Type keyword(s) to search

Detective and Mystery Shows

zxy556575
  • Start Topic

I have not yet watched. Wanted to record all of the episodes so that I can binge. 

Speaking of binge, I am in Season 3 of The Doctor Blake Mysteries. 

I saw a news article today that they are starting to film Trapped Season 3. 

• Love 1
15 hours ago, Irlandesa said:

Brokenwood Mysteries is getting a 7th season but it's moving networks.  And Acorn is partially paying for it.  I would imagine it's one of their bigger successes.

Thanks for posting this! I love Brokenwood. Looking forward to seeing Season 7 on Acorn at some point. 

On 9/24/2020 at 9:53 AM, abbyzenn said:

A Coin in the Hand - was that episode 5?  Wasn't expecting that ending!!!  (the part with Royon nor especially that last scene on the beach)

Yes, the scene on the beach. I had thought that was going on, then I didn't but knew that it would be a ride. So enjoying this one. Now getting ready to see episode 6. 

Finished Doctor Blake Mysteries (and its short sequel, Blake Mysteries) as well as Van Der Valk. I've read that there will be a Season 2 of the latter at some point. I really enjoyed Van Der Valk although 3 episodes was really too short.

Started watching New Tricks on Amazon last night. It's an older British series about a police squad formed with retired detectives. First episode was a mix of drama and some very funny moments. 

Edited by LisaM
  • Love 1
On 9/23/2020 at 10:20 AM, LisaM said:

Thanks for posting this! I love Brokenwood. Looking forward to seeing Season 7 on Acorn at some point. 

Great news!  I really hope Brokenwood keeps going as long as possible.   They have really kept the quality high and all the actors are great, including the semi regulars like “Frodo” and “Mrs. Marlowe”.

• Love 1

Anyone have HBO? I am watching The Beforeigners...it is a Norwegian show. https://www.imdb.com/title/tt8332130/ This review kind of sums it up Very european satirical sci fi

RubyMouse10 September 2019

I have watched the first 3 episodes and I am completely hooked. This is the best TV I have watched for ages: great production values, smart and funny dialogue and likeable characters. It defies easy categorisation as it is a show that makes significant political critiques while being laugh out loud funny, has the maddest story line ever while somehow managing not to be completely ridiculous and is full of truly emotional moments. It is a comic, sci fi, time travel inspired, cop drama with drugs and sex, vikings and bohemians. I can't believe I've just written that sentence AND given it 9 stars!!

My post to my friends included this:

This is Alien Nation with a 2020 feel. The best line I heard today was this: I am sorry. We are going to have to let you go, murdering saints isn't compatible with Foodies Values." The employee had been a Viking in the past and killed Saint Olaf and was being let go from being Norway's version of a grub hub.

Edited by A coin in the hand
to add
  • Love 2
On 10/5/2020 at 5:14 AM, LisaM said:

Finished Doctor Blake Mysteries (and its short sequel, Blake Mysteries) as well as Van Der Valk. I've read that there will be a Season 2 of the latter at some point. I really enjoyed Van Der Valk although 3 episodes was really too short.

Started watching New Tricks on Amazon last night. It's an older British series about a police squad formed with retired detectives. First episode was a mix of drama and some very funny moments. 

I also just started New Tricks. I liked the first episode enough to continue.

• Love 1

I suspect Amazon has the same edited version of New Tricks that used to be on Hulu. At least some seasons of the show are going to be available on BritBox later this month and I'm hoping they'll have the uncut episodes since that was the case with Silent Witness.

I wasn't impressed with 2 of the newer series I tried on Peacock. Departure looks kind of cheap and doesn't seem to offer anything we haven't already seen done better in other shows of this type. And the mix of humor and police procedural in Code 404 just didn't work for me.

I am really enjoying New Tricks. I really enjoy the various Nordic Noir series but it is a refreshing not to have to cover my eyes due to excess gore and/or women being held against their will. The antics - and genius - of the 3 retired cops really cracks me up,

I watched Episode 1 of The Cliff on Amazon and then gave up. Did not like the supernatural involvement.

1 minute ago, Writing Wrongs said:

I'm really enjoying Death in Paradise.  I was looking it up and accidentally spoiled myself for the first episode of Season 3 though, which annoyed me.

That is the absolutely worst episode to be spoiled! So sorry for you!

I love New Tricks, love Brian's flaws, Gerry's relationships with his ex-wives and daughters, Sondra and Jack's relationship...

• Love 2

I liked New Tricks and watched the whole series. The Dr. Blake Mysteries is a great series, but the Dr. Blake-less Mysteries just couldn't live up to it. I've spent the last month watching Silent Witness, all 21 seasons! (or was it 23?) I watched the first six seasons in order and then have bounced around, choosing 2-episode sets by the descriptions of the cases.

Currently, Flesh and Blood on PBS has my attention. Prodigal Son is intriguing.

I'm getting spoiled watching British/Australian/not American mysteries. Not only am I not interrupted by inane commercials, but working out the puzzles is far more entertaining than the next blood bath.

• Love 2

I was seeking distraction last night at nearly bedtime. As I usually do, I started browsing my subscribed channels on the Roku on the bedroom TV. What hit the spot, was Rosemary & Thyme on Britbox. I'd watched most if not all the episodes a few years ago, but I enjoyed watching three or four episodes last night. I tend to not remember many details of shows like that. 

I like the lead characters and just reveled in all the gorgeous landscapes and gardens. IMO the series has aged pretty well (it aired from I think 2003 - 2007). It's far from noir, and that was just what I needed. I'll probably (re)watch more episodes this week. 

• Love 3
On 11/2/2020 at 12:15 PM, IrishPirate said:

I'm getting spoiled watching British/Australian/not American mysteries. Not only am I not interrupted by inane commercials, but working out the puzzles is far more entertaining than the next blood bath.

To be fair, there are American TV shows that are more about the puzzle than the blood. Monk, Psych, Murder She Wrote etc. Can't help with the commercials though.

• Love 1

I see that a couple of you have been watching The Sounds here. I've just binged watched the entire 8 episodes over the last week.  There certainly were a lot of twists that kept me watching, though not all of the ones I might have expected.  I won't try to give away too much, except to say, yes, poor Ryan.  But also - and this doesn't become obvious I think until the end, but I really think that Esther turns out to be the most interesting character.  And credit to Emily Piggford who pulls off playing her so well.

If I may ask a definite spoiler question - I had trouble with some of the accents so I am still wondering 

Spoiler

who really did kill the young girl 15 years earlier, and how did it happen?

Edited by roseha
misspelled person's name
  • Love 1
1 hour ago, Irlandesa said:

I think they're hoping for a season 2.  I don't think your question was answered.  If it was, I missed it.

Thanks @Irlandesa, I think if I remember which episode it was - either 7 or 8 - I will check again with the captions on.  I'm not clear whether they intend to have a Season Two, maybe it's COVID related at this point.  Though there were some loose ends left you could say, but I wouldn't call them actual cliff hangers.

I just found out that Shakespeare and Hathaway is showing Season 3 on Britbox.  I watched the first episode.  These are fun, about as lightweight as a mystery can be but if you are in the mood for something with a fair amount of humor and a good cast it's a fun way to pass the time.

1 hour ago, A coin in the hand said:

Roseha..

Reveal spoiler

Zoe, the baby's mom and drug runner

And I so agree, Emily Piggford was a marvel to watch. She created such a strong vision for that character and in the end, rather sympathetic. 

Thanks so much @A coin in the hand.    I had thought I heard something to that effect but wasn't sure.

1 hour ago, A coin in the hand said:

Roseha..

Reveal spoiler

Zoe, the baby's mom and drug runner

And I so agree, Emily Piggford was a marvel to watch. She created such a strong vision for that character and in the end, rather sympathetic. 

Holy hell.  I guess that shows how closely I paid attention/remember.  I do remember that now, thank you.  I'd make an awful TV witness.

Has anyone seen either Fallet or Eyewitness (from Norway) on Netflix? I am going to need a new binge after I finish the last few episodes of New Tricks. I started watching The Good Karma Hospital which is not a mystery but stars Amanda Redman from New Tricks. Fun, escapist and perfect for this crazy season. 

I watched Fallet and it was okay. It was basically a parody of Scandinavian Noir TV series.  A lot of it was fun because of that but it also got kind of old in a binge situation.

I didn't watch the original Eyewitness but did watch the remake on USA which I enjoyed quite a bit.

I binged Perdida (Stolen Away) last weekend.  It's a Spanish/Colombian series about a married couple whose daughter was kidnapped.  Years later, the father figured out who took her and went to Colombia to see if he could find out where she was from this guy.  It's probably more of a thriller as some of the mysteries/twists were pretty easy to figure out.  But I felt it was a pretty easy binge.

I've also been watching New Tricks recently and really enjoying it. I've had true LOL moments from Gerry, Brian, and Jack. Was a bit nervous to continue after what happened with the dog in the first episode, but I'm glad I pushed through.

I also am relatively new to Shakespeare and Hathaway. I really enjoyed the first 2 seasons. I've been taking my time with the 3rd, but I don't think I'm enjoying it as much. They seem slightly less fun this season. Several so far have ended up having murder involved, while I liked that some in the first two seasons had unexpectedly happy endings or interesting twists. I'll keep going because I still like it all, but I miss that aspect. And I get why Hathaway might have gotten a haircut, but anyone know the deal with him wearing such a fancy suit now?

• Love 1

New Tricks

Brian and Esther are my favorite characters.

Spoiler

I am at the point where Brian and Esther are gone. Jack is long gone, and Sandra will be gone soon. I am not enjoying it as much, but will ride it out. I am also quite annoyed with the Macchiavelian Fisher. He is such a cartoon.

8 hours ago, Enigma X said:

New Tricks

Brian and Esther are my favorite characters.

Reveal spoiler

I am at the point where Brian and Esther are gone. Jack is long gone, and Sandra will be gone soon. I am not enjoying it as much, but will ride it out. I am also quite annoyed with the Macchiavelian Fisher. He is such a cartoon.

I love Brian and Esther. Did you know that the actress who plays Esther is the real life wife of the actor who plays Jack? 

Spoiler

I am at the beginning of the Brian departs arc. Have been putting off watching it after binge watching the rest of the show over the past weeks. When Brian and Sandra leave, so do I. The chemistry among the 4 of them really makes the show. 

• Love 1
1 hour ago, LisaM said:

I love Brian and Esther. Did you know that the actress who plays Esther is the real life wife of the actor who plays Jack? 

Reveal spoiler

I am at the beginning of the Brian departs arc. Have been putting off watching it after binge watching the rest of the show over the past weeks. When Brian and Sandra leave, so do I. The chemistry among the 4 of them really makes the show. 

Yes 😀

Looking for my next binge. I finished The Good Karma Hospital (non-mystery but quite good) and am just about done with New Tricks. Has anyone seen Modus on PBS Masterpiece? I believe it is Nordic Noir set in Sweden, 

On 11/15/2020 at 3:52 PM, LisaM said:

Has anyone seen Modus on PBS Masterpiece?

I watched at least some of the first episode a while ago and thought it was well made but didn't seem to offer much new. To be fair, I was watching a lot of mystery shows at the time so might've just been burned out on the genre. My PBS subscription expired before I was able to give it another chance.

On 11/17/2020 at 9:46 PM, Irlandesa said:

Anyone else kind of sad as we approach the end of the year?  Normally, we'd be expecting new seasons of Agatha Raisin and Brokenwood Mysteries on Acorn around this time but not this year.

I have the latest (last? 😔) Agatha Raisin book on hold from my library to help tide me over. I was hoping for more Queens of Mystery, but I think season 2 has been delayed by the pandemic.

11 hours ago, Irlandesa said:

The third season of Balthazar is airing in France right now which means we should hopefully get it on Acorn early in the new year. It has been renewed for a fourth season.

That is excellent news, thanks! 

The fourth season of Frankie Drake Mysteries will start airing in January on Canadian television. Not sure how long thereafter we need to wait for it to appear on either Ovation or PBS Masterpiece via Amazon. 

• Useful 1

Our local PBS station showed the Professor T series every Saturday night at 11:00 for awhile.  I loved it and know there are no more being made; they actually wrapped up the series quite nicely.  It was one of the most out-there of the PBS series that I can remember watching.  Great cast.

• Useful 1
  • Love 1
On 12/10/2020 at 5:31 PM, Kemper said:

Our local PBS station showed the Professor T series every Saturday night at 11:00 for awhile.  I loved it and know there are no more being made; they actually wrapped up the series quite nicely.  It was one of the most out-there of the PBS series that I can remember watching.  Great cast.

I've only seen the first two seasons.  They haven't started showing the third here yet.  The BBC is doing a British version starring Death In Paradise's Ben Miller.

• Useful 1
  • Love 1

Started watching Professor T today on PBS Masterpiece (through Amazon Prime). So far, interesting. 

I finally finished all of New Tricks. 

Spoiler

I had planned to stop after Brian and Sandra left but continued to the end. The new cast was much weaker than the originals and did not have the same chemistry. Losing Amanda Redman as Sandra was a huge blow. Having 2 new "boys" together with a new UCOS leader was not helpful. 

Started Season 1 of Rebecka Martinsson on Acorn. It's okay - nothing special IMO. 

Edited by LisaM

I tried to edit my last post but was unable to so apologies for the double post. 

I watched an interesting series on Acorn yesterday: Winter and its predecessor movie, The Killing Field. Set in Australia, it follows a female Detective Sergeant and her task force who investigate a serial killer in the movie and the death of a young woman in the series. It was good and held my attention - unlike some of the other shows I have started and stopped recently. 

Now watching a four-part series called Chasing Shadows, which starred Alex Kingston (from ER) as a missing person investigator working with a brilliant DS who appears to be on the autism spectrum. Not sure why they only made 2 two-part episodes because it is not bad. 

Edited by LisaM
  • Love 2

I've gone all in on PBS Masterpiece (Warner Presents).  I got it on a trial earlier because there was something my sister wanted to watch and I wasn't quite sure how to cancel it. 

I've watched the first two seasons of Rocco Schiavone which is an Italian mystery series based on books.  It takes place in a skiing town  (Aosta) so the scenery is gorgeous.  The first episodes are the best because most of the focus is on the mysteries he's solving but it gets more PERSONAL later in the first season and in the second season.  It's still very watchable and I went through them fast but it was very male.  The women mostly exist to die or have sex with him.  The third season is coming out this month, though and I will watch in spite of that criticism. 

I've also been watching The Paris Murders.  It's about a quirky criminologist who helps the police solve crimes.  The mysteries are pretty basic but the French is very understandable to me (yes it's subtitled but I like to practice) so I like it.  The biggest bit of weirdness, though, is that Season 1 of the show is actually the show's fourth season.  Season 2 is the show's fifth season.  It makes no sense to me why they did that.  The first female lead was there from the beginning with a different male lead.  So if they wanted to use the first episode of the current male lead as a starting point, they would have chosen the third season, not the fourth.  But it's pretty fun and light hearted.

• Love 1
On 11/3/2020 at 6:51 AM, Jeeves said:

What hit the spot, was Rosemary & Thyme on Britbox. I'd watched most if not all the episodes a few years ago, but I enjoyed watching three or four episodes last night. I tend to not remember many details of shows like that. 

I watched this a few years ago when it was on  Netflix (or Amazon), and had NO idea that Laura Thyme was Sister Evangelina from Call the Midwife, OR evil Aunt Marge from Harry Potter.  Just floored. Wonderful actress - and completely different in all roles. Saw her pop up in something the other night on Britbox.

• Love 2

I just finished "No Offence" on Acorn and loved it!  The three leads (all women) carried all three seasons.  It aired in 2018 and I saw where it was expected to be renewed but no word on if it was.  I think it was made in 2018; don't know if it is finished or if The Pandemic may have interfered with filming.  I was enjoying it so much that I tried not to binge (wanted it to last).

• Love 3
14 hours ago, Kemper said:

I just finished "No Offence" on Acorn and loved it!  The three leads (all women) carried all three seasons.  It aired in 2018 and I saw where it was expected to be renewed but no word on if it was.  I think it was made in 2018; don't know if it is finished or if The Pandemic may have interfered with filming.  I was enjoying it so much that I tried not to binge (wanted it to last).

No Offence is my favorite of all of the shows on Acorn and Britbox. The character of DI Deering is one for the ages. Unfortunately, some of the cast announced via Twitter that it was canceled after Season 3. Still makes no sense to me at all because there was so much more story to tell. 

• Love 2