Type keyword(s) to search

Flip Or Flop - General Discussion

• Start Topic

I doubt inventory is low if they have 15 flips all going on at the same time. 

I never heard them state that all their flips are on foreclosed homes (premise of the show). But let's say they are flipping 15 foreclosed homes, they aren't alone at those auctions. With all of those people jostling to pick up foreclosures, the inventory of foreclosed homes must be shrinking.

They're not all foreclosures, in fact most of them aren't. And they haven't bought a house at auction since the first season. 

This last one was total filler and unremarkable. And once again ruined by fakery. The electric panel, for example - please don't tell me they didn't realize it wasn't up to code and would have to be replaced until well into the remodel. That's such an obvious thing, and they had three contractors putting in bids. You mean to tell me none of the contractors looked at the electric panel? That's like one of the most basic things to check during an inspection. Same with the plumbing. You can tell if there's galvanized steel without ripping out the walls. It's visible somewhere. Why do they keep pretending to discover these things mid-construction? It just makes them look like idiots, like this is the first house they ever tried to flip and they have no idea what they're doing.

• Love 4

This kind of fakery happens on many HGTV shows. I just assume it's producer-driven or demanded by the network execs, who think people watching these shows are idiots. T&C are so great together, and the whole process is so interesting, I never get tired of watching. The fact that it's only 30 minutes helps too.

This is by far my favorite renovation show. I'm tired of Chip's antics on Fixer Upper and the Scott brothers are ridiculously overexposed. I still enjoy Tarek and Christina, even with the manufactured drama. She has great taste in finishes - with the exception of that god-awful laminate floor she picked out for a house several weeks ago.

• Love 2

Yeah...once they found out they couldn't build the extra unit I wondered why they didn't seem to consider adding a bedroom and bathroom. If they were willing to go to the bother of building an entire second structure, and knowing that there is plenty of room on the lot, it seems like the obvious way to get a higher value.

I'm guessing we didn't hear the whole story, per usual. I didn't love what they did to the house, either. 

Why didn't they just clear out all the trash, and sell it as is.  Someone else could tear that one down and put up a nice big house.  They didn't want to tear down because they thought they could add an additional home.

Between the foundation repairs and replacing all the plumbing, and paying too much because of the other guy bidding, they invested way too much in this one place.

I really liked the kitchen in this most recent episode. Christina should just stock a whole warehouse of white shaker cabinets since those are her go-to design choice.

When Tarek called the listing agent, the agent answered the phone, "Hello?"  What agent doesn't answer with their name or something more professional to indicate that you have called a business / professional number?

You mean to tell me none of the contractors looked at the electric panel?

Totally ridiculous.  I really do wish they would give us more credit. Tarek is not that good of an actor to seem so SHOCKED by these revelations on every single project.  I would budget electric and plumbing for each and every one of these rehabs, and that would be a huge part of my marketing of the property as well.

• Love 2

Christina should just stock a whole warehouse of white shaker cabinets since those are her go-to design choice.

Only recently. She used to do the super-dark cabinets all the time. Which makes me wonder if the trend has suddenly changed or if she's just trying to mix it up for the sake of the show. It's amazing how quickly trends are born and die. It used to be granite granite granite and now everyone has to have quartz. What's next, gold marble? 

I'm still waiting for avocado appliances to make a come-back.

• Love 1

It's amazing how quickly trends are born and die. It used to be granite granite granite and now everyone has to have quartz. What's next, gold marble? 

I'm still waiting for avocado appliances to make a come-back.

I've been doing some house-hunting recently, and it is amazing how much "on-trend" stuff I see in recently renovated houses, and then also how much stuff there is that was clearly all the rage c. 5-10 years ago, but now looks very dated. (This is particularly true of "dramatic" looks, like very bold granite counters, back-splashes, and bathroom tile, though that could just be a personal preference issue for me.) Meanwhile, Craftsman-style houses are still lovely, IMO, and will never go out of style.

My early-1960s apartment has the original turquoise stove and refrigerator. I love them. (And it's amazing how much better shape they're in than so many appliances that are a third of their age.) The avocado color can stay away, but pleasantly bold colors can be very nice. A realtor told me that she recently sold a house that had the original turquoise kitchen appliances, and the buyer fell in love with them and kept them. Stainless steel looks pretty nice, but I spent so many years in food service wiping down and polishing massive stainless steel refrigerator doors every day that they're not high on my wishlist. 

• Love 1

More than most, the Norwalk(?) house seemed to be almost all kitchen.  A couch, then a kitchen.
And for almost half a million dollars, the house looks like what used to be called a crackerbox.

Only recently. She used to do the super-dark cabinets all the time. Which makes me wonder if the trend has suddenly changed or if she's just trying to mix it up for the sake of the show.

One of the things this show is best for is trend-watching, particularly for what is changing. The OC area that T&C work in tends to run a little bit ahead of the rest of the country, so if you are a house flipper or you are about to sell your house, it is very useful to see what the current trend is. Even if the flips are likely at least 6 months old by the time we see them.

Of course, some things like quartz with little sparkly flecks, may NEVER be popular in other parts of the country, there is really just a tad too much "bling" in the designs to work in quieter, more conservative markets. The Realtors in my area tend to wear sensible heels and a lot less jewelry and makeup, which means a T&C design is not as likely to fly here. Sure, buyers in the mid range homes still want nice kitchens and bathrooms, but probably toned down from this show.

(edited)

1) This show does NOT need to be an hour...because as someone said they'd just fill the time with MORE fake drama, when the show already has too much of that.

2) HGTV and the producers don't care what we want.

3) I'm SICK of the fake way they find the house (or the re-creation of how they find the house...the fake phone calls, the fake bids, the fake unexpected complications. This isn't in the budget, that isn't in the budget. They have a day to decide if they want the house.....yet they can get three contractor bids in that time? WHY don't producers get that they DO NOT have to make up this fake crap for viewers to like and watch the show?!!

4) I just don't think there are THAT many flip opportunities out there, where you can invest that much into a house and sell at a 50 profit 45 days later.

I live in the DC area....and the only people who are giving properties away at such a low price that you could do that.....are agents selling houses for kids who've inherited a house their elderly parents didn't update for 50 years. Even in a foreclosure is the spread that much and you can pay a contractor and make a profit a month later? In my established neighborhood anyway, only if a person did the work themselves would they make a profit...or unless you got a VERY VERY discounted contractor's bid. There's just not that much spread. If you buy a house 50K less than market, and it needs 80 worth of work....uh that math doesn't work. My kitchen remodel was 25K alone, hardwood floors 8K, carpeting 5K, whole house paint job, 7K . Plus Tarek and Christina pay for staging so add that in.

I just have a lot of questions about any flipping show.

Edited by selhars
  • Love 2

1) This show does NOT need to be an hour...because as someone said they'd just fill the time with MORE fake drama, when the show already has too much of that.

2) HGTV and the producers don't care what we want.

3) I'm SICK of the fake way they find the house (or the re-creation of how they find the house...the fake phone calls, the fake bids, the fake unexpected complications. This isn't in the budget, that isn't in the budget. They have a day to decide if they want the house.....yet they can get three contractor bids in that time? WHY don't producers get that they DO NOT have to make up this fake crap for viewers to like and watch the show?!!

4) I just don't think there are THAT many flip opportunities out there, where you can invest that much into a house and sell at a 50 profit 45 days later.

I live in the DC area....and the only people who are giving properties away at such a low price that you could do that.....are agents selling houses for kids who've inherited a house their elderly parents didn't update for 50 years. Even in a foreclosure is the spread that much and you can pay a contractor and make a profit a month later? In my established neighborhood anyway, only if a person did the work themselves would they make a profit...or unless you got a VERY VERY discounted contractor's bid. There's just not that much spread. If you buy a house 50K less than market, and it needs 80 worth of work....uh that math doesn't work. My kitchen remodel was 25K alone, hardwood floors 8K, carpeting 5K, whole house paint job, 7K . Plus Tarek and Christina pay for staging so add that in.

I just have a lot of questions about any flipping show.

It's all about the comps, and what the market will bear.

A friend in one of the California beach areas is renovating her 1930 bungalow, taking it from 2 br, 1 bath, small kitchen, living rm, dining rm and laundry closet to 3 br, 2.5 bath, much larger kitchen open to a family area, separate dining, separate living and large laundry. This reno will cost around $350,000 and all the area realtors she has consulted say it will bump up the value of her house (in the present market) by $500,000+ - and they have the comps that show it.

So it depends on the market. I will agree that when I was looking for my present house 2 years ago, I looked at a lot of fixers and the conservative estimate of what it would truly cost to purchase the house and fix the problems and update the finishes was FAR more than the house could be sold again for. None of the fixers in my market, at my costs to fix something up (with us doing 80% of the work, which we do know how to do), penciled out in the slightest.

On the other hand, the houses in my friend's neighborhood are 1 million+ and in my neighborhood they are $250,000-$350,000.

• Love 1
(edited)

Plus, the reason they get so many of these houses for a song is because they already know they are going to have to completely re-wire and re-plumb, put on a new roof, spray for termites, etc. etc. The seller knows it, and the buyers know it. That's why the fakery makes them look like such idiots half the time - they'd have to be to buy a house like that and not know what they're getting into, especially if they've been doing this for a long time. Even more so if they've already had a contractor walk through the house before they've even bid on it. If you have a contractor that walked through the house and didn't tell you the electrical panel had to be replaced until after you bought the house, you never use that contractor again.

I also think they fudge the cost of the renovation because the reason they always seem to make big profits is because, with ten to fifteen flips going on at once, they no doubt get all kinds of deals from suppliers by buying in bulk. So in reality they're probably buying things like granite, flooring and appliances all at once, and are given a choice rather than being able to "shop" and pick out things specifically for those houses.

I think showing how this all really works would be far more interesting but for whatever reason it's not what HGTV wants.

Edited by iMonrey
  • Love 1

As usual, my DVR cut off during the last episode.     Did they get a full price offer on the Norwalk house which was on the market for $449,000?  Was wondering how much they made off of it.

We have a nice situation in our neighborhood.  Someone bought a house a few weeks ago that is the exact same floor plan and square footage as our house.   This tract was built in 1967, and still looks great (Sacramento, CA area).   This particular house had sat on the market for over a year, pictures on Zillow showed that much of the house still had the original cabinets, counter-tops, bathroom fixtures, etc.   I told my husband it would probably be a flip, and sure enough, the big container unit is there to haul away the demo material.  The front of the house has already been sandblasted for new paint, new facia boards, etc.   It will be really interesting when they have an open house and we can see exactly what was done to the house and how much the flipper is going to make.  We are looking for ideas on remodeling, so a new flip of a house just like ours will be nice to see.  (because I have absolutely NO imagination and need someone else to show me what to do).

• Love 1

As usual, my DVR cut off during the last episode.     Did they get a full price offer on the Norwalk house which was on the market for $449,000?  Was wondering how much they made off of it.

According to their FB, it was $440,000 months later.  I didn't look through the comments to see if they specified how long they held onto it.

Does anyone know if the at-home sequences are filmed at their real house? The reason I ask is because wherever it is the house/decor is very plain and almost empty, which surprises me. I assumed they'd have a beautifully decorated home.

If they are serious about their flipping, I would guess that they move into homes that don't sell quickly and don't have a traditional "house".  I've seen their "at home" scenes with at least 5 or 6 different houses in the background.  There was one episode where Christina was saying she didn't want to move again and it looks like they've been in their most recent home for awhile.  I also think that's why they are doing the at home show... they'll finally settle down into one home with two kids.

• Love 1

More fake drama. No way they were ever going to keep those awful cabinets and tiled counter tops let alone the carpeting and red brick fireplace. I kept thinking Christina will never go for this. What is the point of making Tarek look like such a doofus?

• Love 1

It was SOOOO obvious that Christina was going to come in and nix all of the lower-budget ideas LOL.

The investment partner's name escapes me at the moment, but I was pleased to see he got rid of his silly hairdo. 

Was that home really only two bedrooms?  For half a million+ bucks?  #california

• Love 2

Yes, he looked stupid wanted to keep everything and go as cheap as possible. He reminded me of that Slade guy they partnered with who wanted to upgrade nothing but sell  high. 

The investment partner's name escapes me at the moment, but I was pleased to see he got rid of his silly hairdo.

His name is Pete, and in the last episode where he was actively involved with one of their flips, he was actually pushing for spending more money than Tarek wanted in order to get a better return. So it really rang false when he was saying let's not do anything but clean this up and sell it. It's like they keep coming up with fake gimmicks for every episode to make it seem different or new. Which I guess is understandable since all these flips are pretty much the same.

I'd be interested to know how they know Pete and how many of their flips they partner on. 

• Love 1
(edited)
I'd be interested to know how they know Pete and how many of their flips they partner on.

When this show was new, Tarek stated in an interview that Pete is their investment partner on all of their flips.  I don't know if that has changed.

Edited by Bastet
  • Love 1

New guy here. Started watching Flip or Flop for several reasons.

1. I'm a retired single family builder from the midwest so reality show on houses are my deal.

2. It doesn't hurt that Christina is really cute.

Thoughts.

1. Their reno cost are stupid low. Must be California illegal labor to do stuff that cheap. Your gonna redo the plumbing on a 1000 sf home for $6k. BS.

2. Love the staging they do but again the cost seem stupid low to provide that much furniture that cheap.

3. Somewhere I read they have 15 flips going at the same time. In SoCal traffic that would seem almost impossible to do and keep pace.

Still a cute show but the numbers to an old builder don't seem right.

• Love 2
(edited)

1. Their reno cost are stupid low. Must be California illegal labor to do stuff that cheap. Your gonna redo the plumbing on a 1000 sf home for $6k. BS.

Could not agree more. We redid much of our main floor last year (~950ft2, included the kitchen, half bath, and hardwoods everywhere including two flights of stairs) and spent nearly $200K. Granted, we did it high-end and we hired an excellent contractor that managed the whole thing so we did not do it on the cheap. Still, even with that, I cannot imagine how their costs can be so low. I see this with most HGTV shows and wish they would explain that labor is not included and/or they are getting materials at cost or whatever it is. I think they are giving people a false impression of what it costs to do this sort of work and do it right.

ETA we are also in Northern California (SF Bay Area) so the costs should not be wildly divergent from their Orange County focus.

Edited by jcbrown
  • Love 2

I could see the quoted prices being true if they were quoting what was paid out of pocket, at their obvious bulk & camera discount. I also think they probably bundle their electrical, plumbing etc with different projects running concurrently. Sort of "you do plumbing this week on five of our houses and we'll pay you $20k."

New guy here. Started watching Flip or Flop for several reasons.

1. I'm a retired single family builder from the midwest so reality show on houses are my deal.

2. It doesn't hurt that Christina is really cute.

Thoughts.

2. Love the staging they do but again the cost seem stupid low to provide that much furniture that cheap.

3. Somewhere I read they have 15 flips going at the same time. In SoCal traffic that would seem almost impossible to do and keep pace.

Still a cute show but the numbers to an old builder don't seem right.

The staged furniture gets packed up, and it goes back to the staging company.  So the money they make is just for putting the furniture in, and setting it up, then hauling it away after.  I was thinking it was expensive.  Lol

I could see the quoted prices being true if they were quoting what was paid out of pocket, at their obvious bulk & camera discount. I also think they probably bundle their electrical, plumbing etc with different projects running concurrently. Sort of "you do plumbing this week on five of our houses and we'll pay you $20k."

Quantity discounts are small as labor cost are static. You might get a small (5-10%) discount for cash but nothing remotely as cheap as they are getting stuff done. Again has to be illegal labor to be done this cheap.

Demo cost has to include dump fees plus hauling fees and in SoCal those have to be big.

The staged furniture gets packed up, and it goes back to the staging company.  So the money they make is just for putting the furniture in, and setting it up, then hauling it away after.  I was thinking it was expensive.  Lol

I assumed the furniture is stored and reused but just the cost to stage and take down again seem really low.

• Love 1
(edited)

Another thing that bugs me is the "as is" concept in SoCal. It has got to be a sellers market to pay the asking price without seeing the property to access and then deal with the deplorable shape of the interior.

But the one that blew me away was the house they paid the asking price, had to wait 30 days for the renters to be evicted, deal with clean-up, demolition, fumigation and then have a mechanics lien to boot. No where but SoCal would that crap be kosher.

Another thing is sales commissions are never disclosed. It's hard to imagine that none of the buyers of the flips have real estate agents. The closing cost are not enough to include commissions. The co-op fee on a $500k should be somewhere in the $16-17k range.

I think this is a show to enjoy the reno process, the cuteness of the couple, the flattering finished product and ignore the money figures as they aren't properly disclosed or even remotely real world applications.

Edited by CaptainCranky

They totally changed it up in this episode ... usually when Tarek says they have to go see a house, Christina says, "Let me call the babysitter."  This time she said, "I can't go.  She has a doctor's appointment."  Gasp.  Of course leading into the fake drama of making decisions without her that she will then overrule.

Regarding the lack of privacy in the back yard, if you can't change the fence, do some privacy landscaping.  I know that they didn't because of the cost.

Quantity discounts are small as labor cost are static. You might get a small (5-10%) discount for cash but nothing remotely as cheap as they are getting stuff done. Again has to be illegal labor to be done this cheap.

I've noticed they make a point of showing the name of the dealers they get supplies from - countertops, cabinets, flooring, etc. I'm guessing the free advertising/sponsoring by those companies is how they get a lot of stuff cheaper than normal. Same with the stagers - they always show the name of their company in the caption so that's free advertising for them too.

Another thing I noticed this week - right before the new episode was a rerun of one from a previous season, and the tile flooring they picked for the bathroom in the rerun was the exact same tile they chose for the bathroom in the new episode that immediately followed it. It was a very distinctive grey textured tile. That further convinced me that have a bulk supply of tile and flooring somewhere and the scenes where they're "shopping" for one particular house are bogus.

More fake drama. No way they were ever going to keep those awful cabinets and tiled counter tops let alone the carpeting and red brick fireplace.

...and at the same time mention doing granite counter tops in the bathroom! Yeah, that was gonna fly.

I noticed (and checked again), that this episode's copyright was 2014.

Oh, you have got to watch some of the First Time Flippers shows on DIY.

Some are decent, but some are scary, and if I'd bought some these, then saw the show, I'd be really pissed.

• Love 1

I have a Tarek question and I'm not certain where it goes so here I am. Did he lose weight due to his thyroid now working correctly or for his back problems or what?

Does anyone know Tarek's family background? What is the origin of el Moussa? And I can't place his mom's accent. Where is she from? Even Tarek sounds like he has a very slight accent but I can't put my finger on it.

Does anyone know Tarek's family background? What is the origin of el Moussa? And I can't place his mom's accent. Where is she from?

Tarek's mother is from France.  Not sure about his father, but probably from one of the North African former French colonies....Algeria, Tunisia, Morocco? 

Another flop! I guess they're getting the message to mix it up a bit. And I have to admit, it was pretty funny watching them stand there waiting for people to come to the Open House. 

That said, I think this show is on its last legs. The problem is that the more they fake these "surprises" during the remodeling process, the dumber it makes them look. It was one thing when the show first started out - you could say "Oh, they're new at this, they have to learn from their mistakes." By now, though, it just makes them look like idiots. Every time Tarek walks into a house and decides he can get in and out for $20 grand or so and it ends up being more like $80 grand, it makes him look like he doesn't know what the hell he's doing, even after four seasons of this. Like he's got a learning disability or something.

I've also been thinking about the fact that we never see Daniel or Israel anymore, and it makes me wonder if maybe they realized being on this show was kind of ruining their reputation. Why would anyone want to hire them as contractors, when week after week they fail to notice really basic, and major, repair work that will obviously need to be done on the initial walk-through, and don't discover it until well into the remodeling project? Who would hire a contractor that doesn't even think to look in the garage when they're first inspecting a house? Or notice the electrical panel or water heater are badly in need of replacing? I sure wouldn't.

I think the only way to save this show is to really change up the format and be more realistic about what T&C are doing. Have them take us around to the dozen or so flips they're working on at the same time and show us the various stages they're all in. Show us how they get discounts on material, and how much sponsors pay them to advertise their brand names on TV. That kind of stuff.

• Love 5

That they said they didn't look at the garage before buying was beyond ridiculous.  I was watching with my 9 year old and when Tarek first said the reno may be around $30 - $35 K (I forget), I said, "Double that number."

Christina seemed so shocked when she entered the house, but come on, they have seen much worse.  And of course she wanted to spend more money, which in many cases makes sense, but I think they went overboard with this one.  They absolutely should do follow-ups to let us know what really happened with the properties.

I think this show is on its last legs.

I agree.  I don't know why I still watch it!

I still watch it because I like them, and I like the work they do. But the format is tired and frustrating. They can't keep having week after week after week of unexpected "surprises" they would have caught if they'd done even a half-assed job of inspecting before purchasing without making themselves look increasingly stupid.

Then again, Love It Or List It is still going strong and they basically repeat the exact same scenario every episode too.

• Love 3

Why is landscaping/driveway always not calculated during the contractor's initial bid? It drives me crazy to see the landscaping and/or remodeling of the driveway be an additional expense when it's right there. I mean, a bad driveway is right in front of the house, why isn't pouring new concrete and adding sod be part of the original bid?

• Love 3

Every HGTV show that has anything to do with remodeling follows the same format with regards to the "surprises". TPTB on this network like it, and they must think the target demographic wants to see it. That's why they don't have any real designers anymore: no serious professional wants to look like an incompetent idiot. The switch from showing genuinely inspiring and useful ideas to reality entertainment sent HGTV right down the toilet, but that must be where the bosses want it.

Season 3 is terrible. Why do people or networks or whoever take a great tv format and change it.

The first 2 years were really good shows. I liked it with Izzy he was a great addition now he is gone and they treat us like imbeciles with their explanation. I also liked the way they bought

houses at the auctions. If Izzy is busy on other projects then take the camera's to where he is working and continue the show. They got rid of the Latin contractor back to all Caucasians. As a Latina I think it is offensive as well as just plain jealousy because the public liked Izzy. It is July 1 2015 the show is not getting any better

BRING IZZY BACK

The show is still enjoyable. That said, the two bedroom room FLOP from last week was a dumb buy. At least, Christina did voice her opinion that she didn't think it was a good buy. I thought they were going to add another bedroom make a 3 bedroom house. The two bedroom was too limiting at an astronomical price. No wonder it flopped. I wonder if it ever sold?!

Flip or Flop Follow-Up

Series premiere: June TBD

HGTV must have pushed this back.  It's not listed anywhere on the site, only the original Flip or Plop series.

I had no idea that Tarek had thyroid cancer until I read this thread.  I'm glad that he's recovering and I'm happy that he and Christina are about to welcome a sibling for Taylor.

(edited)

I just started to watch this show and I'm astounded by the budget for renovations. It doesn't make any sense at all. I find it annoying and kind of dishonest about the flipping business. Jeff Lewis may be nutty on Bravo's Flipping Out, but he strikes me as always honest about what he is paying, the deals he is making, and how he manages his contractors.

Christina doesn't seem to add much to me, other than choosing some design stuff.

Just a PS to add: if they have 15 flips going on at the same time, that is a whole lot of cash on hand to make all cash offers!

Edited by lightbeam

They posted on Facebook,

SPOILER ALERT!
After a few weeks on the market.. The home in tonight's new episode in Downey sold for $430,000!

Can't remember now if that's a profit or not.