Type keyword(s) to search

S06.E10: The Winds of Winter

• Start Topic

(edited)

In the Season 6 finale, Tyrion counsels Daenerys on the upcoming campaign; Jon and Sansa discuss their future; and trials begin in King's Landing.

Reminder: This is for discussion of the TV show only, no book talk allowed - including saying "but it's different in the books". Any spoiler from outside the books (i.e. next weeks preview) should be in spoiler tags.

Edited by Mya Stone
Added official synopsis
  • Love 1

IMHO, Tommen was a complete waste of time and space - right from the start of his putrid, stupid role - right to the end.

I suppose the show runners may be justified in making him such a waste - considering where he came from and all.

• Love 6
1 minute ago, AliShibaz said:

IMHO, Tommen was a complete waste of time and space - right from the start of his putrid, stupid role - right to the end.

I suppose the show runners may be justified in making him such a waste - considering where he came from and all.

I don't completely agree with you. Tommen's death is (indirectly) Cersei's responsibility.  Now all three Lannister children are considered kingslayers.  Quite poetic really.

• Love 23
(edited)

I knew that the episode would end with Daenerys on her fleet heading for Westeros with the dragons flying above them. I wish we had gotten to see Varys meet Daenerys after stepping out of his transporter.

Fuck, Arya don’t play. Finally, those faces came in useful. Guess, the training wasn’t for nothing.

Shit, Kit Harrington is handsome as hell. I love Lyanna Mormont. She is a spit fire. Again, they are lucky that they didn’t cut off bits off each other pulling though rubber swords.

Damn, Margaery came so close to getting her and her family away and saving everyone. Poor Loras. I had forgotten what he even looked like. Fucking High Sparrow.

So Gregor is how Cersei intended to protect Tommen. Finally we see his face. Pycelle is gone, won’t miss him.

Damn, I was shocked as hell when Tommen killed himself. Cersei’s Godfather style Valentine’s Day Massacre started off well and then as usual with all her ill thought out plans ended badly. Though she got her heart’s desire and is now sitting on the Iron Throne. I cannot wait for Daenerys and her dragons to raze King’s Landing. That throne will be so hot only Daenerys will be able to sit on it. Ah, Jaime continues to be useless.

I love Sam. He is so sweet and awkward. I hope that he doesn’t plan to stay there too long.

I loved Davos’ righteous anger over Shireen’s terrible murder. I knew Jon wouldn’t kill her, but I loved that he banished her ass.

I am glad that Sansa apologized to Jon for not telling him everything. He loves her unconditionally and willing always protect her. Littlefinger is so disgusting. I was hoping that Sansa was going to stab him in the heart. If she has ambitions to sit on the throne with Littlefinger, she is a fool and just ick.  

Varys! Awww, Olenna knows about Loras and Margaery. I can’t wait for her to bring vengeance against Cersei.

Ha, I knew that Daenerys was going to arrange a political marriage again. I suspected that Daenerys wasn’t taking Daario based on the scene from the preview.  I will miss the actor who plays Daario. I have liked him since I first saw him on Treme.

Love it! Tyrion is Hand again. And of a great ruler. I hope that he isn’t in love with Daenerys.

So Benjen is partly dead. Based on what he said the Wall has to come down for the Night King and his army to head South. I don’t get why he just left Bran and Meera out in the snow. I cannot believe that they didn’t even just come out and confirm Jon’s parentage although they just about did. 

Edited by SimoneS
  • Love 20

I can't even think critically right now. This show fired off three stellar episodes this year, and that finale was...relentless. I literally gasped twice, I was in it the whole way and it kept giving. Other shows need to learn this, I can't wait until next year and yet a ton was resolved. I just hope they don't stretch it too long, because I'm loving the story and want it to keep up this pace. 

The costumes and music were especially on point tonight. For some reason I especially noticed Cersei's look at the end. 

So, was it a god that guided Jon Snow to his rightful place? Cause that's a crazy path there. 

Last random thought in my head...I feel like I can love Arya again. 

• Love 8
9 minutes ago, revbfc said:

I don't completely agree with you. Tommen's death is (indirectly) Cersei's responsibility.  Now all three Lannister children are considered kingslayers.  Quite poetic really.

Tywin was never KING....Tyrion has not joined the club...

• Love 8

What was the deal with Varys in Dorne?  And then back again in Mereen in time to catch the ship?  

Dario in charge of Mereen with no advisor assigned to him.... goodbye Mereen...

• Love 2
(edited)

Well, considering what happened to the last Mad King (Queen) I wouldn't be turning my back on Jaime any time soon, Your Insanity.

Seriously how does somebody this stupid AND crazy live this long?

Edited by Philbert
  • Love 16
(edited)

So many thoughts running through my mind.

First and foremost, as epic and awesome as that last shot was..I am kind of tired of Dany getting the ending scenes in most of the seasons. I would have much preferred if we had ended with Jon Snow being declared King in the North.  Also we now have confirmation that Jon is Lyanna's son, so I assume he is a Targaryen and a contestant for the iron throne.

Speaking of the Iron Throne..Cersei enjoy that uncomfortable piece of metal while you can, because Dany is on her way with legions of men, the iron born and 3 dragons.  Jaime looked quite disturbed at the end there.. he had to know that Tommen is dead based on what happened. Cersei had minimal reaction to Tommen's death, but I assume that had to do with her acceptance that her children would die before here.

Can I just saw how AWESOME Lyanna Mormont is, I would hate to tackle with her when she is fully grown. She challenged grown men and contributed to Jon being elected King of the North. Littlefinger was not happy about that.. Talk about anvils, we have Littlefinger telling Sansa how the people will not rally behind a bastard who was born in the South and Lyanna disproved that theory. Sansa was smiling so she was okay with the declaration until she say Paetyr's face. Hopefully he doesn't drive a wedge between the cousins (#notsiblings#). 

A bit confused about Arya, how did she have access to the face changing if she is not a faceless man?  Did Jaquen give her leave to use faces at will? Is she a faceless man? Is this what Jaquen meant when he said she is truly no one?

Didn't see the point of the Sam/Maesters and Olenna/Dorne scenes, I know they were setting things up but this could have waited until S7 Ep1, it just took away time here.

Also have to add...the music accompaniment this episode was beautiful...

Edited by bluvelvet
  • Love 11

God I hate how Cersei got a chance to be smug about something. I don't care if she's sad about Tommen's death. Can't wait for someone to throw her off the Iron Throne. Fuck her and her ugly crown so much.

Bummed about Margaery, Loras, Mace, and Kevan's (the one decent Lannister) deaths.

Holy shit at Pycelle's death! Was the whore he stiffed one of the people who stabbed him along with the kids?

Forgot about Sam and Gilly. That library was better than Hogwarts, I want to live in it, but can't since no women.

ARYA!!!! How did she get back to Westeros? I wonder if she stole more than one face. So fitting that Walder ate his sons before he died.

I got a bit teary when Davos was talking about how he loved Shireen like his own. Melisandre will definitely meet up with the Brotherhood next season.

Lady Lyanna Mormont is still the absolute best. Jon (secret Targaryen sp?) can be King in the North as long as Lyanna totally wins the Iron Throne. I feel if Dany met her, she would name Lyanna her successor. Is house Mormont the only ones that they told about the White Walkers?

Dorne didn't suck because of Olenna and Varys. I hope Olenna gets to smash Cersei upside the head with her wine jug.

How the hell did Varys get from Dorne quickly enough to be on a ship with Dany & co?

So that look between Sansa and Littlefinger means she's going to vie to be queen again? Oh, and that look between Davos and Tormund was sort of like, "Great, another king."

Maybe Pod and Brienne will pass Gendry since they're still rowing boats.

• Love 9
(edited)
1 minute ago, maydaymayday said:

can someone explain what Varys was doing in Dorne and how he ended up back on the ship from Mereen?

He was making the alliance with Dorne and (what's left of) House Tyrell. As for how he's back on the ship, those Iron Islanders can sail.

Edited by AimingforYoko
  • Love 7
1 minute ago, Popples said:

God I hate how Cersei got a chance to be smug about something. I don't care if she's sad about Tommen's death. Can't wait for someone to throw her off the Iron Throne. Fuck her and her ugly crown so much.

Bummed about Margaery, Loras, Mace, and Kevan's (the one decent Lannister) deaths.

Holy shit at Pycelle's death! Was the whore he stiffed one of the people who stabbed him along with the kids?

Forgot about Sam and Gilly. That library was better than Hogwarts, I want to live in it, but can't since no women.

ARYA!!!! How did she get back to Westeros? I wonder if she stole more than one face. So fitting that Walder ate his sons before he died.

I got a bit teary when Davos was talking about how he loved Shireen like his own. Melisandre will definitely meet up with the Brotherhood next season.

Lady Lyanna Mormont is still the absolute best. Jon (secret Targaryen sp?) can be King in the North as long as Lyanna totally wins the Iron Throne. I feel if Dany met her, she would name Lyanna her successor. Is house Mormont the only ones that they told about the White Walkers?

Dorne didn't suck because of Olenna and Varys. I hope Olenna gets to smash Cersei upside the head with her wine jug.

How the hell did Varys get from Dorne quickly enough to be on a ship with Dany & co?

So that look between Sansa and Littlefinger means she's going to vie to be queen again? Oh, and that look between Davos and Tormund was sort of like, "Great, another king."

I think Sansa isn't going to tell Littlefinger she doesn't want to be queen because then he will move on to plan B.  She want to keep his guessing.

• Love 6
(edited)
7 minutes ago, Popples said:

Ha!  Brilliant.  Going to get awfully crowded on the Westeros waterways.

Tyrion said that Dany wanted the throne since forever or however he said it but did she really?  She seemed rather ambivalent about the whole thing when her brother was calling the shots and didn't seem really to want any of it until she walked through fire the first time.

Edited by mojoween
  • Love 4

King in the North!

The White Wolf!

That was an excellent finale.

Loved, loved, loved Lady Mormount!

Suck it, Littlefinger.  I'm looking forward to Sansa getting rid of him.

So Arya really did learn something from the FM. I hope she let Edmure out of the dungeon. Can't wait for her reunion with Jon and Sansa next year!

Benjen took the horse. How in the world are Bran and Meera gonna get anywhere?

Wow, what a way to wrap up most of the King's Landing story lines. I didn't expect everybody to die. I knew Tommen was gonna jump out that window when he heard about Margery.  For the first time, I'm rooting for Danerys to get to Westeros so she can knock Cersei off the Iron Throne.  The reunion scene between Tyrion and Cersei should be epic.

King in the North!

• Love 13
27 minutes ago, Last Time Lord said:

Ser Pounce is going to avenge you, Tommen.

Nah he won't. Tommen jumped on his own. Cats don't avenge self sacrifices!

That was a satisfying finale. Don't worry; Cersei won't be Queen long because the Sand Snakes and the Queen of Thorns is coming for her.

RIP Margeary. You managed to save Olenna at the very least.

Arya's back in Westeros fucking shit up.  A girl is awesome.

*Playing Beyonce's song "Run the World (Girls)"

• Love 7

Pretty predictable with the Jon and Lyanna reveal, but the transition shot of baby Jon to 'King in the North' Jon with the soaring music was cool. I wasn't quite sure how to read Sansa's exchange of looks with Littlefinger amidst all the cheering; He was smirking as usual,but was she looking back at him defiantly because Jon is now an obstacle for the Iron Throne, or was did she look worried about Jon stealing her birthright? Hmmm 

Welp, Cersei finally gave me a reason for root for Daenerys again.

The crust on that Frey pie looked legit. Hot pie would be proud.

• Love 16

OMG, so many things in this episode! Random thoughts:

Did not see the Tommen death coming, so that was a surprise.

RIP Margery and Loras....I will miss Margery, she was a great character. The only one smart enough to figure out what was going on...but too late.

Melisandre got off too easy for killing Shireen. I had really wanted justice to be done there.

Cersei, at the end, in full evil-Queen-from-a-fairy-tale costume.

Arya!! I'm happy that she had learned how to do the faces after all! Sweet, sweet revenge, baked into a pie.

Danaerys -- why you send away Daario? So loyal, so hot...that's just not right.

Lady Mormont -- awesome as always. 

We FINALLY confirmed what we had long suspected about Jon's parentage! 

Sam in the giant library -- I know how he feels. That's how I feel when I'm surrounded by books too. I love bookstores and libraries.

Great shot at the end, of her Majesty's Royal Navy. We finally left Mereen, yay!

• Love 8

So, it used to take someone five seasons to get from point A to point B, but now it takes roughly five minutes. I'm glad they made this change, but it makes some things whiplash inducing and not as gratifying as they might have otherwise. I kinda didn't give a shit when Arya showed up and killed Walder Frey, because it was really hard to believe. After all that, she suddenly can: travel at breakneck speeds, be a Faceless Man despite only ever learning a whole fuck-ton of stick battling, murder a couple guys, including butchering and baking them. That was a really nice crust! When did Arya master ninja assassin-ing and figure out a crust that Mary Berry would deem a "good bake"?

Adding onto that: Varys' smooth bald head must make him incredibly aerodynamic to bounce from Mereen to Dorne and back within a shake of lamb's tail, Olenna has next-day shipping on the terrible news that most (all?) of the rest of her family is dead, but Jaime has to see the smoldering ruins for himself. 

Cersei's costume choices were fantastic. It really projected the Mad Queen of it all, and was gorgeously androgynous to match her hair.

RIP Margaery. It's a shame the show didn't use her and Natalie Dormer's talents more.

• Love 9

Forgive me, I'm a rambling mess. I am still on a GoT High

Lil Lady Lyanna Mormont made me stand up and clap. She needs to be president of earth. I feel like she needs to hang with Lady Olenna Tyrell. I would watch a show with just the 2 of them. 

Littlefinger is forever Creepy.

JON! King of da North! I screamed "YES!!" during the Tower of Joy scene. 

Bye Witch. Davos had me teary when he confronted her. Guess she can now run into Arya....somewhere...maybe. Also, Arya Stark: Iron Chef

Cersei. Girl bye. You have lost your mind. Jaime came back and was just had a "WTF did you do???" look

Dany...eh don't care. Though Tyrion was totally giving her puppy dog eyes. Yeah he is into her...

Varys has the best travel agent...

Winter is here y'all. 

• Love 20
40 minutes ago, Last Time Lord said:

Ser Pounce is going to avenge you, Tommen.

Tommen jumping looked exactly like "Boardwalk Empire" when Nucky's butler killed himself. The camera did not move and the actor moved in and out of frame.

• Love 2
(edited)

I wasn't quite sure how to read Sansa's exchange of looks with Littlefinger amidst all the cheering; He was smirking as usual,but was she looking back at him defiantly because Jon is now an obstacle for the Iron Throne, or was did she look worried about Jon stealing her birthright?

She was smiling at Jon's crowning so she doesn't care about her birthright or anything like that, she was worried because she knows LF wants ultimate power and that Jon is now in his way.  I actually can see her marrying him as a means of keeping Jon safe from his machinations.

Edited by Mathius
  • Love 17
24 minutes ago, bluvelvet said:

So many thoughts running through my mind.

First and foremost, as epic and awesome as that last shot was..I am kind of tired of Dany getting the ending scenes in most of the seasons. I would have much preferred if we had ended with Jon Snow being declared King in the North.  Also we now have confirmation that Jon is Lyanna's son, so I assume he is a Targaryen and a contestant for the iron throne.

Speaking of the Iron Throne..Cersei enjoy that uncomfortable piece of metal while you can, because Dany is on her way with legions of men, the iron born and 3 dragons.  Jaime looked quite disturbed at the end there.. he had to know that Tommen is dead based on what happened. Cersei had minimal reaction to Tommen's death, but I assume that had to do with her acceptance that her children would die before here.

Can I just saw how AWESOME Lyanna Mormont is, I would hate to tackle with her when she is fully grown. She challenged grown men and contributed to Jon being elected King of the North. Littlefinger was not happy about that.. Talk about anvils, we have Littlefinger telling Sansa how the people will not rally behind a bastard who was born in the South and Lyanna disproved that theory. Sansa was smiling so she was okay with the declaration until she say Paetyr's face. Hopefully he doesn't drive a wedge between the cousins (#notsiblings#). 

A bit confused about Arya, how did she have access to the face changing if she is not a faceless man?  Did Jaquen give her leave to use faces at will? Is she a faceless man? Is this what Jaquen meant when he said she is truly no one?

Didn't see the point of the Sam/Maesters and Olenna/Dorne scenes, I know they were setting things up but this could have waited until S7 Ep1, it just took away time here.

Also have to add...the music accompaniment this episode was beautiful...

The music throughout was outstanding, but it particularly grabbed me in the first part at Kinds Landing.  

• Love 13
29 minutes ago, paigow said:

Tywin was never KING....Tyrion has not joined the club...

He was convicted of killing King Joffrey.  In the eyes of the people of Westeros he is considered a kingslayer.

• Love 12
Just now, Stardancer Supreme said:

Now Sansa has got to get Littlefinger out of the Vale. Thank goodness she refused his clumsy overtures.  How on earth are you going to try to get a girl you sold to a sadist to rock with you?  Even Sansa is not that stupid.

"Only a fool would trust Littlefinger." Sick burn on your headless dad there, Sansa.

• Love 20

It was nice to see how happy and proud Sansa was when all the lords bent the knee to Jon and declared him king.

Benjen said that the dead can't get past the wall's magic. When the Night King touched Bran while he was in the cave that allowed the white walkers to come in after them. Would the Night King have to touch Bran again to be able to follow him south of the wall, or did that one touch mark Bran forever?

• Love 8
(edited)

I guess there was no way Margeary or Loras could have somehow survived? They were my favorite characters. :(  But then I keep hoping that somehow Shireen might reappear.

Edited by bookrat
  • Love 9
(edited)

Great episode, despite the plot holes.

I'm bummed to see Margery go, I liked her character.

Could Benjen maybe have left Bran and Meera the horse? How the hell is she going to haul him around? 

Even though I don't like Cersei, I was laughing hysterically when she was chanting "Shame! Shame!" while she closed the door on Oona.

Poor Daario, getting dumped like yesterday's trash. He's a fine specimen, I think I would've found a way to drag him along somehow, lol.

Overall, a nice setup for next season.

Edited by BitterApple
  • Love 9
45 minutes ago, Jaded Sapphire said:

Loved the new "King of the North" scene but totally agree with my SO when he said:

"Damn Sansa, the patriarchy just slapped you in the face huh?"

Right? I loved the scene and I love Jon but damn. They'd rather bend knee to a bastard (their issue and tone not mine) than ever bend knee to the woman who is, as far as they know, the rightful heir? I shouldn't be surprised by that but I find it vaguely annoying at the same time.

• Love 13
(edited)

what i have suspected all season finally was proven about Jons parents ,we know neds sister was his mother ,and also we now know the king was his father ?

this makes snow the true decendant to the throne.

watch episode one again the clues are there

Edited by soulza
  • Love 1