Type keyword(s) to search

Jill, Derick & the Kids: Moving On!!

Shout out to everyone participating in the conversation about Jill’s miscarriage/stillbirth. You’re navigating a difficult topic with respect and thoughtfulness and your contributions are kind, considerate, constructive and informative. 

Thank you. 💚💚

• Start Topic

I guess the backlash has gotten to be too much for Derick. His instagram has gone from public to private. 

So, the underground missionary is now the underground Instagram poster.  Is this guy paranoid of what?  Seriously, what is he smoking???????

His bio now reads 'cowboy'?

Last thing he posted:

eyimYf7.jpg

What a hard mission trip! and look how his bother misses him!

Doesn't running a fraudulent charity kind of limit your future career options? You know, when Derick eventually has to get a real job.

The missionary hard at work.  No wonder he wants to hide his Instagram posts!!!!!  So glad you captured this.

• Love 4

Whenever I see Derilicks eyes I'm reminded of somebody who smokes a lot of weed.

That thought has crossed my mind, but I didn't want to actually say it.  (So, good for you!)  That's actually one of the main attractions, among other substances, of backpackers in Nepal!

Derick always looks a little dazed and sleepy.  He hasn't had a job since June, which is four months!.  Why is he sleepy????  Way too much vacation time for a 26-year-old if you ask me, which you didn't.  LOL

• Love 5

Dillards-in-El-Salvador-July-Tumbler.jpg

I stole this picture from this article:
http://www.inquisitr.com/2487038/jill-duggar-and-derick-dillard-move-to-retalhuleu-guatemala

The pic is from the volunteer tour that baby-toting Jill and Derick took in July with S.O.S. Ministries.  The article doesn't mention this, but the three red-haired guys at the front are the kids of the founder of S.O.S., Mike Schadt. That poor little kid at the center of attention looks overwhelmed around all of those volunteers, especially Derick who looks like the Jolly Green Giant compared to the local Mayan people (who are stunted due to generations of malnutrition.)

I just don't understand what 'missionary' work there is to do in Central America, since the Catholics have been there for hundreds of years and just about converted everyone.

• Love 2

Why does the Dillard Family donations page have a number where you can request a refund? Are they getting hammered that bad?

That number goes to their spin doctor attorney at Legacy, the one who coached them before the Fox interview with Megyn Kelly and the one who actually was sending Jim Bob messages on his cell phone during the interview.  (Go watch the video again.)  He's the attorney for the merchant payment company (the credit card processing company).  If you look at the Privacy Terms, Jill and Derick can run a credit report on anyone who donates to their ministry.  That is illegal.  You can't do that without someone's express permission and, besides that, donors are not buying something on credit.  They can use that credit report to find out who has big bucks and who doesn't.  However, every time someone runs your credit report it can lower your credit score.  Every thing they do seems to hurt people.  

• Love 6

and the one who actually was sending Jim Bob messages on his cell phone during the interview.  (Go watch the video again.)

Jim Bob was looking that the phone's screen. You have no way of knowing what he was doing with it.

If you look at the Privacy Terms, Jill and Derick can run a credit report on anyone who donates to their ministry

Only if you've given them an SSN.

That is illegal.

Really? Even if you've agreed to those terms and conditions.

However, every time someone runs your credit report it can lower your credit score.

Only hard pulls. Not soft pulls.

• Love 2

That number goes to their spin doctor attorney at Legacy, the one who coached them before the Fox interview with Megyn Kelly and the one who actually was sending Jim Bob messages on his cell phone during the interview.  (Go watch the video again.)  He's the attorney for the merchant payment company (the credit card processing company).  If you look at the Privacy Terms, Jill and Derick can run a credit report on anyone who donates to their ministry.  That is illegal.  You can't do that without someone's express permission and, besides that, donors are not buying something on credit.  They can use that credit report to find out who has big bucks and who doesn't.  However, every time someone runs your credit report it can lower your credit score.  Every thing they do seems to hurt people.

Their entire "Privacy Policy" (https://give.cornerstone.cc/The+Dillards/Privacy) looks like boilerplate for websites doing something completely different than collecting donations. In fact, it looks a lot like it could have come from the car lot -- does that have a website? Note that they list social security # et cetera as examples of information that may be collected. . Their donation form does not, in fact, ask for any of that information.

I have no love for the Dillards and I'm loath to give them the benefit of any doubt, but in this case it looks like they're just idiots who copied the wrong boilerplate terms.

Ah, I think there may already have been a discussion of this, but if so I missed it. Sorry if I'm repeating.

• Love 2

When it came out that Dillard Ministry was asking for people's SSN I really felt that that put their donors in a very vulnerable position.  That's just not something you should give out and there would be no reason for the Dillard Family to need this information.  Sent out a huge red flag to me.  Let us have your SSN  with your name and address and credit card info while we travel overseas - somewhere, somewhere secret.  Yeah right, no.  

Who wants to throw them a Do Not Come Back party?  We can make it virtual.

• Love 9

So, if the Duggars announced that they "have cows"and Derick says he's a cowboy, I suspect he and Jill are in the Pool House and taking care of the cows. Easier there to get sister-moms to come help.

And I wonder if the Instagram is closed so the Dillards can pretend they are on their mission trip, to justify the money they've been sent. Because, after all, we believe everything they say, right? Nothing to see here, citizen.

Derick just made his Instagram private. The "Public" aspect was shut down for one very simple reason. He's a weenie. He didn't want to see any more of what the vast majority of the "Public" was saying to and about him. It bothers him and standard fundie procedure - or at least standard Duggar procedure - is to bury one's head in the sand ASAP and pretend it's just not happening. If their mission is legitimate, all he needed to do was to provide the information the donors and leghumpers want. It's that simple. But he knows he has no way to do that.

Edited by Wellfleet
  • Love 6

The Dillard Family Ministries website just added a phone number for people to request a refund. Yikes! That bad, huh?

Edited by Guest

His Instagram is still showing as public for me?

People who were followers before it went private can still see it. I wasn't and it's locked down for me. 

When it came out that Dillard Ministry was asking for people's SSN I really felt that that put their donors in a very vulnerable position.  That's just not something you should give out and there would be no reason for the Dillard Family to need this information.  Sent out a huge red flag to me.  Let us have your SSN  with your name and address and credit card info while we travel overseas - somewhere, somewhere secret.  Yeah right, no.  

Am I forgetting something? I thought that it was demonstrated at some point that they don't ask for SSNs. That the mention of SSNs just part of the boilerplate legal privacy language that's on the site but not part of their donation process. I'm almost certain that somebody somewhere went through the donation process and discovered this.....

• Love 6

If TLC is, indeed, filming specials centered around the Dillards and Benessa, Jill is no doubt in Arkansas awaiting the birth of baby Benessa, which will be filmed. Her presence as a midwife will be a big part of the show. The going away party was filmed when it was convenient for TLC, and the footage will be used when (if) the Dillards ever return to whatever it is they were briefly doing in Central America, which appears to be not much.

These girls grew up with their lives on tv. It's what they know, and they will gladly film phony events or events out of sequence if that's what TLC wants. It's a travesty that they are deemed deserving of a continuing presence on television. Their only claim to fame is having been born into an oversized family. They have no education, no skills, and nothing to offer. I hope the ratings for the 1st special are so low that TLC scraps the whole idea and sends these grifters back to the obscurity from which they came.

• Love 8

Am I forgetting something? I thought that it was demonstrated at some point that they don't ask for SSNs. That the mention of SSNs just part of the boilerplate legal privacy language that's on the site but not part of their donation process. I'm almost certain that somebody somewhere went through the donation process and discovered this.....

I'm pretty sure that when they first started asking for donations the SSN feature was there but when it was talked about and put down by people they removed it.  

Lame. 

"Hey, the Dillards get hits! Let's keep constructing and publishing new speculations by hooking together a few not-necessarily-relevant facts and other speculations!"

Nothing wrong with speculation for amusement or as a way to think things through, but not when you pretend you're journalism.

• Love 3

I have to admit, I'm very confused. A going away party, Jessa due in 3 weeks, long term mission, donor site, "commissioned" to leave, the pool house, a refund button, and yet no statement from J & D. Even TLC knows this looks pretty bad. This makes no sense to me.

Make a friggin statement! Either you're going or you're not. Either you're waiting for BamBam to be born or you're not. Say something!

• Love 9

I have to admit, I'm very confused. A going away party, Jessa due in 3 weeks, long term mission, donor site, "commissioned" to leave, the pool house, a refund button, and yet no statement from J & D. Even TLC knows this looks pretty bad. This makes no sense to me.

Make a friggin statement! Either you're going or you're not. Either you're waiting for BamBam to be born or you're not. Say something!

What if they're staying for teevee reasons?

Seems that it would be unprecedented for anybody in this family or any other "reality tv" cast to announce something like that? I don't remember it ever happening. It's like on Project Runway, when they always say "in the last week we've been very x, y, z" when you know it's really only been for the last two days.

So I'm assuming the reality-tv people sign contracts that forbid them from saying anything that would dirty the timeline story that their tv show has chosen to depict? And if they do -- I can imagine that it might sometimes be really hard to figure out what statement to make to both account for what you're doing but not give away the fact that you're doing it to make a tv-show timeline look accurate .... (particularly if, like these two, you're not too clever ... )

Just a thought. ...

(Certainly no Duggar has ever had to come up with such a cover-story-for-teevee-timing story before, have they? But now that they're under fire.... I can imagine J and D being pretty shocked and stymied by this new reality of being on reality tv. Here's hoping it scares them into never wanting to be on it again. Although I guess Jim Bob would have something to say about that.)

Edited by Churchhoney

I agree that reality tv timelines are grey.  I don't really care when shows put activities taped on different days in the same episode, but flat out lying about missionary work and how they used money is too much and criminal. 

Jill and Derick have already dirtied the timeline with their social media presence.  They and their family have posted the Dillards' movements on instagram and popular gossip sites (and the internet sleuthers) have picked it up on occasion.  Derick even posted about the farewell "thank you donors" party.  It would be in the Dillards', and to an extent TLC's, best interests to release a statement about when they'll return to Central America or if they've set aside the money donated for actual field work. The Dillards are so quick to post about everything else in their lives that their silence on this is glaring.  I wonder if their super fans would be upset if they saw discrepancies between the real timeline and tv timeline?  

ETA: The Dillards may have been naive going into it and never intended to be shady, but they are edging into master grifter territory.  An honest timeline and telling the truth in their specials could actually allow them to salvage their reputation in some way.  Even their stans are questioning what's going on with them.

Edited by Cocka doodle dont
  • Love 9

*crying my fake Sobbyn Brown tears* at the thought that we that don't have IG or are friends with Derick will never be preve to what they do all day long, what they have for dinner nor pictures of Izzy's growth.

• Love 2

The Dillards are so quick to post about everything else in their lives that their silence on this is glaring.  I wonder if their super fans would be upset if they saw discrepancies between the real timeline and tv timeline?  

Ever since the news of Josh came out I found it strange that the whole family has been beyond quiet. Then Jill came back to posting. Made you remember them all over again. Something smells and it could be all the ink that Derick is burning doing "books" for Boob. Boob sure has been busy getting things "hidden" into trusts, setting up a processing business as well as who knows what??? 

• Love 4

If these people are so serious about their mission work and really are on the up and up with it, why doesn't Derick just go to wherever and start his work while Jill stays back with the baby until Jessa gives birth? It would go a long way towards alleviating some of their donors concerns to have at least one of them on the mission even if the Dillards still seem really shady about what their missionary work really entails.

• Love 9

I agree that reality tv timelines are grey.  I don't really care when shows put activities taped on different days in the same episode, but flat out lying about missionary work and how they used money is too much and criminal. 

Jill and Derick have already dirtied the timeline with their social media presence.  They and their family have posted the Dillards' movements on instagram and popular gossip sites (and the internet sleuthers) have picked it up on occasion.  Derick even posted about the farewell "thank you donors" party.  It would be in the Dillards', and to an extent TLC's, best interests to release a statement about when they'll return to Central America or if they've set aside the money donated for actual field work. The Dillards are so quick to post about everything else in their lives that their silence on this is glaring.  I wonder if their super fans would be upset if they saw discrepancies between the real timeline and tv timeline?  

ETA: The Dillards may have been naive going into it and never intended to be shady, but they are edging into master grifter territory.  An honest timeline and telling the truth in their specials could actually allow them to salvage their reputation in some way.  Even their stans are questioning what's going on with them.

Well, I expect they signed a strong contract agreeing never to say anything that would reveal the real timeline if it contradicted the timeline of the TLC show. It would certainly be in J and D's best interests to clarify, but TLC may not see it that way. They may see allowing a violation of such a contract as a precedent that they absolutely do not want to set.

Why would they care if they hang Jill and Derick out to dry? It's just more controversy for TLC and controversy usually drives ratings up, at least a bit. They might even hope that if Jill and Derick are seen as being shady they'll become more interesting to people. That could be a miscalculation, but maybe not, too. Without the current controversy, would their specials be getting so much media attention?

If these people are so serious about their mission work and really are on the up and up with it, why doesn't Derick just go to wherever and start his work while Jill stays back with the baby until Jessa gives birth? It would go a long way towards alleviating some of their donors concerns to have at least one of them on the mission even if the Dillards still seem really shady about what their missionary work really entails.

OMG, and leave Jill alone? I don't think so.Girlfriend would have a heart attack without her headship. She barely tolerated Derick working a regular 9-5 job right around the corner at WalMart.

She's a stage 5 clinger for sure.

• Love 7

Well, Jill didn't even seem very thrilled about having Derick drive over to Walmart for eight hours a day to work back when they were full-time in Arkansas. So doesn't it seem somewhat unlikely that now, a mere few months later and when she has an actual child to take care of, that she'd offer him the opportunity to go to a different country for 24 hours a day? That's really not the Duggar way. And Jill seems to like the Duggar way.

• Love 3

Well, I expect they signed a strong contract agreeing never to say anything that would reveal the real timeline if it contradicted the timeline of the TLC show. It would certainly be in J and D's best interests to clarify, but TLC may not see it that way. They may see allowing a violation of such a contract as a precedent that they absolutely do not want to set.

Why would they care if they hang Jill and Derick out to dry? It's just more controversy for TLC and controversy usually drives ratings up, at least a bit. They might even hope that if Jill and Derick are seen as being shady they'll become more interesting to people. That could be a miscalculation, but maybe not, too. Without the current controversy, would their specials be getting so much media attention?

Their contract might be restricting them from giving out too much detail, but in a way, through social media, they are providing a timeline. It's a visual statement. They don't have to release a written statement saying that they're hanging out in the US because we've seen their postings at Michael's wedding, Amy's wedding, Izzy with Michelle, the Krispy Kreme fiasco, Derick with a Kangaroo, etc.  Then fans posting about the Dillards at Silver Dollar City and other sightings. It isn't a written statement but it gives an idea of what they've been up to.  Also, know a bit of what they did in Central America from their photos and videos - there is still unknown there and if they filmed anything for TLC to use. 

It really depends on how TLC splices everything together if what we know about the Dillards' time in the US and missionary work in Central America contradicts what TLC is trying to sell us.  It just seems that the Dillards could provide a simple statement to clear things up a little bit.  Maybe they know the answers will just make things worse. If it is a contract issue that's a shitty contract.

I don't know if an audience will want to watch a special on Jill and Derick's missionary work if they think it's a fake.  Would the insinuation that the Dillards are misusing donations drive up viewership? It could end a TLC spin-off for them if there is enough backlash or they are shown to be flat out liars.  You're onto something that TLC might be going the sensational route and have commercials saying that all of our questions will be answered in the special.  On the other hand, TLC/the Dillards may have turned off people from watching who were sympathetic to them and are now disappointed with their actions.  TLC might think they can still make money off the Dillards/Seewalds after the initial specials so need to balance between raising viewer interest and fending off potential backlash.  

I do wonder how much publicity the specials will eventually get and which companies actually ends up sponsoring them.  

Edited by Cocka doodle dont
  • Love 5

100% agree. The whole deal is whacked. If it was a flow chart it would look like a can of worms. And Derick, wake up! It's the absence of honest information that's making you look so bad. For God's sake, stop listening to your FIL, and your wife - and grow a pair...

• Love 7

I'm really curious who is answering the phones at the Dillard Family Ministries refund hotline.

...Jana, is that you?

ETA: Pickles and Hairspray FB has a source that says Jill and Derick have an apartment in Antigua. 

Edited by Guest

Again, this never happened. They have not taken social security numbers, they have not run credit checks. Their donation form does not take and, as far as I know, never has taken this information.

They had (and still have, because apparently they really are idiots) a statement in the boilerplate legalese in their privacy policy that reserved the right to collect this information. That privacy policy looks to have been lifted directly from a different organization doing an entirely different type of business -- very possibly a car lot. It's unlikely that either Derick or Jill ever actually read through the statement at all.

It's easy to understand why people are concerned; their should be no reference at all to the possible collection of private information. There's no reason for it to be there. And now that they're being vilified for something they haven't even done, they should fix the damn thing. Seriously, they're going to have enough trouble accounting for the shit they have done. But, you know, they're Duggars. Their thought processes (if any) are beyond the ken of us heathens.

• Love 5

Churchhoney posted something earlier today about how controlling the Duggars are, and how difficult it can be for outsiders to really understand what is going on -- including Anna, Derick, and Bin.

I was thinking about that and it made me wonder about Derick and Jill's "mission."

I could easily see Derick getting really uncomfortable in the McMansion with the Duggars swarming him 24/7 and jumping at the chance to go on a mission -- even if it was SOS and not the fully sanctioned missionary arm of his church. I can also see JB, J'chelle, and Jill being suuportive. 

I can also see Derick completely losing control of this plan as JB and J'chelle set up a shell corporation to funnel donations to "Duggar Enterprises,"  pitched TV plots regarding the mission to TLC, and assigned daughters to "visit" them to "help with Izzy," etc. 

It's going to take a lot more than moving 1000 miles away to shake the Duggars.

• Love 7

Given their current controversy, that they turned out to not really be missionaries, how will the special go forward? Just showing last summer's "work", the silly sketch comes to mind.

• Love 1

ETA: Pickles and Hairspray FB has a source that says Jill and Derick have an apartment in Antigua. 

I don't find that.  Was it about the place they rented for two weeks to study Spanish when Joy-Anna and Carlin Bates Visited?

Given their current controversy, that they turned out to not really be missionaries, how will the special go forward? Just showing last summer's "work", the silly sketch comes to mind.

Yeah, I know. What the heck's going to be in these "specials"? .... Come to think of it, though, I'd say this question was raised long before people got mad at them. Everybody, including TLC, must have known that, even after they left for their "mission," the Dills would be out of C.A. and back in the states for a bunch of stuff -- including the other TLC special, various weddings, maybe Jill's completion of her midwife certificate, Jessa's birthing. ... Even without these flaps, all of that wasn't going to leave much time for them to be actually living a brand new life, on camera or not.

Makes me think that there was never much intention to put too much content into the specials beyond the stuff that they'd already filmed and that we saw a bit of when they were teasing the now-nonexistent "next season." Seems to me as if the specials were always intended to be just a trial balloon to use up footage they already had and to see how people would like a Duggar show that stayed mostly away from Jim Boob and Michelle and focused mainly on those thrilling married daughters. (I may just think this because it's what I was predicting they'd do months ago ... still...)  I don't know that TLC ever intended to put a whole lot of resources into beefing up the specials beyond adding a bunch of Seewald-baby stuff. After all, they'd clearly begun serious filming for a whole new season before the whole mess broke open. So I'm sure they had a lot of stuff.

100% agree. The whole deal is whacked. If it was a flow chart it would look like a can of worms. And Derick, wake up! It's the absence of honest information that's making you look so bad. For God's sake, stop listening to your FIL, and your wife - and grow a pair...

Unfortunately, I expect that he -- along with Bin and Anna -- was chosen for Jill in large part because Jim Boob accurately concluded that he wasn't a person for whom growing a pair would be easy. .... People of Jim Boob's ilk, even when they appear to be complete idiots, have uncanny abilities to zero right in on everybody's weaknesses that they can turn to their own purposes.

• Love 6

The Duggars' total lack of awareness is why this forum is chugging ahead at full steam even though the show isn't currently on the air. The snark material this family hands us on a daily basis is like a well that never runs dry.

Maybe Jared can be pen pals with Smuggar.

Seriously. I can't believe they posted the subway pic after that SNL skit. How on earth are they so clueless? I mean Jill i understand, but Derick is clearly missing some brain cells here. 

• Love 5

They sure are clutter pack-rat hoarder sorts, aren't they?

Ever since the camera crew went away the TTH seems constantly full of junk, and it's a huge house. The hosts of Hoarders are going to find a Lost Girl's skeleton in 2020.
  • Love 10