Type keyword(s) to search

Jeopardy! Season 33 (2016-2017)

Athena
  • Start Topic

I was shocked that Alex didn't go all accent-berserk when he was the chance to do so in pronouncing legerdemain.

My eyes bugged out when he did that! I was expecting a full blown performance of that term.

I clown Alex a lot for his snarky comments and love of the French language but in his tribute to Cindy, he really showed the seasoned, classy host he has become. Very well done.

• Love 9

I'm going to miss Cindy.  What a smart, courageous, lovely lady.  I'm so glad she realized her dream of not only appearing on Jeopardy, but attaining her goal of winning over $100,000.  There were times she looked weak and then she bounced back.  I don't know how she did it.  She is a true inspiration to us all.  I agree that Alex can be snarky, but his tribute to her at the end was very touching, and left me teary-eyed.  

RIP Cindy Stowell.

• Love 11

For the ADH/enzyme clue, I said alcohol dehydrogenase - do you think I would have got 'be LESS specific'?

I am terrible with the states, so I am surprised that I got the missed DD of Rhode Island and North Dakota. Although I was really confused because initially, didn't the contestant in the middle answer with the state names, before being told to use the letters for CO and LA? And then the other two contestants were told to use the full state names.

I could not have been more clueless for FJ.

I still miss Cindy.

• Love 4

OMG, could Brad have chosen clues any more slowly?  Not to mention the endless Cracker Jack story.  Glad he didn't win.  But Sam, with his wild-ass guesses, nearly did himself in.  He should be incredibly grateful that he knew FJ.  Which I did not -- Baum never even occurred to me, although when his name was revealed, I did a face-palm. 

I did know Vikander, Pan-American Highway, Ortega, Costa Rica, and the missed DD of RI and ND. 

@secnarf I also said alcohol dehydrogenase, and wondered the same thing!

• Love 3

I initially challenged the Bacchus acceptance, but it turns out that he is the exception to the rule regarding Greek and Roman gods.  The Greeks also called him Bacchus, as well as Dionysus, and the Latins actually took the Greek name in this case.  See these examples (though you have to read a bit to see the points raised).

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dionysus  "He is also known as Bacchus (/ˈbækəs/ or /ˈbɑːkəs/; Greek: Βάκχος, Bakkhos), the name adopted by the Romans[15]"

https://www.britannica.com/topic/Dionysus  discussing that he was raised by the bacchantes, another name for the maenads, which is the basis for the name.

I love learning about something I already thought I knew because of Jeopardy!

• Love 7

That FJ about Central America the other day inspired me to study the countries of Central America, so I got the Costa Rica question right:)

I never thought of Baum (or anybody) for FJ until Alex mentioned "a city of a different colour" and then it came  to me, but it was too late to claim credit for it.

• Love 5
2 hours ago, Trey said:

I never thought of Baum (or anybody) for FJ until Alex mentioned "a city of a different colour" and then it came  to me, but it was too late to claim credit for it.

The comment went over my head completely. I was trying to recall the name of the author of The Devil in the White City (Erik Larson). I missed the fact that the clue was referring to someone living at the time of the fair.

• Love 2
3 hours ago, secnarf said:

Although I was really confused because initially, didn't the contestant in the middle answer with the state names, before being told to use the letters for CO and LA? And then the other two contestants were told to use the full state names.

This confused us too.

I don't know how I got Baum. Never read the books (though, of course, that wasn't necessary) I couldn't even figure out my thought process afterwards. So I was pretty pleased with myself.

I didn't know women processed alcohol more slowly. I am, as they say, a cheap drunk, so I would think I process it very quickly. Knowledgeable people, explain, please.

• Love 1

It's just not the same without Cindy.

WTH was up with all the slowness?  They left way too many clues on the board.

I only got Costa Rica and Hawaiian Airlines.

I was totally clueless on FJ.

I really wish they'd fix this website.

• Love 5
3 hours ago, secnarf said:

Although I was really confused because initially, didn't the contestant in the middle answer with the state names, before being told to use the letters for CO and LA? And then the other two contestants were told to use the full state names.

She answered Colorado and Louisiana but Alex paused fairly long after her answer so she quickly added CO and LA, Alex ruled her correct but said that they only wanted the name of the States. Quite frankly I think both of them should have been accepted.

• Love 5
3 minutes ago, rhys said:

I'm such an idiot. The only thing I could think of foir the grapefruit/states question was PEEL.  Could not figure out which states were PE & EL. Doi

If it makes you feel better I tried to make Orchard work!

• Love 4
34 minutes ago, Clanstarling said:

I didn't know women processed alcohol more slowly. I am, as they say, a cheap drunk, so I would think I process it very quickly. Knowledgeable people, explain, please.

If you're a cheap drunk that means you "process" (metabolize) alcohol slowly, giving it a chance to build up in your system since it's not cleared from your body as quickly.

Alcohol is first transformed through ADH (into the compound that causes the flushing that happens when some people drink), and then that product goes on to be further transformed to something non-toxic that you excrete.

• Love 3
9 minutes ago, rhys said:

The only thing I could think of for the grapefruit/states question was PEEL.

That was my first thought, but I quickly realized there was no "PE" state abbreviation, and RIND came to me in time.

• Love 2
48 minutes ago, GreekGeek said:

The comment went over my head completely. I was trying to recall the name of the author of The Devil in the White City (Erik Larson). I missed the fact that the clue was referring to someone living at the time of the fair.

I too was thinking of The Devil in The White City -- great book -- but knew Larson wasn't who they were looking for. I was really struggling to come up with anything then reluctantly settled on F. Scott Fitzgerald just to have any author to answer with.

I got quell and Vikander and the DD of Rhode Island and North Dakota.

• Love 2
On 12/21/2016 at 8:51 PM, Arkay said:

I don't know how she did so well despite all she was enduring, but she was really remarkable. I hope they sent her the tapes so she could at least have watched herself before it aired, and that she had strength enough to watch. I know she's a stranger to me, but I will miss her..

I know I read somewhere that the show sent her the tapes a while ago so that she could see them in time.  I hope she did.

• Love 2
On 12/21/2016 at 8:51 PM, Arkay said:

I actually thought Alex's tribute did not go far enough. He should have mentioned that she donated her winnings to cancer research, and I was hoping to hear that TPTB would match that contribution.

Arkay, again I agree with you...we seem to think similarly!  I was dismayed that despite an otherwise touching tribute, he neglected to mention that she donated all the money.  She certainly deserved the honor of him letting everyone know how noble and selfless she was.  She could have given the money to her family yet she donated to help others.  I hadn't thought of it but that's a great idea; to have the producers match the contribution would have been a really wonderful thing to do.  What a missed opportunity. 

• Love 1
10 hours ago, secnarf said:

If you're a cheap drunk that means you "process" (metabolize) alcohol slowly, giving it a chance to build up in your system since it's not cleared from your body as quickly.

Alcohol is first transformed through ADH (into the compound that causes the flushing that happens when some people drink), and then that product goes on to be further transformed to something non-toxic that you excrete.

Thanks! I thought it might be counter-intuitive (to me, in any case).

10 hours ago, CarpeDiem54 said:

I really wish they'd fix this website.

Me too. Glad to know, however, that it's not just my browser or computer.

• Love 3

Okay Brad, you did a decent job representing the county where I'm from (my mom grew up in Port Deposit, and I grew up in the next town over) but you didn't do better than I did, so that's good I guess.  You were slow in picking categories though - at least when I was on Jeopardy, we cleared both boards.

I did terribly in the Chemistry category, and was having a bit of an off night overall, so I can't really criticize.  I didn't get FJ, had not a clue at all.  I said Carl Sandberg because he's the only writer from Chicago I could remember, but I knew that wasn't write since the clue didn't seem to call for a poet.

• Love 2
On ‎12‎/‎21‎/‎2016 at 2:29 PM, proserpina65 said:

I probably would've gotten tired of her by now due to her low-key personality, part of which is possibly due to her illness.  So I'm glad I know and therefore am not bitching about her.

I'm quoting myself, because I had a conversation with my mother last night in which she asked if I knew ahead of time that Cindy was ill.  She hadn't before Wednesday night, and had disliked Cindy partly due to her lack of energy and enthusiasm.  Precisely how I'm afraid I'd have felt if I hadn't known.  I'd refrained from commenting on Wednesday night's tribute because you all have been more eloquent than I could've been, but I have to say I greatly admire Cindy's composure and courage under very difficult circumstances, and I offer my condolences to her family and friends.

• Love 4
13 hours ago, rhys said:

I'm such an idiot. The only thing I could think of foir the grapefruit/states question was PEEL.  Could not figure out which states were PE & EL. Doi

I'm glad I'm not the only one who did that.

13 hours ago, secnarf said:

That 'splains why I turn red from pretty much the first sip!  I learn something new from this board all the time.  :-)

• Love 2

I fully believe Cindy (or her family) will donate the money, but I assume the show didnt want to make that claim - even just the intention - without it being done and verified. 

On the show's Facebook page, they have a nice tribute based on Cindy's audition footage and interview with her  in which she says she is donating her winnings to cancer research. I think Alex's tribute was just right for the reason stated above - it wasn't his claim to make, and they let Cindy say that herself in her video bit.

Edited by Mumbles
  • Love 5
5 hours ago, Moose135 said:

And this morning, I read that Scorsese and DiCaprio are working on a movie of that book.

I'd forgotten that DiCaprio had optioned the book. Thanks for the reminder. Another great book by Larson is Isaac's Storm. A while back I read that Sean Astin had optioned it. I haven't heard anything else, but it would make a great movie, esp with what special effects can do now.

13 hours ago, Rbonnie said:

Arkay, again I agree with you...we seem to think similarly!  I was dismayed that despite an otherwise touching tribute, he neglected to mention that she donated all the money.  She certainly deserved the honor of him letting everyone know how noble and selfless she was.  She could have given the money to her family yet she donated to help others.  I hadn't thought of it but that's a great idea; to have the producers match the contribution would have been a really wonderful thing to do.  What a missed opportunity. 

We do seem to agree! It was a touching tribute but did not quite say enough. I have seen the video in which Cindy cries as she says she is dying of cancer and wants to contribute to research, but Jeopardy itself has a much wider audience. 

• Love 1

Missed FJ tonight -- that famous early 20th Italian singer ...... who I could not remember.
I'm not sure why Vinnie and the middle contestant (can't remember her name) came up with Edison and Bell -- they might have had something to do with the technology behind the recording (since it was early in the 20th century), but as far as I know neither one was a famous singer.

For TS I got lumen.

What was with AT Giving the middle contestant a 2nd try at that LDS answer ?  It was the DJ round, unless it's a BMS you don't get two attempts at an answer.

Edited by ottoDbusdriver
  • Love 3

The two men had decent scores at the end but it still seemed to be a slow game. I think I am missing Cindy.

My only ts's were satin and Mary, Mary, Quite Contrary.

I did get FJ, coming up with Mario Lanza first, then realizing that was too early for him so remembered Enrico Caruso, still with plenty of time to write it down.  Vinnie and the lady in the middle just seemed to go off on the wrong track.

• Love 3

I got cognomen, but I thought the fabric was shantung (which in retrospect seems like a weird choice for pajamas).

If I'd been playing, I would've written Caruso's full name for FJ, just in case they thought I might've meant David Caruso.

I'm glad Cindy lost to someone as nice and smart and seemingly normal as Sam.  Nothing about him bugs.  So far.

Edited by Mondrianyone
typo
  • Love 6

Congrats to Sam.  He seems like a good guy.  Vinnie bugged me because he mumbled and I couldn't understand him half the time.

Excuse me, Alex, but I spent every summer as a kid in Wyoming and they were always called "horney toads" by everyone.  Sam should have been given that.

Also, Vinnie should have been dinged for Mount McKinley.  They asked for the man, not the mountain.

I got satin, "Mary, Mary Quite Contrary", "Get Up, Stand Up", and lumen.

Finally!  An FJ that was an instaget.  I had no idea that Edison and Bell were great singers. *snerk*

• Love 8

I could have stood here until 3002 and not gotten FJ.

I got lumen and was shocked that was a TS.

Both Sam and Vinnie's demeanors made me a little tense but I appreciate how quickly they moved through the game.

• Love 3
13 minutes ago, CarpeDiem54 said:

Congrats to Sam.  He seems like a good guy.  Vinnie bugged me because he mumbled and I couldn't understand him half the time.

Excuse me, Alex, but I spent every summer as a kid in Wyoming and they were always called "horney toads" by everyone.  Sam should have been given that.

Also, Vinnie should have been dinged for Mount McKinley.  They asked for the man, not the mountain.

I got satin, "Mary, Mary Quite Contrary", "Get Up, Stand Up", and lumen.

Finally!  An FJ that was an instaget.  I had no idea that Edison and Bell were great singers. *snerk*

I'll have to wait until it goes up on J-Archive to confirm, but that clue that Vinnie incorrectly answered 'pottery shard' confused me when AT said the answer was 'potter'.

I also got the Sword TS (when AT did his air swordplay).

@CarpeDiem54 -- you're right about that McKinley answer by Vinnie.  Bad call by AT and the judges -- should have been a correction for that.

ETA:  Almost forgot -- Happy Holidays Everybody !!

Edited by ottoDbusdriver
  • Love 3
2 hours ago, ottoDbusdriver said:

I'm not sure why Vinnie and the middle contestant (can't remember her name) came up with Edison and Bell -- they might have had something to do with the technology behind the recording (since it was early in the 20th century), but as far as I know neither one was a famous singer.

Edison did the "Mary Had a Little Lamb" recording, so maybe that was one reason for the Edison response. 

1 hour ago, mojoween said:

I got lumen and was shocked that was a TS.

My sister and I both came up with lumen, so we were doubly shocked at the TS.

I also got sword and Mary Mary Quite Contrary.

1 hour ago, ottoDbusdriver said:

I'll have to wait until it goes up on J-Archive to confirm, but that clue that Vinnie incorrectly answered 'pottery shard' confused me when AT said the answer was 'potter'.

I couldn't understand what Alex said the answer was. Potshard maybe?

I didn't get FJ. Mario Lanza came to mind first, but I knew he wasn't singing (or alive?) back then. I knew I had heard of the singer they were asking for, but I couldn't recall the name. I was picturing him (played by an actor) in maybe a Godfather film singing Pagliacci. I don't know if I was remembering that right or not. 

• Love 2

I heard AT say 'potter' because they were looking for the first two syllables, but I was also confused by that.

Retrospectively I can kind of see how the clue could be misunderstood to come up with Edison or Bell, but it seemed perfectly clear to me and I was shocked that two contestants misunderstood it in the same way. I don't know how they could have changed the wording to make it any clearer, though.

Having said that, I had absolutely no idea what FJ was, I'd never heard of the guy, but I did realize that they were looking for a singer!

• Love 3

Is it possible the pottery shard question was poorly written? Or did they start at the bottom of the category and not understand how it worked? I was totally confused and too lazy to rewind. I liked that player on the end and thought he was really very good. 

As for FJ I could not think of it. I did however sing Vesti La Giubbia at the top of my lungs to the horror of my sons.

• Love 4
On 12/23/2016 at 1:54 AM, Rbonnie said:

While everyone is praising Alex for his tribute, I don't think he wrote it. It was most likely written by a staff member and Alex just read it.

• Love 2
4 hours ago, operalover said:

Is it possible the pottery shard question was poorly written? Or did they start at the bottom of the category and not understand how it worked? I was totally confused and too lazy to rewind. I liked that player on the end and thought he was really very good. 

As for FJ I could not think of it. I did however sing Vesti La Giubbia at the top of my lungs to the horror of my sons.

I think he just wasn't paying attention the clue specifically stated that they were looking for a 2-syllabel word.

• Love 1
1 hour ago, mojoween said:

Just from memory, the potter clue said PS, but also said it was two syllables, so it was confusing because why was PS in there?

Maybe there's another possible answer that's two syllables, so they wanted to narrow it down to potshard.

• Love 1

I am pretty sure he sort of slurred "potsherd." 

As for the FJ, I kept thinking names I knew were wrong, Placido Domingo and Luciano. I also knew that the right answer had been in San Francisco for the 1906 earthquake, but my brain just would not engage to give up the name!

• Love 4
21 hours ago, M. Darcy said:

I got FJ thanks to reading Betsy Tacy books. 

Happy holidays everyone!! 

I loved the Betsy Tacy books! And I got most of my geographical knowledge from Bobbsey Twin books (the later ones, written in the 1960s, where they traveled all over the world).

• Love 3