Type keyword(s) to search

Jill, Derick & the Kids: Moving On!!

Shout out to everyone participating in the conversation about Jill’s miscarriage/stillbirth. You’re navigating a difficult topic with respect and thoughtfulness and your contributions are kind, considerate, constructive and informative. 

Thank you. 💚💚

• Start Topic

I hate to say it but I really doubt Jill - or anyone else - is keeping that house awfully clean. A - if she was, she wouldn't have nearly so much time for texting and hubby-lunching. B - let's face it - the Duggars have never shown themselves to be all that concerned with housekeeping. I'm not a germaphobe by any stretch, but I'm not a moron either and in all seriousness, I know if I ever visited the TTH, I'd be extremely careful about what I touched. And would be "Purell-ing" my hands the moment I got back in my car to leave. I think the "skeeve" factor in most parts of that house must be off the charts.

I'd be extra careful around the counters in the TTH. You don't know who has been walking on them. IIRC, in a lot of the scenes, Grandma is shown wiping down the counters. Hope she uses full strength Clorox.

Derrick looks like a stoner in this pic

When I first saw the picture, he reminded me of something - you nailed it!

I'd be extra careful around the counters in the TTH. You don't know who has been walking on them. IIRC, in a lot of the scenes, Grandma is shown wiping down the counters. Hope she uses full strength Clorox.

When I first saw the picture, he reminded me of something - you nailed it!

Gee, I wasn't thinking "stoner."  I was thinking of the Muppets - Dr Bunsen Honeydew's lab assistant, Beaker.  No kidding. Maybe I've spent too much time with little kids - LOL.

• Love 2

Not just a wet t-shirt but shorts too. This makes me happy. Baby steps, to be sure, but at least Jill has a husband who doesn't follow all of the nonsensical Duggar  modesty rules.  AND she got to go to a Broadway show that was not religious in nature.  Glad to see she is getting to broaden her horizons a bit.

• Love 5

A woman I work with is due in late March, and her baby belly is huge, to the point where she looks like she's due any day. I put it down to the fact that not only has she been told that it looks like she might have a 10 pounder, she also hasn't put on any other weight anywhere. She's still tiny, except for the huge baby bump. So Jill doesn't seem that weird to me, as I'm seeing the same thing everyday on someone else.

• Love 3

Regarding Baby Dilly's size - I've said this before, I wonder if she's been tested for gestational diabetes? I know this can cause a large baby.

Yes this can but I am pretty sure it doesn't develop until around week 24 or 25 and I don't think she's that far along yet. Another possibility is an excess of amniotic fluid. With my last child I was larger than I'd be with my others and when my water broke at the beginning of labor my belly shrunk down to a little ball. It was bizarre. She doesn't look big anywhere else so she might just carry that way or be having a big baby. I do hope she is tested for GD though. It's not common but can be very dangerous which is why it's one of the few tests even my home birth midwives require. Of course they are CNMs and Jill is probably seeing a lay midwife.

Jill seems to be standing normally here, not deliberately extending her belly at all. No need to - the form-fitting shirt does that quite nicely instead. Stunned to see her in this outfit with the girls and belly so prominent. In their world, isn't this a major Nike?? Continually struck by the hypocrisy of this family. And Derick in a wet tee-shirt too? Holee-molee.

I figure the tight shirt is allowed since it shows BABY... which is the most important thing in the world.

• Love 2

Yes this can but I am pretty sure it doesn't develop until around week 24 or 25 and I don't think she's that far along yet. Another possibility is an excess of amniotic fluid. With my last child I was larger than I'd be with my others and when my water broke at the beginning of labor my belly shrunk down to a little ball. It was bizarre. She doesn't look big anywhere else so she might just carry that way or be having a big baby. I do hope she is tested for GD though. It's not common but can be very dangerous which is why it's one of the few tests even my home birth midwives require. Of course they are CNMs and Jill is probably seeing a lay midwife.

That's interesting about the amniotic fluid. I would hope whoever Jilly is seeing for prenatal care would send her for further testing if they thought it was a problem. I wonder if she's seeing the midwife that oversaw her training & was the wedding coordinator (can't think of her name). Is she a lay or certified midwife? I hope Jill's beliefs don't prevent her from having the necessary prenatal tests. I read a story on line about a couple that had a homebirth with no problems but hours later (after midwives left) the baby died from complications of the moms untreated positive Beta strep. I don't remember if mom wasn't tested or if results didn't make it to her provider so she could be treated with antibiotics. Either way, results were horrible.
  • Love 1

That's interesting about the amniotic fluid. I would hope whoever Jilly is seeing for prenatal care would send her for further testing if they thought it was a problem. I wonder if she's seeing the midwife that oversaw her training & was the wedding coordinator (can't think of her name). Is she a lay or certified midwife? I hope Jill's beliefs don't prevent her from having the necessary prenatal tests. I read a story on line about a couple that had a homebirth with no problems but hours later (after midwives left) the baby died from complications of the moms untreated positive Beta strep. I don't remember if mom wasn't tested or if results didn't make it to her provider so she could be treated with antibiotics. Either way, results were horrible.

Group B-strep is another test my midwives require. I was trying to remember the ones that were - Group B, GD, rh factor were three that I remember for sure. Of course it's illegal to require any medical care but my midwives will not see you as a patient if you refuse those. It's hard to know what kind of care she's getting. Obviously from other scenarios they are not anti-medical. Some religions would have let Josie die because they don't believe in doctors at all. Low intervention pregnancy/delivery means so many different things it's hard to know what it means to them.

• Love 1

Some women carry really forward and some carry very far back. My son was very far back, and I never really showed until my ninth month, when I had preeclampsia and had water weight gain (which Jill does not have here) and he was completely normal weight.

• Love 1

A woman I work with is due in late March, and her baby belly is huge, to the point where she looks like she's due any day. I put it down to the fact that not only has she been told that it looks like she might have a 10 pounder, she also hasn't put on any other weight anywhere. She's still tiny, except for the huge baby bump. So Jill doesn't seem that weird to me, as I'm seeing the same thing everyday on someone else.

It's crazy how that works because my co-worker's wife had a pretty small bump even in the later stages of her pregnancy, unless you saw her from the side you couldn't even tell she was pregnant. I think women just carry differently. I think Jill is one of those women who's all stomach, whereas someone like Anna puts weight on all over.

• Love 4

I like that the soccer ball Derrick is holding is at the same level as Jill's round belly. Nice placement of a prop. It helps pull the eye down to her accomplishment. It's not as good as the flower vase "crown" she "wore" in Jessa's wedding photo, but it's still effective.

Edited by BradandJanet

I wonder what Christmas traditions Cathy, Derick & Dan have? I'm sure the boys were raised believing in Santa, Frosty & the Grinch in addition to their Christian beliefs. Will Derick want Baby Dilly & his future siblings raised with these beliefs too or will Jill put her foot down & say No way - the Birth of Jesus is the ONLY way our children will celebrate Christmas? As head of household, can be override her?

All this is speculation on my part. Just something that came to mind while wrapping gifts with Santa wrapping paper.

• Love 1

It's quite possible that Derick was raised with all of the traditional American Christmas stories but never grew up believing in Santa Claus. It's pretty clear his mother is a lot more religious than we first thought (her comments about illness being a demonic attack are pretty non-mainstream) so his Southern Baptist upbringing was probably pretty conservative (small c.). They may carve out a similar space for their own children.

• Love 1

I figure the tight shirt is allowed since it shows BABY... which is the most important thing in the world.

Jill will be 28 weeks on Tuesday.

I notice Derick's brother isn't in the prayer picture. As I said earlier, I think Derick was raised more religious than we were originally lead to believe, and it's the other Dillard son who has really moved away from the family teaching.

• Love 2

I am NOT a Duggar fan but well...come on girls....I have had two children....I carried small first time but my second child laid sideways and I looked like I had 3 basketballs in my stomach. I get the whole snarking on the Duggars...but as women we really cannot help how we carry..I have not looked at Jill as being overly pregnant...she is just pregnant. Like I said...I am NOT a fan...but I think that we as the audience are over reacting to her pregnancy....I mean really...would we want people to pick apart how horrible we looked when we were pregnant?

[snip]

Edited by Rhondinella
  • Love 13

I notice Derick's brother isn't in the prayer picture. As I said earlier, I think Derick was raised more religious than we were originally lead to believe, and it's the other Dillard son who has really moved away from the family teaching.

Good observation on both Dan missing from the picture & him possibly pulling away from the religion.

On the first picture of Jerick sitting on ground kissing, I notice Jilly is doing the fish pucker kiss. Anna must have given her pointers on that one. Ok, I'll give her a break as she was still in the learning phase. I also think it's weird the way her hands are across her stomach. It's probably just one of those Oh what do I do with my hands moment, but I'm just waiting for her to start twiddling her thumbs.

I go through this weird mental dilemma when people bring up that Jill is bossy or wears the pants.

The part of me that hates the patriarchal women need to follow men philosophy that the Duggars have to follow is like, well suck it! Women can be leaders too! Men aren't necessarily dominant by nature, and there is nothing wrong with a woman not being passive and being the more assertive one!

Then the part of me that dislikes the Duggars is horrified because that means that her family and way of life will win, and in theory Derick may be more sensible because he is from a different family, so I trust him more somewhat, and don't want him to get sucked into the weird Duggar world too much.

Then the sensible part of me thinks that in normal relationships it should be a partnership with no one really wearing the said pants.

So, shrug.

Edited because I called Derick Ben. Guess that shows how much of an impression he has made on me.

Edited by Janet Snakehole
  • Love 3

In the People spread, why does Jill have a thin belt under her boobs when the dress has a waist around her natural waist? It's like she was trying to create an empire waist out of a dress that already had a clear waistband. Odd & unflattering.

In the People spread, why does Jill have a thin belt under her boobs when the dress has a waist around her natural waist? It's like she was trying to create an empire waist out of a dress that already had a clear waistband. Odd & unflattering.

I just don't think she knows how to put herself together (I'm sure creating the empire waist to show off baby Dilly was part of it, too). 

That shade of blue is really flattering on her, and she could have looked really nice in that dress, but she just doesn't know how to dress herself. It's like she's tone deaf -- but about clothes, not music.

It's a nice color for her. The belt is nice. The color and the texture of the belt contrast nicely with the blue. Yet, she looks like she was dressed by a toddler -- and she always looks like that.

Derick should be able to take is pretty young wife out on the town, and be proud to be with her. Maybe next time they're in NYC he can introduce her to Stacey and Ckinton.

• Love 1

Actually when I saw the photo I thought of Stacey & Clinton- they often say to accentuate the smallest part of the waist, which in many women is right under the boobs. However, they were not talking about a pregnant figure!! And like I said, the dress already has a waist- it's not like she was drawing in a loose, flowy fabric.

I agree that the belt just screams "look at me, I'm pregnant!"

Edited by Mrsjumbo
  • Love 2

I blame Pinterest. Belts are everywhere on that site. Over cardigans, under cardigans, under boobs, thin belts, thick belts. UGH!

I (shame on me) watch enough shows on TLC to think that the fish face kiss is fairly prominent across the board. I honestly have no idea why, but all of the newly married couples on shows there seem to do it.

• Love 1

I (shame on me) watch enough shows on TLC to think that the fish face kiss is fairly prominent across the board. I honestly have no idea why, but all of the newly married couples on shows there seem to do it.

Pinterest suffers from fish face kisses too.

Because PREGNANCY! She did everything she could to show off Baby Dilly from the day the pee on the stick dried.

I commented a while ago about how the girls don't tuck their shirts in or wear belts that often. I realized this after they did wear them with the bridesmaids dresses. I thought maybe belts & tucking in shirts were a Gothard fashion no-no since it draws attention to the waist. I think in this case, it was just a Baby Dilly shout out. IIRC, Anna had the same fashion look when she was pregnant. These gals should just wear poster boards from Day 1 stating their pregnant & be done with it.

I do think blue looks good on her. I loved the blue dress she wore on the cover of People when they announced the pregnancy. I'm sure it came out of the People fashion closet. Could it be the same dress? (Sorry, don't feel like searching)

• Love 1

I am NOT a Duggar fan but well...come on girls....I have had two children....I carried small first time but my second child laid sideways and I looked like I had 3 basketballs in my stomach. I get the whole snarking on the Duggars...but as women we really cannot help how we carry..I have not looked at Jill as being overly pregnant...she is just pregnant. Like I said...I am NOT a fan...but I think that we as the audience are over reacting to her pregnancy....I mean really...would we want people to pick apart how horrible we looked when we were pregnant?

I completely agree. She's growing a child. She shouldn't feel ashamed or like she needs to wear a mumu. But, if she wanted to do that, go ahead.

I don't get bothered if she wants to show off her baby bump. It's her body, and she can dress how she wants. If her doctor sees an issue about posture or something, that's their business, especially since right now it's speculation. (All my opinion of how I feel, not demanding other people change their view)

• Love 4

I also don't care whether or not people agree....I am thick skinned...but I think that aside from the snark...we need to be realistic as how some of us carry our babies.

I don't think she looks bad at all. She just looks farther along than she is. [snip] It's a typical conversation people have when they are pregnant - how they either look bigger, smaller, weird from the side, all in the front etc. I think she looks very good... She's just carrying big and in front. 

Edited by Rhondinella
  • Love 2

So, am I the only woman here who jumped into maternity clothes as soon as she could with her first baby? My mother-in-law could practically have been a couture seamstress. I was 3-months pregnant at Christmas and she made me an entire wardrobe, all coordinating and in my best colors. I just opened box after box. Luckily I had already shared at work, so I was right in them though girl friends told me I would be all mighty sick of those clothes if I wore them for the next 6 months. They were right about that. Still, it was really, really fun at the time. 

Edited by mbutterfly
  • Love 7

I actually think the outfit is cute. Although it might depend on the shoes. But the belt breaks up the single color of the outfit and just adds a little something. But she still needs a good hair trim to clean up those ends. I also wouldn't do a necklace as my main jewelry when I'm wearing a high belt like that. Earrings instead, and maybe a bracelet. But fashion is also very personal, some people just like certain styles and others don't.

That blue dress was finally a decent adult looking one. She ruined it with the "beach sandals" she paired it with. She needed some grown up shoes like some simple pumps. It was chilly in NY that day. The Duggars always manage to ruin a potentially good outfit in some manner.

• Love 2

That blue dress was finally a decent adult looking one. She ruined it with the "beach sandals" she paired it with. She needed some grown up shoes like some simple pumps. It was chilly in NY that day. The Duggars always manage to ruin a potentially good outfit in some manner.

I agree. She needs to grow up including how she dresses, especially when out in public at a New York show. We know she doesn't like shoes & even if she doesn't like pumps, there are plenty of dressy flats or low heeled shoes out there. I keep thinking about those hideous flowers she used to wear in her hair. I know others have said she isn't the only one that wears them, but I don't think any grown woman should. A simple hair band or barrettes would look nice instead of the "look at me" flower. I think the Bates' girls look much more put together fashion wise than the Duggar girls ever will.

• Love 3

I'm relieved to hear other people liked her blue dress. I thought it looked nice but then again, I'm not a fashion plate. I often watched 'What Not to Wear' and thought the 'before' looked just fine - or worse - had stuff just like that LOL.

Edited by 3girlsforus
  • Love 4