Type keyword(s) to search

Jeopardy! Season 33 (2016-2017)

Athena
  • Start Topic

4 hours ago, bad things are bad said:

Now in theatres??? So tacky, Jeopardy. I thought you had class. 

If those types of ads keep the show on the air, I'm okay with it. Whether or not they are keeping the show on the air, I have no idea. I've never researched Jeopardy's ratings, but I suspect Wheel of Fortune does better, what with their popsicle bikes and such.

Edited by teebax
I forgot that inane WOF response
  • Love 2

After many, many months of lurking I finally signed up for an account for these forums literally just so I could yell "LUGESTERS?" in a disbelieving manner at people who would understand what I was talking about. I mean...

LUGESTERS??  Oh, Greg. 

• Love 9

Counting the cars on the New Jersey Turnpike
They've all come to look for America

Oh Atissa, digging herself into a hole with those DDs.  At least Alex was pulling for her.

• Love 5

I live in New York Alex and said The Garden State Parkway so there.

I missed yesterday's show so was disappointed to see Pat not there boo hiss.

So many TS today.  And that girl on the end with her wild guesses and slow choosing and "um" 6,457 times drove me bonkers.

I have to tell you guys that I say the word "so" a fuckton and know I start a million stories with that word (I blame my mother for that really because she does it).  If I ever make the show I'll tell you so you can rag on me because I can almost guarantee my interview would start with "so."  Did I ever mention I'm basically a Valley Girl?

• Love 7

Steve, dammit!  I was counting on you!  I'm glad that asshat Greg still didn't get a DD and am sorry he won.  Atissa gets an award for number of Goofy Guesses.

I got holding pattern, meatball, mercury, Nicholas and Alexandra (missed DD), and Neptune Society.

FJ was an instaget and I've always lived smack dab in the middle of the country, Alex.  I-80 ran through my hometown.  It helps that I love Simon and Garfunkel.  I've driven the New Jersey Turnpike dozens of times and never noticed rest stops named for people.  I was probably trying to avoid being creamed by speeding semi-trucks.

• Love 7
4 minutes ago, Spunkygal said:

Can't remember the wording but did the girl on the end guess that chlorine or its compounds was used in treating syphillis??? 

I think she was focusing more on the 'antiseptic' part of the clue when she said chlorine. Also, a bunch of drugs (though not penicillin) are complexed with hydrochloride. Not that I would call those compounds chlorine derivatives, but still. It wasn't as awful a guess as it initially sounded to me.

• Love 1
21 minutes ago, Spunkygal said:

Can't remember the wording but did the girl on the end guess that chlorine or its compounds was used in treating syphillis??? 

Yes.. in the "Planetary..." category, no less! That would've been an easy one if she had remembered the category.

• Love 5
31 minutes ago, CarpeDiem54 said:

I've driven the New Jersey Turnpike dozens of times and never noticed rest stops named for people.  I was probably trying to avoid being creamed by speeding semi-trucks.

I've always been depressed by these, as I sure as hell wouldn't want some rest stop named after me, and I bet most people wouldn't.

• Love 4
1 hour ago, mojoween said:

I live in New York Alex and said The Garden State Parkway so there.

Boo hiss...of course, you are from Upstate, so we understand.  As a Long Island native, I've driven the NJT so many times, I recognized the rest stop names - I didn't know it was in a song.

• Love 4
1 hour ago, mojoween said:

I have to tell you guys that I say the word "so" a fuckton and know I start a million stories with that word (I blame my mother for that really because she does it).  If I ever make the show I'll tell you so you can rag on me because I can almost guarantee my interview would start with "so."  Did I ever mention I'm basically a Valley Girl?

I take the "So" off half the posts I type! Never mind talking out loud where you don't get to edit.

20 minutes ago, Moose135 said:

Boo hiss...of course, you are from Upstate, so we understand.  As a Long Island native, I've driven the NJT so many times, I recognized the rest stop names - I didn't know it was in a song.

I know the song, but also knew the rest stops. 

• Love 7
29 minutes ago, Moose135 said:

As a Long Island native, I've driven the NJT so many times, I recognized the rest stop names

Me, too!  I was sad for Joyce Kilmer that he got left out of that group of names.  Although he's probably fine with it.  You write the most famous poem in the English language about trees, and then people remember you as a convenient place to pee.  Kind of humbling.  They also left out Molly Pitcher and Clara Barton, of course.  Women.

If I were hypnotized, I could probably recite all of them in order, like the stops on my line of the LIRR.

• Love 7
1 hour ago, Fex said:

Yes.. in the "Planetary..." category, no less! That would've been an easy one if she had remembered the category.

Apparently no one remembered the category, not just Atissa. I admit that I forgot it too. I blame the board-jumping.

I only got holding pattern, Nicholas & Alexandra, earthenware (after Atissa's guess of terra cotta, prompting me to remember the category), and Neptune Society (though I first thought Poseidon then realized that didn't sound quite right).

I didn't get FJ. I guessed Route 66.

• Love 6

I had no clue on that FJ.  That seems like a pretty specific and hard question. Unless you actually live in the NY/NJ area, how would you know that?  Or why would you know that? 

I just guessed the National Road. 

Terra Cotta was actually a good guess, and I thought they might so its OK, but its only 10 letters. 

And that octopus story was one of the best ones I have ever heard among the normally mundane things you here on Jeopardy. 

• Love 3
2 minutes ago, DrSpaceman73 said:

I had no clue on that FJ.  That seems like a pretty specific and hard question. Unless you actually live in the NY/NJ area, how would you know that?  Or why would you know that?

I've listened to "America" more times than I can count (and for more years than I can count), so for me it was an instaget.

• Love 9
13 minutes ago, SyracuseMug said:

I've listened to "America" more times than I can count (and for more years than I can count), so for me it was an instaget.

Me too and sang the entire song pacing myself so I could shout out "counting the cars on the New Jersey Turnpike." Also, born and raised and currently live on the West Coast, so suck it Trebeck!

• Love 4
4 minutes ago, DrSpaceman73 said:

still seems pretty esoteric to be naming rest stops off a road as part of a clue. 

Not really given that all of them have one thing famously in common: New Jersey.

• Love 5

Born, raised and still a north Texan here and FJ was an instaget for me and I've never been on the NJTurnpike!  But I freaking love S&G and had their eight track tapes in college. Yes, I'm ancient. So, yeah, to quote @biakbiak, suck it Trebek.

• Love 8
14 hours ago, Lois Sandborne said:

And I thought it was crazy no one rang in and scooped up pumice after lava was ruled incorrect.

I was surprised too. It was the only TS I got in Monday's game.

Sad that Pat lost. Not only did I like her, we are now stuck with board jumper Greg. Although I did think lugesters was funny, and other than his category/value jumping I like him just fine. 

Tuesday's TS I got were Lady Gaga, meatballs, mercury, & the missed DD of Nicholas II & Alexandra. 

Steve's story made me laugh & cringe at the same time <shudder> 

I was clueless on FJ for both days. 

• Love 1

I had no clue on the area or the song, so I was frantically trying to analyze the names of the rest stops and had only gotten as far as "they're all from New Jersey" before the buzzer rang. Not sure if I would have made the leap to the Turnpike. 

• Love 1
9 hours ago, biakbiak said:

Not really given that all of them have one thing famously in common: New Jersey.

I don't think most people think of New Jersey when they think of Vince Lombardi.  His only connection to NJ was he coached high school football there.  He was born in Brooklyn and spent his most famous years in Green Bay.  He was an assistant for the Giants but they did not play their games in NJ at the time. 

Same with Woodrow Wilson.  He was not born in NY and is best known as a president, but he was president of Princeton. 

New Jersey is not the first state or area that comes to mind with either one of them. 

• Love 1
3 minutes ago, DrSpaceman73 said:

I don't think most people think of New Jersey when they think of Vince Lombardi.  His only connection to NJ was he coached high school football there.  He was born in Brooklyn and spent his most famous years in Green Bay.  He was an assistant for the Giants but they did not play their games in NJ at the time. 

Same with Woodrow Wilson.  He was not born in NY and is best known as a president, but he was president of Princeton. 

New Jersey is not the first state or area that comes to mind with either one of them. 

FJ shouldn't be in IG but a hugely iconic song and Edison, Wilson and Lombardi seems pretty easy to work out. 

• Love 1
10 hours ago, DrSpaceman73 said:

Terra Cotta was actually a good guess, and I thought they might so its OK, but its only 10 letters.

I did too, since terra means earth. But then I counted out the letters.

37 minutes ago, DrSpaceman73 said:

The mister was trying to give me a hint and asked where one of the named people came from (I forget which) and I kind of waved to the right (as if it were a map of the US). Sorry New Jersey (where I've never been). Sorry S&G - because I love that song and got stuck from after an immediate "Route 66" (before reading the whole clue). Now if they'd said a Springsteen or Bon Jovi rest stop, I might have gotten it.

• Love 1

Any question with Edison in it always makes me think Jersey regardless of any other information.  But the Turnpike would not have occurred to me in one million years.

I think Turpike and think Massachusetts.  And then get all twitchy because driving on that road makes me homicidal.

• Love 1

"America" was not only a hit for Simon and Garfunkel, but it was also covered by the group Yes a few years later, so it's a well-traveled song. I started singing it before Alex was done reading the clue. Looks like this FJ was either an instaget or left one totally baffled. 

On the Cruz question, I'd just like to state that the time he read "Green Eggs and Ham" on the floor was not a filibuster. That's giving that stunt a legitimacy it doesn't deserve. It was merely Cruz luxuriating in the sound of his own voice. There was nothing to filibuster at the time, he just wanted the attention. It was NOT a filibuster, despite what J! says. Just thought I'd clear that up.

• Love 6

So... I guess I stumbled into the correct answer of earthenware. I was thinking the category was Planets somethingeruther. Not sure I would have gotten it if I remembered the actual category, 11-Letter Words.

• Love 3
5 minutes ago, peeayebee said:

So... I guess I stumbled into the correct answer of earthenware. I was thinking the category was Planets somethingeruther. Not sure I would have gotten it if I remembered the actual category, 11-Letter Words.

I, too, thought it was a clue in the Planet category. If I were a contestant, I would screw myself with occasionally forgetting the category.

• Love 2
1 hour ago, peeayebee said:

I don't normally mind boardhopping, but the frenetic nature of the champion's form of boardhopping is bothering me.  The category was Planetary People and Things, and the clue was "11-letter word for pottery of hardened clay."  I checked J-archive because I didn't trust my memory.  There wasn't an 11-letter word category :) It's hard to keep track of the categories when every clue comes from a different one!

• Love 7
On ‎04‎/‎09‎/‎2017 at 1:05 PM, Clanstarling said:

I always say Perry when it has anything to do with arctic/antarctic exploration - so I'm wrong most of the time (and woefully ignorant).

For me, if it's a Norwegian, it's Amundsen.  If it's a Englishman, it's either Shackleton or Scott of the An-tarc-tic (with electric penguins).  If it's an American, I usually end up mashing Robert Peary and Matthew Henson into one big explorer named Matthew Peary.  You think I'd know by now, but you'd be wrong.  And I picked the wrong show to not tape while I was at the opening of the local historical society's WWI exhibit, 'cause I liked a lot of the categories.

On ‎04‎/‎10‎/‎2017 at 1:31 PM, Mondrianyone said:

I'll keep an open mind, but somehow I think corn blasted at 550 degrees for forty minutes (!) wouldn't be my recipe for the Big O.

Corn on the cob should be cooked for ten minutes or so in boiling water.  Possibly grilled - although I've never actually tried that.

I did extensive research on Caribbean vacation destinations several years ago, and so I can smugly say that I knew the correct pronunciation of Dominica.  (If it hadn't been so hard to get to then, I would've chosen it because it sounded wonderful.)

• Love 2
On ‎04‎/‎10‎/‎2017 at 7:59 PM, Browncoat said:

Unfortunately, he won anyway.  Boo, hiss.

FJ was an instaget for me.  I have no idea who Thomas Hobbes is.

I knew who they wanted but couldn't think of Melville's name.  Do you think they would've accepted "the guy who wrote Moby Dick"?

• Love 2
17 hours ago, CarpeDiem54 said:

Steve, dammit!  I was counting on you!  I'm glad that asshat Greg still didn't get a DD and am sorry he won.  Atissa gets an award for number of Goofy Guesses.

I got holding pattern, meatball, mercury, Nicholas and Alexandra (missed DD), and Neptune Society.

FJ was an instaget and I've always lived smack dab in the middle of the country, Alex.  I-80 ran through my hometown.  It helps that I love Simon and Garfunkel.  I've driven the New Jersey Turnpike dozens of times and never noticed rest stops named for people.  I was probably trying to avoid being creamed by speeding semi-trucks.

I got all of those except Neptune.

Last time friends and I went to Atlantic City, I think we stopped at the Edison rest stop to go to the bathroom.  FJ was an instaget, because I love that song.  And I just found out yesterday afternoon that Woodrow Wilson was governor of New Jersey - thank you, PBS.  (Actually, on second thought, we were on the Atlantic City Expressway when we made our bathroom stop.  But I HAVE stopped at the Joyce Kilmer rest stop on the NJT.)

16 hours ago, secnarf said:

I think she was focusing more on the 'antiseptic' part of the clue when she said chlorine. Also, a bunch of drugs (though not penicillin) are complexed with hydrochloride. Not that I would call those compounds chlorine derivatives, but still. It wasn't as awful a guess as it initially sounded to me.

I knew that one from reading about pirates.  You should see the size of the needles used to inject mercury into their, um, infected areas.

Edited by proserpina65
  • Love 1
16 hours ago, dcalley said:

I've always been depressed by these, as I sure as hell wouldn't want some rest stop named after me, and I bet most people wouldn't.

I think there's one named for Joyce Kilmer, too.

14 hours ago, DrSpaceman73 said:

And that octopus story was one of the best ones I have ever heard among the normally mundane things you here on Jeopardy.

I loved that story.  Between it and the KGB story, this was one interview section I'm glad I watched.

14 hours ago, DrSpaceman73 said:

Unless you actually live in the NY/NJ area, how would you know that?

I knew the song "America" referenced the New Jersey Turnpike.

• Love 1

Chicago person here who answered Route 66 for  FJ!  The rest of the evening I was singing snatches of "America" to the cat and couldn't get past "it took us four days to hitchhike from/to Saginaw Island????"  I wanted to Steve to win because 1.  I hate Greg and 2.  I loved his story about his boss biting the eye of the octopus.

• Love 2

I was unable to watch last night, and I did remember to record it, but after visiting j-archive and seeing that Greg won again, I am going to delete it from my DVR without watching.  I'm not sure how I'll manage tonight, watching live.

FJ would have been an instaget for me.  I love S&G, and was fortunate enough to be able to see them in concert several years ago in DC.  I am thinking about going to see just Paul Simon in June, too.

• Love 1
2 hours ago, Pallida said:

The category was Planetary People and Things, and the clue was "11-letter word for pottery of hardened clay."  I checked J-archive because I didn't trust my memory.  There wasn't an 11-letter word category :) It's hard to keep track of the categories when every clue comes from a different one!

Thank you! Man, I'm getting so confused. Y'know, I'm thinking Greg is using Arthur Chu's playbook. Didn't Chu say that one reason to board-hop is to disorient the other contestants? But what about us poor viewers? :(

• Love 3
3 hours ago, proserpina65 said:

Corn on the cob should be cooked for ten minutes or so in boiling water.  Possibly grilled - although I've never actually tried that.

I've cooked it in the oven, in the husk with the silk. It came out great- the silk kind of dissolves IIRC. But I lost the recipe, so haven't tried it again.

• Love 1

I'm going to plug First Aid Kit's great cover of "America," from one of Letterman's last shows. (It was one of the songs he would sing to his son.) If you want to skip the intro, go to 1:55. link

1 hour ago, peeayebee said:

Thank you! Man, I'm getting so confused. Y'know, I'm thinking Greg is using Arthur Chu's playbook. Didn't Chu say that one reason to board-hop is to disorient the other contestants? But what about us poor viewers? :(

I imagine that when you're on the show, the viewers don't matter to you.

• Love 2
27 minutes ago, dcalley said:

I'm going to plug First Aid Kit's great cover of "America," from one of Letterman's last shows. (It was one of the songs he would sing to his son.) If you want to skip the intro, go to 1:55. link

I imagine that when you're on the show, the viewers don't matter to you.

They used that cover over the Apollo 11 launch on The Astronaut Wives Club - I ended up downloading it immediately afterward.

I don't mind some board-hopping, especially late in the game, but it's pointless to do it early in the first round.  No one generally has enough money to make hitting the Daily Double early worth the annoyance.

• Love 3

I am embarrassed to say that I am not familiar with the song America by Simon and Garfunkel, yet I am a huge fan of theirs.  I listened to it on youtube this morning and it rang no bells with me.  I was certainly around then but I guess it somehow was under my radar. Needless to say, I did not get FJ.

• Love 4

What really drives me nuts is when someone continues to board-hop after the one DD has been exposed.  At that juncture it's pointless, unless your point is just to disorient your opponents.  And in that case you'd better be damn sure that you (not you personally, you the board-hopper) are good enough not to get disoriented yourself.  We've seen more cases where the board-hopper ends up not knowing the answers to all those random clues than we've seen people who are successful at it.  I'll take Cutting Off Your Own Nose to Spite Your Face for $800, Alex.

• Love 13