Type keyword(s) to search

Jeopardy! Season 33 (2016-2017)

Athena
  • Start Topic

5 hours ago, Clanstarling said:

That's the only reason I knew the answer - well, I guess since I knew Israel's colors I would have gotten it. But still. I really hate to be fair here, but those tiny icons can be difficult for aging eyes to distinguish. I see them all the time in online reports I work with, and it can be a struggle. But of course, I double-check before using them.

I like the way you operate. Run for office?

13 hours ago, Scott said:

"We pay people to tweet ads, but pretend they're not ads."

13 hours ago, DrScottie said:

That's pretty much it. She founded Heartbeat. It's also has an element of multi-level marketing too. The more people you get to sign up, the more money you make. 

From her bio: Kate's three passions in life are tech, bringing people together, and becoming the reigning champion on Jeopardy. The very first "Heartbeat Girl", Kate fully embraces the Beyoncé playbook. Who runs the world? Girls.

As Meat Loaf said, two out of three ain't bad. 

I try not to be negative about contestants, but her description of her company turned me off, and what I see online isn't helping. "Empowering real millennial women to be their authentic selves on social media" by getting paid to promote brands, sometimes while wearing bikinis.

I wonder if those electric organ classical pieces will come back in a future game, since they left four of them uncovered. (I hope not, unless the organist will get more money!)

• Love 7
(edited)

I was aghast at a picture of meerkats in an adult Jeopardy! game...

And then Neil said lemurs.  And it reminds me how things that can be so obvious to one person are not to another.  Also why I so very often am wrong on FJ.  Like today, for instance.

And what's with the love for Maryland all of a sudden?  There are other states you know.

Neil was a crazy guesser.  I can't get behind that.

Again we left clues on the board.  I completely blame Rob because he's the common denominator.

Edited by mojoween
  • Love 5

Knoxville was an easy TS for me -- my grandparents lived there in 1982, and we had season tickets to the World's Fair that year.  I was surprised they all missed Tennyson, Coleridge and Shelley, though. 

I can't feel too sorry for Nil, not making FJ.  He had some pretty wild-ass guesses. 

FJ was another that was terribly easy in hindsight, though I missed it in the moment, but I don't think I ever in a million, brazilian years would have answered Jefferson. 

• Love 4
(edited)
15 minutes ago, M. Darcy said:

Of course it was McHenry. Heh Camp David and Ft McHenry - my local knowledge is paying off. 

I now see the Meloni resemblance. 

I was thrown by the FJ clue because it kind of made it sound like the object was already a national monument in 1803 when it was named after this person, but Fort McHenry wasn't declared a National Monument until 1939.  I completely missed on the 'completed' portion of the clue.   My bad.

For TS I got Britannia and Pixie.

The northernmost sports franchise multiple choice category was pretty easy.

Found the 5 word movie descriptions to be a little confusing because of all the alliteration.

Edited by ottoDbusdriver
  • Love 3

I knew St Louis was 1904 and I have no idea why. I ran the zoo category. Although it was very easy-meerkats? Nixon, China, Pandas? I also got French Guyana. It amazes me people don't study up on Central and South American countries and capitols before going on Jeopardy since they always have these types of questions. And people constantly blow them, for example "what country is directly south of Mexico?" was guessed wrong.  

Two Maryland clues in one week! 

• Love 2
5 minutes ago, M. Darcy said:

Aw, and no one knew Knoxville (I used to live there). And yet another question that they would known if they only watched The Simpsons. 

I haven't been a regular watcher of The Simpsons in years. Can you explain?

I knew St. Louis because of the Judy Garland movie.

I blanked on FJ, trying to figure it out from my memories of the musical 1776, although that was about the signers of the Declaration of Independence, not the Constitution. I agree it was puzzling to have two Maryland FJ clues in the same week. My guess is that they were writing a category on Maryland history (like the one on Tennessee history today--see, they did ask about other states!) and had a few good clues left over.

I have nothing against Rob, but I don't want to see any more runaways with only two in FJ. Shallow note: Alex wasn't nearly as sad about Nils not making it to FJ as he was about Kate yesterday!

• Love 4
55 minutes ago, ottoDbusdriver said:

I was thrown by the FJ clue because it kind of made it sound like the object was already a national monument in 1803 when it was named after this person, but Fort McHenry wasn't declared a National Monument until 1939.  I completely missed on the 'completed' portion of the clue.   My bad.

Another TS Maryland clue. I didn't get it either. I thought Lord Baltimore too. 
If they mentioned the War of 1812, I would have gotten it

12 minutes ago, GreekGeek said:

I have nothing against Rob, but I don't want to see any more runaways with only two in FJ. Shallow note: Alex wasn't nearly as sad about Nils not making it to FJ as he was about Kate yesterday!

. I wonder why that might be... hmm...

47 minutes ago, operalover said:

French Guyana

Both not knowing what country is west of Spain and thinking the Ivory Coast was next to Suriname, geography hasn't been a particularly strong suit this week. 

• Love 3
11 minutes ago, GreekGeek said:

I haven't been a regular watcher of The Simpsons in years. Can you explain?

It's a 20-year-old episode (a good one) where Bart and some other boys go to Knoxville, only to find out the World's Fair is long gone. (They had consulted an old guidebook.)

• Love 4

Congrats to Rob.  Being a total weirdo, I tried "buzzing" with a fat ball point pen.  I was way faster with my index finger than my thumbs (which have a bit of arthritis) but I had to hold it in the hand with which I was buzzing.

Way too many GG's (goofy guesses) - I'm looking at you Nil.  It's strange that three people this week haven't made it to FJ.

I got Britannia, pixie, Banquet, and Tennyson.

For FJ, I made a GG of Baltimore even though I have no clue if there's a landmark named after him.  At least I didn't guess Jefferson.

• Love 4

I was looking at the TV from far away without my glasses, his name was Nil?  Now I feel badly for calling him Neil, but in my defense, that's how I heard Alex say it.

Also Alex's odd little pantomime of pixie made me want to hit him.

• Love 3
2 hours ago, Browncoat said:

Knoxville was an easy TS for me -- my grandparents lived there in 1982, and we had season tickets to the World's Fair that year.  I was surprised they all missed Tennyson, Coleridge and Shelley, though. 

Whenever I hear 'Smoky Mountains,' I think of Dollywood (or Pigeon Forge). I couldn't get that out of my mind to come up with another city.

FJ was another that was terribly easy in hindsight, though I missed it in the moment, but I don't think I ever in a million, brazilian years would have answered Jefferson.

Was that an autocorrect from a "million, bazillion years"?

• Love 2
3 hours ago, operalover said:

I knew St Louis was 1904 and I have no idea why. I ran the zoo category. Although it was very easy-meerkats? Nixon, China, Pandas? I also got French Guyana. It amazes me people don't study up on Central and South American countries and capitols before going on Jeopardy since they always have these types of questions. And people constantly blow them, for example "what country is directly south of Mexico?" was guessed wrong.  

Two Maryland clues in one week! 

For some reason, I have a video of Judy Garland singing "Meet Me in St. Louis" (meet me at the fair) burned into my brain. I never saw the whole movie, am not a particular fan, but I know that clip. So that's how I got that one.

I was rooting for Nil even if his name literally means "nothing." Nice job, parents. Way to stroke his ego. I imagine is why he pronounces it Neil - assuming Alex used the correct pronunciation. I thought he was personable and he's sorta from my neck of the woods, but boy, way too many bad guesses.

• Love 2

I can't remember the exact wording of the movie category, but I thought it was something like "5-letter movie synopses," and I was expecting the CLUES to have 5 letters, not the ANSWERS. I was very confused for the first few clues in that category. I also hated the alliteration. It's too much for one category. "Alliterative Synopses About Movies Whose Titles Have Five Letters." Ick.

• Love 4

No Simpsons fans here?  I swear the writers of the questions must be because the Oak Ridge Nuclear Facility answer and the Knoxville world's fair are straight out of the episode Bart on the Road.  Bart takes a "road trip" to Knoxville with Nelson and Milhouse, based on an old Triple AAA book advertisting the World's Fair in 1982.  they get stranded.  Homer orders a part from Oak Ridge nuclear so Bart can act as an air courier and fly home for free to save him. 

"Oh My God, you're operating without a T437 Springfield!!!!" 

"On the Plus side, I knocked down the Sunsphere"

Classic episode.  So much of my trivia I know just from figuring out Simpsons references. 

Oh and it was obvious the one guy was just guessing "Keats" every time for the poets, hoping he'd get it right and end up in the positive.  Which I found humorous.  Not criticizing him for it, I'd do it too in that situation. 

15 hours ago, M. Darcy said:

Aw, and no one knew Knoxville (I used to live there). And yet another question that they would known if they only watched The Simpsons. 

I do see someone was thinking like me

• Love 7
6 hours ago, tvaddict44 said:

If any of you English major British poetry lovers can give me a simple way to keep Keats and Shelley separate I would be grateful.  I always confuse their poems...

I took a class on British poetry as part of my lit degree. I had a terrible professor who ruined poetry for me, particularly romance poets. I continually confuse all of their poems, unless I read them again in a different class with a different teacher.

• Love 1
3 hours ago, ClareWalks said:

I can't remember the exact wording of the movie category, but I thought it was something like "5-letter movie synopses," and I was expecting the CLUES to have 5 letters, not the ANSWERS. I was very confused for the first few clues in that category. I also hated the alliteration. It's too much for one category. "Alliterative Synopses About Movies Whose Titles Have Five Letters." Ick.

Maybe if it was 5-Letter-Movie Synopses.

• Love 2

ClareWalks

3 HOURS AGO

What's worse is that neither the clues nor the answers were 5 letters! It was the category overall that had five letters, so the first clue was H words, the second clue was G words, etc.  I spent most of the category misunderstanding -- maybe it's five-word clues? but the clues are more than five words! is the movie title supposed to be five letters? five words? It didn't help that I was in and out of the room folding laundry, but is it me or are a lot of the clues badly worded lately?

• Love 1
5 minutes ago, mookster said:

What's worse is that neither the clues nor the answers were 5 letters! It was the category overall that had five letters, so the first clue was H words, the second clue was G words, etc.  I spent most of the category misunderstanding -- maybe it's five-word clues? but the clues are more than five words! is the movie title supposed to be five letters? five words? It didn't help that I was in and out of the room folding laundry, but is it me or are a lot of the clues badly worded lately?

I did better by ignoring the category (or forgetting it, more likely), so I was more on autopilot than trying to figure out what they wanted. I got most of them, I think.

• Love 1
2 hours ago, DrSpaceman73 said:

No Simpsons fans here?

I posted a clip.

1 hour ago, mookster said:

Thank you and @ClareWalks for expressing your frustration, because I was confused as well. This makes me feel better. The only movie I can remember was actually 5 letters (Creed).

• Love 3
16 hours ago, peeayebee said:

Was that an autocorrect from a "million, bazillion years"?

Nope, it was a callback to a bad joke about George W. Bush from years ago.  Something about a number of Brazilian people being killed, and his reply was "How many in a brazillon?"  I wish I could remember it better, but using brazillion as a number is something I do quite a lot!

4 minutes ago, dcalley said:

The only movie I can remember was actually 5 letters (Creed).

IIRC, all the movie titles were only five letters.

• Love 5
27 minutes ago, Browncoat said:

IIRC, all the movie titles were only five letters.

That's how I remember it too. I was very excited when I figured out one of them was looking for Fargo since that's one of my favourite movies.

• Love 4
22 hours ago, GreekGeek said:

I blanked on FJ, trying to figure it out from my memories of the musical 1776, although that was about the signers of the Declaration of Independence, not the Constitution.

Me, too! I was sure it was Samuel Chase! And I would never think to call Ft. McHenry a monument, because monument to me implies the thing was built for that purpose, like the Washington monument. I wouldn't call Mt. Vernon a monument, either.

• Love 4

D'oh!  I misread FJ to say New Hampshire instead of Hampshire, and was so confused I couldn't come up with anything.  I didn't actually figure out my mistake until the correct response was revealed.  Me so smart!

I was at least paying enough attention to be able to get "You Are The Sunshine of My Life", narcolepsy, Little Nell, and Kim.  Rikki Tikki Tavi was an interesting guess for that last one.

• Love 5

I liked all three contestants tonight, but congrats to Rob.  Jeff's "I'm falling apart" comment cracked me up.  I hate those spelling categories.  I'm a great speller but only on paper.  I'd fall apart, too.

Way too many clues left again.  I can't figure out if Rob's slowing it down or not.  He does tend to say the entire category name and sometimes throws in "let's finish out the category".  Hmmm.

I got You Are The Sunshine of My Life, Royal Gorge, and Little Nell.

I knew that physician was key in FJ but sat here like a slack jawed idiot and couldn't come up with it.  I slapped my head at the answer.

• Love 5

Although they didn't finish the category, I was stunned that Monticello wasn't in the Presidential Homes category. I expected it in the first or second clue, because it seems such an easy answer. Perhaps the writers are starting to toughen up.

• Love 3

I got Mt Vernon and You Are the Sunshine of My Life. I was disappointed they didn't get to all the clues in the author category.

Having said that, I did not get FJ. I was straining my brain and knew I'd kick myself when the answer was revealed. Yup. *Oww*

• Love 4
1 hour ago, ClareWalks said:

This was the toughest Jeopardy game I've seen in a while. LOTS of tough ones, for me at least, in both regular and Double. 

Agreed on this being a tough game. Or at least being significantly more difficult than some of the most recent games. There wasn't a single category I felt like I "owned" this game.

• Love 3

I thought it was a tough game, too.  Surprisingly, FJ was one of the few things I knew.  I also knew narcolepsy, but it's a fairly long word to spell in that short amount of time.  I sympathized with Jeff on that one.  And too bad they didn't get to turn over one more clue.  Jeff might have kept it from being a runaway.

• Love 2

I got Sir Arthur Conan Doyle too. I wasn't sure, but the dates seemed right. At least there were three people in the final this time.
That could have been worse than what happened this week.  I've seen where there was only one person for final and a time when nobody won because they all ended up with zero.

• Love 3

The knight reference helped me more than the physician in this case, although after I thought of Doyle I vaguely remembered something about him being a doctor.  This definitely seemed like a Final that you could work through and figure out if you didn't know it right at the start--at least it was for me.

• Love 2

I was rooting for Trish (actuaries represent!), but would have been OK with any of them winning. I think that had Jeff won, his schtick would have gotten more pronounced and would have eventually started to annoy me. 

In the spelling category, after Trish answered G-N-U, Alex said, "or wildebeest". However, wildebeest would not have been acceptable since the clue called for a 3 letter word. I guess it was just Alex not being able to resist showing off sharing his knowledge. 

• Love 7
(edited)
On ‎03‎/‎02‎/‎2017 at 7:57 PM, M. Darcy said:

Of course it was McHenry. Heh Camp David and Ft McHenry - my local knowledge is paying off. 

I now see the Meloni resemblance. 

Argh!  I missed Thursday's game and of course I missed a Maryland clue.  Although after reading it, I'm not sure I would've gotten it.  I know all the Maryland signers of the Declaration of Independence but not the signers of the Constitution.

I don't see the Meloni resemblance, but I like the champ so he can keep winning.

I knew that physician was key in FJ but sat here like a slack jawed idiot and couldn't come up with it.  I slapped my head at the answer.

I had no idea that Conan Doyle had been a physician.

Edited by proserpina65
  • Love 1

I was sad they didn't finish the hedgehog category!  Cute little hoglets. 

I also couldn't believe no one knew Vietnam, but on the other hand, I blanked on FJ.  I kept running through the eastern European countries in my head and never landed on the correct ones. 

• Love 5

Too bad.  I was hoping Rob would make it to the TOC.  Alison's comeback was impressive, but I have a feeling, for some strange reason, she'll be a one and done.  Alex seemed smitten with her, too.  Why the hell was Ernie bending backwards the entire time?

I got Vietnam War, and prayer (which they later gave to Alison with her religion answer).

FJ was an instaget.

• Love 7

In the Supreme Court category, Marshall is accepted without a "be more specific"? Come on!

That really bugged me too.

Alison's comeback was impressive, but I have a feeling, for some strange reason, she'll be a one and done.

I agree. She just didn't seem solid/confident with a lot of her answers and certainly benefit from Eddie?/Ernie?'s disappearance.

For TS I got Vietnam, prayer and Angels & Demons. FJ wasn't quite an Instaget but I was proud of myself for getting it since 2 contestants didn't.

• Love 3