Type keyword(s) to search

S22.E10: Finale - Night 1

• Start Topic

Do they ever have extra time to fill at the end of an episode? I don't understand their compulsion with cutting it so close on the timing. Just knock a minute off of the rehearsal packages and then everyone can relax about the time. Tom is a pro and can fill an extra minute if needed, but you can't do much when it's 8:59 and the judges begin their critiques. Silly timing.

• Love 9

Just my opinion, but:

Should win: Paige

Will win: Nyle

Pretending they aren't in the finals: Ginger

I can't believe we had that lackluster Fred/Ginger thing instead of a Wanya freestyle.  Oh well.  Not Ginger's fault but still. 

• Love 19
(edited)

Ginger bored me, like she normally does. Nyle was all right but I swore there was a moment in the freestyle where he was out of sync (as they went down to the floor). Paige was really good but I kind of expect her to be at this point, so I dunno, maybe I was expecting more from her? I don't know, all the freestyles seemed a little lackluster to me. 

Kind of meh all around. Although I did appreciate Carrie Ann giving us some more "best dance I've ever seen" and some crying. She even slipped her favourite word in there: profound. Perfect way to round out the season!

Edited by Callaphera
A very profound reason
  • Love 9
2 minutes ago, spanana said:

Just my opinion, but:

Should win: Paige

Will win: Nyle

Pretending they aren't in the finals: Ginger

I can't believe we had that lackluster Fred/Ginger thing instead of a Wanya freestyle.  Oh well.  Not Ginger's fault but still. 

I thought the Nyle  choreography was interesting but his dancing is laughable. But he'll win because America isn't interested in dance. 

• Love 1
(edited)

Well Ginger and Val didn't do comtemporary for the freestyle so there's that (since they already did it in the first round.)  But....zzzzz.

But with the unique dances Mark came up for Paige (their MMA dance is probably in my top 10 dances EVER), I felt..."meh."  It was beautiful, and Paige showed she is one of the ringiest ringers who ever ringed (as in she really is a beautiful dancer) but I didn't feel anything special out of it.  And we need to STOP using Somewhere Over The Rainbow. That said, they got hosed by being cut for time. 

Nyle and Peta...I HATE comtemporary.  I LOVED this.  Enough said.

Who takes it?  I honestly have no clue.  I'll be annoyed if it's Ginger, satisfied with Nyle or Paige.

Edited by mtlchick
clarity: focus was on freestyle only.
  • Love 4
5 minutes ago, Callaphera said:

Ginger bored me, like she normally does. Nyle was all right but I swore there was a moment in the freestyle where he was out of sync (as they went down to the floor). Paige was really good but I kind of expect her to be at this point, so I dunno, maybe I was expecting more from her? I don't know, all the freestyles seemed a little lackluster to me. 

Kind of meh all around. Although I did appreciate Carrie Ann giving us some more "best dance I've ever seen" and some crying. She even slipped her favourite word in there: profound. Perfect way to round out the season!

Does she not pull that "MY FAVORITE DANCE EVER IN (FILL IN THE BLANK) SEASONS!" every single season? Yes, she does. 

• Love 7

I hated how Nyle danced tonight in both dances.  He still can't Quickstep if his life depended on it, and he was so tight no fluidity whatsoever on that Freestyle.  But he's winning because why? oh yeah.  

(edited)
6 minutes ago, mtlchick said:

Well Ginger and Val didn't do comtemporary so there's that.  But....zzzzz.

But with the unique dances Mark came up for Paige (their MMA dance is probably in my top 10 dances EVER), I felt..."meh."  It was beautiful, and Paige showed she is one of the ringiest ringers who ever ringed (as in she really is a beautiful dancer) but I didn't feel anything special out of it.  And we need to STOP using Somewhere Over The Rainbow. That said, they got hosed by being cut for time. 

Nyle and Peta...I HATE comtemporary.  I LOVED this.  Enough said.

Who takes it?  I honestly have no clue.  I'll be annoyed if it's Ginger, satisfied with Nyle or Paige.

I agree with pretty much all of this, but Ginger got the added extra bonus of basically doing two freestyles.  The finals and she wasn't even asked to do a ballroom dance and that has zero to do with her injury.  The idea of the Fred/Ginger thing could have been good for her, but she's not interesting nor skilled enough to pull if off.

I love Mark and I get what he was trying to do, but I wanted something more Mark-like from Paige.  Oh well.  Paige better at least get 2nd.

Edited by spanana
  • Love 2

As the saying goes - Ginger Rogers did everything that Fred Astaire did, only backwards and in heels.  And this Ginger danced in flats!  And the performance was flat, too.  Especially compared to the other freestyles.  But of course she got perfect scores, because she's ABC.  They don't even try to hide it.  It's  so ridiculous.  

Nyle FTW!  But I'd be ok with Paige winning, too, cuz she's really, really good.  Just no Ginger.

• Love 18
9 minutes ago, Superpole2000 said:

Do they ever have extra time to fill at the end of an episode? I don't understand their compulsion with cutting it so close on the timing. Just knock a minute off of the rehearsal packages and then everyone can relax about the time. Tom is a pro and can fill an extra minute if needed, but you can't do much when it's 8:59 and the judges begin their critiques. Silly timing.

I know they have been doing that a lot lately.

• Love 1
(edited)

Nyle and Peta had the most striking freestyle. I liked it. 

I thought Paige and Mark's freestyle was lovely, but I flat out loved their salsa. Hush Len, Paige's hip action was fine.

I found Ginger and Val's freestyle pretty corny and not that well executed.

ETA:

I love Mark and I get what he was trying to do, but I wanted something more Mark-like from Paige.

Yeah - I liked their dance, but I was looking for something really spectacular and risk-taking to match freestyles he's done in the past.

Edited by Gillian Rosh
  • Love 8

I like Ginger well enough and thought the freestyle was cute. 

I don't care for Nyle.

I'm lukewarm on Paige and thought she danced well but meh. I know why they redid the salsa but I thought she had rougher dances. But, then when I try to figure out a better one to redo, I can't remember any other dances she did.

So, I guess Mark for the win because he was my second favorite this season behind Lindsay. Or, I'd take Val. Don't really care if their partners win or not.

• Love 1

The Finale! (and you get a 10! and you get a 10!...)  Anyway, my thoughts...

Redemption Dances:

Ginger:  She gets a contemporary AND a freestyle while the other two get rules-based dances?  As always,  it was fine, but I felt nothing from it.  It kind of bothers me that the video package was only about her injury.  It wasn't even posed as heroically dancing through the pain. It was just kind of a downer.

Nyle:  What did Peta say she was going to correct?  Posture is still a mess, butt is still sticking out and you could have driven a truck between them.  Out of sync in parts.  Any other week I don't think it would even get 9s.

Paige:  I'm glad all those dancers only stayed for a moment. Was there a little tangle in the arm movement just after she took off the skirt? Not sure.  Lacked hip action? Oh Len!  I was a little worried about her nerves getting to her-she was tweeting and snapchatting until 3am worried about people voting for her.

Freestyle Dances: 

Ginger:  She's functioning at 60%?  Again, not a good thing to say for the finale.  I realize neither can tap so they substituted foot stomping?  That last move (fan jump?) was clearly flubbed.  She seemed to have one facial expression throughout - kind of a Lucy/slapstick mouth-wide-open expression. Very strange.

Nyle:  At least Peta isn't hiding that she called someone to choreograph (not just help to choreograph) this dance.  I respect that, though I think the pro should predominately choreograph and then bring in help as needed.   A couple times that I think they were supposed to be in sync, they weren't. But I was totally distracted by the burning piano.  Why did they burn a piano? Anyway, that was Nyle's best to date.  CAI? best all seasons? I wouldn't go that far.

Paige:  Beautiful dance and beautifully performed.  Not a fan of the singer, but, oh well. Really bad time management by production that they had to cut off words of praise by the judges.

I do hope Paige wins.  I think she's really earned it with very challenging choreo and growth over the weeks and I think Mark is long overdue for another MBT.    Second? It's really a tossup for me.  Probably Nyle with Ginger third. 

• Love 8
(edited)

One thing I've notice this season is there have been a lot of lower heels on women. I've noticed Peta is wearing lower heels, I know she was out last season due to an injury, I can't remember if it were her feet or back, but that was probably why she was in lower heels. Kim and Jodie wore lower heels most of the time, I get that they are not 20 somethings and as a used to be 20 something that is 4'11", I cannot wear heels at all any more. Tonight, during the freestyle I saw that Ginger was wearing very much lower heels, I think it was probably because of her back injury, but if she had been learning the dance with heels, I would think the lower heels might have been a minor problem for her. I'm not trying to discount anyone's age or injuries, it was just something I noticed this season more than in the past.

Edited by friendperidot
  • Love 4

I'll be the voice crying in the wilderness... I really liked Ginger and Val's freestyle. It was cute and fun and I like Broadway as a style. No she won't win, but I love her drive and her personality and her dancing too!

• Love 4

I've noticed Peta is wearing lower heels, I know she was out last season due to an injury, I can't remember if it were her feet or back, but that was probably why she was in lower heels.

Wasn't it torn ligaments in her ankle?

I have not seen any posts anywhere at anytime saying that Ginger should win, or that anyone is voting for her. I really don't understand how she got here above Wanya.  Yeah, yeah, ABC pimping and all that. She's not horrible, and she deserved a high rank, but I think Jodie and Wanya should have made it farther than Ginger did. 

Peeta and Nyles's freestyle was amazing and beautiful.  One of the only contemporaries I've ever seen that actually looked like dancing and a story all the way through.  I like that Ginger and Val did something different than everyone else, but she wasn't that amazing to me.  Paige was very good, and she should do salsa's all the time.  Nyle and Paige had the best emoting.  I really want to know how Peeta and Maks relationship is after she danced with this hunky, sensitive man all season.

• Love 1
(edited)
13 minutes ago, renzii said:

I'll be the voice crying in the wilderness... I really liked Ginger and Val's freestyle. It was cute and fun and I like Broadway as a style. No she won't win, but I love her drive and her personality and her dancing too!

I liked it too and I have been "meh" on Ginger all season. 

Edited by TeeMo
  • Love 4

Calm down, Mark. Your salsa was good, but not that good - keep your shirt on! I found it kind of disconcerting that he was all whooping it up without even acknowledging his partner.

Good Lord that Ginger freestyle was boring as fuck! I know that many, and I'm including myself, complain about how this show has become more about the spectacle and less about pure dance, but the freestyle is when spectacle should be the norm. Or at least something truly special. It's probably mostly the fault of what I just said about how all season has become about spectacle, so now a lot of dancers to try and stand out with their freestyle try and pair it down. Sometimes it works, sometimes it doesn't. I thought Rumer and Val's freestyle was simple and really wonderful. But IMO Rumer was a much better dancer than Ginger. IMO Ginger just doesn't stand out doing something so simple and basically boring - though I guess the dance played to her strength and did represent her whole season - adequate, but unmemorable. 

First of all, Nyle and Peta freestyle was amazing - but please Carrie-Ann shut up and don't spoil it. I hate that kind of ridiculous hyperbole. Granted maybe it was her favorite dance ever, but when she says it all the time it kind of loses its sincerity. 

Does Bruno have no tear ducts? While I appreciate that he doesn't cry at the drop of a hat like Carrie-Ann, I had to laugh when he said that Nyle's dance moved him to tears and his eyes appeared dry as a bone.

Like Ginger and Val, I guess Mark blew his wad on themes throughout the season because that freestyle was so blah to me - for me that did sum up the year for Paige - great dancing, but completely unmemorable to me. And I wish they would stop using "Somewhere Over the Rainbow." I swear I've heard that 20,000 times on reality shows. The song is being ruined for me.

• Love 9
(edited)

I wish Mark had chosen something more upbeat for Paige's freestyle but maybe he felt like the salsa was upbeat enough. She gets my vote tonight but this will be one of those season where there is no compelling winner for me. 

Edited by TeeMo
  • Love 1

I get that Paige is a very good dancer, but I felt like she came in knowing how to dance in Week 1 and has not really changed much since. Her freestyle felt to me like a Dancemom redux- well done, but with her background and with what Mark has done with her this season, I did expect more... sorry.

• Love 9
(edited)

There's something a little off-putting about having your girlfriend sing during Paige's performance. Why do anything to take attention away from her? I'm also surprised that Mark went the contemporary route with Paige. I consider their jive their most popular and hyped dance so I think he should've gone with something more high-energy. It would've been a better showcase of her talents.

I really enjoyed Nyle's freestyle. I thought it was great storytelling and very memorable. Carrie Ann tried ruining it, but it stands as something special. I want them to win and I had a bit of a difficult time getting through on my calls for Nyle/Peta so I hope that bodes well for them.

Different interpreter. Go Nyle. Paige and Nyle were terrific, Ginger just meh. 

I read somewhere that Ramon got into an accident over the weekend. I hope he's well. I associate his voice with Nyle so it was a little disconcerting to not hear him through Nyle's signing.

Edited by SophiaPehawkins
  • Love 6

I loved what Paige accomplished this season, coming out of her shell and really performing dance to the best of her ability.  As I write this I am reminded of the 13 year old that killed herself today due to bullying. 

• Love 3

Overall, it felt like a final usually does, a lot of hype, and little actual moments.

Redemption round:

1. Ginger/Val (Contemporary) : First off, I like her but my support of her has lessened in the past few weeks. I call complete and utter BS on her basically getting to do 2 freestyles tonight. However, this dance seemed more like a freestyle because it was a journey dance. I did like the nods to her past dances, that was clever, but overall I felt hesitation on her part and stiffness, probably due to injury, but still evident.

2. Nyle/Peta (Quickstep): To me this was the overall weakest dance of the night. The whole thing didn’t quite gel to me. QS is hard I get that, but to me his footwork just never fully felt in the pocket. 

3. Paige/Mark (Salsa): The obvious winner of the redemption round. It was a high energy, fully perfected Salsa. She was so much more inhibited and free in this and I’m glad Paige and Mark got to do a Salsa together. Len’s comment was utter BS because I saw hip action, it felt like a need for him to knock her down a point because to give this a 9 and Ginger’s a 10 was also utter BS. 

Freestyle:

1. Ginger/Val (Freestyle): For me this lacked a real excitement. It didn’t feel cohesive or like a real theme was happening. I liked the nod to the rain, but overall it felt disjointed. 10 seasons ago this would’ve gotten all 9’s, but we’ve hit a point now where all freestyles get 10’s. My score: 27/30

2. Nyle/Peta (Freestyle): I knew it was coming, we all knew it was coming, Nyle doing a Contemporary dance to a song referencing his deafness and an outside choreographer apparently. Peta isn’t stupid, she knows what an audience eats up and it likely will take him to the winner’s spot. I mean I like Nyle, I liked his from Top Model, but I feel his deafness was talked about way too much and way too intensely. I get that it’s part of his story, but I felt beat over the head with it. I know TPTB is salivating at him winning, a disabled person winning, but I mean it’s never about dance I guess. I noticed a part where they got out of sync for a few seconds but I guess that doesn’t matter My score: 29/30

3. Paige/Mark (Freestyle): It was nice seeing a softer, more emotional side of Paige, I feel like that’s the part where she’s grown the most. I mean her dancing is more refined but she was afraid to get this emotional in the beginning and seeing this theme of coming out of a darkness with light and positivity was refreshing from the usual, dark and angsty Contemporary routines we usually get. Closing the finals is usually a good thing for winning, but I don’t think her bullying background can trump deafness. I hope it can, but I feel all the more certain that she’s cemented for 2nd place.

• Love 4
(edited)

And perhaps "if America votes for" Paige, "they" are voting because they like women in traditionally male sports. And "if America votes for" Ginger, maybe "they" are voting because they watch GMA daily.

I'll go with the known professional dancer-judges and their scoring.  Three "10's" for Nyle's Freestyle from them? What do THEY know, anyway?!

Edited by LennieBriscoe
  • Love 2
42 minutes ago, RedFiat said:

I thought Paige was completely robbed on the Salsa, and her freestyle was pure bliss.  She remains the best dancer. It isn't even close. 

Well she does have all those years of dance in her background as highlighted last week.

• Love 3

Someone with as much dance experience as Paige should have completely shut it down tonight and she was just Meh.

Nyle for the win because again he and Peta just were a lot more memorable tonight.

Peta was really great this season and very smart,  she knew how to do gimmicks perfectly and how to get Nyle the most buzz, she deserves it.

• Love 8

I admit, I started crying during Nyle and Peta's freestyle and I say this as someone that hasn't been all that enthralled by his story this season.  But damn if it didnt hit me in the gut tonight.  Then Carrie Ann had to lay it on with that "best I've ever seen in 22 seasons" hyperbole and I was back to being annoyed.  I noticed she tweeted Nyle that it was the most powerful dance she ever saw on the show so maybe she really was sincere.

That said, I think  Mark is getting his 3rd mirrorball and Paige is a very deserving winner.

Nyle shut what down? The fact that he can't dance ballroom still with two pros teaching him every week,  and they had a piano on fire? Nice shiny objects, but him wrapping his arms over his face for 8 bars and moving without fluidity isn't good dancing.  

• Love 2
9 minutes ago, SophiaPehawkins said:

There's something a little off-putting about having your girlfriend sing during Paige's performance. Why do anything to take attention away from her?

it also irked when he explained the "redemption" dance. "i was hurt and wasn't able to dance with paige" 

way to make it about yourself, bud...

• Love 5
4 minutes ago, LotusFlower said:

Dance is subjective, like any other art.

Sure, but there is a minimum standard to meet. That Quickstep was ridiculously bad, and a poorly danced freestyle is just that, no matter how good its choreographed by someone else, 

I dont know how anyone can not love Nyle. Hes a great dancer and always gave it 110 percent each week. Him and Peta have just been spectacular all season. I really hope they win. Peta deserves the trophy for all of obstacles she has had this season coaching Nyle that had to be tough. If Nyle does not win I hope its Paige and not Ginger

• Love 9
1 minute ago, vavera4ka said:

it also irked when he explained the "redemption" dance. "i was hurt and wasn't able to dance with paige" 

While I don't disagree, I also think Paige didn't have an obvious redemption dance.  Unlike the others, she didn't really mess anything up and she was consistently strong all season.  I know previous dance experience and all that, but I have no idea what I would pick for her redemption dance.

• Love 3
3 minutes ago, RedFiat said:

Nyle shut what down? The fact that he can't dance ballroom still with two pros teaching him every week,  and they had a piano on fire? Nice shiny objects, but him wrapping his arms over his face for 8 bars and moving without fluidity isn't good dancing.  

OMG can you please stop already! the point is made Nyle sucks, move on... ghaaawwwd

nowhere it was mentioned that Nyle shut that down. He couldn't have. He has no dancing experience and can't hear music. All that poster said that Paige SHOULD have.

I have a math related degree, not math, but one that requires a lot of similar knowledge and reasoning. I SHOULD ace the final in intermediate statistics class in half the time than someone who has no prior knowledge of anything beyond arithmetics but studied diligently with multiple tutors. 

• Love 10
2 minutes ago, vavera4ka said:

How else can they explain the redemption dance, because Len called it the best dance of the season in week 2. It was because Mark couldnt dance with her.  For anyone who partner dances, having to switch up with only hours not days notice is pretty nerve wracking, especially so early in the season.. 

Shutting it down means someone thought his dance was amazing and he killed it. Clearly you disagree. Doesn't make your opinion more valid then anyone else's.

• Love 5
11 minutes ago, howmanywords said:

I admit, I started crying during Nyle and Peta's freestyle and I say this as someone that hasn't been all that enthralled by his story this season.  But damn if it didnt hit me in the gut tonight.  Then Carrie Ann had to lay it on with that "best I've ever seen in 22 seasons" hyperbole and I was back to being annoyed.  I noticed she tweeted Nyle that it was the most powerful dance she ever saw on the show so maybe she really was sincere.

That said, I think  Mark is getting his 3rd mirrorball and Paige is a very deserving winner.

Heh. They should bring back the other 21 people she said that to over the seasons and make them have one big dance throwdown. "Who's the best now, Carrie Ann?" 'Course, she'd probably call them all profound and cry through a box of tissue so maybe that isn't such a good idea.

• Love 15
1 minute ago, Callaphera said:

Heh. They should bring back the other 21 people she said that to over the seasons and make them have one big dance throwdown. "Who's the best now, Carrie Ann?" 'Course, she'd probably call them all profound and cry through a box of tissue so maybe that isn't such a good idea.

Not to mention she'd likely fall off a chair. 

• Love 16
5 minutes ago, Mreid said:

I dont know how anyone can not love Nyle. Hes a great dancer and always gave it 110 percent each week. Him and Peta have just been spectacular all season. I really hope they win. Peta deserves the trophy for all of obstacles she has had this season coaching Nyle that had to be tough. If Nyle does not win I hope its Paige and not Ginger

I dont love Nyle. I think he is arrogant. I think he thinks hes a great dancer when he has not danced a great dance since week 4.  As for Peta having a male dancer in there to teach all season long with her is a great advantage even though Maks has not corrected his posture.  She also went outside not just for help but for an entire dance to be choreographed. That admission will change the show.   

• Love 1
1 minute ago, TeeMo said:

Not to mention she'd likely fall off a chair. 

What is her deal with gravity? I'm one of the clumsiest people around, I walk into sliding glass patio doors when holding onto the damned handle but even I can sit in a chair without going ass over tea kettle. 

• Love 8
3 minutes ago, RedFiat said:

I dont love Nyle. I think he is arrogant. I think he thinks hes a great dancer when he has not danced a great dance since week 4.  As for Peta having a male dancer in there to teach all season long with her is a great advantage even though Maks has not corrected his posture.  She also went outside not just for help but for an entire dance to be choreographed. That admission will change the show.   

LOL it won't change anything because plenty of other dancers have sought outside help with choreography. It's not against the rules. Just because Maks has been shown in rehearsal a few times does not mean he's been helping all season. So what if he has. Teaching someone who can't hear a thing is incredibly challenge whether you want to give her credit for that or not.

• Love 6
4 minutes ago, RedFiat said:

As for Peta having a male dancer in there to teach all season long with her is a great advantage even though Maks has not corrected his posture.  She also went outside not just for help but for an entire dance to be choreographed. That admission will change the show.   

A lot of the pros use outside choreographers.  It's kind of an open secret since season one.  

• Love 4