Type keyword(s) to search

Jeopardy! Season 33 (2016-2017)

Athena
  • Start Topic

14 hours ago, SeanC said:

I'm a big fan of Greek mythology, but I couldn't have told you the name of the Muse of Dance if my life depended on it.

I wasn't sure if she was the muse of dance, but I knew there was a muse named Terpsichore, so I guessed that one.  Well, I also knew that Clio was the muse of history, so that helped narrow it down.

Yeah, Tesla and Edison came to me immediately. Seems like I learned about their rivalry within the last 5 years or so. Now it seems like common knowledge to me. I don't know who the third person was that Alex was thinking of. 

I think the only TS I got was The Electric Company.

I started with Edison and Tesla but changed it to Edison and Marconi - pretty sure he feuded with him as well, unless I'm confused - obviously I should've stayed with my first answer.  {Edited to note: clearly I was thinking of the debate about who actually invented the radio: Tesla or Marconi.  Yeah, should never have changed my answer.}

I thought of The Electric Company but didn't say it.

Edited by proserpina65
because google is sometimes my friend
  • Love 2

Edison was a dick, so he feuded with pretty much everyone. Or everyone feuded with him. Tesla was under-rated and mostly forgotten until kind of recently, as @peeayebee observed, it seems to me. It's only in the last few years that both sides of Niagara Falls finally put up statues of him. Or at least the Canadian side did it recently. I'm not really sure how long the one on the American side has been there.

• Love 4

I knew Edison and Tesla, the AC vs DC, from my ex-husband, the electrical engineer.  I didn't even think of Marconi.  I was afraid "Lord of the Flies" was going to show up in the Films/Roles (I can't remember) category.

• Love 1
18 hours ago, Jesse said:

Add me to the people who would love to know Alex's third "obvious" answer.

Relatedly, usually I roll my eyes when he has a comment, but he was totally right about Rita Moreno -- she does still have it!

As others have stated, I assumed the answer was Edison and Westinghouse.  There is a movie currently being filmed, called The Current War.  IMDB's description: "Electricity titans Thomas Edison and George Westinghouse compete to create a sustainable system and market it to the American people."

• Love 3

Too bad for Dante -- I liked his story about the spider.  Not that I mind that Joe won again, mind you.  He seems like a good champ.

I was terribly sad that no one knew Graham Chapman!  Are we not Monty Python fans any more?  Or is it just that no one knows which Python is which?

FJ was an instaget.

• Love 4
7 minutes ago, Browncoat said:

I was terribly sad that no one knew Graham Chapman!  Are we not Monty Python fans any more?  Or is it just that no one knows which Python is which?

That's just wrong that none of the three knew him. 

• Love 4

Yay, Joe!  I couldn't stand "tarantula boy", Dante.

I got Ye, John Legend (I'm ashamed to admit), Finding Neverland, and Beau Brummell.

I was clueless for FJ and slapped my forehead at the answer.  Duh!

10 hours ago, ClareWalks said:

Everything I know about Tesla, I learned from this Oatmeal comic.

Thanks for this!

• Love 6
31 minutes ago, PaulaO said:

I said Das Kapital.  Right author, wrong work.

I thought, "It was either Das Kapital or...that other thing Marx wrote." Communist Manifesto just didn't come to me. I'm not sure how you can tell quotes from them apart unless you've read both.

• Love 4

Oh good I wasn't the only one who said "Das Kapital". I like Finding Neverland but couldn't get the name out in time. I also ran the married to musician category. My mother would be so proud (not).

• Love 4

I did bad tonight. Instead of John Legend, I said Usher. I couldn't remember Graham Chapman's full name and just said Graham. I couldn't remember the whole movie title and just said Neverland.

For FJ I guessed Dr Jekyll and Mr Hyde. 

At least I didn't add an S to Revelation.

• Love 2

Dante's intensity almost drove me away from the game in the Jeopardy! round but Joe picked up steam so I stuck around. I still love Joe.

Why are you guys embarrassed you knew John Legend? He was the only TS I got.

I'm another one who guessed Capital for FJ.

Edited by YoureSoUrban
  • Love 3
10 minutes ago, peeayebee said:

Instead of John Legend, I said Usher.

Sad to say, so did I, even though I knew better.

1 hour ago, GreekGeek said:

I thought, "It was either Das Kapital or...that other thing Marx wrote." Communist Manifesto just didn't come to me.

I said Das Kapital - and we had a discussion about whether the Communist Manifesto was a different work.

12 minutes ago, peeayebee said:

At least I didn't add an S to Revelation.

Jeopardy knocked that "S" right out of me. I finally say it correctly, every time.

• Love 4
On 1/7/2017 at 1:39 AM, biakbiak said:

Chrissy Teigan cracks my ass up on Twitter, does great charity work, and she has several delicious recipes in her blog so I wasn't embarrassed to get it based on her or John.

I mixed up Chrissy Teigen with Christie Brinkley and thought of Billy Joel.

Edited by GreekGeek
typo
  • Love 4

I still love Joe.

It must only be me, but I don't love Joe (sorry). He reminds me of the perp on an L&O - SUV, the "doctor-professor-friend of the family" you don't suspect. Until you realize he must be the perp because he's the only one you don't suspect. But then I write mysteries.

Also, unless he knows the category cold, he needs time to answer. Therefore, someone with knowledge and a quick finger on the buzzer will out him.

Rita Moreno has never not looked good (damn, a double negative...oh, well).

• Love 2
16 hours ago, GreekGeek said:

I thought, "It was either Das Kapital or...that other thing Marx wrote." Communist Manifesto just didn't come to me. I'm not sure how you can tell quotes from them apart unless you've read both.

Yes I knew it was a famous work by Marx but I couldn't think of either of these. Communist Manifesto was on the tip of my tongue but would not come to me. I paused the TV and tried to think of it for about five minutes and nothing.   I realized that although I had of course heard of it and studied it and discussed it, but I probably have not heard this title or read it anywhere in 30 years. With something like this if I had waited 24 hours to think it over, it MAY have come to me.  It is interesting to me the way memory works or in my case does not work! Certain things we get right on Jeopardy because we had life experience with those questions and those seem easy to us and might stump another person. Other things you knew about you can't remember at all!  

Also if Dante was a  press secretary how did he miss the Press Secretary one? I thought they said he worked in DC and he seemed to miss quite a lot of those clues.

Edited by operalover
  • Love 1
On ‎01‎/‎06‎/‎2017 at 8:00 PM, Browncoat said:

Too bad for Dante -- I liked his story about the spider.  Not that I mind that Joe won again, mind you.  He seems like a good champ.

FJ was an instaget.

Yeah, it was depressing that none of them came up with Graham Chapman.  I guess Monty Python was before their time.

I said Das Kapital for FJ.  At least I knew it was Marx.

• Love 2
10 minutes ago, Browncoat said:

Zimmerman?  WTF?  FJ was an instaget for me.  Arles = Van Gogh.

I had the same thought. The only Zimmerman that occurred to me was the real last name of Bob Dylan, though of course the date is way off.

I think they asked for a 4 letter word?

Did the clue say so? I didn't think the category specified 4 letter words, but words with one "i" as the lone vowel.

• Love 3

Oh good I'm not the only one who doesn't know what "Zimmerman" refers to.  Maybe it was an inside joke cause he couldn't come up with anything?  I blurted out "Van Gogh" before Alex stopped reading. And yes Joe really reminded me of Steve Martin. I kept expecting him to pull out a banjo. 

• Love 3

Dang it, Joe!  Why didn't you bet it all?  I'd love to see him with a banjo.  Blair seems okay, though.  I liked her quirky hairstyle.

I got St. Barts and The Lincoln Lawyer.

Finally!  I got FJ!  I've been on a clueless streak.

• Love 6
3 hours ago, Prevailing Wind said:

George Zimmerman?  I'm baffled by that.  I thought for sure they'd come back & give Blair "grift" for "bilk."

The 2 TS I got were Lincoln Lawyer & St. Barthelemy.  I thought it kind of sad that St. Bart's was missed by a guy named Bartolomeo.

Instead of bilk, I said scam, but then my sister reminded me that it didn't have an I. When Blair said grift, I too thought she would be given credit for it. I had forgotten about the 4-letter specification, even though I was just thinking of it when I said scam. Talk about a short memory.

I think the only TS I got was Lincoln Lawyer. 

• Love 4

Okay, I am pretty sure I noticed that Joe wasn't wearing his glasses in the first segment today, then he had them on the rest of the show.  Am I just making things up in my mind? Has he done that before?

I was trying to figure out who I thought the woman who is the new champ reminded me of, and I finally landed on Kate Mara when she had a short hair cut....which made me giggle a bit later when she got the answer right for her 'sister's' movie... "The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo".

ETA:  Clearly I was distracted for much of the episode today!

Edited by pennben
  • Love 2
17 hours ago, Browncoat said:

Zimmerman?  WTF?  FJ was an instaget for me.  Arles = Van Gogh.

I missed almost the entire game due to cat issues, but can't imagine how anyone would get Zimmerman out of "red-headed, mad, and Arles" as M. Darcy put it.  Maybe he was thinking of Bob Dylan, but still, wtf?

• Love 3

FJ was an insta-instaget for me, and I'm not a massive Beatles fan. It was something like "of all the songs Ringo Starr sang lead on, this one charted highest topping out at #2." Yellow Submarine was the obvious answer to me, but I never dreamed someone would guess Hey Jude. HEY JUDE?! I was like "have you HEARD Hey Jude? Have you HEARD Ringo Starr's voice?"

• Love 7

I mean there wasn't a ton of songs to choose from ,only like 10 or 11 i think.  I was between Yellowhat Submarine and With a Little Help from My Friends but had settled on Yellow Submarine in plenty of time. The Get Back and Hey Jude are both well known Paul McCartney led songs or at least I thought they were.

• Love 5
1 hour ago, ClareWalks said:

FJ was an insta-instaget for me, and I'm not a massive Beatles fan. It was something like "of all the songs Ringo Starr sang lead on, this one charted highest topping out at #2." Yellow Submarine was the obvious answer to me, but I never dreamed someone would guess Hey Jude. HEY JUDE?! I was like "have you HEARD Hey Jude? Have you HEARD Ringo Starr's voice?"

I thought I knew the Beatles pretty well, and the song I came up with was "A Little Help from my Friends." At least Ringo sang that one; I was surprised that the two wrong guesses were songs Paul sang. I totally forgot about "Yellow Submarine." 

Not too many TS's today; the only one I recall knowing was Baden-Baden.

Very impressive performance by Colby up until the end. "Colby Taylor" sounds like a perfect name for a guy from Mississippi.

• Love 1
20 minutes ago, shoregirl said:

I mean there wasn't a ton of songs to choose from ,only like 10 or 11 i think.  I was between Yellowhat Submarine and With a Little Help from My Friends but had settled on Yellow Submarine in plenty of time. The Get Back and Hey Jude are both well known Paul McCartney led songs or at least I thought they were.

I thought of With a Little Help from My Friends too and Octopus Garden, but settled on Yellow Submarine. 

27 minutes ago, AuntieL said:

Arg. Another champ who didn't bet enough!!!

ITA, what was up with that bet? That made no sense.  

If you are in second, either bet it all or bet to have at least 1 dollar more than the person in first if you answer correctly.

If you are in first, bet to end up a dollar more than if they went all in and answered right. That is precisely what Colby did, but he didn't answer correctly. We've seen people in the lead blow that before, despite answering it right. 

5 minutes ago, CarpeDiem54 said:

They should have given Blair the win even though she didn't bet enough.  Hey Jude and Get Back?  WTF?!

The only TS I got was spacewalker.

I would have bet it all on FJ. Instaget.

I was caught up thinking extravehicular and realized it had too many letters.  

• Love 1

My ts's were Baden Baden and Space walker which seemed like such an obvious answer, plus a couple others I don't remember right now.

I got Yellow Submarine in pretty good time - I forgot A Little Help from my Friends which is just as well or I would have gone with that. I am pretty good on Beatles's songs but not wonderful so I was pleased I got it.

That was a bad bet by Blair.

• Love 2

I kept getting distracted away from this game, maybe because Colby had such a commanding lead, so I don't think I got any TS. FJ was an instaget. That clue reminded me of how much I love Ringo's voice on "Honey Don't".

I didn't understand the champ's bet either. Was she intentionally playing for second prize? I would just bet it all. If you don't win you're only going to get a max of $2000 anyway.

• Love 4