Type keyword(s) to search

Death In Paradise - General Discussion

• Start Topic

Man, I am so bummed Ardal is leaving!!! First Duane, then Florence and now Jack?? Show isn't going to be the same at all. My favorite team was Jack, Duane, Florence and JP. And now they'll all be gone but JP. :-(

• Love 2

While I’ve definitely missed characters, it hasn’t made me stop watching the show. It’s like original recipe Law and  Order. They went through all sorts of cast changes and still were a popular show for many, many years. 

• Love 7
9 hours ago, hula-la said:

While I’ve definitely missed characters, it hasn’t made me stop watching the show. It’s like original recipe Law and  Order. They went through all sorts of cast changes and still were a popular show for many, many years. 

This is also very typical of British shows that run more than a couple of seasons (series)...just about every show that I watch from the UK has a continually rotating cast of characters. It's just the way they do things. It never pays to get hooked on one character - you'll just break your heart over and over again.

• Useful 2
  • Love 4

Britbox is *finally* releasing episodes of season 8. They're not giving us any previous seasons (yet). Either I'm not checking every week, or they're dropping 2 episodes at a time, so I've watched the first 4. I miss Dwayne. I have never missed Humphrey. His "bolt of lightning" solutions were annoying. Ruby is mellowing after that hyperactive debut. Good. I didn't think I'd be able to take much of that. But "Uncle Selly" is cute.

I saw Don Warrington an another show (filmed before DiP) and barely recognized him. Patterson seems much heftier than Warrington really is; I'm not sure why I think that, but a nearly slender Warrington threw me - I had to wait for the credits at the end to watch for his name to make sure it was him. Go figure.

• Love 1

What happened to Florence? The last episode that aired here she was following her fiancé and the episode ended with Florence getting shot! The next episode that was shown Florence was gone and a woman from London was there to investigate Moore...

5 hours ago, bybrandy said:

Oh look another white male DI come to solve all the cases.  I would have liked them to switch that up a bit and don't know if I'll keep going.  

I made that observation long ago. If the Detective was a FBI Agent on say Guam whose officers got darker as you went down the ranks PBS never would have picked up the show. But for the anglophile  this isn't the first show with that template on American publicTV, it is merely the longest lasting one. Perhaps because it is contemporary and not a period piece 

• Love 2
6 minutes ago, libgirl2 said:

It is supposed to be a fish out of water story. A person who doesn't fit in. 

Well there are multigenerational black people in London and multigenerational white people on the island.

• Love 8
9 hours ago, libgirl2 said:

It is supposed to be a fish out of water story. A person who doesn't fit in. 

Lots of different types in the world, lots of different types in the world that aren't an immediate part of island live.  Middle aged white man is not the only fish out of water option.  

• Love 8
7 minutes ago, sadtvjunkie said:

Is there any way to see this now in the US or do I need to wait until it comes out on Netflix as usual?

I’ve watched the first 4 episodes online, if you search around you will find the episodes available for free. 

I still like the show, the mysteries are still enjoyable, but the cast just doesn’t have the chemistry that the cast of the early seasons had. I’m very curious to see the new lead detective and how he fits in. My favorite lineup was the lineup of season 3. I miss Camille, Dwayne and Fidel - Camille added a spark to her role and had more personality and wasn’t afraid to challenge the inspector or disagree with them at times, Dwayne added humor and his knowledge of the locals was great, and Fidel was good as well. Now the team just doesn’t have much chemistry, Ruby is annoying, Madeleine is dull, I like JP. I hope the new inspector adds a spark.

• Love 4
16 hours ago, sadtvjunkie said:

Is there any way to see this now in the US or do I need to wait until it comes out on Netflix as usual?

You mean beyond the broadcast on PBS? I think you can buy the entire run on Amazon

On 2/3/2020 at 3:08 PM, sadtvjunkie said:

It's not on Netflix any longer.  I think BritBox obtained exclusive rights for this and Shetland (grr.)  Although, surprisingly,  it looks like BritBox only has Season 8.  I thought for sure they'd have all seasons if they had exclusive rights.

Anyway, to watch legally in the US, you'll either have to wait until it airs on your PBS channel or get BritBox as I do think they sometimes release shows shortly after they finish in the UK. I don't have it but I know they do this with Shetland. 

• Useful 2

I watched the first episode with the new DI Parker.  I don't like him.  I found him annoying.  We already have Ruby.  Do we really need more annoying characters?  I miss Dwayne.  

On 3/16/2020 at 12:12 PM, LakeGal said:

I watched the first episode with the new DI Parker.  I don't like him.  I found him annoying.  We already have Ruby.  Do we really need more annoying characters?  I miss Dwayne.  

I loved him!

He has his difficulties but he soldiers on anyway. He's good at his job too as, of course, were all the others. Looking forward to the next series whenever it may air.

Ruby's growing on me too.

• Love 6
9 hours ago, Bridget said:

A little bit of good news during these crazy Coronavirus times:

An all new season of “Death in Paradise” (the ninth one) kicks off on PBS next Friday, April 3.

I thought it said April 4th. Either way I don't care, it will be on!

• Useful 1
  • Love 2
8 hours ago, libgirl2 said:

I thought it said April 4th. Either way I don't care, it will be on!

Good point!

My TV listing indicates that the new-to-viewers-in-the-States season starts next Friday, 4/3, but there is also an encore performance of the same episode (9x01) on Saturday, 4/4

• Useful 2
  • Love 1
18 hours ago, Door County Cherry said:

I think it might depend on when your local PBS airs it.  Mine is airing it on Saturday the 4th but other stations might be doing it on Friday. 

Mine has always aired it on Saturday nights.

1 minute ago, hula-la said:

I’m  sad. The PBS station where I watch Death in  Paradise is still showing reruns. I was all set for another murder on St. Marie. 

Yeah, my local station is back on season 3.  And then when I went to re-watch season 1 on Britbox, they changed the music:(  It was the original music last week so I don't know what happened.

• Useful 1

people keep saying new DI. I thought he is the same that was on last season, but it was temporary for him and he missed his daughter so he was going back.  The Commissioner secretly brought his daughter out so the DI decided to stay.  Did I dream all that?

• LOL 1
33 minutes ago, Gizkok said:

people keep saying new DI. I thought he is the same that was on last season, but it was temporary for him and he missed his daughter so he was going back.  The Commissioner secretly brought his daughter out so the DI decided to stay.  Did I dream all that?

The time that I tuned in there was a new lighter skinned black woman Detective Sergeant  who wore sundresses instead of shorts and sandals 

• Useful 1
5 hours ago, Gizkok said:

I don't think you're dreaming it as it sounds familiar but I think it took place back when Jack first started. 

There have been (or will be) four DIs.  The first was  Richard Poole who was killed at the beginning of season 3 (*sob*) which brought on Humphrey.  Humphrey was there from the beginning of season 3 until the middle of season 6.  

Jack started in the middle of season 6 and since it appears that a staple of this show is having the detective wonder if he wants to stay on the island, Jack was debating whether or not he'd want to stay.  Then his daughter came so he decided to stay. She eventually leaves and I think she's the reason he decides to leave but that hasn't aired yet here. 

Jack is leaving in the middle of this season (the 9th) and will be replaced by Neville-the next new DI. 

• Useful 2
  • Love 2
On 4/18/2020 at 3:45 PM, Gizkok said:

That was episode 8.8, the season finale.

Mooney leaves in 9.4 (nooo!) and the new inspector arrives in the next episode.

• Useful 1
  • Love 1

I thought he was pretty decent, but with every change it takes a bit of time to warm up to them.  I told my husband, its like Doctor Who, they bring a new Doctor and I'm like ugh, I don't like them and end up loving them. I thought Matt Smith was too young and too cutesy and he's my favorite of the new era.

• Useful 2
  • Love 1

I liked him pretty well.  I laughed at all the side-eye from the officers trying to take him in.

I feel terrible that he is stuck there with all his medical problems and issues, though! 

• Useful 1
  • Love 3
On 5/3/2020 at 5:12 PM, BlackberryJam said:

Isn’t the running joke going to be that he’s a hypochondriac and the beauty and laid back nature of the islands will cure him? I mean, I’m fine with that, but I can see it coming.

I am sure he will loosen up as time goes by.

• Love 1