Type keyword(s) to search

Jeopardy! Season 33 (2016-2017)

Athena
  • Start Topic

12 minutes ago, Browncoat said:

Had you been able to pay better attention, you likely would have been as astonished as I was when the woman guessed Fankfort as the capital of Ohio. There was even a map with a star in Ohio indicating which city they wanted. I'm still rolling my eyes over that one.

I have to admit that I blurted out Frankfort, mostly because they had the word Kentucky jumping right out at me.  I realized then that they wanted the capital of Ohio but  it was too late.

• Love 3

For FJ tonight, I first said Alan Cumming, the most recent MC for Cabaret on Broadway, but then I paid attention to the clue and managed to come up with Joel Grey in time.

I got haggis, but in no way would I call it pudding.

• Love 3

Pudding seems to be used by the British to describe all kinds of food, from desserts to disgusting stuff like blood pudding.  And haggis, which I've tried.  It wasn't too bad after a shot of whiskey to erase from my mind what it was.

• Love 4

I was hoping that, given long enough, Andrew would say something funny, to show off his talent as an aspiring comedy writer.  I guess that ship has sailed.

We had a great Thanksgiving.  No haggis, thank God, so there was something to be thankful for. 

• Love 2

I instantly knew who FJ was referring to (why? I have seen neither the play, nor the movie!), and was saying "Joel... Joel... Joel...." and finally came up with Grey just in time!

I've had haggis, and it seemed to me it was just kind of a sausage.

• Love 3
17 hours ago, tvaddict44 said:

Oh, you guys make me feel so much better!  Of course, a peacock does not call up the image of a turkey.  One is gorgeous, one is hideous looking.  Pheasants look like peacocks and I've heard are quite tasty also.  Bad clue.

I wouldn't say bad clue. After all, it was a quote from someone, so the only answer could be turkey. I can understand someone calling a turkey a peacock (of sorts) because of the tail display. The first thing that came to my mind was pheasant, but I was pretty sure they were in Europe as well, so then turkey sprung to mind. 

In yesterday's game, I got Jackie Kennedy and Coolidge (though I couldn't think of her first name), as well as the Japanese renouncing war, and Gloria Allred.

In tonight's game, the only TS I got was 'of mice and men.' I tried to guess what the FJ entertainer would be before the clue was revealed -- Sammy Davis Jr, Elvis Presley, Michael Jackson, Danny Kaye -- then gave up. When the clue was revealed, I did not have a guess. I kept trying to come up with someone who hosted the Oscars. Briefly, I thought of Bob Hope, but his Oscar was honorary, and I figured he hadn't won a Tony. When Alec mentioned his "welcome" at the beginning of the show, I immediately knew it was Joel Grey.

• Love 3
On 11/25/2016 at 3:27 AM, tvaddict44 said:

One is gorgeous, one is hideous looking. 

We have a large flock of wild turkeys that roam the neighborhood - and when the tail feathers are spread (in the manner of peacocks) it can look pretty magnificent. IMO.

6 minutes ago, tvaddict44 said:

I didn't think anything about Alex saying welcome at the beginning -- I just thought someone had told him to quit taking up so much time talking at random.

He's been doing it for so long, it seemed strange to me that they'd bother at this point. Or that they'd have much leverage over him after 30 years. Maybe it was because the other day on Final Jeopardy, he basically said if you didn't get this answer, you're stupid. (my take on his comment anyway - and I did have the FJ so it wasn't that I was personally offended). Which even for him, seemed a little over the top.

• Love 5
2 minutes ago, teebax said:

No Jeopardy thanks to football yesterday and jboard hasn't been updated. What was the.fj question?

FINAL JEOPARDY! CATEGORY
ENTERTAINERS

FINAL JEOPARDY! CLUE
He won a Tony & later an Oscar for the same role & decades later, published a memoir called "Master of Ceremonies"

I did not get FJ.  I couldn't come up with even a guess.

• Love 6
31 minutes ago, mojoween said:

Out of curiosity because my mind isn't going there, how did you all get that they meant Cabaret! from the clue?

The Master of Ceremonies is a pretty important "Greek chorus" character in Cabaret but I guess you'd have to be familiar with the play/movie to know that.

• Love 3
On November 24, 2016 at 9:21 AM, peeayebee said:

Seems like the show gives contestants more leeway when answering DDs. I guess Alex could have immediately said "No," when she just said "What is Prozac." It seems it's up to his discretion.

If you notice the contestants get the time until the lights on their podium go out to answer, so unless it's completely wrong, then they do get some time to answer. I know when I was on the show about a hundred years ago, I had a category "BC" where the answers were two words beginning with b and c. The clue that I missed was Bactrian camel but I just said Bactrian and stood there at what seemed like forever before they ruled against me. 

• Love 2
57 minutes ago, mojoween said:

Out of curiosity because my mind isn't going there, how did you all get that they meant Cabaret! from the clue?

Pretty much as @HelenBaby said, and for me the title of the book clued me in  to Cabaret!, I knew Joel had been in both the Broadway production and in the film, so it led to him for me. If the Oscar had not been in the clue, I might have gone for Cummings (who I haven't seen in the play, but I imagine he's wonderful).

Edited by Clanstarling
  • Love 3

For those of you who loved Ben Ingram (TOC 3 or so years ago) Liz is his wife.

I had just gotten home an hour ago from visiting my brother for T'giving. He lives just across the state line (in NC) from Lake Wylie, SC, so I was giggling a lot over that (turkey high...my SIL had sent a bunch of leftovers home with me.)

• Love 2
4 hours ago, tvaddict44 said:

For those of you who loved Ben Ingram (TOC 3 or so years ago) Liz is his wife.  You may remember how sweetly Ben talked about his grandmother and his fiancee when he was on.

Cool! I had to google his image to put the name with the face.

1 hour ago, Prevailing Wind said:

I had just gotten home an hour ago from visiting my brother for T'giving. He lives just across the state line (in NC) from Lake Wylie, SC, so I was giggling a lot over that (turkey high...my SIL had sent a bunch of leftovers home with me.)

Wait, is Ben Ingram your brother?

1 hour ago, Clanstarling said:

Pretty much as @HelenBaby said, and for me the title of the book clued me in  to Cabaret!, I knew Joel had been in both the Broadway production and in the film, so it led to him for me. If the Oscar had not been in the clue, I might have gone for Cummings (who I haven't seen in the play, but I imagine he's wonderful).

I love him. He released a fragrance called Cumming followed by Second Cumming. :D

• Love 4
26 minutes ago, peeayebee said:

I love him. He released a fragrance called Cumming followed by Second Cumming. :D

I do too, even if I can't seem to remember that he doesn't have an 's' at the end of his name. Though, given the name of his fragrance, I think maybe I will in the future.

• Love 3

Wait, is Ben Ingram your brother?

No. Ingram lives in Lake Wylie, SC; my bro lives in Charlotte, NC, in a part of town that's lakefront property on Lake Wylie (the lake). It's so close to LW, SC, that's where his nearest Walmart is.  They might bump into each other in the Walmart or at the gas station...(SC gas is SO much cheaper than NC or GA.)

• Love 2

I got Joel Grey after just seeing "won a Tony and later an Oscar for the same role." I don't know why, but it was the only name that came to mind, and it was just verified by the book title. Then again, I first saw Cabaret when I was about 12 years old, so it was pretty much an instaget.

• Love 2
44 minutes ago, peeayebee said:

I'm wondering if I would have gotten it without the Master of Ceremonies clue. I focused on that too much. 

It would have had to have been written completely differently without the MoC clue because several people have won a Tony and Oscar for the same role. Jose Ferrer, Rex Harrison and Yul Brynner come to mind.

Edited by biakbiak
  • Love 2
On 11/24/2016 at 8:00 PM, ottoDbusdriver said:

The FJ answer is turkeys.  On Thanksgiving.  In a Food History category.  Wow !!  That wasn't even challenging.

I got the answer as soon as I saw the category- didn't even need the question. 

• Love 2

I'd read a biography of Peter the Great some years ago, but I figured it out mainly because the Dutch have a tricolour flag and were a famous nautical power.

Edited by SeanC
  • Love 2

I had no clue for FJ, and said France.  I figured England was too obvious.

I really wanted to like Allison when she was first introduced, since I have been a research microbiologist, too, but then she went and started at the second clue down.  What really ruined her for me, though, was her admiration of the movie "Outbreak".  The science in that movie is so so bad.  So it doesn't hurt my feelings that she lost.

TS I got include The Love Song of J. Alfred Prufrock (which was a surprising TS!) and 3 Musketeers.

• Love 3

I admire those who found FJ easy. I guessed Germany even though I knew it wasn't a great naval power.

But I did know J. Alfred Prufrock, Hustle and Flow, and Katherine Lee Bates.

I agree that Alison's timid answers were annoying.

• Love 3

ChezTrey we all said France for FJ. Once we knew that was wrong I guessed Poland and DS guessed the Netherlands.

That was a very good game but I'm glad it was the current champ who won again.

I think my only ts tonight was Tecumseh.

Edited by Trey
  • Love 3

England should've been ruled correct--Peter's time in Holland is best known but he also spent time in London learning ship-building. By coincidence, I watched a documentary on the Romanovs last night.

• Love 3

Congrats again to Justin.  I liked Hobie, too, but Allison annoyed the hell out of me by always starting on the second clue.  By DJ, I was actively rooting against her.

I have some kind of brain fog tonight*.  I didn't get any TS and was totally clueless on FJ.

*Proof of brain fog - I forgot to turn on my oven and was wondering why my dinner wasn't cooking.

• Love 5
1 hour ago, ABay said:

England should've been ruled correct--Peter's time in Holland is best known but he also spent time in London learning ship-building.

It wasn't just about shipbuilding, but the relationship to the tricolour, which doesn't apply to England.

• Love 5

FJ was an instaget for reasons even I don't understand. Though when he guessed France it reminded me of a story that Seth Meyers told about his mother who was a French teacher for a 20 years realized when she visited him when he was living in Amsterdam that she had the Netherlands flag on her desk not the French flag and no one had ever noticed.

• Love 3

I too was bugged by Allison refusing to start at the top of categories. 

I got The Love Song of J Alfred Prufrock, 3 Musketeers, and Hadleyburg, the last of which surprised me. How did that manage to stick in my mind?

I could not remember Hustle & Flow at all.

I guessed The Netherlands. I wasn't sure of the colors of the Russian flag, and obviously I don't know Finland's, Norway's, and Sweden's colors either because I was thinking they were combos of baby blue, white, and maybe yellow, and I didn't think Russia was those colors. So, in short, I stumbled into The Netherlands.

• Love 2
15 hours ago, SeanC said:

It wasn't just about shipbuilding, but the relationship to the tricolour, which doesn't apply to England.

The British flag is tri-color: red, white, and blue.

Edited by ABay
peeayebee
  • Love 2
9 hours ago, teebax said:

I got FJ immediately and was surprised it was a TS. I also got Hustle & Flow.

Agreed on both counts. Hustle & Flow picking up that Oscar was one of the two surprise stories of that Oscars night and if you know your Oscar or movie trivia, it seemed like an easy one to me. And yes, I got the FJ though I do think that one was much harder.

• Love 2

According to the dictionary definition, a tricolor isn't just any flag with three colors, it's "a flag of three colors arranged in equal horizontal or vertical bands" (Webster's 11th).  So the French and German flags would be tricolors, but the American flag wouldn't, even though they all have three colors.

• Love 6

I guessed incorrectly at FJ and what chaps my hides is last week I watched a Nexflix show on the Romanovs and there was a whole section devoted to PtG and his shipbuilding!

I was rooting for Hobie cuz I like his name.  But moving back to CA to participate in Sound Of Music sing alongs at the Hollywood Bowl annoyed me.

• Love 2
9 hours ago, tvaddict44 said:

I was rooting for Hobie all the way through. 

I really liked Hobie because he was great at smiling and guessing at the same time--something you don't see a lot of on J. And the country needs smiles now MORE THAN EVER!!!

• Love 6
7 hours ago, ABay said:

The British flag is tri-color: red, white, and blue.

It's not a tricolour, and more to the point, it wasn't the basis for the Russian flag, which was the point of the clue.  Peter based the Russian flag on the Dutch flag.

• Love 6

Did y'all get today's FJ - 1984?

I did not, but I slapped myself on the head when the correct response was revealed.  Definitely guessable in the best J! tradition of clues that allow you to guess.

• Love 1