Type keyword(s) to search

S22.E10: Finale - Night 1

• Start Topic

(edited)
1 hour ago, PBGamer89 said:

Overall, it felt like a final usually does, a lot of hype, and little actual moments.

Redemption round:

1. Ginger/Val (Contemporary) : First off, I like her but my support of her has lessened in the past few weeks. I call complete and utter BS on her basically getting to do 2 freestyles tonight. However, this dance seemed more like a freestyle because it was a journey dance. I did like the nods to her past dances, that was clever, but overall I felt hesitation on her part and stiffness, probably due to injury, but still evident.

2. Nyle/Peta (Quickstep): To me this was the overall weakest dance of the night. The whole thing didn’t quite gel to me. QS is hard I get that, but to me his footwork just never fully felt in the pocket. 

3. Paige/Mark (Salsa): The obvious winner of the redemption round. It was a high energy, fully perfected Salsa. She was so much more inhibited and free in this and I’m glad Paige and Mark got to do a Salsa together. Len’s comment was utter BS because I saw hip action, it felt like a need for him to knock her down a point because to give this a 9 and Ginger’s a 10 was also utter BS. 

Freestyle:

1. Ginger/Val (Freestyle): For me this lacked a real excitement. It didn’t feel cohesive or like a real theme was happening. I liked the nod to the rain, but overall it felt disjointed. 10 seasons ago this would’ve gotten all 9’s, but we’ve hit a point now where all freestyles get 10’s. My score: 27/30

2. Nyle/Peta (Freestyle): I knew it was coming, we all knew it was coming, Nyle doing a Contemporary dance to a song referencing his deafness and an outside choreographer apparently. Peta isn’t stupid, she knows what an audience eats up and it likely will take him to the winner’s spot. I mean I like Nyle, I liked his from Top Model, but I feel his deafness was talked about way too much and way too intensely. I get that it’s part of his story, but I felt beat over the head with it. I know TPTB is salivating at him winning, a disabled person winning, but I mean it’s never about dance I guess. I noticed a part where they got out of sync for a few seconds but I guess that doesn’t matter My score: 29/30

3. Paige/Mark (Freestyle): It was nice seeing a softer, more emotional side of Paige, I feel like that’s the part where she’s grown the most. I mean her dancing is more refined but she was afraid to get this emotional in the beginning and seeing this theme of coming out of a darkness with light and positivity was refreshing from the usual, dark and angsty Contemporary routines we usually get. Closing the finals is usually a good thing for winning, but I don’t think her bullying background can trump deafness. I hope it can, but I feel all the more certain that she’s cemented for 2nd place.

How could they not talk about him being deaf when he is dancing while deaf? DWTS didn't even bring up his deafness nearly as much as they did with Bindi' father over and over again last season. That got annoying real fast. smh.  

Edited by Hiacios
  • Love 4
13 minutes ago, Mreid said:

I dont know how anyone can not love Nyle. Hes a great dancer and always gave it 110 percent each week. Him and Peta have just been spectacular all season. I really hope they win. Peta deserves the trophy for all of obstacles she has had this season coaching Nyle that had to be tough. If Nyle does not win I hope its Paige and not Ginger

With all due respect, I don't love Nyle and I'm quite sure that there are others who don't love him also....I respect and admire him for his willingness to be on this show but I also feel he peaked early and was on a plateau for the last 4-5 weeks without much improvement, your MMV...

• Love 16
Just now, Hiacios said:

How could not talk about him being deaf when he is dancing while deaf? DWTS didn't even bring up his deafness nearly as much as they did with Bindi' father over and over again last season. That got annoying real fast. smh.  

It was hit on us a lot. The music drop on the Paso, the blindfold thing last week, plus the endless "how do you do this when you can't hear the music" from Tom, Erin and every judge.

• Love 5
2 minutes ago, PBGamer89 said:

It was hit on us a lot. The music drop on the Paso, the blindfold thing last week, plus the endless "how do you do this when you can't hear the music" from Tom, Erin and every judge.

Unlike Bindi and the constant dead dad references, Nyle being deaf is something relevant to mention because it's kind of hard not to since it effects each and every dance. Week to week I still marvel at what he's accomplished and am not surprised Tom and the others find it fascinating.

• Love 10
6 minutes ago, LotusFlower said:

A lot of the pros use outside choreographers.  It's kind of an open secret since season one.  

Also Maks helping Peta and sometimes using outside choreographers is no different than Val using Jenna all season long as a co-choreographer and co-teacher for Ginger.  Or Lindsay getting some outside help from that Alan Salazar dude from Utah.  Who coincidentally also co-choreographed Ginger's first contemporary routine.

• Love 3

Yawn. That was the most underwhelming finale that I can remember. I just don't "get" contemporary, I think, because I was not moved to tears (except tears of boredom) by any of it. 

Ginger's contemporary redemption was interesting in that it wasn't really a contemporary so much as a redux of many of her dances, which I thought was really clever of Val. Her freestyle was sloppy. The costuming didn't help matters, those were some fug pants she was wearing. 

Nyle was out of sync through some of his freestyle, if there is such a thing as out of sync during a contemporary. It was obvious that his movement did not mirror Peta's during some of the floor parts. His redemption quickstep was no better than his original quickstep.

Paige's salsa was deserving of the scores it received, but all her fast/Latin dances have started to blur together for me. She's really good at them, and Mark's choreography is great, but there's still something missing from it. They are fun to watch but not memorable. Her contemporary was good, she had really clean lines throughout. I wish Mark had done something far more creative, because Paige could have handled it. 

I literally don't care who wins at this point. Meanwhile, on my wish list for next season: Jean Claude Van Damme and Britney Spears (after seeing how stiff she was through the first few minutes of her Billboard performance, I think she needs this show and this show needs her. It'll never happen, she's too big of a name, but a girl can dream). 

• Love 3

I hope the 4 point lead that Paige has helps her because she's everything anyone could want in a female celeb; fiery, sexy, graceful, fearless, and humble.

Nyle and Paige both had emotional impact, but I hope she prevails. I don't think Mark will ever get a celeb like her again.

• Love 5
(edited)

Frankly,  all three freestyles bored me.  I sure didn't see anything that would compel me to vote.

Maybe I am just a purist but I hated the versions of the songs that Nyle and Paige danced to.  Quit screwing around with classics.

Edited by Mittengirl
  • Love 2
12 minutes ago, LotusFlower said:

A lot of the pros use outside choreographers.  It's kind of an open secret since season one.  

Maybe some, but the best choreography on this show has been from Lindsay, Mark, Derek when he was on. That is a skill set that Peta just blew away because she cant do what they do. That is too bad. I prefer the pros own choreography because they are more invested in it. 

• Love 1

Jean Claude Van Damme and Britney Spears (after seeing how stiff she was through the first few minutes of her Billboard performance, I think she needs this show and this show needs her. It'll never happen, she's too big of a name, but a girl can dream). 

Britney will never happen as she will be asking for too much and there are too many apologists out there who said she was great last night (her lip synching was worse than normal and I agree about the stiffness.) But I'll join you on the Van Damme idea.  I strangely enjoy him. 

• Love 1

Guys don't start our season 23 speculation yet. ;)

Please remember the ignore feature and use it with people you are fed up with. It beats attacking them in the thread. 

Snark the show not the posters.

• Love 4
56 minutes ago, TeeMo said:

I wish Mark had chosen something more upbeat for Paige's freestyle but maybe he felt like the salsa was upbeat enough. She gets my vote tonight but this will be one of those season where there is no compelling winner for me. 

That is odd, I thought the Peta Nyle freestyle was this dark intense thing, that is different than what Nyle wanted to convey about his community.  Conversely I thought Paige and Marks dance was hopeful looking to the future moving past the pain. Over The Rainbow is a lot more uplifting than than  Sound of Silence.  

Oh Mark! Why oh why a contemporary? I have not seen a DWTS favourite lay quite an egg since Val and his brother's freestyle with Kelly and Mel b and who else? Yes Cheryl and Gilles. Urgh! 

• Love 1
6 minutes ago, PBGamer89 said:

I hope the 4 point lead that Paige has helps her because she's everything anyone could want in a female celeb; fiery, sexy, graceful, fearless, and humble.

Nyle and Paige both had emotional impact, but I hope she prevails. I don't think Mark will ever get a celeb like her again.

She wasn't everything I could want because she never had any emotional impact for me. Plus, it didn't help that she has so much training that I was never impressed by what she could do, anymore then I was impressed by Nicole S. or Cheryl.

7 minutes ago, RedFiat said:

Maybe some, but the best choreography on this show has been from Lindsay, Mark, Derek when he was on. That is a skill set that Peta just blew away because she cant do what they do. That is too bad. I prefer the pros own choreography because they are more invested in it. 

Getting help on a dance you admit you don't have a lot of experience with doesn't mean she can't do what they do. In fact she is doing what they do because all the dancers - even Derek - have used outside help. I think it's refreshing when the pros admit their limits, instead of doing something half-assed because they don't want to admit they need help. They're here to serve their partners - not their egos.

• Love 4
11 minutes ago, RedFiat said:

Lindsay gets help with her choreography.  That proves my point.  Most of the pros do (sometimes even Mark and Derek), and you don't even know.  

• Love 3
Just now, LotusFlower said:

Lindsay gets help with her choreography.  That proves my point.  Most of the pros do (sometimes even Mark and Derek), and you don't even know.  

It makes sense they need a second set of eyes to look at the overall picture.  It is kind of like cutting your own hair.  

• Love 2
10 minutes ago, RedFiat said:

That is odd, I thought the Peta Nyle freestyle was this dark intense thing, that is different than what Nyle wanted to convey about his community.  Conversely I thought Paige and Marks dance was hopeful looking to the future moving past the pain. Over The Rainbow is a lot more uplifting than than  Sound of Silence.  

Perhaps I should have said "uptempo" rather than upbeat. I like Paige best in her high energy routines and would have liked to see another one rather than a slower contemporary. I thought Nyle and Peta were going to come through my TV and beat me up with their angry faces so yes, I agree that their dance was darker than Paige and Mark's. 

• Love 1

I think it's refreshing when the pros admit their limits, instead of doing something half-assed because they don't want to admit they need help. They're here to serve their partners - not their egos.

In reference to the Witney situation above, this just telegraphs to me that Peta or Tallia believe this dance will have Emmy potential and thus admitting that there was an outside choreographer was either legal on Tallia's part or hopeful on Peta's.

• Love 1
16 minutes ago, Runningwild said:

Nyle was amazing tonight. Paige's dance was good too, but it irks me that she has so much experience. Really showed in that leap she did. 

Nyle  FTW!!

I loved her dancing.  I really irks me that a guy who still can't Quickstep is going to win. What a travesty. 

5 minutes ago, crowceilidh said:

In reference to the Witney situation above, this just telegraphs to me that Peta or Tallia believe this dance will have Emmy potential and thus admitting that there was an outside choreographer was either legal on Tallia's part or hopeful on Peta's.

SYTYCD choreographer instead of DWTS choreographers.  What a shame. Well at least Derek got an Emmy.  I thought much of what Mark did this season could be put in consideration, but if they're going the SYTYCD route then might as well merge the shows.  

(edited)

According to that rant post you linked the pros get help, they don't have outside choreographers do the whole thing. Why would they?  They want to stay on the show, so they need to have a skill set to allow them the longevity. 

The article actually explained that " VERY FEW PROS ARE A TRIPLE THREAT. And by triple threat, I mean they dance, they teach, and they choreograph, and are proficient at all three." They never made the distinction that pros only receive help. If anything, they are implying that some have had outside choreographers put together entire routines because there is simply not enough time. Additionally, it becomes more of an issue when they have 2-3 dances to perform in a week. I'm not going to hold Peta's feet to the flame, because she admitted to bringing someone in when most all other pros have, too. No one knows how much "help" they've all gotten and I'm willing to bet that Peta isn't the first to have someone completely choreograph a routine. Even if she was, the dance was still spectacular.

Edited by SophiaPehawkins
Grammar
  • Love 4
1 hour ago, Koffee Kup said:

Well she does have all those years of dance in her background as highlighted last week.

And what to say for Ginger?  She has had lots of dance training. 

9 minutes ago, RedFiat said:

According to that rant post you linked the pros get help, they don't have outside choreographers do the whole thing. Why would they?  They want to stay on the show, so they need to have a skill set to allow them the longevity. 

The producers could care less about a pro's ability to choreograph.  They sign and re-sign pros based on popularity and compatibility with the celebs.  I'm not even including dance ability, cuz they're pros, and they're all so friggin' good.  

• Love 1
1 minute ago, SophiaPehawkins said:

The article actually explained that " VERY FEW PROS ARE A TRIPLE THREAT. And by triple threat, I mean they dance, they teach, and they choreograph, and are proficient at all three." They never made the distinction that pros only receive help. If anything, they are implying that some have had outside choreographers put together entire routines because there is simply not enough time. Additionally, it becomes more of an issue when they have 2-3 dances to perform in a week. I'm not going to hold Peta's feet to the flame, because she admitted to bringing someone in when most all other pros have, too. No one knows how much "help" they've all gotten and I'm willing to bet that Peta isn't the first to have someone completely choreograph a routine. Even if she was. the dance was still spectacular.

To me it wasn't so spectacular. It didn't really sum up Nyle's journey,  nor did he dance it particularly well. If Peta had more of herself in the choreography I don't think it would have been so dark and dreary. 

15 minutes ago, RedFiat said:

I loved her dancing.  I really irks me that a guy who still can't Quickstep is going to win. What a travesty. 

<sarcasm>I know. You'd think this was a popularity contest or something. </sarcasm>

Nyle winning is not a definite - even though I wish it was. He's in third place. So if Paige loses, you can't say the judges sabotaged her. It just means the majority preferred someone else.

23 minutes ago, RedFiat said:

Getting help with a dance here or there does not mean they don't have the "skill set."

• Love 3

Aww Mark's outburst of emotion was moving. I think it was the culmination of having his best student along with his fiancee there in the moment. (I do have to chuckle at how I was wondering, "Who is this singer butchering this song?" and then it turned out to be her.)

I wasn't bowled over by any of the performances but maybe it's because they didn't show anything new from these 3. It seemed like any other good night.

• Love 2
2 minutes ago, FilmTVGeek80 said:

<sarcasm>I know. You'd think this was a popularity contest or something. </sarcasm>

Nyle winning is not a definite - even though I wish it was. He's in third place. So if Paige loses, you can't say the judges sabotaged her. It just means the majority preferred someone else.

Getting help with a dance here or there does not mean they don't have the "skill set."

Jesus Christ, they tried their to make it close as possible with that first round  of 9's was  far too generous for that pathetic QS from Nyle especially.  I watch this season to at least think the final 3 can at least be competent  on the required dances. Nyle hasn't improved at all. Where is his growth?  Besides on his face? 

52 minutes ago, FilmTVGeek80 said:

She wasn't everything I could want because she never had any emotional impact for me. Plus, it didn't help that she has so much training that I was never impressed by what she could do, anymore then I was impressed by Nicole S. or Cheryl.

Getting help on a dance you admit you don't have a lot of experience with doesn't mean she can't do what they do. In fact she is doing what they do because all the dancers - even Derek - have used outside help. I think it's refreshing when the pros admit their limits, instead of doing something half-assed because they don't want to admit they need help. They're here to serve their partners - not their egos.

Right on man!

• Love 3

I didn't really like Ginger's freestyle. I guess her first dance was fine. Seriously, that's all I get from her. She dances fine. I don't want someone who dances just fine to win. I liked Nyle's freestyle a lot, it was kind of cool. I liked Paige's salsa a lot. Her freestyle was okay. But.. This finale was kind of meh. Like I expected. I'm hoping fall 2016 will be better. 

• Love 1

When Paige was talking about going back to the town where all the bullying happened, I was thinking instead of saying she was going back to speak at the school, she was going to say something like, "And I'm gonna find those beeyotches and kick some ass!"

But she didn't. Oh well. 

I'm very much not a Ginger fan. Either Nyle or Paige is OK with me. 

• Love 2

I understood what Len was talking about with Paige's hips.  She dances well, but she exudes no sexual chemistry or tension.  In a salsa, you need that oomph to really get the hips going.  Otherwise you're left with a cold, really well danced salsa.

I have a suspicion Mark was so emotional tonight because it'll be his last season.  Ever since his back injury, he's been talking in spades about how Paige is the best partner ever, but in practice he's been bringing his weakest choreography.  That freestyle should have been off the rails crazy with Paige's technique and gymnast abilities, but he made sure to get a check for his fiancée instead.  Priorities indeed.

Ginger was so whiny tonight.  I can't tell if that's because her dances sucked the life out of the ballroom or how they wouldn't shut up about her back.  I really need Val to take a season off because he's just repeating the same playbook year after year. 

Nyle will probably win this thing and that's okay with me because I think he's improved the most and learned the most dance skills this season.  But he got sloppy with his timing more then once tonight.

Can I just say the slow contemporary freestyles are badly overplayed?  We need to start riding more cowboys, people!  Most boring finale night ever.

• Love 5
(edited)

I'm in Paige's corner (not much of a surprise, I know). I'm stunned she actually made the finale...and it would be pretty amazing if someone with a pretty small fanbase (minus an overwhelming human interest story a la JR, Amy, Noah, Nyle etc) coming onto the show could pull off a total victory. The salsa was out of control (maybe 5% too much in a couple sections), but I feel like they should have said because of the degree of difficulty they were judging it out of a possible 11 point scale. I wish though that Mark had taken her freestyle in a different direction than what he did. It was still a fabulous dance, but I would have liked more of a Tina Turner-Proud Mary show stopper like routine...

Honestly, I loved any good Broadway numbers on SYTYCD so I totally get Val taking Ginger in that direction for her freestyle. I've thought throughout the season her best dance characteristics have been when she was able to play up the whimsical and light heartened tones of a few of her dances. Selfishly I would've enjoyed seeing her try to salvage the Janet Jackson dance as her redemption round effort as IMO that was one of the weakest dances of the entire season once we got past the first 3 weeks and down to the people who could actually dance.

I watched Nyle's redemption QS just to see if he could actually improve on it. I guess he did in some capacity, but there were still some parts that just looked janky/awkward. I FF'ed his "greatest in 22 seasons" freestyle (thanks CAI) cause I couldn't deal with the sanctimony. If he wins, so be it I guess. He'd be more deserving than Noah and Alek at least.

Edited by PhD-Purgatory15

Jesus Christ, they tried their to make it close as possible with that first round  of 9's was  far too generous for that pathetic QS from Nyle especially.  I watch this season to at least think the final 3 can at least be competent  on the required dances. Nyle hasn't improved at all. Where is his growth?  Besides on his face? 

I don't think the 9's were too generous. I think they were spot on. Honestly, I was surprised they didn't throw straight tens at all of them, since that's usually what they do unless it's someone they want to get rid of like Alek last season. They always keep it fairly close. But bottom line is Paige is on top of the leader board. If she doesn't win, it shows the majority of her fans didn't pull out the win for her. 

I don't know if Nyle had much growth, but I've loved his dances all season. I don't think Paige grew any either. She started a great technical dancer and ended the same. Of the three finalists, I think Ginger grew the most, though I still found her dancing boring and unmemorable.

• Love 2

I really loved Nyle's freestyle. It was nice to get a contemporary chorographed by someone who knew what they were doing - instead of only melodramatic flailing, every movement had meaning. Props to Peta for going to an expert.

His quickstep was pretty meh though, and he's been a bit lackluster the last few weeks for me, while Paige has been peaking. I could see either of them taking it. Its Marks 30th birthday tomorrow, and I've seen a few pushes to get him a mirrorball for his birthday. That combine with Paiges strength might get them over the top. And since I wouldn't be surprised if this is the end for Mark, wouldn't hate that as a sendoff.

I'd be happy with either Nyle or Paige taking it. My gut still thinks it will be Nyle, but I think Paige has a shot.

55 minutes ago, 90PercentGravity said:

I felt like part of the bench routine was straight up ripped from SYTYCD.

Definitely Mia Michaels bench-with-flower-dancing 101 (circa 10 years ago). I'm a big proponent of remix all you want (Mia doesn't own bench dancing) but WHY add the exact same flower prop and similar gesture? The dance through old props really didn't do it for me, that whole dance just felt like too much going on. 

• Love 3
2 hours ago, Runningwild said:

Nyle was amazing tonight. Paige's dance was good too, but it irks me that she has so much experience. Really showed in that leap she did. 

I thought Paige said she stopped dance classes when she reached high school?  I didn't know she had continued taking classes.  Was she performing as well?  I've really enjoyed her this season and now I know why.  I even saw the growth in her performance quality. 

I admire Nyle for what he accomplished but to me he's not a dancer.  He can't convey the nuances through his body because he can't hear the music (as they like to remind us).  He can learn the steps but being in tune with the music is another story.  I think that's one reason he has so many problems with the quickstep (which didn't deserve 9s).  He can't react to the subtle changes in the music. 

I think Ginger was being "gingerly" because of her injury.  I guess I just didn't enjoy Val's choreography this season.   The dances must've been good with all the 10s she received.  As Len would say, "they just weren't my cup of tea".  I always thought she would end up in the finals but I never felt she would win.  And I still don't. 

I haven't been watching much this season, but I tried to watch the finale dancers. I'm slightly ashamed to admit it, but I Iegit cried at Nyle/Peta's dance. I don't even know why exactly because I see Nyle's posture weaknesses (I'm assuming people mean that he has tight, hunched shoulders). But something about the movement, the music, and their emotions led to tears.

I did not love Paige/Mark's freestyle, although I thought it was excellently danced. But I did love their salsa. It made me want to go out clubbing.

I liked Ginger/Val's freestyle. I thought it was light and fun. But I also thought it was obvious that Ginger's injured.

I think Paige is the best dancer, but I'm going with the fact that I cried to predict a Nyle victory.

• Love 2
(edited)
1 hour ago, movement said:

I thought Paige said she stopped dance classes when she reached high school? 

Some interviews it's stated as high school, other interviews at age 13 or middle school.  I think some of the confusion is in what different school systems call grades 7-12.   Ex. where I grew up, 7-8 was junior high school and 9-12 was high school.  Others call 6-9 middle school, 10-12 high school.  She also moved from Oregon to Reno at that time so again probably different names for middle/high schools.

Adding to the confusion is the penchant of some for exaggeration.  Dancing until you are 13 yrs old does not equal 13 years of dance experience unless you were dancing in your bassinet.  Exaggerations go on from there.

Edited by Uke
  • Love 3

Three contemporary dances, when Contemporary is my least favorite dance form, means it was a pretty mediocre night for me. Still hoping Paige and Mark win the trophy.

The show's been around so long that certain songs are reused. I couldn't help comparing Somewhere Over the Rainbow by Paige, Mark, and BCJean with this one by Dmitry, Chelsie, and Jewel from season 8:

I miss Dmitry and Chelsie. I'd be happy to see them return as pros.

• Love 1
(edited)

Len is nothing, if not a reliable pawn for BBCW.  I like him and I hope he is with the show as long as it runs.  However, he completely missed the relative merits of the redemption dances Paige and Ginger did.  He was technically correct as to a lack of hip action from Paige.  But, the choreo was intentionally physical and not languid.  Len even praised Mark for his choice!  Then, he took a point from the contestant for responding to Mark's lead.  Ginger barely eked out her dance and Len pretended that Martha Graham had entered the ballroom and taken over Ginger's body.  BBCW got what they wanted from Len.  Shenanigans.

Ginger again failed to attack and complete her moves in the 2nd dance, but at least did hit the final few elements.  30 my butt.  Her failure is entirely understandable, but it was blatantly obvious.  I really did appreciate the attempt to include tap elements, but I can not honestly recall another transition in a final freestyle which took so long to kick in.  They hopped back to the stage.  And stood.  And stood.  And stood.  Finally, the music changed and they went into the modified tap.  Of course, not a word from Len about this.  

Nyle was pretty good.  He is definitely athletic.  I just don't see him as a champion.  LIkely due to his deafness, he simply can't intuit and flow between movements.  A+ for effort.  A - for execution.  Clearly better than Ginger.

Paige's freestyle was pretty.  I just wish she would have nailed that final, enormously meaningful, lift.  She was too fast and overshot her mark (pun intended).  They did manage to hold it.  The emotional impact of a crisp landing and hold there would have been huge.  Instead, in that moment of moments, I was taken to a place of, "Ruh roh."  It was the best dance of the night, nonetheless.

Poor Erin's skin was almost scaly.  That dress was gorgeous, but it did not work on her.  The relationship between her bust/torso and the wide design strips was all wrong. 

I'm fine with Nyle winning the traditional weighted pro-male vote.  I would vote for Paige.  If Ginger wins, I'll ail.

Edited by Lonesome Rhodes
  • Love 2

I'm not a big fan of Contemporary under any circumstances, but the one that Nyles and Peta did left me cold.  There were several passages where she danced and he just stood the, and when he did move, he was out of sync.  Yes, deaf, can't hear the music, and all, but these people are supposed to be competing on a level field.  I just didn't feel it.  At least Val and Ginger danced.

• Love 2
(edited)

I forget:

Did people gripe that votes were going Antonio Brown's way because of "Steeler Nation"?

To Noah Galloway, when he "just stood there" (we aren't giving any quarter to "handicaps" remember?)?  Or to JR Martinez or Alek Skarlatos because of their acts of heroism? To Nick Carter from BB fans? Did anyone really think that the NFL's Emmett Smith and Donald Driver won because they out-did Mario Lopez and William Levy, respectively, on dance technique alone?

Nyle was "out of synch" on the floor? By what, a half-second?

Maybe in a world of completely objective scoring and unarguable "fairness," Nyle wouldn't be in the DWTS Finale. But that world isn't Earth, where even the scoring of Olympics judges have been suspect too often.

So if a beautiful and brave (he might have simply forgotten everything that first night, lost in silence and confusion) young man who has demonstrated he can dance, and dance extremely well---it's not like Nyle has been getting grade-school "Participation Awards"--- with no knowledge of what "music" is, employing  just sight; touch, intelligence, and his own natural rhythm,

IF THAT MAN WINS even whilst having been "out of synch" a few times throughout,

I say: GOOD FOR HIM! GO, NYLE and PETA!

Edited by LennieBriscoe
  • Love 15
(edited)
5 hours ago, kitcloudkicker said:

Its Marks 30th birthday tomorrow, and I've seen a few pushes to get him a mirrorball for his birthday. That combine with Paiges strength might get them over the top. And since I wouldn't be surprised if this is the end for Mark, wouldn't hate that as a sendoff.

I just rolled my eyes hard.  They'll hand him the mirror ball and then they'll bring out a cake.

I haven't really watched much of this season, but I followed along by reading recaps and stuff.  I just know I don't want Paige to win.  The girl has dance experience, but it's okay and she deserves the win.  But if she were paired with somebody else, it would not be like that.

Edited by superdeluxe
  • Love 1
3 hours ago, Lonesome Rhodes said:

He was technically correct as to a lack of hip action from Paige

But isn't that what some posters are asking for in regards to Nyle--- judging that is "technically correct"?

• Love 2

Is Mark leaving? He seemed pretty emotional, like he knew this could be his last finale. I don't know what his contract says about how many seasons he has left, if any. 

I liked Nyle and Peta's freestyles but meh on the others. I think Paige should win but fine with Nyle and wouldn't care even if Ginger won, though I don't think she should going by dancing. A Wanya freestyle definitely would have been more fun.

1 hour ago, LennieBriscoe said:

I forget:

Did people gripe that votes were going Antonio Brown's way because of "Steeler Nation"?

To Noah Galloway, when he "just stood there" (we aren't giving any quarter to "handicaps" remember?)?  Or to JR Martinez or Alek Skarlatos because of their acts of heroism? To Nick Carter from BB fans? Did anyone really think that the NFL's Emmett Smith and Donald Driver won because they out-did Mario Lopez and William Levy, respectively, on dance technique alone?

Yes, yes, yes, yes and yes. Of course people complained about those things. That's how the fans of this show roll. They pick a fav and then complain about whoever might be getting in the way of their fav winning. And there are people on every side of the argument. I don't get why that's a problem  

What does Nyle's dance have to do with deaf people raising children? He was understandably emotional and dealing with a new interpreter so I really didn't get his point there. Does anyone know?

• Love 3
(edited)

I've been an interpreter and involved with the Deaf world for over 30 years. There has always been a paternalism in Deaf education and social services. It got very heated when cochlear implants came out and some states forced parents to allow the surgery. There has been a reduction in funding for many schools for the Deaf with kids mainstreamed. Many Deaf people feel that they are a legitimate culture and that there are forces at work to eliminate ASL and their way of life. I'm not Deaf so this is just my observation. It is an extremely touchy subject in the Deaf world.

I want to add that Nyle's experience is not typical. He is a product of a multi-generational Deaf family with support from birth. In many ways he is extremely lucky. Most Deaf children are born to hearing parents and have a huge learning curve with confusing decisions to make (implants? oral education? Sign?). 

Sorry for the tangent, will return you now to Dance! 

Edited by Quickbeam
addition of information
  • Love 7