Type keyword(s) to search

S04.E10: And Did It...My Way

• Start Topic

(edited)

This episode really looks like it was punched in the face by the early to mid-90s. Repeatedly.

So, let's see what the gals of the gang think is appropriate attire for a Vegas wedding

Appropriate or not, Kelly, Brenda and Donna can least somewhat pass for college students. Andrea looks like an associate dean who decided to tag along. Seriously, whose kitten in make-up and costuming did Gabrielle run over?

Her features have never looked wonkier.

Yikes! What the hell is happening here?

I will say, Donna/Tori looks so much better with her more relaxed hair style this season. Too bad it doesn't last beyond this season.

Edited by AndySmith
  • Love 1

Jeez, that shot of Jackpot Andrea scared the crap out of me:  way to start my Monday morning.

In her defense, that periwinkle suit looks straight out of the Ally McBeal playbook.

• Love 1

This may be the most obvious comments of obviousness, but it irks me that the gang has made no new friends in college. Yea, I understand that for the show they can't have a lot of new cast members and actors have contracts, but come on. Also, is Andrea Dan Rubin's only resident? Where is the rest of the floor? The only new people they meet are either crazy sex addicts, rapists, or rape victims. Of course, I didn't watch past this season in its original run. 

• Love 1
9 minutes ago, CicelyAlaska said:

This may be the most obvious comments of obviousness, but it irks me that the gang has made no new friends in college. Yea, I understand that for the show they can't have a lot of new cast members and actors have contracts, but come on. Also, is Andrea Dan Rubin's only resident? Where is the rest of the floor? The only new people they meet are either crazy sex addicts, rapists, or rape victims. Of course, I didn't watch past this season in its original run. 

I guess David and Steve were like the only one. I mean he had some guy in Season 5 called Lenny and Steve had Muntz and a few KEG guys. The girls? Not so much. 

Found it funny that technically Brian and Tori in that scene were kind of under aged. Good on Nana for winning on the slots, the most old lady gambling game ever. 

Still get a kick out of David and Steve this episode. At the strip club and cracking up laughing at the wedding and I hate hearing about the god damn 'Scene' that Dylan goes on and on about. 

Reverend Stringtie owned a liquor store in Beacontown but got sick of all those underage kids trying to buy beer.  So he moved to Las Vegas and had to deal with these shitheads instead.  Probably why he's still so cranky.

1 hour ago, CicelyAlaska said:

Friends continued this tradition too--people work and live in a big city yet only hang out with the same 6-8 people ALL THE TIME.  Even with Seinfeld, Jerry dated a lot, Elaine had that Bizarro Jerry, and Kramer had a variety of friends who we never saw but knew about.  I do wish that at least we'd have heard about some off-screen hang outs. 

But I think The Gang thought they were just so wonderful that the only people they hung out with were the ones they dated.  I always felt bad for Valerie, Claire, and even Ray who always knew they were always only temporarily in The Gang.

Gotta love Steve. He's not to bothered by the wedding, he's just trying to enjoy Vegas now that he's there. Good for him. Also, he does look good in those glasses (I may be getting a crush on Steve 20 years to late). I never actually realised back in the day that David was such an ass ALL THE TIME. But I also kind of bought the "Luke Perry is the new James Dean" story, which goes to show that in my teens I was just about as smart as Stuart. 

• Love 2

I was thinking how David would has his ass handed to him if he talked that way to a flight attendant now.  He was always so bothered and beyond annoyed with everyone.  I doubt the writers were this astute, but would this be part of his later diagnosed bipolar disorder?

I used to think Luke was cute too- now he just seems like a dork!  I'd have hopped on Sears, Rique, Dan, or even that Mark guy (who Kelly dates and he helps Brandon win a scholarship).  All so much cuter. 

On a side note- I think it's interesting how Steve started out totally racist and immature and ends up together a parent with a Japanese gal (Janet).

• Love 1

I'm not sure i agree-  Claire became so tight with the group that she lived with the girls and was chosen and treated superior to Val (who had more of a family tie to the group and expected sense of obligation) . In the Val reads Kelly's diary episode and conveys the bitchy dirt that is her thoughts, Kelly seemed to categorize Claire & Donna both as her best friends. 

Also they had other pals outside the HS clique. Kelly met this nice girl Tara. 

• Love 4

And Dylan, if you're gonna use the infedelity story, get your facts straight: that guy wasn't in her aerobics class. It was a cardio funk class. Never forget.

• Love 3
24 minutes ago, Petunia13 said:

Also they had other pals outside the HS clique. Kelly met this nice girl Tara. 

I literally laughed out loud.

I cannot wait until we get to Kelly's drug problem/rehab stint so that we can have the introduction of crazy Tara. 

Also, this season notwithstanding, Claire (where she was gross and terrible) was like the coolest character in the history of the show (I would say Gina but I think a lot of that is just me loving the actress on General Hospital and respecting her for being like "wow, this was a shitshow and a huge mistake. I want out of my contract so I can back to daytime). Which of course, is why she only lasted a few years.

• Love 1

Maybe Shannen had drama with the actor who played Stuart/Stewart and they didn't know if they'd be able to get her or him to work together again? Because I completely thought they broke up at this moment and thought it was weird to go from almost marrying to breaking up right after saying you loved each other. I'm a few episodes ahead of the podcast and it still seems like they're not even together. So weird.

• Love 1

I nearly drove off of the road with Glee when I heard what I think was Sarah paraphrasing my scrawn Dylan's escapes (French baby mama, Stuart, drag racer, etc) comment on the forum.   I have a scrawny 11yr old who has scrawny 13yr old friends and cannot imagine any of them being able to be a part of "The Scene". 

• Love 2

I had/have the biggest girl crush on the gal who played Gina- so gorgeous.  I can't believe she was Brian Austin Green's baby-mama.  That guy sure dated some cute girls. 

Tara...I cannot wait!  Pretty much everyone has had some addiction story line, right, except for Steve, Brenda, and Andrea.

And yes, Claire was part of the group, until she disappeared to France- maybe she and Brenda became friends.  I was always so sad about how badly Val wanted to be in the group, and how mean they all were to her- esp. Kelly. 

• Love 1
9 hours ago, AndySmith said:

Damn, poor Claire.

To be fair on Claire. She was in the group mainly because she dated David I guess? Plus she wouldn't be there if it weren't for Brandon. The only thing Kelly brought was Tara (YES!!) and Donna brought some stalkers. 

I heard the girl who played Gina asked out because of Jennie and Tori. I dunno if that's true. And well I think out of the whole group while we hate giving Brandon credit, he and David were the nicest to Val, probs the only ones that actually liked her. 

Anyway on David being a jerk. I chalk it up to writing I guess. To differentiate his character or the fact that Brian hates the show and is just staying to get paid. 

Even though I watched 90210 religiously in high school, there was never a moment when I was attracted to any of the fellas on this show. As I get older, I'm starting to find Jim slightly attractive, which disturbs me greatly.

• Love 3
(edited)

Maybe he snuck into "The Scene" in mobster Jack McKay's giant pants? Because I really see no other way a 14/15 year old was so entrenched in it all. And then he cleaned himself up for the love of Brinda?

Edited by Rebecca
  • Love 4

To be fair on Claire. She was in the group mainly because she dated David I guess?

She got in through David, but she also moved into the beach apartment before she started dating him...or at least, before she knew that David was Donna's ex and had previously lived there. And unlike many other significant others of our clique, she did seem to genuinely be friends with the group, especially Kelly and Donna. She was definitely part of the group, unlike say Jessie who was just there because of his relationship with Andrea.

Had Kathleen Robertson decided to stay on the show, I'm sure Claire would have stayed around as a member of the group.

• Love 1

I am a terrible parent so I listen to this podcast with kids around and still Sarah D. Bunting releasing F-bombs is always my favourite thing. I wish I could swear with such finesse. 

Stuart - or St'rt, because god knows they couldn't give Brinda Wash a boyfriend with a name she could actually pronounce - was such a terrible bust. Even his secret was a terrible bust. I know the show got puritanical about things like this but I actually don't think Brenda - if Brenda were real - would have cared that much that he used to deal drugs. It would have just added to the excitement and drama. 

Speaking of adding to the drama, Dylan is still the worst. Everything he does is attention-seeking garbage. 

• Love 1
2 hours ago, MissEwa said:

I am a terrible parent so I listen to this podcast with kids around and still Sarah D. Bunting releasing F-bombs is always my favourite thing. I wish I could swear with such finesse. 

Stuart - or St'rt, because god knows they couldn't give Brinda Wash a boyfriend with a name she could actually pronounce - was such a terrible bust. Even his secret was a terrible bust. I know the show got puritanical about things like this but I actually don't think Brenda - if Brenda were real - would have cared that much that he used to deal drugs. It would have just added to the excitement and drama. 

Speaking of adding to the drama, Dylan is still the worst. Everything he does is attention-seeking garbage. 

But you don't understand Dylan...it's his PAIN! ;)

• Love 2

Also listening around a child. He ignore it.

So, were tickets to Vegas free? David didn't know how he would afford beach apartment. Nanna's on a fixed income. Maybe Brandon paid for their flight and hotel rooms and the strip club with his sweet, sweet tutoring money? I could barely afford dinner at Applebee's when I was in college in 1993.

• Love 4

I had the same thoughts on the flights! I remember buying a ticket from SFO to visit my friend in LA and I had to use a TRAVEL AGENT (I'm that old) and even then it was expensive to me ($100).  I wish they had something that showed the haves/have nots- like in Friends were some of them can barely afford a salad and others are minting money and cover for them.

One thing that is a small bit of continuity... Stuart said that after his one semester, he was a club promoter, along with real estate. I guess Eve's Apple was the club?  I would have preferred that he was into some kinky crap instead... that would have been better. 

Finally, I think it's beyond crappy that Dylan brings up Brenda's past-- she went on a flirty date with cardio funk boy and a couple of dates with Rique.  In real life, wouldn't Stuart have known about the Summer of Deception and have flung that back in Dylan's face?

12 hours ago, Sarah D. Bunting said:

It must have been you; I'm sorry I didn't give you proper credit! 

But: seriously. He had quite a life before the Walshes showed up *sophomore year*.

Well, to be fair, it was there first junior year, right? No need for credit.  Others have brought up the Dylan Barrymore. 

• Love 2

Ha! "St'rt" is perfect.

• Love 2
(edited)

Finally, I think it's beyond crappy that Dylan brings up Brenda's past-- she went on a flirty date with cardio funk boy and a couple of dates with Rique.  In real life, wouldn't Stuart have known about the Summer of Deception and have flung that back in Dylan's face?

I have rage blackouts (TM - Summer Roberts) over Dylan having the BALLS to talk about Brenda's "problem" with cheating. "She had a boyfriend in Paris."? NOOOO fuckknuckle (TM - Sarah D. Bunting) she had a flirtation with a fake accent you were spending nights on the beach with her *&D&*@*@ best friend. And yes, I realize kissing another while you are in a relationship counts as cheating (I am married after all) so Brenda kissing RIQUE and Cardio Funk dude was not cool, but it's nothing compared to what Dylan and Kelly pulled during the SOD (and into the fall too because poor Brenda didn't even find out about the SOD until well into their senior year). UGGGH. 23 years later and it still pisses me the fuck off.  I remember watching this even back in the day and being FEE-urious with Dylan. Tara and Sarah are absolutely right, in season 2 likeable Dylan died in Mexico, never to return. 

And note to Director Jason - were you the one to direct yourself to that godawful line reading of "And if YA DO, YA GONNA LOS'HER"... It just sounds so clunky, weird and insufferable. I know Braying is Brandon's thing, but that line reading was particularly cringeworthy. Why was he yelling at them as if it was their fault that his sister is a drama queen? 

Ugh this show. I alternate between rolling my eyes at the clips and cackling out loud listening to Sarah, Tara and DAVID rip it to shreads. Y'all doing God's work, truly, because I used to rewatch this show every 2 years or so (I have the DVDs) but this podcast saves me the trouble...

Edited by Klaw
raged induced typo correction
  • Love 5
On ‎5‎/‎24‎/‎2016 at 11:29 AM, CurlyATX said:

I had the same thoughts on the flights! I remember buying a ticket from SFO to visit my friend in LA and I had to use a TRAVEL AGENT (I'm that old) and even then it was expensive to me ($100).  I wish they had something that showed the haves/have nots- like in Friends were some of them can barely afford a salad and others are minting money and cover for them.

One thing that is a small bit of continuity... Stuart said that after his one semester, he was a club promoter, along with real estate. I guess Eve's Apple was the club?  I would have preferred that he was into some kinky crap instead... that would have been better. 

Well, to be fair, it was there first junior year, right? No need for credit.  Others have brought up the Dylan Barrymore. 

Dylan Barrymore, ha!  So true.  Dylan and his wild tween years!  Just like Jen on Dawson's Creek and her wild tween years in NY prior to coming to Capeside.

• Love 2
19 minutes ago, benteen said:

Dylan Barrymore, ha!  So true.  Dylan and his wild tween years!  Just like Jen on Dawson's Creek and her wild tween years in NY prior to coming to Capeside.

I never connected the two, but you're totally right about this.

• Love 2
On 5/23/2016 at 10:27 AM, CicelyAlaska said:

This may be the most obvious comments of obviousness, but it irks me that the gang has made no new friends in college. Yea, I understand that for the show they can't have a lot of new cast members and actors have contracts, but come on. 

If I met this group in college, I would not want to hang out with them because Dylan and Brandon came with the package. EAT BEES, YA TOOLS.

• Love 1
On 24. maj 2016 at 4:24 AM, bitchin camaro said:

Even though I watched 90210 religiously in high school, there was never a moment when I was attracted to any of the fellas on this show. As I get older, I'm starting to find Jim slightly attractive, which disturbs me greatly.

Jim was very attractive in the young Jim picture from the anniversary episode. I was very ashamed of myself when I had that thought while looking at the visual aids. 

• Love 1

@AndySmith I agree had Kathleen Robertson stayed instead of going to be in her bf Gregg Araki's movies the Claire character would have gone on to the end and be core clique. 

What was up with hair this season? Everyone is a before picture of what to do wrong. Ohndrea's helmet was especially offensive and when it's put with that fusty personality and preachy diologue child i can't. Brenda's needed to be rinsed more, it just looked greasy.  What a downfall. 

Also the incidental music is so damn trite and manipulative. Hokey. 

Dylans 150 retconed back stories are annoying. It reminds me of Mr Belvedere or J Peterman or something where the journal or anecdotes are really outlandish and colorful. Except he's a 'teen' and when he wrote his memoirs all he said was 3 sentences "I used to play and believe in beauty. a girl reminds me of that. so when my dad blew up i forgot."

• Love 2

I forgot that memoir existed....why must you remind me @Petunia13, now I feel like braying at Dylan and Andrea.

At least the hair from this season is better than the next season minus the iconic David Silver whatever that is with hoop earrings. 

• Love 1
20 hours ago, heshy said:

If I met this group in college, I would not want to hang out with them because Dylan and Brandon came with the package. EAT BEES, YA TOOLS.

Luckily even though a went to CU (dif campus), I wouldn't have run into The Gang.  I never ate at a local diner- just the quad or the various coffee shops my friends and I worked at for freebies.  I didn't take 4 semesters of abnormal psychology or fashion for dummies, wasn't in the Greek system and I barely knew there was a radio station.  I was too busy drinking and having fun watching local bands (vs. Dave Koz).  Although... I did take a folklore class so I may have seen Steve.  But I wouldn't have been absorbed into the orbit of The Gang. 

(edited)

The timeline in this show is just beyond bizarre. I mean, they're getting married after two weeks and everyone talks about how grown up they all are now. Didn't all this summer of deception stuff just go down about six months ago? Not like the ancient history of Dylan and Stuart's pre-teen drug ring days. (Oh we can laugh now, buddy!)

Their whole transparent "deception" in order for them to figure out they're not ready to get married is so feeble my toddler would see through it, and he still believes me when I tell him there's a time limit on the toy aisle and if we stay too long mommy could get a ticket.

And oh my fucking god, what the hell is with this dumbass Donna's a good girl and David just wants to get some never-ending storyline? What is the message here, Aaron? Seriously?!?! Guys are relentless and women should just shrug it off because they can't control their urges and it's up to females to keep that pootie on lockdown until he puts a ring on it? Am I confused, and this show is actually shot in the 1890s? Because, I'm a contemporary of the period and I'm pretty sure even the message the purity gals got was you don't put up with jackasses constantly begging you for sex. That the "right" guy will wait as long as you need/want him to.

The only appropriate response to David's offer by Donna would be to punch him in his punky little face and dumping his shady white rapper ass. But, instead, it's a just a humorous, 'Oh David, you're so funny' moment. Can't wait for next week's plot when Donna drives David crazy by showing a little ankle and gets what she deserves for being such a tease. FFS show. FFS!

Edited by STOPSHOUTING
  • Like 1

I'm rewatching episodes via my own DVD set (don't judge) and listening to the amazing podcast (again) and am going thru Season 4, which I freaking love.  

I am laughing over Brandon saying that all the flights from LA to Vegas were full.  I can't swear to anything that was going on at LAX in 1993 but there are flights that leave for Vegas like every hour.  I'm sure they could have found seats on a flight out of LA at some point that day.  Clearly, Stoort and Brinda did, as well as Jim and Cindy.  So the going to Burbank thing was ridiculous unless they couldn't film there and felt they needed to show the airport (they didn't.)  Also, as others stated, I wondered how Brandon, David and Ohhhhhndrea were paying for their tickets.  Kelly, Donna and Steve probably had credit cards their parents paid for.  Brandon wasn't working at the Pit any longer, Ohhhhhhndrea was always financially struggling (although she did seem to have the coin for those suits she was so fond of busting out during this season) and somebody had to pay for David's pirate earring(s) and berets.  Maybe Dylan popped for tickets for all?  Also also (TM @Sarah D. Bunting) aren't these Hillsters supposed to be in college?  Was this a Friday or Saturday night because there was no discussion about not only finances but maybe about classes, tests, assignments, etc.  I really wish I had attended California University because apparently all you had to do to get a degree was drive by the school and honk. 

Brandon proves he's the worst in this episode.  Brenda tells you something in confidence and the first thing he does is call Steve.  But then he pats himself on the back because he didn't tell Jim and Cindy pronto.  You suck, Brandon.  If you're going to blab Brenda's secret, at least go ahead and tell your parents first so they can either try and stop it or at least be there to see their daughter married.  Ugh.  He annoys.  

I mentioned this in the thread for another episode but it's pretty rich  for Ohhhhhhndrea (and everyone else) to think Brenda eloping with Stoort is a bad idea and the craziest thing she's ever done.  Um, weren't all the girls, including Celeste, squeeing all over the place like 2 weeks earlier when they got engaged?  What do they think engaged means?  And given that Ohhhhhhndrea is going to get knocked up by Jesse and his hot and spicy tamale in like 5 minutes, and then decide to get married, she has no room to talk smack about anyone.  Nor does anyone who wears a SUIT to a casino.  Jesus.  At least she left the hat and gloves at home (or in her suitcase.) 

And furthermore, and in no way offensive to Gabrielle Carteris, no security guard is going to ask suit-wearing 15 months pregnant Ohhhhhhndrea for ID.  They might tell her that her kids (David and Donna) can't be on the casino floor but she would NEVER be mistaken for being under 21.  

• LOL 1
  • Love 1
On 5/23/2016 at 12:56 PM, Nanna said:

Gotta love Steve. He's not to bothered by the wedding, he's just trying to enjoy Vegas now that he's there. Good for him. Also, he does look good in those glasses (I may be getting a crush on Steve 20 years to late). I never actually realised back in the day that David was such an ass ALL THE TIME. 

Steve has always been one of my favorites. He is utterly unpretentious and he knows how to have fun. (Whereas David almost always irritated me.)

On 5/25/2016 at 9:42 AM, Klaw said:

I have rage blackouts (TM - Summer Roberts) over Dylan having the BALLS to talk about Brenda's "problem" with cheating. "She had a boyfriend in Paris."? NOOOO fuckknuckle (TM - Sarah D. Bunting) she had a flirtation with a fake accent you were spending nights on the beach with her *&D&*@*@ best friend. And yes, I realize kissing another while you are in a relationship counts as cheating (I am married after all) so Brenda kissing RIQUE and Cardio Funk dude was not cool, but it's nothing compared to what Dylan and Kelly pulled during the SOD (and into the fall too because poor Brenda didn't even find out about the SOD until well into their senior year). UGGGH. 23 years later and it still pisses me the fuck off.  I remember watching this even back in the day and being FEE-urious with Dylan. Tara and Sarah are absolutely right, in season 2 likeable Dylan died in Mexico, never to return. 

That shriek of rage you just heard was me viewing this episode for the first time ever (I skipped a LOT of the post-West Beverly years). What a fucking betraying ASSHOLE. I get that they're trying to manipulate Stoort but couldn't he have made up another character flaw--she's flaky or spends too much money or whatever? Did he have to make Brinda sound like a whore, FFS? Not only is his picture a massive exaggeration since she was very upfront about her peccadilloes, it's classic projection. YOU'RE the one who cheated. With her BEST FRIEND. And then let her believe you and she were fine together--for months. And even after that, she had the class to insist her family give you emotional and material support when your father was killed. And this is how you repay her?  DICKKKKKK

On 8/7/2017 at 1:54 PM, psychoticstate said:

I really wish I had attended California University because apparently all you had to do to get a degree was drive by the school and honk. 

AHHHH HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!!

• Love 1
On 5/25/2016 at 9:42 AM, Klaw said:

And note to Director Jason - were you the one to direct yourself to that godawful line reading of "And if YA DO, YA GONNA LOS'HER"... It just sounds so clunky, weird and insufferable. I know Braying is Brandon's thing, but that line reading was particularly cringeworthy. Why was he yelling at them as if it was their fault that his sister is a drama queen? 

Ugh this show. I alternate between rolling my eyes at the clips and cackling out loud listening to Sarah, Tara and DAVID rip it to shreads. Y'all doing God's work, truly, because I used to rewatch this show every 2 years or so (I have the DVDs) but this podcast saves me the trouble...

How did I miss this post in all the years I've been here???? Can I sit at your table? Watching in Real Time AND in Syndication made me see RED-FILLED RAGE and still does!!!!! I loathed and loathe Kelly playing the victim and how NOOOOOOOBLE Show was trying to make her, by having her distance herself and change classes and all that other crap to make it look like she wasn't the shallow, self-centered, narcissistic boyfriend stealing twat she was.

YES, I said IT.

• Love 1