Type keyword(s) to search

Commercials That Annoy, Irritate or Outright Enrage

Message added by PrincessPurrsALot,

Key rules:  Stay on topic; go to Small Talk with things not about commercials; be civil; no politics. 

• Start Topic

Wife and husband are driving in a car and the wife says, "We need to talk." and the husband says, "I took out the trash."  And the wife says "And I thank you for that."

Fuck that.  Is he a special snowflake that has to be thanked when he does things around the house?

The ad is for Medicare options, by the way.

Wife and husband are driving in a car and the wife says, "We need to talk." and the husband says, "I took out the trash."  And the wife says "And I thank you for that."

Fuck that.  Is he a special snowflake that has to be thanked when he does things around the house?

The ad is for Medicare options, by the way.

I saw that, too. It was so odd!

Considering the general 'tude wives have towards their husbands in commercials ("Babe, what are you doing?" "What did you do?") I'm surprised she used the oxygen to thank him for taking out the garbage rather than just rolling her eyes at the idea that he could possibly do something helpful.

Considering the general 'tude wives have towards their husbands in commercials ("Babe, what are you doing?" "What did you do?") I'm surprised she used the oxygen to thank him for taking out the garbage rather than just rolling her eyes at the idea that he could possibly do something helpful.

In the real world we call that successful couple counseling. Or it could be a case of preempted positive reenforcement. Before the bat shit crazy starts. My bet would be on the latter.

So, I've watched some of the L&O: CI marathon on Ion, and they keep playing this commercial:

http://youtu.be/e0FbFIyvVK0

The "Oh yeahs!" make me want to rip my ears off and beat these people mute into unconsciousness. Just me? Okay.  :-)

Jesus, my eye's twitching. What, did they hop those kids up on sugar before they started filming? Because that's just frigging obnoxious.

In the real world we call that successful couple counseling. Or it could be a case of preempted positive reenforcement. Before the bat shit crazy starts. My bet would be on the latter.

Heh, yeah, he's probably trying to keep her from flipping her shit before it happens.

So, I've watched some of the L&O: CI marathon on Ion, and they keep playing this commercial:

http://youtu.be/e0FbFIyvVK0

The "Oh yeahs!" make me want to rip my ears off and beat these people mute into unconsciousness. Just me? Okay.  :-)

What gets me is, how many real-life kids would be going "Oh yeah!" over Payless brand shoes?  Of course, the parent has no obligation to buy name-brand shoes, but when I was in middle/high school in the dark ages, you were looked down upon if you wore shoes from Payless or K-Mart(no Wal-Marts in my area then).

• Love 2

How about the Angieslist commercial where "Riley" the dog has been rescued and the helpless lady proclaims that without Angieslist she would have been completely lost as to where to even start finding services for Riley...  Really?!?  Apparently she's never owned a pet or knows anyone that has a dog for recommendations. 

On the flip side there is a great commercial I saw once for a free competitor site to Angieslist.  I can't recall the name, but they even have a fake Angie in it...  hilarious!

• Love 1

Oh I totally want to know the name of the comptetitor to Angieslist.    Because 1) Angie is a frigging liar.   Everyone pays to use that site.  So someone could sign up and just make good reviews about themselves.   Plus you are only get reviews form people who bother to pay to make reviews.   Hmmmmmmmmmmmm.   2)  Apparently that consists of only morons like Riley's owner who has never heard of Petsmart (seriously you had to go to Angie's  List to find out where to get the supplies you needed) or any other resources to get what they need.   Apparently without Angie's List you are frozen into inaction on anything.

• Love 4

Oh I totally want to know the name of the comptetitor to Angieslist.    Because 1) Angie is a frigging liar.   Everyone pays to use that site.  So someone could sign up and just make good reviews about themselves.   Plus you are only get reviews form people who bother to pay to make reviews.   Hmmmmmmmmmmmm.   2)  Apparently that consists of only morons like Riley's owner who has never heard of Petsmart (seriously you had to go to Angie's  List to find out where to get the supplies you needed) or any other resources to get what they need.   Apparently without Angie's List you are frozen into inaction on anything.

I'm still not sure whats wrong with using yelp and just avoiding any "over positive" reviews?

• Love 4

Gauugh, the Liberty Mutual commercials.   Apparently Liberty Mutual insurance is for people who don't understand how the world works.   Get in a car accident with your brand new car and you only get the depreciated value?   Well, yes.   Everyone with a brain knows your car depreciates the second you drive it off the lot.   And that insurance goes up if you get in accident?   Well yes.   You see car insurance companies exist to make money and they lose money if they cover too many accidents.   The bigger you are as a risk, the more you pay.  

• Love 1
I'm still not sure whats wrong with using yelp and just avoiding any "over positive" reviews?

Nothing wrong per se, but at least in my area, Yelp is about 90% restaurants, and very little of the sort of business Angie's list is really catered to. So at least around here, the problem with using Yelp for that is most won't have enough reviews to constitute a sufficient sample size. We're talking single digits or teens here.

I don't use Angie's list, because I'm not going to pay for that, and I would love to find home-services-fixing-upping type businesses on Yelp, but too often, I got nuthin' from m'searches. So there's definitely a market for those sort of review sites that specify in that. At least until we can get more people to review that stuff on Yelp.

(edited)

Nothing wrong per se, but at least in my area, Yelp is about 90% restaurants, and very little of the sort of business Angie's list is really catered to. So at least around here, the problem with using Yelp for that is most won't have enough reviews to constitute a sufficient sample size. We're talking single digits or teens here.

I don't use Angie's list, because I'm not going to pay for that, and I would love to find home-services-fixing-upping type businesses on Yelp, but too often, I got nuthin' from m'searches. So there's definitely a market for those sort of review sites that specify in that. At least until we can get more people to review that stuff on Yelp.

I know I've found some odd stuff on Yelp....the photographer I used, and my local pet stores, but I've never looked for a home service, contractor type thing.  That actually would be a good thing to branch out into for Yelp at least

Edited by RealityGal
(edited)

Gauugh, the Liberty Mutual commercials.   Apparently Liberty Mutual insurance is for people who don't understand how the world works.   Get in a car accident with your brand new car and you only get the depreciated value?   Well, yes.   Everyone with a brain knows your car depreciates the second you drive it off the lot.   And that insurance goes up if you get in accident?   Well yes.   You see car insurance companies exist to make money and they lose money if they cover too many accidents.   The bigger you are as a risk, the more you pay.  

This is true, but speaking as someone who's had to fart around with an insurance company after some idiot backed into my car and did about six hundred dollars worth of damage in an accident that wouldn't have happened if the moron had been paying damn attention to what he was doing, I can sympathize with that guy. Yes, cars depreciate and of course insurance companies have to make money, but as a crank I think there ought to be some kind of clause that says someone else's idiocy shouldn't be something you have to pay for. And get off my lawn..

Edited by Cobalt Stargazer
  • Love 4

I get not wanting to pay if you didn't cause the accident.   But in the commercial, the lady was the moron who caused the accident.   Then was all "hey people make mistakes."   HER attitude is why your rates went up.  

• Love 1

Those Liberty Mutual commercials make me wonder just how stupid they think the general population is, because obviously if your rates don't go up after an accident, then you're paying higher rates from Day 1. I guess we're supposed to be fooled that there's a magical land where you get the lower, no-accident rates AND get to keep them after an accident? Oo-kay...

Is Liberty Mutual also the company behind the commercial in which some hypothetical driver being addressed is terrible at parallel parking, and will thus inevitably tear the bumper off someone's car at some point?  According to the person in the commercial, this leads to two options: taking the bus, or buying insurance from X company.  Um, how about option three: learn to parallel park, and park in lots until you do so.

• Love 2

I got it in all it's double-entendre glory.  It was darned near single-entendre!  And that's what I was commenting on.  (Plus, I still eat pop tarts (and cheetos) occasionally - you don't need to be a tween for that.  Nothing wrong with that either.)

Just saw a new annoying commercial today for a product called Pregnitude. WTF?! O_o Another new thing to shove at women... and it sounds like a scam and a 10 minute one at that.

Thats sounds like a pregnant woman's behavior or something.

"You know what? I can't really deal with your pregnitude today. I'll go get you your peanut butter pie right now. Sheesh. I wasn't half as irritable in *my* third trimester."

• Love 7

Thats sounds like a pregnant woman's behavior or something.

"You know what? I can't really deal with your pregnitude today. I'll go get you your peanut butter pie right now. Sheesh. I wasn't half as irritable in *my* third trimester."

XD Yea I know. It was really out there.

I'll never understand the trend of the anthropomorphism of things we are supposed to eat, like living Pop-Tarts or bits of cereal. Why are we tricking living Pop-Tarts into killing themselves in toasters? How does that appeal to the consumer? Trick your food into committing suicide so you can eat it! 

• Love 4

I'll never understand the trend of the anthropomorphism of things we are supposed to eat, like living Pop-Tarts or bits of cereal. Why are we tricking living Pop-Tarts into killing themselves in toasters? How does that appeal to the consumer? Trick your food into committing suicide so you can eat it! 

That like second degree pop-tart murder right there.  Although the cinnamon toast crunch is especially bad because he has crazy eyes.

Shit's not right man....shits not right

• Love 3
How does that appeal to the consumer? Trick your food into committing suicide so you can eat it!

Right, like if a despondent cow jumped into a meat grinder in a commercial, that wouldn't fly. Or if one ate another...well that'd be weird because they couldn't digest it, but it'd make me think of zombie cows and...dark stuff, man. Dark stuff.

And this is not a new thing, since it started with Charlie from Starkist back in the day. I never knew why he was so eager to get caught and put in little cans to be eaten.

• Love 2

And this is not a new thing, since it started with Charlie from Starkist back in the day. I never knew why he was so eager to get caught and put in little cans to be eaten.

He was on a jihad? He loaded up on the mercury hoping to poison a few unsuspecting cannibalistic humans. All for the honor of spawning with 100 virgin tunas in the afterlife.

• Love 2

I got it in all it's double-entendre glory.  It was darned near single-entendre!  And that's what I was commenting on.  (Plus, I still eat pop tarts (and cheetos) occasionally - you don't need to be a tween for that.  Nothing wrong with that either.)

I like cheetos too, but I don't think ruining fancy cuisine with them will improve the taste. How did this guy not know what kind of restaurant he was going to? A better version would be the family leaving and going to Olive Garden or something like that if the artistic food was not satisfying enough, Cheetos are a snack.

• Love 3

Gawd, just saw that one recently. I HATE that one... makes me want to /facepalm every time it's on. I mean, come on guys if you feel that insecure about yourself then I truly feel sorry for you. No soap will ever make you into a woman.

Totally off-topic but I used to do child care in my home (don't judge), and the father of one of my 3-year-olds told me not to let him use pink construction paper, pink crayons, or play with anything that was a girl toy. He was afraid the pink would turn him gay. I do not kid.

(edited)

I believe you; my (divorced female) friend won't let her son play with Dora the Explorer toys because they are "girly"! Dora the freakin' Explorer!?! I will just tell him one day (he's four) to come to Auntie Bilgistic with all his "shameful" questions.

BTW, I currently use men's antiperspirant. I like the scents better than the usual flower explosion choices in women's antiperspirant, and I had a coupon, and it was cheaper, and it works better. Watch out, everybody, I might grow a penis.

Edited by bilgistic
  • Love 5

I believe you; my (divorced female) friend won't let her son play with Dora the Explorer toys because they are "girly"! Dora the freakin' Explorer!?! I will just tell him one day (he's four) to come to Auntie Bilgistic with all his "shameful" questions.

BTW, I currently use men's antiperspirant. I like the scents better than the usual flower explosion choices in women's antiperspirant, and I had a coupon, and it was cheaper, and it works better. Watch out, everybody, I might grow a penis.

Aw shit. Then you're gonna have to do girly things, quite the opposite of what the fella in the Vagisil commercials did.

And I also use men's deodorant, because Secret canNOT keep the secret when I start sweating.

• Love 2

I use a lot of "men's" toiletries - razors, shaving cream, antiperspirant, etc. - because they're actually just toiletries without the gender surcharge.  I have yet to develop a Y chromosome.

• Love 5

This one grates my nerves

Ok it's horrible that they're answering this one in unison of two different locations but it's also sad that people are selling chandeliers and rugs for lockers. Where the hell are the damn textbooks?? I would be damned if I brought my child a rug and a chandelier to go in their locker. This is horrible advertising.

• Love 2

I haven't seen this one mentioned yet, and yes, I read all 19 pages!  The "First Flush" ads for, I think, Pull-Ups. The families have elaborate ways to celebrate the First Flush, and the end of the ad asks something like "How do you celebrate your First Flush? Let us know!"

Is this really a thing? I'm afraid to go to Pinterest and find out. If it is, it's moronic.

• Love 4

Aw shit. Then you're gonna have to do girly things, quite the opposite of what the fella in the Vagisil commercials did.

And I also use men's deodorant, because Secret canNOT keep the secret when I start sweating.

Don't feel bad, I have boxers I wear around the house in summer time because they're so comfortable and cheaper.

I use a lot of "men's" toiletries - razors, shaving cream, antiperspirant, etc. - because they're actually just toiletries without the gender surcharge.  I have yet to develop a Y chromosome.

And seem to generally be made better. Tried a Venus razor once, and it was a piece of junk. Needless to say, I went back to using a Gillete man razor. 

Totally off-topic but I used to do child care in my home (don't judge), and the father of one of my 3-year-olds told me not to let him use pink construction paper, pink crayons, or play with anything that was a girl toy. He was afraid the pink would turn him gay. I do not kid.

Woah. O_o Some people, I swear. Guess they bought into the old stereotypes.

(edited)

Has anyone seen the commercial for lice-repelling shampoo? I kid you not. Not for treatment, but for prevention. If there were an outbreak at your kid's school or daycare, I could see it for a short time, but they brag that you can use it every day. Really? Is this aimed at the paranoid, chicken-bleachers?  It's almost as crazy as the ex-coworker who many years ago confided that she regularly wore a contraceptive sponge just in case she should ever be raped. Yikes!

I went to YouTube and they've changed up the wording a bit to emphasize that lice outbreaks can be stressful. But still....

Edited by riley702

I use the Dove Men Care+ deodorant and soap.  It smells so good!  My SIL introduced me to the soap & I found the deodorant on my own when I went looking for something that wasn't an anti-perspirant.  I think we're supposed to sweat; I just don't wanna be stinky about it.

• Love 1

Amen on the Venus razor,  what a piece of crap!  Gillette makes a great men's razor.  I've noticed that the companies who make razors and toothbrushes keep trying to "upgrade" them with unnecessary and ridiculous improvements, don't fall for this!  The basic models are ALL YOU NEED.

Lice-preventative??  Wowie!