Type keyword(s) to search

Detective and Mystery Shows

zxy556575
  • Start Topic

Just started watching a new Australian mystery North Shore which I'm really enjoying.  The daughter of the British Trade Minister is murdered in Sydney where she's working during her gap year.  I really like the British detective who is sent over from London to observe the investigation and it's always nice to see a beautiful city like Sydney.

I can't get into Dalgleish.  I thought the mysteries last season were good but the sidekick was so annoying.  Although he's gone this season I was so bored with the show.  Dalgleish shows little personality.  Maybe it would have helped if I had read the books.

Did anybody watch "Replacement" with Morven Christie and Vicky McClure? I like both actresses but was disappointed. While the performances were good, the storyline was weak and was really rushed in the third and final episode to tie everything together. 

Still, it was nice to see VM in a role other than playing a cop.

On 3/6/2022 at 6:42 AM, abbyzenn said:

I've watched all 3 episodes of Murder in Provence.  I liked it - beautiful scenery (which they show alot even the scenes of Aix are gorgeous.  I thought the mysteries were fine.  I don't like the lead actor, the first time I saw him was on an episode of Foyles War and he was an awful man and that's clouded my view of him so when I see him I think of that character.  However, I like that the lead couple is older.  I would recommend watching this.

I also watched the first episode of the second season of Van der Valk.  I really like this series and especially enjoy seeing Amsterdam.   

I finished watching The Chelsea Detective and I really liked it.

All three of these shows only have 3 episodes (although each episode is 90 minutes) and I find that just too few for a season.

They are 3 self-contained episodes.  The characters are the same but the cases are different and there's no sustained plots through them.

I don't think the cases are too interesting.  The third one was kind of melodramatic as they came face to face with the murderer while in the other episodes they caught up to the perpetrator without TV dramatics.

They have these languorous shots and sequences which conjure a very romantic sense of place.  Very good use of establishing shots, of landscape and terrain.

It's jarring though, English cast playing French characters and they use all kinds of anglicisms.

On 11/12/2022 at 1:36 PM, dleighg said:

My goodness, IMDB got a workout for me on this show! (I'm terrible at remembering where I've seen someone, other than "I've seen him somewhere"). I really liked it, and also found myself googling all sorts of things from the historical period..

On 11/13/2022 at 7:43 AM, khyber said:

During any British show I'm always on IMDB trying to place everyone.😃

I recognize DCS Ian St. Clair as the Governor from Walking Dead.

But a bunch of other British shows over the years.  Other members of the cast too.

BBC generates so many good shows but seems a limited set of actors being cast.

• Like 1

I am doing a binge of Inspector Lewis on Amazon Prime. There are a max of 6 episodes per season so it is not overwhelming. The mysteries are generally interesting and the characters of Lewis and his sidekick, Hathaway, are well developed.

Since this series started years ago, there are a lot of early co-stars who are now much more prominent actors in various British dramas. It's fun to pick them out. 

The actor who plays Hathaway apparently is a right-wing whacko in Britain who has been quite outspoken about public policies such as Covid. Knowing that information does make it a bit harder to watch his performances.

• Like 5

Just finished watching No Escape on Paramount +.  It takes place on a yacht in the Philippines and the seas between there and Australia so there's a lot of gorgeous scenery.  It starts off with with Australian coast guard finding the yacht with some dead bodies on it and then the police questioning a young woman who had been on the yacht.  I didn't find any of the characters particularly likeable but the story was intriguing and held my interest.

Another show I'll plug is Drops of God.  It does have it's own thread in Other Dramas but only a couple of posts.  It's not in the mystery category of dead bodies but there is a mystery to the story.  A very rich man dies (natural causes) and leaves his 150 million dollar wine collection to which ever his estranged daughter or his protege can solve the puzzle he left.  It takes place in Japan, France and Italy.  For once this was a show that had an ending I loved.

On 6/12/2023 at 7:51 AM, LisaM said:

I am doing a binge of Inspector Lewis on Amazon Prime. There are a max of 6 episodes per season so it is not overwhelming. The mysteries are generally interesting and the characters of Lewis and his sidekick, Hathaway, are well developed.

Since this series started years ago, there are a lot of early co-stars who are now much more prominent actors in various British dramas. It's fun to pick them out. 

The actor who plays Hathaway apparently is a right-wing whacko in Britain who has been quite outspoken about public policies such as Covid. Knowing that information does make it a bit harder to watch his performances.

I discovered this show in 2020. Robbie is my favorite fictional detective, he is such a kind man.   I also loved Robbie’s relationship with the pathologist Laura Hobson.  I kind of love this show in spite of Hathaway.  

• Like 4
10 hours ago, partofme said:

I discovered this show in 2020. Robbie is my favorite fictional detective, he is such a kind man.   I also loved Robbie’s relationship with the pathologist Laura Hobson.  I kind of love this show in spite of Hathaway.  

I am starting Season 8 now. Love the progress of the Robbie/Laura relationship. 

• Like 2
On 11/18/2021 at 1:11 PM, abbyzenn said:

I've watched the first Dalgliesh story.  The mystery was good but Dalgliesh shows absolutely no personality and the sidekick is annoying.  

Watched the first story last night. I don't know, I kind of liked Dalgleish (the character)--he seems super-serious, super-smart, and competent, which in my view is a personality. The sidekick was loathsome at the beginning but began to prove himself worthy (a bit) by the end. 

• Like 3
On 6/24/2023 at 11:14 AM, Milburn Stone said:

Watched the first story last night. I don't know, I kind of liked Dalgleish (the character)--he seems super-serious, super-smart, and competent, which in my view is a personality. The sidekick was loathsome at the beginning but began to prove himself worthy (a bit) by the end.

Who is the sidekick? To me it’s Kate, who I like. Do you mean the male DS who was different from the first season (who was also a bit loathesome)?

• Like 2

I watched the first two-part episode of Ridley on PBS Masterpiece (Amazon Video). It stars Adrian Dunbar from Line of Duty as a DI who retired after the tragic deaths of his wife and daughter. He gets called back by his former DS to help solve a cold case. The mystery itself was good and the cast was interesting. There are 3 other two -part episodes which are not yet available on PBS Masterpiece but are available if you subscribe to PBS Passport. 

• Like 1
21 hours ago, mledawn said:

Who is the sidekick? To me it’s Kate, who I like. Do you mean the male DS who was different from the first season (who was also a bit loathesome)?

Hi, @mledawn. I mean the sidekick in the very first story of the first season, the one that takes place in a hospital where a nurse-in-training is murdered. Since he had something of a "redemption arc" by the end of the episode, it seemed they might be grooming him to appear in future stories. Which does not seem to be the case.

• Like 1
On 6/24/2023 at 10:14 AM, Milburn Stone said:

The sidekick was loathsome at the beginning but began to prove himself worthy (a bit) by the end. 

No, he's just loathsome.

57 minutes ago, Milburn Stone said:

Even though he provided Dalgliesh with the one bit of information that allowed him to solve the mystery?

Providing info doesn't make anyone less loathsome.

I just realized that Shakespeare and Hathaway has a Season 4.  I guess they had taken a break during Covid.  I watched the first episode, it's a very lightweight show but the cast and their repartee is always fun.   I couldn't figure out in the first episode if they had really caught the killer because it happened so fast, but the shows only run 45 minutes, half as long as an episode of Vera or Brokenwood for instance. 

Will have to catch up with the rest.

• Like 1
  • Useful 1
On 7/2/2023 at 9:22 PM, roseha said:

the shows only run 45 minutes, half as long as an episode of Vera or Brokenwood for instance. 

IMO, both those shows would be immeasurably better if they were half the length. (I watch them both and find things to like, and all those things would still be there. IIRC, there actually was a Brokenwood episode that was only an hour, and it was better.)

I just finished episodes 3 and 4 of Ridley. It was okay (particularly because I couldn't find anything else to watch) but nothing special. I like the relationship between Carol and her family but find Ridley himself to be a nothing. Julie Graham, who is usually great, is wasted here. 

• Love 1

I have only watched two episodes of Ridley now and agree with you. It's the same tired trope of a washed-up detective who tragically lost his wife, lured out of retirement, etc. While Adrian Dunbar has a pleasant singing voice, working his singing into each episode seems forced. Liked him so much better in "Line of Duty" and "Blood." 

Happy to see London Kills is back for Season 4. Also just wrapped up Season 2 of The Tower. Really enjoyed it. 

• Like 1
  • Love 1

Season 26 of silent witness is on BritBox now. 

I feel like the stories have been degrading in quality for several seasons (including season 25 which just felt like one long, weird extra special episode). The plots are overly elaborate and the continuity in characterization is awful, and there are frequently questions left unanswered at the end of a story. Plus, I’m sorry, but there’s a reason that SW hasn’t launched David Caves’ career in the same way it has launched others, and that reason is that his acting is really, really bad. 

That said, I’m happy to note that so far, for me, S26 is the best season in several years. The stories have been interesting and easy to follow, and I really like both of the new characters they’ve added to the cast. I’ve watched 2 of the 5 stories and hope the trend continues. 

• Like 3

Just watched the first season of 'Innocent' on Acorn. I mainly tuned in because it stars Lee Ingleby, whose performance as Det. John Bacchus in 'George Gently' is a favorite of mine.

Though hardly in the category of 'Gently', it was pretty intriguing, even though I figured out who the culprit was by episode 3. 

There is a second season, with a different mystery and cast, so I'll check that out.

• Like 1
55 minutes ago, sempervivum said:

There is a second season, with a different mystery and cast, so I'll check that out.

I watched the first season on Acorn and enjoyed it well enough, but I don't see a second season there. What am I missing?

2 hours ago, dleighg said:

I watched the first season on Acorn and enjoyed it well enough, but I don't see a second season there

Oops! I didn't look at the Acorn menu, just googled it. I'm sure it'll show up at some point

• Like 1
On 7/17/2023 at 11:13 AM, CharlizeCat said:

I have only watched two episodes of Ridley now and agree with you. It's the same tired trope of a washed-up detective who tragically lost his wife, lured out of retirement, etc. While Adrian Dunbar has a pleasant singing voice, working his singing into each episode seems forced. Liked him so much better in "Line of Duty" and "Blood." 

Yes, I'm not a jazz fan anyway so found the awkwardly inserted singing scenes especially grating. It also bugged me that Ridley broke into a few of the suspects' places. He may not be a police officer anymore, but he is working with them in some official capacity so wouldn't his illegal entries potentially jeopardize any prosecution? I do like the DI's wife and their son, though. It's nice to see a detective character with a happy family situation for a change.

• Like 2
  • Love 1

Started watching Granite Harbour on Britbox. It is set in Aberdeen, Scotland and centers on a Jamaican military policeman who joins the local police force. It's not bad - and I love the Scottish accents. There are only 3 episodes. 

Has anybody watched "DI Ray" on PBS? I am three episodes in and am liking it less and less with each viewing. I just can't get behind any of the characters, especially the lead. I understand the message the writers are trying to convey, but Rach has a massive chip on her shoulder that manifests in all aspects of her life. 

I also hate detective shows where two partners inappropriately hook up, especially a boss and subordinate, and I don't understand Rach's fiance's motives.

There are only a few more episodes, so I will see the show through to the end, but if there's a Season 2, I'll pass. 

• Like 2

Finished Granite Harbour and Ridley this weekend. Granite Harbour was terrible: bad writing, storyline which made no sense, etc.... I did like the Scottish accents, however. I had higher hopes for Ridley considering the actors involved but that was almost as bad. 

Finishing the final episode of Magellan tonight (MHz Choice). This has been a good series about a French police inspector. It resembles Midsomer Murders. 

Eagerly awaiting the next seasons of Annika, Unforgettable and Van Der Valk. 

• Like 2
  • Useful 1
On 8/7/2023 at 2:03 PM, LisaM said:

Did you mean Unforgotten? Both that one and Van Der Valk start up again on PBS on Sept 3

• Like 1
  • Useful 1
On 7/20/2023 at 6:45 AM, mynextmistake said:

Plus, I’m sorry, but there’s a reason that SW hasn’t launched David Caves’ career in the same way it has launched others, and that reason is that his acting is really, really bad. 

He really is wooden, isn't he?

On 8/7/2023 at 2:03 PM, LisaM said:

I loved Annika and Unforgotten and am really anticipating the new seasons of both.

Couldn't watch Van Der Valk at all because I cannot stand Marc Warren.  Not that I think he's a bad actor but something about him gives me the creeps.  Maybe it was just the character he played in Jonathan Strange and Mr. Norrell but whatever it is, if he's in something, I can't watch it.

• Like 1

I just finished Season 1 of Hope Street. I enjoyed it apart from some awful characters like the mother of the head cop and the two idiot bar owners. I was excited by the cliffhanger, but I see the main character Leila is not even in Season 2 so I think I'm going to pass on it. I hate when shows do that.

I got caught up on Vera. Still my favorite of all the British detective shows.

Edited by Writing Wrongs

Just watched Darby and Joan.  I really liked it and the two leads.  I would love to spend an evening with them.  Beautiful scenery as they travel around Queensland Australia.  There's the mystery of Joan's husband's death (the reason why she's traveling) and each episode has a mystery - not necessarily a murder.

• Like 1

Britbox has shared the first image from S8 of Shetland

https://www.instagram.com/p/CwNw0O6s1x9/?utm_source=ig_web_copy_link

“Here’s your first look at #Shetland season 8! The new season stars Ashley Jensen as Met Police DI Ruth Calder, tasked with retrieving a murder witness. The official synopsis states: “Tosh must pause her investigation into a string of mysterious animal deaths to help DI Ruth Calder find the witness before it’s too late. However, Calder’s hostility to Shetland will challenge Tosh’s view of her adopted home and their journey into the darker recesses of Shetland's past and present will test this fragile, new partnership."

• Like 3
  • Love 1

Watched the first episode of Hinterland last night. Was kind of hoping it was going to be a continuing story rather than a self-contained episode, but it was pretty good. At times had an unwelcome thought that this was Shetland in Wales--even down to a Tosh semi-lookalike sidekick--but the scenery was awesome.

I can't wait for the real Shetland's return. Even with a different lead, I have confidence in the show runners to do their magic.

• Like 3

I've just finished a binge watch of London Kills on Acorn. I watched Series 1 back in the day when it was the only series released and liked it. Never got back to it. Dropped Acorn, recently re-upped with Acorn. Finally started it all over from the first episode. 

It's not horrible, IMO, or I couldn't have watched it all. I didn't even use the FF key all that much, apart from my rewatch of the first series when I realized I'd remembered what happened and didn't want or need to see it again. 

OTOH it's not great; the magical instant forensics and tech induced eyerolls. (Sure, Jan, a body's found in the morning and you've got crime scene DNA results and relevant info from area CCTV by evening . . . yikes.) The episode plots got a bit formulaic, but that's a hazard of all detective series. However at least they keep the pace moving. A name pops up and the next scene the person's sitting in the interview room or answering questions on the street. No plodding around looking for them, which is okay by me. 

I liked the story arcs across each series, some stronger than others. Not saying they are fabulous actors, but I liked the ensemble cast. Sharon Small's the most accomplished actor. I tired of Hugo Speer's voice pretty fast. I wish they had given Tori Allen-Martin material requiring more than two facial expressions. I kind of don't care if Bailey Patrick can act, I just loved watching him be kind of a teddy bear. Ahem. 

If this show comes back for a new series, I wouldn't mind if David Bradford (Hugo Speer) doesn't come back. I'd love to see a strong male character (with an actor to match) to play against Sharon Small. And also, I know they have a small budget, but they HAVE to give us new London street scenes. There was some good videography of London, and I loved seeing it, but they've reused those shots to the max. 

• Like 1

I'm trying to get my money's worth from my Acorn TV (re)subscription. This weekend after I finished London Kills, I watched The Chelsea Detective. I like it a lot: the location shots, London scenes, good core characters, good cast. 

IMO it would be even more watchable if the episodes were closer to an hour long than 90 minutes. I'd picked out the killer in one episode at the halfway mark, and resorted to the FF key as they chased their own tails for another 20 minutes. Heck, IIRC the killer's photo wasn't even on Max's case board, and I looked for it. 

I enjoyed Season 1. Season 2 has started to drop; Episode 1 has just been released. I watched it - or tried to - last night. Maybe it was just too late, but I thought it was boring AF and I kept falling asleep. I miss Sonita Henry. Who just owned the screen from the first minute she appeared, and did a fab job as Priya. 

Because it's a really new episode, I'll spoiler tag the rest of my comments about S2:E1.

Spoiler

The new DS, whose name I can't remember, is played by Vanessa Emme. Who did not own the screen at any time.

It may be down to a bad script. I found the episode lame, and the plot so unintelligible and so boring that I couldn't be bothered to try to decipher it. I may - or may not - try to rewatch it. Before I nodded off the first time, there seemed to be a robbery of fabulously! valuable! paintings! at a gallery owned by a super-wealthy! queen of Chelsea society!. Or something. During which a guy who may have been an employee? or a friend? was killed. Later on, after I woke up, there was an attempt on fabulously wealthy society queen's life. That was kind of ingenious and I was surprised that she survived.

It's probably just me. But I'm too old and have read and watched far too many whodunits and police procedurals over my lifetime. I'm rarely able these days, to engage with a plot that centers around some fabulously valuable jewel or painting and a threat to the life of some billionaire b8tch. The first season didn't go there. The Season 1 plots, however they got messed around to fill the too-long format, at least were about people living more realistic lives, with jobs and all. 

• Like 1