Type keyword(s) to search

S02.E06: City On A Hill

Teresa is put in grave danger and the town's food supply is critically low after the Abbies attack CJ and the harvesters. Meanwhile, Theo is able to build a makeshift triage unit, but repairing his marriage to Rebecca proves more difficult. And finally, Xander proves there's some fight left in him when Jason questions his abilities to lead.

OMG, I am only hate watching at this point. When I told people on the Fear the Walking Dead forum to watch this show to see how not bad FTWD is, man was I right. 

Ammo, crystal glasses, flat screen computer monitors, candles, cars, gas, a full triage, scrubs, medical equipment, makeup on the ladies, contemporary clothes, where the hell do they get all this stuff from?

So, their corn crop burned down and that means that they NOW have no food? That was the ONLY thing they were subsisting on? What about that big field they had their mass funeral on? Why wasn't that used for crops? I swear this show is killing me. 

• Love 15

There are a lot of previouslies.

Meanwhile, we see Abbies drinking from a stream, Abbies harvesting plants, Abbies gnawing on bones, Abbies nursing their young, when along comes a helicopter to gun them all down.  The helicopter lands and Piclher gets out -- basically the operation was clearing the valley of Abbies to build WP.  But a couple of Abbies survive, actually helping a wounded Abbie get away, and one that survives is the female that is currently imprisoned in WP -- that was 17 years ago.  I guess female Abbies are like elephants -- they never forget.

And we get some pillow talk between Jason and Kerry.  Which is just so boring.

Theo tries various alcoholic beverages at the local pub to drown his sorrows. In walks Rebecca, to explain everything to him.  I guess we are getting her backstory this week.

All of a sudden an alarm goes off, and everyone in town is headed to the fence -- as we are back to the Abbie attack from last week throwing fire into the corn fields.

Meanwhile at the camp out in the middle of nowhere, the Abbies attack and Theresa gets slashed pretty bad by an Abbie.

Hypnoteacher is doing research when all the Abbies in her care but the female start freaking out -- and the female stares longingly into Hypnoteacher's eyes.

Theo marshals the staff at the hospital to prep for incoming wounded, while Jason and the soldiers battle the Abbies and try to save the crops (they don't).  I ask again, who's not watching the thermal sensors -- you know, the ones that told them that there were no Abbies going out to a range of 30 miles.

We get 3 or 4 minutes of a cross between MASH and ER, with Theo trying save as many as possible and coaching his intern Oscar.

And we get a weird scene of Jason draining his own blood while getting a pep talk from Kerry. And Jason ponders what they did to poison the shoil inside WP.  But how is the grass growing, and the pine trees ?  And why was Jason draining his own blood ?

Xander confronts Theo in the hospital hallway to discuss the marriage to his wife.  It was very friendly.

Oscar tends to Hassler who is concerned about Theresa.

At a post-game analysis of the attack, CJ, Jason, Kerry and Hypnoteacher discuss the tactics employed by the Abbies, targeting the men with firehoses and using fire as a weapon.  And we learn that they lost 1/2 their soldiers leaving them with only 20 soldiers, and they need to start recruiting some more.  I'm thinking it's time for a revolution.

The soldiers come calling to the ice cream shop to retrieve the gun liberated from the armory, and Xander brings up the brownshirts they are wearing.  This cause the one soldier to recite Xander's biography to prove a point.

Theo tells the WP leadership that they are dangerously low on meds, as a soldier shows up to explain that there are a 100 Abbies right outside the fence where the crops were, and they check it out on the thermal sensors.  I just don't get how they are surprised that Abbies just seem to show up out of nowhere, when they can apparently scan out to a 30 mile radius.  And why aren't there guards manning the fence with a sniper rifle to take out the Abbies as they appear.  Jason is a horrible leader.

Hassler sneaks into Theresa's room and has a flashback to when he met Hypnoteacher -- who informs him that Ethan will no longer be a problem, and that Theresa is all his.  Hassler is just creepy stalker.

The funeral for all the dead soldiers takes place on a grassy field with pine trees in the distance -- if they can't grow anything, why are the grass and pine trees growing ?

Rebecca spies Xander from her shop taking something into an alley, but it is just apples for some guy and his family.  Xander talks of the good old days when they were married.  And when Xander can come home.

Theresa is on a ventilator and as Hassler apologizes to her she wakes up.  Then Theresa flashes back to Ben's birthday in Seattle and she dies.  Did Hassler kill her ? Because I think so.  Add another S1 cast member to the dead pool.

As Hypnoteacher conducts an MRI of Margaret, they discover that her temporal gyrus is twice as large as a human.  That can't be good.

As Theo tends to Hassler, Hassler learns they have a female in lockup and he starts to freak and asks Theo if Margaret has the mark on her hand.

Meanwhile, the Abbies outside the fence start to howl and hundreds more show up outside the fence.  As the male Abbies in lockup wail, Margaret the female just stares intently.

• Love 8

So all Theresa did was run around chasing after her son who ended up dead only to die herself to complete the pattern of useless S1 characters who are only brought back to get killed off.

The world building has been piss poor between the soldiers who don't know what they're doing and getting people killed to a horribly equipped hospital that's nothing but a mess.

The remaining characters are dull and/or annoying so the only thing left is to watch these idiots deservingly get wiped out by the Abbies.

• Love 5
9 minutes ago, ottoDbusdriver said:

There are a lot of previouslies....Meanwhile, the Abbies outside the fence start to howl and hundreds more show up outside the fence.  As the male Abbies in lockup wail, Margaret the female just stares intently.

I personally want to thank you Otto. You do a great service to the forum with your detailed summaries (it means we donlt really have to watch!). I don't know how you do it. I cannot keep this story straight at all. I hope that your detailed viewing of this show isn't harming you in any way though! lol

• Love 12
1 minute ago, riverheightsnancy said:

I personally want to thank you Otto. You do a great service to the forum with your detailed summaries (it means we donlt really have to watch!). I don't know how you do it. I cannot keep this story straight at all. I hope that your detailed viewing of this show isn't harming you in any way though! lol

Not that I'm aware of -- yet. :)

• Love 6
1 hour ago, riverheightsnancy said:

So, their corn crop burned down and that means that they NOW have no food? That was the ONLY thing they were subsisting on? What about that big field they had their mass funeral on? Why wasn't that used for crops? I swear this show is killing me. 

Kerry said something about how crops wouldn't grow inside the fence, which makes no sense unless the abbies cursed it or something. It also makes no sense that the crops are their only food source when all last season and in other episodes we've seen them eating modern foods that they shouldn't have been able to grow there. They shouldn't logically be able to have had those foods, but once you establish something about your fictional universe you need to stay consistent.

I felt bad for the poor abbies in the beginning. They were just minding their own business and get shot. No wonder they try and kill the humans.

• Love 4

Like otto said, this whole "nothing will grow inside the wall" stuff is ridiculous. There's grass and trees growing so why won't any food grow? Makes absolutely no sense.

How well did Hassler and Teresa know each other in the past? Did he really think that as soon as Ethan was gone she would instantly fall in love with him and they would live happily ever after? More ridiculous BS. 

We had the first mention of anything vaguely resembling religion with Jason's reference to "stories that people used to tell about how mankind began with two people".

• Love 3
2 hours ago, LittleIggy said:

Why didn't "genius" Pilcher set up a hydroponic growing system to raise crops?

Can't plan for blatantly stupid retconning just like the writers.

• Love 3
58 minutes ago, Accidental Martyr said:

How well did Hassler and Teresa know each other in the past? Did he really think that as soon as Ethan was gone she would instantly fall in love with him and they would live happily ever after? More ridiculous BS. 

IIRC, they were together for quite some time before they "thawed" Ethan.  

8 minutes ago, sisterspoon said:

IIRC, they were together for quite some time before they "thawed" Ethan.  

Hassler and Theresa didn't interact in Wayward pines until now. She might have contacted him when Ethan went missing... And maybe was a confidant for her when the Ethan/Kate cheating happened... But Ethan was thawed first and then Theresa and Ben. And Hassler had already been sent out. 

I suppose she might have been thawed more than once, but she would have no memory of anything with Hassler.

hasslers plan was to get Ethan sent to Wayward and he could be with Theresa in the regular world... But she went after Ethan and screwed that up.

• Love 2
(edited)

Oops, thanks roctaviayou're absolutely right.  I was thinking about the books.  

Spoiler

I was thinking about the books where Hassler, Theresa and Ben were all thawed 5 years before Ethan was thawed -- and Hassler lived with Theresa and Ben before being assigned by Pilcher to do recon of the Pacific Northwest.  

Edited by sisterspoon
3 hours ago, ottoDbusdriver said:

and they need to start recruiting some more.

Not to mention a quantum leap in their training.  If they lost half of their fully automatic weapon armed soldiers to basically a horde of primitives, they need to rethink their tactics.

So now they have 1178 people in town, according to Jason.  But they're still relying on teens to reproduce the population.

I'm getting a bit of a weird, Old Testament vibe from these developments.  Jason's reference to Adam & Eve?  A mark on the female Abby?  Abbies gathered outside the wall, making noise a la Jericho?  Maybe the writers are throwing spaghetti again. 

Of all the automobiles Pilcher could have imported to the 42nd century, he picked a Ford Station Wagon?  The man's a putz.

• Love 2

Why oh why didn't Picher just buy an island somewhere? 

Also, Rebecca? Poor explorer dude could really use a shave and a haircut (two bits). 

Jason, might want to rethink the whole "let's execute everyone" mentality now that you're running out of people.

• Love 2

Let me get this straight.  They have no crops for food and their supplies from the magical Pilcher warehouse are dwindling.

But the bartender says they just "brewed" some pretend fancy label whiskey out in the woods.

They do know that grains used for making beer/booze can be eaten, right?

• Love 9

If the soil inside the town is not good for growing crops, then they could have transported soil from outside, built raised beds, and grown something inside so that they wouldn't need Abbie protection for all their crops.  It's called minimizing their risks.

The woman playing the secretary is in a whole other show from the rest of them.

• Love 13

At this point, I'm only watching the show to see the interaction between Theo and Arlene. She is such a nut!! 

So Jason and his wife (I don't know her name)  are thinking maybe they should have a baby. Maybe??!!  Why haven't they already?? They should have had at least 2 or 3 by now! Why isn't hypnoteacher nagging them 24/7 like she does the 6th graders??!! 

Wasn't the ending this week,  the same exact same as last week?  The female Abby just staring...

So the Abbies were not a threat to humans until Pilcher and his crew starting shooting/killing them? 

One family gets numerous boxes of extra apples because they have three kids.  Everyone else is SOL because...? 

Where did all the medical staff suddenly appear from?  

• Love 5
14 hours ago, riverheightsnancy said:

No bus drivers were harmed during the viewing of this program. ;-) Yes, thank you! I tend to miss a lot during this show. (For instance, Teresa died and Hassler may have killed her?! How did I miss that?!) You're fantastic about capturing every detail!

This episode was too gory for me, which is why I think I tuned out from it. However, did I gather correctly that both Jason and Megan are pretty dead set on the Abbies NOT being able to communicate or plan their attacks? I guess with a 4,000-year build-up of the "devolution" of mankind, they have to think of the Abbies as "lesser" than them. I think that's why they had Zander making a point of pointing out the Nazi-like uniforms. A la, viewers, if you didn't catch this, these guys over here are trying to perpetuate their idea of the master race.

But I think Theo, Hassler, Zander, and Rebecca will realize that humans evolved for a reason. Their communication is "better." Hell, even in 2016, people barely speak to each other! They text and IM and post on social media. When was the last time you CALLED someone? I email and IM my coworkers that sit right by me--we all do. The Abbies evolved so that they don't need technology to get the messages out to each other. They also eat like savages because they can subsist on the land--whatever they can find--unlike these humans who won't know what to do without their Biergarten buffalo burgers and Red Pines candy. They might SEEM like they're vicious to humans--but that's only to protect themselves. See also the terrorism and war that's so widespread today. But when the Abbies are just living their lives in their own community, they're caring toward each other.

• Love 1
4 hours ago, SoothingDave said:

Let me get this straight.  They have no crops for food and their supplies from the magical Pilcher warehouse are dwindling.

But the bartender says they just "brewed" some pretend fancy label whiskey out in the woods.

They do know that grains used for making beer/booze can be eaten, right?

They don't seem to know anything at all, look at the way their hospital is set up or how their army is run.  Truly a trainwreck.

• Love 2

And we have yet another example of the many haircuts of Pilcher -- Pilcher gets out of the helicopter after gunning down most of the Abbies, and he has a receding hairline.  

But they clearly showed last season that when Pilcher entered the cryopods and then exited 2000+ years later that he had a full head of hair. And this opening scene looks like it took place only months after exiting the cryopods, because in S1 Pilcher told Ethan that they rebuilt WP in only 2 years after exiting cryo.

• Love 1

LOL @ Pilcher all in BLACK when he steps out of the copter, you know he's being full on evillllll.  His henchmen were all in black too!

Despite fires and blood this was a pretty boring episode, except for Arlene and her guest room *wink* and the eeriness of the Abbies howling at the end.

Oh, Theo saying the town needed a town drunk was good for a laugh.

A birthday cake fully lit, the family standing in the middle of a park....was odd.  Not even sitting at a picnic table?  How are they going to cut the cake?  Or just walk it back to the car? LOL.  annd that's the end of the Ethan family. 

There really is a lack of planning for WP.  I'm thinking the town all goes back into cryosleep for say 3,000 years and wake up to find that the Abbies now have buildings and spaceships and view the WP folks in their cryochambers as museum pieces, complete with admission to come and stare at them and little placards talking about how vicious they are.

• Love 6
(edited)
On 6/30/2016 at 0:12 PM, SoothingDave said:

Best moment of the show was Xander speaking to Theo about "our wife."  LOL

I too got a giggle out of that. I was like so now they are brother husbands instead of sister wives. But then again that's a whole different show. Again Arlene and her few lines were my favorite part of the episode. She is so out there in a good way makes this crap more interesting.

Edited by Texasmom1970
  • Love 1

It's really hard to root for any of these awful humans. Hypnoteacher needs to go, STAT. Jason is awful and his wife/girlfriend, whatever, is boring too.

Xander's snark and Arlene's crazy are the only things that keep me coming back each week.

• Love 3
On 6/30/2016 at 7:48 PM, raven said:

LOL @ Pilcher all in BLACK when he steps out of the copter, you know he's being full on evillllll.  His henchmen were all in black too!

Despite fires and blood this was a pretty boring episode, except for Arlene and her guest room *wink* and the eeriness of the Abbies howling at the end.

Oh, Theo saying the town needed a town drunk was good for a laugh.

A birthday cake fully lit, the family standing in the middle of a park....was odd.  Not even sitting at a picnic table?  How are they going to cut the cake?  Or just walk it back to the car? LOL.  annd that's the end of the Ethan family. 

There really is a lack of planning for WP.  I'm thinking the town all goes back into cryosleep for say 3,000 years and wake up to find that the Abbies now have buildings and spaceships and view the WP folks in their cryochambers as museum pieces, complete with admission to come and stare at them and little placards talking about how vicious they are.

There's really no tension in the abbies attack, you're just waiting for the next moron to get what they deserve.

• Love 1
(edited)
On 6/29/2016 at 11:16 PM, Dowel Jones said:

Of all the automobiles Pilcher could have imported to the 42nd century, he picked a Ford Station Wagon?  The man's a putz.

If you're building a post-apocalypse genetic ark, you go with the corporate sponsors you can get. Clearly, Pilcher got sweet deals with the ice cream people and the ammo people, but Big Pharma, not so much. :-)

So in addition to evolving, in record time, the teeth, claws, and strength to become apex predators, the Abbies also have better brains (and telepathy?) and can live comfortably in the great outdoors without melanin or fur. 

But, they never figured out fire (or bathing, apparently? they always look dirty outside the lab).

If this turns into some "they've evolved beyond technology" paleo-romanticism bullshit, ugh. Even highly evolved beings like dentistry, medicine, and flush toilets.

Edited by Latverian Diplomat
  • Love 4

At long last, Theresa has finally been put out of her misery, and joins the rest of the former season one characters that I'm apparently not suppose to give a damn about anymore.  At least she managed to scape by for a few episodes, but that was an obvious development.  At least she hilariously had a final opportunity to tell Adam to fuck off and that she totally isn't in to him, when she finally went.  Fare thee well, Theresa!  Between being one of my favorites here and managing to be an awesome villain despite spotty writing on Sleepy Hollow, I hope Shannyn Sossamon gets another boost. I will always remember her from A Knight's Tale.

I swear, I don't know if this is on purpose or not, but this season is really making Pilcher look like a fucking idiot.  He really didn't taken into account if the soil would be farmable in Wayward Pines?  Didn't think it would be wise to stock up on medical supplies and find ways to produce more in case things go south?  That taking out the indigenous population by shooting them on a helicopter, might end up causing them to become their enemies.  Or how about how he looked at this ill-tempered, almost childish Jason and figured "Yeah... he's totally the leader of the new men and women of this earth!"  I swear, Joffery Baratheon would be a better leader then Jason the Fool.

I really can't believe everyone has their head buried in the sand so deep, that they ignored CJ's obvious points and evidence that the Abbies are totally evolving and using their own tactics against them.  Pilcher really did hire the best, huh?

I still have no idea why I should care the Theo/Rebecca/Xander love triangle, although I like how Xander at least seems to realize how ridiculous it is.

At least Kerry finally did something worthwhile with berating Jason, and Kacey Rohl got to show a smidgen of the creepiness she brought in Hannibal.

Seeing him wasted in the recent Tarzan film today, I continue to be sad that Djimon Hounsou just can't get a break. 

• Love 2

Here's the one question they haven't really addressed either -- they have those 5 Abbies in small cages where they apparently stand 24x7, have the Abbies developed the capability to survive without urinating/defecating ?  And how would you get an Abbie to use a flush toilet -- IF -- they could even fit a toilet into those small cages ?   It's basically the same issue with regards to when they imprison Metahumans in the pipeline on 'The Flash'.

• Love 2
19 hours ago, thuganomics85 said:

At long last, Theresa has finally been put out of her misery, and joins the rest of the former season one characters that I'm apparently not suppose to give a damn about anymore.  At least she managed to scape by for a few episodes, but that was an obvious development.  At least she hilariously had a final opportunity to tell Adam to fuck off and that she totally isn't in to him, when she finally went.  Fare thee well, Theresa!  Between being one of my favorites here and managing to be an awesome villain despite spotty writing on Sleepy Hollow, I hope Shannyn Sossamon gets another boost. I will always remember her from A Knight's Tale.

She'll always be Lauren from The Rules of Attraction to me. She was also good in Wristcutters: A Love Story.

• Love 1
17 hours ago, ottoDbusdriver said:

Here's the one question they haven't really addressed either -- they have those 5 Abbies in small cages where they apparently stand 24x7, have the Abbies developed the capability to survive without urinating/defecating ?  And how would you get an Abbie to use a flush toilet -- IF -- they could even fit a toilet into those small cages ?   It's basically the same issue with regards to when they imprison Metahumans in the pipeline on 'The Flash'.

Yeah, good point. What are they feeding them? 

• Love 1
On June 29, 2016 at 9:41 PM, riverheightsnancy said:

OMG, I am only hate watching at this point. When I told people on the Fear the Walking Dead forum to watch this show to see how not bad FTWD is, man was I right. 

Ammo, crystal glasses, flat screen computer monitors, candles, cars, gas, a full triage, scrubs, medical equipment, makeup on the ladies, contemporary clothes, where the hell do they get all this stuff from?

I can't get beyond this either. I try and fail. Why are they wearing chic high heeled boots for example? Who is weaving cloth making plastic?mhow do they have cameras? How are they making bullets? Where is meat comin from?

in any even bad dystopian YA it's worked out better than this. Where are they getting gasoline from?

also, the FUCK WITH THE FORCED PROCREATION AND THE NOT KNOWING ABOUT  homosexuality, for pity's sake, it's not REALLY thousands of years in the future when the people who set it up come from now, it's just bizarre. And really, the piped in music and icky prints in those rooms... Where does all this stuff come from?

and yeah, why d Jason and kerry get to have a normal conversation about maybe possibly having a kid? The rules in this world make no sense.

if there was apocalypse tomorrow Mayberry would very quickly not be Mayberry because it relies on products that come from outside Mayberry. Duh.

On June 30, 2016 at 9:44 AM, icemiser69 said:

If only they had planted popcorn.

I don't think I am supposed to be rooting for the Abbies, but that is exactly who I am rooting for.

I don't know why the leader of Wayward Pines is so dead against believing that the Abbies are intelligent beings.  If anything, their intelligence should be a good thing, perhaps they could find a way to negotiate with the Abbies.  That is, if Megan doesn't end up killing the female Abbie (leader).

I'm rooting for the Abbies. Kill em all.

• Love 5

Science Fiction is traditionally a great way of making a moral point that wouldn't come across as well with the trappings and preconceived notions of reality, and the writers are trying to hit us over the head with some, BUT the basics of world-building should not be skipped or glossed over in order to service the end desire of making those points. And that's where WP falls apart for me. Nothing they do makes sense. And nothing about the "abbies'" (hate that name; just seems so silly for something you are deathly afraid of) do is consistent with their previous behaviors. Even the destruction of the town would not be satisfying because we've been there before.

• Love 6
18 minutes ago, NorthstarATL said:

Science Fiction is traditionally a great way of making a moral point that wouldn't come across as well with the trappings and preconceived notions of reality, and the writers are trying to hit us over the head with some, BUT the basics of world-building should not be skipped or glossed over in order to service the end desire of making those points. And that's where WP falls apart for me. Nothing they do makes sense. And nothing about the "abbies'" (hate that name; just seems so silly for something you are deathly afraid of) do is consistent with their previous behaviors. Even the destruction of the town would not be satisfying because we've been there before.

Abbie is probably the worst name for some thing in a sci-fi book/tv show/movie since whoever the writer was that named the 5 factions in Divergent (because they were high on something when that happened).

You are dead on about the world-building -- there are so many things that make absolutely no sense, and have gone completely unexplained/unanswered.  

For example, why were so many people that went to WP involved in automobile accidents, apparently put into cryo with major injuries, and then thawed out and patched up ?  When they thawed out Ethan, why did they leave him out in the woods to wake up ?  Why did Pilcher recruit some people against their will ? Why did Pilcher kidnap some people that appear to have no useful skills in building a new world (Arlene was a school bus driver), and then turn other people who actually have skill sets and make them do very basic jobs ? Why did Pilcher freeze some people because they just happened to be in WP at the time -- remember Beverly was frozen in 1999, 15 years before Pilcher closed up the mountain ?  The list goes on and on.

• Love 5

Wasn't the ending this week,  the same exact same as last week?  The female Abby just staring...

Yes, this episode basically came full circle and ended exactly where the previous one did, with the captured female psychically calling the males  to storm the city gates. There were some intense fighting scenes and a triage worthy of Grey's Anatomy but the story didn't budge in inch from where we left off last week.

So the Abbies were not a threat to humans until Pilcher and his crew starting shooting/killing them? 

I took it to mean those were all females that Pilcher's helicopter crew massacred in the flashback, and they apparently knew the females were the really dangerous ones because they reason, or some such. So they went out and found the female's "nest" or whatever and tried to wipe them out, figuring that would put an end to all the Abbies. The question is why Megan didn't know any of this if Pilcher did.

But then again nothing on this show seems to make much sense.

• Love 2

Didn't Pilcher say something at the end of the massacre about starting to build? I thought those abbies lived in the area they wanted for building some of the city... so they cleared them out so they could take over.... meaning they basically built their town on abbie nesting grounds...  Surely the old town that was there got overgrown during the 2000 years and would have been forest, at least in parts.

• Love 1

I made the mistake of eating dinner during the beginning of this episode; the scene of the Abbies picking each other's nits and whatever nearly turned my stomach. Then I realized my real mistake was watching this season of the show at all.

• Love 2
4 hours ago, roctavia said:

Didn't Pilcher say something at the end of the massacre about starting to build? I thought those abbies lived in the area they wanted for building some of the city... so they cleared them out so they could take over.... meaning they basically built their town on abbie nesting grounds...  Surely the old town that was there got overgrown during the 2000 years and would have been forest, at least in parts.

I think he said they could start building the wall.

When they all woke up from their cryogenic sleep last season (in the flashback) they looked out the window (in the mountain?) down at the town, and the town was already there. Which sent us all off on a laughing spree over the idea that the town would still be standing 2000 years later. 

• Love 2

I am still weeks behind ...

Why didn't Pilcher pack up a bunch of vitamins?

When the alarm goes off and they all rush out to the street and get in jeeps, the streets are wet, as though it had recently rained.  At first I thought "How could it rain inside a dome?" but then I remembered that was last summer's laughably stupid show. Anyway, it has recently rained in WP.  Yet the Abbies were able to burn down a field of crops - crops that were still green and growing.  The crops shouldn't have burned that quickly unless --

A. They were stupid enough that they only planted corn and the corn was near the end of it's life cycle.

B.  The crops were being grown so far from town that it didn't rain there, which would also be stupid.

C. In addition to discovering fire, the Abbies have discovered gasoline