Type keyword(s) to search

Josh & Anna Smuggar: A Series of Unfortunate Events

• Start Topic

See, I don't think he got severance, but hope that the FRC had the heart to cover Anna's insurance as Churchie outlined above. It was just to sudden and too big of a story to sweep under the rug for him to quietly sneak away with compensation to just go away. Smuggar's announcement implies that he resigned, but the FRC might have allowed him to say what he wanted in return for immediate termination. 

• Love 1
5 hours ago, birkenstock said:

I would hope that the FRC would still cover a 7-month pregnant woman. For being so pro-life and pro-family, leaving a woman without insurance so close to her due date is really shitty. While it 100% falls on Josh and the FRC has the right to do so, it's sad that Anna was the one who had to face the consequences of having the backwoods homebirth. 

Would Anna and the kids be able to get Samaritan insurance even if Josh was prohibited? Also, does TLC have healthcare they can buy into?   

SmugAnna and family were likely able to continue their insurance through COBRA, which is offered to just about everyone, I think, when they lose their job. SmugAnna would have to pay for it themselves, but it exists so that people don't end up suddenly uninsured. I think it's available for at least 6 months. Hopefully they had enough money to buy it.

It occurs to me that now they should be eligible for Medicaid, shouldn't they? Unless Anna is making quite a bit of money from being on Counting On, they are basically unemployed. 

• Love 2
7 hours ago, OpieTaylor said:

SmugAnna and family were likely able to continue their insurance through COBRA, which is offered to just about everyone, I think, when they lose their job. SmugAnna would have to pay for it themselves, but it exists so that people don't end up suddenly uninsured. I think it's available for at least 6 months. Hopefully they had enough money to buy it.

It occurs to me that now they should be eligible for Medicaid, shouldn't they? Unless Anna is making quite a bit of money from being on Counting On, they are basically unemployed. 

Yeah, the TLC money definitely determines whether they can get Medicaid. I have no idea what TLC would be paying Anna for this show, though, and do we know that Josh isn't working at all? The kids and Anna when pregnant are fairly likely to be covered, I would think, but who knows? Here are the current Arkansas eligibility criteria for their Medicaid expansion under the Affordable Care Act:

"Who is eligible

Children from 0-18 with incomes up to 211% of FPL; pregnant women with incomes up to 209% of FPL; parents with incomes up to 133% of FPL; non-elderly adults with household incomes up to 133% of FPL; certain elderly and disabled individuals."

If TLC takes them above the Medicaid thresholds, though, they could still get relatively affordable coverage under the Affordable Care Act, if they chose to accept it, since I can't imagine that they're making very much from the network, with Anna being only a bit player. But who knows what Duggars will do? Here are some of the costs in Arkansas for lower-income people:

"88 percent of Arkansas consumers who were signed up qualified for an average tax credit of $280 per month through the Marketplace.

58 percent of Arkansas Marketplace enrollees obtained coverage for $100 or less after any applicable tax credits in 2015, and 85 percent had the option of doing so."

http://www.hhs.gov/healthcare/facts-and-features/state-by-state/how-aca-is-working-for-arkansas/index.html

• Love 2

But TLC just love the Duggars, especially when they reproduce. And surely anyone with half a brain would have their health insurance included in their contract, rather than buy it themselves. 

• Love 1

Would the Duggars even apply for a federal/state program?  Wouldn't they find that intrusive where they would have to share financial information with the evil government?  I know it worked out for snowflake Josie but it seems like they knew the costs were beyond them and Scamaritin but in general?  When the home births work out Just Fine?  Eventually.

• Love 1
12 hours ago, Sew Sumi said:

A shit ton, other than Scamaritan, where in both instances, they could pay only $400/mo. BUT you have to play by their rules, and they are strict as hell. 

http://samaritanministries.org/costs/monthly/

Guidelines. Relevant rules stuff starts on p.14:

http://samaritanministries.org/how-it-works/guidelines/

WHAT in the ever loving fuck is that?  So if you're divorced or a widow with no kids, you're on your own? Sounds like if you're really sick, you're screwed. It's basically worse than any other insurance, but I could see how the grift angle might appeal to the Duggars and their ilk.  Their convoluted idea of responsibility....and they get other people not really with much capacity to help their own families pay your bill??? 

WHO makes this shit up? We've got to be very careful who we choose as our elected leaders if this is going to be more commonplace. 

• Love 4

Nope, Smuggs wouldn't qualify ...not sure if that would disqualify Anna...I guess she's covered if she gets a divorce, but only because she has kids. Supposing he Dave her the clap, since she was blameless would they pay for her treatment, but not his? 

To the CDC, STDs are a public health concern. They won't quibble about who is at fault...boggles the mind....

• Love 2
44 minutes ago, lookeyloo said:

Would the Duggars even apply for a federal/state program?  Wouldn't they find that intrusive where they would have to share financial information with the evil government?  I know it worked out for snowflake Josie but it seems like they knew the costs were beyond them and Scamaritin but in general?  When the home births work out Just Fine?  Eventually.

You only have to share financial information if you want to see if you qualify for a subsidy. Otherwise, you can just pay full price for whichever plan you prefer.

3 hours ago, Arwen Evenstar said:

WHAT in the ever loving fuck is that?  So if you're divorced or a widow with no kids, you're on your own? Sounds like if you're really sick, you're screwed. It's basically worse than any other insurance, but I could see how the grift angle might appeal to the Duggars and their ilk.  Their convoluted idea of responsibility....and they get other people not really with much capacity to help their own families pay your bill??? 

WHO makes this shit up? We've got to be very careful who we choose as our elected leaders if this is going to be more commonplace. 

I know, right? That's why I noted the rules were strict as hell above. The Maxwells are all members.

(edited)
5 hours ago, Churchhoney said:

do we know that Josh isn't working at all?

Isn't he supposedly selling used cars parked on a piece of Duggar land? KJB is probably employing him under some Duggar Enterprises umbrella, along with Bin.  Oh, and there's the house flipping too - Smugs may be working on those (if they even exist).

Edited by OpieTaylor
  • Love 1

I'm in the no severance package camp.  Josh was either fired for cause or let to resign gracefully.  There was zero reason for FRC to give him a dime after that.  I don't think they would have experienced any blow back from their followers on the insurance issue either.  It was ALL Josh's fault after all.  Severance packages are usually used in situations where there is a staff reduction or someone needs a little nudge to exist sooner than expected.  They are much less common than it seems people tend to believe that they are. 

Jim Bob talked about in the past where they had regular insurance.  He bragged about having a family plan that covered them no matter how many children they had.  It seemed to be a standard BCBS plan where once you pass two family members in addition to self you're covered for however many.  My insurance is the same. 

• Love 1
(edited)

Josh was never actually charged or arrested, so I suspect there was nothing he was obliged to disclose. 

Then again, I have no idea how the minds and hiring practices of the FRC works. 

They could've had Chachi!

Edited by Kokapetl
(edited)
22 minutes ago, Absolom said:

I'm in the no severance package camp.  Josh was either fired for cause or let to resign gracefully.  There was zero reason for FRC to give him a dime after that.  I don't think they would have experienced any blow back from their followers on the insurance issue either. 

Oh, of course they wouldn't get blowback from their followers.

But I'm talking about their many very determined critics and enemies, who are always on the lookout for family-values-related hypocrisy coming out of FRC. There's no way they wouldn't have gotten major blowback from those critics, who are many and determined because they view FRC as a potent political enemy that they must take down. 

Such a story would have blown up in the press, at least in the Washington political press -- which matters a lot to FRC  -- for some of the same reasons the Josh story did -- because it would have been a flashpoint political story that also was an entertainment story, a people story and a story of big-time hypocrisy from a major political player.

They would definitely spend some thousands on an extension of insurance coverage to forestall that. And they didn't need to consider it pay to Josh. They would have considered it as both a means to cover FRC's ass and avoid bad press -- a massive consideration in DC -- and a way to help a young pregnant mother and her kids who weren't at fault in the matter. In my opinion, there's no way they'd be so silly and pinchpenny as to cut off that insurance when a simple and really quite cheap six- to eight-month extension of it would buy them protection from eagle-eyed liberal groups and the press jumping up and down on their ass for risking a childbirth healthcare tragedy that they might have prevented.

Edited by Churchhoney
  • Love 1

My insurance was the same.  One price for an individual and a huge jump for 2 and however many more you had.  Pissed me off.  Only remedy was to get my own insurance for self only and leave husband's plan.

I admit that my knowledge of US medical insurance is extremely sketchy and I find it somewhat confusing but I thought that Obamacare would sort of mean that everyone would have affordable insurance for medical needs. Like it would be impossible to refuse having coverage? Wouldn't Anna have had access to decent medical care through Obamacare even if the FRC cut off their work-related insurance plan?

• Love 1

Absolutely, but that doesn't mean that a Duggar would avail themselves to the open exchange. They would get Anna covered under Scamaritan before doing anything associated with the ebil Democraps (tm Rush Limpballs).

• Love 2
(edited)

The Affordable Care Act means that now insurance is available at comparatively affordable rates (compared to the individual rates that you could "get" before).  My rate went down last year, but I have the minimal plan ($485) with an annual $6250 deduction.  I am also sixty damn years old.  

If you have insurance you get lots of things at a group rate instead of the extra gouging that individuals get.  It's usually a difference of 40% - 50% in cost.  You also have an easier time being examined in ER, being admitted to a hospital, and getting take on by a new medical practice.  And I am sixty damn years old, so there are lots of tests and things.

The ACA also means that certain categories of pre-existing conditions (like a fully functioning female reproductive system) cannot be used to deny me coverage.  My lady parts are also sixty damn years old.

People who want to pay that small fine can gamble as they wish, but not having insurance in this country will still screw you when you need it.

As to the Smuggars, while I'm sure they would have been able to get COBRA, as I remember the premiums were about twice what my employer-subsidized premiums were.  And you have to write a check and get it in on time every month.  With a baby on the way it would have been absurd not to do it, but they like absurd chances.

Edited by kassygreene
Decided to add an on-topic paragraph.
  • Love 3

I worked for an OB/Gyn group but not in the billing dept.  IIRC pregnancy office visits & the labor & delivery charges were billed to the insurance company as a lump sum early in the pregnancy &  paid for by ins company by the 7th or  8th month.  If the mom changed insurance companies during the pregnancy, charges were prorated back to the original ins co & then partial charges  were billed to new ins co. I don't know how it worked if mom lost old ins but had no new ins (being a self pay patient) as was Anna's case.  I guess she would be responsible for prorated charge like new ins co would be.  The labor & delivery charges were for the doctor.  There would be separate additional charges from the hospital.

I could be wrong but think this how it worked.  I'm in Maryland.  

If the Smuggars did lose their insurance, I am wont to believe that they gambled with Anna's pregnancy. After all, she'd had three successful homebirths already, etc. Yes, I am giving them no credit for brains or sense. 

Anyone wanna take the bet that they have actually vaccinated their kids? That's easy money for me! :D

• Love 1
(edited)

Changing directions for a moment, I wonder how the TLC crew is going to film around Smuggar at Jinger's wedding. Assuming the family sticks close together that might be somewhat of a challenge. I'm split pretty evenly on whether or not they work him back into the storyline. I don't know how many more of Anna's Sad Clownface TH's they can do before they're forced to address the elephant in the room.

Edited by BitterApple
clarity
  • Love 2
28 minutes ago, BitterApple said:

Changing directions for a moment, I wonder how the TLC crew is going to film around Smuggar at Jinger's wedding. Assuming the family sticks close together that might be somewhat of a challenge. I'm split pretty evenly on whether or not they work him back into the storyline. I don't know how many more of Anna's Sad Clownface TH's they can do before they're forced to address the elephant in the room.

I've heard that TLC has said that Smuggar will NOT appear in the upcoming season. But that doesn't include the wedding, which will likely be shown as a VSE over the holidays. I speculated that in different circumstances, Jeremy and Smuggar would have been best buddies, being the same age and all, shoving Ben aside. As it stands now, I don't think Smuggar has a relationship with either of his current brothers-in-law and Jeremy likely cuts a wide swath around him. I mean, dude molested your now-fiance! Sure, the girls "forgave" him, but did they really have a choice? I also wonder how the brothers REALLY feel about him. JD seemed pretty disappointed and let down in his THs during JJ:CO. But Boob is pretty much forcing Smuggar to work alongside his brothers. Talk about awkward. 

• Love 2

I think all TLC has to do is tell him to get out of a shot.  If that fails, they can tell JB to tell him to get out of the shot.  They are the ones writing the checks, and they should have control of the shoots; they definitely have control of the editing.  The Duggars do not own these shows, they just make money off them.

• Love 2

I kind of love how these famewhores are painted into a corner: they lose if they show Josh or if they don't show Josh. Good.

Now if I see his parent's I'll throw a brick through my TV. I think there will be a backlash of them appearing.

• Love 3

They shouldn't have trouble keeping Smugs out of filming.  Thinking back & having rewatched Jill's wedding recently, he was barely in that even tho he was the Master of Ceremonies. He was basically just another guest at Jessa's.  I think being in a large family helps TLC, there are plenty of other folk to dwell on for story lines. 

• Love 1
7 hours ago, kassygreene said:

I think all TLC has to do is tell him to get out of a shot.  If that fails, they can tell JB to tell him to get out of the shot.  They are the ones writing the checks, and they should have control of the shoots; they definitely have control of the editing.  The Duggars do not own these shows, they just make money off them.

If he just must be in the wedding, they should put him on the very edge of group photos etc, so TLC and People can crop him out. 

• Love 2
1 hour ago, Kokapetl said:

If he just must be in the wedding, they should put him on the very edge of group photos etc, so TLC and People can crop him out. 

Makes me wonder how many Duggars actually want him to be in the wedding and the photos. I'm thinking .... Anna, the M kids, and Michelle?

18 minutes ago, Churchhoney said:

Makes me wonder how many Duggars actually want him to be in the wedding and the photos. I'm thinking .... Anna, the M kids, and Michelle?

That's probably pretty accurate. I can't imagine the older kids want anything to do with him, and Boob would send Josh on a one-way ticket to the moon if the option was available. Maybe the victims have genuinely forgiven him and moved on, but it sickens me to think of these girls walking down the aisle with their portly, arrogant molester sitting in the audience.

• Love 6
55 minutes ago, Malvina said:

Is it Josh on the left in the first picture? If so he looks huge.

Ugh, you made me look twice! Yes, he of the mighty mighty man boobs is over there in the brown shirt. Am I right in thinking he's always tended toward the portly? And now, I mean, what else has he got going on but food? Not to mention, maybe he's trying to turn Goody Smuggar off his jock so as to avoid more blessings.

• Love 5
1 hour ago, Malvina said:

Is it Josh on the left in the first picture? If so he looks huge.

Yes, and yes. He's in the third picture (guys walking next to a plane) holding a little one's hand. None of his brothers have ever been that large, and JD, the one closest to him in height, is shown in the first picture in the middle, not in the brown shirt. He looks like crap; his Jesus Jail self-control has apparently deserted him, and his body is again no longer a temple. 

• Love 1

Looks like two different days, but definitely Smugs in the front of the pic on top in the gray shirt and baseball cap. Note that the M Boys are right next to him. Well, Marcus drifted a little back there in the orange. But that's definitely Mikey at Smuggar's feet. 

• Love 1

Josh does not look good.  He looks so so much older than his age.  jim Bob actually is in better shape than Joshley. I believe Jim Bob just turned 50 or 51? 

Well, when you don't have a smart phone to pass the time, you make a lot of trips to fast food? 

• Love 4

He was much more slender in pics we saw of him not long after his release from Jesus Jail. It looks like he's gained back all that weight (30? 40 lbs?) in less than 5 months. That's NOT healthy. He's 28 and a heart attack waiting to happen. 

• Love 3

Definitely looks like Smuggar next to Boob (in orange) wearing the baseball cap (again) and a stupid Benham Bros. teeshirt. I agree that he's doing his best to be incognito. 

img-0504-photogallery.jpg

Edited by Sew Sumi
1 hour ago, Arwen Evenstar said:

Goody Smuggar!  It's been a while since anyone called Anna that, but I love it. I'm still catching up on the posts I've missed...

TM the brilliant Kokapetl! I love it too; it's just inspired.

• Love 1

Holy sweaty man boobs, Smuggar. Wow, he not only looks awful, he looks like he smells awful, too. It seems like he's been sucking down the fast food since being released from Jesus jail.

• Love 4
4 hours ago, emma675 said:

Holy sweaty man boobs, Smuggar. Wow, he not only looks awful, he looks like he smells awful, too. It seems like he's been sucking down the fast food since being released from Jesus jail.

Sweating for Jesus?

• Love 1