Jump to content
Forums forums
PRIMETIMER
Lola16

Love It Or List It

Recommended Posts

I watched this episode out of curiousity. It was a bit different because the houses were really unusually laid out. So many levels and nooks and crannies but did anyone else notice that the house that they chose(which was huge) had one bathroom? Yikes, their immediate family was 5 but with two older daughters that came to visit. On top of that, they were going to add a set of parents. They never mentioned the bathroom and I couldn't figure out if the in-law suite had a separate bath or not.  I sure hope it did or that one bathroom would have to work for anywhere from 7 to 9 people. I thought it was strange that they never mentioned the bathroom and only mentioned it in the screen view of what the house offered. I will keep my eye out to catch it if it comes on again so I can double check.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post

Was it bring your child to work day when they mixed the audio for some of these episodes & they let a toddler do it?   Such loud & unnecessary music that you hardly hear what the people are saying.   I really noticed it on the Gene and Kelly (older couple "downsizing") episode that I recorded last week and I only remember their names since well, Gene Kelly.   I've noticed it on a few others as well and don't understand why we need loud bouncy music when looking at potential house number two or whatever. 

Share this post


Link to post

I like reno shows, but I'm a bit sick of the same old, same old.  Designer is given a budget, they find something that MUST be addressed, homeowners start yelling, some things can't be done, etc. etc.  I don't know how anyone can commit to renovating something and not realize they need permits for certain things.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
On 8/31/2016 at 10:29 PM, annzeepark914 said:

I just saw the LIOLI that took place in Raleigh last June.  Two men, one of them a chef (who was quite upset with Hillary!) and a house with all kinds of nasty unseen issues (like ancient sewer and water pipes that would cost a FORTUNE to replace, etc.,).  They didn't even have a garage and lived in an old section of the city.  In a way, it was the most uncomfortable episode for me to watch because the chef was really getting angrier and angrier.  Then, the phone rang and I couldn't get off (long distance from a far away cousin) so I don't really know for sure if they were going to love it or list it.  I hope to heck they got out of that house.

They just ran that episode again yesterday in a marathon that seemed to mostly be David victories. I had seen it before, but for some reason it REALLY pissed me off this time. The chef (Rodolfo) was abusive to Hillary. He needed to be checked. And the worst part was that his bullying worked and he got his way in the end (they listed, despite his partner’s sentimental attachment to the home). Then they followed up with an episode where the husband bitched the entire time that Hillary was only doing the wife’s requests, and was a nasty asshole until he got his new wood floors. Maybe it’s the climate of women finally coming forward against abuse, but I wanted to smack Rodolfo into next week.  These guys expect miracles with the amount of cash that they are ponying up.  It’s not an unlimited budget, and the fact that they’re dealing with a woman, seems to give them license to be abusive dicks at times. 

Edited by ChicksDigScars
  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post

I haven't watched this in ages but caught the tail end of an episode. One of the many things that irk me about the show (lol...that list is extremely long), is when David shows them the new "value" of their renovated house. The increased "value" of their house is the alleged new value minus the renovation costs, not just the top number. That number obviously wouldn't look as impressive on tv but it's SO misleading! I can't take it. Besides, real estate is worth what the next person is willing to pay for your house. You can ask for whatever you want, $500K, but if I'm not giving that to you, your house ain't worth $500K!

Now, back to NOT watching this show again. In the future, I know to even avoid even small snippets of it.

Edited: I know the show is nonsense and fake from start to finish, but that still annoys me.

Edited by msani19
  • Like 5

Share this post


Link to post

This season's two episodes have been only ok.

I liked last week's because the couple was fun.  This week not only did I not like them, they're in a big house, every room is a mess (like they should be on Hoarders) and they think a new house will solve their messy lifestyle?

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post

just tried this for the first time. my god it is terrible. so  fake. why don't they tell you the location?  so stupid. i'll stick with house hunters which is maddening enough and restored  ( where as i've said time and again, no way does the budget he gets really pay all the gorgeous work that is done but..i like him, we share the same attitude. don't fuck with the original beauty of a house. if you want to renovate stay with the era and do it correctly or you are a heathen! go buy a newer no class house and go at it) 

Share this post


Link to post

I cannot stand how these moronic homeowners who go on and on complaining that Hillary cannot give them a completely renovated house for 50k just because they want one. The new episode on Monday was beyond infuriating- you can’t give me a new kitchen, two new bathrooms, a new laundry room, remove all the walls on the first floor, and redo the master closets for $75,000, so I’m taking $20,000 away from your budget.

Edited by rlc
  • Like 5

Share this post


Link to post

Does anyone know where they are filming this season? The past few seasons they have been in North Carolina. I also agree that it is frustrating that they don't tell you where the homes are located. Neither does Property Brothers.  That is why I much prefer House Hunters.

Share this post


Link to post

I like David and I like Hilary and I like the premise of the show. That said, I always root for David because he's the underdog -- I mean, if Hilary does a half way decent job on the remodel, of course people are going to choose not to move. Who wants to move? Packing sucks. It's so unfair that David has such a disadvantage in getting people to list. I get pissed off every time and swear I won't watch anymore when they stay put.

  • Like 4

Share this post


Link to post
46 minutes ago, ForReal said:

I like David and I like Hilary and I like the premise of the show. That said, I always root for David because he's the underdog -- I mean, if Hilary does a half way decent job on the remodel, of course people are going to choose not to move. Who wants to move? Packing sucks. It's so unfair that David has such a disadvantage in getting people to list. I get pissed off every time and swear I won't watch anymore when they stay put.

You do realize this show is totally fake. Everything is either predetermined or just for show.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
22 hours ago, chessiegal said:

You do realize this show is totally fake. Everything is either predetermined or just for show.

That is beside the point. Even if the show were 100% legit, people would still rather stay put then move, so David has a big handicap. Having been a real estate agent, I feel for him when they choose to love it instead of list it.

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
On 5/29/2018 at 5:36 PM, ForReal said:

of course people are going to choose not to move. Who wants to move? Packing sucks. It's so unfair that David has such a disadvantage in getting people to list. I get pissed off every time and swear I won't watch anymore when they stay put.

They've already packed, so that Hilary can do her renovations.

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
On 5/22/2018 at 8:48 PM, rlc said:

I cannot stand how these moronic homeowners who go on and on complaining that Hillary cannot give them a completely renovated house for 50k just because they want one. The new episode on Monday was beyond infuriating- you can’t give me a new kitchen, two new bathrooms, a new laundry room, remove all the walls on the first floor, and redo the master closets for $75,000, so I’m taking $20,000 away from your budget.

I’m still watching this one, so I don’t know the outcome yet. But yeah, it’s frustrating when homeowners refuse to accept that they can’t have everything they want on a limited budget. I like that Hillary was straightforward about the ridiculousness of their requests. 

And I had to comment now because it infuriates me during the house-hunting segments that David has been tasked with finding a private office AND a man cave—excuse me, wolf den, for the husband. Is this his bachelor pad all of a sudden? And what space does the wife get for herself? Will she live in the walk-in closet she’s asking for? 

  • Like 6

Share this post


Link to post

Good God, I hated last night's couple.

Another example of living in a mess and thinking a bigger house will solve their sloby ways.

There was a basketball hoop in the family room. The dining table was covered with kitchen appliances. The kitchen cabinets were a jumbled mess. And the master closet and bedroom were filled with clothes and accessories all over the place. 

From the start David wondered are they having a garage sale?

  • Like 4

Share this post


Link to post
On 6/26/2018 at 10:07 AM, stormy said:

Good God, I hated last night's couple.

Another example of living in a mess and thinking a bigger house will solve their sloby ways.

There was a basketball hoop in the family room. The dining table was covered with kitchen appliances. The kitchen cabinets were a jumbled mess. And the master closet and bedroom were filled with clothes and accessories all over the place. 

From the start David wondered are they having a garage sale?

Just me but I don't take the messes in these homes, seriously.  Over the years, multiple LIOLI participants admitted that they were instructed to mess up their homes for the opening scenes, setting up Hilary's storage plot line and the larger homes David presented.

And, about that bigger house, participants also said they don't necessarily buy one of the homes filmed ... or even move, period.  If this couple listed, does anyone believe they're upsizing with 3 adult children and a 16 yo?  Most participants sign up for the discounted renovation and their 15 minutes of fame, filming two endings, allowing the show to edit for either outcome.

Didn't the husband (and the subsequent story editor) flub on this one?  At one home, didn't he indicate the bedrooms were too nice, meaning his adult children might return?  He reminded David that the saying isn't "Happy kids, happy life".  Oops!

Edited by aguabella
  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
On 5/29/2018 at 3:25 PM, chessiegal said:

You do realize this show is totally fake. Everything is either predetermined or just for show.

 

On 5/30/2018 at 1:53 PM, ForReal said:

That is beside the point. Even if the show were 100% legit, people would still rather stay put then move, so David has a big handicap. Having been a real estate agent, I feel for him when they choose to love it instead of list it.

???  Trying to understand why David might be handicapped, ForReal.  Interesting comment.  As chessiegal mentioned, the show's predetermined.  Did you mean that, as a former realtor, you just prefer that the show let the realtor win, even though it's fake?

In the pre-crash days, it came out that they filmed two endings and tried to even up the score.  As you implied, most people sign up for the discounted renovation.  When they don't move in real life, after the show, and friends inquire, they just claim they "changed their mind".  (These HGTV shows require a non-disclosure but info slips out.)

Post-crash, with so few people upgrading, they gave up and let Hilary "win" most of the time.  David signed a "talent contract" and is paid as an actor.  He isn't licensed as a realtor in NC and has no financial interest, either way.

Edited by aguabella

Share this post


Link to post
8 hours ago, aguabella said:

If this couple listed, does anyone believe they're upsizing with 3 adult children and a 16 yo? 

I also didn't get that. I renovated our kitchen 3 years before our first went to college and rationalized the (smaller) counter depth fridge as "they'll be gone soon" !

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
17 hours ago, aguabella said:

 

???  Trying to understand why David might be handicapped, ForReal.  Interesting comment.  As chessiegal mentioned, the show's predetermined.  Did you mean that, as a former realtor, you just prefer that the show let the realtor win, even though it's fake?

In the pre-crash days, it came out that they filmed two endings and tried to even up the score.  As you implied, most people sign up for the discounted renovation.  When they don't move in real life, after the show, and friends inquire, they just claim they "changed their mind".  (These HGTV shows require a non-disclosure but info slips out.)

Post-crash, with so few people upgrading, they gave up and let Hilary "win" most of the time.  David signed a "talent contract" and is paid as an actor.  He isn't licensed as a realtor in NC and has no financial interest, either way.

When I watch this show, I suspend disbelief and try to not to think about the show being fake and the participants being actors. The premise is interesting -- if people unhappy with their current home could have it fixed or get a new home fulfilling their wishes, which would they choose -- and I feel in most cases they would stay because they are spared the work of moving. This is why I think David (representing the real estate agent) is at a disadvantage.

  • Like 6

Share this post


Link to post

Anytime I have watched this show, I find David has a huge advantage.  In the last one I watched, for instance, the couple allowed David to go $90,000 over budget (!!!!) but wouldn’t give Hilary an extra $10,000 to add a third bathroom when she discovered their water heater and electrical system were obsolete and had to be replaced regardless.  I think if they let him go over budget, they should have to give her matching funds.  Hilary did an amazing job, but they took the new house because they said now their current home was worth so much more after her renovations.  How is that a win for David?!?

I know it is fake, but it should at least be a better job at pretending to be real.

Edited by Crs97
  • Like 4

Share this post


Link to post

As fake as it is, what happens to the beautiful furniture that's brought in if they decide to love it?

A house full of nice furniture could cost as much as the renovation.

Share this post


Link to post

On Property Bros they keep all of the decor.  They use the homeowners pieces that they want included, too.  Each show is different.  Some sell you the stuff at a discounted price.  I cannot find what happens on this show. 

It was false that this show films two endings.  They do not. The homeowners reactions are real as are the unexpected problems that arise. Hilary wins most often because those who apply really just want a renovation. The few who do plan to sell don’t buy a house from David.  They do that on their own.

I like Hilary’s skill and would hire her in a heartbeat. 

I love this show and FF through the house hunting to see the finished product. 

Edited by Wings
  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
9 hours ago, Wings said:

The homeowners reactions are real as are the unexpected problems that arise.

The thing that makes me suspicious is those "unexpected problems." Often they are things that a competent builder/contractor would know from the get-go, and by this time HIlary should be able to think of these issues herself. It seems like she budgets assuming that there are no load-bearing wall issues, no old-HVAC issues, no termite damage in an ancient house, etc. for the DRAMA.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
39 minutes ago, dleighg said:

The thing that makes me suspicious is those "unexpected problems." Often they are things that a competent builder/contractor would know from the get-go, and by this time HIlary should be able to think of these issues herself. It seems like she budgets assuming that there are no load-bearing wall issues, no old-HVAC issues, no termite damage in an ancient house, etc. for the DRAMA.

I agree. The article, that now eludes me, said some are known but some are not evident until the renovation starts.  There are surprises.  The HOs are willing to pay more when those are found because they want their house fixed and have no intention to move. 

Share this post


Link to post
On 6/30/2018 at 3:51 PM, ForReal said:

When I watch this show, I suspend disbelief and try to not to think about the show being fake and the participants being actors. The premise is interesting -- if people unhappy with their current home could have it fixed or get a new home fulfilling their wishes, which would they choose -- and I feel in most cases they would stay because they are spared the work of moving. This is why I think David (representing the real estate agent) is at a disadvantage.

This is exactly me - and the exact opposite of me!  I take the show at face value and don't really care how much is real vs. fake.  But...I feel David is the one at an advantage.  I've lived in an older home and wanted OUT!! LOL!  Something new, spacious, clean & fully functioning has huge appeal over the place where you already know all the flaws.  The couples always seem so cheap with their reno budget, and generous on their purchase budget (never mentioning the obvious expenses associated with relocating).  I almost always like the "perfect fit" homes David finds for the families, and can't imagine them wanting to pass them up -- but always root for them to "love it"!

I like Hilary's style - no matchy tile for the kitchen, bathroom, fireplace & pool; no overload of tchotchkes, old typewriters or giant wall art.   I wish they'd show us more of the reno process, choosing of materials, final results, etc.  instead of just a quick glimpse of the "after".

  • Like 4

Share this post


Link to post

I enjoy watching the Vancouver spinoff because Vancouver is so beautiful, and the homes are as well. My favorite part of this spinoff is the fact that the budget is always high. I actually like the personalities on this show more than the original, although some of Jillian's designs do seem to lack creativity. 

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post

I've grown to hate this show. I would totally watch a renovation show with Hillary, as I think she does a good job, but the fake arguments with contractors and obnoxious banter between her and David are so grating that I just can't stand to watch it anymore. By the end of every episode, I just want to punch the homeowners in the throat. I'm sure the producers egg them on to act like total twats because that's the shtick of the show, but it makes me not want them to get anything they want.

DAVID: Here's a house that's under budget and gives you everything in your "Must Have" list.

HOMEOWNER: *rolls eyes* But that wall color is eggshell, and I prefer parchment.

The concept of this show has always intrigued me, but the execution drives me nuts.

  • Like 7

Share this post


Link to post

Watching some shows today while working from home.  

First show, couple had a tiny house, looked like a Cape Cod (yellow outside).  They were adding onto the kitchen by expanding it onto what was the back porch/deck.  The husband (Matt, I think was his name) wanted the basement redone.  It was unfinished, just brick/cement walls and probably electrical, water heater, furnace down there with some stuff stored down there (maybe laundry but that wasn't on their must have list to move).  Eric and his crew get there, after it rained the night before.  Yep, standing water In the basement, well above ankle deep.  There were issues with the grading, foundation, etc.  Homeowners had to have known about water problem in basement.

Hillary tells hubby, uh basement isn't being renovated.  His big deal (along with big kitchen) was that he had to have enough room to store all of his clothes.  He had not mentioned that one bit to Hillary beforehand.  I think they loved it eventually.  It was still a small house, but Hillary just reorganized it, along with fixing the water problem and they had a larger kitchen.

Next show, couple living in an older home that has a lot of renovations needed, none of which were really cosmetic.  The back door to the house has a drop off of about one story.  The one wife had done work (she was a contractor), but it was a lot of stuff to be done.  The other wife said oh a screened in porch is a must have.  They were also wanting the basement to be a space for one of their mothers (it was an unfinished basement again).  Hillary wanted to turn the attic into a master suite, give mom the original master (redone and spruced up).  Nope.  The one wanted the basement redone, even when Hillary said you'd be doubling your square footage.  I don't get it.  When someone who works in real estate/design is giving you advice on how to add value and functionality the best way, and you say no immediately...…...why don't you just hire your own contractors or sell the house as is?

  • Like 4

Share this post


Link to post
On 7/31/2018 at 11:43 PM, Jordan Schmitt said:

I love looking at the updates on the website!

I am off to look now.  I didn’t know the had them!  Thanks

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post

I watch this as a renovation show with a different spin.  I FF through David For the most part but watch the last house he shows.   I love Hilary and the design team’s taste.   Blue is not a color I am drawn to but the shades she chooses are lovely and present as neutral.   Though I don’t care how much is fake I still would love to know the details.  

I was disappointed to see they only have 4 updates on their site, none of which I remember.  They should at least show updates on the shows they are currently running.  Well maybe they don’t have any. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post

I am watching an episode now called "Elbow Room."  A couple, Joe and Jill, adopted 2 sons and needs more room. There is a separate man cave cabin on the property. The couple have a decidely New Yorkese or NJ accent but I am guessing they are NC transplants. My beef with this show and Property Brothers is they do not tell you locations like House Hunters.

Share this post


Link to post

Is anyone watching the new season? What happened to Kenny? Jillian's fiancé is part of the show full time now? I was in a hurry and only got to catch about fifteen minutes of a new epiosode. 

Share this post


Link to post
2 hours ago, MrPissyPuppy said:

LemonSoda, are you in Canada?  I'm in the US and it doesn't appear HGTV is showingLove It or List It Vancouver/Too reruns or new season here right now. 

No, I'm in the US currently. Apparently the current season is airing here first. They showed two episodes last Friday. It's all kind of weird. No advertising or anything that I've seen. 

The first two episodes are on watch.hgtv.com 

Edited by LemonSoda · Reason: Add more info

Share this post


Link to post

My biggest issue with this show:  "We need to move because there isn't enough space - this house is just too small" as camera pans around room cluttered with shit no one in their right mind has owned since 1977.    "I mean, what do you expect us to do?  Spend one weekend thoroughly cleaning this sty?  Make our kids donate/toss their unused/broken toys?   Make a few trips to Goodwill?  I mean, who has that kind of time?  It would be easier to be displaced from our home for 60 days while a herd of strangers traipses through tearing it apart, and spend several weekends touring houses I really don't want to buy."

  • Like 9

Share this post


Link to post
On 7/7/2018 at 4:45 PM, Wings said:

On Property Bros they keep all of the decor.  They use the homeowners pieces that they want included, too.  Each show is different.  Some sell you the stuff at a discounted price.  I cannot find what happens on this show. 

It was false that this show films two endings.  They do not. The homeowners reactions are real as are the unexpected problems that arise. Hilary wins most often because those who apply really just want a renovation. The few who do plan to sell don’t buy a house from David.  They do that on their own.

I like Hilary’s skill and would hire her in a heartbeat. 

I love this show and FF through the house hunting to see the finished product. 

 

Sure about that word choice on two endings?  "False"?  Is that fair?  I posted about it upthread but didn't insert a reference b/c it's been reported by reputable sources more than a few times, IIRC.  Were the show participants who reported it lying?

Is it possible you're thinking of a recent interview, one single interview, wherein the participants didn't mention it?  IIRC, the NC guys' interview was done after HGTV nda's were tightened up after the HH fiasco.  (Meaning, they prob wouldn't mention it.)  And, if a reporter neglects to question participants about that issue, does that mean it didn't happen?  Or, if it didn't happen on a single episode but does on most others?

When I first learned of the practice, years ago, I realized that it makes perfect sense, too.  I've seen every episode that's aired in the U.S., assuming my dvr found them, lol.  Can't remember an episode that couldn't go either way, reasonably.  So, the multiple endings allow the story editor maximum flexibility in post-production as they (effectively) write the episode by culling down 2 weeks filming to 44 minutes of airtime.

No worries, Wings.

Edited by aguabella
  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
On 3/29/2014 at 2:57 PM, Lola16 said:

Love It or List It -- Hilary & David in the Greater Toronto area

There are now updates on the HGTV website --- 1 year later look at the houses:

http://www.hgtv.com/love-it-or-list-it/show/index.html?vty=/loveitorlistit/index.html

There was a couple on where the husband was a real estate agent and the wife was a lawyer.  She was love it, he was list it.  They had 3 boys and 3 bedrooms in what looked like a townhouse but wasn't.  It had a small foyer which was overstuffed with clothes, shoes etc; laundry on the main floor which he hated; a small powder room that was used frequently that she demanded be removed; an upstairs with 3 small bedrooms and a huge family room which she wouldn't allow to be touched.  Hil removed the foyer so there's no coat/shoes storage, removed the powder room and installed a trough sink in the top floor bathroom for 85K.  The woman was incredibly argumentative and arrogant.  She decides to list it for the very changes that she requested.  If this wasn't fake, I'd probably pelt her with water balloons.  The kitchen of course looked pretty but the main floor lost a lot of functionality and the upstairs was a cluttered mess with post-its everywhere (the lawyer's idea of organization).

A house 2 doors down with an extra bedroom came on the market so they bought that and are incorporating Hilary's design changes from their listed house into this one.

This might be one of the most famous fakes from the Toronto years.  If I'm remembering everything correctly, lol:

The lower level had an office / bedroom plus 3/4 bath.  In addition, the upper level was a separate master with beautiful ensuite.  Neither the lower nor upper levels were aired.  So, no office, m-bath or 3/4 bath, IIRC.

The show removed the office, crowding the desks plus all related junk into the upstairs to demo the need for an office / add'l bedroom.  Plus, they never showed the m bath, filming the entire family crowding into the main floor bath.  (I believe they omitted all or part of the 3/4 bath as part of that lower level, too.)

On top of that, they never mentioned the home was a block or two from the beach!

I assumed the home was a list-it all along.  The guy was a realtor plus they listed as soon as the show aired.  IIRC, the first listing photos omitted those areas, naturally.  Then, when it didn't sell right away, oops, out they came!

Years ago and just my recollection of an infamous episode!

Edited by aguabella

Share this post


Link to post

I believe they're a month or so ahead in Canada.  (Wasn't looking for it but noticed fan postings about it before it started in the U.S.)

Sounds like they're catering everything for Jillian and her kid(s) / family.  Everyone notice the area they filmed in the episodes shown to date in the U.S.?  Apparently Jillian lives out there.

And her fiance?  If they asked me, Kenny doesn't act particularly well but he can return anytime.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
On 6/30/2018 at 12:51 PM, ForReal said:

When I watch this show, I suspend disbelief and try to not to think about the show being fake and the participants being actors. The premise is interesting -- if people unhappy with their current home could have it fixed or get a new home fulfilling their wishes, which would they choose -- and I feel in most cases they would stay because they are spared the work of moving. This is why I think David (representing the real estate agent) is at a disadvantage.

I watch it exactly the same way, i.e. as a drama, the same way I'd view a play or movie.  I don't focus on the details until much later and usually not at all unless posting.

Share this post


Link to post
On 6/3/2015 at 7:38 AM, SunnyBeBe said:

Man, I must be biased, since I didn't think Rodolfo seemed any more oppositional than any previous homeowners.  I do think the part about him not understanding how she could make a closet without encroaching on room space was staged.  He's a smart guy.

 

I have read that they film the ending with both ways.  One version is with them listing and the other loving it.  I'm not sure if that is true.  I do look forward to speaking with my friends and seeing if they really are going to move into the new home.  I think they make a great decision.  But, maybe that's because I know the area of their existing house.

 

It's in the Mordecai neighborhood.  It's very old and dates back the 1700's!  Here's a link about it.  

http://www.mordecai.org/history

 

http://www.raleighnc.gov/parks/content/ParksRec/Articles/Parks/Mordecai.html

 

I think that getting a driveway at the their existing house requires a lot.  If you break the curb, you have to apply for approval and pay a lot of fees.  Plus, I read that some houses on Mordecai Drive, which is what they are on, SHARE a driveway due to the deed!  I would find it difficult to handle.  

 

Plus, because this is an historic district, every little thing has to be approved. Even things like plants and shrubs.  

 

I have seen one other show that was filmed in Raleigh, but I couldn't decipher the street.  One was filmed in Durham.  I suspect we will be seeing a lot of them in the upcoming months.  If I recognize any of the streets or neighborhoods, I'll post here.

These are the guys who "listed" on the show and did an article commenting on how "realistic" the show is, correct?

SunnyBeBe, ever follow up on their move?  I have the Mordecai Dr. address* but the home hasn't been transferred since 2006!  (My guess was they purchased from Greg's father in '06.)  Their episode aired in 2015 or so.

So much for realism, lol. 

 

*not posting for their privacy but happy to PM the link.  SunnyBeBe, even though I'm sure it's their home, I'd love to verify the address with you.

Edited by aguabella
  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
On 8/18/2018 at 8:22 PM, sskrill said:

My biggest issue with this show:  "We need to move because there isn't enough space - this house is just too small" as camera pans around room cluttered with shit no one in their right mind has owned since 1977.    "I mean, what do you expect us to do?  Spend one weekend thoroughly cleaning this sty?  Make our kids donate/toss their unused/broken toys?   Make a few trips to Goodwill?  I mean, who has that kind of time?  It would be easier to be displaced from our home for 60 days while a herd of strangers traipses through tearing it apart, and spend several weekends touring houses I really don't want to buy."

While I think Hilary does a good job decorating overall, that doesn't mean her taste matches mine and I'd want her to redecorate my entire home, although she is welcome to organize it and clean it. When they show the place at the end, I always wonder if her staff has put the homeowners' clothes and stuff away or if it's just staged stuff. If she put all my stuff away nicely and neatly, I wouldn't want to move, even though it wouldn't stay nice and neat for more than a week or so.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
On 8/26/2018 at 7:44 AM, ForReal said:

While I think Hilary does a good job decorating overall, that doesn't mean her taste matches mine and I'd want her to redecorate my entire home, although she is welcome to organize it and clean it. When they show the place at the end, I always wonder if her staff has put the homeowners' clothes and stuff away or if it's just staged stuff. If she put all my stuff away nicely and neatly, I wouldn't want to move, even though it wouldn't stay nice and neat for more than a week or so.

The home owners move out, totally, before construction begins.  The clothes in the closets are part of the staging. 

Share this post


Link to post
On 8/25/2018 at 6:47 PM, aguabella said:

Sure about that word choice on two endings?  "False"?  Is that fair?  I posted about it upthread but didn't insert a reference b/c it's been reported by reputable sources more than a few times, IIRC.  Were the show participants who reported it lying?

Is it possible you're thinking of a recent interview, one single interview, wherein the participants didn't mention it?  IIRC, the NC guys' interview was done after HGTV nda's were tightened up after the HH fiasco.  (Meaning, they prob wouldn't mention it.)  And, if a reporter neglects to question participants about that issue, does that mean it didn't happen?  Or, if it didn't happen on a single episode but does on most others?

When I first learned of the practice, years ago, I realized that it makes perfect sense, too.  I've seen every episode that's aired in the U.S., assuming my dvr found them, lol.  Can't remember an episode that couldn't go either way, reasonably.  So, the multiple endings allow the story editor maximum flexibility in post-production as they (effectively) write the episode by culling down 2 weeks filming to 44 minutes of airtime.

No worries, Wings.

Sorry.  When I posted I had not read your other post about the people who said they filmed 2 endings.  I was going on false information probably put out by production!

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
×