Type keyword(s) to search

Commercials That Annoy, Irritate or Outright Enrage

Message added by PrincessPurrsALot,

Key rules:  Stay on topic; go to Small Talk with things not about commercials; be civil; no politics. 

• Start Topic

On 3/26/2018 at 12:33 PM, xls said:

Without being judgmental -its not an ideal world and young people do have sex-ITA! I would protect my kids with all available vaccines, better safe than sorry. 

Feel kinda mixed on this one I think its cute but always had a nagging feeling they are mocking Prince  every time I see the 'Sweet One' 

Hmmm I never saw his character as being associated with Prince, but now that you mention it, there are some similarities.

I love these commercials so I’ll go with maybe they’re “paying homage” to Prince instead. 

As an unrelated aside: I have recently nicknamed my cat “Little Sweet.”

17 hours ago, Ohwell said:

This is probably an unpopular opinion:  I  know that Leslie Odom, Jr. is famous for being in Hamilton, so I guess he's regarded as a great singer, but I just can't stand his twee, precious voice in those Nationwide commercials.     

I’m dying to see Hamilton and I’ve no doubt he’s fabulous in it. But yea, those songs/commercials annoy the stuffing out of me. 

• Love 3
4 hours ago, Duke2801 said:

Hmmm I never saw his character as being associated with Prince, but now that you mention it, there are some similarities.

I love these commercials so I’ll go with maybe they’re “paying homage” to Prince instead. 

As an unrelated aside: I have recently nicknamed my cat “Little Sweet.”

I never knew it was Justin Guarini until about 2 years ago.  Someone I know is friends with him somehow, and he shared a Twitter convo between him and Justin, and it came out there.  I responded about not knowing it was him (I think it's just with the last set of commercials that they've put his name on the screen), and he said that it's a character he used to do for his wife and kids (not called "L'il Sweet", but the attitude and voice, and stuff) and he thought it was hilarious that he gets paid to do it.

• Love 7
15 minutes ago, funky-rat said:

I never knew it was Justin Guarini until about 2 years ago.  Someone I know is friends with him somehow, and he shared a Twitter convo between him and Justin, and it came out there.  I responded about not knowing it was him (I think it's just with the last set of commercials that they've put his name on the screen), and he said that it's a character he used to do for his wife and kids (not called "L'il Sweet", but the attitude and voice, and stuff) and he thought it was hilarious that he gets paid to do it.

Awww that's cool. I personally find the character - and the commercials themselves - very amusing!  I was a big fan of his back in the first season of American Idol (the ONLY season I actually watched).  I had NO clue it was him as Lil' Sweet either until .... actually I think I read it on here! (I originally thought it was Seth Green from Buffy the Vampire Slayer, Austin Powers, etc)

• Love 3

Anyone else agree that Mucinex Mucus is the Flo of Over the Counter Congestion Product Ads and/or Flo is the Mucinex Mucus of the Insurance Ads! BOTH need to SCRAM and NEVER return LAST YEAR!

Sheriff Mucus, dancing conga-line Mucus Participants, and Mucus that talks to people in bathrooms and bedrooms should all be banned.  Plus, why does Sheriff Mucus sound congested and nasally?  Flo doesn't annoy me anywhere near as much as the personification of phlegm.

Edited by Ilovecomputers
  • Love 9

You really can see that what commercials you see on cable depend on the channels you watch. I discovered that the "Decades" channel is showing Mary Tyler Moore, The Bob Newhart Show, and Newhart from 2 pm - 5 pm ET. So I see 3 hours of commercials for Medicare ads, sue people for a bad shingles vaccine, Tom Selleck extolling the virtues of a particular company that offers reverse mortgages (because he's researched them, and they care about you/insert eye roll), and catheters that hardly hurt at all! So it seems this baby boomer has reached a demographic they are going for. Sigh..

• Love 16
9 hours ago, Duke2801 said:

Awww that's cool. I personally find the character - and the commercials themselves - very amusing!  I was a big fan of his back in the first season of American Idol (the ONLY season I actually watched).  I had NO clue it was him as Lil' Sweet either until .... actually I think I read it on here! (I originally thought it was Seth Green from Buffy the Vampire Slayer, Austin Powers, etc)

I knew it was Justin because I recognized his face under the wig and I, too, was a big fan of his on American Idol.  I even went to a few of his concerts post-Idol.

• Love 2
On 3/26/2018 at 5:18 PM, Brattinella said:

This commercial sends me zooming to the remote.  How do you put such a heartfelt spin on INSURANCE?  It seems like a song for a cherished lover.  She just creeps me out.

https://www.ispot.tv/ad/wFqG/nationwide-insurance-songs-for-all-your-sides-feat-tori-kelly

Oh hell to the NO on this f'n moronic commercial. I think it's in my top 2 most HATED commercials. Little Miss Taylor Swift Junior singing "Nationwide is on your side". This woman belongs next to COURTNEY from Match.com. sitting in the OTHER jet engine propeller with her dumb ass guitar. 

Edited by chenoa333
  • Love 6
On 3/27/2018 at 1:33 PM, Ohwell said:

This is probably an unpopular opinion:  I  know that Leslie Odom, Jr. is famous for being in Hamilton, so I guess he's regarded as a great singer, but I just can't stand his twee, precious voice in those Nationwide commercials.     

I have no real opinion of Mr. Odom himself, but I am deeply annoyed at how damn earnest he and Tori Kelly are about frigging insurance. Dial it back several notches. And now there’s a super short ad with Kelly warbling a couple of lines about a baby. Sorry, bay-bay. As much as I don’t enjoy Brad Paisley, I rather miss his more lighthearted Nationwide commercials with Peyton Manning. 

• Love 7
11 hours ago, NinjaPenguins said:

I have no real opinion of Mr. Odom himself, but I am deeply annoyed at how damn earnest he and Tori Kelly are about frigging insurance. Dial it back several notches. And now there’s a super short ad with Kelly warbling a couple of lines about a baby. Sorry, bay-bay. As much as I don’t enjoy Brad Paisley, I rather miss his more lighthearted Nationwide commercials with Peyton Manning. 

I think the biggest rub with me on the version with Tori Kelly is the wording of the lyrics "Your mom side", "Your retired side".  I know Nationwide is on your side, but you don't need to butcher the language to make your point.  And a slightly different rub in general is that as a childless woman (not by choice), people already look down on us (the unsolicited opinions and advice I get from the public is mind-boggling).  Seems like every other commercial lately is about moms (and no, I don't watch Lifetime or other stuff that's supposedly aimed at women) and how awesome their life is, and that just twists the knife in further.

• Love 7

The Carvana commercial is really irritating me these days. All these people are "confronting" their sleazy car salesmen who baited-and-switched them and discovering the magic of Carvana, which eliminates the middleman.

What's annoying is how this one woman keeps telling the car salesman, "I'm sorry...I'm so sorry...this isn't what we agreed on...I'm sorry."

Lady, THE GUY IS TRYING TO CHEAT YOU! STOP APOLOGIZING!

• Love 11
29 minutes ago, NinjaPenguins said:

I’m in the exact same boat. There’s a commercial for Special K, I think, where some dipshit chirps about how women are amazing because “our bodies grow babeeeeez.” Click. Mine doesn’t, lady. I’ll find a cereal or snack bar that doesn’t make assumptions about my womanhood. The commercial then veers into waxing rhapsodic about how women eat. Yep, just like the other half of the population! Cue the shots of women eating Special K products, which they’ve been known to market by implying that eating their stuff will slim us down. Women can own eating... Special K. I certainly feel empowered. I’ll horde some Fiber One brownies and Special K and pooping yogurt in my she-shed, take off my bra and stew in my own smugness at what a naughty gal I am. 

A million up-votes if I could!

• Love 17
7 minutes ago, potatoradio said:

Oh, dear god. It's come to this? The cereal market is so saturated they're using a fifth grade "intro to your womanhood" sex ed attack? Will boxes of Special K now come with a toy in the box? Like a plastic uterus with insertable fetus? Or gummi boobs? Cannot. Facepalm. Hard. Enough. Be gone, Special K, you hellhound of the cereal aisle. 

Don't forget to emerge from your she-shed every once in a while, @NinjaPenguins. Your hub/wife/sig other will have spilled motor oil on the kitchen floor and will be standing agape at the fridge. You will need to ask, "babe? What are you doing?" as you grab your Brawny and put things right. If you're not there, "Babe" may steal your naughtiest chocolate plastic bit filled peach cream pie dreamsicle Yoplait. What good is your she-shed then? 

*dead*

• Love 9

I hate the ad where a smug woman sitting on a sofa has her son run over so that she can tell her remote "find my phone" snd have her phone ring. The guy looks unimpressed and so am I. That's not "finding" her phone. You may as well have an app that'll have your phone answer when you call to it. Oh wait, doesn't Siri already do that? Maybe when it can use the phone's GPS to actually tell her where it is, even if it's in a room upstairs with the sound turned off, it'd be worth an ad.

• Love 5
45 minutes ago, LoneHaranguer said:

I hate the ad where a smug woman sitting on a sofa has her son run over so that she can tell her remote "find my phone" snd have her phone ring. The guy looks unimpressed and so am I. That's not "finding" her phone. You may as well have an app that'll have your phone answer when you call to it. Oh wait, doesn't Siri already do that? Maybe when it can use the phone's GPS to actually tell her where it is, even if it's in a room upstairs with the sound turned off, it'd be worth an ad.

And she goes "this tech stuff is so easy". Well, yeah it is now after thousands of people labored untold thousands of hours to make it that way. Dumbass.

• Love 8
2 hours ago, potatoradio said:

Don't forget to emerge from your she-shed every once in a while, @NinjaPenguins. Your hub/wife/sig other will have spilled motor oil on the kitchen floor and will be standing agape at the fridge. You will need to ask, "babe? What are you doing?" as you grab your Brawny and put things right. If you're not there, "Babe" may steal your naughtiest chocolate plastic bit filled peach cream pie dreamsicle Yoplait. What good is your she-shed then? 

He’s only stealing the peach cream pie Yoplait because he heard me talking about a peach pie and thought it was a real pie. Ha ha! Men are such morons about our mysterious lady foods. And our laxatives, as revealed by that commercial where a woman explains Senokot to her husband, who seems mildly perplexed upon learning that she gets constipated. 

• Love 17

My Mom despised Special K commercials for as long as I could remember. In solidarity I took up despising them too especially the one that has been mentioned above where the first thing they mention about why a woman is special is that she can grow babeeeeez. The way the lady says that part in the commercial is annoying because of the vocal fry she has going on.

That damn Contrave commercial has ramped up again. They seem to ramp up the airings when holidays are coming up when people gather to eat. It was on a lot during the holiday season last year. It makes me so angry because it's so demeaning towards women. Since I'm the only human in my home (Don't live alone because cat!) more times then not I end up asking out loud kinda loudly where the commercial all about fat men eating less, refusing food, holding clothes in front of themselves and modeling in front of a mirror is. This is probably the 3rd or 4th time I've ranted about the commercial in this thread. I'll probably rant about it a few more times as long as that commercial keeps airing.

Edited by Jaded
  • Love 12
2 hours ago, Jaded said:

That damn Contrave commercial has ramped up again. They seem to ramp up the airings when holidays are coming up when people gather to eat. It was on a lot during the holiday season last year. It makes me so angry because it's so demeaning towards women. Since I'm the only human in my home (Don't live alone because cat!) more times then not I end up asking out loud kinda loudly where the commercial all about fat men eating less, refusing food, holding clothes in front of themselves and modeling in front of a mirror is. This is probably the 3rd or 4th time I've ranted about the commercial in this thread. I'll probably rant about it a few more times as long as that commercial keeps airing

I'm with you on this one.  Such a sexist commercial (don't men get fat, too?)  The two ladies who pop out of the brain to squeal "Ice Cream"  "French Fries!"  UGH!!

• Love 7

I just stumbled onto this site and I had no idea that so many people felt the same as I do about some commercials. Hahahahaha. This is utterly amazing. I love it! I love it!!!

I seriously want to beat the shit out of the lady from the jet dry commercial who whines to her diswasher for not drying the dishes. Then when the man starts talking, I feel the need to remove the racks from the washer, push him in and hit the start button. Those two for some reason piss me off to no end. I really enjoy making fun of bad or stupid commercials and it's great to laugh but that Jet dry one just gets to me in a bad way. Almost as bad as the Panera bread lady's voice. Lol. Like nails on a chalkboard. 

Edited by Julzygirl
Typo
  • Love 13
On 3/30/2018 at 11:34 AM, Jaded said:

My Mom despised Special K commercials for as long as I could remember. In solidarity I took up despising them too especially the one that has been mentioned above where the first thing they mention about why a woman is special is that she can grow babeeeeez. The way the lady says that part in the commercial is annoying because of the vocal fry she has going on.

That damn Contrave commercial has ramped up again. They seem to ramp up the airings when holidays are coming up when people gather to eat. It was on a lot during the holiday season last year. It makes me so angry because it's so demeaning towards women. Since I'm the only human in my home (Don't live alone because cat!) more times then not I end up asking out loud kinda loudly where the commercial all about fat men eating less, refusing food, holding clothes in front of themselves and modeling in front of a mirror is. This is probably the 3rd or 4th time I've ranted about the commercial in this thread. I'll probably rant about it a few more times as long as that commercial keeps airing.

Ya that Special K commercial is irritating. I am a woman and I eat too. Woopty shwoopty!!! 

• Love 8
On 2/23/2018 at 3:24 AM, Jamoche said:

She kicks off my passive-aggressive evil side so hard - oh gosh, your tone says you are trolling so hard for sympathy while pretending you're not, that I'm just going to pretend to take you at your word and believe that you're "fine".

HAHAHAHAHA

I've been meaning to mention that one, too :D! Yes. I totally hear it the same way. The first time I saw that commercial I actually did a bit of a double take like, "...wait, it's got what now?" 

• Love 5

I remember when a Planter’s commercial had Mr. Peanut asking “Are you tired of working for peanuts?” I thought he’d asked “Are you tired of working for penis?” It’s like, well, I’ve never tried it, but it sounds intriguing. Not something I’d expect to see advertised on television though.

• Love 18
On 3/31/2018 at 6:33 AM, Ubiquitous said:

I noticed that commercial with three women trimming their bushes is back. Yuck!

That commercial has always pissed me off. It's childish, stupid and offensive. And the constant background sing-song of "La la la la la." 

Are there any therapists who post here? I need some confirmation that i'm not "losing it". I had a dream last night and Courtney from the Match.com ad with the black saucer hat was in it. 

• Love 5

OMG, I just saw a commercial for a thing called Sling. These two couples are having drinks and one says we don't know you very well but we'd like to invite you to become Slingers with us. The wife of the other couple is like um...no? but her husband is all for it so the first couple begin telling them about this TV provider called Sling. Meanwhile the second couple's husband starts to disrobe. "Oh I thought you meant something else."  Charming. 

• Love 14
1 hour ago, peacheslatour said:

OMG, I just saw a commercial for a thing called Sling. These two couples are having drinks and one says we don't know you very well but we'd like to invite you to become Slingers with us. The wife of the other couple is like um...no? but her husband is all for it so the first couple begin telling them about this TV provider called Sling. Meanwhile the second couple's husband starts to disrobe. "Oh I thought you meant something else."  Charming. 

Is that the commercial with that UGLY ass actor Danny Trejo (with the gravel voice and adult acne?) The Sling commercials are all stupid. And these companies pay millions of dollars to ad agencies for what? Making their product look lame, undesirable and insulting to the consumers intelligence.

• Love 3
50 minutes ago, chenoa333 said:

Is that the commercial with that UGLY ass actor Danny Trejo (with the gravel voice and adult acne?) The Sling commercials are all stupid. And these companies pay millions of dollars to ad agencies for what? Making their product look lame, undesirable and insulting to the consumers intelligence.

Aww, my friend Danny is a wonderful guy!  Very kind and generous.  I dislike the Sling commercials, though.

• Love 7
10 hours ago, Annber03 said:

I've been meaning to mention that one, too :D! Yes. I totally hear it the same way. The first time I saw that commercial I actually did a bit of a double take like, "...wait, it's got what now?" 

Well, I have heard that it's good for the skin and hair...

• Love 5
23 hours ago, NinjaPenguins said:

I remember when a Planter’s commercial had Mr. Peanut asking “Are you tired of working for peanuts?” I thought he’d asked “Are you tired of working for penis?” It’s like, well, I’ve never tried it, but it sounds intriguing. Not something I’d expect to see advertised on television though.

Well, according to a former general manager of mine, Mr. Peanut IS gay.

• Love 1