Type keyword(s) to search

Detective and Mystery Shows

zxy556575
  • Start Topic

Started watching Sherwood on Britbox. Lot of familiar faces - including my favorite from New Tricks - Alun Armstrong. Started slow but is improving now that the murder has occurred. Takes place in a town many years after a divisive miners' strike. 

• Useful 1
  • Love 1
On 10/18/2022 at 9:08 AM, abbyzenn said:

Magpie Murders has been shown.  Highly recommend it - quite clever the way if floats between the current and the book story.  The actual book was written by the man that created Foyle's War (another show I highly recommend).  There is a forum for it under Dramas - it was started for the PBS showing so no spoilers.

Thanks so much for the information and the recommendation. So far, neither show has disappointed and both are on our Sunday night "go to" list.

I found the Magpie Murders discussion and as a bonus, found the Annika discussion as well. Off to do some catching-up!

Here's the link to the Other Dramas sub-forum if anyone else is interested:

https://forums.primetimer.com/forum/4355-other-dramas/

• Useful 1

I watched Sherwood and Karen Pirie on Britbox and can recommend both. Sherwood is fully of well-known British actors; interesting story about a murder tied to historical mining strike. Karen Pirie is based on a series of books about a cold case detective. 

• Like 1

I've only watched the first 2 episodes of Karen Pirie, but I also liked it. 

According to the internet, this is set in Fife, Scotland.  I've also been watching Annika on PBS, which is set in Glasgow (which is about 40 miles from Fife). It struck me as odd that Karen's office seemed to be wall-to-wall men in suits, yet Annika's Glasgow police force is very diverse, and everyone is dressed like they just rolled out of bed! 

• Like 1
  • LOL 1

I finished Karen Pirie and I liked it for the most part except for

Spoiler

the part where it was revealed the daughter, who didn't even know her mother, was going after the men suspected to have killed her.

A new season of The Paris Murders comes out tomorrow.  I wish Acorn would announce a new season of Candice Renoir.

• Like 2

I just finished Karen Pirie and really enjoyed it. The actress who played Karen did a really fine job with the role and "coming into her own" against her own insecurity, as well as some skepticism by her colleagues. The two male supporting characters (Phil and Mint) were good as well. The bit ^ mentioned above didn't really bother me. Who knows how someone might feel in that circumstance. 

I'm working on Grace right now, but the way it's set up on Britbox (through Amazon Prime) is confusing. They have the second season's episodes listed twice, and even though S3E1 is supposed to be available, it's not showing up yet.

On 11/7/2022 at 5:47 PM, LisaM said:

Sherwood is fully of well-known British actors; interesting story about a murder tied to historical mining strike. 

My goodness, IMDB got a workout for me on this show! (I'm terrible at remembering where I've seen someone, other than "I've seen him somewhere"). I really liked it, and also found myself googling all sorts of things from the historical period..

• Love 1
On 7/5/2020 at 8:54 PM, Irlandesa said:

The third season of Bordertown was announced to be its last so it sounds like it ended as it planned to. 

I liked season 1 of Marcella but at the same time, it didn't feel quite in control of its crazy and I was afraid that the second and third series would go off the rails so I've been hesitating on it. 

I'm watching Giri/Haji on Netflix (not really a mystery show--more about a Japanese gang war taking place in Tokyo and London but it has an intriguing style so I do recommend it) but Deadwind is my next plan.  For more light hearted fare, I started watching a show called The Sommerdahl Murders from Denmark on Acorn.  It's Scandanavian but without the noir elementy.  It takes place in a sunny seaside town. 

Do you mean The Tunnel?  It's the British/French version of The Bridge and I enjoyed it as well. 

Did you watch Season 3 of Bordertown?  I recently discovered it and am midway through season 2.  

1 hour ago, Irlandesa said:

Yes.  And there's even a Bordertown movie after that third season.

Oh, good to know.  I rather like it, though I think they drop the ball on some things.  A better tech consultant might have helped.  And, I’m not sure why they have to make another unlikable teen girl. Cari’s daughter is insufferable.  She seems to thrive on being rude.  And, I’ve never heard of a young woman discuss her sex like with her dad so much. 

In season 2, do you recall how the attorney abused as a child at the daycare was connected to the guy who worked in the hospital and raped the abuser as an adult.  I watched it twice and couldn’t see how they connected.  The hospital worker appeared a lot younger than the attorney.  

Edited by SunnyBeBe
  • Love 1
7 minutes ago, SunnyBeBe said:

In season 2, do you recall how the attorney abused as a child at the daycare was connected to the guy who worked in the hospital and raped the abuser as an adult.  I watched it twice and couldn’t see how they connected.  The hospital worker appeared a lot younger than the attorney.

Sorry.  Too long ago.  They mysteries could get mushy.

• Love 2

I watched Bordertown this year, but I can't specifically remember the case from Season 2.

I liked Ville Virtanen and the actress who played Paulina, but the rest, meh. 

This show should have ended after Season 2. Season 3 was a stretch at best. There was way too much focus on Janina, who I couldn't stand. When she was first introduced, I thought she was supposed to represent the product of "modern Scandinavian" parenting -- a feminist who had open communication with her parents --  but she was just a nosy, spoiled brat. I didn't understand the weird video/sex/punishment game she was playing with that guy. I never knew if he was her boyfriend, or just an unfortunate fellow student.

I think the writers tried to paint it that Janina was acting out in grief, but I wasn't buying it. I liked Tatia (sp?) much better. There were more layers to her character and the actress was much better than the one who played Janina. Also, I didn't need the extra promo for Janina's portrayer's singing. Lena came across as a stereotypical hard-boiled female copy railing against the system.

I knew it was over end Season 3 when it was growing obvious that Lena was developing the feels for Kari. The swerve from hell on wheels to growing mushy for her partner was too OTT. 

I haven't watched the Bordertown movie yet, but thought it would be fun to view over the Christmas-New Year's break. 

• Useful 1
  • Love 1

I have quite a few questions.  I wish there was an episode thread, but, it so old, I guess it wouldn’t be active.  I couldn’t find one anywhere.  Like how were those two nice guys bullies to the sniper killer lady (Vera)?  One dated Cari’s daughter.  The other young guy seemed like an anti bully.  It seemed like a lot of holes.  

Edited by SunnyBeBe
12 hours ago, LisaM said:

I watched the first episode of the second season of Whitstable Pearl tonight. It was better than the first season's shows.

I watched the first two episodes and agree. I was also struck by how much I enjoy the two lead actors. 
It’s only slightly distracting that Fergus (Harry Wild) and Charlie (Whitstable Pearl) are the same guy.

Edited by mledawn
Correction of character name
  • Love 1
On 7/13/2022 at 4:07 AM, mynextmistake said:

I’m having a hard time figuring out what to watch next. I’ve got so many shows on deck… Annika, S25 of Silent Witness, the new season of Brokenwood...

Just wanted to thank you for turning me on to Brokenwood with this mention. We are in the middle of Season 4 now and have greatly enjoyed it. We love the characters!

• Like 1
  • Love 1
6 hours ago, J-Man said:

There's a talk show on Acorn called In Conversation that features three of Acorn's sleuths: Adrian Scarborough (Chelsea Detective), Kerry Godliman (Whitstable Pearl), and Neil Dudgeon (Midsomer Murders.)

I watched this last week. Interesting, 

13 hours ago, roseha said:

Can anyone think of a show on Acorn or Britbox similar to Brokenwood?  Maybe with a good mix of drama and some humor, good characters, not too violent?  Thanks

I would say My Life is Murder is in the same vein… not to heavy. 

• Love 1
23 hours ago, roseha said:

Can anyone think of a show on Acorn or Britbox similar to Brokenwood?  Maybe with a good mix of drama and some humor, good characters, not too violent?  Thanks

Miss Fisher, Candice Renoir, Queens of Mystery,  Chelsea Detective,  Vera, Karen Pirie, Mcdonald and Dodds, Mallorca Files,  Murdoch Mysteries, Frankie Drake Mysteries. (I'm sure I can think of some others.)

• Useful 1

Watched the third and fourth eps of Whitstable Pearl and am largely without criticism. I hope they get another season. Apparently there are seven books in the series on which they've based the television show and only used two.

• Like 1
  • Love 2
On 11/23/2022 at 3:01 PM, LisaM said:

I posted this in the Shetland thread:

Ashley Jensen (Agatha Raisin) taking over as head of the unit. 

https://thekillingtimestv.wordpress.com/2022/11/23/shetland-ashley-jensen-confirmed-as-douglas-henshalls-replacement/

Oh wow, I hadn't heard this!  Seems like an unexpected choice IMO, but I'll definitely give it a go when it comes out.

I started Jonathan Creek a few days ago because I've seen so many people recommend it over the years and I finally decided to try it.  Bit more dated than I prefer, but Alan Davies is just so likeable!  

• Love 2
On 12/6/2022 at 8:58 PM, mledawn said:

Watched the third and fourth eps of Whitstable Pearl and am largely without criticism. I hope they get another season. Apparently there are seven books in the series on which they've based the television show and only used two.

I was not a big fan of Season 1 but I've found Season 2 to be considerably better. The 23rd season of Midsomer Murders drops this week. 

• Love 1
18 hours ago, LisaM said:

I was not a big fan of Season 1 but I've found Season 2 to be considerably better. . 

I only watched the first episode of Season 1 Whitstable Pearl and didn't care for it. I was thinking of giving it another go.  Could I just jump straight to Season 2 or would that be too confusing? 

• Like 1
7 hours ago, khyber said:

I only watched the first episode of Season 1 Whitstable Pearl and didn't care for it. I was thinking of giving it another go.  Could I just jump straight to Season 2 or would that be too confusing? 

I think that you would be fine. The beginning of the first episode of S2 sets out where the characters are now. 

• Like 2
  • Useful 1

Season 2 of Astrid premieres on Prime Video (PBS Channel) on January 20. I've been waiting for this for ages. Fabulous show about an autistic woman who works in the police records department and helps the detectives to solve crimes. Season 1 was great. 

• Applause 2
2 hours ago, iRarelyWatchTV36 said:

Wasn't even aware until checked a site about TV shows to count seasons/episodes for it, but Silent Witness S26 starts in 5 nights on BBC One.

Do we have any idea when it will show up on Britbox?

I watched all of Magpie Murders over the past week. Very well done and highly recommended. The story is about a book editor who searches for the missing last chapter of her best-selling author's final book. (The book - by Anthony Horowitz of Foyle's War fame - was excellent.) It's on Prime Video and there is a section here dedicated to it. 

Season 3 of Luna and Sophie dropped yesterday on Prime Video. It is a German detective show (with subtitles) spotlighting two female best friends who are part of a small detective squad. Emphasis is more on the relationships between the characters and less on gory murder scenes. 

I just marathoned Woman Of The Dead on Netflix and it’s AWESOME!  It’s based on the novel, which I haven’t read.  It’s filmed in Austria.  The title is confusing, but it really is a murder mystery/investigation.  I can’t say enough good things about it. I think it’s only 6 episodes.  

• Like 1
2 hours ago, SunnyBeBe said:

I just marathoned Woman Of The Dead on Netflix and it’s AWESOME!  It’s based on the novel, which I haven’t read.  It’s filmed in Austria.  The title is confusing, but it really is a murder mystery/investigation.  I can’t say enough good things about it. I think it’s only 6 episodes.  

I couldn't get into it.  The scenery was gorgeous but I ended up giving up into the third episode, I think. 

There's a new series on PBS Masterpiece called The Good Apprentice about an Italian woman who is a medical student who decides to get into forensic medicine.  I only watched the first two episodes (a two-parter) and it's a lot.  It's like Ally McBeal with her narration.  And she's clumsy.  And she's perceptive.  And she has a crush on her semi-boss who is both arrogant and tries to seduce her at work.  It's such an absolute trip of a show. I can't say that it's good but it's cracking me up and I suspect I'll watch the whole season.

• Like 1

I'm still slogging my way through Jonathan Creek.  I really like Alan Davies in this, but it's becoming a bit of a chore to finish the last couple of seasons.

Do we know anything yet about when S3 of Happy Valley will pop up on one of the streaming services?  

I’ve been watching a British detective series on Netflix called Paranoid.  It’s sort of old.  Well, I would not recommend it.  The premise has potential, but the writing and characters are terrible.  It’s difficult to determine which character is the most unlikable.  It’s almost laughable how the detectives behave and how they conduct the investigation.  It’s definitely the worst British drama I’ve ever seen.  Lol They do have some good actors in the cast like Lesley Sharp and Kevin Doyle.  

• LOL 2