Type keyword(s) to search

Commercials That Annoy, Irritate or Outright Enrage

Message added by PrincessPurrsALot,

Key rules:  Stay on topic; go to Small Talk with things not about commercials; be civil; no politics. 

• Start Topic

The only thing that really bothers me about that Swiffer commercial is that they're all running around with bare feet. On that filthy floor!

I love the Swiffer commercial with the father and son and the "deep couch sitting." Also the one with the older, real life married couple. Haven't seen them in awhile though.

Cobalt, I love Joe Strummer. I'm so glad that I haven't seen/heard that commercial. He's probably rolling over in his grave.

I don't think Maya even knows she's shilling for those commercials. Shame on her estate. I love her voice, find it soothing. But not those commercials. They just make me angry on her behalf.

• Love 2

"Brainpower is neat but horsepower is sweet" - what in the everloving fuck is this bullshit? I'm not snobbish enough to insist that college and office jobs are the only way to be successful, but embracing anti-intellectualism isn't something I can ever, ever, ever get behind. 

• Love 12

Everyone in the ads for whatever drug it is with the tag line "Your_____ is showing" can all get the hell off my TV anytime now.  Bunch of cutesy pretentious people.  Hate hate hate. 

• Love 3
On 8/18/2016 at 5:58 PM, MichelleAK said:

Latest annoyance: a commercial for (I think) Google Photos, or something like that--it's cloud storage for pix and videos. Anyway, the whole commercial is people taking pictures or videos, but running out of storage room on their phones.  The annoying part is the "ping" sound each time they show a "low memory" warning.  I didn't think I could find a sound more annoying than an alarm clock going off, but there it is. That damned ping, a dozen times in one commercial.

That commercial was in heavy rotation during the Olympics, which I had on fairly steadily while we were on vacation. Every time that "ping" started, my husband and I were instinctively grabbing our phones.

• Love 1

This commercial in and of itself isn't annoying (while stupid), but it came on every. Single. COMMERCIAL. B R E A K ! ! ! during my viewing of Fear the Walking Dead on AMC's app last night. This? THIS is how you make people HATE your "Customer Experience", Adobe! (And by making software I have to use that crashes, takes a dog's age to load and has innumerable other problems, but that's another story.)

Edited by bilgistic
  • Love 1

The Honda commercials with the various choirs just get worse and worse. If they're not butchering songs, they're making my teeth itch with the way the singers get all up in the potential buyer's personal space. 

I've seen a new Liberty Mutual ad with some guy sitting on a bench who is pathologically smug about his comeback line to the insurance agent who told him that maybe he has the wrong plan. No, says he, he has the wrong insurance company. Ooh, burn. 

• Love 13
15 hours ago, AuntiePam said:

I've never had an accident in 50+ years of driving (knock wood) and don't have a lot of sympathy for drivers whose accidents are their fault -- and isn't that why your insurance company will raise your rates?  Because it was your fault? 

Actually, it's because you were considered more at fault, and there are standards of fault that rank potential aspects of the accident to help determine who that probably is, but the system doesn't always work. For example, if you hit the rear of another vehicle it's usually presumed that the accident is your fault, but if that happened right after the other driver changed lanes very close to you then braked, the blame shifts. Can you prove it though?

• Love 2

The Dominos salad twit can go at any time. Buy the girl a bagged salad and order your pizza. 

She looks possessed. Quick! Someone throw Holy Ranch Dressing on her before she starts speaking with Satan's voice!

• Love 2

Maybe they met  on eHarmony?

Speaking of which, if some guy sat down next to me on a park bench and started questioning me about my dating life I'd think he was hitting on me. I think this commercial would work better if a woman were questioning a man or vice versa because most guys probably wouldn't respond well to some strange man sitting down next to them and asking about their love lives. 

• Love 3

I don't know if anyone has seen the commercial about Devour bacon mac n cheese?  Where the mechanic (?) is eating mac n cheese, talking to it and then spanking it?  ugh.... really?    to make it worse, his coworker comes in and catches him in the act.   Does guy #1 feel embarrassed or remorseful?  of course not.   Creepers the both of 'em.

Second complaint- it's that time again for Red Lobster's craPfest........  thank god for DVRs.

• Love 7
6 minutes ago, iMonrey said:

Speaking of which, if some guy sat down next to me on a park bench and started questioning me about my dating life I'd think he was hitting on me. I think this commercial would work better if a woman were questioning a man or vice versa because most guys probably wouldn't respond well to some strange man sitting down next to them and asking about their love lives. 

Come to think of it, all the people he goes up to talk to our reasonably attractive, well groomed and dressed.  And they might all be white - am I forgetting some POCs?

• Love 3
1 hour ago, Finagler said:

I don't know if anyone has seen the commercial about Devour bacon mac n cheese?  Where the mechanic (?) is eating mac n cheese, talking to it and then spanking it?  ugh.... really?    to make it worse, his coworker comes in and catches him in the act.   Does guy #1 feel embarrassed or remorseful?  of course not.   Creepers the both of 'em.

Second complaint- it's that time again for Red Lobster's craPfest........  thank god for DVRs.

True, they are SERIOUS creepers, but damn!  That mac-n-cheese looks yummy!

Edited by Brattinella
  • Love 1
4 hours ago, Finagler said:

And the reason he doesn't act embarrassed is because his co-worker says something like, "That's hot." Which.....maybe they should try E Harmony.

• Love 5
4 hours ago, LoneHaranguer said:

Actually, it's because you were considered more at fault, and there are standards of fault that rank potential aspects of the accident to help determine who that probably is, but the system doesn't always work. For example, if you hit the rear of another vehicle it's usually presumed that the accident is your fault, but if that happened right after the other driver changed lanes very close to you then braked, the blame shifts. Can you prove it though?

Isn't that how insurance scammers work, by braking suddenly so you'll plow into them?

• Love 3
8 minutes ago, smittykins said:

Isn't that how insurance scammers work, by braking suddenly so you'll plow into them?

Stoop n Squat.  Classic scam.  Creeps like that are usually well known to the police. (And insurance companies).

11 hours ago, Ohwell said:

I love that commercial!  

Meaning, the "Uncle Richie" Dodge commercial.

Really? Is there something about "Uncle Richie" that I am not in tune with enough to recognize?

To me, it just glorifies anti-intellectualism. Which is fine if you want to live in Idiocracy. Which, hey, at least they have Costco.

7 hours ago, DeLurker said:

Come to think of it, all the people he goes up to talk to our reasonably attractive, well groomed and dressed.  And they might all be white - am I forgetting some POCs?

Not that I can recall offhand. There was that "edgy" ad with the lady who "confesses" she's not all that religious. I guess a POC or an atheist (or an atheist POC) might be too edgy for creepy eHarmony founder dude.

Regarding the Liberty Mutual tow truck ad, I have had car insurance for over 40 years, 1st with Allstate, then Nationwide, and now over 20 years with State Farm. I have NEVER called the agent or office with a question and been told to read the policy. They just answer the question.

• Love 11

At this point, I'm wondering if there's something special about car and car-related commercials that sets me off. Currently I'm hating on Infiniti's commercial with Kit Harrington. I don't even know exactly what it is, other than I think that Kit Harrington is a self-important douchcanoe, but that commercial sets my teeth on edge.

I'm also convinced that Liberty Mutual is deliberately trying to make me go insane. Now there's a commercial with a blonde lady who is bitching because she didn't read her contract and it turns out it doesn't cover what she wants it to. And of course she whines because her insurance policy was long and only lawyers read long stuff! Yeah, how dare your insurance company expect you to read the freaking contract that you're signing! And how dare those bastards HOLD YOU TO the services that you've paid for! 

• Love 7
On ‎8‎/‎23‎/‎2016 at 7:39 PM, riley702 said:

Not that I can recall offhand. There was that "edgy" ad with the lady who "confesses" she's not all that religious. I guess a POC or an atheist (or an atheist POC) might be too edgy for creepy eHarmony founder dude.

There were reported issues of eHarmony refusing to find matches for atheists or always matching them with Christians whose religion was very important to them per their questionnaires.  Creepy old eHarmony dude is very religious. 

• Love 11

As to those annoying Liberty Mutual ads, I never thought that if I got in an accident, that the insurance would pay for a tow truck.  I don't know.. It never crossed my mind.  I figured I would pay.  It's not that much.  At least around here.   I hate those commercials so much. 

• Love 4
On ‎8‎/‎23‎/‎2016 at 2:35 PM, Finagler said:

I call it "truth in advertising". If I want seafood, I'll go to a real seafood restaurant.

• Love 1
1 hour ago, OSM Mom said:

As to those annoying Liberty Mutual ads, I never thought that if I got in an accident, that the insurance would pay for a tow truck.  I don't know.. It never crossed my mind.  I figured I would pay.  It's not that much.  At least around here.   I hate those commercials so much. 

I've had AAA ever since I got my first car -- emergency road service includes free towing, free battery jumping, & free tire changing.   The older I (& my cars) get, the more worthwhile it seems.    

• Love 6
On ‎08‎/‎19‎/‎2016 at 3:21 PM, Brattinella said:

Our local grocery store will give me literally hundreds of fresh plastic bags, right off the rack (if they have enough) for free!  And I just lay them neatly in the plastic bag drawer, and use when I scoop the box.

I get them that way sometimes too.  And yet, half of them still have holes.  What is up with that?

I use two at a time (shhhhh, I know I am horrible for this).

So do I - one w/o a hole on the inside, one with on the outside.

On a non-cat poop related subject, can I just say that I hate the yogurt commercial where the midnight snack kid tells her dad that mom is the boss?  In fact, I hate most yogurt commercials.  Except the one with the paraolympians (sp?) in it; at least, I think that's a yogurt ad.

Edited by proserpina65
  • Love 2
1 hour ago, 3pwood said:

I've had AAA ever since I got my first car -- emergency road service includes free towing, free battery jumping, & free tire changing.   The older I (& my cars) get, the more worthwhile it seems.    

We have AAA too.  But that's different from your auto insurance policy paying for your tow.   

At this point, I'm wondering if there's something special about car and car-related commercials that sets me off. Currently I'm hating on Infiniti's commercial with Kit Harrington. I don't even know exactly what it is, other than I think that Kit Harrington is a self-important douchcanoe, but that commercial sets my teeth on edge.

That commercial cracks me up every time I see it because Jon Snow driving a car just seems so anachronistic. He should only be seen on horseback. Also, more to your point, the actor himself lost some serious credibility by spending a year swearing his character had been killed off the show for good. Granted he was probably contractually obligated to perpetuate that lie, but still. Infiniti has a liar as their spokesperson. 

• Love 3
3 hours ago, OSM Mom said:

We have AAA too.  But that's different from your auto insurance policy paying for your tow.   

Right, but I think, since a LOT of people have AAA, they may not even factor in whether their insurance policy includes towing. I know not everyone has AAA, but I can imagine for the subset of the population who: has always had it, and whose friends all seem to have it, the whole thing about "I was in an accident and had to pay for the tow!" in an ad is sort of "that's what AAA is for" kind of moment.

Edited by theatremouse
  • Love 6

When I had State Farm insurance, towing was an option on the policy (there are lots of add-ons for insurance policies). I think it cost $2 or something ridiculous. The part I didn't care for was that I would pay for the tow, and then SF would reimburse me. This was several years ago, so SF may have changed how it works. They did reimburse me promptly, but still, it was more work than calling AAA.

As I've mentioned somewhere, most new cars come with roadside assistance from the manufacturer. I think that's why AAA developed an infomercial, they are no longer the go-to company for road service. 

• Love 1
10 hours ago, OSM Mom said:

The Statue of Liberty is giving you a slow clap right now.

• Love 5

Cobalt Stargazer, guess towing depends and if it's not much or a lot of money depends too. My car was totaled 2 weeks ago, it was older, paid for, I'm on a very tiny SS retirement, I didn't have towing. $176 for towing it a mile and refusing to give an estimate to tow it another mile to my home so they can put it in their lot and charge $111/day is a hell of a lot of money. And then bullying my 17 yr old great nephew to signing over the car to them before he could collect his personal belongings. I'm thinking law suit, wish I could afford an attorney. And my name was the only name on car title, of course the asshole tow driver called me and screamed at me that I had to sign the car over to him, right that minute. I was home sick and am still sick. Hard to think.

But what I wanted to really talk about was Amazon Prime dog commercials. I loved the one with the dog with a broken leg where the stupid owner finally got the idea to get a pet carrier so he could take his dog to the park - mostly because I love Paint Your Wagon and the song "I Was Born Under A Wonderin' Strar". But I am so puzzled by the Golden Retriever, lion mane, baby one. Is the baby new to the house? She's sitting by herself, (I think it's a girl) so she's not a newborn. Is the dog new to the house? If both have been in the house/family for a few months, why are they just now being introduced? Family dogs can be introduced to newborns with supervision and continued supervision, it's how they bond. And adding a lion's mane is going to make that baby think it's her toy? Most likely, she's going to pull and tug until she annoys the stuffing out of the dog.  I really don't like that ad. And it misses the point, which is to sell Amazon Prime.

• Love 6
45 minutes ago, friendperidot said:

Cobalt Stargazer, guess towing depends and if it's not much or a lot of money depends too. My car was totaled 2 weeks ago, it was older, paid for, I'm on a very tiny SS retirement, I didn't have towing. $176 for towing it a mile and refusing to give an estimate to tow it another mile to my home so they can put it in their lot and charge $111/day is a hell of a lot of money. And then bullying my 17 yr old great nephew to signing over the car to them before he could collect his personal belongings. I'm thinking law suit, wish I could afford an attorney. And my name was the only name on car title, of course the asshole tow driver called me and screamed at me that I had to sign the car over to him, right that minute. I was home sick and am still sick. Hard to think.

Did you sign the car over to the towing company? Yes, those storage fees add up quickly. Did you have insurance? Did the other driver have insurance? The insurance companies should work this out, you shouldn't have to talk to the towing company. They had no right to prevent you for collecting your personal belongings from the vehicle. If they call again, tell them you will report them for elder abuse.

• Love 3

ennui, answered those questions in small talk. A small fyi, this guy wouldn't care if I reported him anywhere, he referred to my sister and nephew as "those kind of people". I'm not sure what "those kind of people" are, but that statement makes me furious. Since I didn't see or meet the man, I don't know if it was racial or economic or thieves. We're not well off financially, but we are not thieves and race simply doesn't matter or shouldn't.

• Love 4

Fruit of the Loom Breathable Underwear. A bunch of office drones attempt to name the company's exciting new mesh underpants, resulting in "pantarctica," "brrriefs" and other names so painfully stupid that I can't type them without cringing. It's on my Instant Mute List.

• Love 3

You guys! Sonic is now advertising shakes with filling down the middle! Do I dare go and see if Sonic offers such selfsame disappointment as Dairy Queen? Do their caramel-peddling adverts lie like DQ? Or shall I be pleasantly surprised?

They even went the same damn route of the whole "how'd they get it in there" approach in the ad. If I didn't know better I'd think someone had invented a caramel-and-or-hot-fudge injector system and had struck a deal with both chains. But I will not be fooled twice. I am highly skeptical.

• Love 3

I refuse to patronize Sonic because of their continued, relentless, unparalleled assault upon my senses that are the commercials with the two dipshits in the car, rhapsodizing about tater tots, or wings, or their ex-girlfriends. We could've had something nice together, Sonic, but you had to bring those two dicks along.

We could've had some jalapeno poppers.

Edited by bilgistic
  • Love 12
4 hours ago, friendperidot said:

But what I wanted to really talk about was Amazon Prime dog commercials. I loved the one with the dog with a broken leg where the stupid owner finally got the idea to get a pet carrier so he could take his dog to the park - mostly because I love Paint Your Wagon and the song "I Was Born Under A Wonderin' Strar". But I am so puzzled by the Golden Retriever, lion mane, baby one. Is the baby new to the house? She's sitting by herself, (I think it's a girl) so she's not a newborn. Is the dog new to the house? If both have been in the house/family for a few months, why are they just now being introduced? Family dogs can be introduced to newborns with supervision and continued supervision, it's how they bond. And adding a lion's mane is going to make that baby think it's her toy? Most likely, she's going to pull and tug until she annoys the stuffing out of the dog.  I really don't like that ad. And it misses the point, which is to sell Amazon Prime.

I loved the first Amazon Prime ad, with the cute dog with the cast, and the Frodo-looking guy.  The glare the poor dog gives Frodo about 30 seconds in is hilarious.

I can live with the hokey message of the new ad (the dog wearing the lion's mane) but that song is terrible.  I can't stand that breathy, whispered singing.  It's like the singer's about to burst into tears.

• Love 2
On 5/8/2016 at 8:04 PM, editorgrrl said:

Dutch Glow® Amish Cleaning Tonic ("from a pure and simple people") when added to water "makes water wetter"?!

"Makes water wetter" is now what we say when we hear anyone BS. Somehow these bozos get away without listing ingredients. Probably dish soap.

On 5/17/2016 at 8:24 PM, Amethyst said:

The "Sorry" commercials for Milky Way are terrible.  I don't want to see people being jerks.  The tattoo girl is the worst of the lot.

SO Snickers make you younger, smarter, sharper and Milky Ways make you slackish, lazy, and irresponsible?  Oh... think I'll just have a Kit Kat -- wait, that would make me obnoxious and self centered.  Give me a break!

On 5/23/2016 at 11:22 AM, Hildegard802 said:

The Excedrin commercial where the mother has to wear the "reality goggles" to find out what her daughter experiences during a migraine pisses me off.  I see two scenarios.  The first is the mother is such an asshole she can't believe her daughter is laid out with pain unless she experiences it for herself.  The second is the daughter is such a self-absorbed twit she's not happy unless everyone around her can personally experience every single feeling/illness she has.

Both scenarios just make me hate both of them.  

There was a sci-fi movie where this person had the ability to transmit other feelings to people.  In one scene, he confronts deer hunters and touches the wounded deer and the hunter.  The hunter dies from shock from the pain.

• Love 4
11 hours ago, amass said:

When I had a cat I used  buy litter box liner bags and just toss the whole thing every few days.....

Every few days? I can't even imagine; at our place, it's scoop two boxes at least once a day, more if we're present at the time of the act. And then dump the works when the litter (World's Best) starts being too sawdusty.

I am SO TIRED of the "Mom, did you know?"  "Dad, you killed me!"  HPV-genital warts vaccine commercials (your parents didn't make you have unprotected sex with infected people!)

Unfortunately, HPV can be spread even if people use condoms, and it's still pretty difficult for a guy to even know if he's a carrier.

Edited by TattleTeeny
  • Love 8
4 minutes ago, TattleTeeny said:

and it's still pretty difficult for a guy to even know if he's a carrier.

See, I don't understand this.  Those cauliflower-looking warts are on the OUTSIDE OF THE PENIS.  How can the guy not see?

A person--male or female--can carry it without manifesting any symptoms. And because it's not limited to the parts protected by a condom, it can get all over the...regions of both parties.

Edited by TattleTeeny
  • Love 10

Yeah, and I believe there's not even currently a test that guys can take to see if it's present. Plus, even if there was a way to find out, teenage guys in general don't typically get any kind of male equivalent of the gyno exam that girls do when they get to a certain age. HPV is actually super-common (and can affect the throat as well depending on the chosen activity); honestly, I don't think I have many female friends who haven't had a bout with it (and none of them, as far as I know, have dealt with warts--and yes, some of them would actually come right out say so if they had. We're a TMI bunch over here).

But it is a pretty nasty commercial campaign; instead of scaring or guilting people, maybe give some valid info? 

Edited by TattleTeeny
  • Love 3

Fruit of the Loom Breathable Underwear. A bunch of office drones attempt to name the company's exciting new mesh underpants, resulting in "pantarctica," "brrriefs" and other names so painfully stupid that I can't type them without cringing. It's on my Instant Mute List.

The one I keep seeing is a woman trying on a bridesmaid's dress and getting it stuck over her head and all the other bridesmaids keep coming into the dressing room to marvel over her space-age breathable panties while the poor woman continues to struggle with the dress stuck over her head. It skeevs me out.

• Love 3