Type keyword(s) to search

Detective and Mystery Shows

zxy556575
  • Start Topic

Finished City Homicide.  Slogged through Rebus.  Am enjoying Season 3 of Cardinal.  Looking for my next Hulu fix (I have eleventy billion shows on my watchlist).  So, is Cold Squad worth sinking my teeth into? 

Are you up for 98 episodes of Cold Squad?  I couldn't really get into it other than as background but that may be because I didn't connect with any of the characters.

You might like Coroner if you like Cardinal. It's more episodic than Cardinal but still rather on the dark side but I thought it was entertaining. And it has Nicholas Campbell, Da Vinci himself.

I'm enjoying Diggstown right now.  It's lighter fare but I like how the Black and Indigenous communities are portrayed.

Edited by statsgirl
  • Love 1

Has anyone watched Jack Taylor on Netflix?  I just started this weekend; Mr. Kemper was deep into March Madness.  I liked it; never seen the actor before.  It was a bit dark and gritty - just the right touch.  I think they made one season.

• Love 2
1 hour ago, Kemper said:

Has anyone watched Jack Taylor on Netflix? 

I liked it. Disgraced former policeman working as a private detective! Drinks too much! Cares too much!

The setting in Galway was nice. I don't remember any specific plots, but the coat is imprinted.

All three seasons are available on Acorn; only three 90-minute episodes per season.

Which reminds me, I need to activate Acorn and Britbox for a month and catch up on all my atmospheric UK detective shows.  :-)

• Love 1
On 6/10/2018 at 3:44 PM, Casual Viewing said:

Discovered a new series called Shakespeare & Hathaway. Kind of light-hearted (in the style of Father Brown, or Death in Paradise.) 

On 2/24/2019 at 6:14 PM, Writing Wrongs said:

I'm now watching Shakespeare and Hathaway. It's a fun show.

On 2/24/2019 at 8:37 PM, Me Too said:

My local PBS station aired the pilot last weekend and I totally fell in love with the show.

On 2/25/2019 at 7:19 AM, Jeeves said:

Thanks for the tip. I watched part of the first episode last night, but it was bedtime and I was too sleepy. I liked it, and have added it to my watchlist for awake-time viewing. 

On 2/25/2019 at 2:28 PM, Writing Wrongs said:

It's on Britbox. I'm so glad I have that and Acorn TV.

I don't know if the show is set in its own world, but it takes place in Stratford Upon Avon and nobody blinks at her last name being Shakespeare or that the other characters' names or stories are connected to Shakespeare's writings. 

Late to the party on Shakespeare & Hathaway. My DVR picked it up when my (crappy) local PBS station aired a couple of episodes, probably thinking it was a documentary. I found it charming & binged on 9 episodes on BritBox this weekend. I love how Lu is always munching on junk food - a woman after my own heart!

At first it was strange that no one even blinked at the leads' names, but I think it's just a wink & a nod, especially since one episode centered around the play"Romeo & Juliet". It's fun picking out the Shakespeare references. 

• Love 2
13 hours ago, statsgirl said:

You might like Coroner if you like Cardinal. It's more episodic than Cardinal but still rather on the dark side but I thought it was entertaining. And it has Nicholas Campbell, Da Vinci himself.

I really enjoyed Coroner as well.

• Love 2

Yesterday I watched Manhunt (Acorn TV) starring Martin Clunes. It's based on a true case. It was pretty good. I've also been watching The Killing. I'm almost done with Season 2. 

I can't decide if I prefer the grittier shows or the cozy country mysteries. I guess it depends on my mood. 

• Love 7

I haven't seen anyone mention No Offence, a British crime drama with touches of black humor available in the US on Acorn. There are currently 3 seasons, but I believe a 4th and 5th are in the works. I really enjoyed it, but I wonder if the episodes have been edited because some seemed a bit choppy.

• Love 6

I just finished watching the first 2 episodes of Queens of Mystery on Acorn and would recommend it for those who like quirky, more lighthearted mysteries. It's about a young woman whose mother disappeared when she was little and who went on to be raised by her 3 mystery writer aunts. She becomes a police officer and reluctantly accepts her aunts' help with solving crimes. The show features narration reminiscent of Pushing Daisies or Amelie, which I found delightful but YMMV. It does include the frustrating old chestnut of the hero confronting the suspected killer without telling anyone where she's going or calling for backup once she realizes her hunch was correct. Still, it was fun and I'm looking forward to watching the remaining episodes when they come out.

• Love 5

I've watched all of the episodes of Queens of Mystery so far. I like it ok, but I don't love it. Maybe it's a bit too quirky for me. 

I watched Murderland starring Robbie Coltrane. It was good.

I've tried a couple of times to get into Loch Ness and Hidden, but I just wasn't feeling them.

I need to re-watch Miss Fisher before the movie comes out.

• Love 1

So glad that I found this thread. I subscribe to both Acorn TV and Britbox. So far, I have watched all of Agatha Raisin and Queens of Mystery on Acorn and binged all 9 seasons of Vera on Britbox/Acorn. I watched the first 2 episodes of Midsomer Murders and almost fell asleep during both. I like the quirky humor of Agatha Raisin a lot. Any suggestions for similar shows? I am going to try Shakespeare & Hathaway next. 

I loved Vera and cannot wait for the next series. 

• Love 3
8 hours ago, LisaM said:

So glad that I found this thread. I subscribe to both Acorn TV and Britbox. So far, I have watched all of Agatha Raisin and Queens of Mystery on Acorn and binged all 9 seasons of Vera on Britbox/Acorn. I watched the first 2 episodes of Midsomer Murders and almost fell asleep during both. I like the quirky humor of Agatha Raisin a lot. Any suggestions for similar shows? I am going to try Shakespeare & Hathaway next. 

I loved Vera and cannot wait for the next series. 

I love Midsomer Murders. I've watched the whole series twice. 

Have you tried Miss Fisher's Murder Mysteries or Brokenwood Mysteries?

• Love 2
On 4/20/2019 at 8:19 AM, Writing Wrongs said:

I need to re-watch Miss Fisher before the movie comes out. 

I didn't realize until I saw the trailer on Acorn that they're doing a spin-off series: Ms. Fisher's Modern Murder Mysteries featuring Phryne's niece.

8 hours ago, LisaM said:

I like the quirky humor of Agatha Raisin a lot. Any suggestions for similar shows?

You could also try Hamish Macbeth, Jonathan Creek, Vexed, or Death in Paradise (I think the last is only available on Netflix in the US).

• Love 1

I tried to edit my prior post but could not. 

I am now in the midst of Brokenwood Mysteries and The Coroner, both of which I highly recommend. I gave Midsomer Murders another shot and found that there are some episodes which I enjoy and others which are so slow that I have to turn them off midway. Someone recommended Waking the Dead and London Kills, which I will sample next. 

It's a bit strange to watch shows where I literally do not recognize any of the actors. 

• Love 1

I started watching Line of Duty last night in anticipation of the new 5th season premiering on May 13 on Acorn. I'm only on Season 1, Episode 3 but I am hooked. 

• Love 2

I started a rewatch of Scott & Bailey this week; it's probably been 3-4 years since I first saw it. After watching Doctor Foster in between,  I can't unsee Suranne Jones as an unhinged, vengeful woman scorned.

I'm just finishing season 1 and don't recall if I disliked the character of Rachel so much before, but dang is she exasperating! It's kind of putting me off the show whereas I liked it fine before.

• Love 2

Last night our local PBS station started airing the new season of Endeavor.  I was lost because it had been awhile since I had seen the last episode of the last season.  Anyone else? I will try and look to see if there is a thread for Endeavor.

(edited)

Okay, I'm starting to get annoyed with all the detective shows (typically UK) who costume their police detectives in jeans and flannel shirts. What happened to looking professional on the job!? I don't think I'd react kindly to a police officer knocking on my door wearing tatty Saturday morning lawn mowing clothes.

I have trouble believing that reflects any reality in the Met, either. These are not undercover officers.

Edit: I was reminded of it now watching London Kills but Marcella and The Tunnel were other offenders.

Edited by palmaire
On 6/8/2019 at 11:24 AM, palmaire said:

I started a rewatch of Scott & Bailey this week; it's probably been 3-4 years since I first saw it. After watching Doctor Foster in between,  I can't unsee Suranne Jones as an unhinged, vengeful woman scorned.

I'm just finishing season 1 and don't recall if I disliked the character of Rachel so much before, but dang is she exasperating! It's kind of putting me off the show whereas I liked it fine before.

Is Scott & Bailey this one?

Spoiler

Female detective is having affair with married barrister, he breaks it off, she's pregnant and blackmails him (to give her the lease of a flat?), and he's defending on one of her big cases in court.

If that's the one, I got so p*ssed off at the stupid crass corrupt bitch that I couldn't even finish watching the episode. Just. No.

I rarely waste energy snarling at the TV - just quit watching stuff that turns out to be dreck - but that series did it for me. Despised the character, and since her character is named in the title I assume they weren't going to kill her off or imprison her or otherwise give her the appropriate consequences for her criminal behavior.

• Love 2
6 hours ago, palmaire said:

Okay, I'm starting to get annoyed with all the detective shows (typically UK) who costume their police detectives in jeans and flannel shirts. What happened to looking professional on the job!? I don't think I'd react kindly to a police officer knocking on my door wearing tatty Saturday morning lawn mowing clothes.

I have trouble believing that reflects any reality in the Met, either. These are not undercover officers.

Edit: I was reminded of it now watching London Kills but Marcella and The Tunnel were other offenders.

It has a long history in America too. Back to at least Starsky and Hutch in my memory, even if they were plain clothes patrolmen in the pilot they evolved into the detectives with Starsky in jeans. Then the next major was New York Undercover, except when they weren't keeping their cover, while not sloppy they also were not in the professional look when interviewing families of murder victims. 

But the pinnacle had to be Shermar Moore in a FBI with no visible tattoos policy working as a profiler and adviser to local police departments going to work in a tight tee shirt showing off his tattoos

• Love 4
1 hour ago, Jeeves said:

Is Scott & Bailey this one?

Reveal spoiler

Female detective is having affair with married barrister, he breaks it off, she's pregnant and blackmails him (to give her the lease of a flat?), and he's defending on one of her big cases in court.

If that's the one, I got so p*ssed off at the stupid crass corrupt bitch that I couldn't even finish watching the episode. Just. No.

I rarely waste energy snarling at the TV - just quit watching stuff that turns out to be dreck - but that series did it for me. Despised the character, and since her character is named in the title I assume they weren't going to kill her off or imprison her or otherwise give her the appropriate consequences for her criminal behavior.

Yes - that is Episode 1 of Scott & Bailey. I watched it on a plane - like you, got so annoyed by the actions of the female cop that I quit the show cold. There are plenty of other good British detective shows on Acorn and Britbox that I did not want to spend time watching crap. 

• Love 4
37 minutes ago, LisaM said:

I am going to watch London Kills as my next binge. I finished No Offence which I highly recommend and have just started Waking the Dead. 

I have watched all of these. No Offence is my favorite. I like them all though. I will say that the way they talk over each other in Waking the Dead grates. I have been binge watching this for years, and I am not sure if this happened in the earliest seasons. In the latter seasons it happens so much that it is ridiculous.

• Love 1
14 hours ago, Enigma X said:

I have watched all of these. No Offence is my favorite. I like them all though. I will say that the way they talk over each other in Waking the Dead grates. I have been binge watching this for years, and I am not sure if this happened in the earliest seasons. In the latter seasons it happens so much that it is ridiculous.

No Offence is my favorite too. Hoping for another season. 

• Love 1
On 7/19/2019 at 12:06 PM, Writing Wrongs said:

I watched the second season of London Kills on Acorn TV. I really like this show.

It's going to be my next binge watch! I really liked Season 1. I may re-watch some of Season 1 to get back into the story. 

There is a new mystery series coming to AcornTV in early August starring Lucy Lawless. Looking forward to seeing it. 

Sad to hear that No Offence has been cancelled. 

Coming to the end of Season 4 of Waking the Dead and I think I am stopping after this season. Cannot stand Boyd. 

Spoiler

Not happy that they are killing off Mel and that Holly Aird (Frankie) decided to leave the show. Frankie and Grace are my favorite characters so I'm out. 

Edited by LisaM
More to add
On 8/1/2019 at 7:27 AM, LisaM said:

Sad to hear that No Offence has been cancelled. 

Coming to the end of Season 4 of Waking the Dead and I think I am stopping after this season. Cannot stand Boyd. 

So disappointed to hear about the cancellation of No Offence, especially since I remember seeing articles about the creator's excitement about plans for future storylines.

Boyd on Waking the Dead is such an aggravating character. He's often needlessly belligerent, but the show seems to present him as someone we're supposed to grudgingly admire and feel for and I just couldn't. I never warmed to Spencer either. Grace was the only one I liked.

• Love 2
22 hours ago, krankydoodle said:

So disappointed to hear about the cancellation of No Offence, especially since I remember seeing articles about the creator's excitement about plans for future storylines.

Boyd on Waking the Dead is such an aggravating character. He's often needlessly belligerent, but the show seems to present him as someone we're supposed to grudgingly admire and feel for and I just couldn't. I never warmed to Spencer either. Grace was the only one I liked.

I never liked Spencer either. I liked Mel - but that was probably because I liked the actress in The Coroner in which she starred years later. Frankie was my favorite and I liked Grace as well likely because neither took shit from Boyd. 

Started watching London Kills last night. So far, so good plus the episodes are not nearly as long as Waking the Dead

No Offence is the best of all of them IMO. Still holding out hope that another British network will pick it up. DI Deering is the best. 

• Love 1

I’ve just started watching Shetland, after plowing through five seasons of Line of Duty in about a week 😄 Loving the melancholy, atmospheric cinematography and score of Shetland.

I did watch Cracker back in the day when it was first on PBS. It’s been so long that I forget how awful a person he was, but I do remember his being obsessed with a female detective co-worker, while being married. I’ll have to search it up somewhere.

• Love 1
15 minutes ago, Writing Wrongs said:

I find Scottish accents really hard to understand sometimes.

I use closed caption for almost everything. Even British accents. Even American accents 🙂 and I'm American.

• Love 4

I get my British detective/mysteries fix on Netflix; but am thinking of adding another streaming channel.  I love Midsommer, Vera, Lewis (miss it), Shetland, Father Brown, Jack Taylor, etc.  I like the dark ones (Unit 42, Marcella, Jack Taylor, Hinterland, etc) but also like the cozy ones.  I was going to get Acorn; but in browsing Brit Box it seems that it has just as many, if not more.  Any recommendation?

If I were you I'd get Acorn and binge No Offence and Line of Duty and then switch to Britbox. I have Acorn now and have really enjoyed those two shows but think I'll switch over to Britbox for awhile.

• Love 1

I recently binge watched Taggart on either Acorn TV or Britbox (forgot which) and am watching Wycliffe on Prime.

The former is early 80s into the early 90s and the latter is early to mid 90s. I still enjoyed them although you can definitely feel the era in which they aired.

• Love 2

Quoting myself but...

57 minutes ago, Enigma X said:

I recently binge watched Taggart on either Acorn TV or Britbox (forgot which) and am watching Wycliffe on Prime.

The former is early 80s into the early 90s and the latter is early to mid 90s. I still enjoyed them although you can definitely feel the era in which they aired.

Taggart had some early Scottish talent guest appear in their episodes. I spotted Alan Cumming, John Hannah, and Henry Ian Cusick.

• Love 2

I was happy to see that Touching Evil has become available on Tubi. I clicked on the first episode just to refresh my memory about it, and ended up rewatching the whole thing in one sitting. My memory is that the later episodes aren't as good, but the first season at least is really compelling.