Type keyword(s) to search

"The View": Week of 07/18/2016

Jaded
  • Start Topic

Monday: Zoe Saldana and Simon Pegg ("Star Trek Beyond"); "View Your Deal" with hottest items at affordable prices, hosted by Gretta Monahan.

Tuesday: Jennifer Saunders and Joanna Lumley ("Absolutely Fabulous: The Movie").

Wednesday: Julianne Moore (author, "Freckleface Strawberry and the Really Big Voice").

Thursday: Day of Hot Topics; Paula Faris reports from the RNC in Cleveland, Ohio.

Friday: Mike Birbiglia and Gillian Jacobs ("Don't Think Twice").

I hate when Whoopi tries to act all verklempt and at a loss for words when speaking of a deceased actor. We all know she doesn't know the actor's name or any details and that she's being fed the words through her earpiece.  How awkward for the guest actors, who actually knew and loved the dead actor.

• Love 5

There was one topic I’d hoped they would cover on the show, but nope. Hopefully, it’ll show up in the next day or two.

I’m glad Sunny refused to let the Jedi deflect/misdirect when they were discussing gun control. I know it’s unfair because a person can’t control what they look or sound like, but Jedi really just creeps me out in every way possible. God, I wish they would keep her out of the interviews. The last thing the guests need is her foisting her homophobic misogyny onto them like she did with the Star Trek guests. She can’t even talk about Taylor Swift without reveling in the fact that she gets to take the piss out of a woman and roundabout insult feminism at the same time. She is repulsive. Candace and Raven have to be at the table for her to even have a chance at not being the worst co-host on this show, and she poisons a good panel like this one. I’ll take Whoopi any day over this wretch.

• Love 7

I blew a gasket when that ever annoying Jeb person - please...get the hell back to Fox News and stay there - was defending Pence in that ridiculous farce of an interview with him and Trump on 60 Minutes. She, of course, was defending him, saying that he handled the interview "like a true politician, deflecting the questions." DEFLECTING?!!!! Were you watching the same interview I was?!!! That was NOT deflecting....that was just out and out NOT EFFING ANSWERING!!!! He did not answer ONE SINGLE QUESTION he was asked. Not a one. Ms. Stahl was a lot more patient than I would have been. I would have said, "If you will not answer any of my questions, then the interview is over" remove mike, and leave. 

As much as Michelle Collins bugged me, this one? Worse. Way worse!!

And Whoopi? Spare us the phony emotional display. It came across as very, very  fake.

• Love 11

Thank goodness Joy was back but I was hoping the show would be better. Raven was off probably glued to her cell phone which was good, airhead Sara Haines continues to add nothing and I think we're in for a very long week with Jedi at the table.

I don't need anymore of "View your Deal".

• Love 4

Like Joy, I am disappointed in Christie not getting the VP spot, purely from a lost comedy standpoint. This Pence guy, however, is terrifying.

Why hell was Whoopie there today, having had oral surgery? She was difficult to understand. Joy was there - she could have moderated.

• Love 5
On 7/17/2016 at 6:35 AM, NewDigs said:

Tuesday might be must-see-teevee for me.

A movie! I did not know.

I think Freckleface Strawberry and the Really Big Voice is Julianne Moore's children's book but I might be wrong.   

(edited)

Sunny is always so close to pointing out Whoopis inconsistencies and contradictions but she just never does. She must be "greatful" for her helping her get the job like so many panelists before her.

ETA: Sara did a good job explaining the Taylor/Kanye story without Industy Insider Raven to dumb it down for us peons. 

Edited by geekburger
  • Love 4

So if she admits she was zoned and not at her personal best, why did the producers let her moderate?  I was mortified during the segment with Zoe and Simon.  The slurring, the general ineptitude during the conversation about the late Anton Yelchin was unbearable.  Keep WG in the conversation, let someone else moderate.

• Love 2
(edited)
1 hour ago, Fisher King said:

^^^Because she is the almighty Whoopster. They all fall at her feet.

Okay, today I'm 10 minutes in & I'm totally down with Whoopi blasting Rudy Giuliani.

My bold.  Ditto @Fisher King.  I love it when she gets riled up & she's "right".  LOL.

Edited by Medicine Crow
  • Love 10
2 hours ago, Fisher King said:

Okay, today I'm 10 minutes in & I'm totally down with Whoopi blasting Rudy Giuliani.

It's awesome to see all that bombast actually put to good use for a change, isn't it?  I was loving a lot of what Whoopi had to say today, actually ... then she started in with the "don't email me, I don't care!" and she lost me.  It just kills me that on a show called "The View" she is so disinterested in how anyone else views things.  They should change the title of the show to "Whoopi Goldberg's View" and just have her sit on a throne and rant for an hour a day.  They can scroll an advisory at the bottom of the screen telling viewers to not bother emailing, tweeting, or writing to her because SHE DOESN'T CARE! 

Anyway, back to Rudy G ... I was so glad when Sunny used the word "nutty" to describe him.  Because he was just .... well, nutty last night.  I couldn't believe how people on the news channels were singing his praises for that speech afterwards.  I thought maybe I was alone in my opinion that someone needed to grab the hook and pull him off the stage.  Sunny's word choice was spot-on in my opinion.  Nutty! 

• Love 12
(edited)

I got busy and haven't made it past the initial 10 minutes yet. Of course Whoopi's gonna find a way ASAP to direct her repetitive, annoying bullshit back toward us. "Bombast" is such a great description, Celia!

Yes to what Sunny said about Giuliani as well!

Edited by Fisher King
Can't spell for crap.
  • Love 3
17 hours ago, Medicine Crow said:

When Zoe "bragged" about nursing her twins, Sara smiled & put on a brave face.  Good for her!!

Who? When? "I'm sooooooo confuuuuused!" (a la Vinnie Barbarino)

4 hours ago, sugarbaker design said:

So if she admits she was zoned and not at her personal best, why did the producers let her moderate?  I was mortified during the segment with Zoe and Simon.  The slurring, the general ineptitude during the conversation about the late Anton Yelchin was unbearable.  Keep WG in the conversation, let someone else moderate.

Something must have happened because I did not see this-mebbe my finger hit the fast forward button for warp speed, because the only thing I do recall fast forwarding was the shopping thing Sara was doing with some brunette in a hat. I was wondering what y'all were talking about Whoopi acting like she knows every celebrity that dies. And wiondering-who died over the weekend? Then I read this and was even more confuzzled because it didn't happen!

Hmmmm, I wonder if my teevee is trying to tell me something? I was left having to listen to the Jedajabbadahut argue with Sunny, yet kowtow and defer to Whoopi about guns. And how what a raging hypocrite she is, lauding that Pence, who is ESTABLISHMENT, all the while she's been yelling how the country needs that blowhard Oranguatan, because he's not Aand he's a businessman.

23 minutes ago, Celia Rubenstein said:

then she started in with the "don't email me, I don't care!" and she lost me.  It just kills me that on a show called "The View" she is so disinterested in how anyone else views things.  They should change the title of the show to "Whoopi Goldberg's View" and just have her sit on a throne and rant for an hour a day.  They can scroll an advisory at the bottom of the screen telling viewers to not bother emailing, tweeting, or writing to her because SHE DOESN'T CARE! 

That's cuz she no longer is afeared her contract won't be renewed and she'll be shown the door. BUT, since the MORONS at ABC renewed her for one more year, she's piled up on the arrogance, smug, and assholery to make up for lost time.

• Love 7
(edited)

I'm really liking Sunny on the panel. I didn't realize that "my word is my bond" was an African American thing until today. Now I know and that's a good thing. I also don't think Melania was deliberately sabotaged. I bet the plagiarized part came from one of #Drumpf's entitled kids or staffer (maybe Manafort) thinking nobody would check and they'd get away with it. (1 in a trillion chance speech wasn't plagiarized - #Turnitin)

Edited by merriebreeze
  • Love 7

I think I figured out why Jedidiah drives me nuts. She yells over everyone and is very strident. I generally like New York accents (originally a New Yorker), but hers drives me insane when she is yelling. It's so very FOX NEWS of her.

Sunny, on the other hand, occasionally speaks over the others, but she doesn't raise her voice. Plus she is able to put her point into very few words, and can be devastating that way.

When someone yells, it stops me from hearing what they have to say.

• Love 8
(edited)
7 hours ago, sugarbaker design said:

You've seen this show before right?  Just kidding but it's not even the first time Whoopi has appeared 'zoned' on this show - the best example being last season when she returned from "back problems" too early and heavily medicated.  She was completely out of it while RO (and everyone else) looked on.  That was the only day she was on that entire week lol. 

1 hour ago, ginger90 said:

Giuliani looked like he was about to have a stroke.

I thought he looked like he was having an orgasm.  The guy was having the time of his life shouting that "THEY ARE COMING TO KILL US" and having the crowd go crazy(ier).

I'm sorry I didn't hear what the co-hosts had to say about it - I meant to watch the show and when they opened it with the rock star silhouettes ala Trump I cheered at Whoopi's missing form but then she suddenly appeared from the side and I just wasn't in the mood for her big mouth today and clicked off. 

Edited by Cosmocrush
  • Love 6
(edited)

With as much as they discussed Melania's speech, I am surprised no one mentioned how Trump's campaign guy Paul Manafort went on TV and blamed the whole plagiarism controversy on Hillary Clinton, claiming she is once again trying to destroy another woman because that's what Hillary does to women who make her feel threatened, lol.  Had his statement not come out yet when the show was taped on the east coast? 

I hope Joy brings it up tomorrow because it is actually really funny in its incredible preposterousness.  And I hope Paula is there to defend the idea because I have not had a good laugh at her expense in a while.

1 hour ago, merriebreeze said:

I didn't realize that "my word is my bond" was an African American thing until today. Now I know and that's a good thing. 

I am whiter than Whitey McWhiterson and I've heard that expression my whole life from other white people (me three!).  It goes all the way back to the Bible, apparently.  But I googled "word is bond African American" and apparently the phrase has deep roots within the Black community going way back.  It is often shortened to "word," that's where that expression comes from (according to Urban Dictionary, anyway).  I had no idea it was such a "thing" in the Black community so Sunny taught me something today.

Apparently someone should have taught that to Melania because she is now being accused of cultural appropriation in addition to plagiarism lol

Edited by Celia Rubenstein
  • Love 5
5 minutes ago, Celia Rubenstein said:

With as much as they discussed Melania's speech, I am surprised no one mentioned how Trump's campaign guy Paul Manafort went on TV and blamed the whole plagiarism controversy on Hillary Clinton, claiming she is once again trying to destroy another woman because that's what Hillary does to women who make her feel threatened, lol.  Had his statement not come out yet when the show was taped on the east coast? 

<snip>

Apparently someone should have taught that to Melania because she is now being accused of cultural appropriation in addition to plagiarism lol

I didn't get to see the show today, but I heard Manafort threw Melania under the bus on CBS's morning show by saying she knew what she was doing. Which probably didn't go over well with Donald.  I've been hearing her speech and Michelle's side by side and yeah, word for word.  Blaming Hillary is typical deflection.  (But cultural appropriation is awesome.)

• Love 5
6 hours ago, Celia Rubenstein said:

I am whiter than Whitey McWhiterson and I've heard that expression my whole life from other white people (me three!).  It goes all the way back to the Bible, apparently.  But I googled "word is bond African American" and apparently the phrase has deep roots within the Black community going way back.  It is often shortened to "word," that's where that expression comes from (according to Urban Dictionary, anyway).  I had no idea it was such a "thing" in the Black community so Sunny taught me something today.

Shortening it to "word" - I never realized that "word" was short for my word is my bond.. But that makes total sense when you mention the context of just the word "word."

The first people I ever heard used that were African American friends. It was ages ago and it is still in use. And all this time when they said to me "word" as a reply to something I said, I assumed it meant something like "you got that right."

The nifty stuff I learn on these forums!

• Love 5
5 hours ago, tvaddict44 said:

Re: Fisher King's reply

Joy said someone "got their degree from Trump university" (notice no capital on University) but I can't remember who it was.  Anyone?

I missed when that was said. Sounds just like something Joy would say.

5 hours ago, tvaddict44 said:

Re: Fisher King's reply

Joy said someone "got their degree from Trump university" (notice no capital on University) but I can't remember who it was.  Anyone?

I think it was directed at Melania. 

• Love 1
(edited)

I thought the reason Gretchen didn't sue Fox or its parent company was due to the arbitration clause in her contract barring her from suing them and not so much as Sunny said - to make it "personal" against Ailes. 

Edited by merriebreeze
  • Love 1

I guess it's time for me to take a break from this show because Miss Whoopi is making me crazy.  When do they go on break?  She knows everything about everything, she has worked with everybody, she  knows how to solve all problems, she is an expert on sexual harrassment, she has Birkenstocks that Julianne Moore is unable to get.  Excuse my rant, I was at the dentist and that makes me cranky.

• Love 12
11 minutes ago, Morgalisa said:

I guess it's time for me to take a break from this show because Miss Whoopi is making me crazy.  When do they go on break?  She knows everything about everything, she has worked with everybody

Shit.  I forgot she worked with Garry Marshall on Soapdish. So of course she would say she knew him, and blah. blah, blah.

• Love 4

I'm fascinated by the  "bond" discussion. When I heard that part of the speech I thought it was an interesting choice of words for someone with ESL . It made perfect sense to me that Melania did not write those words. 

Interesting, though, how Trump seems to have a need to embellish the backgrounds of his wives and family members. Melania is not a college graduate, Ivana was not an Olympian, his father was not Swiss etc,etc.  This may be a good discussion topic

I heard someone mention how smart Milania is and how she will be able to discuss issues with world leaders in their own language. 

• Love 2
(edited)

Someone must've put a sedative in Jedi's drink today. Or maybe she thought she'd go back to her Libertarian claim for the day--or whatever she said she was. Sara's reactions to Joy are hilarious. Quack, quack.

Even though I liked that Sunny admitted she was wrong about sagging, naturally Whoopi was obnoxious. Enjoy it, Whoopi, I'm sure this'll be one of the few times in your life you'll be correct and Sunny wrong. You could see how pissed she was that nobody asked her opinion during the topic about separation in relationships. Miss Whoopi just can't bear that she isn't treated as the All-Knowing--didn't they read her book?

Edited by TheGreenKnight
  • Love 6
(edited)

I don't believe the breast report. Because gravity.   Sunny has alot of insecure hangups for an educated woman.  No pun intended.  I hate when she acts coy or puts her head down like she's shy or embarrassed. It's not becoming. 

Most definitely nursing mothers will sag permanently without support.  Larger breasted women also.  

I love taking my bra off at night for bed.  Also,  when I'm at home,  I'll wear a sports bra for support and comfort as well as covering the headlights.  

Regarding Melania speaking 5 languages. ..I think that's also an exaggeration.  People in Europe learn basic phrases if they travel around the continent.  I doubt she could converse for very long with anyone other than in English or her native language.  Unless she lived in Paris or Milan for a few years when she was modeling. 

Edited by Tosia
  • Love 7

As a full figured woman, I don't believe the breast report either.  My sister hated wearing bras and I, like Sunny, actually find it uncomfortable to have everything hanging out.  Fast forward a few decades, and my sister's fruits are much more low hanging than mine.  Plus, given that this is the View, I can be certain that they didn't actually research the issue or factor in any limits about the study (was it a small sampling of women?, did bra/cup size play a role?, was it a definitive or preliminary study?, etc.).  And to top it all off, Whoopi has to stand up and take center stage as living proof that she is the poster woman for braless, non-sagging boobs everywhere.  Which is ironic given the fact that during all of her years on this show, she has made joke after joke about how her breats are down to her knees, or she has to be careful not to step on them, etc., ad nauseum.   But I guess we're supposed to forget that and pretend like she's not totally contradicting herself.  Again.

• Love 13
36 minutes ago, Tosia said:

Sunny has alot of insecure hangups for an educated woman.  No pun intended.  I hate when she acts coy or puts her head down like she's shy or embarrassed. It's not becoming. 

I don't think being educated precludes one from being insecure.  I kind of like that about her.  She seems sincere when talking about having to deal with big breasts- same with Sara.  

I'm a returning viewer and do not find her to be as annoying as the comments I've been reading here.  Sunni can be very expressive with her face, I like the fact that she can express herself without having to shout over everyone.   

• Love 5

I see discussion of Sunny here and I want to chime in that I enjoy her as well. She's smart but isn't afraid to be human. And she knows a lot of stuff about a lot of stuff.

• Love 8

Agreed with the Sunni and Sara praise.

I also don't mind Jedi. She had a sense of humor about herself and her politics that Elisabeth and Paula don't have. With that being said as a full time panelist I think my tune would change a la Raven and even Michelle. Better in smaller doses. 

• Love 4
(edited)

So, on today's show we are told that women HAVE to have their own bank accounts.  Whoopi doesn't even like when couples buy things  jointly, because "what happens when you break up?"  
Yeah, that doesn't work for everyone.   I've been married a long time.  Our house, cars, furniture, etc. - are all jointly owned.  It's not a problem.  Never once have we been concerned about "who gets it when we break up?"   I can still buy what I want - but I'm thrifty and practical.  I'm sure if I went out and bought a $700 pair of shoes,  we'd have a talk about it.   Not because my husband is controlling, just because - we can't afford that!  (also, because I have no place to go to wear those shoes)

How great to have them talk about Pokémon fanatics without Raven jumping up and down and getting all hyper about it.

Edited by backformore
  • Love 6
(edited)

I guess we should prepare for another trainwreck next week with Joy out for the DNC. If Sunny and Sara are there, I'll make it through, but I'll be skipping if we get Whoopi/Paula/Candace/Raven/Jedi again (a virtual who's who of the worst View panelists). Why do they even need to go to the Conventions anyway? I’m hearing enough about the ‘60s flashback that is the RNC without Paula talking to the individual crazies out there. I’m so ready for next season to start and Candace/Raven to be gone. I can see them keeping Jedi to fill in Paula’s seat when she’s absent, although I think it’s completely unnecessary; 4 at the table when one is absent is fine. Sara, Joy, and Sunny together is fantastic, and they keep Whoopi from poisoning the show.

I wonder if Paula will think Bernie Sanders is making it about himself when he talks at the DNC (going by her comments about Cruz)? Too bad Sunny interrupted Joy’s question to Jedi about Hillary’s foreign policy. Jedi can take her nonsensical screaming back to Fox.

I took the millennials topic differently than they did. They took it to a selfish direction, but I thought it meant that millennials prefer to do what’s right over what’s convenient for a lot of people. In other words, that the right thing is important regardless if it’s inconvenient. It didn’t say “the right thing for themselves over everyone else.”

Edited by TheGreenKnight
  • Love 5

WHY - are these women forced to discuss stupid meaningless statistics?   The statistic was only 37% of millennials agree that they should ALWAYS  do the right thing rather than what's best for them.   SO - let's discuss this by interpreting it as "Statistics say that Millennials are selfish".  

OK -   OR let's look at the fact that a majority of people answering the question are reluctant to say yes to a hypothetical that includes the word "ALWAYS."   Because I'm closer to baby-boomer age than to Millennial age, and I'm not sure I would say I ALWAYS would do what's right if it's not what's best for me. 

• Love 2