Type keyword(s) to search

S11.E04: AGT Auditions Week 4

• Start Topic

(edited)

Well, on a completely shallow note the lead female singer in that hybrid pop choral orchestral group was stunningly gorgeous. Too bad we didn't even get their act's name. Methinks that doesn't bode well for their chances in Vegas.

As a fellow Buckeye state person I will say that Calysta cleared the incredibly high bar (not really) of being the most promising golden buzzer winner. Like Blake would have pushed his button for her had she blind auditioned for The Voice instead.

Not a ton of other standouts this week. It was nice to actually see Jon Dorenbos of the Eagles do magic as I had previously read articles on ESPN and the MMQB that discussed his passion for it.

I think for the sake of variety, The Quick Changers, the break dancing/hip-hop siblings, and the Knife throwing duo may make it to the live shows. Possibly the older, female stand up comedian too. Her style wasn't really my cup of tea though.

Edited by PhD-Purgatory15
Somehow I misheard Calysta as Kelly...
  • Love 2
(edited)

One of the acts they glazed over toward the beginning was dance.  Simon dissed them for smiling too much and they didn't go through (others may have had other criticisms).  My thought was that their choreographer probably coached them to smile through the entire number.  Ding! 

I am tired of them saying a performer looks good for their age.  A 53 year old man got that praise. 53 is not that old and most are in good shape at the age!  I am 70 and look good!  WTF do they think people should look like!? Jane Fonda is fucking 78  years old!   I can put my foot in the kitchen sink too (Grace and Frankie reference and yoga)! 

Edited by wings707
  • Love 7

I did the math.  If the giant chorus and chamber quintet win, they will each receive, after taxes, an annual check for three cents.  Give or take.

This ep started again with really good energy. No singing.  Hmmm.  Coinkydink?

The twin piano players were a hoot.  Although, I am quite certain a little of them in the real world would go a very, very, long way.

i honestly completely missed what Simon saw in Brown, the singer.  Maybe it's AI-style audio shenanigans where an act sounds much better live.  She had several flat spots to my ears.

Football dude made darn sure that HE picked up the paper-clipped card and did the reveal.  He was aight, but I would never, ever, choose to see him in a Vegas act.

Velo should incorporate Gollum in a future performance.  He'll need something to break the sameness.

All image, almost zero substance, of course this was the act Simon buzzed goldenly.  There was a day when he would have cringed listening to such a reed-thin, cutesy, voice.  

Compliment dude is a touch pixilated, but he actually came up with a pretty great profundity!  "X's can be kisses."   Indeed.   

• Love 2

...I will say that Calysta cleared the incredibly high bar (not really) of being the most promising golden buzzer winner.

I'd agree--I saw potential, though I hope someone points out that her influence from Celine Dion is either higher than she realizes, or higher than she's saying.  In one sense, that's OK; Celine Dion sells a lot of tickets.  A "yes" vote I could see; a golden buzzer seemed about one song too early.

I liked the football magician--mostly because of the way the trick kept building, and the way he gave the last four cards in the diamond run quickly (so it built up well), and Simon picking the three of clubs, which was either a shout-out to Penn and Teller, or he picked it for the same reason they did (it shows up well on TV.)  Either way, it was fun.

• Love 4

Wondering why it is that only singers were worthy of the golden buzzer?  I didn't really care for the twins.  I had the same thought Mel B did - that he missed some notes there.  Something sounded off.  As long as they were playing, it was fine, but that one was really annoying when talking.  Too bad TapeGuy wasn't there - a nice piece of duct tape would have worked wonders.  The quick change act was amazing.  I have no idea how they do it.  I also have no idea how they could possibly keep that act fresh and interesting.  I admit to starting to get a bit bored by the end, but the quick change through the confetti was an awesome final touch.  Knife guy was okay.  The guy hanging weights off his eyelids was unwatchable in our household.  That just grosses me out.  I did like the comedian a lot.  Hope she's around for a while.  Good call for Simon to ask that one woman to try another song.  And good for her that she had Natural Woman as a back-up.  We all thought that was really good.  We loved the football player-magician.  Probably our favorite act of the night.  There were probably others we enjoyed, but I'm honestly having trouble remembering most of the people I saw last night.  I remember one singer early on who annoyed the heck out of me by adding about 3,000 extra notes to the song.  She went through, but I really hate when singers make a song about "look what I can do with my voice" instead of about bringing out the emotions of the song.  And aside from Val, heavy-metal old guy and the old Elvis wannabe, have we seen any male singers?  Maybe I'm just not remembering it, but it seems like a real dearth of male singers outside of groups.  And have we had any actual bands?  The family band is the closest I can remember.

• Love 3

to continue remarks from episode 3, with the quick change act we've got a variation on a seamstress act! The husband said she made all the costumes. I'l admit to googling how it was done and after that I have even more appreciation for the act.I missed about 15 minutes of acts out of the middle, decided washing a few dishes was preferable. I think I liked the 14 year old girl singer from Atlanta more than the one that got the one that got the golden buzzer. I liked the older woman comic, the long haired twins that played piano annoyed me, can't watch most of the danger act, I can watch the ones that do high bar or balancing, or knife throwing, what I can't watch are the ones that do weird things like hanging heavy objects from small body parts.I enjoyed the football player magician, magic may help keep his mind limber after hits to the head. 

• Love 4

I watch this show and FF through acts that are "dangerous" because they bore me.  Why does Heidi love them so much?  Card tricks bore me, too.  

I have seen the dress change act before a number of times.  It is not difficult to figure out.  She is wearing all of her dresses at the start. 

There have been only 3 winners that stick in my mind, Terry Fator, Olate Dogs and Kenichi.   

1 magician, 2 ventriloquists, 1 dog act, 1 performance artist and 5 singers were the winners of the 10 seasons.   The Voice is enough, I watch to see something different on this show.  

• Love 4
(edited)

Of the five singer winners, you had an 11 or 12 year old who won the very first season when nobody knew what the hell this show was or would become. You had Landau who is one of more pleasant surprise acts the show's ever had...and a guy who would have been too old for AI and probably not a Voice winner, and you also had Neil, a classically trained opera guy. Not really like the other competition shows have really made it a point to include a lot of claasical/opera acts...

Only Michael Grimm and Kevin Skinner were 2nd or 3rd rate versions of what you'd get on the other singing shows (YMMV if you had a soft spot for either of those guys).

So I usually don't get singer burnout from AGT as long as they keep a wide variety within the singer acts themselves. 

All that being said, they could have spared one golden buzzer for Maleva, or even Tape Face guy just for his sheer weirdness. I do wonder if because four solo singers are now locked into the Top 40....the deck may be stacked against those solo singers who have to fight for their place in Vegas, like the 14 year old, and the older female singer from this episode. There's probably only 4 or 5 more spots open for solo singing acts...and one might be reserved for the crazy old nu-metal karaoke guy.

Edited by PhD-Purgatory15
  • Love 2

Lol at all 4 golden buzzers being singers.  Can we just change the show title to The Voice: AGT edition ???  

The knife throwing act from last year (the older couple whose son did juggling act) was better than this knife duo

• Love 2

I get it that the singers on this show are not The Voice material (mostly).  That does not change my mind.  I am just not into hearing a singer solo on this show.  I am looking for a Fator or dog act that blows me away.  Something interesting.  

10 hours ago, Lonesome Rhodes said:

I did the math.  If the giant chorus and chamber quintet win, they will each receive, after taxes, an annual check for three cents.  Give or take.

Ha ha ha!  Very funny.  Thanks for doing the math on that. 

• Love 1

For me, this episode was a big nothingburger.  The golden buzzer girl?  Without her backstory, and just listening to the audio, such as on the radio, she would never draw my attention. 

The trans woman comedienne actually pissed me off a little.  Sixy is not really that old, and all of her jokes were about being elderly...as in, maybe, 80-years-old.  Her "surprise" reveal at the end, about being a biological male, was not a surprise in my household.  As soon as they started showing her intro package, interacting with the contestants backstage, I turned to my companion and said, "that's a man, baby."  Personally, I don't care, but I wonder if the jidges would have given her 4 yes votes if she hadn't revealed her gender identification.

So far, this season hasn't produced a single act that could compete with Terry Fator, Jackie Evancho, or Landau, for instance.  Actually, we've had a ton of former semi-final contestants whose names I can't remember, but who have been much better than any of the acts we've seen so far.  I had better hopes for this season with the return of Simon, but it's not looking good.

• Love 3
(edited)
3 hours ago, SnarkyTart said:

The trans woman comedienne actually pissed me off a little.  Sixy is not really that old, and all of her jokes were about being elderly...as in, maybe, 80-years-old.  Her "surprise" reveal at the end, about being a biological male, was not a surprise in my household.  As soon as they started showing her intro package, interacting with the contestants backstage, I turned to my companion and said, "that's a man, baby."  Personally, I don't care, but I wonder if the jidges would have given her 4 yes votes if she hadn't revealed her gender identification.

I also figured that was a man from the intro package.  For me, the nose was a dead giveaway.  Actually, I wonder if she really is trans, or if this is a gimmick, given the recent publicity about transgender people.  And yeah, 60 is not elderly.

I thought the knife-thrower's wife was really attractive.  The husband wasn't bad-looking either but when I looked at her all I could think of was "Honey, you can do much, much better than having knives thrown at you!"

Edited by Ohwell
  • Love 3
6 hours ago, Babalooie said:

Music teacher here.  I understand the Golden Buzzer girl's touching backstory, but that didn't qualify her to get the golden buzzer. She was okay to go through, but that's about all.

I must admit, her story brought a tear to me eye. 16 and ovarian cancer. Damn. To be fair however, since I wrote last episode about pandering to the elderly by the judges, I have to lump this into the same category. She wasn't that good of a singer for the golden buzzer (hell, I don't think any of the buzzer winners were worthy). Any other song, that wasn't made so inspirational due to her backstory, and her singing would probably be deemed average at best. Pass her through to the next round if you wish, but giving her a ticket to the finals is a disservice to her - as she could benefit from critiques - , the other competitors, and to the audience. 

• Love 3

A few things that bothered me yesterday was Heidi not judging, MelB not looking at an act and Simon not being Simon.

Heidi gave Baron of The Universe an automatic "no" because she doesn't like acts like his. What the..? Her job is to judge whether the act is worthy of $1 million dollars not of she likes it on a personal level. MelB, how the hell are you going to judge if you're lookin away? Simon, stop pussy footing around and stop being nice!

First of all, Calysta Bevier, very pretty girl. I'm glad her cancer is in remission. Not golden buzzer material. Her sob story pulled her through. Her voice was just average at best.

Julia Scotti probably went through because she's transgender plain and simple! Disappointing indeed.

Jayne Brown, now that is a golden buzzer performance in my opinion. Very talented young lady!

Believe it or not, I didn't find anything wrong with Ronee's first song. I thought she sounded just fine. I think it was a set up to add drama.

My two best acts were Jon Dorenbus and Sos & Victoria. I love magic so I go with Jon's act on this one.

I still feel that the show should replace MelB. Her voice just isn't good for t.v. I'm starting to think the same thing for Heidi and her judging. Find someone that will judge the acts......PLEASE!

One last thing,...someone kick Simon in the behind so he come out of his funk! 

Until next time......

• Love 1

My problem with the judging is they put through acts they know damn well have no shot at winning or placing.  Baron of the Universe is a prime example.  Heidi used good judgement on that one. They put too many mediocre acts through.  The reason is that NBC says this show has to run x amount of weeks because of high ratings (sponsor$$)  and in order for that to happen they have to have way too many acts. 

Can you imagine going to Vegas and paying to see anyone, so far, other than maybe the comics we didn't see or tape man if he continues to be good?  

Some of the acts were fun but not headliner material.  The quick change act (Sos & Victoria) is interesting but clear how they do it and that is all they do.  It is a 5 minute act. 

It is always been like this.  I watch with a lot of FF hoping I will see a good comic or fabulous animal act!  

As a Philadelphia native (ok, outside Philly, and not at all into sports), I thoroughly enjoyed the Eagles player.

Ugh, of course every golden buzzer went to a singer. I really wish there was a "no backstories" rule for this show, unless whatever tragedy happened to the contestant is directly relevant to their act (the comedian with the stutter last year, for example). The girl seemed very nice and it's awful that she had to endure ovarian cancer at 16, but as someone else said, if she had sang that same song (that overplayed, cheesy-ass song) with no backstory, I doubt she would have gotten the golden buzzer, and perhaps not even unanimous praise.

I really enjoyed the Estonian contortionist/strength guy. I felt like his "banter" with the judges was a tad xenophobic (like we were laughing at him, not with him) but he's hella talented and I want to see more from him.

I was a little annoyed at the quick change act at first. The tube thing that they used in the beginning is not new; Katy Perry used it on one of her tours, and it was part of a gag in Popstar: Never Stop Never Stopping. But there was one part with a sheet, and the ending with just a toss of confetti, that sold me. Not to mention that every single one of those outfits was fabulous. Please tell me they have an Etsy shop or something...if this doesn't work out they should 100% go into the fashion industry. I'm just wondering if the quick change is all they do or if they're magicians with a bunch of different tricks (and more fabulous outfits).

I also liked the knife-throwing couple, and agreed that the wife was a dynamic part of the act. I already think that the person who gets knives thrown at them has skill (i.e. not flinching), but the way she moved without even facing her husband was really awesome.

• Love 1
12 hours ago, Lonesome Rhodes said:

As a shock change-up, how 'bout the knife act has her spit out some fake blood right after some random throw?  Tell me that wouldn't go viral!  You want something you've never seen, Simon?  :)

I'd go for that! Unfortunately, Heidi would probably vote no because it would be too gruesome for her.

2 minutes ago, rr2911 said:

I'd go for that! Unfortunately, Heidi would probably vote no because it would be too gruesome for her.

Maybe if she was using her super magical hand binoculars she could see well enough to know that it was fake blood. :-)

• Love 3
On ‎6‎/‎22‎/‎2016 at 1:31 PM, SnarkyTart said:

The trans woman comedienne actually pissed me off a little.  Sixy is not really that old, and all of her jokes were about being elderly...as in, maybe, 80-years-old. 

Thank you.  I thought it was just me being sensitive about my age.   60?  Still working, gardening, and doing an hour of cardio at the gym 4 times a week.  I don't feel "elderly", though my knees creak a little in the morning.  Howie is 60, Simon is close to 60, they seem more like they're my age, the comedian seemed more like my parents' age.

• Love 4
4 hours ago, ketchuplover said:

Before the golden buzzer act one or both female judges said that was the final act.  Simon had to golden buzz her even if she sucked.

I don't think she was really the last act, cuz you could see other acts setting up in the wings after she finished. It felt to me like that moment was either staged, or possibly something that organically happened that got swapped around in the editing room.

The auditions are aired out of order, but even if they weren't, this isn't the last week anyway...there's still at least one more audition episode.

• Love 3
2 hours ago, backformore said:

Thank you.  I thought it was just me being sensitive about my age.   60?  Still working, gardening, and doing an hour of cardio at the gym 4 times a week.  I don't feel "elderly", though my knees creak a little in the morning.  Howie is 60, Simon is close to 60, they seem more like they're my age, the comedian seemed more like my parents' age.

Exactly!  Plus, on the same night, Ronee Martin, the lady that Simon made sing another song (You Make Me Feel Like a Natural Woman) got a lot of love for her 62-year-old attractiveness.  Nick even teased about wanting to date her.  Can you even imagine that woman making  jokes about how she was elderly?  I don't think so!

• Love 1

The 14 year old singing "Summertime"  gave me flashbacks.   On American Idol, Simon LOVED Fantasia Barrino  doing that song, and I thought it was overwrought and mis-pronounced (SHummertime).  

I watch Idol and Voice for singing -  I watch this show for other kinds of acts.

• Love 3
(edited)
1 hour ago, helenamonster said:

I don't think she was really the last act, cuz you could see other acts setting up in the wings after she finished. It felt to me like that moment was either staged, or possibly something that organically happened that got swapped around in the editing room.

The auditions are aired out of order, but even if they weren't, this isn't the last week anyway...there's still at least one more audition episode.

yeah, watch Mel's outfits,  She'll be wearing her black bondage dress from the first week, then a black & white dress, then an orange dress, then her pink lace dress with the princess Leia hairdo.  And this was all within 10 minutes.  The order we see has nothing to do with the order acts actually auditioned. 

Edited by backformore
  • Love 3
6 hours ago, SnarkyTart said:

Plus, on the same night, Ronee Martin, the lady that Simon made sing another song (You Make Me Feel Like a Natural Woman) got a lot of love for her 62-year-old attractiveness.  Nick even teased about wanting to date her.

I don't disagree with your point, but I thought that particular contestant was 52? I may have misheard.

On the one hand, I agree with everything above about the age jokes sounding more appropriate to someone 80-not-60. On the other, I actually just recently had an experience with someone who was only 62, and I thought it odd they seemed to be hammering the "elderly" angle about themselves (not in a comedian context, just...life) and specifically struck me as sounding closer to what I'd expect from someone 80. So apparently, there's more variation in how "old" someone may seem/feel out there. And, devil's advocate, some people may hit that "elderly" threshold earlier than others. Depends on how you live your life.

• Love 3

Age is relative and changes for some people on a day to day basis. I'm 65, there are times, I'm shocked to remember I did not graduate high school yesterday, other times, I don't feel much different than I did in my 30s, but other times when life is hitting particularly hard or I'm trying to deal with my teenage great nephew, I feel 90. So for some people, they prefer to hit the 63 is old angle, and others 52 is young. Both are probably true for both people on the same day.

• Love 6

I think after the Golden Buzzer choices this season, we can officially change the name of the show to America's Kidz Got Singing. AGT, go jump back up your mother. (/30Rock)

I prefer to see a variety of acts here because even though I don't watch them, there are plenty of other shows that most of these singers could flock to. 

• Love 2
(edited)

Ugh. Nobody, girl OR boy needs to have hair as long as those twin boys. But when you are the parent OF boys, I think it's just plain selfish of parents to encourage it, because rightly or wrongly, there are basic societal expectations you are automatically putting them in the middle of, before they are old enough to make up their own mind about gender roles. At which time it would be FINE to defy them. But marching them out at that young an age with a look where people everywhere are talking to them as if they're girls... it's unfair to those kids. And clearly they don't like that aspect of it (because... they said they didn't). 

Plus, it looks like crap. 

I found myself wondering if they're home schooled. Not just the hair, but also the names and their mannerisms suggest it.

Edited by Kromm
  • Love 2
On 6/21/2016 at 11:18 PM, PhD-Purgatory15 said:

I think for the sake of variety, The Quick Changers,

I know it's been a lot of years since this show has let a Quick Change act through, but I find myself questioning an act where (seemingly) only 50% of the people on stage do outfit changes.  If she's the seamstress as well?  What's his role?. Waving his arms?

• Love 1
21 hours ago, friendperidot said:

Age is relative and changes for some people on a day to day basis. I'm 65, there are times, I'm shocked to remember I did not graduate high school yesterday, other times, I don't feel much different than I did in my 30s, but other times when life is hitting particularly hard or I'm trying to deal with my teenage great nephew, I feel 90. So for some people, they prefer to hit the 63 is old angle, and others 52 is young. Both are probably true for both people on the same day.

And age is relative based on what ever age you are.  The older you get, the higher the number that defines old to you is. Teenagers think 30 is old - if you are in your 30's, you think 50 is old - if you are in your 50's, you think 70 is old, etc...To the bulk of the audience, the "old" comic was "old"

I think her act works better if she goes for the "I am so old" jokes than if she tells jokes about what happened when she was "playing tennis the other day" even if she plays tennis every day in real life. Plus, her jokes may be older than her age, but she talked about things that people her age can relate to, at least indirectly.  When you are nearing sixty, you will probably know at least one person in your age range who are experiencing what she is talking about.  Also, for a stand up comic who is starting out (for the second time) she is old.  

I had no problem with her act and thought she was funny enough to go through (except that first joke which I blocked from my memory).  

• Love 1
9 hours ago, Kromm said:

I know it's been a lot of years since this show has let a Quick Change act through, but I find myself questioning an act where (seemingly) only 50% of the people on stage do outfit changes.  If she's the seamstress as well?  What's his role?. Waving his arms?

I thought he said he designed the outfits, which I assume means not only in a fashion-sense but in an enabling-the-changes-to-work-the-way-they-do sense. So he built it. She executes it.

(edited)
27 minutes ago, theatremouse said:

I thought he said he designed the outfits, which I assume means not only in a fashion-sense but in an enabling-the-changes-to-work-the-way-they-do sense. So he built it. She executes it.

He said she made the dress she is wearing.   I am calling BS on that. I think they are professionally made, they are far too slick unless you are an experienced seamstress.  Googling brings up patterns and how to make them sites and places to buy them.   

Edited by wings707

This is my first season watching the show and I started watching only because of Simon Cowell. I'm not sure what to make of this kinder, gentler Simon, but generally speaking I like the way the judges relate to each other, and to be honest I find them more entertaining than some of the acts! I guess I just have to try harder to get into the concept of this show. I understand that most people enjoy the novelty acts and the surprise factor of not knowing what they are going to see next. My main problem is, what is the sustainability of some of these acts? The Quick Changers, for example. I found them entertaining and obviously there is a lot of skill involved in creating the outfits and in the women manipulating them so that they disappear as they are supposed to, but the judges acted stunned and kept saying "how does she DO that" like it was the most amazing thing they had ever seen, and here people on this board have been easily able to google instructions on how it's done. But back to sustainability - what do they do for their next act? Do they have to come up with different outfits? And about the guy who hung things from his nipples etc. Does he just hang different things from different body parts in subsequent acts? People complain about the singers like they don't belong on this show, and I get that because that is not the main focus of the show, but at least they will hopefully sing a different song each time. What do these novelty acts do for a follow up? And finally, people have to stop saying that there are "plenty of other singing shows" for the singers to go on. Idol just ended its final season, if you haven't noticed, and I believe X-Factor ended a couple of years ago. So The Voice is all that's left. It's not fair to say there are lots of other shows. I personally enjoy the singers. Last year as I recall the two finalists were an amazing singer and a ventriloquist and the ventriloquist won. You couldn't pay me to go see a ventriloquist! Anyway I guess this is just not the show for me, but I'm going to keep watching just to see what the more unusual acts do going forward. 

• Love 1
1 hour ago, JMarie99 said:

This is my first season watching the show and I started watching only because of Simon Cowell. I'm not sure what to make of this kinder, gentler Simon, but generally speaking I like the way the judges relate to each other, and to be honest I find them more entertaining than some of the acts! I guess I just have to try harder to get into the concept of this show. I understand that most people enjoy the novelty acts and the surprise factor of not knowing what they are going to see next. My main problem is, what is the sustainability of some of these acts? The Quick Changers, for example. I found them entertaining and obviously there is a lot of skill involved in creating the outfits and in the women manipulating them so that they disappear as they are supposed to, but the judges acted stunned and kept saying "how does she DO that" like it was the most amazing thing they had ever seen, and here people on this board have been easily able to google instructions on how it's done. But back to sustainability - what do they do for their next act? Do they have to come up with different outfits? And about the guy who hung things from his nipples etc. Does he just hang different things from different body parts in subsequent acts? People complain about the singers like they don't belong on this show, and I get that because that is not the main focus of the show, but at least they will hopefully sing a different song each time. What do these novelty acts do for a follow up? And finally, people have to stop saying that there are "plenty of other singing shows" for the singers to go on. Idol just ended its final season, if you haven't noticed, and I believe X-Factor ended a couple of years ago. So The Voice is all that's left. It's not fair to say there are lots of other shows. I personally enjoy the singers. Last year as I recall the two finalists were an amazing singer and a ventriloquist and the ventriloquist won. You couldn't pay me to go see a ventriloquist! Anyway I guess this is just not the show for me, but I'm going to keep watching just to see what the more unusual acts do going forward. 

The judges, especially Simon, were lying/acting with the "how did they do that".  They've all see Quick Change acts before. Some audition every year, I believe, even if they don't get on air. And quite famously there was a really good one back on Season 1 or 2 (I forget which), who got all the way to the Finals I believe, and while none of these judges were on the show back then, Heidi has said she was a viewer of the show all the way back, and Simon was the Exec. Producer.  Plus there was a high profile (in other words one who got on TV) Quick change act on Britain's Got Talent, and Simon certainly saw THAT one with his own eyes.

• Love 2
14 hours ago, Kromm said:

Ugh. Nobody, girl OR boy needs to have hair as long as those twin boys. But when you are the parent OF boys, I think it's just plain selfish of parents to encourage it, because rightly or wrongly, there are basic societal expectations you are automatically putting them in the middle of, before they are old enough to make up their own mind about gender roles. At which time it would be FINE to defy them. But marching them out at that young an age with a look where people everywhere are talking to them as if they're girls... it's unfair to those kids. And clearly they don't like that aspect of it (because... they said they didn't). 

Plus, it looks like crap. 

I found myself wondering if they're home schooled. Not just the hair, but also the names and their mannerisms suggest it.

I agree, to a point.  I thought they were girls, until the one said when they went to Disney, someone called them "princesses."   Ok, deal with it, boys.   With their cherub faces, they could pass for either girls or boys.  If boys wear their hair long, they WILL be mistaken for girls sometimes. 

Though at their age, NEVER getting their hair cut is not really their choice, it's their parents. I wonder what the parents would say if one twin wanted a short hairstyle and the other did not.   

Welcome to our little corner of the world, @JMarie99.  I hope you'll soon return!

For me, there is nowhere else which gives "variety" acts any exposure.  There are any number of singing competitions.  Just as with singing, which can get very stale as TPTB shoehorn folks into what they want (Notice how Simon has already decided who/what each singer is?) every bit as much as a dance/cgi act or knife-throwing act.  Trained dogs?  Magic?  Comedy? Ventriloquism?  

The really good, or even greats, make anything fascinating.  AGT has had its share.  Again, it's the only place anymore which even offers a chance to see such.  I happened to love Landau, an older gentlemen whose voice was a dead ringer for Sinatra.  Yet and still, I'd rather have had many more quirky, well done, acts.

Is there no band, sans singer, worth a listen?  I know there are plenty.  Let's hear them!  And give them more than 2 minutes!!!!!

If this means they go with a wider audition net, and have only a very few weeks of "competitions" where we vote a very few winners through so as to avoid repetition?  Great!  

YMMV. 

• Love 3

I hear you, Lonesome Rhodes! AGT is indeed a place for the most unusual acts to get exposure. I recognize your name from other boards - aren't you the one who refers to judges as "jidges"? Never could figure that one out! But I digress. 

You say "there are any number of singing competitions." Now that Idol is gone, it's just The Voice, right? Where are these other numbers of singing competitions of which you speak?

I have to admit I am getting sucked in to the uniqueness of these acts. But as to the most quirky of them, I remain perplexed as to how they sustain their appeal once the voting begins.  Do they just keep doing their same routine, or do they have to vary it somewhat? Guess I'll just have to stick around and continue to watch! 

• Love 1
(edited)

I think that with the quick change act, like certain magic tricks, knowing how it's done actually increases your appreciation of the performers. It takes split second timing to bring off, and needs to be done smiling and with grace so the audience doesn't see the stress the performers are under. I was a little surprised that model Heidi didn't comment on the outfits, which to my untrained (male) eye looked pretty cool. Of course it didn't hurt (either the clothing or the act) that the woman was gorgeous.

I'm pretty sure that Simon asking that singer for another number was a set-up to build suspense. Like someone else commented, I actually enjoyed her first song (a Bonnie Raitt tune) more than "Natural Woman," which I've heard sung on contest shows a thousand times. So when Simon said that the first song wasn't right for her, does that mean if you're a black woman you have to sing something by Aretha, or be a soul diva? Apparently so.

I fear this season is shaping up to be 6 or 7 singers in the final 10, based on the golden tickets. I agree with others that Calista seems like a very nice girl and I wish her all the best, but her singing was only average. Maybe not even a chair turner on The Voice.

My first instinct was that Julia Scotti had been a man. Not that it matters, because I thought she was entertaining. The comics on this show always talk about themselves, whether it was the guy with the stutter or the nebbishes who talk about not being able to get dates. I am of about the same age, but was not bothered by the age jokes because I thought the routine was more about how out of shape she was.

I liked the Estonian dude, who combined strength with contortion and gymnastics. Will be interesting to see what else he has.

Edited by bluepiano
  • Love 1

Yup.  I am da "jidges" dude.  

It's a nod to Cat Deeley, the super awesome host of So You Think You Can Dance.  She would open each performance show by saying, "Here are your JIDGES!"  It's a quirk of her English accent.  After a bit, she's stopped saying the word (Here are your ....), and the audience will chime in, "Judges!" on cue.

Thanks for the great reply @JMarie99.  It's only now that we don't seem to have endless rounds of AI/The Voice.  Yet, singers can and do guest on chat shows and such.  There's specials/concerts and such, too.  Let's see if anything else materializes - for ANY type of acts.  Here's hoping.

• Love 2

This felt like a "Golden best of hits from the early years" episode, you got a quick change act, a magician, a sideshow act, a contortionist, knife throwers and even a nice sob story singer. Nothing we haven't seen before, but plenty of quality representatives from the usual categories. 

The Baron of the Universe - this guy fell straight out of a traveling freakshow act from the 1900s and as usual, I loved it. Not that he really DID anything above the usual, but his personality and looks were easy to get behind. Of course it gave the judges a chance to act like this was the most disgusting thing they had ever seen, well maybe if you actually LOOKED for once it might not surprise you? No? Okay, continue feeling surprised the next time then. 

Quick change couple - Piers Morgan's favourite type of act makes a return. As usual, this was impressive, but will fail to leave an impact in future rounds becasuse there's really nowhere else you can take this act. A clear example of the format of this show simply NOT being suitable sometimes. 

Deadly Games - Read what I wrote above, remove the Piers comment and add in a segment where I talk about how hot the lady looked. 

Elias & Zion - Are we SURE these weren't just the blues brothers shrunk to a VERY small size? I don't regularly enjoy the childen getting through based on how cute they are, but these 2 were so enjoyably quirky/strange I actually loved them. 

Calysta Bevier - Oh hello lady, you are going to sing, right? Yup, that's singing alright, sure is. Well that was nice singing and all but what makes you different from the others? Oh cancer? Oh I see. *golden buzzer is pushed, everyone loses their mind, best act ever*
Look, I'm not trying to make light of her condition, I'm sure what she went through was HELL and it's great things went alright in the end. But objectively speaking, was she in any way better than ANY of the other singers so far even in THIS same episode? No. She got the buzzer because her STORY made for good/inspirational TV. I was worried this show would return to it's "singers with sob stories get all the praise" ways when Simon was announced and so far with ALL 4 golden buzzer acts being singers, it's proven to be true. And it's just a bit soul crushing, because time and time again we've seen variety acts faulter because they run out of steam due to overexposure and they could ACTUALLY use this golden buzzer to skip a round and feel more fresh the next time around, where as singers actually need the extra performing time to gain confidence. But enough with the soapbox, yay golden confetti and music woo.

Ronee - Someone had to give Simon the chance to show off his "cut it" hand motion, there's probably a stage hand nervously staring at this hand, waiting to cut the music as soon as he raises it. Oh as for her? Probably the best singer so far, does that mean she gets the golden buzzer? HAH of course not. 

Vello Vaher - Haha Estonia? What weirdo freakish nation is THAT, I bet they all eat polar bears, who on earth actually lives there? *looks at passport* Well, guess this is where I reveal the dirty secret that I'm from Estonia. So you can imagine my surprise when seeing Vello's slightly creepy smile pop up, I thought someone had been messing with my feed again. I've actually seen him in VARIOUS talent shows around here and he's always been a bit of a one trick pony, so I don't think there's much of a future for him on this show, but good on him for trying and subjecting people to our horrible accent

Julia Scotti - Like you, Iw as thinking "is...she..no probably not..no wait is she?" the entire time, but good on her for not making a huge deal out of it and turning it into another sob story. Most of the comedians on this show have always been the "smile, slight chuckle" variety for me, but she ACTUALLY made me laugh out loud which easily makes her my favourite one so far. Hoping for good things to come.

Jon Dorenbos - Loved his energy and the fact he did something that showed a VERY good grasp on techniques that require VERY fast hands and a lot of misdirection. I'm a fan of magic and have been waiting for a really impressive one to show up and he certainly was one.

• Love 4

It's been a while since we've had quick change artists on the show. The problem with quick change is that it's the same exact thing every time. You can't really change it up or take it to the next level or whatever.

I did not realize until days after watching it that the piano playing twins were boys. I missed that part in their video intro. Oops. They were fun though.

Vello was amazing. Dang, that was cool.

Hook The Baron up with the guy from the other week who put the hook in his nose. Bleh. I hate how the judges say things like "I want to see it again" when they were turned around for the entire act. You couldn't even watch it the first time!

Another young singer gets the golden buzzer! And this time it's a teen cancer survivor! Singing Fight Song! Next. I really did not see what was so special about this.

Sad to say it but I'm not really feeling Simon as a judge here yet. I don't think it's a coincidence that the show is all about the singers again now that he's here. And I want mean Simon! How is it that Heidi is the mean judge this year?

I saw next week's preview and how sad that they're doing a special episode for "unique talent" - aka, you know, VARIETY. That should be every episode. And the girl shooting bows and arrows with her feet - saw it years ago with Lilia Stepanova.

Withe some creativity and showmanship, you can keep a quick change act interesting.  Prince Poppycock was fairly one note, but he made it to the finals...and might have won if not for Piers' stank-ass attitude.

• Love 4
45 minutes ago, Maverick said:

Prince Poppycock was fairly one note, but he made it to the finals...and might have won if not for Piers' stank-ass attitude.

To this day, I will never understand why Piers buzzed Prince Poppycock in the finals.  As far as I know, it was never addressed after the season but the producers should have held Piers's feet to the fire for that.  It was totally uncalled for.

• Love 4