Type keyword(s) to search

Jeopardy! Season 33 (2016-2017)

Athena
  • Start Topic

I just remembered the response that cracked me up.  In the Fowl category, the clue was something about a breeder in the 1950s making a chicken with a particular British place-name "rock."  And Jamie said "Gibraltar."  Made me very hungry for that old favorite, Rock of Gibraltar hen.

• Love 8

I only got Jimmy Carter BECAUSE of Alex's bad Southern accent.

Periscope was easy for me, but then, I like naval stuff.

I got pheasant under glass, Lou Gehrig, San Diego (a total guess), grog, and Ft. Wayne (Hi there, Mad Anthony!).  I agree that they shouldn't have accepted Canadian geese for Canada geese.  And I, too, was saying "Pat, Pat S-something, not Summerall but something like that".

• Love 3
16 hours ago, peeayebee said:

[small voice] I said crow's nest and stuck with it. 

Glad I'm not the only one who thought of it! It was noticing the word "device" in the clue that cracked me up and made me change my mind.

• Love 1

I hated all the contestants today.  Between the rocking and the starting in the middles of categories, it was annoying.  Otherwise, a fairly decent game, though I was sad that they didn't finish the Fish category. 

I was completely clueless for FJ, but I did get Cassius, Gabriel Garcia Marquez (without the accent), Halibut and Zambia. 

As much as I complain about Alex, I wanna go to the Galapagos with him!

• Love 4

I was surprised no one knew Cassius, because I thought that Julius Caesar was one of the "Introduction to Shakespeare" plays usually read in high school, along with Romeo and Juliet. I also knew Marquez and treatment.

I knew FJ referred to an antitrust act, but I just couldn't think of Sherman.

I didn't particularly notice Jamie's swaying until you all mentioned it. Tonight it was all I could see and I started rooting against him. I don't care about the board hopping any more. Emmett is OK by me; he could be Ryan Gosling's brother. *shallow*

• Love 2

I thought I was going to have to take Dramamine because Jamie's swaying was making me nauseated, but at least he started at the top.  Sorry he's gone.  I couldn't stand the other two contestants.

I got Cassius, Dominions, and cedar.

I knew FJ was referring to an anti-trust law, but I didn't know it's specific name.

I'll even let Alex use stupid accents if he takes me to the Galapagos!

• Love 5

I was sad nobody got Dominion. And the guess of 'Zaire' made me sad as well, since that hasn't been the name of the country for 20 years.

I had never even heard of the law for FJ, though.

• Love 1

I didn't know FJ. I didn't even have a guess.

What was the question where Zambia was the answer? I thought it was last alphabetically, but Zimbabwe was wrong.

I got Marquez, halibut, and cedar. Instead of halibut, Diana had said flounder, so it bugged me when the right answer was given and Alex said, "Yes. Flat fish."  Flounder IS flat, so shut up, Alex! 

• Love 5

I was rooting for Emmett after both Diana & Jamie waved during their introduction. I am all for being friendly, but this is Jeopardy, not Family Feud or The Price Is Right. Plus he's cute. 

Diana's 2nd job of fact checker for pub trivia is cool (J! could use her), but she was dead to me once she started DD hunting. But her visible happiness at getting them both correct was nice.  

I think that if you are going to have a category titled 3 Name Authors, the contestants should be required to give all 3 names.

The first round DD was crazy easy, but since I have CRS I cannot recall it off hand. 

TS I got were Casius, etiquette, & Armand Hammer. Like Diana, I guessed conflict of interest for FJ, but Dr. Toothbrush said anti-trust (without Sherman). 

4 hours ago, Driad said:

Wow, another prop!  (The pencil.)

Dr. Toothbrush said the same thing. 

Edited by Toothbrush
  • Love 5
6 hours ago, Toothbrush said:

I think that if you are going to have a category titled 3 Name Authors, the contestants should be required to give all 3 names.

Yes!  I was so annoyed when Alex read the category, then said you only have to give one name.  Then what's the point?  The category could just be called Authors, then.

• Love 16

Really.  Three named authors should require all 3 names.  The dumbing down of Jeopardy!  Or should we note this this the moment when the show jumped the shark?  Sherman Anti Trust is one of 2 things I remember from college American History class.

• Love 7
13 hours ago, GreekGeek said:

I knew FJ referred to an antitrust act, but I just couldn't think of Sherman.

I didn't particularly notice Jamie's swaying until you all mentioned it. Tonight it was all I could see and I started rooting against him. I don't care about the board hopping any more. Emmett is OK by me; he could be Ryan Gosling's brother. *shallow*

I hadn't even noticed the complaints on the forum, but boy, it was so bad I couldn't even look at the screen when the camera was on him. I'm not particularly a fan of Ryan Gosling (I know, I'm strange), but I do think Emmet is good looking.

• Love 2

The Tribble prop was ok, but what was the point -- hee -- of the pencil prop? None, I say. I think Alex just wants to hold things.

1 hour ago, PaulaO said:

Sherman Anti Trust is one of 2 things I remember from college American History class.

And the other?

• Love 3
12 hours ago, Toothbrush said:

Agreed.  I missed Gabriel Garcia Marquez, though.  I knew who they wanted but could not get the name out of my brain in time.

• Love 3

Joan was very poky.  Also she was super sure about her way wrong answers, I found it fascinating.

I said Amy Adams too.  While I like Melissa McCarthy, I could have stood there for the rest of the year and not come up with her name.

• Love 10

Emmett bugged me to no end tonight.  I'm glad he lost. 

I also said Amy Adams.  Melissa McCarthy never occurred to me.  I was sad that Star Trek was a TS, and surprised that no one knew Me Before You.  Also, Terra Cotta Warriors has got to be one of the easiest DDs ever.

• Love 9

Julia Child was a super easy DD too. 

I know the movie just came out but I did not get Me Before You, I could not remember the title. I don't think "you know, that movie Emilia Clarke was just in?" would cut it.  Star Trek as a TS made me so very sad too.  

• Love 6
17 minutes ago, mojoween said:

Joan was very poky.  Also she was super sure about her way wrong answers, I found it fascinating.

I said Amy Adams too.  While I like Melissa McCarthy, I could have stood there for the rest of the year and not come up with her name.

I had a hard time coming up with any alliterative name, until I thought of Susan Sarandon at the last minute. I would never have come up with Melissa McCarthy either. Joanne's slowness annoyed me too, and I thought she had a serious case of resting bitch face.

I'm not a Star Trek buff, and even I came up with it. Also Me Before You--nice spoiler there, show!

I was rooting for Nilanka after that story about Latin class, although his teacher was silly to give him the extra credit without making him give her the Latin-themed Jeopardy! questions.

• Love 4
35 minutes ago, mojoween said:

Julia Child was a super easy DD too. 

I know the movie just came out but I did not get Me Before You, I could not remember the title. I don't think "you know, that movie Emilia Clarke was just in?" would cut it.  Star Trek as a TS made me so very sad too.  

The really sad thing about Joan's answer of "What is Butterfly Effect ?" is that there actually were 3 movies in that franchise -- first one wasn't that good and it went downhill from there.

I was also sad that Star Trek was a TS -- the clue even mentioned James Doohan who will always be Scotty to me (sorry Simon Pegg).

Edited by ottoDbusdriver
  • Love 5

Not many TS tonight. I think Joanne was going to answer The Terminator for that hasta la vista question and realized her mistake so got buzzed out. I totally blanked for FJ today, all I could think of was Marilyn Monroe which of course I knew was incorrect. I like Emmett and was sorry he lost but congrats to Nilanka.

As an aside - the Galapagos are not high up on my bucket list of places to visit but it would be way worse to go wth AT.

• Love 3

I think I'm in love with Nilanka even if he started his interview (loved the Latin story) with "so".  He started at the top, seems smart, had no hideous quirks and beat that creepy starting at the bottom Emmett.

I got Star Trek (Scotty!) and Halt and Catch Fire.

For FJ I guessed Amy Adams, too.  I never would have guessed Melissa McCarthy in a million years.  

• Love 5

I'm so glad Nilanka won.  Could not stand Emmett.  I came up with zilch for FJ.  If it had been a multiple choice question and Melissa McCarthy was one of the choices, I still wouldn't have guessed her.   

• Love 7
12 hours ago, peeayebee said:

The Tribble prop was ok, but what was the point -- hee -- of the pencil prop? None, I say. I think Alex just wants to hold things.

And the other?

A president (can't remember who) died after eating cucumbers and drinking cold milk.

• Love 1
2 hours ago, ottoDbusdriver said:

I was also sad that Star Trek was a TS -- the clue even mentioned James Doohan who will always be Scotty to me

That's what threw me - I wasn't completely paying attention, and I assumed if James Doohan was the voice of the computer, it wouldn't be Star Trek.

• Love 4
34 minutes ago, burner said:

What was the FJ question? I totally spaced out and only came back around after hearing "Amy Adams".

Copying from J! website: 

FORBES SAYS JENNIFER LAWRENCE WAS THE HIGHEST-PAID ACTRESS IN 2016; THIS ALLITERATIVE WOMAN WAS SECOND

Ashamed to say I could not come up with it: Melissa McCarthy

• Love 2
4 minutes ago, Roaster said:

Copying from J! website: 

FORBES SAYS JENNIFER LAWRENCE WAS THE HIGHEST-PAID ACTRESS IN 2016; THIS ALLITERATIVE WOMAN WAS SECOND

Thank you! And didn't realize it was on the J! website. Will check that moving forward.

I like to think I could have gotten Melissa McCarthy but that's easy to say now that I've been spoiled. But I like her a lot and know that she's done REALLY well. 

2 hours ago, Moose135 said:

That's what threw me - I wasn't completely paying attention, and I assumed if James Doohan was the voice of the computer, it wouldn't be Star Trek.

I assumed the same thing, but then since I know nothing else about Doohan, I just said Star Trek anyway!

Good Riddance was a total gimme for me - it's the sound of high school - and I also knew Dog Days are Over.

• Love 2

Glad Nilanka won. Joanne was too slow and had too many dumb guesses, and Elliott bugged me today even though I liked him well enough yesterday. Starting in the middle of categories didn't help. 

Julia Child & terra cotta army were way too easy for DDs. I think that lately the DDs are relatively the easiest questions in their categories. Terra cotta army especially was kids/teen level. 

The only TS I got was Good Riddance, and also guessed Amy Adams for FJ. I never would have come up with Melissa McCarthy.

2 hours ago, Moose135 said:

I thought the same thing, but Dr. Toothbrush got it. 

• Love 1

Zachary Taylor was the president who died after eating cukes and cherries and drinking ice-milk. I mentioned him in my 1840s-1850s history-mystery-romance...co-starring PT Barnum...that I just turned in to my publisher (yay).

I LOVE writing historical fiction.

However, peeayebee, I couldn't think of Sherman anti-trust :)

• Love 3
3 hours ago, Mystery Author said:

Zachary Taylor was the president who died after eating cukes and cherries and drinking ice-milk. I mentioned him in my 1840s-1850s history-mystery-romance...co-starring PT Barnum...that I just turned in to my publisher (yay).

I LOVE writing historical fiction.

However, peeayebee, I couldn't think of Sherman anti-trust :)

Live and learn. I knew about the cherries and milk but I did not know that cucumbers were involved too. Taylor's death started an urban legend that eating cherries and milk together is poisonous, but if that were so, there would be no cherry vanilla ice cream. 

If you like dark humor, see this look at what Taylor might have been thinking while sick. It's the last of the three internal monologues. Taft's is really funny also. "Adult language" warning.

Good Riddance was a total gimme for me - it's the sound of high school

It was also played at the end of the last episode of Seinfeld.

• Love 2

I would never have gotten Melissa McCarthy.  She's not even on my radar.  And ashamed to say I wouldn't have gotten terra cotta army.  Seems like DDs now exist to only to test your wagering guts.

• Love 1

I didn't think of Melissa McCarthy even though I did enjoy Ghostbusters. I too went Amy Adams because she had Batman vs Superman and Arrival though I had a hard time believing she cleared more than Scarlett Johansson who I knew wasn't right because of the lack of alliteration. Turns out Amy Adams was 7th overall. Still pretty good!

I was also heartbroken that no one got Star Trek. I think people forget just how cheap that show had to be in a lot of areas to cover the costs of the more expensive things. Cast members doubled up on voices frequently. By the animated series, James Doohan and Majel Barrett were providing most of the secondary character voices.

I also got Halt and Catch Fire but I'm not surprised it was missed. I enjoyed the show but it's ratings were never high so I can easily see how no one got it.

• Love 3
14 hours ago, mojoween said:

I completely blanked out on actresses names - Melissa popped into my head at the last second, but I didn't think it was right. If I'd remembered Amy, I would have said her.

14 hours ago, Browncoat said:

I also said Amy Adams.  Melissa McCarthy never occurred to me.  I was sad that Star Trek was a TS, and surprised that no one knew Me Before You.  Also, Terra Cotta Warriors has got to be one of the easiest DDs ever.

You know, I loved the Terra Cotta Warriors, read all about them as a kid, but all I got was a visual of them at the archeological dig. I could not, for the life of me, remember what they were called. I came up with clay - but nothing else.

10 hours ago, Moose135 said:

I recognized the episode....(yeah, total Star Trek geek)

• Love 2
13 hours ago, PaulaO said:

A president (can't remember who) died after eating cucumbers and drinking cold milk.

Zachary Taylor - he died of some non-specific digestive problem (his doctor called it "cholera morbus" which covered a lot of things, but not actual cholera, apparently) after supposedly consuming a large quantity of fruit and iced milk at a holiday celebration/fund-raising event at the Washington Memorial.

• Love 1

A thunderstorm knocked out my satellite for most of Jeopardy! I just saw up to the first break and FJ - I could picture Melissa McCarthy and knew her first name, but her last name eluded me...but I knew who they wanted.

Sorry I missed Joanne's goofy guesses - I love goofy guesses, the goofier, the better:)

• Love 2
13 hours ago, Roaster said:

Copying from J! website: 

Ashamed to say I could not come up with it: Melissa McCarthy

I said, "Who is Jennifer Jawrence?"

I like Melissa McCarthy and have since Gilmore Girls, but didn't even think of her.

• Love 6