Type keyword(s) to search

Artistic Gymnastics: Stick the Landing!

I don't get MAG scoring. I don't get how Whitlock got a low score on rings. 

also. I think Pommels is my 2nd favourite MAG event. I don't understand it AT ALL, but it's so beautiful to watch. It's like the male version of the balance beam. 

Hello you sexy Swiss Man. (who is probably like a decade younger than me so now i feel pervy). 

• Love 1

Dang it! My NBC app is acting up. 

So I'll have to get the play-by-play from you guys. 

Someone upthread asked about the possibility of women doing pommel horse and other types of gymnastics It would be difficult (though not impossible) because female gymnasts tend have smaller hands than men. The other argument is that because a woman's center of gravity is in her pelvis (and not in her chest, like a man's is), it would be harder for her to swing her hips around the horse. But this same argument was made for women pole vaulters--that we'd never be able to do it because of our center of gravity. And we rock the pole vault. (Not that I'm a pole vaulter or anything). 

Edited by topanga
  • Love 3
6 minutes ago, Daisy said:

I don't get MAG scoring. I don't get how Whitlock got a low score on rings. 

also. I think Pommels is my 2nd favourite MAG event. I don't understand it AT ALL, but it's so beautiful to watch. It's like the male version of the balance beam. 

Hello you sexy Swiss Man. (who is probably like a decade younger than me so now i feel pervy). 

Whitlock was overscored. He had fewer strength elements than the top rings workers. The commentators thought he should have scored low-14s. 

• Love 1
1 minute ago, Sew Sumi said:

Whitlock was overscored. He had fewer strength elements than the top rings workers. The commentators thought he should have scored low-14s. 

Thanks, Sew Sumi :) (see, I told you I didn't know ;) ) 

Are they kidding me about the Gabby thing? It's as if they are nitpicking now since the gymnasts were drama free this year. Plenty of players in the NBA, NFL, MLB, etc. don't put their hands over their heart. Who the fuck cares? Get a life Twitter idiots. Another reason why social media sucks major ass. 

I like how friendly the men gymnasts are to each other. Im surprised that they aren't showing Sam or Chris on the live feed, but enjoying everyone else.

I wonder if the men tire out more than the females (and are more sloppy at the end) because they do 6 nstead of 4 events. How exhausting!

Hello, smoking hot Marcel.

Edited by twoods
Forgot parallel bars!
  • Love 8
Just now, PoshSprinkles said:

Is Manrique hurt? He scratched on parallel bars. 

is he from Cuba? (if so, then probably, because he crashed on vault). 
Kohei owned those rings, with a stuck landing too. 

1 minute ago, PoshSprinkles said:

@Daisy Yes, he's from Cuba. Too bad. 

Okay, eff these rings judges, seriously. The best you can give is a 14.733 to the king?????

The same as Whitlock's routine? I'm telling you, those ring judges are on SOMETHING! 

• Love 1
2 minutes ago, twoods said:

I wonder if the men tire out more than the females (and are more sloppy at the end) because they do 5 instead of 4 events. How exhausting!

The men do six events (floor exercise, high bar, parallel bars, pommel horse, rings, and vault).  As you say, it's quite exhausting, mainly because it requires so much upper-body and core strength as well as stamina.

• Love 3

I feel bad for Gabby. She has gotten so much negativity over such a wide variety of things, both those within her control and those outside her control. I highly doubt she intended disrespect during the ceremony, so I don't see the point of lambasting her for it. She'll remember for next time, but she also likely would have remembered it for next time if people had brought it to her attention in a kind or respectful way, or even a questioning way. Instead, an uncomfortable number of people jump to a place of "how dare she," as though she's sitting in her room at night plotting ways to slight her country.  You have to wonder if the outrage would be this potent if it had been someone other than Gabby Douglas, who seems to be a magnet for social media fury. 

ETA: Sam landed his vault on his knees. I mean, at least he's consistent.

Edited by Jillibean
  • Love 18
3 minutes ago, legaleagle53 said:

The men do six events (floor exercise, high bar, parallel bars, pommel horse, rings, and vault).  As you say, it's quite exhausting, mainly because it requires so much upper-body and core strength as well as stamina.

Yikes I forgot about parallel bars. Thanks.

What is up with the low scoring for the high bar?

• Love 1

Maybe USA gymnastics will finally stop having Sam be the face of MAG he is so overrated. I would tell him should visit Simone's sports psychologist she's been unbeaten since apparently he worked with the men's 2012 gymnastics team so clearly that didn't even work. 

• Love 2

Thank you PoshSprinkles. Everyone just seems so low today, especially after seeing the US women yesterday continuously getting 15's. 

Who was that Brazilian guy? Very cute, and seemed like he was having fun.

grr. see. Kyle. and Brenda. this is where you'd go when you say "it was sad that Switzerland finished 9th... because Ukraine decided to throw the match. i wonder what it was like for them to know that. i think that's wrong"

Wow. that German guy was going for the  first ever move but totally bit it. :( I guess he has to wait until worlds now 

• Love 4

Wow that would have been amazing if the German held on. Ridiculous move. 

The Swiss guys are doing well. Too bad they didn't get a chance to shine during the team event.

Edited by twoods
  • Love 2
1 minute ago, Cherpumple said:

Can I be shallow for a moment and say that Kohei Uchimura is a beautiful man? I don't know why, but I can't stop looking at his face. It's so striking!

Be shallow. It's totally okay. 

• Love 4
3 minutes ago, Cherpumple said:

Can I be shallow for a moment and say that Kohei Uchimura is a beautiful man? I don't know why, but I can't stop looking at his face. It's so striking!

Feel free to post his image in the Hot Athletes thread. :D

1 hour ago, AuntieDiane6 said:

Mary Lou Retton earned $10 million.  Tours, books (her autobiography, written for children), endorsements (Wheaties, bowling centers--yes, I remember those ads), TV appearances, dolls, gym apparel, camps ... 

A lot of former gymnasts seem like they do well for themselves. Nastia is certainly one of the better examples but even more relatively unknown gymnasts (unknown outside of fans of the sport) like Betty Okino, Amanda Borden, Dominique Dawes--they all seem like they've been able to use their gymnastics to lead to other opportunities. 

47 minutes ago, Daisy said:

2000 Al tried to make it be "Super Six." 

I recall commentators saying the Sydney Six and am wondering if anyone else remembers this. I can't recall if 2004 had a nickname and am curious. 

Speaking of Sydney--

Did somebody curse the vault again? I am not seeing good form over there. 

Am I correct in thinking that Sydney was the year that something was up with the height of the vault or something like that and it resulted in several gymnasts blowing their attempts?

• Love 1
1 hour ago, walnutqueen said:

If hand to heart during the anthem was the yardstick, most of the country would be deported to Canada!  ;-)

What if Canada doesn't want us?

Poor Gabby.  Some people have way to much time on their hands.  They will look for anything to criticize.

I loved watching the USA women gymnasts, but I wanted to see the other teams to.  NBC sucks.

• Love 7
1 minute ago, Avaleigh said:

A lot of former gymnasts seem like they do well for themselves. Nastia is certainly one of the better examples but even more relatively unknown gymnasts (unknown outside of fans of the sport) like Betty Okino, Amanda Borden, Dominique Dawes--they all seem like they've been able to use their gymnastics to lead to other opportunities. 

I recall commentators saying the Sydney Six and am wondering if anyone else remembers this. I can't recall if 2004 had a nickname and am curious. 

Speaking of Sydney--

Am I correct in thinking that Sydney was the year that something was up with the height of the vault or something like that and it resulted in several gymnasts blowing their attempts?

I don't remember Sidney Six. but then i was 16 and my memory is old. 
and ye. that was the infamous low vault :(

Chris Brooks was a great high bar set. 

6 minutes ago, Sew Sumi said:

Too little, too late. Story of his life; he turns it on when all the pressure is off. 

At least that put him in the Top Ten.

Chris Brooks on the other hand just passed Kato for 4th.  However he ends on Pommel so...

• Love 1
Just now, kittykat said:

At least that put him in the Top Ten.

Chris Brooks on the other hand just passed Kato for 4th.  However he ends on Pommel so...

Sam is now 11th after Chaopan's parallel bar score. I don't want the Chinese men to medal #TearsofNoMedal. Luckily he's got High Bar and Floor next. Not good events. 

Verniaiev better not win this. I'l be pissed and he'll be the most undeserved gold medalist ever!

• Love 3
1 minute ago, Cherpumple said:

Gah! I hate watching the men do a flip and land on their triceps on the parallel bars. It makes my arms hurt just looking at it!

It's not my arms that ache from watching it, it's my shoulder joints!

• Love 2