Type keyword(s) to search

S11.E11: Judge Cuts 4

• Start Topic

(edited)

If you want to know how the magic tricks like The Clairvoyants are done, go to YouTube and type in  " (name of act) revealed".  Some of you were on the right track.  Others are on there, too.  Rubik's Cube, Quick Change, etc.

Edited by Babalooie
  • Love 3
30 minutes ago, Babalooie said:

If you want to know how the magic tricks like The Clairvoyants are done, go to YouTube and type in  " (name of act) revealed".  Some of you were on the right track.  Others are on there, too.  Rubik's Cube, Quick Change, etc.

Thank you, that was bothering me. Although this time around it looked like Tommy (?) didn't look at the money from Simon--he had it facing Simon. No way I could remember a number that long that quickly so good for him!

This is my first time watching AGT; so many episodes devoted to auditions! I do hope they bring back Rubik's Cube guy. I really, really like the juggler guy. And he's pretty handsome without the weird makeup, too.

• Love 2
48 minutes ago, Hook75 said:

I didn't see This act in any of the Judge Cuts shows. Did I miss it? 

No they didn't perform, neither did the Japanese drone act which is a bummer because I was looking forward to both.  My guess is visa issues (or even maybe injury for the russian bar trio).

4 hours ago, Babalooie said:

I had been thinking of various possibilities of how the tricks were done, and I was annoyed by Simon and Howie being SO shocked and impressed with that act.   It was clever, sure, but certainly we all knew there was SOME  kind of trick involved. 

• Love 1

I have to say how impressed I was with Louis whatever his name is.  I expected a vapid fool ala Beiber but he was kind and put together, I thought. 

Not gonna lie, I sobbed over both of the singers with issues.  Girl who loves mom and has no home, and boy trying to make birth mom proud.  Girl was clearly better than he was, singing-wise, but he will have a future if he keeps at it.  14 is a rough time for male voices.....

• Love 3

I love the reaction of the girl who received the golden buzzer.   She was so excited about getting a hug from the one direction guy.  Her mom tried so hard to shush her a hide it from camera LOL.  

• Love 2
12 hours ago, Hook75 said:

I didn't see This act in any of the Judge Cuts shows. Did I miss it? 

Russian Bar Trio posted on their Facebook page that they couldn't continue due to scheduling conflicts. 

And I checked elevenplay (drones) Twitter but unfortunately it's in Japanese. 

• Love 1
(edited)

So yet again a young girl singer gets the Golden Buzzer. And like the others, I thought she was okay but not deserving of that much praise. Simon's "you just stood this whole competition on its ear" was really over-the-top. Now I wonder who they're going to be pimping more, this girl or "the next Taylor Swift."

It was more grading on a curve for  kids, because she had serious pitch issues. And I've come to loathe that song, which gets done in every singing competition whenever someone wants to go all inspirational. (It used to be "The Climb.") Her "he hugged me" over and over was weird. She just got put directly into the lives and that's what's exciting to her? What happened to helping her mother get a place to live?

Why can't one of the acrobatic or danger acts ever get a golden buzzer? They could use the break of not having to come up with something new every week. The singers just need to sing a different song. And given how young they are, they could use the experience.

I was struck by how many of these acts we'd not seen during the auditions. The female dancer with the muscles. Several singers, including the 14 year old who sang to his mother. (A bit shaky, but the kid is really talented. I thought he was more interesting than the girl who got the GB). That long haired "magician" who got buzzed was terrible. I can't imagine his audition being good enough to get put through.

In addition to the Russian Bar people and the Japanese drone act, I believe there were some others we did not see in the judges cuts. The group of old dancers, the sword swallower, a dog act, the piano playing twins. Maybe some others.

I felt bad for the acts who had good auditions and then totally bombed. With the actuary who played the electronic instrument, the judges have no one to blame but themselves for putting him through the first time. And I thought the 82 year old who screams metal was terrible in his first audition and terrible again. Similar to the kids, if you're old enough you also get judged by a different set of standards. It's actually kind of condescending. If he was 40 with that act he'd have gotten buzzed off the stage.

Thank goodness they didn't take the 6 year old comedian. (Actually, the line about Girl Scout cookies was kind of funny, but I'm sure his parents wrote his act).

Edited by bluepiano
  • Love 2
(edited)
15 hours ago, Babalooie said:

Thanks. Their trick is as impressive as the act!  I cannot imagine how long it took to get that down.  I think they probably have simple more direct codes for common objects he would find in an audience pocket. 

I also watched tape mouth (Sam Wills) other acts in other venues on youtube.  I think we saw the best he had.  The others are good but not great. 

Edited by wings707
  • Love 1
(edited)

I want to believe magicians are really magic. No way do I want to see anything that spoils this belief for me. So, I believe that woman really can read minds and see hidden objects. There were several people shown on stage at the end whom I couldn't remember seeing before. Either they weren't shown or their acts were so forgettable that I forgot them. Neither is a good omen. As for the Golden Buzzer, were they all singers, except for the Argentinian God Dancing Men? I wonder if the singers here failed to get on The Voice since I'd think a singer would rather get on a singing competition. And yeah, I would have voted for the black kid with the two dads. I thought he was super.

Edited by saber5055
  • Love 2

The best act of the night? The Clairvoyants.

The act I'm glad that didn't go through? The 14 year old looking for his mom. The show didn't need yet another act going through because of their sob story.

The kid act I'm glad didn't through? That 6year old comedian. His jokes weren't funny.

The golden buzzer girl I thought was great! Great voice! Now...about that hair.

I'm still hoping there is no wild cards.

Until next time.....

(edited)
2 hours ago, saber5055 said:

As for the Golden Buzzer, were they all singers, except for the Argentinian God Dancing Men? I wonder if the singers here failed to get on The Voice since I'd think a singer would rather get on a singing competition. And yeah, I would have voted for the black kid with the two dads. I thought he was super.

I just remembered that Sofie Dossi, the contortionist/gymnast, got a Golden Buzzer from Reba. And Dorothy Williams, the 90 year old "dancer" got the GB from Nick. What a waste of a pick that was, as she clearly has no chance to go further.

Looking at the list of contestants still in the competition on the official AGT website, I see Flip and Steven Brundage. Didn't both of those get cut by the judges? Are they wild card picks, or substitutes for other acts that had to drop out?

Of the 36 acts shown, 11 are singers (or vocal groups), almost one third. Too many for my taste. And 6 of the 11 are kids.

Edited by bluepiano
  • Love 4
1 hour ago, bluepiano said:

And I thought the 82 year old who screams metal was terrible in his first audition and terrible again. Similar to the kids, if you're old enough you also get judged by a different set of standards. It's actually kind of condescending. If he was 40 with that act he'd have gotten buzzed off the stage.

I can't agree more. Age (or youth) shouldn't account for more than 5% of the act. If the whole act is "look, he's old & he's screaming metal" or "look, he's adorable and saying stuff" it's disrespectful to everyone involved. 

• Love 6

Of the 36 acts shown, 11 are singers (or vocal groups), almost one third. Too many for my taste. And 6 of the 11 are kids.

If I wanted to watch singers, I'd watch one of the many, many singing shows. I think singing should not be allowed on this show.

They can do X factor Junior or something for all those young singers.

• Love 4

But as has been said before, there are NOT "many many singing shows"! The Voice is the only one that's left! This statement may have been true when AGT first started, but not anymore.  And if I'm going to forced to watch a wanna-be stripper shaking her fat ruffled ass, and a old man shouting a heavy metal song, I think people can suffer through a singer now and then!

• Love 4

I guarantee if golden buzzer girl didn't have a back story she would have NEVER gotten the golden buzzer. The song was boring, her voice was good but not great and her stage presence is severely lacking. The 6yr old comedian was cute but this is not the competition for him. They really need to put an age limit on this show. I don't want to see a bunch of kids make it through over adults that are either much better or do something that is actually entertaining.  I didn't watch most of the shows this week because I hate George Lopez and cannot stand anyone from fucking 1 crap ass direction. 

These Judges Cuts are very much a disservice to the "pity acts", the ones that got through to this stage out of some misplaced sense of being nice. Acts such as the tasseled woman and her Elvis-lite husband, the elderly acts, the kiddie acts, the man playing the odd instrument, etc. To make these folks come back on stage and perform again when, clearly, they are not worthy is embarrassing and cruel. I wish they would cull these acts before the second audition and tell them something like, "Now that we have gone through the initial auditions, we have reviewed all the passed through acts and selected those we feel are truly worthy of a being part of the second auditions. Unfortunately, you were not selected to continue." Or some such, done as a group ala American Idol. Allow these folks some shred of dignity, even if they don't have the sense to have it for themselves.  It was clear from the theater audience, who would not have seen these acts before, that many times the audience had a general WTF? when seeing a performer. And NO judges Xs during a performance at this stage; you fool judges put these people through, the least you can do is not further humiliate them. 

• Love 4
2 hours ago, Hook75 said:

If I wanted to watch singers, I'd watch one of the many, many singing shows. I think singing should not be allowed on this show.

They can do X factor Junior or something for all those young singers.

Ok, name at lest 5 singing shows CURRENTLY on this season or scheduled for next season. I'll help with at least one,

1. The Voice

• Love 2

Maybe the reason why there aren't many singing shows anymore is because people are sick of it? I know I am. Maybe I am the only one but I am not watching this show for the singers and I hate that good & entertaining acts were cut for them. JMO.

• Love 8
(edited)
1 hour ago, Juneau Gal said:

.Allow these folks some shred of dignity, even if they don't have the sense to have it for themselves.  It was clear from the theater audience, who would not have seen these acts before, that many times the audience had a general WTF? when seeing a performer. And NO judges Xs during a performance at this stage; you fool judges put these people through, the least you can do is not further humiliate them. 

Well, I guess that's the bargain with the devil you make in return for your 5 minutes of fame. But I think you had a very good suggestion about doing a montage of the acts that really bombed. Of course, certain acts should not have been put through in the first place, because they were clearly one joke acts. Once you've gotten the initial surprise jolt from seeing an 82 year old screaming metal, or 90 year old "stripper," or dancing dog, you don't really need to see it again.

Last year Howard was pushing that little girl singing metal (while her brother flailed away on the drums). I was hoping that Simon would be harder on these Gong Show type acts, but he loved the metal grandpa. And seemed to like the guy pulled things with his nipples.

I wouldn't have an issue with the number of singers if I thought they were outstanding. But more than half the singing acts left standing are kids, and they all have flaws that would not be overlooked if they were adults. (Or if they didn't have sad back stories).

And I'm not feeling any of the adult singers either. They all seem pretty mediocre. Sal, who couldn't even get past group week on American Idol, gets a Golden Buzzer? He has a decent voice, but I'm not even sure if his act is being a singer or a Sinatra impersonator. I think the reason he got the buzzer is because they see him as being an amusing character, with his Rat Pack wannabe personality. But that's not the same thing as talent.

Edited by bluepiano
  • Love 1
23 hours ago, Babalooie said:

I could watch the quick change artist emerge from a cloud of GLITTER in a different outfit, all night long.  I don't know why there aren't any clothes left lying around on the stage floor--is that a clue?!?  I'm amazed and mystified.

But for now, I'm resisting the temptation of YouTube--being amazed and mystified is very enjoyable, especially for those of us at the cynical end of the spectrum.

• Love 3
3 hours ago, candall said:

I could watch the quick change artist emerge from a cloud of GLITTER in a different outfit, all night long.  I don't know why there aren't any clothes left lying around on the stage floor--is that a clue?!?  I'm amazed and mystified.

But for now, I'm resisting the temptation of YouTube--being amazed and mystified is very enjoyable, especially for those of us at the cynical end of the spectrum.

I watched a YouTube video showing how quick change artists do it, but it only increased my admiration for Sos and Victoria. I became aware of how perfect the timing has to be, and that they are doing something that takes tons of concentration but making it look natural and effortless.

• Love 1
On 6/29/2016 at 8:05 AM, Drogo said:

Judges push their favorites through to the top 36. A guest judge has control of the golden buzzer.

19 hours ago, bluepiano said:

I am having trouble understanding where the "36" is coming from.  There are 4 Judge Cuts episodes, with 7 acts chosen in each: 4x7=28

There were 5 Golden Buzzer acts chosen in the audition rounds: 28+5=33

How do they get from 33 to 36?  

I was bored during the first part of The Outlawz, but I thought the stuff with the spotlights was pretty cool. But I don't need to see them again. And Flip is just a carbon copy of last year's DM Nation.

Golden buzzer for Jayna? Really? Meh.

Contortionist guy - one backbend and he stopped? lol what?

The Barron could be the unexpected winner of the show? Is Simon on drugs?

Wish we could've seen more of DJ Demers.

And as usual with AGT, the biggest magic trick of the season is how many acts disappeared between the first and second rounds.

3 hours ago, needschocolate said:

I am having trouble understanding where the "36" is coming from.  There are 4 Judge Cuts episodes, with 7 acts chosen in each: 4x7=28

There were 5 Golden Buzzer acts chosen in the audition rounds: 28+5=33

How do they get from 33 to 36?  

They announced three wildcards - Steven Brundage (!!!), Flip, and Sila Sveta.

• Love 3
(edited)
3 hours ago, UsernameGoesHere said:

And Flip is just a carbon copy of last year's DM Nation.

Not a surprise, since they come out of the same Quebec dance studio. So they are kind of DM Nation 2.0.

IMO, they didn't do anything we haven't seen many times before from other hip hop dance troupes. These groups are all kind of boring to me. I could see why Outlawz was chosen over them, because while they're not the greatest dancers there was more originality to their routine.

But then they gave Flip one of the wild cards. I think there were other acts more deserving. But over the years the judges seem to love these dance troupes.

Edited by bluepiano
  • Love 1

I watched a YouTube video showing how quick change artists do it, but it only increased my admiration for Sos and Victoria. I became aware of how perfect the timing has to be, and that they are doing something that takes tons of concentration but making it look natural and effortless.

Also, they design and construct their own costumes, which takes a lot of skill.

• Love 1
4 hours ago, UsernameGoesHere said:

I was bored during the first part of The Outlawz, but I thought the stuff with the spotlights was pretty cool. But I don't need to see them again. And Flip is just a carbon copy of last year's DM Nation.

Golden buzzer for Jayna? Really? Meh.

Contortionist guy - one backbend and he stopped? lol what?

The Barron could be the unexpected winner of the show? Is Simon on drugs?

Wish we could've seen more of DJ Demers.

And as usual with AGT, the biggest magic trick of the season is how many acts disappeared between the first and second rounds.

They announced three wildcards - Steven Brundage (!!!), Flip, and Sila Sveta.

When did they announce the WCs?

• Love 1

I sometimes think that the acts who had previous great auditions come back and suck because they're purposely throwing their next audition.  I'm not sure why they do it - unless there is a contract issue and they don't want to be owned by AGT. 

• Love 2

I'm okay with singers since they are not the usual opera singers and the usual WGWGs. I wish there weren't SO MANY young ones, but it is what it is. At least there's not a middling country singer who gets way farther than he should.

And let's be honest: Simon picks those acts that no one else likes or no one else can figure out WHY HE likes them, so they will get sent home and they can, hopefully (he's thinking), anoint a singer as champion again this year.

I like Jayna's "sob story." She doesn't complain they have no home of their own and seems grateful that they are able to stay with relatives and friends. She doesn't appear to be whining or oh poor me'ing. She's just as good as some of the other singers they sent through, who also got golden buzzers, so meh.

I like the young man from OKC - we spent 13 years there and I sometimes think if it as "almost home" - but I didn't care for the pain-filled yearning for his birth mother. I thought it was really close to disrespectful for the two dads who raised him. You could tell he loves them, and they, him, but I thought his angst-filled longing and crying about how much he wants to meet her was just uncomfortable. At least for me; possibly because I grew up without a father and never thought twice about him since my mom had to be mom and dad. Maybe it's just me.

• Love 2

The math was bad on this ep.  They showed when the jidges were first deciding, and OD guy grabbed the GB girl's pic and declared, "OK.  6 more."  Nobody corrected him.

I'd bet anything that two piano guys killed it.  

Outlawz?  Pitchy chorus?  Turrible.  Here again, production games it all in the placement of the acts into the groups of 20ish, and then once  more in the act type for final comparison/eviction.  

The wild cards were all worthy, to me.

So...give me Malevo, Viktor, and Rubik's guy for F3.     

• Love 1

OH MY GOD OH MY GOD OHMIGOD HES TOTES ADORABLES OH MY GOOOOOooooh wait, I'm not a 15 year old girl (OR AM I??). Let's start this over...

One of the good parts of not watching this show live is the fact I didn't have to sit through the Republican convention. I'm probably going to try to do that from here on out though, just to be able to make predictions. I have 18 kilos worth of coffee and red bull sitting in my living room and I intend to mix them together, we'll just have to see which gets me first, the sandman or the heart attack. 

Until then though, let's just get to the rankings:

7. Musicality - Someone has to be 7th and while I find them charming and likable, they are simply the act I'm looking the least forward to actually seeing again. If there's anything this show has taught me, it's that people relate much better to individual performers than group acts, which leads me to believe they wont make it very far, but at least we get 1 more week of sob stories involving murder (where DO you go from here, cannibalism? "Hello, my mom ate my dad. Please vote for me")

6. Sos and Victoria - Dancing is out, box magic is out, are they going to start swallowing pool balls next? There's obiously VERY little they can do to mix this up and David and Dania fell into this hole SEASONS ago. However I still enjoy seeing them and if you were to ask me if I would rather see them again or waste 3 minutes of a mediocre dance group or another rendition of Nessun Dorma *shudders*, then I'd still pick these guys. 

5. Jayna Brown - The One Direction Guy broke ALL the rules and bucked the trend by finally doing what we've ALL been waiting for, give the golden buzzer to a singer. It's great to see singers finally getting some recognition on this show and hopefully this is only the beginning for them. Sacrasm mode off, I actually do really like her and she seems like a very nice person. I have a hard time seeing her compete with some of the older and more experienced singers, but I can't really complain about her getting the golden buzzer either, since she deserved it. 

4. Outlawz - It's interesting to see dance groups fall further and further back season after season, what used to be a mainstay in damn near EVERY live show has now exclusively become THE filler/fodder group. The judges mentioned how most groups tend to be anonymous and I agree completely, so it was nice to see outlawz show some actual personality and as the most interesting dance group of the season they deserved to go through.

3. ThroWings - With the russian bar trio disappearing and duo guerrero out, I was happy to see these guys make it through, but as always with acrobatic acts, the questions is "What next?"

2. The Clairvoyants - There are two types of magic acts, ones that tell you they are tricksters up front and ones that try to make you actually believe what they are doing is real. This is the latter and do not be mistaken, this IS a magic act. The story of clairvoyancy is nothing but hocus pocus and BS to add mystery. And at the same time, I don't think they are deceiving the audience by doing so, they are after all an ACT in a variety show. And I find what they do to be polished, interesting, exciting and riveting to watch. They are a real dark horse this season and I can see them making it as far as Oz did last year. Doing a bit of research, they also do big stage show magic and card tricks, but have seemingly chosen to only concentrate on the mentalism to stand out on the show. 

1: Viktor Kee - YES, by far the best act of the night and THE most deserving of the golden buzzer, but I'll accept him going through for now. The way he moves is just mesmerizing, objects feel like they are floating in the air and not actually being manipulated by human hands and he does it all with such ease and seeming lack of any effort that it's a thing of beauty to behold. It's interesting to have 2 strong juggling acts this season with Passing Zone and Viktor Kee, both being at the opposite ends of the spectrum yet both absolute masters of the craft. Only time will tell which will do better...

I have no real complaints with the choices made this episode, although it felt weird having the kid comedian go out after they showed him as much as they did, kudos to him for not breaking down in tears and dealing with the elimination better than most adults so far though. 

And that's it, we have our top 33 and we can move o..oh what? There's a top 36 you say? But..but who...STEVEN, FLIP AND SILA? Welcome to the party. As you can imagine, I'm OVERJOYED to see Steven back and Sila Sveta must have gotten the producers golden buzzer as we can't have an AGT season without at least 1 multimedia act through. Flip have seemingly been added in to fill the gap of dance groups, but I'm so pleased for Steven and Sila that I don't even care.

This is where things get a bit confusing. Every season we have acts shown in the auditions disappear once we hit the judges round, but in terms of the sheer number of established acts missing, this year might be one of the worst. A lot of time was spent on making us care for Patrick and Ginger, so what happened? Where is Dan Meyer? What happened to Elevenplay? This was supposed to be the russian bar trios big comeback, yet they are MIA. Elias and Zion? Tia Simone? The John Rothman Dancers?...Okay maybe it was a good thing we didn't get EVERYONE to return.

I'm not going to bother with ranking all 36 acts and will just post my top 10 going into the quartefinals:

10. Ryan Stock & AmberLynn (knowing fully they have NO chance)
9. Jon Dorenbos
8. Lori Mae Hernandez
7. The Clairvoyants
6. Malevo
5. Steven Brundage
4. Julia Scotti
3. Passing Zone
2. Viktor Kee
1. Tape Face

I would be overjoyed if any of my top 10 won, but If I had to pick the biggest immediate competition to the acts I mentioned, it would have to be Linkin Bridge, Brian and Grace. So who WILL be the winner? Well, let's tune in and see...

• Love 2
3 hours ago, Lonesome Rhodes said:

The math was bad on this ep.  They showed when the jidges were first deciding, and OD guy grabbed the GB girl's pic and declared, "OK.  6 more."  Nobody corrected him.

I'd bet anything that two piano guys killed it.  

Outlawz?  Pitchy chorus?  Turrible.  Here again, production games it all in the placement of the acts into the groups of 20ish, and then once  more in the act type for final comparison/eviction.  

The wild cards were all worthy, to me.

So...give me Malevo, Viktor, and Rubik's guy for F3.     

Why is that wrong?  There were 7, then GB girl got one, so six left?  I haven't been watching this show for long so I might be confused....

• Love 1
(edited)

Your post was interesting, Frankenstein, and also made me wonder about whom you were talking. I only know a couple of names of these acts, although I remember what the acts were. In your Top 10, I only know who four of them are. Not that it matters, of course. Just sayin'. This also speaks to how much attention I pay to this show compared to some other viewers. LOL!

Edited by saber5055
  • Love 2

There were the Orthodox beatboxers we saw backstage, but no performance and they weren't part of the pass/cut at the end, although obviously they didn't make it. The editing on this show has gotten much better but the complete disappearance of some acts and sudden appearance of others not previously seen is really annoying.

• Love 1
9 hours ago, Mama No Life said:

Why is that wrong?  There were 7, then GB girl got one, so six left?  I haven't been watching this show for long so I might be confused....

There were 4 JC shows.  4 x 7 = 28.  They added three wild cards.  But, there are 36 acts remaining, or so I am informed.

I'm also told this is the best talent in AGT histoire.  :)

On July 23, 2016 at 4:51 PM, Lonesome Rhodes said:

There were 4 JC shows.  4 x 7 = 28.  They added three wild cards.  But, there are 36 acts remaining, or so I am informed.

I'm also told this is the best talent in AGT histoire.  :)

I think the other five acts are the golden buzzer acts from the auditions.