Type keyword(s) to search

Commercials That Annoy, Irritate or Outright Enrage

• Start Topic

On 10/15/2016 at 5:24 PM, Ohwell said:

The lady who says "You don't know AARP" just drives me batty.  I worked at their headquarters in DC for six years (late 80s, early 90s) and it was instilled in us to NEVER say "AARP."  We had to either say A-A-R-P or American Association of Retired Persons.  I don't know when they changed it, but every time she creeps up on the scene I change the channel.  I think she's the Executive Director.   I have never joined and I hate them now, lol.

Five or ten years ago, AARP officially changed its name to the letters (i.e., no longer AARP standing for the name American Association of Retired Persons) in an effort to seem more youthful and I think having a "fun" and "hip" pronunciation is the next step. The first step was the change from the magazine being Modern Maturity to being My Generation around the time that The Who starting hitting retirement age. 50 is the 30, or some such nonsense. (50 will always be 50. I'm freaking worn out at 45, but I know 65+ year olds who are way more vibrant than I am.)

• Love 7
22 hours ago, friendperidot said:

Phone ad - "if you're hungry for a slice of pie, why buy the whole pie?" Really, that's a comparison? First, who only wants one slice of pie? Really, who is that person? Second, you buy the whole pie because you have a slice now, a slice later, another slice later, and so on and so on. Third, maybe someone else in the house wants a slice of pie or two, or three.

I thought the idea was to have a slice on a plate, yet leave the pie on the kitchen counter, so that you can walk by and have a bite ... have a bite ... have a bite ... and slowly fork it to death.

• Love 8

The ad with the lazy, fat brat who sits on an office chair with the leaf blower and blows only in a circle, "walks" the dog by letting the dog walk on the treadmill, and, while sitting playing video games in his room, drinks the rest of his grape soda, picks up his cell phone and calls his grandmother, who is in the living room of the same fucking house, folding the brats clothes, and poor grandma has to get up, grab her cane,  walk slowly past the brats room to the kitchen.  She answers and the brat asks grandma to bring him another grape soda.  No grandma.. You go sit down. I'LL take the soda to the brat.....he won't ever do that shit again.  I guarantee it.  HATE HATE HATE.  

• Love 10
7 hours ago, St. Claire said:

Five or ten years ago, AARP officially changed its name to the letters (i.e., no longer AARP standing for the name American Association of Retired Persons) in an effort to seem more youthful and I think having a "fun" and "hip" pronunciation is the next step. The first step was the change from the magazine being Modern Maturity to being My Generation around the time that The Who starting hitting retirement age. 50 is the 30, or some such nonsense. (50 will always be 50. I'm freaking worn out at 45, but I know 65+ year olds who are way more vibrant than I am.)

The magazine's called AARP Magazine now. I hate their ad with the chick who's been asked to work on a Saturday & she brings her own doughnut.  He's apologizing for bringing her in on the weekend, her computer chimes and she chirps, "Oh, it's AARP!" ... she proceeds to tell him all she's done since joining AARP this morning at 7, including getting a free doughnut.  Got news for ya, honey, you're not getting a free doughnut until you get your snail-mailed membership card to show the Dunkin' Donuts Dude AND you have to buy a "fountain drink" - and it's never the small size that qualifies.  Just buy the damned doughnut.

There was a joke going around before bin Laden was found/killed - that if we really wanted to find him, all we had to do was tell AARP he's turning 50 soon. They'd have found him in a heartbeat & inundated him with membership applications.

Edited by Prevailing Wind
  • Love 9
2 minutes ago, forumfish said:

Great, so what does this say about me -- I turned 50 in May and have yet to receive one single piece of mail about joining AARP. I swear, I can't get arrested.

Oh, my, now you've gone and done it!  You'll be inundated now! ;)

• Love 6
10 minutes ago, forumfish said:

Great, so what does this say about me -- I turned 50 in May and have yet to receive one single piece of mail about joining AARP. I swear, I can't get arrested.

Just wait!  I got some mail from them after I turned 50, but I resisted for several years.  I finally signed up this summer - I was traveling, and the AARP discount on the hotel for 4 days was more than the cost of a year's membership, so it was a no brainer.

• Love 2

You guys, I'm scared.  The holidays are coming and I don't want to throw my TV out of my window if that annoying ass Big Lots woman is back again this year.   I'm already seeing Xmas commercials so I know she's coming and I'm skeered. 

• Love 15
On 10/19/2016 at 6:49 PM, friendperidot said:

Phone ad - "if you're hungry for a slice of pie, why buy the whole pie?" Really, that's a comparison? First, who only wants one slice of pie? Really, who is that person? Second, you buy the whole pie because you have a slice now, a slice later, another slice later, and so on and so on. Third, maybe someone else in the house wants a slice of pie or two, or three.

Well the comparison  would work  for  me, I live  alone ( exempt  for my 2 cats  and they cannot  have pie) and all I would  need is a slice of pie . I cannot  eat an entire  pie, well I can but  it would  not be a good thing . Not everyone  has a family . 

• Love 11

You guys, I'm scared.  The holidays are coming and I don't want to throw my TV out of my window if that annoying ass Big Lots woman is back again this year.   I'm already seeing Xmas commercials so I know she's coming and I'm skeered. 

As long as she doesn't bring the Target chick along with her, we might be OK.

Edited by Prevailing Wind
  • Love 2

I have come here to say how much I hate the current Volvo(?) commercial

You might be thinking of Subaru

Also, those people are way too impressed by the truck's lightly dented steel bed.

One thing that ad convinced us to do was to get a bedliner for the F150 we leased :)

• Love 3

I hate the new ad for UAE airlines featuring Jennifer Aniston acting as "co-pilot" to an extremely cloying child. I don't dislike Aniston as an actress, but she is not good at all in this commercial. And the commercial seems to last forever. 

• Love 1
35 minutes ago, friendperidot said:

But at least no one is screaming in the background "2 DAY SALE!" like the Macy's ads that annoys me with their "ONE DAY SALE!"

There's a sale at Macy's??  That's so rare!

• Love 13

Oh, god. They're back with the "In my home, imagination blah, blah, blah, but at my table I keep it real" lady is back. Yes, you feed your kids Country Crock because it's so natural.

Country Crock ingredients:

Water, Vegetable Oil Blend (Soybean Oil, Palm Oil, Palm Kernel Oil), Salt, Whey (Milk), Vegetable Mono and Diglycerides, Polyglycerol Esters of Fatty Acids (Potassium Sorbate, Calcium Disodium EDTA), Used to Protect Quality, Soy Lecithin, Lactic Acid, Artificial Flavor, Vitamin A Palmitate, Beta Carotene (Color), Cholecalciferol (Vitamin D3).

The ad even says no artificial flavors. What a crock!

Edited by peacheslatour
  • Love 8
10 hours ago, crazycatlady58 said:

Well the comparison  would work  for  me, I live  alone ( exempt  for my 2 cats  and they cannot  have pie) and all I would  need is a slice of pie . I cannot  eat an entire  pie, well I can but  it would  not be a good thing . Not everyone  has a family . 

Yeah, my husband and I like to get those tiny one-person pies because we like different kinds of pies.  They're the equivalent of one slice.  Sometimes I just eat half and save the rest for later.

• Love 3
11 hours ago, crazycatlady58 said:

42 minutes ago, janie jones said:

Yeah, my husband and I like to get those tiny one-person pies because we like different kinds of pies.  They're the equivalent of one slice.  Sometimes I just eat half and save the rest for later.

Plus, I'll get just one slice if it's some kind of pie I've never had before, but want to try. That way, if I don't like it, I'm not stuck with the remainder of an entire pie.

• Love 3
29 minutes ago, InDueTime said:

Plus, I'll get just one slice if it's some kind of pie I've never had before, but want to try. That way, if I don't like it, I'm not stuck with the remainder of an entire pie.

Is there a kind of pie that's unlikeable?  I like some kinds more than others, but all pies are wonderful -- aren't they?

• Love 7
17 hours ago, 3pwood said:

Is there a kind of pie that's unlikeable?  .....

3 hours ago, LuciaMia said:

Well, maybe mince...

That's my favorite!  I'll gladly help get rid of yours....

• Love 3
28 minutes ago, janie jones said:

I find chicken pot pie repulsive.

Basically any savory pie is not for me.

Oh, dear!  Chicken pot pie is pretty much my favorite!  Although I do love apple, and cherry, and boysenberry, and coconut cream....

The schuby, slacker Pringle loser to to get off my TV.  The one where they were trying to guess the flavors blindfolded was bad enough but I loathe the duck lips one.  I wish Bugs Bunny would show up and scream "duck season" so Elmer Fudd would drop a few rounds in em. 

• Love 8
On 10/20/2016 at 6:24 PM, ennui said:

nd slowly fork it to death.

hahahahahahaha.   the image.   the image.  

Back to the Ancestry.Com ads.   Read a fucking history book folks  (not you guys, the ancestry people).   The Romans got around, like A LOT.    They got to Eastern Europe.   That's why Romanian is one of the 5 Romance languages.    Oh gee, do you see something there Rome, Romania, Romance language.   Hmmmmm.   Maybe they're related???????   Ya think?????

Sorry that irks me even more than the guy who changed dance styles based on his supposed ancestry.

• Love 8
5 hours ago, Maverick said:

The schuby, slacker Pringle loser to to get off my TV.  The one where they were trying to guess the flavors blindfolded was bad enough but I loathe the duck lips one.  I wish Bugs Bunny would show up and scream "duck season" so Elmer Fudd would drop a few rounds in em. 

I caved and made Pringle duck lips today. It got a laugh out of my husband. I'm not proud.

• Love 9
13 hours ago, Maverick said:

Is this the one where the guy is trying to say "quack" backwards?  That part irritates me because he inserts an "r" into it.  If "quack" forwards doesn't have an "r" then why would it backwards?

• Love 3
On 10/21/2016 at 7:14 PM, ennui said:

Au contraire, butter is a wonderful thing. 

I am not understanding how any margarine we bring into the house lately refuses to melt and forms a semi-moist clot of goop that just lies there. That didn't use to happen. We are using more butter lately, it some how seems more natural and benign.  I wonder if there is any truth to the rumor that margarine is one molecule removed from plastic.....?

• Love 3

http://www.snopes.com/food/warnings/butter.asp

I had no idea there were so many claims about so many "foods" being one molecule away from plastic.  I don't care if the claims are spurious, margarine is a fake, manufactured food and I refuse to eat it.  Butter is SO much better.  And I found it stunning in the Snopes article that margarine was invented by the French!

Probably the reason your margarine isn't melting is whatever they've replaced the trans-fats with.

• Love 6

I read somewhere that the oil that is now used in some margarines are not food-quality oil; not meant for human consumption.  I think it is rape-seed oil, maybe, they use it as a solvent to clean brushes and stuff.  Correct me if I'm wrong, please.

50 minutes ago, Brattinella said:

I read somewhere that the oil that is now used in some margarines are not food-quality oil; not meant for human consumption.  I think it is rape-seed oil, maybe, they use it as a solvent to clean brushes and stuff.  Correct me if I'm wrong, please.

rape seed oil is the same as Canola oil.

• Love 3