Type keyword(s) to search

S11.E04: AGT Auditions Week 4

• Start Topic

Not to mention that every single one of those outfits was fabulous. Please tell me they have an Etsy shop or something...if this doesn't work out they should 100% go into the fashion industry.

Yeah, I've seen a number of quick change acts and they're fairly samey. However, the outfits were very distinctive and I think raised the quality of the act. The outfits also were distinctive silhouettes and may have required some innovations in how a quick change outfit is usually constructed. I particularly appreciated how they went from short to long to short again. Also IMHO, nothing will make a person appreciate a well executed quick change act like seeing some mediocre ones, and this was definitely a well executed quick change act.

I do question what they can do to keep the act feeling fresh in the context of this show. There are a few ways of doing the reveal that they didn't do yet that may look fairly different, but that kind of act isn't meant to sustain over multiple weeks.

• Love 1
On ‎6‎/‎25‎/‎2016 at 1:29 PM, JMarie99 said:

This is my first season watching the show and I started watching only because of Simon Cowell. I'm not sure what to make of this kinder, gentler Simon, but generally speaking I like the way the judges relate to each other, and to be honest I find them more entertaining than some of the acts! I guess I just have to try harder to get into the concept of this show. I understand that most people enjoy the novelty acts and the surprise factor of not knowing what they are going to see next. My main problem is, what is the sustainability of some of these acts? The Quick Changers, for example. I found them entertaining and obviously there is a lot of skill involved in creating the outfits and in the women manipulating them so that they disappear as they are supposed to, but the judges acted stunned and kept saying "how does she DO that" like it was the most amazing thing they had ever seen, and here people on this board have been easily able to google instructions on how it's done. But back to sustainability - what do they do for their next act? Do they have to come up with different outfits? And about the guy who hung things from his nipples etc. Does he just hang different things from different body parts in subsequent acts? People complain about the singers like they don't belong on this show, and I get that because that is not the main focus of the show, but at least they will hopefully sing a different song each time. What do these novelty acts do for a follow up? And finally, people have to stop saying that there are "plenty of other singing shows" for the singers to go on. Idol just ended its final season, if you haven't noticed, and I believe X-Factor ended a couple of years ago. So The Voice is all that's left. It's not fair to say there are lots of other shows. I personally enjoy the singers. Last year as I recall the two finalists were an amazing singer and a ventriloquist and the ventriloquist won. You couldn't pay me to go see a ventriloquist! Anyway I guess this is just not the show for me, but I'm going to keep watching just to see what the more unusual acts do going forward. 

What a great post! Especially about the "sustainability" of some acts and where are all those "singing shows" people have been talking about? I have referred to acts that can't move forward as "dead end acts". Acts like, dance couples, dance groups, aerobic aerial performers, motor cross bike riders, daredevil type acts, and other novelty acts just to name a few. Acts like singers, bands, comedians, and magicians will always have more growth and will continue to be the favorites to win. Also, any act that has a combos like computer generated effects. laser lights, mixed with some dancing also has proven to be successful in the past.

Hope you stay watching!  :) 

• Love 1

Acts like, dance couples, dance groups, aerobic aerial performers, motor cross bike riders, daredevil type acts, and other novelty acts just to name a few. Acts like singers, bands, comedians, and magicians will always have more growth and will continue to be the favorites to win.

Why do singers/bands/comedians/magicians have growth potential but dance couples, dance group, and aerial performers considered novelty acts? Dancers/aerialists dance a new routine every time.

• Love 2

Calysta was my favorite.   I'm sensing a trend that many are just going to dislike any girl who sings with a  good story and then gets the golden buzzer.  I've liked all of them and she was no different.  The singing was excellent and may have the best chance of being more commercial than the others. 

Ronne, the quick change couple and the twin kids were also talented, but that one kid was annoying and I doubt they could win.

I like all the different skills on this show.  It seems so different than Idol and maybe more interesting, especially in this round.