Type keyword(s) to search

Detective and Mystery Shows

zxy556575
  • Start Topic

On 9/11/2018 at 8:47 AM, geekgirl921 said:

I watched Cracker and really enjoyed it. It was very dark though. Those Brits seem to go for the more dark crime dramas.

I really enjoyed Cracker though it's been a few years. Those Brits seem to like things dark. They tried to do an American version but it just wasn't as good. I watched the first two episodes of Queens of Mystery this weekend. I really enjoyed it. It has the same feel as Good Omens and of course all of those actors and actresses where I spend quite a bit of time trying to figure out what I know them from.

I liked Queens of Mystery as well. I hope that they decide to make more episodes. I'll have to check out Good Omens. I loved Brokenwood Mysteries which has the same quirky vibe as Agatha Raisin. 

• Love 1

I'm binging Hinterland, and while the scenery is stunning, the increasing soapiness is starting to annoy me. I'm also kind of tired in general of damaged men not working through their damage, and just expect their colleagues to be fine with it.

All that said, I like that the first case Matthias worked on has repercussions in later seasons. That's a nice long game.

• Love 3

I watched the first half of the first ep and then put it on hold for Happy Valley. (I also checked out a humongous book from the library, so I need time for that too 😄) I’ll most likely get back to it when I finish Happy Valley and my library book.

On 8/6/2019 at 1:17 PM, Enigma X said:

I liked London Kills but am not in love with it.

I really didn't care much for the first "season" (but let's face it, it's pretty obvious they filmed all ten episodes at the same time and it's more like a break than separate seasons.)  But the second set of episodes improved enough for me that I will watch more if they make more.

On 8/5/2019 at 6:53 PM, Writing Wrongs said:

The new Lucy Lawless show, My Life Is Murder is pretty good. It's on Acorn TV.

I didn't care for it much at first but it's growing on me.

• Love 1

The Lucy Lawless show is pleasant enough and I'm still watching, but man, it is bringing nothing new to the table. Well trodden paths.

Well, I haven't seen any other artisanal bread bakers solving murders, but aside from that.

• Love 2
9 hours ago, 2727 said:

The Lucy Lawless show is pleasant enough and I'm still watching, but man, it is bringing nothing new to the table. Well trodden paths.

Well, I haven't seen any other artisanal bread bakers solving murders, but aside from that.

I can’t get into it and find myself more interested in the guy who brings her cases than her character. He is barely in for 5 minutes an episode.

• Love 2

I just started watching Rig 45, which came out last year but I had never heard of before. It's the kind of plot set up I enjoy: A company investigator is sent to look into an apparent accident on an oil rig manned by a skeleton crew, then they all get trapped when a storm hits. There are a few British actors, but most of the cast seems to be Scandinavian and the dialogue is mainly in English.

• Love 1
On 3/3/2019 at 7:16 PM, walnutqueen said:

Dammit, Jeeves!  You're making me want things I can't afford. 

So I know this is many months after the fact, and of course I don't know where you live, but many libraries have a free service called hoopla (I don't believe it is capitalized) You can -borrow- content through your library and watch it on your tv or device. The downsides it only has content your library pays for, you only have it for a short time (mine for a tv show or movie is 3 days) and you only get a certain number of borrows a month (mine is 7, my sister's is 10). This is the way I was able to watch London Kills and a number of other Acorn programs. You can at least check to see if your library offers it.

• Love 1

I just found out that Netflix has ended Midsomer Murders; I guess it is going to another streaming service.  The same for Death in Paradise and several others.  Mr. Kemper and I were going to spend some of the winter watching Midsomer from the beginning; I have never seen some of those.

I like murder mysteries and I don't mind dark ones...I have watched a lot of dark mysteries on Netflix...some Australian, lots of British, Belgium (Unit 42), etc.  But sometimes I just want to kick back with a cup of tea and watch cozy mysteries or ones with a "way" about them that only the Brits can do.  Our local PBS station has shown some of the "Vera" movies with Brenda Blethlyn - and a few others.  So....

I was thinking of subscribing to Acorn when a friend told me about Brit Box.  Does anyone have a preference?  Right now I'm thinking Brit Box.  And in watching some early Midsomers, I realize the earlier ones were maybe better than the ones with the new Barnaby.  Some of the early ones were really twisted (incest, etc.) - but somehow didn't make you go ewww.

1 hour ago, Kemper said:

I just found out that Netflix has ended Midsomer Murders; I guess it is going to another streaming service.  The same for Death in Paradise and several others.  Mr. Kemper and I were going to spend some of the winter watching Midsomer from the beginning; I have never seen some of those.

I like murder mysteries and I don't mind dark ones...I have watched a lot of dark mysteries on Netflix...some Australian, lots of British, Belgium (Unit 42), etc.  But sometimes I just want to kick back with a cup of tea and watch cozy mysteries or ones with a "way" about them that only the Brits can do.  Our local PBS station has shown some of the "Vera" movies with Brenda Blethlyn - and a few others.  So....

I was thinking of subscribing to Acorn when a friend told me about Brit Box.  Does anyone have a preference?  Right now I'm thinking Brit Box.  And in watching some early Midsomers, I realize the earlier ones were maybe better than the ones with the new Barnaby.  Some of the early ones were really twisted (incest, etc.) - but somehow didn't make you go ewww.

Britbox has all of the Midsomer Murders by season. It also has most of Vera. Acorn has some good darkish mysteries too. I have both and watch each about the same. Acorn also has some shows produced just for them such as Agatha Raisin on Acorn. I suggest doing a free trial on each and check their respective titles. 

• Love 1
3 hours ago, Kemper said:

I have both Britbox and Acorn. I like them both, pay about $5/month each. Acorn has Line of Duty (corruption in the police force) and a good mix of serious mysteries as well as classics, and some silly stuff. There are also some European and Australian shows with subtitles.

Britbox has Dr. Who, Coronation Street, and some long-running dramas. Vera is here. Lots of mysteries as well. 

Try a trial of one or the other or both. For fun you can keep track of how many actors appear in ensembles together.

As for me, I'm hooked on the Aussie show Wentworth set in a women's prison (on Netflix). It's based on a show called Prisoner: Cellblock H that ran in the late 70s and early 80s. There are 692 episodes of that available online.

• Love 1
On 8/31/2019 at 11:10 PM, 2727 said:

The Lucy Lawless show is pleasant enough and I'm still watching, but man, it is bringing nothing new to the table.

Except clothes for Madison. How many does she have, does she ever wear anything twice?

I watched Touch of Cloth this week (Amazon). It's a British detective series from 2012 that pokes fun at detective tropes and stereotypes. Three seasons, but each is only one 90-minute episode. I think anyone who watches detective fiction will get a kick out of it.

Example: in the first few minutes of the first episode, the two leads speak to each other using acronyms for ACC, DAC, SO, OS, ASAP, CCTV, DNA, VSU, AWOL, OMFG, and S.H.I.T.

Stars Suranne Jones and John Hannah.

• Love 1
On 8/28/2019 at 8:25 AM, LisaM said:

I liked Queens of Mystery as well. I hope that they decide to make more episodes. I'll have to check out Good Omens. I loved Brokenwood Mysteries which has the same quirky vibe as Agatha Raisin. 

Thanks for mentioning this @LisaM.  I'm a fan of Agatha Raisin, which I've watched on Acorn (I liked Queens of Mystery also) but as I've seen them all to date, I'm wondering if I should indeed move on to Brokenwood Mysteries?   I looked at the trailer on Youtube and it does look promising.  I prefer mysteries with good characters and stories that are interesting and not too obvious but also not too gory.   Would Brokenwood fit the bill I hope?

8 hours ago, roseha said:

Thanks for mentioning this @LisaM.  I'm a fan of Agatha Raisin, which I've watched on Acorn (I liked Queens of Mystery also) but as I've seen them all to date, I'm wondering if I should indeed move on to Brokenwood Mysteries?   I looked at the trailer on Youtube and it does look promising.  I prefer mysteries with good characters and stories that are interesting and not too obvious but also not too gory.   Would Brokenwood fit the bill I hope?

Brokenwood is very good. There is quite a bit of humor mixed in with the murders. Some of the murders are horrendous but, from memory, they aren't really seen so the gore factor is low. It reminds me a lot of Midsomer Murders (quirky townspeople, unusual and horrible murders but not gross, unusual detective team, small town with a ton of murders). 

I am eagerly awaiting Season 6 which is supposed to drop at some point soon. 

• Love 1
9 hours ago, LisaM said:

Brokenwood is very good. There is quite a bit of humor mixed in with the murders. Some of the murders are horrendous but, from memory, they aren't really seen so the gore factor is low. It reminds me a lot of Midsomer Murders (quirky townspeople, unusual and horrible murders but not gross, unusual detective team, small town with a ton of murders). 

I am eagerly awaiting Season 6 which is supposed to drop at some point soon. 

Thanks very much @LisaM, I will give it a try.  Acorn seems to have most/all of the available episodes. 

I've just been re-reading this whole thread and I think I'm going to be taking notes to see what else is on Acorn and Britbox.  Thanks again @LisaM for recommending Brokenwood Mysteries, I'm slowly binge-watching the show with 1 or 2 episodes a night, and currently on Season 3.  I really enjoy the characters - the cast is excellent - and the beautiful New Zealand setting.  The only plot that was hard to take was "Hunting the Stag", with multiple guest characters toting or buying rifles, it got to be too much for me (though I finished it out and it will be interesting to see "Frodo" reappear later -- as an ice cream vendor?).  One thing I do find enjoyable about the show - characters who are potential suspects in one story often reappear without comment in a later one (I noticed an actor from "To Die or Not to Die" showing up later on in as the same person in the Lord of the Rings tour story).  Small town indeed, nice attention to detail!  

Acorn showed a video of the show's writer speculating on why people enjoy mysteries so much.  He thought that perhaps they enjoyed seeing if they could figure out the solution faster than the detective, or at the same time as the detective.  Maybe that can be the case - though personally I feel that if I figure it out too early on the story's not good enough - however I was thinking about it last night, and maybe sometimes the reason people like mysteries, at least the kind on these shows, is that they do have a solution, nothing is left unsolved.  And in the space of 60 to 90 minutes yet.  Maybe it satisfies some need for structure, or solutions, that every day life may not provide.  I can't imagine a show like this leaving a case unsolved.  To give a different example however, there was an episode of Leverage that "solved" the D. B. Cooper case.  Much as I loved Leverage, I kind of felt they should have left that one unsolved, given the unknown real story (whatever it was).  Sorry to go a little off topic here!

Edited by roseha
Corrected Title of Episode.
  • Love 1
6 hours ago, roseha said:

however I was thinking about it last night, and maybe sometimes the reason people like mysteries, at least the kind on these shows, is that they do have a solution, nothing is left unsolved. 

I think it's because (generally) the "good guys win." We need that in this world, don't we?

• Love 1
6 hours ago, dleighg said:

I think it's because (generally) the "good guys win." We need that in this world, don't we?

Yes, it could be that also.

There was a nice scene in Brokenwood after the team has found a missing five year old girl, and Mike asks her if she knows what a detective does, and she says "You catch bad guys".   He adds, that he also "solves mysteries".  Maybe that sums up both aspects a little.

• Love 1

There's a new French show on Acorn that I really enjoyed called Balthazar.  It's about a medical examiner who works with a detective in Paris.  The ME's wife was killed but he still has conversations with her because he talks to the dead. (Not in a supernatural way but in his imagination way.) There are six episodes in the first season and the second season comes out next year.

• Love 2
On 12/29/2019 at 11:57 AM, LisaM said:

Season 6 of Brokenwood Mysteries starts on Monday, January 6 on Acorn. 

Thanks so much @LisaM, I have been revisiting a couple of the Brokenwood episodes, including tonight so I'm looking forward to the next season.  I'm glad they have brought back the actor who plays Jared, I missed him though I imagine he might have had another gig during Season 4/half of 5.

Hopefully Agatha Raisin will be back soon also.

On 12/1/2019 at 6:00 PM, Irlandesa said:

There's a new French show on Acorn that I really enjoyed called Balthazar.  It's about a medical examiner who works with a detective in Paris.  The ME's wife was killed but he still has conversations with her because he talks to the dead. (Not in a supernatural way but in his imagination way.) There are six episodes in the first season and the second season comes out next year.

Thanks for the rec, I will give this one a try.

I've been watching Maltese: The Mafia Detective.  If you have PBS Masterpiece subscription. (I have it through Amazon). Its the first Italian show I've watched and its very interesting.

The newest season of Silent Witness started on Britbox. The show doesn't seem to get talked about much, especially considering how long it's been on (this is season 23!). Admittedly, it's not great, but I enjoy it.

Edited by krankydoodle
1 minute ago, krankydoodle said:

The newest season of Silent Witness started on Britbox. The show doesn't seem to get talked about much, especially considering how long it's been on (this is season 23!). Admittedly, it's not great, but I enjoy it.

So coincidental for me that you mentioned this show. I started watching Season 1, Episode 1 last night. I thought it was a bit overly violent but I really like the lead character and actress. 

• Love 1

She leaves the show relatively early in its run (season 8 maybe?). I prefer the later seasons because I find Amanda Burton mildly irritating.

The show can sometimes be quite gory. Even as a long-time viewer, I was surprised by a few bits in the latest episode.

• Love 1

About five years ago I began watching Silent Witness  (the newer ones). At the end of 2019, I started watching season one, and it took me to season four to realize these were the same shows. I like season one to three better than the recent seasons but seasons three and four started to grate.

• Love 1
2 hours ago, khyber said:

New season of Brokenwood has started via Acorn TV.

I knew there was something I was going to watch coming out soon.

I've seen a few episodes of S1 Silent Witness on Prime.  It is daunting to have 23 seasons to go.

Edited by Irlandesa
  • Love 1
36 minutes ago, Irlandesa said:

I knew there was something I was going to watch coming out soon.

I've seen a few episodes of S1 Silent Witness on Prime.  It is daunting to have 23 seasons to go.

That is how I felt when I started Midsomer Murders Season 1 a few months ago. 🙂

6 minutes ago, LisaM said:

I watched the first episode of Series 6 of Brokenwood Mysteries last night and loved it.

Where is this streaming? Acorn? (I have that one). Can you drop in or do you need to start from the beginning?

38 minutes ago, LisaM said:

I watched the first episode of Series 6 of Brokenwood Mysteries last night and loved it. The show has not lost a beat. New episodes drop every Monday throughout January. 

@LisaM, did you notice the writing credit for the episode?  It was co-written by Nick Sampson, aka young detective Sam Breen.  Apparently he has a background in writing as well as improv. 

Loved that scene where Breen and Sims have to go chasing that nutty suspect in his precious hot air balloon.

I've become quite the fan of Brokenwood.  I love the way they keep bringing back the supporting characters, not only is Jared back, but I always look forward to appearances by Frodo and Mrs. Marlowe, even if it's only for a scene or two.

I'm wondering if I should start on Murdoch Mysteries next?  I just saw that it has 13 seasons available!  

37 minutes ago, dleighg said:

Where is this streaming? Acorn? (I have that one). Can you drop in or do you need to start from the beginning?

Just saw this, sorry to double post but I'd recommend starting from the beginning, it's only 4 episodes per season so they go fast.  The first explains how Mike becomes the new head detective, and helps introduce the characters while still having a complete mystery to solve.

15 hours ago, roseha said:

@LisaM, did you notice the writing credit for the episode?  It was co-written by Nick Sampson, aka young detective Sam Breen.  Apparently he has a background in writing as well as improv. 

Loved that scene where Breen and Sims have to go chasing that nutty suspect in his precious hot air balloon.

I've become quite the fan of Brokenwood.  I love the way they keep bringing back the supporting characters, not only is Jared back, but I always look forward to appearances by Frodo and Mrs. Marlowe, even if it's only for a scene or two.

I'm wondering if I should start on Murdoch Mysteries next?  I just saw that it has 13 seasons available!  

Just saw this, sorry to double post but I'd recommend starting from the beginning, it's only 4 episodes per season so they go fast.  The first explains how Mike becomes the new head detective, and helps introduce the characters while still having a complete mystery to solve.

I think that Nic Sampson wrote or co-wrote a few of the previous episodes too. Completely agree with you @roseha regarding the recurring characters. Waiting to spot Frodo or one of the others is a highlight; I literally squealed when Mrs. Mahler (or however it is actually written) showed up. Brokenwood is one of my top foreign shows. I think that starting at the beginning is definitely advised. I believe that it is an Acorn original. I hope that they keep ordering more seasons. 

I have never watched Murdoch Mysteries but my friend has and enjoyed it. No Offence is an excellent series - and it unfortunately only went for 3 seasons. Tremendous characters and writing. 

• Love 1