Type keyword(s) to search

Jeopardy! Season 33 (2016-2017)

Athena
  • Start Topic

Yay, Julie!  Adam sure made a weird wager for FJ, but I'm glad he's gone.

The DD's were annoyingly easy - windfall, Big Bang, and the Shard.  And what was up with that multiple choice poison category?

FJ was an instaget.

• Love 4

I meant to complain yesterday about the "Conservative Bookshelf" category. I think I probably wouldn't love a "Liberal Bookshelf" category either. One of Al Franken's books would be OK, but I can't think of anything else that has a place on Jeopardy.

• Love 5
2 hours ago, SeanC said:

I only belatedly got the "my philosophy" hint included in the clue where the poison answer was hemlock.

I missed that! I honed in on one of the Latin words sounding like bell (to me), and I picked belladonna. Yup. Dumb.

The only TS I got was Tennessee Williams. FJ was pretty easy. I'm happy with Julie's win.

• Love 2

I agree there were many ridiculously easy clues tonight. I liked the "Bridges" category but for the highest value one, they showed a photo of Venice. I thought they were going to ask for The Bridge of Sighs or  Rialto Bridge. Instead they just wanted that you recognize this was a picture of Venice! A 3rd grader would know that! 

It seems like the show is getting easier. I am certainly not getting smarter. Except for the movie questions- those seem to be getting harder, like you need to be a real movie buff to win this show anymore. 

• Love 6
12 hours ago, vibeology said:

I thought Adam looked like a short Property Brother. 

That Will Smith category was my life. I loved that. I love Will Smith. I even got Fela!

I hate Will Smith, but still ran that category.  I've heard of Fela Kuti, and knew there was a musical about him, so even though I wasn't aware that the Smiths were involved, I still got that one.

missed that! I honed in on one of the Latin words sounding like bell (to me), and I picked belladonna. Yup. Dumb.

The only TS I got was Tennessee Williams. FJ was pretty easy. I'm happy with Julie's win.

I was surprised none of them got Tennessee Williams. 

I knew that wolfsbane is aconitum in Latin (it's also called monkshood - thanks, Brother Cadfael), and was fairly sure that the Latin for belladonna has that word in the name.  So hemlock, while a bit of a guess, was arrived at in something approximating a process of elimination.

Edited by proserpina65
  • Love 2
1 hour ago, proserpina65 said:

So hemlock, while a bit of a guess, was arrived at in something approximating a process of elimination.

That's how I got it too.  I ran that category.

I knew that FJ had to be something to do with your American Civil War but I didn't know just what exactly it was. 

I didn't dislike Adam but I do like Julie so I'm glad she won.

• Love 2
4 hours ago, tvaddict44 said:

I sure thought that Russian leader died from plutonium poisoning...

Definitely polonium.  Something I watched on either CNN or MSNBC over the weekend talked about extensively about Putin's enemies disappearing/dying, and Litvinenko's polonium poisoning came up.  Plus there's an episode of Law & Order: Criminal Intent which was drawn from that case.  Otherwise I probably wouldn't have remembered.

Edited by proserpina65
  • Love 1
7 hours ago, proserpina65 said:

I knew that wolfsbane is aconitum in Latin (it's also called monkshood - thanks, Brother Cadfael), and was fairly sure that the Latin for belladonna has that word in the name.  So hemlock, while a bit of a guess, was arrived at in something approximating a process of elimination.

I had a similar process - I knew belladonna is the Latin name (Atropa belladonna), which has many other "English" names, and I knew wolfsbane was aconitum thanks to Severus Snape (Harry Potter).

• Love 3

And speaking of 70s music, I'd like to thank John Denver for my knowledge of the name of Cousteau's ship, Calypso.  I now have that song running through my head.  Which is not a bad thing.

FJ was another instaget for me.

• Love 6

FJ was laughable today. Why did they stay in the Cousteau category? I would have done well in Asian Flags!

It was a fairly boring game, but I disagree with accepting maypole. 

Edited by teebax
Stupid autocorrect
  • Love 5

Glad Julie squeaked out another win.  Rachel was okay but Tricia was a sourpuss.

They shouldn't have given Tricia credit for maypole.  They were looking for the day or the event.  I guess instead of Thanksgiving they would have accepted turkey?

I got John McCain (missed DD), Svetlana, soccer, sham, and Monaco.

I couldn't rip FJ out of my brain (it was rattling around in there) and kicked myself at the reveal.

• Love 6

For once I actually liked all three contestants, but glad Julie won again.  I was surprised John McCain and Monaco were missed DD's.  And for some reason FJ came to me right away.  I think it was just because it's a common sendoff at a funeral.  Not anything to do with a space launch, but it seemed appropriate for that too.

• Love 3
2 hours ago, teebax said:

It was a fairly boring game, but I disagree with accepting maypole. 

Yeah, I definitely disagreed with that ruling. Boo hiss.

I got sham and the John McCain DD. FJ was easy. I'm glad Julie won. I liked her interview portion.

• Love 3

It's been a bit since I can recall such an obvious dislike for the categories. No one seemed eager for Cousteau or Asian Flags. I wouldn't have actively chosen those either though. Was Cousteau's granddaughter promoting something? I hate when someone else reads the clues because of the additional time spent but at least there's usually a justifiable tie-in. I didn't see one this time.

• Love 3
27 minutes ago, tvaddict44 said:

Personally I didn't mind missing the flag category because most flags look alike to me. (I know that's weird),  but you all would have gotten your questions if Alex hadn't used valuable time to blather about Canadian geese....

I just studied flags on one of the sites recommended here so I was particularly peeved they didnt finish it. Also, I hate watching contestants stare at the board because no one knows the answers. Pick another category, dammit!

• Love 5
14 hours ago, CarpeDiem54 said:

Glad Julie squeaked out another win.  Rachel was okay but Tricia was a sourpuss.

They shouldn't have given Tricia credit for maypole.  They were looking for the day or the event.  I guess instead of Thanksgiving they would have accepted turkey?

I got John McCain (missed DD), Svetlana, soccer, sham, and Monaco.

I couldn't rip FJ out of my brain (it was rattling around in there) and kicked myself at the reveal.

I would never have given her credit for maypole - it did not fit the clue.  I missed Svetlana, but got the others.  I knew FJ right away, but then, I'm a big space program buff.

Canada geese poop everywhere, and it's really big compared to the size of the bird.  Damn you, Canada!

Edited by proserpina65
  • Love 5

Category is TV Female Cops: She is the cop refered to in the title as The Closer

No one answered. I would have said Who is Brenda Lee Johnson?  Alex said the correct answer was Kyra Sedgwick. I wonder what would have happened if someone had rung in with the character and not the actress.  I wouldn't have known which one they wanted. 

I got Nora Roberts (who is also J. D. Robb), which was TS.

Edited by Temperance
  • Love 5

The (former) champ always had the goofiest wagers!! This time, it bit her in the butt. I actually hesitated on the "Closer" question, since I knew the name of the actress but not the character (which is what I thought they wanted). I know many authors' "other names" (Evan Hunter=Ed McBain, Donald Westlake=Richard Stark, for example), so that category was easy for me, as was TV Female Cops (I even know which is Cagney & which is Lacey :) )

• Love 5

I'm okay with the sloppy squinter winning -- he was the only one who didn't start in the middle of the categories!  But he is slow, so he'll probably be a one and done.

I got Iguazu Falls and toric, and said Kyra Sedgwick -- I've never seen The Closer and have no clue what the character's name is.  I only know Kyra played her because of the ads. 

FJ was another instaget, but I wonder if they would have accepted "Les Mis" instead?

• Love 2

Julie got on my last nerve today, with all those dumb, unnecessary guesses and that inexplicable wager in FJ.  Worst of all, she guaranteed I'd have to watch Eric squint through at least one more game.

Maybe he can use some of his winnings to buy a pair of glasses in the right prescription.

• Love 8

Count me as another one who thought they wanted the name of the character in The Closer. 

Oh, Julie, what in the world is wrong with you?  First, she gives a goofy guess really late in the game and she loses the lead, then she gets the lead back and doesn't know how to wager for final jeopardy.  I guess she deserved to lose.

• Love 7
29 minutes ago, Mondrianyone said:

Julie got on my last nerve today, with all those dumb, unnecessary guesses and that inexplicable wager in FJ.  Worst of all, she guaranteed I'd have to watch Eric squint through at least one more game.

Maybe he can use some of his winnings to buy a pair of glasses in the right prescription.

This!  Exactly what I was going to say.

The only TS I got was Kyra Sedgwick.

FJ was an instaget.  I answered before Alex was halfway through reading the clue.

• Love 6

I got Kyra too because I thought they were going for the actress names in the whole category.  And I am very glad they took that guy's money away for saying Hargitay wrong.

On a happier note, I love that the guy in the middle sang in Klingon.  

• Love 7

Oh, no! You apparently don't know to turn on Channel 36 when 11Alive shows something else!  36 had J! on tonight.  It didn't show Wheel at 7, but I waited for the end of "Extra" and sure enough, there was Jeopardy!.  Can you DVR both 11 and 36 simultaneously? You'll probably rarely watch what's on 36 except for these rare times 11 shows newsworthy stuff.

That fire was freaky-scary, especially when that whole section just pancaked.  I'm so glad I don't have to commute to work.

• Love 4

Thanks P.W. No I didn't know that!  It is rare that it is interrupted. I don't remember ever missing it before due to a big news story. But I can look for channel 36 and tape that too.  I use I-85 all the time. I have to go downtown next week for Hedwig at the Fox. After that I have a few other things coming up. I am lucky I don't work in that direction. Lard help us all. 

• Love 2

THAT WAS SO FRUSTRATING!!!! You all already said everything I was going to say but man, haven't been that frustrated by Jeopardy in quite a while. I don't understand what she was thinking with that wager.

• Love 5

I had no idea that The Diary of Anne Frank was in Dutch. I would've said German. For the missing part of the Sphinx, I said chin. Close, but no... beard.

I got Kyra Sedgwick. That is all. I didn't even get FJ. My first thought was Hair, but the year wasn't right, then I was thinking Miss Saigon just as time ran out. Seeing the answer made me feel stupid. Besides "revolution" in the clue, was there a hint in there, like part of a lyric?

• Love 1

Yeesh, I had to binge watch 4 games to catch up - stupid job!

My first thought was Hair, but the year wasn't right, then I was thinking Miss Saigon just as time ran out. Seeing the answer made me feel stupid. 

I guessed Miss Saigon too, even though I don't believe it's been running consistently for 30 years. As I was scanning marquees in my mind, I couldn't unsee Phantom and Cats so Les Miz didn't even register.

Was there a mathematical strategy to Julie's wager? 

• Love 3
3 hours ago, Browncoat said:

FJ was another instaget, but I wonder if they would have accepted "Les Mis" instead?

I wondered the same thing, because I got "Les Mis" immediately, but I doubt I could have spelled the full name close enough to count.

2 hours ago, SierraMist said:

Count me as another one who thought they wanted the name of the character in The Closer.

Me too!

2 hours ago, operalover said:

No game here in Atlanta area- went to watch my DVR but no show- seems that I-85 is on fire and collapsed! Okay good reason to not show Jeopardy. Holy Moly is all I can say.

I saw that on the news, that was a crazy fire!  I'll be going through there next weekend, I guess I better start figuring out an alternate route!

• Love 3

but I wonder if they would have accepted "Les Mis" instead?

Alex said "Les Mis" while checking FJ answers. I said it before he'd finished reading the clue, as soon as he got to the "rev" in "revolution"!

Stupid Julie. I wonder how she'll feel when she watches the show. Heh!

• Love 2

I had no clue as to FJ!  I answered "Hair" then said no, the date is wrong.  Then I said "1776" no the date is wrong.  So I gave up.  I thought Eric was going to be the absent minded professor.  Proved me wrong.  I like him.

• Love 4

Yeah I didn't know FJ, had no idea.  I am not strong in musicals, not in the least. 

The FJ lately have been hard on me. 

Agree with the prior comments on this game :  stupid FJ bet, stupid to ring in at the end and lose $2000 to be behind going to FJ.  That guy is annoying with his squinting and for God's sake, between episodes, I hope he shaves.  I know, you're older, the gray hair, you can't help, but there is nothing more annoying than a scraggly barely present gray mustache/beard whatever he is trying to do.  Someone in make up or wardrobe or whoevers job it is, takes a razor to him

• Love 2

I'm glad Eric won, but the squinting...oy!

I also thought they wanted the character name for The Closer but all I could remember was Brenda.

Did not get FJ.  As soon as I saw 'revolution' I said Evita and was positive I was right:)

• Love 4

I knew Les Mis was still running on Broadway because Lin-Manuel Miranda mentioned it in the PBS Hamilton special, which I recently viewed :) Evita has toured (I saw it 8-10 years ago) but I don't think it's been on Broadway in a while, although I could be wrong because I haven't been following it.

• Love 1
11 hours ago, biakbiak said:

They moved to the Netherlands when Anne was 4 or 5.

I knew that and German still jumped out of my mouth.

I got FJ, lucky guess.

Alex continues to annoy me. ANY chance to be a condescending mind reader e.g., I know you knew it but couldn't get it out (HOW does he know?) If he can use an accent, all the better. A nit pick on my part :/

• Love 2

Musical Theater would be one of my Jeopardy dream categories but I have to admit Les Mis is not one of my favorite shows (1776 is however so thanks to PaulaO, I am now quietly singing those songs at my desk).  I did get FJ immediately however from the clue and I know there are Les Mis devotees so I will refrain from my snark about it and join in the snark about what was the champ thinking with her bet - the only theory I can come up with is she thought it would be a TS and she would lose the least but that is a risky strategy to pursue without knowing for sure that it is a difficult clue. 

Edited by Grundoon59
Because I momentarily lost all sense of sentence structure.
  • Love 2