Type keyword(s) to search

Jeopardy! Season 33 (2016-2017)

Athena
  • Start Topic

I know this has been asked before, but I don't remember the answer -- is there anywhere online to watch Jeopardy!?  My satellite provider and my local affiliate are in the middle of a rates disagreement, and if it isn't resolved, I will lose J! starting tonight.  :(  The local station doesn't come in very well without some boost from cable or satellite due to the mountains, or I'd just get rabbit ears.

• Love 1
3 hours ago, Browncoat said:

I know this has been asked before, but I don't remember the answer -- is there anywhere online to watch Jeopardy!?  My satellite provider and my local affiliate are in the middle of a rates disagreement, and if it isn't resolved, I will lose J! starting tonight.  :(  The local station doesn't come in very well without some boost from cable or satellite due to the mountains, or I'd just get rabbit ears.

I'm not sure if this is region-dependent, but my local station also streams live (no log in required): http://www.yestv.com/watch-live/

It's on at 7:30 pm Eastern Time.

If you're not looking to watch live, googling "watch jeopardy online" the next day will probably give you something. I've done that before when I forgot to record.

• Love 1

The guy who won yesterday and today annoyed me on Monday, when they were down to one full category left and he insisted on calling the clues by the full name of the long category title instead of just naming a money amount. 

Edited by Temperance
  • Love 3

They all did well to get through almost all of the questions today, not too many TS today. I did get Lowenbrau and W and FJ was an instaget for me. 

Like yesterday's contestant, Andrea was a little slow on the uptake. Congratulations to John for the runaway. 

Edited by Miss Chevious
Durn Autocorrect!
  • Love 1

Congrats to John, again.  For a bartender, Pete didn't know a lot about beer.

Good grief!  I was waiting for Andrea to do something amazing (besides constantly laughing into her microphone) because they made a big deal about her on the news here tonight.  I have no idea why since there have been many people from the Denver Metro Area on Jeopardy!  There was a guy from Parker on last week.  She was impressed that Alex was "so smooth and handsome for an older man".  Meh.  At least she was the only one who got FJ.  

I got Bach, W and The Three Faces of Eve.

I was clueless for FJ.

• Love 2
1 hour ago, Miss Chevious said:

They all did well to get through almost all of the questions today, not too many TS today. I did get Lowenbrau and W and FJ was an instaget for me. 

Like yesterday's contestant, Andrea was a little slow on the uptake. Congratulations to John for the runaway. 

I also knew those and Pabst Blue Ribbon. They really went way back into the past for some of those hints. I haven't thought of "Tonight, tonight, let it be Lowenbrau" in years.

I was surprised that only one person knew FJ and one didn't even have a guess.

• Love 2

Well, the good news is that my satellite provider and my local station reached an eleventh-hour agreement (of course they did!) so I won't lose J!, but the (sort of) bad news is that I missed J! tonight in favor of going to see La La Land.  I loved the movie, incidentally.  What was FJ?

• Love 3

I got Pabst Blue Ribbon, Three Faces of Eve, Bach (fugue always leads me to Bach, whether right or not), W (sound of V), and P (phosphorus).

For FJ, I guessed Death of a Salesman, though I had a feeling that Moro didn't mean death.

• Love 2
1 hour ago, peeayebee said:

For FJ, I guessed Death of a Salesman, though I had a feeling that Moro didn't mean death.

Same here! Also, I was fairly sure Death of a Salesman wasn't based on something from hundreds of years ago. I couldn't come up with anything else though.

• Love 2

FJ was an instaget which was a surprise for me because Shakespeare and the Bible are the two categories that make me realize I should not try out for Jeopardy.

Edited by biakbiak
  • Love 4
On ‎01‎/‎16‎/‎2017 at 8:36 PM, Spunkygal said:

In the Lucky category, the clue was what FOUR word question does Dirty Harry tell a punk he has to ask himself. Eli answers, " do you feel lucky, punk?" And he repeats the answer again. Isn't that FIVE words? Then Alex responds, "yes, do you feel lucky or do I feel lucky." Crap! What is the correct four word question, Alex? 

Besides, the actual line is "Do I feel lucky?" so Eli's answer wasn't correct in any way, shape or form.

I got stuck on "moro" meaning death (which it doesn't although it is close to the word for death) and did not get FJ.  Pooey.

I'm not feeling John.  He's okay, but I really dislike runaway games.

Edited by proserpina65
  • Love 2
On ‎01‎/‎16‎/‎2017 at 8:36 PM, CarpeDiem54 said:

Congrats to John!  No more swaying!  Yeah, Eli, because Rwanda has so many Russian named towns.

I got Han Solo, Roman shades, newel post, potluck, Wild Kingdom (which was on Sunday evenings where I lived, too) and John Lewis.

I answered FJ before Alex finished reading it in his Boris and Natasha accent.

I said Roman blinds.  Would that count?

• Love 1

...still a day behind after a busy weekend, but to chime in on Monday's Dirty Harry question, the only answer is "Do I feel lucky?" Anything else is wrong. I figured someone might say "Do you feel lucky?" and was wondering if that would be accepted, and then that mess occurred.

Along the same lines, for FJ, thought of Chernobyl immediately and spent the next 29 seconds wondering if an answer of just 'Chernobyl' would be accepted? I was hoping someone would give it as an answer so I could find out!

• Love 3

I like John.  He can stay around.  Do the Jeopardy! writers know any other playwright besides Shakespeare?????  I flubbed FJ! but ran composers and one other category that I don't remember.    Yes, fugue=Bach.

• Love 1

I'm not really crazy about John.  He is knowledgeable, but more importantly, he is really quick on the buzzer.  I had a soft spot for Pete because he's a bartender, but he really seemed to have a problem ringing in.  And I did better in the beer category than he did.  Oh well.  No clue for FJ.

• Love 1
2 hours ago, DXD526 said:

Along the same lines, for FJ, thought of Chernobyl immediately and spent the next 29 seconds wondering if an answer of just 'Chernobyl' would be accepted? I was hoping someone would give it as an answer so I could find out!

I wondered too, but I think it would. I think "What is Pearl Harbor" would be enough of an answer for what got the US into WWII. "What is Three Mile Island" is enough for, say, "The movie The China Syndrome was based on this event."

2 hours ago, proserpina65 said:

I said Roman blinds.  Would that count?

I would like to say Yes, because that's what I said, but sadly no. Blinds have slats.

• Love 1
Just now, peeayebee said:

Blinds have slats.

Not necessarily.  Webster's says one meaning of a blind is a window shade.  And Wikipedia says: The term window blinds can also be used to describe window coverings generically—in this context window blinds include almost every type of window covering, i.e. shutters, roller blinds, cellular shades (also called honeycomb shades), wood blinds, roman blinds and of course, standard vertical and horizontal blinds.

• Love 1

Good lord, I'm glad Sherri lost.  She lost me with her first pick -- in the middle of the damn category.  And I hadn't noticed John's vocal fry until tonight.  It made my throat hurt just to listen to it. 

I really need to brush up on US History -- and I thought the clue was ambiguous whether it wanted the city or the state, too.

• Love 5

Had no idea that Audubon was a photographer! Why in the world did he waste all that time drawing and painting?

Mrs. Audubon to JohnJames: Honey! Pick up that brownie and make us some money! We are bankrupt!

Edited by Spunkygal
  • Love 6

I know nothing about Delaware, but whenever I hear about it I remember the Wayne's World quote "Or imagine being able to be magically whisked away to...Delaware! [bored sounding] ...Hi. I'm in Delaware." So obviously I was useless on FJ.

• Love 2

I was surprised to see that they listed states instead of capitals. The clue said "this state capital", not "this state's capital". I had no idea what the answer was, but I did know they were looking for a capital!

I wasn't really paying much attention today, though.

• Love 8

Congrats again to John.  Boy, he barely squeaked out a win.  Aaron's story about meeting Rommel's photographer kind of grossed me out, for some reason.  I don't think I'd want my claim to fame being meeting a Nazi.  Man, I'm glad Sherri flamed out.  Her picking in the middle of categories was sooo annoying.

I got Scott Turow, Mississippi, delftware and Royal Doulton.

After careful consideration, I finally got FJ after remembering a sign I saw in Dover whilst on a business trip years ago hanging by the Golden Fleece Tavern.

• Love 6

Sherri going right to the middle of the categories was annoying.  I thought Aaron's story about meeting Rommel's photographer was all kinds of creepy.  It's not something I would brag about.  Also, I'm not expert on Jeopardy wagering, but I thought his FJ bet made no sense.  I got Mississippi and Royal Doulton and maybe a few others I don't remember.  I didn't get FJ but I knew they were looking for a city, not the state.  I guessed Boston just to have something to say. 

• Love 3

I'm pleased I got FJ. I wasn't positive, but because of the US State quarters, I knew Delaware was the first State, so I said Dover.

For a while I thought I wouldn't get any TSs, then I got Louis L'Amour, Matthew Brady, and Doulton. I also got the DD of delft.

• Love 1

I knew shoepeg corn, Mississippi, Louis L'Amour, Santayana, birthday boy, Delft, and Royal Doulton. (Thanks, Hyacinth Bucket!) I was surprised that no one rang in after John Grisham proved incorrect. When it comes to contemporary books about lawyers, the answer is either Grisham or Turot.

I remember my brother telling me a long time ago--apropos of nothing in particular--that the Delaware governor always walks first in a procession of governors, because of Delaware's connection with the Constitution. I remembered the capital because we had to memorize them all in school, and that one was short and simple.

• Love 2

So today Aaron did the same dopey thing John did a couple of days earlier, betting enough money on a DD at the very end of the game to cost him the lead, without hope of making it back.  When you're leading late in the game, you hold on to your lead.  I'm starting to suspect they must go down to the bus station to recruit contestants and just drag them into the studio and yell "Go!"  Because some of these people play as if they've never seen the game before.

• Love 6

I answered Philadelphia for FJ thinking it was probably wrong, and it was. The clue asked for a capital city, so it was surprising that two players named states. 

Don't remember the category, but one of the clues had 'towards' in it, making my eyes hurt. I had an English professor whose pet peeve was 'towards' and pounded it into her students' heads that it is most decidedly not a word! I have always used 'toward' over the years, thanks to her. It was weird seeing this grammar rule broken by J!

• Love 6
16 hours ago, CarpeDiem54 said:

I'm glad Sherri flamed out.  Her picking in the middle of categories was sooo annoying.

My girlfriend is not usually around when I watch Jeopardy and couldn't understand why after Sherri's first selection, I screamed out, "I hope you lose!"

Later in the game I yelled at the TV for the horrible DD and FJ wagers. She thinks I'm insane. I'm glad I have you guys to show me I'm not alone.

2 hours ago, DXD526 said:

I answered Philadelphia for FJ thinking it was probably wrong, and it was. The clue asked for a capital city, so it was surprising that two players named states. 

Philly isn't the state capital, so I knew it wasn't Philly.  (Was it the state capital back then? I know it was the nation's capital for a while, but I'm not sure about the state. I know it was Lancaster before Harrisburg. Now I'm just babbling....)

Anyway, I waffled between Trenton and Dover and settled on Dover.

• Love 6
5 hours ago, DXD526 said:

Don't remember the category, but one of the clues had 'towards' in it, making my eyes hurt. I had an English professor whose pet peeve was 'towards' and pounded it into her students' heads that it is most decidedly not a word! I have always used 'toward' over the years, thanks to her. It was weird seeing this grammar rule broken by J!

It's traditionally been toward in U.S. English and towards in U.K. English, but most people don't care. The show should pick a spelling and be consistent, and for the sake of space if nothing else, it should be the shorter version.

• Love 2

Another instaget FJ -- I spent a lot of time second-guessing myself, the answer was so obvious.

Neil is going to drive me insane with the rocking.  And the not starting at the top of the category.

TS that I got include Anita Mann, Mekong River, and Durian fruit.  I'd like to thank The Amazing Race for Durian fruit.

• Love 7

If a contestant is a teacher or student, the first question I would ask is "What is your field?" not "What weird thing happened to you on vacation?" The field could affect which categories they choose and how well they do.

• Love 3

Yet another creepy interview.  I wouldn't want a picture taken with a Lenin or Stalin or Putin impersonator.  How about Hitler or Charles Manson?  Just no.

The only TS I got was elliptical.

FJ was an instaget.

Edited by CarpeDiem54
  • Love 5
2 hours ago, Browncoat said:

Another instaget FJ -- I spent a lot of time second-guessing myself, the answer was so obvious.

Me too, and for a second I thought it was supposed to be an American artist. Anyway, I couldn't come up with anyone else, so I stuck with Picasso.

TS that I got include Anita Mann, Mekong River, and Durian fruit.  I'd like to thank The Amazing Race for Durian fruit.

I got the first two, but not Durian fruit. I said breadfruit, though I was pretty sure it looked different. I watch The Amazing Race, but I didn't retain this fruit knowledge.

• Love 2
On 1/18/2017 at 1:42 PM, peeayebee said:

"What is Three Mile Island" is enough for, say, "The movie The China Syndrome was based on this event."

Three Mile Island happened after "The China Syndrome" was released.  The film was released March 16, 1979, but benefitted from Three Mile Island, which occurred March 28, 1979.  The coincidence of the timing was kind of spooky, though.

• Love 6

I like the new champ.  He really picked up speed in DJ, and besides, he's an attractive ginger - I love me some gingers.

Picasso was my immediate thought for FJ.  I suppose someone could've said Dali, though.

Edited by proserpina65
  • Love 2
On ‎01‎/‎18‎/‎2017 at 8:15 PM, ClareWalks said:

I know nothing about Delaware, but whenever I hear about it I remember the Wayne's World quote "Or imagine being able to be magically whisked away to...Delaware! [bored sounding] ...Hi. I'm in Delaware." So obviously I was useless on FJ.

I live 10 minutes from Delaware, and we do all our major shopping there, so I know that, while "Home of Tax-Free Shopping" is the unofficial state motto, the official one is "The First State" because they were the first state to ratify the Constitution.  I knew the year referred to the Constitution because it came up recently on Jeopardy.  So Dover was a gimme.

On ‎01‎/‎18‎/‎2017 at 10:31 PM, peeayebee said:

I'm pleased I got FJ. I wasn't positive, but because of the US State quarters, I knew Delaware was the first State, so I said Dover.

For a while I thought I wouldn't get any TSs, then I got Louis L'Amour, Matthew Brady, and Doulton. I also got the DD of delft.

I didn't get Royal Doulton - I said Royal Worcester but knew full well it was wrong.  Should've remembered Hyacinth Bucket from Keeping Up Appearances and her Royal Doulton tea cups with the hand-painted periwinkles.  I did get the others, plus I knew Natchez Trace was in Mississippi.

I didn't get durian.  I kept saying "that stinky one they use on Chopped all the time".  Mekong was a guess for me, simply because I knew Laos was next to Vietnam, but I wasn't sure if both bordered that river.  I found myself unreasonably amused by Anita Mann, even though I didn't do particularly well in that category.

Edited by proserpina65
  • Love 3

As soon as I saw the FJ category, before the question even came up, I guessed Picasso, jokingly.  Turns out I was right. 

I didn't get the Dover question.  I guessed Hartford, because Connecticut is the Constitution state. 

• Love 2
2 hours ago, zoey1996 said:

Three Mile Island happened after "The China Syndrome" was released.  The film was released March 16, 1979, but benefitted from Three Mile Island, which occurred March 28, 1979.  The coincidence of the timing was kind of spooky, though.

Oops. Thanks for the correction. I probably saw the film just after Three Mile Island occurred.

• Love 1
8 hours ago, tvaddict44 said:

CarpeDiem54, I was creeped out by that picture with the impersonater story also.  What an odd thing to do in the first place....

I like the young red-headed doctor.  I'd feel comfortable with him taking care of my child (had I had one).  Seems personable and smart.  I can't remember what his story was about, but didn't Alex have a strange comment afterwards?

His story was about driving into a ditch in Costa Rica and having to walk a couple miles out and then picking the car up the next day. Trebek's comment was "good" or something similar rather than a more fitting "what an adventure."  I liked that the doctor was there to learn medical Spanish. 

• Love 3