Type keyword(s) to search

Commercials That Annoy, Irritate or Outright Enrage

• Start Topic

BA-DUM-BUM! *ching!*

What the hell? What was he trying to show the clerk, the shoe or his nasty-ass foot? Moron.

I know, right? He and his wife are looking at a model kitchen and the sales person asks if they've measured their own. The guy responds that he "paced it off" and it was "20 x 12 *feet*" at which point he takes his funky shoe off and tries to hand it to her. Aaand with a stupid whistle sound, to boot. (Bad pun intended.)

• Love 1

Had anyone mentioned the Spin Mop? That woman's voice annoys the s**t out of me and for some reason the commercial is extra extra long, like four regular commercial lengths. Instant click.

• Love 1

...I think it was about ten times for me. They need to make that way more obvious.

I enjoy the subtlety. (It was about three times for me.) I appreciate it when they don't treat me as a simpleton. That commercial cracks me up now and I look out for it, so... job accomplished, I guess.

• Love 3
(edited)

Had anyone mentioned the Spin Mop? That woman's voice annoys the s**t out of me and for some reason the commercial is extra extra long, like four regular commercial lengths. Instant click.

Haven't seen the spin mop one, but thanks for the warning about the woman's voice. I seem to have some kind of trigger with certain voice pitches that irritate the crap out of me so now I can watch out for it and be on guard.

And what is up with those extra long commercials anyway? Sometimes they go on and on and I forget what show I'm actually watching. Rosetta Stone, Dragon speech to text software, and some kind of weight loss pill are the culprits that come to mind so far.

Edited by lachesis

Haven't seen the spin mop one, but thanks for the warning about the woman's voice. I seem to have some kind of trigger with certain voice pitches that irritate the crap out of me so now I can watch out for it and be on guard.

And what is up with those extra long commercials anyway? Sometimes they go on and on and I forget what show I'm actually watching. Rosetta Stone, Dragon speech to text software, and some kind of weight loss pill are the culprits that come to mind so far.

There is a radio ad for some weight loss pill that is "only for those that need to lose 30 pounds or more" and I can't decide if I hate it or if its hilarious.  Its such a mindfuck.  Its like "well you can only take this pill if you really need to lose weight, if you only need to lose like two pounds, don't take this pill....if you lose too much weight, only take half a pill"  And the woman has a deadly serious voice, I mean she is really selling it!  and I'm just marveling because I'm about 99% sure that the diet pill is probably like every other diet pill out there that makes you lose minimal weight, at best, and I know people are running to their phone because "well this pill must be serious, its only for people who have to lose 30 pounds or more!"

I don't need a KITCHEN kitchen if I'm staying at a hotel. And Sunny doesn't need to SHOUT shout at me about it.

If you have a kitchen kitchen, do you do twice as much mopping?

When the spelling ad for COPD came on during Jeopardy! yesterday, I did actually say out loud to the TV, "F.O.A.D. with your C.O.P.D."  I felt so much better after that. R.O.F.L.

L.M.A.O.

• Love 2

I think it's supposed to be chirpy and pleasant but UGH! Kind of Minnie Mouse. At the end a generic tv announcer male voice gives the phone number which is a relief... until he repeats the number about 5000 times.

God, Alyssa Milano is back droning about UNICEF. I thought they'd finally stopped running those ads, but it looks like I was wrong. I hate her anyway (don't ask), and her monotone drives me nuckin' futs. Plus she says 'kore-ters' instead of 'quarters'. HATE!

• Love 1

I can't remember if anyone posted about the Red Robin baby-voiced lady, but she's on my list. Something about the way she pronounces the word "burger" bugs me. As does her voice, in general. There's an old commercial where she's talking shit to a display cake and she's all defensive because she's trying to lose weight. The clerk has to come intervene and tell her it's okay, there's a low-calorie option, blah blah. Or the commercial where she is busted for having entered her Fiber One bars in contests as her own. Take your pick; they're all grating.

• Love 1

I can't remember if anyone posted about the Red Robin baby-voiced lady, but she's on my list. Something about the way she pronounces the word "burger" bugs me. As does her voice, in general. There's an old commercial where she's talking shit to a display cake and she's all defensive because she's trying to lose weight. The clerk has to come intervene and tell her it's okay, there's a low-calorie option, blah blah. Or the commercial where she is busted for having entered her Fiber One bars in contests as her own. Take your pick; they're all grating.

Okay, I must defend her. For some reason I find her very sexy. She does these mattress commercials and they show a shot of her from behind laying on the mattress. Boy does she look shapely.

God, Alyssa Milano is back droning about UNICEF. I thought they'd finally stopped running those ads, but it looks like I was wrong. I hate her anyway (don't ask), and her monotone drives me nuckin' futs. Plus she says 'kore-ters' instead of 'quarters'. HATE!

Between this commercial, the one with the old guy and the children with the bad drinking water, and the abused pet commercials. If I had not desensitize my self by hardening my heart. Late night television watching would have turned me into a sobbing broke mess.

Okay, I must defend her. For some reason I find her very sexy. She does these mattress commercials and they show a shot of her from behind laying on the mattress. Boy does she look shapely.

Between this commercial, the one with the old guy and the children with the bad drinking water, and the abused pet commercials. If I had not desensitize my self by hardening my heart. Late night television watching would have turned me into a sobbing broke mess.

I've seen that mattress commercial too and she certainly is a curvy lady. And I liked that there was a depiction of a *regular* butt and hips. She's got a cute face and a cute pixie haircut. I just need her to not talk.

In other news, I hate that motherfucker who wants "frog protection."  Why the hell would a credit card company protect your frog, idiot?  And it doesn't even tell you anything about whatever card it is.  Doesn't everyone offer fraud protection?

If he bought the frog with his card, it could be covered under purchase protection.  Fraud protection services vary even among the same issuer.

Can anyone tell me the nationality of that lady with the short blonde hair shilling for Nature Made?  English is NOT her first language, but it's not that pronounced of an accent.  She doesn't sound like foreign-accented English, she just sounds weird.  Cause, y'know, the vitamins are rated by USPeeeee.  (And WTH is USP?  I'll bet it's for-profit, non-govt agency who just stuck "US" onto its name to fool the public.)

• Love 1

Or have your name shortened to only have four letters in it before hand.

I think if I said M-U-F-F has C-O-P-D people would think I was N-U-T-S.  After all, my muff doesn't have trouble breathing.  

That Car Loan Pal commercial get on my nerves. The one where the white boy in a beat up old car asks out a black woman and she turns him down because of the car he's driving. He goes "Bad credit, you're ruining my game!" Uhh we can't blame your credit on you not being able to pick up a girl. There are plenty of people with bad credit and bad cars that can pick up people, believe me we've all seen it. Has he ever thought that what's ruining his game is that damn mop on his head and the fact that one side of his face has acne?

The simple fact that he does a car loan thing and the woman ends up being in his car in the end, he doesn't pick up the fact that this woman is a snob. She didn't want you because you had an ugly car but since you're now driving a nicer car she hops right on in. He also doesn't seem to notice that she doesn't have a car since he tried picking her up while she was walking down the sidewalk. All she's looking for is a free ride in a nice car and he's a sucker for it. What happens if he can't pay back the loan and this new car is taken away? That woman will be saying Bye Bye. There's a reason why he has bad credit, let's think here.

Perhaps she is a prostitute that only does it in cars of a certain quality? 

• Love 1

I think if I said M-U-F-F has C-O-P-D people would think I was N-U-T-S.  After all, my muff doesn't have trouble breathing.  

I wonder what kind of doctor you'd have to go to if it did. And whether or not you could get a quote on Esurance to pay for the visit.

• Love 3

Can anyone tell me the nationality of that lady with the short blonde hair shilling for Nature Made?  English is NOT her first language, but it's not that pronounced of an accent.  She doesn't sound like foreign-accented English, she just sounds weird.  Cause, y'know, the vitamins are rated by USPeeeee.  (And WTH is USP?  I'll bet it's for-profit, non-govt agency who just stuck "US" onto its name to fool the public.)

LOL - its probably an LLC owned by NatureMade :)

Perhaps she is a prostitute that only does it in cars of a certain quality? 

We all have our standards, and I'm not one to judge hers.  However, if I were a hooker, I would want a guy with a good credit score, because it means he is going to be able to pay or if he doesn't, I can threaten to ruin his credit score.  A guy in an awesome car with bad credit is probably paying all his money in interest fees, not hooker fees.

I wonder what kind of doctor you'd have to go to if it did. And whether or not you could get a quote on Esurance to pay for the visit.

Thats not how it works, thats not how any of this works! :)

• Love 4

I also hate the one with the sisters, where the rep doesn't realize she's talking to her own twin until she says 'Awesomesauce!" The rep says something stupid about how her twin says it in just that way, and then she says, "Juleee?!" Ugh.

Maybe she was too embarrassed to admit working on the phone for Discover Card and told everyone she worked for a phone sex place?
  • Love 2

There was one with twin sisters and the caller was surprised when the rep says something that only her twin says. They then squeal each other's names in surprise. So, the caller doesn't know where her sister works? <rolleyes>

That's the one where they cast an Indian-looking woman, right? They might not talk much if one of them is in Bangalore.

(edited)

They might not talk much if one of them is in Bangalore.

Then one of them needs to Vonage so they can talk all they want.

What I hate is that in the original, the one who works for Discover asks how she sounds and the other one snots back "professional for once." or something like that.   Way to be supportive of your twin.

Edited by merylinkid

Official Recognition

The U.S. Federal Food, Drug, and Cosmetics Act designates the USP–NF as official compendia for drugs marketed in the United States. A drug product in the U.S. market must conform to the standards in USP–NF to avoid possible charges of adulteration and misbranding.

www.usp.org/usp-nf

Thats not how it works, thats not how any of this works! :)

Sorry, I must have taken a detour into Beatrice's world for a minute. :-)

This may be one time that Esurance responds "um" or "no comment" ;)

Or the rep will probably wonder why they didn't listen to their guidance counselor and go into retail.

There's an ad for the KFC five dollar fill up box that Hulu has decided I need to see multiple times a day. It's a reasonably innocuous, ignorable commercial with two guys pretending to sound like normal people as they talk up the product. I have nothing against the first 29 seconds of it at all. And then at the very end they click their sporks together and exclaim "Spork!" before starting to eat, and suddenly I hate them with a burning and undying passion.

• Love 2
(edited)

Muffyn, on 17 Jul 2014 - 11:30 PM, said:

I think if I said M-U-F-F has C-O-P-D people would think I was N-U-T-S.  After all, my muff doesn't have trouble breathing.

You can bet Hobby Lobby ain't payin' for it.

PS - Thanks for the USP-NF link.

Edited by Prevailing Wind
  • Love 3

That's the one where they cast an Indian-looking woman, right? They might not talk much if one of them is in Bangalore.

Then one of them needs to Vonage so they can talk all they want.

What I hate is that in the original, the one who works for Discover asks how she sounds and the other one snots back "professional for once." or something like that.   Way to be supportive of your twin.

These are both the same commercial.

Speaking of made-up problems: "nose-blindness"?!? So now I'm supposed to spray my house obsessively with Febreeze on the off chance that there's a horrible smell that I can't personally appreciate? Seriously?

• Love 1

I believe huffing is trying for mainstream appeal now. Why else have so many companies tried to get us to super-deeply inhale-nay, huff- their scents, even though it's in cleaning products and bleaches?

• Love 3
(edited)

Speaking of made-up problems: "nose-blindness"?!? So now I'm supposed to spray my house obsessively with Febreeze on the off chance that there's a horrible smell that I can't personally appreciate? Seriously?

I saw a commercial about that tonight, but it was for the car; the car apparently smelled so much like the driver's dog that the poor passenger imagined that the whole car turned into a dog (like the car in Dumb & Dumber) when the she got in. The way I feel about it is this: it's *my* car that I paid for, and I alone drive and ride in it 99% of the time. If it smells like farts, too bad. Get a ride with someone else.

And let's just be honest, it *does* smell like farts. My nose isn't "blind" to it, but just doesn't care.

Edited by bilgistic
  • Love 3

There's an ad for the KFC five dollar fill up box that Hulu has decided I need to see multiple times a day. It's a reasonably innocuous, ignorable commercial with two guys pretending to sound like normal people as they talk up the product. I have nothing against the first 29 seconds of it at all. And then at the very end they click their sporks together and exclaim "Spork!" before starting to eat, and suddenly I hate them with a burning and undying passion.

That makes it sound like they are about to have some sort of freaky sex.  Well, to me...but my mind lives in the gutter so....

I saw a commercial about that tonight, but it was for the car; the car apparently smelled so much like the driver's dog that the poor passenger imagined that the whole car turned into a dog (like the car in Dumb & Dumber) when the she got in. The way I feel about it is this: it's *my* car that I paid for, and I alone drive and ride in it 99% of the time. If it smells like farts, too bad. Get a ride with someone else.

And let's just be honest, it *does* smell like farts. My nose isn't "blind" to it, but just doesn't care.

Whatever Febreeze, everyones nose gets used to a certain odor after like 10 minutes, its changes in odors that we detect.  Although there was this one time I took the Eurostar from London to Paris (a 4 hour trip) and was sitting next to a french lady who I swear to you hadn't showered in a few days, hadn't bothered with deodorant, drank all the coffee and smoked all the cigarettes and then decided to try to cover it all up in horrible old lady perfume.  That was a four hour olfactory assault.  If the French had fought off the Germans with that stink, America may not have needed to play such a role in WWII.

• Love 3

It's not just Hulu that's running it, I saw it like five frigging times while I was watching the Criminal Minds block on A & E last night. I wanted to 'spork' both those fuckers after the fifth time.

Whatever Febreeze, everyones nose gets used to a certain odor after like 10 minutes, its changes in odors that we detect.  Although there was this one time I took the Eurostar from London to Paris (a 4 hour trip) and was sitting next to a french lady who I swear to you hadn't showered in a few days, hadn't bothered with deodorant, drank all the coffee and smoked all the cigarettes and then decided to try to cover it all up in horrible old lady perfume.  That was a four hour olfactory assault.  If the French had fought off the Germans with that stink, America may not have needed to play such a role in WWII.

I have a friend who lives in New York, and he has to take the subway back and forth to get to work. Trust me, you don't have to go abroad to be around people who don't bathe. To hear him tell it, I'm surprised they don't offer complimentary Febreeze with your pass.

It's not just Hulu that's running it, I saw it like five frigging times while I was watching the Criminal Minds block on A & E last night. I wanted to 'spork' both those fuckers after the fifth time.

I have a friend who lives in New York, and he has to take the subway back and forth to get to work. Trust me, you don't have to go abroad to be around people who don't bathe. To hear him tell it, I'm surprised they don't offer complimentary Febreeze with your pass.

LMAO at Febreeze with your pass, I think you could be onto something!  To be fair, because I try real hard not to judge those who just don't have the means to take a shower, but she apparently had purchased all the cigarettes, cheap perfume and coffee so I know she could have found a place to hose down.  Even a birdbath in a public restroom would have helped the situation.  But the cheap perfume is what really was the icing on the cake.  My nose would have eventually gotten used to the stink of the bo + cigarettes + coffee, but it was the covering of it all with the stink of cheap old lady perfume.  I still remember spending the better part of four hours wondering if there was any way I could survive jumping from a train window going like 100 mph, and another hour into the ride I might have thought the risk was worth it.  By the time we got off the train my eyes were watering.

• Love 2

If you have a cat, yes please? On the one hand, Febreeze does not work the way they say it does, which bums me out. And they probably are trying a bit here to instill the fear of bad smells you're too used to to even notice anymore. That said, I also sort of feel like I love the pseudo-public service this one puts out there specifically to people with cats who don't realize or don't believe that they, their entire house, all their clothes, everything constantly smells of cat. It's also a reason I can't stand the littler box commercials that are all "this makes it not smell therefore no one will know you have a cat" when it's not the presence of the litter box (or at least not that alone) that makes cat owners' homes conspicuosly cat-ey. The cats themselves just...have cat smell. It's not something that can be avoided. It's one thing if you have a cat and you know that and don't mind and it's your space so do what you want. But for those handful who really are completely unaware, if that commercial makes them realize, then...I like it for that. I'm not saying I hope those people go out and buy Febreeze because I don't think it'll actually help, but hey, spreading awareness.

• Love 2

Hey Jimmy!!!  Grandma waiting on hold on the phone with your insurance company.  I'm pretty sure that is doing something.  Meanwhile you stand there all grumpy faced like you just shit your pants and don't do a fucking thing. So the rapid undercurrent of hate for the old lady just boils my blood.   God I hate that insurance commercial.  Why they think that petulant shit makes for a strong plug for their product is beyond me.

I thought Amazon had peaked in their loathsome ads with the over flared nostrils guy and his creepy fetish for the Kindle Fire Mayday help rep.  Now we have two nine year old cretins in making with their overpriced phones talking about pinterest and Amazon prime.  Make it go away.  In the meantime I want SNL to do a spoof where the kid finds tumblr and all the things his nine years on this earth and he has never seen the like of that!  Yeah that phone your kid doesn't need sure makes searches for "anal plug vine" sooo easy Amazon.

• Love 4

I just saw two commercials for Oxi-Cut weight loss mumbo jumbo.  In both ads, the Before image is of a woman in a bikini showing us what her very attractive, not at all obese, body looks like.  The After image, both women were fully clothed.  If you want us to know how good your product really is, shouldn't you show us the After images in the same bikinis?

• Love 2

I have a question - does anyone here know their credit score right off the top of their head? Because I don't. When Idiot # 1 and Idiot # 2 are sitting on that park bench and the second idiot starts monotoning about how important it is to have that information because "Don't you want to buy a house one day?" I wonder if this is something I need to memorize in case the need for it comes up. Is it the equivalent of wearing good underwear in case you get hit by a car?

• Love 2

The only time I knew my scores--there are 3 major companies that calculate credit scores--was 10 years ago when I was thinking of buying a new car. Your score can get you better interest rates on financing. Since then, I haven't bothered.

The one time I checked my score, it wasn't as high as I thought it should be. Two of the reasons: Too much available credit.  Too much debt to credit ratio.  Huh?  How can I have BOTH?  If I have too much debt, how can I have too much credit available?  I decided the whole thing was nonsense and forgot about it.

• Love 2
(edited)

If you have a cat, yes please? On the one hand, Febreeze does not work the way they say it does, which bums me out. And they probably are trying a bit here to instill the fear of bad smells you're too used to to even notice anymore. That said, I also sort of feel like I love the pseudo-public service this one puts out there specifically to people with cats who don't realize or don't believe that they, their entire house, all their clothes, everything constantly smells of cat. It's also a reason I can't stand the littler box commercials that are all "this makes it not smell therefore no one will know you have a cat" when it's not the presence of the litter box (or at least not that alone) that makes cat owners' homes conspicuosly cat-ey. The cats themselves just...have cat smell. It's not something that can be avoided. It's one thing if you have a cat and you know that and don't mind and it's your space so do what you want. But for those handful who really are completely unaware, if that commercial makes them realize, then...I like it for that. I'm not saying I hope those people go out and buy Febreeze because I don't think it'll actually help, but hey, spreading awareness.

Yes! I have a cat, and this year she's had more medical issues than usual, so I'm always sniffing our house and such for the odors because you can get used to them. We went to the beach last week, so we were out of our house for six days. When we got back and walked in, it smelled fine, so I'm assuming we're doing OK.  Several years back, Mr. Tanyak and I went to a party and when we walked in the door, we just about fell over from stench of the host's cats. Luckily, it was an indoor-outdoor party, and we spent most of our time outdoors. When we got home, our clothes and us STANK. And I truly believe the host had NO idea how bad her house smelled. So the Febreeze commercial about the cat makes me laugh, although Febreeze wouldn't have even began to touch the funk in that house. 

Edited by tanyak
I wonder if this is something I need to memorize in case the need for it comes up. Is it the equivalent of wearing good underwear in case you get hit by a car?

I don't think most people not in the midst of shopping for a loan of some sort know their credit score, certainly not on a day to day basis. I agree it's weird of the commercial to imply that people either do or should. The main reasons to be aware of it are: a) you're shopping for a loan now or will be soon (and in the case of "will be soon" it's so if it's not great you can do things to try to make it better, although really, folks should be doing that anyway and if you know you missed a payment or something you presumably should also know that's bad and you need to be on time about everything for several months more to improve your score, blah blah blah) and b) to make sure you haven't been a victim of identity theft or other wrongnesses. But there are credit monitoring services offered with most major credit cards. So, if you're concerned and don't want to know that info yourself, you can use of of those and they alert your to red flags.

Plus lots of things impact the score, including checking it, so it's not like you'd want to run your own constantly. But if you ran it six months ago, it might not be exactly the same now as it was then. So even the concept of "knowing your credit score" as if it's like knowing your shoe size, is weird conceptually.

So even the concept of "knowing your credit score" as if it's like knowing your shoe size, is weird conceptually.

Exactly - it changes constantly depending on a million factors. Hilariously, the whole concept of their product centers around that fluidity ("keep rechecking your score in case someone jacked your personal info and ruined your credit!"). There wouldn't be much to worry about if the score couldn't be changed.

• Love 2
(edited)
And WTH is USP?  I'll bet it's for-profit, non-govt agency who just stuck "US" onto its name to fool the public.)

LOL - its probably an LLC owned by NatureMade :)

I actually work for USP, and we are non-governmental, but we are a not for profit with headquarters in the US but offices around the world. The publications we have (USP and NF) are actually for the testing of pharmaceutical products as called for the in the FD&C Act. The program that NatureMade participates in is a voluntary testing program that provides companies the right to make purity and identification claims (i.e., the ingredients listed on the label are actually in it in the amount stated, there aren't other contaminants, the supplements are manufactured according to GMPs). That said, that woman's voice annoys me. The first commercial had a different woman, but it irked me a bit because it sounded like she was saying that the NM supplements adhered to "USB" program requirements. 

Edited by St. Claire
  • Love 2

I have a question - does anyone here know their credit score right off the top of their head?

I do, because it's included on my Discover statement every month. Awesomesauce!

There's this commercial for flood insurance that has a visual of flood damage at the baseboard inside of someone's house, and various voice-overs lamenting the fact that they did not have flood insurance. That last one, a lady, says "We don't even live near the water!" That always cracks me up! If they don't live near the water how did their house get flooded? I mean, maybe the water heater broke or something, but if it's an appliance flooding why would she bother to say she didn't live near the water when that's obviously not what caused the flood? Maybe they live in a real low-lying area or something, but still.

• Love 3

I do, because it's included on my Discover statement every month. Awesomesauce!

There's this commercial for flood insurance that has a visual of flood damage at the baseboard inside of someone's house, and various voice-overs lamenting the fact that they did not have flood insurance. That last one, a lady, says "We don't even live near the water!" That always cracks me up! If they don't live near the water how did their house get flooded? I mean, maybe the water heater broke or something, but if it's an appliance flooding why would she bother to say she didn't live near the water when that's obviously not what caused the flood? Maybe they live in a real low-lying area or something, but still.

Well, here in Florida we have these things call wet lands. However because some of them are just sort of wet most of the time. Developers have them declared not wet lands. They build a couple of retention ponds, then develop the hell out of the area. Everything is find until there is a hurricane. Then the sort of wet lands become very wet lands. The streets are under 3 ft. of water and your house has about 1ft of water in it. It is truly funny you live in an area for 30 years you know the areas that are prone to flooding every few years. Then one day you drive by and there is a housing development there and you chuckle a little.

• Love 1