Type keyword(s) to search

S06.E25: O ke aliʻI wale no kaʻu makemake (My Desire Is Only For The Chief)

• Start Topic

I'm glad there was at least some kind of tie (the meth "epidemic") between the finale eps this season, instead of having 2 unrelated eps like last season's finale. And now we know how old Danny's supposed to be (Scott's--& Alex's--current real life age, 39). And I'm also kinda happy to see McDanno will now be permanently tied together, by virtue of Danny's partial liver donation to Steve. Although, as the daughter of a real life organ (non-liver) transplant recipient (6 years & still doing well, happily), they really minimized what it takes to qualify as a potential donor (it's not just having the same blood type, as Danny said about he & Steve). It's also interesting they've now made Steve a transplant recipient (although, by nature of the show, I'd bet the post-transplant drug protocol for the recipient will be seriously minimized, if seen at all, next season), since Alex O'Loughlin is, in real life, a serious proponent of organ donation & works with an organization called Taylor's Gift (& possibly another, which I can't remember now) in this area.

• Love 5

That was a good episode with the plane crash to the sentimental waiting for Steve to make it. 

The ending was great too with how lighter they made it with Danny and Steve back to their bickering ways. I laughed out loud of Danny telling Steve he'd probably ruin his liver in 2 weeks. 

• Love 1

I actually liked this episode more than the shoot-em-up of the previous episode. This show can be comically over the top sometimes and doesn't hesitate to indulge in ridiculousness but sometimes they knock it out the park and this was one of those episodes.

I didn't find much to nitpick in this episode but how did they blow that helicopter up? It just explodes before the team even gets onto the scene. Did they call Steve's buddies in the Navy to order up a drone strike?

The meth epidemic is strange. They mention how there's no possible way the meth could be coming from the island (because no one's ever hid such things from them before!) so it has to be coming from somewhere else. Apparently there's also a competitor with a similar source. I might have missed something but I feel like they missed explaining something.

Nahele has been friends with McGarrett for a season or two now but the front desk doesn't know who he is? Also, a teenager can barge his way almost all the way into McGarrett's office? Considering the threats 5-0 faces on a weekly basis you would think there would be more than an unprepared desk sergeant guarding the door! Also, doesn't Nahele have a Windows Phone like everybody else? He could have just called.

I really liked the emotional bits towards the end of the episode but I wouldn't have realized unless they pointed it out... it was all about McGarrett! Danny could have died in surgery but no one was going on about how special he was to them. And I know that at this point he's kind of a love-to-hate character but I thought he was great in this episode, especially how he handled landing the plane.

It was great to see everyone in the hospital room at the end. Dog the Bounty Hunter was a little random but sure, why not?

• Love 1

Every time they have the team go undercover I just want to beat them over the head with their scripts. I have literally been repeating this for years; they have all been on television multiple times, next to the Governor at press conferences, splashed on the news as dirty cops and/or escaped convicts. They aren't anonymous! Argh!

If it was so easy to trace the drugs back up the chain, why wasn't it done before? Geez, guess vice should all resign, 5-0 has done their jobs. Agree on the transplant being majorly handwaved. Steve will have to be on anti-rejections drugs for life. So no running off to Morocco or being kidnapped anymore. It will all be forgotten until Steve gets taken hostage and then needing his meds becomes a major plot point.

Because it can't be said too much, no more Gabriel!

• Love 5

The meth epidemic is strange. They mention how there's no possible way the meth could be coming from the island (because no one's ever hid such things from them before!) so it has to be coming from somewhere else. Apparently there's also a competitor with a similar source. I might have missed something but I feel like they missed explaining something.

There was a line in the previous episode where Steve said that the meth was being manufactured somewhere else because there was no way that such a big production operation could be operating on this 'small island' without being noticed.  So, apparently the 'ready to use' meth could be brought in in big quantities, but the actual production would have to be elsewhere.  At least, that's what I understood.   And, you're right--there had to be two large production sites somewhere else, not just one.

The plane crash-landing was done very well, although it was funny that when sirens began sounding on the beach (I think I heard them--maybe used for tsunami warnings?), no one moved until 5-O came on the scene and started yelling for everyone to get off the beach.

I also loved the midnight coffee shop scene with Chin and Steve.  Very well done.

• Love 2

There was a bit of an air of the swan song about this ep--have they been renewed for next year?

And i was yelling at Danny to turn the plane *parallel* to the beach, doofus!  But yes, that was a nice plane crash. :-)

• Love 2

it was funny that when sirens began sounding on the beach (I think I heard them--maybe used for tsunami warnings?), no one moved until 5-O came on the scene and started yelling for everyone to get off the beach.

Yes, those were the tsunami warnings - the locals should have at least started moving and that would have gotten the tourists moving too (if they didn't already know what it is).

And i was yelling at Danny to turn the plane *parallel* to the beach, doofus!  But yes, that was a nice plane crash. :-)

I think he actually did the right thing. The water landing is safer, but he needed the plane to end up on the beach so Steve wouldn't drown. By heading towards the lagoon outside the Hilton, he maximized both. And if he overshot, he'd end up in the shallow lagoon (not in a Hotel lobby). 

I thought it was kind of crappy that nobody thanked Danny. Sure, he's pain in the butt, but the governor could have thanked him. Pretty terrible that his kids got to witness that too. You would think one of the team would have purchased him a pity balloon.

I actually thought Danny might be the one to die due to his neglected injury. He got to land a plane and be the big hero, so that quite often heralds the twist victim (plus they kept showing him holding his side to remind us of the injury - Chin got shot twice and he recovered faster (BTW, it didn't even look like they stitched him up)). Then, when they had the slow-mo walk and gun ejection at the shoot-out, I thought for sure he was goner. But, he only had to give up half his liver.  And he got to drive the plane.

Max is gone for three months with MSF (now that the drug problem he was sticking around for is resolved) and Adam is back in four months. Steve and Danny need time to recover - are we back next season after 3, 4 or 6 months?

3 hours ago, janeta said:

There was a bit of an air of the swan song about this ep--have they been renewed for next year?

Yes, they were renewed for S7 on March 25th.

• Love 2
(edited)

You think a civilian landing a plane on the beach! (and then donating part of a liver!) would have garnered more attention and praise than all the accolades Steve received.  Danny's daughter didn't even seem to be aware of her dad's landing a plane on a public beach, an astonishing feat that surely would have been covered on all the news stations.  National as well as local, no doubt.

I agree with previous posters that it was odd that no one on the beach paid any attention to the tsunami siren, but then again, I kept yelling at the TV through both episodes - "That doesn't make any sense!  This isn't realistic!  That wouldn't have happened that way!"  Mrs. Buckboard kept saying, we don't watch this show for realistic procedurals or for that matter, realism.  

Edited by buckboard
  • Love 7
7 hours ago, buckboard said:

You think a civilian landing a plane on the beach! (and then donating a kidney!) would have garnered more attention and praise than all the accolades Steve received.  Danny's daughter didn't even seem to be aware of her dad's landing a plane on a public beach, an astonishing feat that surely would have been covered on all the news stations.  National as well as local, no doubt.

I agree with previous posters that it was odd that no one on the beach paid any attention to the tsunami siren, but then again, I kept yelling at the TV through both episodes - "That doesn't make any sense!  This isn't realistic!  That wouldn't have happened that way!"  Mrs. Buckboard kept saying, we don't watch this show for realistic procedurals or for that matter, realism.  

@kili: There's an article linked in the Media thread, posted late last night (I think by @Artsda), from Entertainment Weekly, where showrunner Peter Lenkov talks about Gabriel dying & what he sees going on next season. That gives an indication of where next season will probably open, time wise, in relation to where things ended last night. You (& anyone else who hasn't) might wanna read that. Just saying.

@buckboard: Small correction: Steve needed/had a liver transplant, not a kidney transplant (my mom, on the other hand, had a kidney transplant in real life). His liver, of which humans only have 1, was all shot to hell & irreparably damaged, according to the doctor. You can't live without (at least part of) your liver; that's why Steve needed the transplant. Danny donated a portion of his liver to Steve, since he obviously needed to keep some of it to live too, & partial liver transplants are as good as whole liver transplants. As (I think) Kono said to Gracie, Danny gave part of his liver to (Uncle) Steve; Danny & Steve, for now, can live with functioning partial livers &, in time, as (I think) Kono also told Gracie, both of their livers should regenerate the missing part(s)--like crabs & lobsters re-grow their claws when they lose them--& go back to their normal size from before Steve was shot & Danny donated to Steve.

If 1 of Steve's kidneys, as you said, had been shot to hell & irreparably damaged, he'd have been at least a little better off. They'd have just removed the damaged kidney, repaired any other damage, & Steve would've been discharged from the hospital in a few days, since it's possible to live with only 1 functioning kidney.

According to the American Liver Foundation over 17,000 Americans are waiting for a liver transplant.  I wonder why, since apparently all you have to do is be of the same blood type?

Was there any mention of calling Steve's sister (whose name escapes me) to let her know her brother was near death?

• Love 2
On 5/14/2016 at 9:58 AM, kili said:

I thought it was kind of crappy that nobody thanked Danny. Sure, he's pain in the butt, but the governor could have thanked him. Pretty terrible that his kids got to witness that too. You would think one of the team would have purchased him a pity balloon.

I actually thought Danny might be the one to die due to his neglected injury. He got to land a plane and be the big hero, so that quite often heralds the twist victim (plus they kept showing him holding his side to remind us of the injury - Chin got shot twice and he recovered faster (BTW, it didn't even look like they stitched him up)). Then, when they had the slow-mo walk and gun ejection at the shoot-out, I thought for sure he was goner. But, he only had to give up half his liver.  And he got to drive the plane.

I also thought Danny was going to die from his injuries, too, especially since all the care and concern was for Steve. I'm sure the "no thanks to Danny" was played for laughs but I felt it jarring because of the seriousness of the events. Then again, I always liked Danny--or rather, the 1st season Danny who was a great cop, before the writers turned him into a whiny jackass. Also, the hesitation to kill the bad guy--I wondered why he hesitated when we've seen him kill for revenge before (the guy that killed his brother). I'm glad he didn't kill the guy, but since he'd done it once before, this time felt off.

I came here just to comment on the ridic that was Wo-Fat senior and none of you even mentioned it - which leads me to believe we all thought it so ludicrous that surely it was a fever dream. One I hope to forget immediately. 

Loved Danny's slo-mo cartridge drop and seeing everyone at the hospital (altho did Grace have but one full line? If that?) Even Duke came to sit vigil. I mean, you know Steve's near death when Kamekona shuts down the shrimp truck!!

WTF with Dog the Bounty Hunter??? He has a car seat in his bounty hunter vehicle?!

• Love 4

Oh yeah, Wo-Fat senior - I thought that was laying groundwork for next season's big bad wolf.

Ridiculously over-the-top as usual but sadly lacking the humor to get away with it. (Everybody treating Danny like a POS is not funny.) When Danny hero-walked into the drug trafficking hangar (where drugs were handled in broad daylight) and bullets were flying around everywhere all I could think was 'Too bad Arrow decided to go nuclear this week - you're not winning the death-toll competition show, no matter how hard you try.'

As far as I'm concerned Steve getting shot after threatening a junkie with a fatal overdose and breaking the arm of someone in Police custody was karma kicking his ass. As others have mentioned the writers didn't even read up on Wikipedia how a liver transplant works. I wonder if we ever see him take his immunosuppressants or follow dietary restrictions for liver transplant recipients.

• Love 3
14 hours ago, kimaken said:

this part bothers me, as they also played up how much Steve helped everyone but Danny has done his share too.  I get it was played for laughs but it makes it a fail.

Realism isn't an issue with this show.  It is the old throwback to the 60's & 70's when you did what you wanted for plot points even if it hurts the character.  I can understand you watch to just relax and enjoy the show, but I also like to be surprised. 

I haven't been faithful watching, so I guess I missed when they changed Danny to always complaining before the dangerous stunts.  I still wonder if they can't figure out why people liked this show in the beginning.  I get the writers like to give a little for everyone but couldn't they have shown Danny a little love and still go for a competition of who got the most love?  There were other options...I can over look some of it...but I think audiences can handle a more realistic approach to this story and it could have been a really nice mix of comic and heart.

• Love 3

Yeah, regarding the liver transplant, I think we'll just all have to suspend disbelief.  That just because Danny is the same blood type, that he can get whisked into surgery and have the liver harvesting and transplant performed - in even side-by-side in the same operating room!  And then they recover seemingly immediately and are parked next to each other in the same room, rather than hooked up to all sorts of monitors and in the ICU.  If it were really only that easy.

Didn't really understand the whole Wo-Fat senior thing in Morocco, but at this point, I'm beyond caring.

Why does the juvenile delinquent keep showing up?

Seemed like everybody showed up.  Where was John Locke?  Got a chuckle out of Sang Min's get well card.  And agree that Danny should have gotten some thanks, but I guess that was the whole point of the bit.

Glad that Gabriel is finally gone, but without being spoiled, I'm not looking forward to Shioma becoming the next big villain.

21 hours ago, betsyboo said:

I came here just to comment on the ridic that was Wo-Fat senior and none of you even mentioned it - which leads me to believe we all thought it so ludicrous that surely it was a fever dream. One I hope to forget immediately.

My first reaction, when he was speaking all wise and shit, was "what? they have the Dalai Lama in protective custody?" (yes, I know he doesn't look like the DL).

My second thought when Steve needed the liver was "Oh, that was a way to remind us of Doris and she'll miraculously show up." Now I don't know what to think.

Count me in on thinking they were pretty crappy to Danny. He may be irritating - but he was the man of the hour and offered up his liver without hesitation (however unrealistic it was). Steve's refusal to thank him was more annoying than Danny was in the last two episodes.

• Love 7

I totally agree that having Danny basically ignored for what he did (landing the plane, donating a piece of his liver) was bad.  I think it might have worked better if both of them had flowers, balloons, fruit baskets, etc. in their hospital room and then Danny started complaining about how Steve had more flowers, balloons, etc. than he did (like two siblings arguing over who got the most Christmas presents).  That way, Danny would have been acknowledged but there would have still been a way for them to still bicker about the situation.

• Love 7

This really did feel like it could have been a series finale, what with the closure that Steve got from Wo Fat Sr, the reminiscing from Grover, the reminiscing from Kono, and of course, the bickering couple in side by side hospital beds.  The show ends and they go on bickering for eternity in re-runs.  I am assuming at the time this was filmed that they weren't aware if they were going to get renewed or not, and most of the websites I looked at said this show was on the bubble.

There was a lot of unrealism as usual, especially with respect to the liver transplant.  Why was Nahele even there at the hospital?  I know his dad was in prison and died on that bus crash... who is he living with now?  I think he's about 16 so too young to be on his own.  I don't care that he thinks of Steve as a father figure, I found it odd that Nahele was at the hospital instead of some others.  In particular, the blonde twit that I think is still Steve's current girlfriend (the one from the deserted island and the Valentine's Day hijinx) and the blonde twit that is Danny's girlfriend.  Wouldn't these two have been the first ones to have been called?  Why wasn't Danny's nephew there?  I get that it was played for laughs that it was all about Steve and who cares about Danny, but Danny had his two kids there, you would think they would also have had his nephew there.  I would also think that after he almost died in a plane crash that his mom would have made the trip from New Jersey.  But the show instead chose to bring in Dog the Bounty Hunter?  Very odd.

Lastly, the foremost question on my mind, I hope that Alex and Malia O'Lachlan's son Lion and Scott Cann's daughter didn't get too freaked out if they saw their dads lying on an operating table and getting cut open.  That kind of thing can scar a kid and those kids are probably too young to understand what acting is!

It's been an entertaining ride this season, and I am looking forward to being back next season and making fun of and criticising this show, with the occasional liking.  I don't particularly desire to see San Francisco Police Lady, Jerry Garcia, Judd Hirsch or Gabriella Wo Fat ever again, but if they are back, you can be assured that I will enjoy ripping on them!

• Love 3
On 5/14/2016 at 8:32 PM, BW Manilowe said:

I'm glad there was at least some kind of tie (the meth "epidemic") between the finale eps this season, instead of having 2 unrelated eps like last season's finale. And now we know how old Danny's supposed to be (Scott's--& Alex's--current real life age, 39). And I'm also kinda happy to see McDanno will now be permanently tied together, by virtue of Danny's partial liver donation to Steve. Although, as the daughter of a real life organ (non-liver) transplant recipient (6 years & still doing well, happily), they really minimized what it takes to qualify as a potential donor (it's not just having the same blood type, as Danny said about he & Steve). It's also interesting they've now made Steve a transplant recipient (although, by nature of the show, I'd bet the post-transplant drug protocol for the recipient will be seriously minimized, if seen at all, next season), since Alex O'Loughlin is, in real life, a serious proponent of organ donation & works with an organization called Taylor's Gift (& possibly another, which I can't remember now) in this area.

Oh yes.  I love this show.  I really, really do.  I'm willing to suspend a lot of disbelief for this show.

But the instant liver transplant plotline?  That's just not right.  My sister had a liver transplant (albeit, not because her original liver was shot up by drug runners) and...there's really no comparison between what she and her family went through and what they depicted in this episode.  Yes.  It is TV.  Yes.  They once detonated a nuclear device barely offshore with little to no consequences.  Imma gonna let it go, but I've got my eyes on you, show.

Regardless if the transplant was from traumatic reasons, or liver disease reasons, the surgery is very, very major, and the recovery is long and involved.  And that is X2 because Danny went through the same surgery.  My sister had a whole new liver from a donor, so she didn't have the whole "grow into full size" issues that both Steve and Danny will have, but her recovery and drug regimen was huge.  HUGE.  I hope when we come back from hiatus we see Steve and Danny taking it a bit easy, occasionally clutching their sides, and with lots of prescription bottles visible in their homes. 

But other than that, I liked the episode.  Didn't like the pooping on Danny thing there at the end.  He really did save the day multiple times, and half the time with extremely painful broken ribs.  I did see some "solutions" in fanfic, so I feel a little better, and will retcon that in my own head.

I can't wait for next season!

• Love 2
(edited)

It's been an entertaining ride this season, and I am looking forward to being back next season and making fun of and criticising this show, with the occasional liking.  I don't particularly desire to see San Francisco Police Lady, Jerry Garcia, Judd Hirsch or Gabriella Wo Fat ever again, but if they are back, you can be assured that I will enjoy ripping on them!

@blackwing, Judd Hirsh?

Edited by clanstarling
3 hours ago, clanstarling said:

@blackwing, Judd Hirsh?

I don't know if people are just mistaking Elliot Gould for Judd Hirsch, joking or the characters name of Hirsch is causing the mistake. I remember posting Sherman "Jefferson  instead his name ;) by mistake when posting about Amen once

7 hours ago, clanstarling said:

@blackwing, Judd Hirsh?

3 hours ago, Raja said:

I don't know if people are just mistaking Elliot Gould for Judd Hirsch, joking or the characters name of Hirsch is causing the mistake. I remember posting Sherman "Jefferson  instead his name ;) by mistake when posting about Amen once

@blackwing is just poking fun at the little guy (who, frankly will always be Mozzie from White Collar to me.) I legit don't remember his name, except his last name is Hirsch and it just evolved into Judd. (However, the actual Judd was SUBLIME on TBBT with Christine Baranski and Laurie Metcalf last week. delightful.)

• Love 1
9 hours ago, clanstarling said:

@blackwing, Judd Hirsh?

They mean the guy who has a longstanding crush on Kono, despite the fact he knows she's very married to Adam Noshimuri. The actor, whose real name escapes me right now, played Mozzie on White Collar. I think his character name here is Gerard Hirsch. If I remember correctly (& with 6 seasons under my belt, things may be starting to blur together), Hirsch first got involved with Five-0 in that ep where Chin & Kono were hostages of some art-related criminals (thieves &/or forgers). Then he ended up becoming sort of a criminal informant/periodic operative type for Five-0, & his legit line of work has since been an artist of tourist caricatures along (I think) Waikīkī Beach, as well as an employee/owner(?) of a service which helps clean up (usually bloody) crime scenes. We last saw him in the ep where Chin's niece/Gabriel's daughter, Sara, was introduced. Hirsch's team was cleaning up the crime scene & he somehow encountered Sara's mother's killer & ended up in the emergency room from it. We also met his dad, who was played by Elliott Gould.

I always refer to him as Mozzie* in order to prevent any mistakes - neither his character's name (Gerard Hirsch) nor his real name (Willie Garson) seems to stick. Which is a bit unfair as Garson is always great.

(*Before he was Mozzie he was of course Stanford for those of us willing to admit having watched SATC.)

• Love 4
16 hours ago, blackwing said:
6 hours ago, BW Manilowe said:

They mean the guy who has a longstanding crush on Kono, despite the fact he knows she's very married to Adam Noshimuri. The actor, whose real name escapes me right now, played Mozzie on White Collar. I think his character name here is Gerard Hirsch. If I remember correctly (& with 6 seasons under my belt, things may be starting to blur together), Hirsch first got involved with Five-0 in that ep where Chin & Kono were hostages of some art-related criminals (thieves &/or forgers). Then he ended up becoming sort of a criminal informant/periodic operative type for Five-0, & his legit line of work has since been an artist of tourist caricatures along (I think) Waikīkī Beach, as well as an employee/owner(?) of a service which helps clean up (usually bloody) crime scenes. We last saw him in the ep where Chin's niece/Gabriel's daughter, Sara, was introduced. Hirsch's team was cleaning up the crime scene & he somehow encountered Sara's mother's killer & ended up in the emergency room from it. We also met his dad, who was played by Elliott Gould.

Thanks, I am really bad with names, especially tertiary characters. And I absolutely love the real Judd Hirsch, so I was confused.

• Love 1
(edited)

I'm glad the show is returning. It's a great mindless Friday night show. Although, I wish it wasn't so mindless. Everything is SO unrealistic and OTT now. Everyone jumps from one building to another and no one sprains or breaks an ankle? Gabriel the wounded murderer is able to jump too? C'mon! This show really could be a lot better but I guess you have to do the jumps, car crashes and everyone getting shot for a Friday show. The one thing that never gets old is O and Cann. They are so good together. I'm gonna hate when Cann is missing from his usual 5 or so episodes next season. I'm assuming next year will be it's last, right? I hope he is able to be on all 24-25 episodes to close out the shows run.

Edited by ByaNose

Gabriel the wounded murderer is able to jump too? C'mon!

He goes from mortally wounded dragging himself along the floor to running and jumping 7 feet. LOL.  .

• Love 1
30 minutes ago, kili said:

He goes from mortally wounded dragging himself along the floor to running and jumping 7 feet. LOL.  .

Well, he is the guy who managed to run off after falling out of a high window onto an SUV...he's Claire from Heroes. LOL

• Love 4
12 hours ago, ByaNose said:

I'm glad the show is returning. It's a great mindless Friday night show. Although, I wish it wasn't so mindless. Everything is SO unrealistic and OTT now. Everyone jumps from one building to another and no one sprains or breaks an ankle? Gabriel the wounded murderer is able to jump too? C'mon! This show really could be a lot better but I guess you have to do the jumps, car crashes and everyone getting shot for a Friday show. The one thing that never gets old is O and Cann. They are so good together. I'm gonna hate when Cann is missing from his usual 5 or so episodes next season. I'm assuming next year will be it's last, right? I hope he is able to be on all 24-25 episodes to close out the shows run.

Small point: It's CAAN, with 2 A's, not 2 N's.

It hasn't been announced, in any shape, form, or fashion, that S7 is or will be the last season. If that's what they were planning, then they probably would've said so in connection with the renewal announcement, just as they did with all of the series for which the 2016-17 TV season will be the last first-run season. Now we likely won't know about the show's future beyond S7 until around this time next year.

If ratings are any indication, & they remain stable, at least as of now, it might go to at least S8. It's been in the Top 20 most, if not all, of this season; & it appears the finale eps ranked #12 (Ep 624--Part 1) & #11 (Ep 625--Part 2 & the actual season finale ep) for last week's TV ratings... Almost in the Top 10. Even with the added expense of location filming in Hawaii, networks rarely cancel shows with those kinds of ratings, even "aging" ones like H50. 

(edited)

Having just returned from Oahu yesterday, I had s better perspective of the resort area  while watching than I did before . It looked to me like Danny landed the plane in the middle of the beach, closer to the Surfrider. The Hilton is all the way at the end of the strip snd it doesn't have much of a beach area. At least not that I saw Friday when l was there for the fireworks. But I could've missed it.

either way, I half expected the plane to crash into a hotel Or end up in a pool.

Edited by Sake614
On May 16, 2016 at 1:24 AM, Mittengirl said:

I can't remember, are we positive that Wo-Fat is dead?

No, he's over on Agents of SHIELD... Oh, oops, never mind. ;-)

(edited)

I totally thought Steve was going to inject the druggie with the meth. I guess he draws the line there. Breaking someone's arm though, no sweat.

I get that the water landing was a no go, but they still could have landed in the shallow water parallel near the beach though. 

Awesome Grover just ripping the door off.

They couldn't license the original Smuggler's Blues?

Edited by ganesh
On 5/16/2016 at 4:59 PM, blackwing said:

I get that it was played for laughs that it was all about Steve and who cares about Danny, but Danny had his two kids there, you would think they would also have had his nephew there.

He was probably deputized (temporary badge!  Sorry Jerry!) to hold down the fort back at 5-0 since the entire rest of the crew was at the hospital, apparently for the entire assessment, transplant procedure (surely hours long?), and recovery.  Nice of the island's lowlifes to suspend all hostilities while everyone was off duty.  Heck, they probably all sent Steve cards too.  

I too thought the no-thanks-no-cards stuff was awful, but then I did realize Danny had his two kids right by his side, and Steve didn't have any family.  Sure, cards from Sang Min et al., but no mom, sis, aunt (did she die?  I skipped that last one where Burnett appeared), Catherine, etc.  Cards on the mantelpiece aren't going to keep him warm at night or change his medical dressing....so in some ways Danny wins out.

I guess Dog the Bounty Hunter had another cameo written into his contract?  He looked awful.

Mr. Jobiska yelled at the TV when the doctor came out and announced the medical info to the entire waiting room--privacy laws and all.  I said "uh, do you remember what show we're watching?"  Probably 5-0 gets immunity from HIPAA regulations too!  

8 hours ago, Jobiska said:

He was probably deputized (temporary badge!  Sorry Jerry!) to hold down the fort back at 5-0 since the entire rest of the crew was at the hospital, apparently for the entire assessment, transplant procedure (surely hours long?), and recovery.  Nice of the island's lowlifes to suspend all hostilities while everyone was off duty.  Heck, they probably all sent Steve cards too.  

I too thought the no-thanks-no-cards stuff was awful, but then I did realize Danny had his two kids right by his side, and Steve didn't have any family.  Sure, cards from Sang Min et al., but no mom, sis, aunt (did she die?  I skipped that last one where Burnett appeared), Catherine, etc.  Cards on the mantelpiece aren't going to keep him warm at night or change his medical dressing....so in some ways Danny wins out.

I guess Dog the Bounty Hunter had another cameo written into his contract?  He looked awful.

Mr. Jobiska yelled at the TV when the doctor came out and announced the medical info to the entire waiting room--privacy laws and all.  I said "uh, do you remember what show we're watching?"  Probably 5-0 gets immunity from HIPAA regulations too!  

My Mom underwent a kidney transplant, but from a cadaver donor, about 5 1/2 years ago. I don't think transplants take as long (at least not these days) as you implied. I know my Mom's wasn't all day; maybe only 2-3 hours at most.

Yep, Aunt Deb (Carol Burnett's character) died in the last ep she appeared in. So that explains why no card from her to Steve. Mary, his sis, has always been kinda flaky--though she is trying to be better & seems to be a good mother to her adopted daughter, Joanie. So that ("flaky") probably explains why no card from her & Joanie. Besides, we can fanwank that they may go visit Steve once he's out of the hospital. As for Catherine, I think the storyline has her on a "deep cover" assignment in the Ukraine, for whomever she's working for now, & I think Steve knows about that. So she probably doesn't even know he's been so sick; especially since Steve wouldn't have told her because he deleted her from his contacts (which we saw in an ep). So that explains why no card from Catherine. Just saying regarding all 3.

I didn't expect them to show up, I was just looking for crumbs of consolation for poor Danny.  Steve had cards, but Danny at least had kids.  Otherwise the meanness about ha ha no cards would have been unbearable.

2-3 hours (plus travel time, hanging out during recovery, etc.) is still a long time for 5-0 plus various members of HPD to hang out leaving the shop unattended is my point.  Heck, all that stomping around an abandoned building and shooting up an entire neighborhood in the previous episode took less time than Yakuza mom's two little girls' swim lesson.

I'm just making fun, not trying to be totally literal about exactly how long procedures take.  With how much crime apparently goes on in Hawaii if this show is to be believed, five seconds is really too long to leave the shop unattended!  

On ‎14‎/‎05‎/‎2016 at 8:10 AM, Vermicious Knid said:

Steve will have to be on anti-rejections drugs for life. So no running off to Morocco or being kidnapped anymore.

Most people probably ALWAYS try to avoid being kidnapped: for Steve, that's going to cause major changes in his lifestyle!

On ‎16‎/‎05‎/‎2016 at 6:24 AM, Mittengirl said:

are we positive that Wo-Fat is dead?

He was shot at close range by Steve and then the gang appeared to save Steve... if this were Jason Vorhees, they'd check Steve was OK only to turn and see the empty space where the body wasn't.... Five-O is mildly more realistic (probably), so he's almost certainly dead.

• Love 1

Between Wo Fat or Gabriel returning as a/the "big bad", I'd put more money on Gabriel than Wo Fat. As I remember, everybody walked out past Wo Fat's body, dead on the floor, when Steve got rescued by the team at the end of Ep 507. Even though I think Lenkov & everybody else is swearing Gabriel died this past season, we never saw his dead body/his funeral. I think Chin just told Steve he had died in surgery at 1 of the local hospitals.

Something to look forward to: Episode 707 (I think they're filming Ep 702 now, & Scott Caan seems to be in both 701 & 702, based on recent social media pics from the set including him) will be #150 for this version of the series.