Type keyword(s) to search

Commercials That Annoy, Irritate or Outright Enrage

• Start Topic

On 8/4/2023 at 2:11 AM, millennium said:

But evidently not by any hair stylists.

(Balance of Nature)

Like this woman, who is clearly doing a bad dye job on her hair, and additionally, hasn't figured out that this "hair style" just accentuates how much her hair is thinning. (Check out near the end when she's wiping down the table with "all the extra energy" she has)

https://www.ispot.tv/ad/1c3p/balance-of-nature-family-mountain-trip-25-off-and-free-travel-set

• LOL 4
2 minutes ago, dleighg said:

(Balance of Nature)

Like this woman, who is clearly doing a bad dye job on her hair, and additionally, hasn't figured out that this "hair style" just accentuates how much her hair is thinning. (Check out near the end when she's wiping down the table with "all the extra energy" she has)

https://www.ispot.tv/ad/1c3p/balance-of-nature-family-mountain-trip-25-off-and-free-travel-set

It seems like everyday there's a new commercial for Balance of Nature featuring someone who's been taking it for as long as a quarter of a century. While I think this is such BS that I'd like to order it and be able to debunk their claims this stuff is too expensive to waste money on.

And quite frankly I'd be afraid of the side effects. Taking all kinds of ground up fruits and vegetables packed into a capsule makes me think of all kinds of gastric backlash 

• Like 5
  • Applause 1
19 minutes ago, tres bien said:

Taking all kinds of ground up fruits and vegetables packed into a capsule makes me think of all kinds of gastric backlash 

Who knows what else is in there?  I looked at the ingredients and I'm like, what's "soylentia greenus?"  It sounds plant-based but I'm not so sure.

• Like 1
  • Mind Blown 1
  • Applause 1
  • LOL 9
On 8/5/2023 at 5:49 PM, DXD526 said:

What I don't understand is, I've never been in a Dollar Tree where at least half the candy section wasn't Haribo crap. Where do they get the money to show their commercials constantly when they're a dollar store darling? 

Well I mean, the Dollar Tree can be expensive, relatively speaking. The $1 package of gummy bears will be something like one ounce, but the $3 package you get at a regular store will be like 8 oz, so the Dollar Tree actually costs over twice as much per ounce, so people have to be careful if they're looking for actual deals. I'm not saying that Haribo pays for its commercials primarily off dollar store profits, I just mean that just because people only pay a dollar doesn't mean the company isn't still making plenty of money. (Also, I made those numbers up now as an example, so don't quote me!)

On 8/4/2023 at 5:56 AM, Prevailing Wind said:

You know that guy who runs his dishwasher every day? We've had discussions about the amount of dirty dishes after his "light snack" (which I'm too lazy to go back & look for to quote) but I wasn't watching, I was only listening a few days ago and I swear he said, "BIG snack."  When it came on again, I paid attention - he does say "big," not "light."  So, while the commercial is still stupid and annoying, the amount of dishes after his snack isn't all that egregious as we once thought.

Isn't a "big" snack just a meal? I guess you call it a "big snack" when you don't want to admit you made a meal out of whatever it was you were "snacking" on.

• Like 5
  • LOL 1
13 hours ago, Prevailing Wind said:

The one I heard was a white, southern American - probably the demographic for the commercials. Charmin was about 7 at the time.

There are people who named their kid Velveeta, so why not Charmin.  At least when she reaches teen years her father can warm her dates, "Please don't squeeze the Charmin."

• LOL 12

Yeah, that hairstyle may have served her well in her youth, but it's not doing her any favors now. Wow, I wish I had the energy to wipe down a table with such vigor!

• Like 1
  • LOL 5
25 minutes ago, proserpina65 said:

I'm sick and tired of all Barbie tie-in commercials, but especially the stupid Progressive one in front of her stupid Dream House.

Our local noon newscast had all the on air personnel wearing pink the Friday before last.  Were they being paid to advertise the movie?

• Like 4
  • Applause 2

Canadian here. The commercial warning us that social media will be banning Canadian news and to scan the QR code on the tv to download "your favourite news app."

If i want to download my fave app i can just go to the google playstore. I don't need your QR code.

• Like 5
53 minutes ago, greekmom said:

If i want to download my fave app i can just go to the google playstore. I don't need your QR code

You may not need the QR code, but THEY want to get quantifiable clicks to their website.  If they get your email, it's the holy grail.

• Like 4
  • Useful 1
21 hours ago, proserpina65 said:

I'm sick and tired of all Barbie tie-in commercials, but especially the stupid Progressive one in front of her stupid Dream House.

I ken not tell you how tired I am of that commercial!

• Like 5
  • LOL 10
On 8/7/2023 at 3:13 PM, Tom Holmberg said:

Our local noon newscast had all the on air personnel wearing pink the Friday before last.  Were they being paid to advertise the movie?

Everybody's getting into the Barbie dealio... (not a political post - it's satire on Barbie)

362286830_1916017245443957_6629563475374174114_n.jpg

• Like 3
  • LOL 20
On 8/5/2023 at 4:26 PM, MerBearHou said:

I cannot get to the remote quickly enough to hit Mute when that Haribo gummy bear commercial comes on when the adults talk like little kids.  I hate it with a passion and it plays SO OFTEN every day, seemingly every channel. 

Muting is not nearly enough.   Because it's their faces too, especially that one guy with the big plastic grin who's so INTO it that I just want to kill him.

• Like 3
  • LOL 4
4 minutes ago, littlebennysmom said:

Oak Street Health, no mas with the cranky old lady complaining about everything -- dealing with Medicare, how doctors talk to her, some poor guy's cats, etc, etc.

Ok, I promise I'll behave from now on! 😇

• LOL 4

What cracks me up about Oak Street Health is the woman pretending to knit. Even June Cleaver was really knitting on Leave It to Beaver. And the guy with the cats - if I'm not looking at the tv I think my cat is complaining about something. 😅

• Like 4
  • LOL 1
6 minutes ago, chessiegal said:

What cracks me up about Oak Street Health is the woman pretending to knit. Even June Cleaver was really knitting on Leave It to Beaver. And the guy with the cats - if I'm not looking at the tv I think my cat is complaining about something. 😅

Maybe they're not really his cats.

• LOL 7
14 hours ago, chessiegal said:

What cracks me up about Oak Street Health is the woman pretending to knit. Even June Cleaver was really knitting on Leave It to Beaver.

On Virgin River there is a "knitting group" of 4 women who meet to gossip.  Only 1 of the 4 actresses even knows how to hold the needles.  You'd think the other 3 would ask her how to make it look right.  It annoys me.

• Like 5

Why are ambulance-chaser law firms allowed to claim that 'baby powder' can cause cancer? Why don't the ads use 'talcum powder' instead, since it's the talc that is associated with cancer? Also, I'd love to know how somebody proves that their grandma used a specific brand of  'baby powder' 20 years ago, and it definitely caused her death.

• Like 5

US Money Reserve (or any company selling gold coins) - they use fear mongering techniques to convince people that the end is near and your paper money will be worthless. One today had a woman comparing paper money to monopoly money. What of bunch of hooey.

• Like 4
  • Sad 2
  • Applause 1

a while ago it was a company selling freeze dried food that can last 20 years. Somehow if things are that bad, do you think you've got enough good water to rehydrate that food? And you better be fortified like Will Smith in "I Am Legend."

• Like 5
20 minutes ago, chessiegal said:

US Money Reserve (or any company selling gold coins) - they use fear mongering techniques to convince people that the end is near and your paper money will be worthless. One today had a woman comparing paper money to monopoly money. What of bunch of hooey.

Doesn't Chuck Woolery do ads for those kinds of companies? That should be a red flag to anyone watching right there that they're full of bunk, considering he's a) a game show host, and b) tried to downplay and dismiss the seriousness of Covid. Not exactly someone I'm going to look to for any sort of financial advice. 

• Like 8
2 hours ago, sempervivum said:

Why are ambulance-chaser law firms allowed to claim that 'baby powder' can cause cancer? Why don't the ads use 'talcum powder' instead, since it's the talc that is associated with cancer? Also, I'd love to know how somebody proves that their grandma used a specific brand of  'baby powder' 20 years ago, and it definitely caused her death.

Because Johnson and Johnson has paid out millions in claims?

• Like 7
On 8/6/2023 at 11:04 AM, chessiegal said:

Homeaglow - we'll clean your entire house for $19. I know it's been mentioned before, but it airs so often I want to complain about it again. If you're only listening, you don't see it's an introductory offer. Do my laundry? No thanks. I'm particular about laundry and would never trust a cleaning service to do it. I've used a cleaning service for over 30 years. I don't know what their real price is after the introductory offer and am so annoyed by the ad I won't even check them out.

All the cleaners they show look like a bunch of high school students. Or maybe I'm just old. 

• LOL 5

There's a new iPhone commercial I find particularly annoying which features a woman at her son's track meet competition who runs along the sidelines recording his race and keeping pace with him. For starters, the "music" in the commercial is garbage, secondly, the woman following her running son is shoving people out of the way and being a boar, and lastly, how the hell is she keeping pace with him? 

8 hours ago, xls said:

The song on this commercial is so fucking annoying especially that horn part! Aggggggggh 

Yeah, the music sucks and the cheap bicycle horn doesn't help.

• Like 3
  • Mind Blown 1
17 hours ago, peacheslatour said:

Because Johnson and Johnson has paid out millions in claims?

I think maybe the objection was using the term "baby powder" as opposed to "talcum powder" because there are other products which use talc, such as Shower to Shower, and not all baby powders do.  (Many use cornstarch, for example.)

Has J&J actually paid out any of the claims?  I know there have been awards but was under the impression that J&J was still appealing them.

13 hours ago, xls said:

The song on this commercial is so fking annoying especially that horn part! Aggggggggh 

I just saw this for the first time yesterday and wanted to throw something through my tv.  Do annoying ass commercials actually sell products?  (Other than tvs we've ruined by throwing things at them?)

13 hours ago, Stevie Nicks said:

All the cleaners they show look like a bunch of high school students. Or maybe I'm just old. 

I just discovered that I'm older than 3 of the 4 Golden Girls were when the show started.  Argh!!!!!

• Mind Blown 1
  • LOL 9

Has J&J actually paid out any of the claims?  I know there have been awards but was under the impression that J&J was still appealing them.

In April 2023, Johnson & Johnson offered a $8.9 billion talcum powder lawsuit settlement to thousands of people that claimed the company's talcum powder caused them to develop ovarian cancer and mesothelioma. Courts have also awarded billions of dollars in talcum powder lawsuit verdicts.

• Useful 6
11 minutes ago, peacheslatour said:

In April 2023, Johnson & Johnson offered a $8.9 billion talcum powder lawsuit settlement to thousands of people that claimed the company's talcum powder caused them to develop ovarian cancer and mesothelioma. Courts have also awarded billions of dollars in talcum powder lawsuit verdicts.

Thanks, I obviously missed that.

• Like 3

Yes, I admit to being an old codger.  But is it really too much to ask that a company sponsoring national commercials at least learn to use spell-check?  Downy “Unstopables” is a visual nails on the blackboard sensation - it makes me want to scream and wonder if ANYONE who worked on that commercial graduated from the sixth grade!

• Like 9
  • Mind Blown 1

I bought a bottle of Pooph. I think there were 3 choices. I got the one for litter boxes. It works, but I'm not sure it's any better than one of the Febreze products. I don't care what they say about using it on pets, I would never do that.

• Like 6
On 8/13/2023 at 3:52 PM, chessiegal said:

Do that many people still stuff paper bills in their mattresses?

• LOL 2
4 hours ago, Bruinsfan said:

Every year surveys indicate far too many people do indeed, either literally or otherwise stashing away cash -- it's not unusual to get a yes from up to 50% of respondents.

• Like 2
  • Useful 4
12 hours ago, OldStandard said:

Yes, I admit to being an old codger.  But is it really too much to ask that a company sponsoring national commercials at least learn to use spell-check?  Downy “Unstopables” is a visual nails on the blackboard sensation - it makes me want to scream and wonder if ANYONE who worked on that commercial graduated from the sixth grade!

Is it spelled that way for effect, much like "Kuntry Kitchen Buffet"??

• Like 1
  • LOL 2
10 hours ago, Bruinsfan said:

According to US Money Reserve, if you do, you're wasting your time. When the end times come, that paper money will be worthless, and you'll need gold coins to pay for your needs. I find it ironic that they are more than happy to take your worthless paper money to buy their coins.

• Like 2
  • LOL 10

The commercial about getting your kid off their cell phone.

Que sad music, parent sitting at the table during what looks like breakfast, teen girl is staring at her phone screen. You can't see the mom's face, but the voiceover is saying, "You've talked and talked (asked, pleaded) but still they won't get off their phone." Clearly the narrator is getting across the fact that parent is very concerned. Dad walks up and gives girl juice and then sits down at the table, teen doesn't acknowledge him and continues to stare at screen.

Sheesh!  Who is in control here? Especial at the table, you ask/tell once, then take the phone away. Who is paying for the damned phone? Not the kid who looks to be maybe 14-15, if that.

How about actually parenting, then you won't need to join/contribute to some organization dedicated to getting kids off phones.

OK, I am old but I cannot imagine ignoring my parents rules/requests/orders that way ... and if I had there would be consequences.   I guess there are none in this particular family, hence the problem.

• Like 13
  • Applause 3
  • Love 1
19 hours ago, debbie311 said:

The commercial about getting your kid off their cell phone.

Que sad music, parent sitting at the table during what looks like breakfast, teen girl is staring at her phone screen. You can't see the mom's face, but the voiceover is saying, "You've talked and talked (asked, pleaded) but still they won't get off their phone." Clearly the narrator is getting across the fact that parent is very concerned. Dad walks up and gives girl juice and then sits down at the table, teen doesn't acknowledge him and continues to stare at screen.

Sheesh!  Who is in control here? Especial at the table, you ask/tell once, then take the phone away. Who is paying for the damned phone? Not the kid who looks to be maybe 14-15, if that.

How about actually parenting, then you won't need to join/contribute to some organization dedicated to getting kids off phones.

OK, I am old but I cannot imagine ignoring my parents rules/requests/orders that way ... and if I had there would be consequences.   I guess there are none in this particular family, hence the problem.

Every time I see one of these commercials, I tell the screen that clearly they haven't done everything because they haven't taken the phone away from her.

• Like 5
  • Applause 1
1 hour ago, proserpina65 said:

Every time I see one of these commercials, I tell the screen that clearly they haven't done everything because they haven't taken the phone away from her.

Somebody should make a horror movie called Screens. It would be terrifying.

• LOL 10