Type keyword(s) to search

Commercials That Annoy, Irritate or Outright Enrage

Message added by PrincessPurrsALot,

Key rules:  Stay on topic; go to Small Talk with things not about commercials; be civil; no politics. 

• Start Topic

37 minutes ago, mmecorday said:

"Before we had our voice, we had our eyes."

https://www.ispot.tv/ad/A4DZ/allergan-eyepowerment

On the eye subject: Those commercials for Xiidra claiming that it's the first prescription eye drop approved by the FDA to treat dry eye signs and symptoms is more than a bit misleading.  Apparently the difference between Xiidra and Restasis (which has been around for about a decade) is that the latter only treats the signs of dry eye and the underlying disease by increasing tear production, whereas the former also treats the symptoms such as redness and irritation.  (And I guess the alleviation of symptoms happens more quickly as a result.)  Now, what the commercial says isn't actually wrong, but it could be clearer about what it's claiming.

• Love 1

I'm saying they are showing something they would never show with a man, and offering a stupid answer as to what to do if you find your boyfriend and best friend cheating. But if you would find satisfaction in getting an old pair of shoes, perhaps they did their job. My mileage varies on this one-commercials won't appeal to everyone hence the name of this thread. 

Yeah, we get it: "women love shoes!" However, I could potentially see a reversal on this concept if it was a man walking in on his girlfriend and best friend and the shoes in question were some kind of high-end sports shoes like Air Jordans or expensive Nikes or something like this (obviously I know very little about shoes but you get the picture). 

• Love 5
17 hours ago, Drogo said:

Those weren't used shoes. The best friend's original shoes were laying by the door. The shoes she took as restitution were brand new; there was a DSW shoebox open next to the bed. 

I think the commercial is fun. She realizes her friend and her guy are scum, stays composed and makes the best of a bad situation.  Like a boss.

Overheard conversation:

"I'm not feeling well today. I think I might be getting sick."

"Do you need new shoes? New shoes always make me feel better."

I kid you not.

• Love 4
On March 14, 2017 at 2:44 PM, iMonrey said:

And that commercial doesn't even make sense. She changed her husband because she kept changing his food brands and he didn't notice? I'm pretty sure he'll notice she changed husbands. Do they sell new husbands at Aldi's?

It's disappointing because one of their earlier commercials about the singles party is hilarious

LOVE that one...with the guy sneaking out at the end...

• Love 1

The Tina Fey American Express ad when she's on the plane keeps changing...there must be three or four versions of it by now.  If it's not working, just stop showing it.  You don't have to keep tweaking it so it's more whimsical or Tina's not so bossy (ironic for a woman who's memoir is Bossy Pants) or the barter is more egalitarian or more comprehensible.  I don't need to keep seeing this reworked.

• Love 3
On ‎3‎/‎12‎/‎2017 at 1:15 PM, Ubiquitous said:

Speaking of annoying things, I keep seeing ads for what I assume to be a local ambulance-chaser who looks like grease is oozing out if his body whose name sounds like "Sha na na". I assume he's local to north Florida, but I thought Morgan & Morgan was local for several years.

I found his ads on YouTube. I guess he's not a local ambulance-chaser, either.

On ‎3‎/‎13‎/‎2017 at 11:36 PM, BabyVegas said:

I've been hating Apple's new ad campaign as of late. I'm never an Apple stan in general, but their new commercials make me even more disinclined to buy their products. Particularly the one where they advertise that your iPad Pro won't get a PC virus. ...Of course it won't. Because it runs on iOS, not Windows. It'll get an iOS virus! Or the commercial about being able to sign documents on your iPad Pro so therefore you don't have to get caught printing documents for your new job at the printer at your old job. Okay, first of all, if you are printing docs like that at your current job, you're either super cocky or reckless. Second of all, most office-quality printers have a hold-print function. Third of all, you know what other tablets allow you to sign documents directly on them without printing? Literally any of them with capable software.

In general I hate Apple's cult-y, overpriced stuff, but this is just so dang stupid.

I thought the woman was printing applications or resumes for a new job, not using their printer to print stuff for her new job.

4 hours ago, Red Bridey said:

The Tina Fey American Express ad when she's on the plane keeps changing...there must be three or four versions of it by now.  If it's not working, just stop showing it.  You don't have to keep tweaking it so it's more whimsical or Tina's not so bossy (ironic for a woman who's memoir is Bossy Pants) or the barter is more egalitarian or more comprehensible.  I don't need to keep seeing this reworked.

I'm not saying the ad is good or anything, but most likely they shot four (or however many) versions from the get-go and always intended to roll out slightly different iterations over time. At least that's the impression I got from people who work in commercials. Most of the time when it's almost the same ad but just a line or two changed, especially when it's comedic, unless there was a brouhaha objecting to the original, they probably filmed them all at once months ago. I doubt it was tweaked later.

• Love 4

This is probably hypocritical since I tend to spout movie lines like it's my job, but I hate that douchenozzle in the AT&T ad.

Anyone who yells "Hodor" at the elevator is going to watch me hit the door close button and that FACE he makes with "and don't call me Shirley?" makes me want to punch him in the esophagus.  He is not endearing, AT&T.

• Love 14

Aldi is starting to advertise in our area. There's a commercial with a woman who is switching out her cereal and other stuff to the Aldi brand and the husband didn't notice. Then she changed husbands. She went from an older husband to a younger one. Another commercial that would have had heads rolling if the gender had been switched. I've yet to set foot in Aldi and this commercial doesn't make me want to visit their stores. 

Aldi is just starting to enter our area. The one I our town is on the other side of the city, so I haven't made it there. Lidl is also entering the area, and there are rumors that Publix and Wegmans are opening stores in our town. 

Aldi is fantastic.  I don't do my major shopping there but go for a lot of specialty items. They have great produce. And prices for everything are much lower than other chains. 

Aldi may be somewhat cheap & OK, but they're nothing special & its basically "meh". I will take Wegmans over Aldi every time. 

It is bad enough that emojis are very popular & all over the place. Now, AT&T & that pointless iPhone 7 are trying to do the same thing with those stupid stickers that I'm seeing in their commercials. What is the point of these stupid stickers for your phone & smacking people with it? If I was minding my own business and some fool runs by & smack one of those stickers on me, that person is going to get a face full of concrete. I've never own an iPhone before (because they & Apple sucks) & this crap is giving me any reason not to ever have one. 

Edited by Magog
  • Love 7

Fellow Night Owls -

One of my default channels that will remain nameless (sounds like "Prude Letjerk") runs horrible, awful spots with animals behind bars or chain-link fences, while Sarah McLaughlin wails mournfully on the soundtrack.

That they're on late at night and seem to run for at least two minutes straight makes it all the worse.  I can't grab the remote fast enough.

BTW, every animal I've had in my lifetime was a rescue, and I work for a vet - but these spots are sheer torture.

• Love 18
10 hours ago, Magog said:

Aldi may be somewhat cheap & OK, but they're nothing special & its basically "meh". I will take Wegmans over Aldi every time. 

The only thing I buy from Aldi's is their sweet potato chips, so I try to be out of there as fast as possible because I feel like a refugee shopping there.

5 hours ago, spiderpig said:

Fellow Night Owls -

One of my default channels that will remain nameless (sounds like "Prude Letjerk") runs horrible, awful spots with animals behind bars or chain-link fences, while Sarah McLaughlin wails mournfully on the soundtrack.

That they're on late at night and seem to run for at least two minutes straight makes it all the worse.  I can't grab the remote fast enough.

BTW, every animal I've had in my lifetime was a rescue, and I work for a vet - but these spots are sheer torture.

Don't feel alone. Literally everyone hates those. Completely ruined In the Arms of an Angel for me.

• Love 11
6 minutes ago, peacheslatour said:

Don't feel alone. Literally everyone hates those. Completely ruined In the Arms of an Angel for me.

The Winter series of these ads are particularly horrible, chained out in the snow, etc. :(

• Love 7
3 minutes ago, Brattinella said:

The Winter series of these ads are particularly horrible, chained out in the snow, etc. :(

Are they really effective ads?  I want to run and pull a pillow over my head.

At one time I had 7 abandoned animals, but there's only so much you can do.

• Love 11
26 minutes ago, spiderpig said:

Are they really effective ads?  I want to run and pull a pillow over my head.

At one time I had 7 abandoned animals, but there's only so much you can do.

I don't really know.  I run to the mute button and avert my eyes.  We only have ever had rescue animals, would not DREAM of buying a pet at the pet store or from a breeder.  Our friend got a pure-bred boxer from the pound, and it was the bestest dog ever. 

• Love 5

Is it irony (?) that the demographic/folks they are aiming for probably reach for the remote or change the channel. People who are not animal lovers are likely not emotional about it and probably would not donate anyway. I hate those ads and now I hate that song. But I love animals.

• Love 11

^^^YesYesYes!  We do what we can and provide loving homes within our means.  But these ads really disturb me.  I'm totally aware of homeless pets and, sad to say, can only do so much.

Man - it makes creepy Burger King Fright Mask cheerful by comparison.

• Love 9
1 minute ago, Brattinella said:

We DO donate, though, I just avoid those horrid images. Our pets are happy.

Since you mention it, one of our doggie commands is "Happy Dog", followed by a big canine grin.

I couldn't live without furry friends.

• Love 11
4 minutes ago, Brattinella said:

We DO donate, though, I just avoid those horrid images. Our pets are happy.

I would donate without having to suffer and cry through those images. I watch tv to get some laughs or escape, not cry. And the dang things seem longer than average ads.

I change the channel; wait a bit and flip back, and it's STILL going.

Edited by ari333
  • Love 10
8 minutes ago, ari333 said:

I would donate without having to suffer and cry through those images. I watch tv to get some laughs or escape, not cry. And the dang things seem longer than average ads.

I change the channel; flip back, and it's STILL going.

What is it about those ads???  If they had commercials running for several minutes about lobster mac and cheese, we'd all be happy.

ETA:  unless we're lobsters.

• Love 11
1 minute ago, spiderpig said:

What is it about those ads???  If they had commercials running for several minutes about lobster mac and cheese, we'd all be happy.

Oh, no. Now I want lobster. :-)

Sometimes when I was hormonal, I would cry at long distance telephone ads. (Back when there were long distance fees to call another US state ) heh. The old days.

The kids today don't know how lucky they are that they can call anyone (almost) at the drop of a hat. (Did I just say, "drop of a hat." ?)[/old]

I know a lot of ads are aimed at very young children. Speaking of which, I saw a kid who looked to be about 4 in a restaurant with his Ipad or something. He threw it, dropped it; he propped open the door with it.  Mom didn't blink. I guess when he breaks it , he just gets a new one. :-)

There are plenty of ads from which to choose heh. I guess I'll go to the "we survived" thread for further rants.

• Love 2
1 minute ago, ari333 said:

Oh, no. Now I want lobster. :-)

Sometimes when I was hormonal, I would cry at long distance telephone ads. (Back when there were long distance fees to call another US state ) heh. The old days.

The kids today don't know how lucky they are that they can call anyone (almost) at the drop of a hat. (Did I just say, "drop of a hat." ?)[/old]

I know a lot of ads are aimed at very young children. Speaking of which, I saw a kid who looked to be about 4 in a restaurant with his Ipad or something. He threw it, dropped it; he propped open the door with it.  Mom didn't blink. I guess when he breaks it , he just gets a new one. :-)

There are plenty of ads from which to choose heh. I guess I'll go to the "we survived" thread for further rants.

You're talking to me, ari333.  We still have a landline just because.  We have an admirable collection of hats. 

Isn't technology fascinating?  I have a notepad in my backpack that I've never bothered to use for a year.

• Love 4
19 minutes ago, spiderpig said:

You're talking to me, ari333.  We still have a landline just because.  We have an admirable collection of hats. 

Isn't technology fascinating?  I have a notepad in my backpack that I've never bothered to use for a year.

*snort giggle*

There are plenty of ads for landlines, though many folks don't have one. We (bf and I) moved to another state. I finally called my parents. (See the family: good , bad, and ugly thread for the WHYS and whatnots) but I called. They have a landline with multiple phones and both parents were on the phone at the time when my dad asked me for my "home number." I said that I didn't have one. I was using a pay phone on purpose. (There was one in the neighborhood and now it's gone. They're all gone btw.) Anyway, I said, "I don't have a landline" and I heard my mother whisper, "She's lying. Everyone has a landline." Um.. no they don't. Thanks. Why did I call. I really did not have a landline as do many, many people..... do.... not. -...have -- [/bad syntax]

I noticed when the ads for cable or internet service air they always try to bundle in a landline for ONLY $11.99! Don't need it. If it were a dollar I may get one. heh

While I'm ranting, I'm kind of sick of yogurt commercials.

Edited by ari333
  • Love 3

We're dinos, ari. Now my beloved iMac, which used to be state of the art, won't host Firefox or Chrome.  I kept up with all updates, but things must have snuck up on us.  I'm relying on my Lenovo laptop and Chrome desktop while I figure out how to download Sierra or El Capitan or Mt Olympus - whatever the latest Mac OS is.

• Love 2
7 minutes ago, spiderpig said:

We're dinos, ari. Now my beloved iMac, which used to be state of the art, won't host Firefox or Chrome.  I kept up with all updates, but things must have snuck up on us.  I'm relying on my Lenovo laptop and Chrome desktop while I figure out how to download Sierra or El Capitan or Mt Olympus - whatever the latest Mac OS is.

Hee.

The commercials make everything look so easy.

I  got a new notebook and tried to get it hooked up/ online.  I had to wait for my bf to come home (he is 20 yrs younger  - I know, I know _-- and he can see the tiny little wifi security thingy on the modem box.) I felt helpless and old.... bc I guess in a way (some ways) I am. *sigh*

The tech support in the commercials are always so nice. Not so much in real life. I heard  a lot of sighing and I thought I heard an eyeroll :-)

Dinos ! We understand each other !

2 minutes ago, spiderpig said:

Going out for our Saturday food run.  Anybody want anything?

I want a lot of things... :-) but I'll take two authentic tacos. (No Taco Bell) And I hate their commercials.

Edited by ari333
  • Love 3

Damn!  You go ari!

I used to be a web editor, and I thought I was in the forefront of technology.  That was 15+ years ago.  In other words, Bronze Age.

At least we still have commercials to keep us entertained and annoyed.

• Love 3

NO YOGURT! or go gurt heh

It's been a long time (and maybe they have resurfaced) but those Burger King ads with that Burger King character at the window with that dude in bed scared the hell out of me. [/imma pussy chicken] It was just so very creepy.

Does anyone here remember a phone commercial some years or so ago in which the wife is on the phone in the foreground in the kitchen and the poor idiot husband (how else are they betrayed, poor guy) the dude was in the background in the living room  all tangled up in the blinds and the wife was oblivious? I want to say "Vonage" but I really cant recall .

• Love 2
46 minutes ago, Silver Raven said:

My virtually blind 88-year-old mother has a land line.  She's afraid of technology.

I love technology, and I still have a landline. I use my cellphone more as a handheld computer than a phone, and I think the quality of a landline is better than a cell. 

And speaking of cellphones: When he was the "Can you hear me now?" guy from Verizon Wireless I thought he was cute, but now that he's Paul from Sprint I think he's a douchebag, and I finally realized why -- it's because he's badmouthing his "ex."  Verizon Wireless did nothing wrong to him, so he looks like a jerk for talking smack. It really bugs me.

There's an Aldi in my neighborhood. I can't get everything I need there, but the prices are great for the things I do get. I like that they have different brands and less of a choice. 

• Love 19
23 minutes ago, SmithW6079 said:

And speaking of cellphones: When he was the "Can you hear me now?" guy from Verizon Wireless I thought he was cute, but now that he's Paul from Sprint I think he's a douchebag, and I finally realized why -- it's because he's badmouthing his "ex."  Verizon Wireless did nothing wrong to him, so he looks like a jerk for talking smack. It really bugs me.

I agree.  That's a good way to describe him.

Edited by Ohwell
  • Love 2
6 hours ago, ari333 said:

Does anyone here remember a phone commercial some years or so ago in which the wife is on the phone in the foreground in the kitchen and the poor idiot husband (how else are they betrayed, poor guy) the dude was in the background in the living room  all tangled up in the blinds and the wife was oblivious? I want to say "Vonage" but I really cant recall .

You are forcing me to youtube to look it up.

1 hour ago, Maverick said:

Chevy isn't his only victim.   These are awesome.

What we all want to do to that Deal Dash scumbag:

This one had me in tears:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cNQ3sxvslhQ&index=6&list=RD_C-CRVUaHiY

Mahk for Secretary of Commerce!

Heee! Love the poop one - seriously, doctors do know about opioid side effects, so I'm convinced the target audience for those meds are the people who get the opioids elsewhere.

• Love 3
10 hours ago, Jamoche said:

The guy who crashes the Chevy ads to say what we're all thinking is back!

Awesome.  "Initial quality" is a made up award and means the consumer was happy for the first 90 days.  And after that?

Not so impressive, Chevy.

• Love 6

Try to slap one of those stickers on me and I will punch you right in the face! Just because I'm an oldster doesn't mean I can't kick your skinny millennial ass. #oldmanstrength

• Love 12

Well, I've had 6 surgeries. Only one doctor told me about this side affect of Hydrocodone. After two days, I was in serious pain from this constipation. Doctors may know about it but they don't always (or maybe even often) warn their patients about it and what to do about it. I learned from personal experience. I cannot imagine taking this or any other medication for a "high" or whatever considering what it does to the body. 

• Love 5
27 minutes ago, Gam2 said:

Well, I've had 6 surgeries. Only one doctor told me about this side affect of Hydrocodone. After two days, I was in serious pain from this constipation. Doctors may know about it but they don't always (or maybe even often) warn their patients about it and what to do about it. I learned from personal experience. I cannot imagine taking this or any other medication for a "high" or whatever considering what it does to the body. 

Just FYI, all opiates including oxycodone, codeine, morphine, ANY derivative of opium or a synthetic thereof, will cause serious constipation.  When I have to take an opiate I always drink a whole lot of extra water and eat prunes (I love them) and stool softeners every day if that isn't enough.

• Love 7

Good advice, Brattinella. I find it hard to believe in this day that people don't know about this but apparently, many do not and have to learn the hard, painful way. Thanks for your contribution.

• Love 1

It seems that no matter what channel I watch, every break has the Choice Hotels "badda book, badda boom" guy.

https://www.ispot.tv/ad/APwy/choice-hotels-badda-book-pitch

https://www.ispot.tv/ad/Avsd/choice-hotels-badda-book-badda-bloom

The pitch doesn't make any damn sense, badda butthead.

This McDonald's shamrock shake ad is one of the worst. Who the hell just takes someone else's drink, assuming it was for them?  Who the hell just silently gapes and let's them do it? He must be friends with the boss, or something. There would be not very kind words if that theiving bastard tried to take my shake.

https://www.ispot.tv/ad/APdX/mcdonalds-mccaf-shamrock-chocolate-madness-enlighten-mint#

• Love 7