Type keyword(s) to search

Artistic Gymnastics: Stick the Landing!

Just now, Crs97 said:

Does "Final" come from being Marta's last team?

I guess partly. But, also the team competition shrinks to 4 in Tokyo.

2 minutes ago, ParadoxLost said:

How long are the swim events supposed to going on?  It doesn't seem like gymnastics will be back until swimming is no longer Live.

Brace yourself. 11pm ET. Not sure if they'll cut away or not. Probably not.

• Love 1
2 minutes ago, ParadoxLost said:

How long are the swim events supposed to going on?  It doesn't seem like gymnastics will be back until swimming is no longer Live.

Last swimming event airs at 10:38 ET.  So probably no more gymnastics until 10:45-11.

45 minutes ago, ExplainItAgain said:

Guys...how did they announce they were the "Final Five"? I was expecting tshirts or a banner or something...but I totally missed it, lol.

After they won it showed them in a circle and putting their hands together, then saying "go final five!" Then the live stream commentators said that they finally knew their secret name. It was pretty cute.

• Love 1
1 minute ago, twoods said:

After they won it showed them in a circle and putting their hands together, then saying "go final five!" Then the live stream commentators said that they finally knew their secret name. It was pretty cute.

Thanks! The name is OK, but the adjective final just doesn't convey how amazing the team is!

• Love 1

I don't understand showing Swim semi finals over final women's gymnastics. Even if its live vs. pre recorded.

Because people who want to see gymnastics will be forced to stick around for the whole show.

I wish gymnastics was FAR LESS POPULAR.  Then NBC would dump it on Bravo where we would be able to see the entire event with decent commentators and no sob stories ... like rowing.  

• Love 9
3 minutes ago, ParadoxLost said:

I don't understand showing Swim semi finals over final women's gymnastics. Even if its live vs. pre recorded.

NBC's ratings for the last two nights (swimming and Phelps heavy) have been way up from the first couple nights of the Olympics. So they're all in on swimming now. 

• Love 2
26 minutes ago, Aliconehead said:

I would have gone with "phenomenal five". I just don't like "Final Five". Even if they lost they would have been the final five. Go with something that shows you were great. 

It is a tribute to Martha since it's her last time coaching the team. She said that when she heard what they called themselves she cried for the 2nd time in her career. It is very touching.

• Love 9
2 minutes ago, twoods said:

It is a tribute to Martha since it's her last time coaching the team. She said that when she heard what they called themselves she cried for the 2nd time in her career. It is very touching.

I agree second time after Nadia in 1976. I did love Martha pointing out she isn't very sentimental. 

• Love 3

If I was Laurie (and I know, I'm not, I'm just schlubby old me), I would go pro now. She's smiley and sparkly and sassy and advertisers will be beating down her door to hand her endorsements and sponsorships.

• Love 10
Just now, Minneapple said:

If I was Laurie (and I know, I'm not, I'm just schlubby old me), I would go pro now. She's smiley and sparkly and sassy and advertisers will be beating down her door to hand her endorsements and sponsorships.

She announced she was going pro right before the Olympics started.

2 hours ago, ExplainItAgain said:

I guess partly. But, also the team competition shrinks to 4 in Tokyo.

Brace yourself. 11pm ET. Not sure if they'll cut away or not. Probably not.

FOUR? like what the heck? like i miss when they sent seven but now they are doing four? that is silly. 

• Love 7
19 minutes ago, Scovies said:

She announced she was going pro right before the Olympics started.

How does a gymnast "go pro"? Join Cirque du Soleil or something similar? I'm not being snarky, I genuinely didn't know there was such a thing as a professional gymnast.

Re make-up: it's been hit or miss. I definitely remember some bright blue eye shadow on the Romanian gymnasts in the 80s (moreso than on the other teams), and sparkly make-up of various levels of intensity over the years. 

• Love 2
Just now, ExplainItAgain said:

Yes, but they can bring 2 additional gymnasts to qualify for individual events.

I wondering why they are shortening the bench so much so to speak. 

3 minutes ago, Cherpumple said:

How does a gymnast "go pro"? Join Cirque du Soleil or something similar? I'm not being snarky, I genuinely didn't know there was such a thing as a professional gymnast.

Re make-up: it's been hit or miss. I definitely remember some bright blue eye shadow on the Romanian gymnasts in the 80s (moreso than on the other teams), and sparkly make-up of various levels of intensity over the years. 

It basically means they're opening the door to accept prize money and endorsements and in turn, they give up their NCAA eligibility.

• Love 2

My "Phenemonal Five" has been tainted by the nasty Al Trautpig. I am now coming around to "Final Five" for that reason. 

The make up is throwing me off but I think this is symbolic of the maturing of the sport which is now celebrating strength and athletism, getting away from the tiny, young girls. 

• Love 2

The make-up is not that bad, seriously, the sparkles, in the hair, sparkle eyes-shadow in 04' they use to "cake it on with a trowel" look, and the scrunchies, the big bangs the Russian's were sporting in 96' and the "glitter bomb" exploded in the hair  look from 2000 on, even it has evolved into a Women's sport, not a little girl's sports.

• Love 2

There's no way those Chinese girls are 16+. No.  Way.  And I'm sick of Al Troutface.  Because it can't be said enough.  Shut up, Al!!  

And seriously NBC.  I didn't want to see 2 hours of men's volleyball.  Especially when the US isn't even playing. *sigh*

• Love 5

I like how they include all the time of US team sitting around waiting for scores or their turn rather than actually showing gymnasts from other countries because who cares about them.  USA! USA!

• Love 15
2 minutes ago, Shaynaa said:

I like how they include all the time of US team sitting around waiting for scores or their turn rather than actually showing gymnasts from other countries because who cares about them.  USA! USA!

I was surprised to see there were other teams competing.  You wouldn't know it from watching NBC. 

• Love 10
11 minutes ago, Cherpumple said:

I genuinely think the career path is limited to owning a gym and using the power of your name, or coaching (I guess most of the jobs would be at a college level). There's always the one who gets the TV job, but really there likely only is one of those jobs each for a male ex-gymnast and a female ex-gymnast. 

3 minutes ago, Shaynaa said:

Like  I said, no wonder the USA won. they only had to beat China, Aliya, and Ellie Downie. And Flavia. 

• Love 5

I watched the final on the livestream, but watching it back during Primetime I caught a few things I missed before, like the crowd chanting for the team and...for Aly? I couldn't decide if they were actually saying her name or some form of "allez." And then joining in to sing the Star Spangled Banner. And of course, Martha's glee at the end. 

Was it just me, or was that interview with Bob Costas pretty awkward? Bob seemed way off his game. But in other news, Laurie is too cute for words. 

• Love 3
Just now, megwhite said:

The make-up is not that bad, seriously, the sparkles, in the hair, sparkle eyes-shadow in 04' they use to "cake it on with a trowel" look, and the scrunchies, the big bangs the Russian's were sporting in 96' and the "glitter bomb" exploded in the hair  look from 2000 on, even it has evolved into a Women's sport, not a little girl's sports.

Ah, the sparkly eyeshadow. And OH GOD THE SCRUNCHIES. Shannon Miller's was the size of her head. This year the women seem to like the cheerleader-style bows in their hair, Madison and Simone both wear those. The sloppy ponytails of 2012 are gone. 

I liked Gabby's lipstick for the team final, it looked beautiful on her. The other US women seem to favor the scaled-down look, which is fine, too. 

22 minutes ago, Cherpumple said:

It means they can accept sponsorships and endorsements. And they can't be on an NCAA team. Like, Simone is in all those commercials for Tide and Kellogg's. An NCAA, or amateur gymnast can't do that without losing their amateur status. 

I loved this team, I think they're so cute. And I'm really looking forward to the individual all-around and event finals. I hope Simone and Aly go 1-2 in the all-around and I really cannot wait for the bars showdown between Aliya and Madison. 

• Love 7

I hated Bob Costas asking Simone if it was weird that she's considered the best gymnast ever with the other girls sitting there.  Especially Gabby.  So awkward and puts them all on the spot.  What did he expect her (or anyone else) to say? 

The "Final Five" stuff was corny I admit, but it was sweet that it's really a tribute to Marta.  

I'm sure Gabby was disappointed at not being in the AA, but I bet she was also relieved that all she had to focus on was the uneven bars.  Which she nailed, btw.

Laurie is too precious.  Someone referred to her as the human emoji and now I can't stop seeing that.  Bubbly and cheerful, but legit has the talent to back it up.  

Although US winning was basically a foregone conclusion, I was really impressed with the choreography from the Chinese gymnasts.  Much more fluid and graceful.  Every time one of the Americans would "dance" during their routine, I would just cringe.  So robotic and forced.  

This coverage is still terrible.  Instead of some actual gymnastics, let's see Ellie Downes' injury again!  And a few minutes from Flavia...and that's it.  

• Love 4
5 minutes ago, Jillibean said:

Was it just me, or was that interview with Bob Costas pretty awkward? Bob seemed way off his game. But in other news, Laurie is too cute for words. 

Bob was totally awkward. I told my friend it was good of the girls to humor him. I was a giggly fool watching them, though.

• Love 3
15 minutes ago, Kromm said:

I'm sorry if it was supposed to be touching, but that "We are the final five" thing was kinda too shrill to touch my cold dead heart.

I didn't get it until the annoncer explained it was tied to the retirement of Martha Karolyi.  Up until then I was trying to decide if it was kind of a smug no one will be better than us or a stupid play off the Fast and Furious or Final Destination film franchises. 

So I'm kind of dense, apparently.

1 hour ago, ExplainItAgain said:

Those patriotic USA leos cost $1200 each!

And then they use safety pins to stick those ugly paper numbers on the back ... you'd think they could make that more streamlined. It just ruins the look. (yeah, I'm shallow)

• Love 4

I think everyone expected the U.S. to win and dominate the competition, but I'll admit that I teared up when the "Final Five" won gold. I really love this team and it was nice to see them triumph in the Olympics especially Gabby and Aly who came back for the second time. I can't wait to see the individual events and I hope that each one of them is able to win a medal.

• Love 8

As for the pricey leos, my understanding from figure skating is that the bedazzling process, or whatever you call it when it's actual fashion done by professionals, is very expensive. 

Edited by Jillibean
  • Love 2
46 minutes ago, Shaynaa said:

I know, right? I didn't have a chance to watch the live Stream today, so I would have loved to see how Russia was able move up to win the Silver. But, nope. Let's watch the US women wait for their scores. SMH.

I do feel sorry for the Chinese. Their country will not be happy that the men and women won the bronze. Anything less than gold is unacceptable. 

24 minutes ago, Amethyst said:

Laurie is too precious.  Someone referred to her as the human emoji and now I can't stop seeing that.  Bubbly and cheerful, but legit has the talent to back it up.  

I agree. She's already a beautiful young woman at 17. And she seems so likable. 

• Love 4
59 minutes ago, Shaynaa said:

I did actually crack up when the announcer said something that translated, to my ears, as 'are they saying something important, no just chattering like teenage girls.'  

It was sweet that Aly paused to hug those three gymnasts who were apparently just waiting for one person to get up the nerve to ask.

• Love 7
1 hour ago, Aliconehead said:

Yes i understand where the name came from, I just don't like it. 

I don't blame you. Right now these girls can't do any wrong in my eyes. After seeing all the ridiculous showboating and drama of swimming it was so refreshing to see a group of women go out there and do their best without rubbing it in anyone's faces. Even after such a big lead, they kept on doing well without much celebration until the end. They are terrific role models.

• Love 4
11 minutes ago, topanga said:

I do feel sorry for the Chinese. Their country will not be happy that the men and women won the bronze. Anything less than gold is unacceptable. 

The Chinese are demanding but they aren't delusional. They knew going into this that the US were massive favorites (and that the Russians are pretty damn good too). 

• Love 2

I was happy to see USA's women gymnastics team win the gold tonight. Congrats to them. The ladies stayed poised throughout everything and I continue to be impressed by all of them. Especially Simone. I look forward to watching them perform in the all around competition. I also wish we could have seen more footage of the other teams competing. I like watching other teams as well.

Edited by Jx223
  • Love 4