Type keyword(s) to search

Commercials That Annoy, Irritate or Outright Enrage

Message added by PrincessPurrsALot,

Key rules:  Stay on topic; go to Small Talk with things not about commercials; be civil; no politics. 

• Start Topic

Why do they need to do anything with them? I assume that they will just stop buying the period pads once they discover these marvelous pee pads, right?  I mean, no one is going to buy pads just to create some embarrassing "crafts".

I know.  Just use up the ones you have and then switch to Poise.

Absolutely.  But I swear I heard "recycle" rather than repurpose. Guess I was so icked out I couldn't hear it. Still a horrible ad.

They do say "recycle."  What they mean is "repurpose."

• Love 2

Have y'all seen the new Honey Maid graham cracker commercial? There's a family walking down the street and the lady says "We're a mixed family..." (she's black, her husband is white). I start paying closer attention, wondering what the ad was for, and they show a box of Honey Maid. "WTF does being a mixed family have to do with graham crackers?!" you ask? I did too...then they reveal the chocolate and vanilla flavors they're selling. BOOOOOOOOOO!!!!

Just to play devil's advocate for a moment, I'm pretty sure Honey Maid, a while back, maybe a year or two, caught some flack from some hateful groups about a previous ad of theirs that showed diverse families of a few varieties. And their reply was another ad basically calling out the hateful folk for being hateful and how they're all about the love and won't change cuz of hateful folks cuz that ain't cool. And it was actually kind of moving.

So, while I agree that going the mixed-family v chocolate and vanilla route is kinda tacky, Honey Maid has some major built up cred with me on the diversity of humans in their ads front.

• Love 6

My late mother, born in 1916, said they didn't have disposable pads when she was in her teens - they used special-purpose cloths that had to be WASHED and re-used.  She referred to them as rags, which is where, I suppose, the phrase "on the rag" came from.  She also told me that the phrase 'fell off the roof' was a euphemism for getting your period, which she wasn't aware of at first.  When she was told Mary Follmer fell off the roof last night, she was worried that her friend was injured...and then she was soundly mocked for not knowing the euphemism.  Girls have been mean to each other for a very long time.

• Love 4

Pads/tampons are things that many women stock up on, so I can see having more on hand than you want to use up before switching to something else if you've found something different you want to use instead.  (Or if you've hit menopause; I used to run the legal clinic of a DV shelter, and was based in the business office of the organization running the shelter, and the person who took care of the donated items brought in got a real kick out of all the women who'd come in with several boxes of pads or tampons to donate, gleefully saying, "I finally don't need these things anymore -- take them!")   Especially among women using them (presumably) daily for bladder leakage rather than monthly for periods. 

But the basic "what to do with your period pads" backdrop of the "switch to Poise pads" pitch is just SO odd to me; it seems predicated on the fear that if women aren't reminded they can find other uses for their pads, they won't start buying Poise pads.  Which is dumb.  Because women who've been using regular pads for incontinence and now want to use Poise instead will either a) use up what they have and then switch (a minor delay in getting their business), b) continue to use the regular pads for their periods (if they still get them, and use pads for them) and use Poise for incontinence ... or, even better for Poise, use the bladder pads for everything, or c) donate the pads.  Any woman with two brain cells to rub together will figure out something to do with pads she no longer wants.  So I just cannot believe this is their chosen storyline for a "switch to Poise" ad.  Show the difference in absorbency and move on.

Edited by Bastet
  • Love 5

I don't know if it's just in my area, but I keep seeing this commercial for Frank's Red Hot sauce. It features an elderly lady on the set of a hip hop video. "I could teach you girls something," she says to the backup dancers. "Why do you think you could teach us?" one snorts.

"Frank's Red Hot. I put that sh*t on everything!" Cut to a shot of the woman and the backup dancers twerking.

In the same commercial break, sometimes directly after that ad comes another ad where the woman is schooling young guy on how she gets so many matches via online dating, repeating the tag line.

It's so obnoxious  Like, rage-making. 

• Love 3

I mean, no one is going to buy pads just to create some embarrassing "crafts".

It's a shame Regretsy (Etsy snarking) took down the entire site when it stopped updating, because - yes, somewhere out there, someone has.

• Love 2

My late mother, born in 1916, said they didn't have disposable pads when she was in her teens - they used special-purpose cloths that had to be WASHED and re-used.  She referred to them as rags, which is where, I suppose, the phrase "on the rag" came from.  She also told me that the phrase 'fell off the roof' was a euphemism for getting your period, which she wasn't aware of at first.  When she was told Mary Follmer fell off the roof last night, she was worried that her friend was injured...and then she was soundly mocked for not knowing the euphemism.  Girls have been mean to each other for a very long time.

We must be related!  Falling off the roof was a big hit in my household, and my mom (born in 1929) had to use washable cotton/linen things that SHE called rags, too.

• Love 2

All right, I'm just going to say it. I don't normally mind the USAA (insurance for military personnel) commercials overall, even though I'm not one that thinks that all other careers and occupations pale in comparison to serving in the military. However, the current commercial is awful. Little kids (6-7 years old probably) saying things like "Thanks Mom, for protecting my future" and "Thanks for being a sailor and my dad." No kid in the entire history of kid-dom has ever talked like that, imho, and I find it hard to believe that protecting their future is a hot topic on the elementary school playground. It just grates every time I see it.

• Love 9
My late mother, born in 1916, said they didn't have disposable pads when she was in her teens - they used special-purpose cloths that had to be WASHED and re-used.

On Extreme Cheapskates (which, for some reason, I am obsessed with), there are people who use rags as toilet paper. They toss them in a basket next to the toilet and wash them later. Because, you know, savings...

• Love 1

On Extreme Cheapskates (which, for some reason, I am obsessed with), there are people who use rags as toilet paper. They toss them in a basket next to the toilet and wash them later. Because, you know, savings...

Because water and detergent are free? Ugh. People. Edited by theatremouse
  • Love 5

Haha--yeah, I just don't know... I am the last person to preach about being sensibly frugal regarding everyday expenses (I try, but if I need it, I buy it and go on with my life!), but these people, ironically, tend to seem "penny wise and pound foolish." 

Edited by TattleTeeny
  • Love 1

I've also heard that there are small companies who make washable cloth pads(affixed with Velcro or snaps)for the ecologically minded.

Yep. The cloth pads are definitely more for people who have concerns about the environmental impact of all those disposable pads and tampons, not for the frugal-minded folks. Reusable pads are crazy expensive. I even tried making them myself and they didn't work as well and cost about as much. Material is expensive.

Yep. The cloth pads are definitely more for people who have concerns about the environmental impact of all those disposable pads and tampons, not for the frugal-minded folks. Reusable pads are crazy expensive. I even tried making them myself and they didn't work as well and cost about as much. Material is expensive.

I disagree.  I looked up Luna Pads after someone mentioned them yesterday, and since I only use pads at night, I calculated that it would take me about 4 years to come out even with the cost of disposable ones.  I probably have about 15-20 years left of menstruating left in me, and assuming I wouldn't have to replace them every four years, it would save me 10+ years of buying pads, which are only going to continue to get more expensive.  And even if I did have to replace them every 4 years, I'd feel better about keeping 4 years' worth of pads out of landfills. 

• Love 2

No, worse. You know how Geico likes to use its spokescharacters over and over? This is a new ad in which people are shouting the original camel's lines at a couple of camels in a zoo. Over and over. It couldn't be more obnoxious if it tried. Well, actually, it is trying and succeeding.

My luck ran out last night, and I finally saw this commercial.  You are not kidding; it is so grating to the ears, it makes the original Hump Day ad seem soothing in comparison.

• Love 2

I disagree.  I looked up Luna Pads after someone mentioned them yesterday, and since I only use pads at night, I calculated that it would take me about 4 years to come out even with the cost of disposable ones.  I probably have about 15-20 years left of menstruating left in me, and assuming I wouldn't have to replace them every four years, it would save me 10+ years of buying pads, which are only going to continue to get more expensive.  And even if I did have to replace them every 4 years, I'd feel better about keeping 4 years' worth of pads out of landfills. 

I was the one who mentioned them :) It is definitely worth it to keep them out of landfills, but it doesn't end up being cheaper. They are like socks. They slowly disappear and every few years you do end up needing to replace them. But I definitely was not suggesting they aren't worth it. Not only are they better for thee vnironment, but they are better for you. The disposable ones are processed with a bunch of chemicals

• Love 1

It's not even Wednesday.

Let it go, Carpe. *snort*   ... :)

Have you seen the one where Mrs. PotatoHead is admonished by Mr. PotatoHead for eating... wait for it.... potato chips? OH the humanity.

And with the abused animals, I just can't take it. If I see one more sad commercial I'm going to open a vein. 

Edited by ari333
  • Love 2

Let it go, Carpe. *snort* ... :)Have you seen the one where Mrs. PotatoHead is admonished by Mr. PotatoHead for eating... wait for it.... potato chips? OH the humanity.

And with the abused animals, I just can't take it. If I see one more sad commercial I'm going to open a vein.

I love the Potato Head commercial. Especially when he goes over to the dark side and starts eating chips.

I was watching a movie last night, changed the channel when the starving, freezing dogs came on and missed half of my show. Hate those things.

Edited by CarpeDiem54

Haha--yeah, I just don't know... I am the last person to preach about being sensibly frugal regarding everyday expenses (I try, but if I need it, I buy it and go on with my life!), but these people, ironically, tend to seem "penny wise and pound foolish." 

The very definition of.  I gag at the thought of reusable toilet paper.

Edited by riley702
  • Love 2

Well, they don't mean recycling like you do used pop cans.  They just mean "use for something other than the intended purpose."

But before I watched the ad just now I thought it was an ad for some service like they have for cloth diapers for babies where they take away your dirty ones and bring back laundered ones.  Which is just fine, in my opinion.

When first read about the ad I was expecting something like this horror. . . 

My problem with the camel/hump day ad is the suggestion that what we see with the yelling at camels is commonplace. 

What zoos do other people go to.  I've seen people try to get the attention of animals but I have never heard anyone yelling "its hump day" at a camel let alone so many who I think actually expect a response of some sorts. 

I think Insurance companies really cannot resist running a general campaign concept into the ground.

• Love 3

I think Insurance companies really cannot resist running a general campaign concept into the ground.

"Did you know Geico has never grasped the concept of 'funny once'?"

"Everybody knows that."

• Love 5

Why do they need to do anything with them? I assume that they will just stop buying the period pads once they discover these marvelous pee pads, right?  I mean, no one is going to buy pads just to create some embarrassing "crafts".

Actually...

Do tell, Ubiquitous!

I love the Potato Head commercial. Especially when he goes over to the dark side and starts eating chips.

I'm still not understanding what Mrs. Potato Head's salacious outfit and the "let's get it on" background music have to do with their closet cannibalism. Reminds me of the Seinfeld episode when George mixed sex and food : "Are you going to eat those french fries?" "No, but please tell me that's all you're going to do with them."

• Love 2

The very definition of.  I gag at the thought of reusable toilet paper.

Yeah, let's see how much dough they save when the whole family in in the hospital for...whatever it is that someone might get from human waste wafting out of a toilet-adjacent  basket. 

• Love 2

I do not approve of having affairs.  But at least if you're meeting someone through Ashley Madison, you don't have to have the pesky problem of either keeping it from the other person that you're married or having to suss out whether or not they'd accept that you're married.

If people are going to cheat, they'll find willing partners somewhere. My ex-brother-in-law found hookers (young enough to be his daughters) on Craigslist, and texted and called them to set up "dates". The idiot didn't think about the fact that my sister gets the cell phone bill.

• Love 3

Seconded. Sadly it's a real site :(. Read about it in a magazine. Rather sick tbh.

What I don't get is - it's got a name that means absolutely nothing at all. The domain-name equivalent of that fake spreadsheet you could hotkey to when you were playing a video game at work, so that someone not in the know would see it in the history and not even be curious enough to click it.

And then they advertise it everywhere, so that everyone knows exactly what it's for.

• Love 1

The new trend in commercials is definitely whistling.  God forbid you have an INTENSE HATRED of whistling, like I do (misophonia)...I'm on my way to developing tendonitis in my thumb from hitting the mute button repeatedly.  If I started to list the commercials, I'd be here all night.  I just don't understand why whistling is the "it" audio these days.  In my opinion, it is a shit audio.  It's kind of like  Target's "Marshmallow World" holiday commercial...we were all saying STFU because it was played at every commercial break.  Well, the whistling is every commercial break -- it's just in a ton of different commercials.

Okay, I'll stop now, because I probably sound nuts.  :/

• Love 4