Type keyword(s) to search

Jeopardy! Season 33 (2016-2017)

Athena
  • Start Topic

10 hours ago, GreekGeek said:

i got FJ but did not think Kunta Kinte was that well known. If you never saw the original Roots and missed the remake, you wouldn't necessarily have heard of its protagonist.

Definitely true, although there is also that book written by that one woman's guess, Alex Haley ;) I was like "whaaa?" LOL

• Love 2
9 hours ago, peeayebee said:

I couldn't remember the name of the guy in 'Roger and Me,' so my answer was "Who is Roger Somebody."

DH could only remember his last name, Smith.  I said he'd probably be bms'd on that one.

• Love 1
12 hours ago, GreekGeek said:

I was disappointed that Sarah was a "one and done." Her initial performance seemed much more promising. I thought of who she reminded me of: Dr. Lilith Sternin-Crane, of Cheers and Frasier fame.

Calvert was a giveaway for Maryland; that's one of those names that always seem to recur. I also knew Tales of the South Pacific (I played Bloody Mary in high school), slag, and the Atlas Mountains.

i got FJ but did not think Kunta Kinte was that well known. If you never saw the original Roots and missed the remake, you wouldn't necessarily have heard of its protagonist.

I never saw Roots, but I knew because I've read/heard people refer to Levar Burton or Geordi Laforge as Kunta Kinte. I was surprised that I was able to pull that out of my head just based on that, though!

• Love 2

I was laughing because, like the new champ, I also said Gennifer Flowers when I meant Jennifer Saunders. I may need to dial back my political tv viewing if it's creeping into my Jeopardy answers!

• Love 3
18 hours ago, GreekGeek said:

I was disappointed that Sarah was a "one and done." Her initial performance seemed much more promising. I thought of who she reminded me of: Dr. Lilith Sternin-Crane, of Cheers and Frasier fame.

It gets worse and worse - the mister says she reminded him of me when I was younger. Starting to cringe now.

• Love 2

I am furious! Apparently something ran late last night, causing the local news to run late, causing me to record the rassa-frassin' local news instead of Jeopardy! I think I got the opening music -- not even any introductions or anything.  

To top it all off, I'm headed out of town this week and will miss all the games except Monday's. 

• Love 1

Yahoos, Charlie!

I couldn't root for Charlie after he told that story of "testing" his teachers. Pidge was likable and funny. Her story of how she got her name reminded me of the "Rosebud" episode of The Dick Van Dyke Show.

I missed FJ because I thought the clue referred to Social Security and retirement, and thus guessed FDR.

• Love 6
27 minutes ago, YoureSoUrban said:

I dismissed Charlie when he didn't know what a true DD was but announced he wanted one.

Same here.  Actually, I didn't give a hoot about any of the three.

I got anti-coagulant, Trojan Horse and Arkansas River.

FJ was an instaget.

• Love 8
1 hour ago, GreekGeek said:

Yahoos, Charlie!

I couldn't root for Charlie after he told that story of "testing" his teachers. Pidge was likable and funny. Her story of how she got her name reminded me of the "Rosebud" episode of The Dick Van Dyke Show.

I missed FJ because I thought the clue referred to Social Security and retirement, and thus guessed FDR.

I like Pidge.

I first thought Reagan, because his age had been such an issue, but then I thought that the implication was that the speech had introduced the phrase "golden years" into the language, and that came way before Reagan.  So I said FDR and of course was wrong.  Don't overthink it, kiddo.

I got Reynard, though, which I don't think has been mentioned yet.

Thanks for reminding me of the "Rosebud" episode, GreekGeek.  It was hilarious, and I haven't thought about it in ages.  Off to Hulu or wherever.

• Love 3
2 hours ago, GreekGeek said:

I was thinking of FDR when my sister said Ronald Reagan, so I'm not sure which way I would have gone.

I got anti-coagulant. Not sure if there were any others.

I felt bad for Charlie when Alex corrected him about the 'true DD.' You could tell he was uncomfortable and embarrassed.

• Love 2
2 hours ago, Mondrianyone said:

I first thought Reagan, because his age had been such an issue, but then I thought that the implication was that the speech had introduced the phrase "golden years" into the language, and that came way before Reagan.  So I said FDR and of course was wrong.  Don't overthink it, kiddo.

The 'golden years' part of the clue threw me off too.

• Love 3

My husband and I both said Reagan.  I didn't pay attention to golden years and focused on the other part in quotes and we know how much Ronnie loved defense.  Also he was the first two-term prez to jump to mind.

I wasn't impressed with any of the three either.  Pidge could use a gentle reminder about her indoor voice.

• Love 4

I dismissed Charlie when he didn't know what a true DD was but announced he wanted one

And he seemed really annoyed when Alex pointed out his mistake. Couldn't root for him after that. Pidge is ok. I like her enthusiasm.

• Love 3

I knew Booker T. Washington, Franz Kafka, and Xerxes (missed DD).

I got Kafka, Xerxes and the FJ (purely by luck), but I do the same thing with Booker T. Washington and George Washington Carver that I do with Upton Sinclair and Sinclair Lewis.  It's always the other one; unless, of course, the clue actually mentions peanuts since that's the only giveaway to GWC for me.  I should just answer the exact opposite of what I think is correct, but I never do.

Just catching up with Thursday's game.  I got The Eagle Has Landed because One Small Step didn't sound right

I'll preface this by saying that Neil Armstrong is my personal hero, and I would never, ever think that I would miss a Jeopardy question involving him in any way.  So of course I said "The Eye of the Needle" because I focused on spy book title and not on the Neil Armstrong part of the clue.  <hangs head in shame and turns in her Tang and astronaut ice cream>

initially thought of Elizabeth Taylor for the diamond one, but then paid attention to the whole clue, and Tiffany's got me to Audrey Hepburn. 

I thought of ET but went with Marilyn Monroe because all I could think of was "Diamonds Are A Girl's Best Friend" from Gentlemen Prefer Blondes.

Edited by proserpina65
  • Love 2

I focused on "golden years," said LBJ, then realized he didn't have 2 inaugural addresses, so said "I don't know.

Rosebud= Robert Oscar Samuel Edward B(I have no idea) Ulysses David  I immediately thought of that also when I heard the Pidge story. 

• Love 3

Calvert was a giveaway for Maryland; that's one of those names that always seem to recur. I also knew Tales of the South Pacific (I played Bloody Mary in high school), slag, and the Atlas Mountains.

Yeah, I was a little surprised that Maryland was a TS.

Reagan seemed like the obvious answer for that FJ.  There are only so many two-term presidents whose inaugural addresses might have been memorable. 

And I was flabbergasted at the Kunta Kinte misses - I can see answering "Roots" if you misread the clue, but John Paul Jones?  Really?

• Love 2
1 hour ago, PaulaO said:

Rosebud= Robert Oscar Samuel Edward B(I have no idea) Ulysses David  I immediately thought of that also when I heard the Pidge story. 

B was for Benjamin.  I really did go watch it last night.

I wonder if that's where Pidge's mom got the idea.

• Love 2

Pidge made an impressive comeback in the later part of the game.  She either ran, or came close to running, the final Meet the Press category and almost caught Kalen.

I am surprised none of them got FJ.

Edited by Roaster
correcting spelling
  • Love 3

I missed yesterday's game so Pidge was new to me - she seems okay so far. Yes, she really did pull it out in the second round.

My only ts I remember is birch.

Instaget FJ.

• Love 1

Vernon Jordan. VERNON JORDAN. That was incredible.

Leave it to Jeopardy! to find the single person on earth who thinks Vernon Jordan was not only a white dude but also Mayor of NYC. Wow just wow.

TS I got were: Andrei, The Prophet and Sorry.

I quickly figured the busiest port would be in Asia and but FJ became an Instaget because they gave the hint about criminality. Without that I probably would have guessed Hong Kong.

• Love 6
6 minutes ago, YoureSoUrban said:

I quickly figured the busiest port would be in Asia and but FJ became an Instaget because they gave the hint about criminality. Without that I probably would have guessed Hong Kong.

Same here.  I guessed Shanghai pretty quickly.  Vernon Jordan is also a generation older than de Blasio.

• Love 4
32 minutes ago, YoureSoUrban said:

I'm still amazed that FJ was a TS.

• Love 4

Darn.  I was hoping Kalen would win.  Pidge is okay when she uses her inside voice.

I got Naval navel, Andrei and The Profit.

FJ was an instaget.  I was WTH at the answers.  Alcatraz the busiest port in the world? And Steel Port and Lift?  Again, WTH?

• Love 5

FJ tonight was one of those you either instantly get or can think about for an hour and not know. I understood the contestants' thought processes: Alcatraz for its association with criminals, the homonym steel/steal, and lift as in shoplift. I had no clue but said "Duh!" when the answer was announced. 

The only TS I got tonight was Andrei.

Happy for Pidge pulling off that come from behind win, but all three of the contestants were likable tonight. 

I remembered another Pidge: a senator's five year old daughter in Allen Drury's Advise and Consent. Her real name is Ellen. The book never explains it.

• Love 2
2 hours ago, Mondrianyone said:

Was the fact that de Blasio is mayor of NYC part of the clue, or was it something Alex mentioned when no one got his name?

Pidge did get the right answer. The clue said "mayor" but didn't specify. Alex added "mayor of New York" after Pidge got it right.

I think the only TSs I got were The Prophet and Sorry, which I only know because I recently put Bieber's on my son's iPod.

Vernon Jordan. Yikes.

• Love 2

I just watched yesterday's episode again.  Pidge found the final daily double when she had $3000 and Kalen had $14,000 and there were only 13 clues remaining.  Alex told her she was in a "distant third" place.  She did a true daily double and got it right.  The next two clues were both TSs.  Then with 10 clues remaining, Pidge answered 8 of them, to make a really impressive comeback.

• Love 6

I got to my destination just in time to see FJ tonight.  I initially made the same error the guy did, but was able to correct myself before the time ran out.  I wonder if he knew which state it was, or just knew there's a flag with the Big Dipper on it?  I was surprised no one else got it, though.

• Love 2
8 minutes ago, CarpeDiem54 said:

I couldn't think of any flags with stars, except Texas, and I knew that wasn't correct.

Me too. I thought it might be Minnesota but wasn't really sure enough to say it.

• Love 3

I knew General Tso's Chicken and Mars.

I was on a summer program at the University of Fairbanks a long time ago. For some reason the Alaska flag stuck in my head as having stars on a blue background, so I was able to get FJ.

Congrats to Susan, but pick up the pace.

Agreed!

• Love 1
On 10/10/2016 at 7:56 PM, GreekGeek said:
25 minutes ago, CarpeDiem54 said:

I, too, answered General Tso's Chicken but I believe Kung Pao Chicken was correct since General Tso was ruled incorrect.

You're right, since I also said General Tso, and groaned when AT said it was wrong.

• Love 1