per their description: "A tenacious explosives officer in London must come to terms with the loss of her right-hand man all while preventing the next tragedy". I was trying to find out where this would stream in the US and tripped over the trailer. 

Also - watched the new episode of Brokenwood Mysteries last night. Just as good as always but missing Mrs. Marlowe.